PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Albert may not be done here !

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Branden Albert, Chiefs hoping to work out contract0By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer

Published: Feb. 22, 2014 at 12:08 p.m.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Despite rampant speculation to the contrary, the Kansas City Chiefs have not decided to let left tackle Branden Albert walk in free agency.

General manager John Dorsey told NFL Media's Steve Wyche on Friday that the Chiefs are still hoping to work out a deal for Albert before free agency begins in March.

Dorsey declined to say if the franchise tag would be an option should the sides fail to reach an accord. Because he was tagged last year, Albert would merit a 120 percent raise on his $9.828 million contract from 2013.

More proof that Albert remains in the team's plans? Dorsey told reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine on Friday that 2013 No. 1 overall draft pick Eric Fisher is still penciled in as a right tackle, not a left tackle.

Albert is one of this year's top 10 free agents. If he's kept off the market, tackle-needy teams such as the Arizona Cardinals will be disappointed.

As for quarterback Alex Smith, Dorsey confirmed to Wyche that an extension is on the agenda, but there is no rush to complete a deal.

Neither Albert nor Smith can be blamed for the Chiefs' late-season collapse. This offense scored 35 points in five of their last seven games, including four games with more than 40 points.

TimBone
02-22-2014, 12:11 PM
I just don't see it happening. No way we can afford it if we want to shore up FS and WR.

kysirsoze
02-22-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm still thinking no.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Good thing for him he didn't get traded to the Fins. Frat Albert would be hard to live down.

Rausch
02-22-2014, 12:15 PM
I just don't see it happening. No way we can afford it if we want to shore up FS and WR.

The only way this happens is if he eats $3it like T. Jax did...

Titty Meat
02-22-2014, 12:15 PM
He's done here.

O.city
02-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Salary cap is at 132. I wouldn't be so sure he's gone

Rausch
02-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Salary cap is at 132. I wouldn't be so sure he's gone

He's gone...

Mr. Christopher
02-22-2014, 12:19 PM
I'd be willing to bet this is nothing more than a PR stunt maybe to cause another team to overpay for his services. I don't know why they would do that, but I just don't see Albert coming back A), with our cap issues, B) with Albert's history with the team so far. I don't think there's any loyalty there, and I don't see him helping them out with a "hometown discount."

Rausch
02-22-2014, 12:20 PM
I don't think there's any loyalty there, and I don't see him helping them out with a "hometown discount."

Since FA started there never has been and never will be a "hometown discount."

jspchief
02-22-2014, 12:25 PM

Wanting and doing are not the same thing.

What good is gained by shoring up free safety if they create a hole at LT in the process? What spot is tougher to fill with competent play?

O.city
02-22-2014, 12:27 PM

What good is gained by shoring up free safety if they create a hole at LT in the process? What spot is tougher to fill with competent play?

I think we saw we can get competent, not necessarily great but competent lt play in house.

FS which in this scheme seems to be of uber importance, we don't have shit on the roster.

mcaj22
02-22-2014, 12:29 PM

we win that playoff game with any other FS not named Kendrick Lewis. that's what good is gained.

Rausch
02-22-2014, 12:29 PM

Our super-duper "swing Tackle" was just fine.

He actually did appear solid at LT and RT.

Lewis is done and apparently forever injured...

Hoover
02-22-2014, 12:31 PM
We don't need a FA WR people. That's why there is a draft.

#1 FA priority is a FS because we can't solve that in Free Agency
#2 OG/Oline depth
Then maybe McCluster or a FA WR

-King-
02-22-2014, 12:35 PM
What else would Dorsey say?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
02-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Agreed.

BYRD...

#2 OG/Oline depth

Big John should be cheap to resign and we can't do much worse than we had with the other side.

No...

ILChief
02-22-2014, 12:48 PM
10% chance

Eleazar
02-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Given that his health seems to be precarious from play to play and the fact that there was no perceptible drop-off when he was out, it would be monumentally foolish to give him that kind of contract. Historically foolish

O.city
02-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Bills just said they'll be franchising Byrd so move in from that

J Diddy
02-22-2014, 01:01 PM
I doubt seriously that we get ourselves a stud FS. Hopefully we find a competent one and I think that that will pay huge dividends.

MotherfuckerJones
02-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Not buying it

CoMoChief
02-22-2014, 01:12 PM

Sanders Commings will be the starting FS next season. I just really don't think we're going to address that position via FA. If anything it will be via 2014 Draft.

As far as WR goes. Someone will have to restructure like Hali or Berry. That truly is a position of need, more so than FS imo...Hopefully Maclin can come cheap on an incentive based deal. Get Chase Daniel on the recruiting committee!

Chiefs are what...$6-$7M under the cap?

MotherfuckerJones
02-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Bills just said they'll be franchising Byrd so move in from that

Pipe dream anyways

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-22-2014, 01:16 PM
The 1st rounder is a 23 & no second rounder. The draft reserve $$ shouldn't be much.

BossChief
02-22-2014, 01:21 PM
The Chiefs are 8.6 under the cap if it goes up to 132 and that doesn't include the 2.5 million rollover...so with that figured in we should have about 11 million in cap space. Not sure if that 132 figure factors in the NFLPA 2 million dollar option...so that number could be even higher. Maybe as much as 13 million in cap space.

Between Hali, Bowe and Berry they have 23 million in combined base salaries that can be converted to bonuses to clear up at least another 10 million and as much as another 20 million in space if they want to push those dollars into future years where the cap is expected to continue to rise with the new tv deals factoring in.

suzzer99
02-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Does anyone else worry the problem with our secondary is our scheme and coaching? We have two pro-bowlers and two other corners who were decent. Plenty of other teams have one weak link in their secondary and still don't get completely ass-raped like we did the entire second half of the season.

I knew we had a very good chance of losing that Colts game as soon as Luck scored that quick TD to pull it to 21 down. No team with two pro-bowlers in their secondary and one sucky safety should ever lay down and die like that.

BossChief
02-22-2014, 01:34 PM
The secondary (sans Lewis) was pretty damn good when we were putting pressure on quarterbacks.

jspchief
02-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Does anyone else worry the problem with our secondary is our scheme and coaching? We have two pro-bowlers and two other corners who were decent. Plenty of other teams have one weak link in their secondary and still don't get completely ass-raped like we did the entire second half of the season.

I knew we had a very good chance of losing that Colts game as soon as Luck scored that quick TD to pull it to 21 down. No team with two pro-bowlers in their secondary and one sucky safety should ever lay down and die like that.

Yes I worry about it. As bad as our FS play was, lack of pass rush and a scheme/coaching that couldn't adjust was the real problem with the defense. With all pro play at FS, the defense in its current form will still get raped by good teams.

Conversely, I feel like the D could get by on moderate improvement at safety with better scheme/coaching.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-22-2014, 01:45 PM
That's a valid point. Yes ,Dunta needed replaced but our loss to the Colts was because of our secondary scheme which was a coaching failure. If they had played top down we would have won.

Titty Meat
02-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Sanders Commings will be the starting FS next season. I just really don't think we're going to address that position via FA. If anything it will be via 2014 Draft.

As far as WR goes. Someone will have to restructure like Hali or Berry. That truly is a position of need, more so than FS imo...Hopefully Maclin can come cheap on an incentive based deal. Get Chase Daniel on the recruiting committee!

Chiefs are what...$6-$7M under the cap?

Sanders Commings will not be the starter next year and if he is we are in trouble.

jd1020
02-22-2014, 02:02 PM
I would hate to think what this would do for Fishers confidence if we were to re-sign Albert after he was supposedly out the door. We can't be hurting peoples confidence in KC.

T-post Tom
02-22-2014, 02:13 PM
FO misinformation. It's draft season, all FO's are on spin cycle.

wazu
02-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Dorsey declined to say if the franchise tag would be an option should the sides fail to reach an accord. Because he was tagged last year, Albert would merit a 120 percent raise on his $9.828 million contract.

Wha...? A 120% raise? So north of $20 million for one year? Knew it was steep but for that you might as well not even have it as an option. That's gotta be wrong.

T-post Tom
02-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Sanders Commings will not be the starter next year and if he is we are in trouble.

I would hope this is true. At the very least, they'll bring in competition. I doubt the FO wants to depend on what is essentially a rookie with little pro experience and injury issues. I'd be shocked if they didn't address the FS position through FA.

TimeForWasp
02-22-2014, 02:20 PM
They may be wanting to get him signed , then trade him.

jspchief
02-22-2014, 02:22 PM
I would hate to think what this would do for Fishers confidence if we were to re-sign Albert after he was supposedly out the door. We can't be hurting peoples confidence in KC.

If he doesn't start playing better, who gives a shit about his confidence?

Mr. Christopher
02-22-2014, 02:22 PM

#2 OG/Oline depth

WR is deep in the draft anyway. We could pick up a decent guy in the third or fourth round.

Red Dawg
02-22-2014, 02:44 PM
He will only stay if he wants to. Money wise he will get more on the market.

Brock
02-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Wha...? A 120% raise? So north of $20 million for one year? Knew it was steep but for that you might as well not even have it as an option. That's gotta be wrong.

It's a 20 pct raise.

TambaBerry
02-22-2014, 02:49 PM

120% or 9.8 times 1.2 is roughly 11.8 million would be his tag number

htismaqe
02-22-2014, 03:18 PM

:bravo:

Baby Lee
02-22-2014, 03:25 PM
120% or 9.8 times 1.2 is roughly 11.8 million would be his tag number

Pedantically, that is a rise to 120% of his current rate.

A 120% raise is properly the approx 20M stated above.

Anyong Bluth
02-22-2014, 03:29 PM
I like BA, and love to have him. I do ? if that big of an investment is wisest spent on him vs other positions of greater need with how Fish and Don Don handled themselves down the stretch...

FloridaMan88
02-22-2014, 03:41 PM
So basically the Chiefs used a #1 overall pick on a right tackle.

This franchise is fail.

jspchief
02-22-2014, 03:56 PM
So basically the Chiefs used a #1 overall pick on a right tackle.

This franchise is fail.

Yeah there's probably 3 tackles in this draft that are better prospects than Fisher was and none of them will go 1.1

TribalElder
02-22-2014, 04:05 PM
The bama tackle the chargers drafted performed much better than 1.1 :facepalm:

D J Fluker pick #11

chiefzilla1501
02-22-2014, 04:07 PM
The bama tackle the chargers drafted performed much better than 1.1 :facepalm:

D J Fluker pick #11

Who cares? We knew that Fisher coming from a small school would take a little longer to develop. It's the reason people preferred Fisher over Joeckl.

htismaqe
02-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Who cares? We knew that Fisher coming from a small school would take a little longer to develop. It's the reason people preferred Fisher over Joeckl.

Develop into what?

Most people here liked his athleticism as a potential LT.

He is, according to the team, a RIGHT tackle.

You can spin it all you want, it wasn't a good pick.

BigMeatballDave
02-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Develop into what?

I don't think anyone has said it was a good pick.

He's a RT until Albert signs elsewhere.

Anyong Bluth
02-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Not this shit again. It's been 1 season. Ya, verdict is still out on Fish. Only more scrutiny because of where he was picked. May turn out to be fine - he's not breaking bank or crippling the franchise for the future.

So please, shut the fuck up with this myopic shit as if his value or play is set in Stone after season 1.

Simply Red
02-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Albert may not be done here !

http://i.imgur.com/Ymh4ODs.gif

http://i.imgur.com/ryOFXfK.gif

Red Dawg
02-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Not this shit again. It's been 1 season. Ya, verdict is still out on Fish. Only more scrutiny because of where he was picked. May turn out to be fine - he's not breaking bank or crippling the franchise for the future.

So please, shut the **** up with this myopic shit as if his value or play is set in Stone after season 1.

This is dead on. The couch potato nfl coaches need to stfu about Fish. He will de solid in year 2 I think.

htismaqe
02-22-2014, 04:28 PM
I don't think anyone has said it was a good pick.

He's a RT until Albert signs elsewhere.

According to John Dorsey, he's a RT period. Nothing was said about Albert.

htismaqe
02-22-2014, 04:28 PM
This is dead on. The couch potato nfl coaches need to stfu about Fish. He will de solid in year 2 I think.

ROFL

Simply Red
02-22-2014, 04:29 PM

awful post.

chiefzilla1501
02-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Develop into what?

I'm not spinning this into a good pick. I never have. And I never will. I didn't like the pick and know he won't ever live up to the 1.1 billing. That doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a quality tackle.

And I could give a shit what the team says he will be, especially in spin season as they figure out what to do with Albert. Joe Staley was a Right Tackle too before he became a LT. There's no doubt that his skill sets are better suited for the Left.

chiefzilla1501
02-22-2014, 04:40 PM

So please, shut the **** up with this myopic shit as if his value or play is set in Stone after season 1.

This.

I've said several times and nobody's really responded that the new CBA has made it extremely difficult for rookies to break in because they've cut out a TON of rookies' offseason work. Especially difficult for a guy like Fisher, who needs a ton of help having come from a small school.

Fish will have a full offseason to work with coaches, to work on a conditioning plan (which I imagine he is already on), and should hopefully finally have a healthy shoulder. And there's no denying he improved a lot throughout the season. These are big reasons to at least be optimstic that he'll get better.

Eleazar
02-22-2014, 05:02 PM
The thing is, if Fisher works out they look like geniouses (CP spelling). If they re-sign Albert and Fisher stinks and it's Albert and Stephenson from there on, then we're still screwing ourselves with two big LT contracts and only one serviceable LT.

They already made the gambit when they drafted Fisher. It was a gamble. Go through with it. Don't start backtracking now and panic-pay an aging, average tackle a huge contract. You make the upside play.

MIAdragon
02-22-2014, 05:13 PM

While not set in stone, he looked like absolute ASS when he was actually on the field.

Anyong Bluth
02-22-2014, 05:14 PM
The thing is, if Fisher works out they look like geniouses (CP spelling). If they re-sign Albert and Fisher stinks and it's Albert and Stephenson from there on, then we're still screwing ourselves with two big LT contracts and only one serviceable LT.

They already made the gambit when they drafted Fisher. It was a gamble. Go through with it. Don't start backtracking now and panic-pay an aging, average tackle a huge contract. You make the upside play.

Everything checks out except average tackle. He was most definitely an elite tackle in pass protection last year, and this is a passing league now. Yes, subpar in rush, maybe, but he graded out extremely solid in the pivotal area.

RealSNR
02-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Everything checks out except average tackle. He was most definitely an elite tackle in pass protection last year, and this is a passing league now. Yes, subpar in rush, maybe, but he graded out extremely solid in the pivotal area.

Exactly.

Tons of speculation is getting tossed around about what Albert's camp REALLY wants in terms of dollar figures. We have no clue if he wants a contract that will "break the bank." That might be what the agent wants, but we don't know.

Meanwhile, it's pretty convenient to call Albert an average schlub when getting rid of him will potentially justify a shitty and stupid decision you made with the 1.1 pick last year.

Albert's a good player. He's a good tackle. He's not average. He's solidly good. He's a veteran presence on the line, and he was by far our best offensive lineman on the team last year.

Yes, the contract is the key, but this team does NOT get better by ditching him. At least not in the short term. If he can be kept, then he absolutely should.

Dayze
02-22-2014, 06:12 PM
piss off Albert.

you'll get average pay from us; want more? Piss off.

O.city
02-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Exactly.

Tons of speculation is getting tossed around about what Albert's camp REALLY wants in terms of dollar figures. We have no clue if he wants a contract that will "break the bank." That might be what the agent wants, but we don't know.

Meanwhile, it's pretty convenient to call Albert an average schlub when getting rid of him will potentially justify a shitty and stupid decision you made with the 1.1 pick last year.

Albert's a good player. He's a good tackle. He's not average. He's solidly good. He's a veteran presence on the line, and he was by far our best offensive lineman on the team last year.

Yes, the contract is the key, but this team does NOT get better by ditching him. At least not in the short term. If he can be kept, then he absolutely should.

I agree.

But, similarly to our guys who've been paid, he has to play to whatever contract we would potentially give him. If he wants top 5 money, that complicates things a little.

Our big contract guys have to start playing to that contract

Mr. Laz
02-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Unless we plan on trying to squeeze a draft pick out of someone with a tag deal, i just don't see it. Our Oline looked very similar with Stephenson and Fisher at OT and you don't pay a guy 10 million per if you have a viable replacement on the roster.

Although if Fisher's shoulder is permanently fucked it changes things.

RealSNR
02-22-2014, 06:24 PM
The injury thing is totally fair to throw at Albert, too. But you know what I'm getting sick of?

"BLUHAHARGH Albert commits too many penalties!"

That's a really stupid reason to downgrade a lineman's ability. The number of penalties he commits isn't outrageous or unacceptable at all; it just appears that way because our offense was so fucking terrible for the first 10 games of the season. You know who used to get called for holding all the fucking time? Brian Waters. Nobody remembers because the offense usually converted the first down anyway. When things are going great, you don't reach for stupid shit like an average number of penalties as a reason to not re-new somebody's contract.

I'm not saying Albert shouldn't be let go if his contract demands are such that we can't afford him. But people are going to choose to look at him as not a great player or a good player, and for many posters not even an average player. They're going to choose to think of him as a shitty player and point to garbage like "BUGH! HE FALSE STARTED A FEW TIMES! THAT KILLS DRIVES!"

Know what else kills drives? A RT who doesn't know his ass from a cloud of dust that his DE just left behind on his way to sacking your QB.

planetdoc
02-22-2014, 06:46 PM
I think signing Albert and trading him is out of the question. Most new contract come with a signing bonus which would accelerate onto this yr of the chiefs cap in such a situation.

Albert's agent probably already knows what teams are willing to pay him. That is probably why his representatives are at the combine during unofficial "tampering" time. No team is going to trade for him when they can just buy him during FA.

Brock
02-22-2014, 06:50 PM
I think signing Albert and trading him is out of the question. Most new contract come with a signing bonus which would accelerate onto this yr of the chiefs cap in such a situation.

Albert's agent probably already knows what teams are willing to pay him. That is probably why his representatives are at the combine during unofficial "tampering" time. No team is going to trade for him when they can just buy him during FA.

Why would albert agree to this? He can just negotiate directly with whoever he wants.

planetdoc
02-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Why would albert agree to this? He can just negotiate directly with whoever he wants.

thats exactly my point, yet there are posts in this thread suggesting that the chiefs are going to sign and trade him.

Brock
02-22-2014, 06:59 PM
thats exactly my point, yet there are posts in this thread suggesting that the chiefs are going to sign and trade him.

I know. Silly stuff.

RealSNR
02-22-2014, 07:03 PM

Who said that? I will wish AIDS on them.

planetdoc
02-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Who said that? I will wish AIDS on them.

They may be wanting to get him signed , then trade him.

Unless we plan on trying to squeeze a draft pick out of someone with a tag deal, i just don't see it.

Dunerdr
02-22-2014, 07:23 PM
He'd have to sign on the cheap

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Unless we plan on trying to squeeze a draft pick out of someone with a tag deal, i just don't see it. Our Oline looked very similar with Stephenson and Fisher at OT and you don't pay a guy 10 million per if you have a viable replacement on the roster.

Although if Fisher's shoulder is permanently ****ed it changes things.

I think we would be just as good , or close, with Stephenson replacing, but what happens when we have an injury. we need to keep Albert and Stephenson for depth.

Dunerdr
02-22-2014, 07:41 PM

When and why did we get two big left tackles and big left tackle contracts?

Micjones
02-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Dorsey would be a fool not to be in conversation with Albert's agent about his contract expectations, but he isn't coming back to Kansas City (nor should he).

Go out and nab a guy like Mike Mitchell to play FS.
Take a long look at Sidney Rice on a two-year incentive-based contract.

Use the rest to sign your rookies, re-sign McCluster, Abdullah, Schwartz, and Zombo.

IowaChiefs83
02-22-2014, 08:25 PM
He's done. Dorsey can dick around with his agent all he wants until FA finally begins, but once his agent tells him the first lucrative contract that another team has offered Albert Dorsey will say nothing but best wishes. Goodbye.

Anyong Bluth
02-22-2014, 08:45 PM
He's done. Dorsey can dick around with his agent all he wants until FA finally begins, but once his agent tells him the first lucrative contract that another team has offered Albert Dorsey will say nothing but best wishes. Goodbye.

That's okay Chiefs really should keep their limited available money unspoken for to actually assess what hits the wires. Could be some much smarter buys

TEX
02-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Exactly.

It depends on what the Chiefs will do with the $$$ that they spend on Albert as to if they would be better or not.

Mr. Laz
02-22-2014, 10:04 PM

it's strictly a 'what if' about figuring out what they are trying to do

people are just throwing conjecture out there

hometeam
02-22-2014, 10:10 PM
We need him, but I dont see it happening

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Exactly.

Weren't you one of the big leaders of the charge that Left Tackles should never be 1.1's? Especially if they're not elite?

If they shouldn't be 1.1's, then what makes you think they should be worth $10M+? Or that these guys are irreplaceable?

It's pretty hypocritical. I know you don't like Fisher, but if we assume we give the job to Stephenson, the drop off in losing Albert looks like it won't be very big.

Also... of course the team loses a starting talent. But guess what, you can spend that $10M+ elsewhere. So yes, the team probably does better if they start Fisher and Stephenson and use that $10M to sign a free safety.

BigMeatballDave
02-23-2014, 08:23 AM
If signing Albert prevents them from upgrading Safety and WR then I'm against it.

Simply Red
02-23-2014, 08:25 AM
piss off Albert.

you'll get average pay from us; want more? Piss off.

How long have you worked for the Chiefs?

BOOM!!!!

milkman
02-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Weren't you one of the big leaders of the charge that Left Tackles should never be 1.1's? Especially if they're not elite?

If they shouldn't be 1.1's, then what makes you think they should be worth $10M+? Or that these guys are irreplaceable?

It's pretty hypocritical. I know you don't like Fisher, but if we assume we give the job to Stephenson, the drop off in losing Albert looks like it won't be very big.

Also... of course the team loses a starting talent. But guess what, you can spend that $10M+ elsewhere. So yes, the team probably does better if they start Fisher and Stephenson and use that $10M to sign a free safety.

Where do you get the idea that he is saying he wants to pay Albert 10 mil in that post?

-King-
02-23-2014, 08:27 AM

Laz's point is fair. If we know we can get a partner, a tag and trade wouldn't be a bad idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

TambaBerry
02-23-2014, 08:27 AM
This is obviously just a PR move. "We tried to keep Albert but we just couldnt afford him, we wish him all the best"

Just Passin' By
02-23-2014, 08:31 AM

Ted Wells

GloryDayz
02-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Given next year's schedule I suspect BA's just wanting March to get here really quickly...

As for Fish..... Just no. He may get better, but if BA bolts and Fish gets moved to LT, Alex may want to consider some more life insurance. Or shove a tampon up his ass to avoid those unsightly stains.

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Where do you get the idea that he is saying he wants to pay Albert 10 mil in that post?

Who cares what the exact dollar figure is. The point is that SNR believes he should be paid "solidly good" money. For Left Tackles, that's going to be probably 8-11M given the new cap. And it's undoubtedly going to cost a lot more to sign Albert than the contract we gave Fisher.

Given what SNR has posted in the past, it's pretty clear his support for Albert is pushing a much bigger agenda, which is to question the Fisher pick in a new way.

planetdoc
02-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Laz's point is fair. If we know we can get a partner, a tag and trade wouldn't be a bad idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

its unrealistic. Under the franchise tag in 2013 Albert was guaranteed $9.8 million. Ultimately, no team was willing to trade for him. If Albert was franchised again, he would make $11.76 million in 2014. Under the CBA, he cant be franchised a 3rd time. Finally, it has been estimated that the 2014 salary cap will be ~$132 million, and the chiefs have $122 million in commitments (according to overthecap). Taylor Perez's Feb 20th kansas city star article is more specific. They say the chiefs have $125.76 million in commitments with $2.38 million cap carried over from last yr. Thus the chiefs have anywhere form $122-123 million in commitments and only $10 million in room.

The chiefs wouldnt have room as it now stands to even franchise Albert since that would cost $11.76 million. They would have to make room (cuts/restructures) just for that, and still wouldnt have any money for free agents or draft picks!!

All this to say signing and trading Albert is unrealistic. He has full control of the situation.

milkman
02-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Who cares what the exact dollar figure is. The point is that SNR believes he should be paid "solidly good" money. For Left Tackles, that's going to be probably 8-11M given the new cap. And it's undoubtedly going to cost a lot more to sign Albert than the contract we gave Fisher.

Given what SNR has posted in the past, it's pretty clear his support for Albert is pushing a much bigger agenda, which is to question the Fisher pick in a new way.

So, in other words, you're making an assumption, with nothing to back it up but some percieved agenda.

-King-
02-23-2014, 09:35 AM
its unrealistic. Under the franchise tag in 2013 Albert was guaranteed $9.8 million. Ultimately, no team was willing to trade for him. If Albert was franchised again, he would make $11.76 million in 2014. Under the CBA, he cant be franchised a 3rd time. Finally, it has been estimated that the 2014 salary cap will be ~$132 million, and the chiefs have $122 million in commitments (according to overthecap). Taylor Perez's Feb 20th kansas city star article is more specific. They say the chiefs have $125.76 million in commitments with $2.38 million cap carried over from last yr. Thus the chiefs have anywhere form $122-123 million in commitments and only $10 million in room.

The chiefs wouldnt have room as it now stands to even franchise Albert since that would cost $11.76 million. They would have to make room (cuts/restructures) just for that, and still wouldnt have any money for free agents or draft picks!!

All this to say signing and trading Albert is unrealistic. He has full control of the situation.

They don't pay him as soon as he signs the franchise tag...
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
02-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Why would another team agree to a tag and trade when they can just wait and sign him as a fa and keep picks?

-King-
02-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Why would another team agree to a tag and trade when they can just wait and sign him as a fa and keep picks?

Because when he goes to FA, the chances of you signing him decrease given that you have to outbid other teams.
Posted via Mobile Device

planetdoc
02-23-2014, 09:46 AM
They don't pay him as soon as he signs the franchise tag...

true, but that money becomes guaranteed. Once he signs a Franchise tag the chiefs cant rescind that offer.

Because when he goes to FA, the chances of you signing him decrease given that you have to outbid other teams.

This is an exercise in stupidity. No team is going to trade for a LT on a 1yr $11.76 million contract in which it is known they wouldnt be able to franchise tag again. Any team with the space to sign Albert to such a contract would have the space for a longterm contract and a bidding war.

Once again, Albert's representatives were In Indy. They know full well what teams are willing to pay Albert.

O.city
02-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

What picks would they have to give up though? Can that be negotiated? I can't remember.

Plus wouldn't they have to have a contract negotiated already? Would probably be for less than what he's tagged for.

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 09:50 AM
So, in other words, you're making an assumption, with nothing to back it up but some percieved agenda.

SNR is pretty directly saying that he should be paid "solidly good" Left Tackle money. With a new salary cap, that means he deserves $8-11M per year.

SNR has also been one of the most vocal critics of taking a Left Tackle at 1.1.

So he is basically saying our starting Left Tackle is worth sinking $8-11M on, but isn't worth a 1.1. That's pretty clear as day. It's up to you if you think that's driving an agenda.

-King-
02-23-2014, 09:52 AM
true, but that money becomes guaranteed. Once he signs a Franchise tag the chiefs cant rescind that offer.

This is an exercise in stupidity. No team is going to trade for a LT on a 1yr $11.76 million contract in which it is known they wouldnt be able to franchise tag again. Any team with the space to sign Albert to such a contract would have the space for a longterm contract and a bidding war.

Once again, Albert's representatives were In Indy. They know full well what teams are willing to pay Albert.
What? You realize that the team that trades for him can then sign him to a long term deal right?
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
02-23-2014, 09:53 AM
What picks would they have to give up though? Can that be negotiated? I can't remember.

Plus wouldn't they have to have a contract negotiated already? Would probably be for less than what he's tagged for.

Yes it can be negotiated.

And yeah the chiefs would give them permission to talk to Albert about an extension.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
02-23-2014, 09:56 AM

This is an exercise in stupidity. No team is going to trade for a LT on a 1yr $11.76 million contract in which it is known they wouldnt be able to franchise tag again. Any team with the space to sign Albert to such a contract w tould have the space for a longterm contract and a bidding war.

The Chiefs can tag him and rescind the offer at any time prior to signing.

They can test the market for trade value in that time.

If they don't feel that the value is there, they can let him walk.

milkman
02-23-2014, 10:01 AM
SNR is pretty directly saying that he should be paid "solidly good" Left Tackle money. With a new salary cap, that means he deserves $8-11M per year.

SNR has also been one of the most vocal critics of taking a Left Tackle at 1.1.

So he is basically saying our starting Left Tackle is worth sinking $8-11M on, but isn't worth a 1.1. That's pretty clear as day. It's up to you if you think that's driving an agenda.

Is he wrong that Albert is worth a contract for a "solidly good" LT?

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Is he wrong that Albert is worth a contract for a "solidly good" LT?

He is wrong in the statement that "if the team can keep him, they absolutely should." Or that the only reason we wouldn't sign him is to justify the Fisher pick.

I personally don't want to pay Albert that kind of money. That's regardless of whether Fisher plays LT or RT, or anywhere.

milkman
02-23-2014, 10:12 AM
He is wrong in the statement that "if the team can keep him, they absolutely should." Or that the only reason we wouldn't sign him is to justify the Fisher pick.

I personally don't want to pay Albert that kind of money. That's regardless of whether Fisher plays LT or RT, or anywhere.

You didn't answer my question.

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 10:16 AM
You didn't answer my question.

No, he's not wrong on the value. I don't have a problem with Branden Albert. I think he's a solidly good Left Tackle.

planetdoc
02-23-2014, 10:19 AM
The Chiefs can tag him and rescind the offer at any time prior to signing.

I realize that. That is why I said, "Once he signs."

Albert too knows this, that is why he signed his tag quickly last yr and likely would do the same if he is tagged again. Chiefs cant afford that bluff. Other teams know that as well.

Its like playing a game of high stakes poker with poor cards and everyone else knows your hand. You have to know when to hold 'em, fold 'em and walk away.

milkman
02-23-2014, 10:31 AM
No, he's not wrong on the value. I don't have a problem with Branden Albert. I think he's a solidly good Left Tackle.

So, let's review.

SNR is not wrong about Albert's value as a "solidly good" LT, IYO.
A "solidly good" LT is worth about 8 to 11 mil a year, IYO.

But Albert is not worth 8 to 11 mil a year, IYO.

Contradictory much?

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 10:45 AM
So, let's review.

Contradictory much?

No, it's not contradictory. I think 8 to 11 mil a year is too much for a "solidly good" Left Tackle. Just as I thought 1.1 was a reach for a Left Tackle.

At least I'm being consistent. I think they're low positional value in terms of draft stock and compensation. You don't think it's a little strange that the same people who fought against picking a Left Tackle (largely because of positional value) are suddenly acting like Albert is unreplaceable?

milkman
02-23-2014, 10:49 AM

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 10:54 AM

I don't understand what your point is. SNR and I both agree that Albert's value is about $8-11M (or at least I assume he thinks that). He thinks we should pay it, I don't.

milkman
02-23-2014, 11:03 AM
I don't understand what your point is. SNR and I both agree that Albert's value is about $8-11M (or at least I assume he thinks that). He thinks we should pay it, I don't.

My point is pretty clear.

MotherfuckerJones
02-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Albert is worth 8-10 mil IMO. Myself unless it's Willie Roaf I wouldn't because I'd spend that on some playmakers.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-23-2014, 11:08 AM
I really don't care about all the money, that's what Dorsey is here for. I just know we are better off as a team to NOT have to replace him.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Since Smith can be mobile, the value of a LT over a RT may be lessened somewhat. Though he is getting older.

MotherfuckerJones
02-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Since Smith can be mobile, the value of a LT over a RT may be lessened somewhat. Though he is getting older.

Not at all. He was running for his life at times.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-23-2014, 11:39 AM
He was pretty decent at it. But if he has to do it more often(more, less BA) the succes rate could drop.

RealSNR
02-23-2014, 11:42 AM

Orlando Paces should be 1.1s. If the player is good enough and enters the draft in just the right year, you can probably make a case for a lot of unorthodox positions going at 1.1. Eric Fisher is not Orlando Pace, and neither was Luke Joeckel or Lane Johnson. Therefore, the team should have went to a different player.

Didn't we just franchise Albert and pay him the average 1-year salary of the top 5 tackles in the NFL? Wasn't that number under 10 million? I'm pretty sure it was 9.5 or something like that. If we pay Albert like a top 5-10 tackle, his average salary per year figures to be around 8 or 8.5 I would assume. I don't know the numbers or the feasibility of that, I'm just making guesses based on what little I know about salary caps.

You're not willing to pay that in order to solve this offensive line garbage once and for all? So we can finally stop wasting so many 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks on offensive linemen who suck? That's a bargain, to me.

But whatever.

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 11:45 AM
My point is pretty clear.

No, your point isn't clear. Motherfucker Jones' is saying the same exact thing as me. And he's spot on.

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Orlando Paces should be 1.1s. If the player is good enough and enters the draft in just the right year, you can probably make a case for a lot of unorthodox positions going at 1.1. Eric Fisher is not Orlando Pace, and neither was Luke Joeckel or Lane Johnson. Therefore, the team should have went to a different player.
I agree with you. But Orlando Paces are also worth the $8-10M. A "solidly good" left tackle like Albert is not, even if the market will pay him that.

Didn't we just franchise Albert and pay him the average 1-year salary of the top 5 tackles in the NFL? Wasn't that number under 10 million? I'm pretty sure it was 9.5 or something like that. If we pay Albert like a top 5-10 tackle, his average salary per year figures to be around 8 or 8.5 I would assume. I don't know the numbers or the feasibility of that, I'm just making guesses based on what little I know about salary caps.
I think we both agree on market value

You're not willing to pay that in order to solve this offensive line garbage once and for all? So we can finally stop wasting so many 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks on offensive linemen who suck? That's a bargain, to me.
I don't want to draft a 1.1 left tackle because you can use that on a playmaker
I don't want to spend $8-11M on a left tackle because you can use that same money on a playmaker

The real bargain is if Stephenson and/or Fisher comes close to Albert level play. Based on how Stephenson played, no reason to think there will be a huge dropoff. And no, I don't have a problem with continually pumping draft picks into offensive linemen, if it means that a few years from now when Stephenson is up for a new contract, you aren't obligated to pay him $10M.

RealSNR
02-23-2014, 11:52 AM
When did I say Albert was irreplaceable, zilla? He's a valuable part of this team; he's not irreplaceable, but he's certainly not something to be celebrated when he leaves like Matt Cassel or Kendrick Lewis (hopefully). I said fans around here don't give him enough credit for the quality of player that he is. He was by far our best offensive lineman last season, yet whenever a conversation about Fisher/Albert is had on this forum, it usually devolves into, "Branden Albert just isn't that great of a LT because penalties/was a guard in college/injuries/etc." And that becomes an overreaction to biting the bullet and letting him walk to justify letting Fisher take over.

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 11:56 AM
When did I say Albert was irreplaceable, zilla? He's a valuable part of this team; he's not irreplaceable, but he's certainly not something to be celebrated when he leaves like Matt Cassel or Kendrick Lewis (hopefully). I said fans around here don't give him enough credit for the quality of player that he is. He was by far our best offensive lineman last season, yet whenever a conversation about Fisher/Albert is had on this forum, it usually devolves into, "Branden Albert just isn't that great of a LT because penalties/was a guard in college/injuries/etc." And that becomes an overreaction to biting the bullet and letting him walk to justify letting Fisher take over.

Ok, well there we're on the same page. I like Albert.

But I think you're wrong on what people are overreacting to. I think most people are okay with Albert leaving because of Stephenson, not Fisher.

RealSNR
02-23-2014, 12:00 PM
And no, I don't have a problem with continually pumping draft picks into offensive linemen, if it means that a few years from now when Stephenson is up for a new contract, you aren't obligated to pay him $10M.

Last year's line was all 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks that the team drafted. Two 1sts on the bookends, two 2nd at LG and C, and a 3rd at RG. Given the expectations a team needs to have when they invest that much draft stock in offensive linemen, those guys underperformed woefully. Albert's the only guy out there who has shown any kind of consistency from year to year. And now he's gone.

Yes, the line improved as the year went on. Is that now what they're going to play at? Can we actually count on Allen, Hudson, and Fisher to not suck balls? Is Stephenson actually ready? What happens when Hudson's contract is up next year?

And if any of those offensive linemen falter and don't meet those expectations, what are we going to do? Casually look for bargain free agents and low-round draft picks? No. We're going to keep spending valuable draft stock for that fucking shit. That's what Reid does, and it's what the Chiefs do.

I'm getting pretty sick of it.

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Last year's line was all 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks that the team drafted. Two 1sts on the bookends, two 2nd at LG and C, and a 3rd at RG. Given the expectations a team needs to have when they invest that much draft stock in offensive linemen, those guys underperformed woefully. Albert's the only guy out there who has shown any kind of consistency from year to year. And now he's gone.

Yes, the line improved as the year went on. Is that now what they're going to play at? Can we actually count on Allen, Hudson, and Fisher to not suck balls? Is Stephenson actually ready? What happens when Hudson's contract is up next year?

And if any of those offensive linemen falter and don't meet those expectations, what are we going to do? Casually look for bargain free agents and low-round draft picks? No. We're going to keep spending valuable draft stock for that ****ing shit. That's what Reid does, and it's what the Chiefs do.

I'm getting pretty sick of it.

Something to worry about given Reid's history. I don't like using first rounders on offensive linemen. But I also hate overpaying linemen unless they are really, really good.

The way the Chiefs got Stephenson, Kush, and Watkins... that's the way to go. Keep doing a lot of that.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Was the line successful with out Albert because his replacements were good enough. Or because the defense wasn't prepared for a mobile Alex. That had not shown up in KC prior.

I wonder if you(defense in this case) can over rely on film work and not adjust.

Anyong Bluth
02-23-2014, 12:21 PM
So, let's review.

Contradictory much?

Is this gonna be on the midterm or final? I hate proofs, and if so, do we have to show all our work?

milkman
02-23-2014, 12:33 PM
No, your point isn't clear. Mother****er Jones' is saying the same exact thing as me. And he's spot on.

And he's doing the same as you.

You can not say on the one hand that he's worth 10 mil and say, onv theother hand that you don't want to pay it.

If you don't want to pay what you say he's worth, then he's not actually worth whatvyou say he is.

RealSNR
02-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Is this gonna be on the midterm or final? I hate proofs, and if so, do we have to show all our work?

I took a course in philosophical logic in college. The final exam was one question: "Prove that the earth is flat."

I can't remember the process I used or the symbols I used to interpret statements in the proof, but I got an A.

MotherfuckerJones
02-23-2014, 01:01 PM

You can not say on the one hand that he's worth 10 mil and say, onv theother hand that you don't want to pay it.

If you don't want to pay what you say he's worth, then he's not actually worth whatvyou say he is.

When I say I don't want to pay it, I mean I'd rather spend that on playmakers. That's MY point. Not that I wouldn't necessarily pay it.

Anyong Bluth
02-23-2014, 01:06 PM
I took a course in philosophical logic in college. The final exam was one question: "Prove that the earth is flat."

I can't remember the process I used or the symbols I used to interpret statements in the proof, but I got an A.

I would have drawn a crude treasure map, and labeled the edges of the earth or by shading designation. Mentioned this was a true to life, 3D map to portray actual topography.

Signed it By God, and turned it in. 5 minutes. Easy Peasy.

RealSNR
02-23-2014, 01:23 PM
I would have drawn a crude treasure map, and labeled the edges of the earth or by shading designation. Mentioned this was a true to life, 3D map to portray actual topography.

Signed it By God, and turned it in. 5 minutes. Easy Peasy.

We had to use written arguments coded in logical symbols. For the most part we only learned how to use syllogistic logic in one semester, so the exam was graded on validity, not necessarily being a valuable or a good argument. So for example, you could say "All German Shepherds are dogs. All dogs bark. Therefore, all German Shepherds bark." The proof would be:

G -> D (which means "If G, then D")
D -> B
G
______
G -> B

That's a hugely simplistic example, and there are far more rules and logical syllogistic functions you can use, but yeah. That's basically what you're doing. Reasoning out why the world is flat in words, then showing validity by converting all the statements to symbols and then hashing it out in a proof.

FringeNC
02-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Maybe Reid and Dorsey think Albert is just absolutely vital. I don't know. But if you look around the league at teams that are consistently in the playoffs, they don't sign many of their free agents. Signing Albert will eat a lot of cap space and lose us a 3rd round draft pick. Seems to me re-signing Albert means they have no faith in Fisher have the ability to start at either side in this league.

Brock
02-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Maybe Reid and Dorsey think Albert is just absolutely vital. I don't know. But if you look around the league at teams that are consistently in the playoffs, they don't sign many of their free agents. Signing Albert will eat a lot of cap space and lose us a 3rd round draft pick. Seems to me re-signing Albert means they have no faith in Fisher have the ability to start at either side in this league.

He's probably ok on the right. Maybe they just want to leave him there.

Mojo Jojo
02-23-2014, 01:38 PM
We had to use written arguments coded in logical symbols. For the most part we only learned how to use syllogistic logic in one semester, so the exam was graded on validity, not necessarily being a valuable or a good argument. So for example, you could say "All German Shepherds are dogs. All dogs bark. Therefore, all German Shepherds bark." The proof would be:

D -> B
G
______
G -> B

That's a hugely simplistic example, and there are far more rules and logical syllogistic functions you can use, but yeah. That's basically what you're doing. Reasoning out why the world is flat in words, then showing validity by converting all the statements to symbols and then hashing it out in a proof.
Formal logic was one of my favorite classes in college

Fish
02-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Formal logic was one of my favorite classes in college

:thumb:

Anyong Bluth
02-23-2014, 01:54 PM

D -> B
G
______
G -> B

Ya, I know I was just being too cool for school.

RealSNR
02-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Ya, I know I was just being too cool for school.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/faBpmm1rlCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
02-23-2014, 02:03 PM

http://i.imgur.com/G7AuYqd.gif

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 02:10 PM

You're just being contrarian. You asked me if I thought Albert was worth "solidly good" left tackle money. I said yes. But do I want the Chiefs to pay solidly good left tackle money? No.

Just because I think the right price for a beat up Dodge Pinto is $500, doesn't mean I want to pay $500 for it. Why do you think it's a contradiction to agree that Albert is worth $8-11M but not want any part of actually paying that?

BlackHelicopters
02-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Let Albert walk.

Simply Red
02-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Avery + Albert are our leaders - you let them walk - this franchise folds.

Baby Lee
02-23-2014, 02:52 PM

False dichotomy.

One can acknowledge that Rolexes are worth $xK and still forgo one to buy new car.

SAUTO
02-23-2014, 02:53 PM
You're just being contrarian. You asked me if I thought Albert was worth "solidly good" left tackle money. I said yes. But do I want the Chiefs to pay solidly good left tackle money? No.

Just because I think the right price for a beat up Dodge Pinto is $500, doesn't mean I want to pay $500 for it. Why do you think it's a contradiction to agree that Albert is worth $8-11M but not want any part of actually paying that?

ford made the pinto

TEX
02-23-2014, 03:01 PM
When I say I don't want to pay it, I mean I'd rather spend that on playmakers. That's MY point. Not that I wouldn't necessarily pay it.

I get that. I feel the same way. Especially when you consider that Albert has missed games the past 2 seasons and when he's out, there is not a drastic drop off in production by his replacement - especially this past season. I appreciate his time in KC but the economics of the situation dictate that he'll be elsewhere next season.

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2014, 03:36 PM
ford made the pinto

All the more reason not to buy a Dodge Pinto

BigMeatballDave
02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Dodge Pinto LMAO

RealSNR
02-23-2014, 04:09 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9YD_1ObUrhE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BlackHelicopters
02-23-2014, 04:10 PM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Anyong Bluth
02-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Avery + Albert are our leaders - you let them walk - this franchise folds.

At least it'd be some new variety to how things end...

Easy 6
02-23-2014, 07:51 PM
They're just trying to drive up his value by making him seem somewhat indispensable... he's gone, he's going to cost too much... they cant improve the team enough to compete for the SB when a LT is taking up 8-10% of the cap.

All he did here until the last 2 years was shut his mouth and play football as best he could, I will NEVER forget that, honestly, dudes been an excellent TEAM player, then lately he's been more vocal as he grew into his role... he will be a GREAT addition somewhere.

But we simply cant afford to pay him what other, more desperate teams will... good luck Branden, you're time here is appreciated.

BossChief
02-23-2014, 11:39 PM
Not a chance.

Branden Albert is GONE.

The only way I could see him staying is if he would agree to 7-8 million per year on a 3-4 year deal and I'd bet he can get more elsewhere.

T-post Tom
02-24-2014, 12:03 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/2h69duc.jpg

Darien25
02-24-2014, 03:41 AM
Not a chance.

Branden Albert is GONE.

The only way I could see him staying is if he would agree to 7-8 million per year on a 3-4 year deal and I'd bet he can get more elsewhere.

Maybe the A-11 Football League will step in and give Albert the contract of his dreams, similar to what the USFL did upon their startup. After all, who wouldn't want to be a Stagg or a General.

kcbubb
02-26-2014, 01:26 AM
Last year, we tagged Albert and tried to trade him. He had injury concerns and etc. We were offered a third if I remember correctly.

Why wouldn't we use the same strategy? Albert had a solid year and has less concerns than last year. The price tag is higher at $11.5 MM, but his value should be higher as well bc he has another solid year of experience.

Also remember that Albert has not cashed in on a big signing bonus. He WANTS a long term deal and doesn't want to play on another one year deal. He may be more willing to make a long term deal with another team this year if we can work out a trade.

We should franchise Albert and trade him for a third round pick.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2014, 02:08 AM
Last year, we tagged Albert and tried to trade him. He hthad injury concerns and etc. We were offered a third if I remember correctly.

Why wouldn't we use the same strategy? Albert had a solid year and has less concerns than last year. The price tag is higher at $11.5 MM, but his value should be higher as well bc he has another solid year of experience.

Also remember that Albert has not cashed in on a big signing bonus. He WANTS a long term deal and doesn't want to play on another one year deal. He may be more willing to make a long term deal with another team this year if we can work out a trade.

We should franchise Albert and trade him for a third round pick.

Obviously, Miami didn't want to give up a 3rd. Letting him walk makes sense for the Chiefs, financially. Keep reading...

kcbubb
02-26-2014, 02:30 AM
Fins offered a third. We either wanted a 2nd or Albert wouldn't agree to the contract that fins offered.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/01/chiefs-dolphins-trade-talks-branden-albert-break-off/

ChiefGator
02-26-2014, 02:32 AM
All he did here until the last 2 years was shut his mouth and play football as best he could, I will NEVER forget that, honestly, dudes been an excellent TEAM player, then lately he's been more vocal as he grew into his role... he will be a GREAT addition somewhere.

But we simply cant afford to pay him what other, more desperate teams will... good luck Branden, you're time here is appreciated.

This...

kcbubb
02-26-2014, 02:37 AM
We don't have to pay him if we trade him.

kcbubb
02-26-2014, 02:39 AM
And we don't owe anything to Albert. He was paid top 5 LT money. If we can get another draft pick out of Albert, we trade him.

J Diddy
02-26-2014, 02:40 AM

The second we tag him it counts under our cap at 12 million. You'd have to be a really dumb GM to think we'd max our cap and then try to trade and not be bluffing.

He's gone. He did good and I wish him well.

ForeverChiefs58
02-26-2014, 08:53 AM
So those were terms of OT Jason Peters' extension. Full deal, per Vincent Taylor, is for 5 years, $51.3 million, $19.55 million guaranteed.

Brock
02-26-2014, 09:03 AM

Aaand if the trade doesn't work?

Chiefshrink
02-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Quite frankly I think Albert is overrated for the $$ he will want. Yes he is decent but he ain't great. Let him go and let's keep building for the future.

Rausch
02-26-2014, 09:25 AM

Odds are if we let him walk we'll get about as much in a comp pick as we would by trading him.

We have no leverage in a trade...

TEX
02-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Quite frankly I think Albert is overrated for the $$ he will want. Yes he is decent but he ain't great. Let him go and let's keep building for the future.

Exactly. KC can do better things with the $$$ it would take to keep him. I appreciate what he's done for the Chiefs, but the economics of the situation are what they are. I wish him well, but its time to move on without him.

Rausch
02-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Exactly. KC can do better things with the $$$ it would take to keep him. I appreciate what he's done for the Chiefs, but the economics of the situation are what they are. I wish him well, but its time to move on without him.

Stephenson seemed to take a huge leap from last year and was very serviceable at T. I think he'd be ok at LT.

I'd prefer to use that Albert $$$ on FS...

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Odds are if we let him walk we'll get about as much in a comp pick as we would by trading him.

We have no leverage in a trade...

Neither did the Pats with Castle:doh!:

Rausch
02-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Neither did the Pats with Castle:doh!:

They had plenty. They knew they could fuck our GM and they knew we had no QB...

ct
02-26-2014, 11:10 AM
haven't read back thru this whole thread again, so not sure if this has been mentioned.

another possibility is Dorsey is gauging the contract level for BA, and if it's reasonable/feasible, they sign him and try to trade Stephenson instead. not at all saying I want to do this, cause I don't, just sayin it's not impractical if they can get him for less than the huge $$ some might expect he's looking for.

more likely I expect they are posturing for any number of reasons, such as...

don't want Stephenson to suddenly hold out thinking he deserves starter salary

maybe something miraculous materializes in the franchise tag and trade arena

sending a msg to either fisher, or Stephenson, or both, that they are not automatically awarded a starting job just yet, keep them motivated

just typical FA season misinformation, maybe even just for shits n giggles

RippedmyFlesh
02-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Jason Peters agrees to $51.3M deal

Jason Peters, who has returned to Pro Bowl form after two devastating Achilles injuries, agreed to a five-year, $51.3 million contract with the Eagles on Wednesday.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10519888/jason-peters-philadelphia-eagles-agree-513-million-contract

What do you guys think Albert will ask for based on this?

Mr. Laz
03-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Albert is done here

-=========================
Kansas City Chiefs ‏@KCChiefs 2m
The #Chiefs did not designate anyone as a Franchise or Transition player today.
Expand

Bob Dole
03-03-2014, 04:39 PM
John Tait's ankles have probably healed up after STFD and STFU since 2008...

TEX
03-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Stephenson seemed to take a huge leap from last year and was very serviceable at T. I think he'd be ok at LT.

I'd prefer to use that Albert $$$ on FS...

Exactly! There wasn't that much of a "drop" in production at LT when Albert was out.

Bwana
03-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Albert is done here

-=========================
Kansas City Chiefs ‏@KCChiefs 2m
The #Chiefs did not designate anyone as a Franchise or Transition player today.
Expand

Yes he is.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Stephenson will do fine but now we'll have zero depth. If one of our tackles goes down what then ?