PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Officials upset at Zack Greinke

T-post Tom
02-23-2014, 09:30 PM
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Organizers of Major League Baseball's season-opening series in Australia are upset about comments from Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Zack Greinke, who said that he was not excited for the trip, according to reports in Australian newspapers.

The Sydney Morning Herald said Australian officials have reached out to the Dodgers and Major League Baseball for an explanation. The newspaper said the officials are "holding off on making comment until they've spoken to relevant parties in America."

The opening series at the Sydney Cricket Ground was planned between Australian officials, MLB, the players association, the Dodgers and the Arizona Diamondbacks. The teams open their seasons more than a week before the other MLB teams.

Greinke, the Dodgers' No. 2 starter, presumably would pitch one of the games.

"I would say there is absolutely zero excitement for it. There just isn't any excitement to it," Greinke told ESPNLosAngeles.com. "I can't think of one reason to be excited for it." LMAO

The Dodgers responded to the uproar from Australia by explaining that the team, as a whole, is looking forward to the excursion.

"Zack has this endearing, contrarian quality to him that we all know and love about him," Dodgers president Stan Kasten said. "He's famously focused and meticulous about his training regimen. It's what makes him so good and such a great teammate. This is clearly going to alter his routine. I understand that aspect of it.

"But my problem right now is trying to make room for all the people that want to go -- players, family, front-office people. As an organization, we couldn't be more excited about this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Kasten organized a tour of the former Soviet Union by the Atlanta Hawks and has also been part of international trips with baseball teams and said players typically return from such trips and view them favorably.

The Dodgers have not announced their starting pitchers for those two games. They are trying to control ace Clayton Kershaw's workload and have considered holding the Cy Young Award winner out of the games in Australia so they could use him in the United States opener on March 30, as well as in their home opener on April 4.

Kershaw could pitch all three games on at least four days' rest, but Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said the team doesn't want him to throw that many innings so early.

Kershaw, 25, pitched a career-high 259 innings last season, including the playoffs.

The Australian games are to be played on March 22 and 23. Because the Dodgers break camp on March 16, they'll play roughly 10 to 15 fewer Cactus League games than in a typical spring. For the starting pitchers, that means two or three fewer starts to get ready, followed by extra rest after their season-opening starter.

Greinke has said he's willing to pitch in Australia and understands why those games were scheduled.

"It's a baseball thing. It's an ownership thing, spreading stuff around," Greinke said. "That's what it's for and it's for the greater good of baseball."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/10507222/comments-made-zack-greinke-los-angeles-dodgers-upset-australia-officials

FloridaMan88
02-23-2014, 09:38 PM
I would imagine that most of the players on both teams playing in Australia would say the same thing if they were being honest.

Australia is a 14 hour flight from LA.

Both Arizona and LA are going to have to fly round-trip 22+ hours within a week's time-frame.

No thanks.

Deberg_1990
02-23-2014, 09:40 PM
So they would prefer him to just lie then?

NewChief
02-23-2014, 11:03 PM
I've been to Australia. It's awesome. I also stayed 2 months when I went. If you're going to make the trip you need to be able to stay and actually see some shit. Otherwise it's just a long freaking plane ride. Don't blame Greinke. Truth be told, I imagine many football players feel the same about the London games.

Simply Red
02-23-2014, 11:10 PM

yes Gosh Damned it.

J Diddy
02-23-2014, 11:15 PM
I would be upset with the travel time period. Who enjoys spending hours on a plane?

|Zach|
02-24-2014, 03:48 AM

Yes, are you new to being an adult associated with an organization?

Three7s
02-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Yes, are you new to being an adult associated with an organization?
And that's the problem with sports media.

|Zach|
02-24-2014, 07:08 AM

Not really.

Deberg_1990
02-24-2014, 07:17 AM

I agree. The problem is he's paid very well by a billion dollar team and league.

Personally I think it's refreshing when an athlete is brutally honest.
Posted via Mobile Device

GloryDayz
02-24-2014, 08:15 AM
I think he's speaking the truth about how he feels, but I also think he's a dick! It's a trip to Australia for God's sake, that's awesome!

I guess the little whiney fuck still hasn't broken off his Mom's tit!

NewChief
02-24-2014, 08:33 AM
I think he's speaking the truth about how he feels, but I also think he's a dick! It's a trip to Australia for God's sake, that's awesome!

I guess the little whiney **** still hasn't broken off his Mom's tit!

A trip to Australia that's going to involve a brutally long flight, followed by jet lag, practice, practice, practice, junket, play, junket, play, junket, fly home. I doubt they'll be doing a lot of quality sight seeing and "fun" stuff.

Would I bitch about it if I were in his situation? Probably not. Can I understand why he's bitching about it? Hell yes. I absolutely hate traveling and having other people's agendas and schedules forced on my while I travel. It's like going to an amusement park and not getting to ride the rides, or being told exactly which rides you're allowed to ride.

-King-
02-24-2014, 09:33 AM

Its not like he's going there as a tourist.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dayze
02-24-2014, 09:35 AM
I hope he's not so bummed out that he missed out on some authentic Australian cuisine at Outback Steakhouse

blaise
02-24-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm sure few of them are happy about it but it's part of the job that they're compensated for.

stonedstooge
02-24-2014, 10:20 AM
He gets paid $7,462.69 dollars per pitch. I think I'd be keeping my mouth shut

-King-
02-24-2014, 10:22 AM
He gets paid $7,462.69 dollars per pitch. I think I'd be keeping my mouth shut

So just because you get paid a lot means you shouldn't be honest when someone asks you a question? That'd just dumb.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
02-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Did he explain the exact reason that he wasn't excited? Maybe something was going on back at home that he would rather be there for.

King_Chief_Fan
02-24-2014, 10:30 AM
I would say there is ZERO excitement in how Zack Greinke thinks or feels about anything

Dayze
02-24-2014, 10:31 AM
I heard in Australia he'll be pitching left-handed.

scho63
02-24-2014, 10:34 AM
I would imagine that most of the players on both teams playing in Australia would say the same thing if they were being honest.

Australia is a 14 hour flight from LA.

Both Arizona and LA are going to have to fly round-trip 22+ hours within a week's time-frame.

No thanks.

While it is one hell of a LONG flight, flying with your teammates First Class on a jumbo jet is pretty sweet accommodations these days and many of these flights have BEDS that lie 100% horizontal with pillows and partitions to sleep.

I've flown from Newark NJ to Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Beijing more than 18 times R/T and it was very easy even in Business Class. Can't imagine moving up to First.

I would NEVER fly this far in coach!!!

kysirsoze
02-24-2014, 10:40 AM
So just because you get paid a lot means you shouldn't be honest when someone asks you a question? That'd just dumb.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't really care about this one way or the other, but Greinke does go on to admit that it is for baseball's greater good. If it is for the good of the organization that pays me so much goddamn money, wouldn't it be smart for me to support it?

GloryDayz
02-24-2014, 10:46 AM
A trip to Australia that's going to involve a brutally long flight, followed by jet lag, practice, practice, practice, junket, play, junket, play, junket, fly home. I doubt they'll be doing a lot of quality sight seeing and "fun" stuff.

Would I bitch about it if I were in his situation? Probably not. Can I understand why he's bitching about it? Hell yes. I absolutely hate traveling and having other people's agendas and schedules forced on my while I travel. It's like going to an amusement park and not getting to ride the rides, or being told exactly which rides you're allowed to ride.

Well he's living really well. And knowing MLB, I'm sure they'll get a bit better treatment while they're there than many of us would. So his point isn't lost, but when you make the kind of coin thee fuckers make, perhaps cutting the bosses some slack while they experiment with the brand might be in order. Lord knows I've been sent on far more useless trips (jet lag or not), and I didn't get a nice seat. So again, I get his point, and there is some truth behind it, but maybe his millions of dollars can help him get over it.

And what's funny, is some kid making the league minimum didn't say anything. And some players might take their family too. Perhaps making some lemon-aid from lemons??? In Zach's case, maybe he can bring his Mommy! The little anti-social fuck!

I wonder if the Olympics has to put up with this shit every two years? And don't give me the whole "it's two weeks" thing... This is their opening series, they could travel right after their Spring training league ends to halp with the jet lag.

If that doesn't work for a guy who only works every five days anyway, I'm back to telling him to STFU and deal with it. :deevee: Or go play in Japan - I'm sure they don't have to deal with such horrible working conditions.

It doesn't surprise me that HE'S the one who cried about it. I hope he gets a beat-down on an Australian mound this time! He can fly home with something else broken...

kysirsoze
02-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Well he's living really well. And knowing MLB, I'm sure they'll get a bit better treatment while they're there than many of us would. So his point isn't lost, but when you make the kind of coin thee ****ers make, perhaps cutting the bosses some slack while they experiment with the brand might be in order. Lord knows I've been sent on far more useless trips (jet lag or not), and I didn't get a nice seat. So again, I get his point, and there is some truth behind it, but maybe his millions of dollars can help him get over it.

And what's funny, is some kid making the league minimum didn't say anything. And some players might take their family too. Perhaps making some lemon-aid from lemons??? In Zach's case, maybe he can bring his Mommy! The little anti-social ****!

I wonder if the Olympics has to put up with this shit every two years? And don't give me the whole "it's two weeks" thing... This is their opening series, they could travel right after their Spring training league ends to halp with the jet lag.

If that doesn't work for a guy who only works every five days anyway, I'm back to telling him to STFU and deal with it. :deevee: Or go play in Japan - I'm sure they don't have to deal with such horrible working conditions.

It doesn't surprise me that HE'S the one who cried about it. I hope he gets a beat-down on an Australian mound this time! He can fly home with something else broken...

This attitude is why athlete interviews are boring wastes of time.

GloryDayz
02-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Oh, and I wonder if the troops who fly half way around the globe and get dropped-in cry like this "honest" bitch! Just kinda funny to see where his level of "keep his mouth shut" is! For a skinny fuck, he's got a lot of honesty - no wonder he's still on his mom's tit!

He's such a fag!

GloryDayz
02-24-2014, 10:50 AM
This attitude is why athlete interviews are boring wastes of time.

Oh, I don't mind him being interviewed, or honest, but I also think it's fine to call him out for what he says... But if having this particular clown keep his fucking mouth shut can be done, I'm all for it.

GloryDayz
02-24-2014, 10:51 AM
And not that he can't hit it, but I hope his strike zone for his game in Austrailia just got smaller!

Or.... I hope they leave him home... I'm sure there's somebody who might not mind the flight.

scho63
02-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Not too bad if he flies Quantas

http://www.qantas.com.au/img/760x411/first-4.jpg

BlackHelicopters
02-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Honesty. How refreshing.

FloridaMan88
02-24-2014, 12:38 PM
While it is one hell of a LONG flight, flying with your teammates First Class on a jumbo jet is pretty sweet accommodations these days and many of these flights have BEDS that lie 100% horizontal with pillows and partitions to sleep.

I've flown from Newark NJ to Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Beijing more than 18 times R/T and it was very easy even in Business Class. Can't imagine moving up to First.

I would NEVER fly this far in coach!!!

I did a semester abroad in Australia in college... I flew direct from London to Sydney with a brief stop for refueling in Bangkok... total time on the airplane was 22 hours... all from middle seat in coach.

Coming back I flew Sydney to LA, LA to Miami... two different flights but both were middle seat in coach.

Pure hell.

FloridaMan88
02-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Not too bad if he flies Quantas

Or Singapore Airlines... you can get your own suite.

T-post Tom
02-24-2014, 12:47 PM
I heard in Australia he'll be pitching left-handed.

And his curve ball spins in the opposite direction. Groovy baby. :D

scho63
02-24-2014, 03:54 PM
I did a semester abroad in Australia in college... I flew direct from London to Sydney with a brief stop for refueling in Bangkok... total time on the airplane was 22 hours... all from middle seat in coach.

Coming back I flew Sydney to LA, LA to Miami... two different flights but both were middle seat in coach.

Pure hell.

:eek:

You are one sadistic bastard! I could never do that, probably have a panic attack.

About 12 years ago I flew to Amsterdam for a trade show and on the way back they screwed up my business class seat and I got stuck in coach for 10 hours. I HAD to be back to Silicon Valley or else I would have waited until the following day.

Instead I had to fly. I was one miserable son-of-a-bitch and got a free domestic R/T plus everything else was comped plus a credit for the extra money spent on business class.

I flew coach on Quantas to Australia in 1987 from LA but I was younger, smaller, and skinnier then. Also Pan Am to Rio De Janiero and Air New Zealand to Fiji and to Bora Bora Tahiti/in coach during my youth.

NEVER a middle seat...

Seats are bigger on international flights and were much bigger back then.

Mama Hip Rockets
02-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Zack Greinke rules.

GloryDayz
02-24-2014, 06:50 PM

Pure hell.

I rode a submarine over there, it was a pretty fucking nice ride (all things considered), but took more than 22 hours... So the whole jet-lag thing didn't bother me, and once there, it was AWESOME. For me it was so awesome I thought it was a vacation! Without a doubt some of the best diving I've ever done (work and free time diving), and the Aussie divers are kick-ass. Hell, their whole fucking Navy is awesome, they skip a LOT of bullshit... All I can say is when Aussie Navy divers (even their surface navy divers!!) take you out drinking, life is good... And perhaps the most awesome thing from that event, since we knew we were going, I took my surfboard. Go from surfing East Cost waves to surfing in Australia and you go from small-time to the big-time in one experience. it wasn't Australia's biggest surf by far, but it was fucking awesome....

We worked with the Aussies for nearly two months, and it was AWESOME. God they're awesome people!

Zach is a MORON!

-King-
02-24-2014, 07:17 PM
I rode a submarine over there, it was a pretty fucking nice ride (all things considered), but took more than 22 hours... So the whole jet-lag thing didn't bother me, and once there, it was AWESOME. For me it was so awesome I thought it was a vacation! Without a doubt some of the best diving I've ever done (work and free time diving), and the Aussie divers are kick-ass. Hell, their whole fucking Navy is awesome, they skip a LOT of bullshit... All I can say is when Aussie Navy divers (even their surface navy divers!!) take you out drinking, life is good... And perhaps the most awesome thing from that event, since we knew we were going, I took my surfboard. Go from surfing East Cost waves to surfing in Australia and you go from small-time to the big-time in one experience. it wasn't Australia's biggest surf by far, but it was fucking awesome....

We worked with the Aussies for nearly two months, and it was AWESOME. God they're awesome people!

Zach is a MORON!

How much drinking and surfing do you think Zach will do there?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lex Luthor
02-24-2014, 07:25 PM
:eek:

You are one sadistic bastard! I could never do that, probably have a panic attack.

Actually that would make him one masochistic bastard.

SAUTO
02-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

probably none.

but he could if he wanted

GloryDayz
02-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I doubt he'll do any drinking, he seems to not be the type. As for surfing, I'm sure if he wanted to he could, but only if his mom takes him of course.

scho63
02-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Actually that would make him one masochistic bastard.

As Ed McMahon used to say....:D

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d3/d3884573777c80bff020544f01f6dc15e9a6840e196ae07f754decc979a8a635.jpg