PDA

View Full Version : Science Hypothetical: You win a trip into space, or ...

Rain Man
02-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Here's the scenario:

Your local dairy decides to sponsor a "Cow Jumped Over The Moon" contest, where first prize is a one-week trip to space. The winner will go to central Russia, board some massive Russian rocket along with a Bulgarian cosmonaut and an American mission control person, and will enjoy a one-week stay aboard the International Space Station. (I'm not sure how space travelers get back down these days, but that's a detail we can figure out later.)

You are one of 12 people who win a sweepstakes to go into the finals. You show up and compete against the other 11 in a decathlon of dairy-related contests. You do well in the cheese trivia and cow leaping contests, but struggle during the yogurt swim and bull riding.

You're in second place entering the final event, which butter eating. The first-place contestant, a charming young Bowdoin College coed, downs four sticks of butter, but with iron resolve you lay the hammer down and eat 5.5 sticks to take the win. She goes home with second prize, which is a year's supply of chocolate milk.

So you've won. The ISS trip is yours. But not everyone is excited about entering space. The Russians aren't into safety all that much, and it's a rough trip up, and space sickness happens, and if a 25-cent bolt fails you die gasping in absolute zero before your body falls into the sun.

So you have an option:

1. You can take the one-week trip to the ISS. All prize taxes and intermediate travel costs will be paid by the dairy.
2. You can take a one-time cash prize of $150,000, with all prize taxes paid by the dairy.

Which do you take?

Bwana
02-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Show me the money.

alnorth
02-25-2014, 03:28 PM
That one's a no-brainer. 150 grand isn't even that much money. If you multiplied that by a factor of 100 I'd have to think about it, but for just $150,000 send me up.

The Franchise
02-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Easily the cash.

blaise
02-25-2014, 03:29 PM
The money. Floating around in a space station doesn't interest me that much. Not unless it has warp speed and you can use it like Captain Kirk to cruise for chicks.

The Franchise
02-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Wait....

Him? http://www.spacefacts.de/bios/portraits/international/alexandr.jpg

or Her? http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WCybg125bCs/UrABD9vKN3I/AAAAAAABCiY/bEHv8Tqp6d0/s400/yelena-serova-russia.jpg

Katipan
02-25-2014, 03:30 PM
I'd pick the money until my kids were of age, then send me to space.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Statistically, astronauts are more likely to die than cosmonauts.

C3HIEF3S
02-25-2014, 03:31 PM
$150k no doubt.

Amnorix
02-25-2014, 03:32 PM
I'll take the cash and the Bowdoin College coed.

Rain Man
02-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Statistically, astronauts are more likely to die than cosmonauts.

Okay. But their spacesuits aren't as cool looking.

Why Not?
02-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Cash. I saw "Gravity" so same thing as being there

Rain Man
02-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Cash. I saw "Gravity" so same thing as being there

You must have seen it in 3D.

BlackHelicopters
02-25-2014, 03:40 PM
$$$$$$$$$

kepp
02-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Money

seclark
02-25-2014, 03:48 PM
I wanna trade for the chocolate milk.
sec

Third Eye
02-25-2014, 03:50 PM
ISS, without a second thought. $150k is nice, but it's not really that much. Somebody said increase it by a factor of 100 and they'd take the money. Well, I wouldn't need that much to change my mind, maybe a factor of 10.

hometeam
02-25-2014, 03:50 PM
I love space. I would love to goto space.

But compare that to paying off my house and providing a better life for my family?

The value in time/usefulness on a space trip is not good.

Katipan
02-25-2014, 03:52 PM
I love space. I would love to goto space.

But compare that to paying off my house and providing a better life for my family?

The value in time/usefulness on a space trip is not good.

No way the contest/trip couldn't be turned into a book that made way more than 150K.

Canofbier
02-25-2014, 03:55 PM
ISS, without a second thought. $150k is nice, but it's not really that much. Somebody said increase it by a factor of 100 and they'd take the money. Well, I wouldn't need that much to change my mind, maybe a factor of 10.

Almost exactly what I was going to say. $150k isn't enough to change my life very much. Being one of a very select group of individuals who can have the experience of living/being in Space: nearly priceless.

If they're offering $1.5 million, I'd consider the cash.
If they're offering $10 or $15 million, I'd take the cash for sure.

hometeam
02-25-2014, 03:57 PM
No way the contest/trip couldn't be turned into a book that made way more than 150K.

Not by me it couldnt

tooge
02-25-2014, 03:59 PM
I'll take the cash unless I get to pick the other 11 people, which changes the game completely. In fact, that would be a good follow up question.

alnorth
02-25-2014, 04:03 PM
man, look at all those beaten-down domesticated people. $150,000 isn't much money. Paying off your mortgage? That is your dream?

Bizarre difference in philosophy, I guess. To me, the meaning of life is the accumulation of fantastic experiences which often but not always comes from vacations. These experiences don't end when you are done or get back home, they live on in your memory.

I don't get up every day and go to work to pay off my house, I do it so that I can hopefully save enough money someday to stop working, and then its party time.

The only reason why I'd probably take the money if it was $15MM is because even though the intangible value of the ISS voyage would be incredibly high, I can probably make up for it with that fat wad of cash because I could quit immediately and do stuff for an additional few decades more than planned.

Buehler445
02-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Meh. Pretty sure it costs more than 150 large to get someone to space, so on a purely NPV basis space makes decent sense. But I'm a cheap fuck. I'm a CHEAP fuck.

Is it taxable? If so, what's the value of the space trip? If I have to pay tax on space trip no go. Not even close.

So what are the tax implications?

Rain Man
02-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Meh. Pretty sure it costs more than 150 large to get someone to space, so on a purely NPV basis space makes decent sense. But I'm a cheap ****. I'm a CHEAP ****.

Is it taxable? If so, what's the value of the space trip? If I have to pay tax on space trip no go. Not even close.

This is addressed in the opening thread, because paying prize taxes on a $10 million space trip would eat you alive. The dairy will cover all taxes for both prizes. There's a lot of money in Big Dairy, so they won't even blink.

cosmo20002
02-25-2014, 04:12 PM
So you have an option:

1. You can take the one-week trip to the ISS. All prize taxes and intermediate travel costs will be paid by the dairy.
2. You can take a one-time cash prize of $150,000, with all prize taxes paid by the dairy.

Which do you take?

I'd love to go into space, but I wouldn't pay $150K to do it at this point.

What would the Tang situation be?

AndChiefs
Meh. Pretty sure it costs more than 150 large to get someone to space, so on a purely NPV basis space makes decent sense. But I'm a cheap ****. I'm a CHEAP ****.

You may want to re-read.

saphojunkie
It's an honor just to be nominated.

Katipan
02-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Not by me it couldnt

It could be a book about nothing and it would sell. Document your bowel movements and it would be made into a coffee table book.

KC Dan
02-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Even though it would cost a ton more, I'd go in debt to the tune of $250k to go into space. Easily

RippedmyFlesh
02-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Meh. Pretty sure it costs more than 150 large to get someone to space, so on a purely NPV basis space makes decent sense. But I'm a cheap fuck. I'm a CHEAP fuck.

Don't know if you were being sarcastic. From OP.

I would take the cash. If I was 25 I would do something stupid like take the trip.

cosmo20002
02-25-2014, 04:16 PM

People have been in space before, so not sure how much of a story it would be. Now, do something crazy up there, I'm sure you can think of something, and then maybe you'll have a story to sell.

The Franchise
02-25-2014, 04:16 PM
man, look at all those beaten-down domesticated people. $150,000 isn't much money. Paying off your mortgage? That is your dream?

Bizarre difference in philosophy, I guess. To me, the meaning of life is the accumulation of fantastic experiences which often but not always comes from vacations. These experiences don't end when you are done or get back home, they live on in your memory.

I don't get up every day and go to work to pay off my house, I do it so that I can hopefully save enough money someday to stop working, and then its party time.

The only reason why I'd probably take the money if it was $15MM is because even though the intangible value of the ISS voyage would be incredibly high, I can probably make up for it with that fat wad of cash because I could quit immediately and do stuff for an additional few decades more than planned.

Who said that they were going to turn around and pay off their mortgage? You could in turn take that $150k and go to a bunch of different places that you've always wanted to see.

saphojunkie
02-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Yeah... I've seen how this story ends.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/saphojunkie/GRAVITY_zps3acd1385.png

blaise
02-25-2014, 04:20 PM

I don't think it's a beaten down thing, for me. It just doesn't appeal to me that much. I'd rather use the $150,000 to travel around on Earth. I'd rather go to Italy, Japan, Paris, and London than be able to look down on Earth for a few days.

BigMeatballDave
02-25-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm taking the cash and buying my own tractor and telling Trans Am to fuck off. :)

HonestChieffan
02-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Id take the cash and donate it to my church.

BigMeatballDave
02-25-2014, 04:28 PM

The only reason why I'd probably take the money if it was $15MM is because even though the intangible value of the ISS voyage would be incredibly high, I can probably make up for it with that fat wad of cash because I could quit immediately and do stuff for an additional few decades more than planned.That kind of cash would be huge career move for me.

BigMeatballDave
02-25-2014, 04:29 PM

LMAO

saphojunkie
02-25-2014, 04:32 PM

Change your screen name right now.

hometeam
02-25-2014, 04:32 PM

never said my 'dream' is to pay off my mortgage. But, on a practical level, sure going to space is fuckin awesome. But, would I trade one week of that for a lifetime of financial stability? meh. Ill buy a trip in 2050 when its 200 bucks.

kysirsoze
02-25-2014, 04:33 PM

All of this. $150,000 is not even close to a substitute for have spent time in space. Some of you guys need to talk to your inner child or something. The only drawback to the space trip would be what an insufferable blowhard I would be for the rest of my life because I'VE BEEN TO FUCKING SPACE.

hometeam
02-25-2014, 04:34 PM
Who said that they were going to turn around and pay off their mortgage? You could in turn take that $150k and go to a bunch of different places that you've always wanted to see.

I did.

And that's exactly what I would do.

No mortgage means another 600 bucks a month plus ownership of (hopefully) an appreciating asset.

For me, It would only take about half of the prize money to do that. Plenty left.

BIG_DADDY
02-25-2014, 04:35 PM
1 week in space without a doubt. I didn't even have to think about it. That is a crazy ass experience for pennies on the dollar.

Rain Man
02-25-2014, 04:35 PM

I picked $150,000 as an amount primarily because that's a level where I would be on the fence. I'll admit that flying into space would scare the living pancreas out of me, so there's a value in avoiding petrifying fear and $150,000 might be enough for an excuse.

The other reason is that $150,000 can buy you a lot of good experiences down on terra firma. Would I go into space for a week, or would I do an epic trip around the world for a year?

The epic earth trip is really tempting, but in the end I envisioned myself sitting in the South Pacific in front of some overwater hut, and I would look up and see the Milky Way and think, "Man, I could've been up there." No matter where I went or how I spend the money, I would always look up on a clear night and say, "I could've been up there." In the end, I would do the space trip for that reason. It's hard to turn down a once-in-a-lifetime adventure that less than 500 human beings have done in the history of mankind.

Plus, what's more impressive at a party? "I spent a year traveling the world", or "Yeah, I was in freakin' outer space".

kysirsoze
02-25-2014, 04:36 PM
never said my 'dream' is to pay off my mortgage. But, on a practical level, sure going to space is ****in awesome. But, would I trade one week of that for a lifetime of financial stability? meh. Ill buy a trip in 2050 when its 200 bucks.

LMAO I know you're kinda kidding here, but seriously if there was anything close to a high priority being put on the advancement of space exploration/colonization, I might consider the fact that I might be able to go on my own sometime later in life. I just don't think the average consumer will be able to take a trip to space in the 50-70 years I (very optimistically) have left. Plus... less bragging time.

ThaVirus
02-25-2014, 04:37 PM
To me, the meaning of life is the accumulation of fantastic experiences which often but not always comes from vacations. These experiences don't end when you are done or get back home, they live on in your memory.

I agree to an extent. We're not exactly on the same page but for similar reasoning I'd rather take the money and spend it traveling the world.

Being in space for a week would be cool for about 3 hours then it would be boring as shit.. More of a novelty thing than an actual great life experience.

BIG_DADDY
02-25-2014, 04:39 PM
The only drawback to the space trip would be what an insufferable blowhard I would be for the rest of my life. :hmmm: Something would have changed? ;)

kysirsoze
02-25-2014, 04:40 PM
:hmmm: Something would have changed? ;)

I'd be justified.

Katipan
02-25-2014, 04:43 PM
People have been in space before, so not sure how much of a story it would be. Now, do something crazy up there, I'm sure you can think of something, and then maybe you'll have a story to sell.

None of them did it by winning a contest and beating out the chocolate milk girl. Has after school special written all over it.

Super appreciate the vote of confidence tho. :P

Rain Man
I'd love to go into space, but I wouldn't pay $150K to do it at this point.

What would the Tang situation be?

You may assume that Tang would be readily available, but since you're traveling up on a Russian rocket it would be beet flavored instead of orange.

Mojo Jojo
Space trip...$150k isn't that much. $1.5 million 50/50 call...$15 million I take the cash.
(yes I know others have said the same, but it is the best answer)

The Franchise
02-25-2014, 04:44 PM
I did.

And that's exactly what I would do.

No mortgage means another 600 bucks a month plus ownership of (hopefully) an appreciating asset.

For me, It would only take about half of the prize money to do that. Plenty left.

$150k wouldn't cover my mortgage......so I'd pay off some other bills and then make some trips.

Rain Man
02-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Space trip...$150k isn't that much. $1.5 million 50/50 call...$15 million I take the cash.
(yes I know others have said the same, but it is the best answer)

For $1.5 million I'd remain bound by the chains of gravity. My tipping point is notably lower, but slightly above $150,000.

KC Dan
02-25-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't think it's a beaten down thing, for me. It just doesn't appeal to me that much. I'd rather use the $150,000 to travel around on Earth. I'd rather go to Italy, Japan, Paris, and London than be able to look down on Earth for a few days.Been there, done that. Fun, Nice, eye opening - sure. But SPACE!!!!! F-Yeah!

KC Dan
02-25-2014, 04:58 PM
All of this. $150,000 is not even close to a substitute for have spent time in space. Some of you guys need to talk to your inner child or something. The only drawback to the space trip would be what an insufferable blowhard I would be for the rest of my life because I'VE BEEN TO ****ING SPACE.Okay Wolowitz

LoneWolf
02-25-2014, 05:02 PM
I'd take the money and its not even a close decision for me. A week in space would seem like an eternity. The view isn't going to change that much after the first day and its not like your going out on a space walk where you can get the full panoramic view anyway. I would rather use the money to visit numerous places here on Earth.

02-25-2014, 05:05 PM
I'm torn on this one and guess it would have to be based on where I am in life. If I won it today I would probably take the money. After my kids are all out of the house then I would most likely take the trip.

BUT

Keep in mind folks, that the guberment is going to take their cut of that 150k. so plan on only getting about 80k of that or less. In my case, that would easily pay off the remainder of my mortgage which is the one monthly expense I would love to get out from under.

wazu
02-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Space. $150K doesn't even come close to making it interesting for me. If I try to name my price for missing out on space, I'm thinking at $800K it starts to become a discussion. North of a $1M and my practical side starts to win the argument. (And my impractical side tries to lie to my practical side that I can get the money back via some kind of book deal or expanded career option.)

hometeam
02-25-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm torn on this one and guess it would have to be based on where I am in life. If I won it today I would probably take the money. After my kids are all out of the house then I would most likely take the trip.

BUT

Keep in mind folks, that the guberment is going to take their cut of that 150k. so plan on only getting about 80k of that or less. In my case, that would easily pay off the remainder of my mortgage which is the one monthly expense I would love to get out from under.

in this scenario its taxes paid

Dayze
02-25-2014, 05:12 PM
tax free?

though, I've always wanted to do a beer bong in space for whatever reason.

Buehler445
02-25-2014, 06:09 PM
This is addressed in the opening thread, because paying prize taxes on a $10 million space trip would eat you alive. The dairy will cover all taxes for both prizes. There's a lot of money in Big Dairy, so they won't even blink.

Don't know if you were being sarcastic. From OP.

I would take the cash. If I was 25 I would do something stupid like take the trip.

Yeah. I had my head up my ass. I swear to god I read that post twice. I must have gotten hung up on the coed thing.

My fault kids.

From a practical perspective though it would take some doing for the dairy to cover the taxes. The tax reimbursement would then be taxable. :)

I'm taking the cash and buying my own tractor and telling Trans Am to fuck off. :)

Good luck getting a decent tractor bought for 150 large. Much less any equipment you need to pull.

TLO
02-25-2014, 06:11 PM
I'd take the cash right now. 30-40 years down the line I might have a different answer.

mlyonsd
02-25-2014, 06:14 PM
No brainer. Take the trip because Sandra Bullock is there.

digger
02-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Space.

Rasputin
02-25-2014, 07:03 PM
First I thought about the money that could help me out and be dept free and be able to live on it for several years where I live now. Then I thought maybe if I did the space thing I could write a book or be famous enough. If I'm that good at winning a cheesy contest maybe I could go on to do great things with my life after space trip. Nah give me the money.

Dave Lane
02-25-2014, 07:15 PM
1 week in space without a doubt. I didn't even have to think about it. That is a crazy ass experience for pennies on the dollar.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. But I would hope everyone would know my choice :D

LoneWolf
02-25-2014, 07:27 PM
But I would hope everyone would know my choice :D

Take the space trip so you can feel closer to God? o:-)

Start Croyle
02-25-2014, 09:07 PM
$150,000 is a lot more than I have. If I did have $150,000 in the bank, I certainly wouldn't spend it all on a trip to outer space.

So from that perspective, I would have to take the money.

Buzz
02-25-2014, 09:16 PM
If the Bulgarian cosmonaut and an American mission control person are hot nymphs, I'm in either way and I hate heights.

Dave Lane
02-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Take the space trip so you can feel closer to God? o:-)

Exactly :)

J Diddy
02-25-2014, 09:49 PM
I take the trip and auction it off on ebay. I make a cool million and buy a small island full of lactose intolerant people.