PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Interesting Chiefs HOF Article:

Gonzo
02-28-2014, 01:29 PM
IMHO Stats alone shouldn't be the factor used to pick who goes in KC's HOF. See below what Adam has to say about LJ:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=kansas-city-chiefs&id=4400

In addition to announcing their Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year awards on Saturday, the Chiefs will unveil this year's entrant to the team's Hall of Fame. The most obvious candidate is Priest Holmes, who is the Chiefs' all-time leader in touchdowns and rushing yardage. I thought the Chiefs would put Holmes in last year but they went with safety Gary Barbaro instead. If it's Holmes' time, it's obviously a great choice.

But there are other deserving candidates. The Chiefs like to wait five years after a player is retired before they put him in the Hall of Fame, so Tony Gonzalez has some time to wait. Larry Johnson needs three more years before he can get in but his time has to eventually come. He's only a few rushing yards behind Holmes, so he deserves it. If Curtis McClinton and Christian Okoye are in, Johnson should eventually be, too.

I think those great Chiefs offensive lines from the Dick Vermeil days need more representation in the team's Hall of Fame. Will Shields is already in and Brian Waters is a lock, eventually. Until then, what about Willie Roaf? He played only four seasons with the Chiefs but was so good during that time that he at least deserves consideration.

Then there's Trent Green, who had four great seasons as the Chiefs quarterback. Green has the highest passer rating for any Chiefs quarterback who's thrown at least 1,000 passes. He would be just the second Chiefs quarterback in their Hall of Fame and deserves to join Len Dawson there some day, perhaps even this year.

BlackHelicopters
02-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Jeff Blackshear

sedated
02-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Am I alone in NOT wanting LJ in?

greatgooglymoogly
02-28-2014, 01:39 PM
I don't think a system QB deserves to be in. I enjoyed watching Green play, but he wasn't HOF good, even a HOF for a historically crappy franchise like the Chiefs.

Gonzo
02-28-2014, 01:39 PM

Nope. That's what I'm kinda wondering. I know his stats were decent but he was such a prick....
You'd think they would take that into consideration before making the selection but according to this, it doesn't matter.

Rausch
02-28-2014, 01:42 PM
I don't think a system QB deserves to be in. I enjoyed watching Green play, but he wasn't HOF good, even a HOF for a historically crappy franchise like the Chiefs.

His numbers put him in the conversation with or better than any Chiefs QB...

greatgooglymoogly
02-28-2014, 01:44 PM
His numbers put him in the conversation with or better than any Chiefs QB...

Yeah, but what does that mean, exactly? His two Pro Bowl seasons put him over 1993 Joe Montana? Cassel? Blackledge? Grbac?

Rausch
02-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Yeah, but what does that mean, exactly? His two Pro Bowl seasons put him over 1993 Joe Montana? Cassel? Blackledge? Grbac?

All of them.

You can't fault him for the defense. His production was insane.

I think only 3 QB's started 4 years or more for the Chiefs. After that who was more productive?...

BlackHelicopters
02-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Mark Castle deserves consideration once 5 years is up.

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Fuck Larry Johnson

greatgooglymoogly
02-28-2014, 01:50 PM
All of them.

You can't fault him for the defense. His production was insane.

I think only 3 QB's started 4 years or more for the Chiefs. After that who was more productive?...

I'm not debating his stats, they were good. I'm disputing the standards of the Chiefs HOF. I don't see how Green and Dawson can be reasonably compared.

Gonzo
02-28-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm not debating his stats, they were good. I'm disputing the standards of the Chiefs HOF. I don't see how Green and Dawson can be reasonably compared.

A lot of it has to be sentimental...
Everyone ended up loving Green. I wouldn't mind seeing him in, either.

greatgooglymoogly
02-28-2014, 01:54 PM
A lot of it has to be sentimental...
Everyone ended up loving Green. I wouldn't mind seeing him in, either.

I'm probably being too much of a douche here. I generally favor more selective HOFs. A Hall consisting of Dawson, DT, Lanier, Culp and Shields wouldn't be too fun.

ping2000
02-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Obviously no morals clause if Larry Johnson is being considered. Nice running back, but a giant dick off the field.

cosmo20002
02-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Once you starting letting in good to very good players, it's hard to justify keeping some of these guys out. At first I thought "no way" to LJ, but then compare his stats to Okoye and LJ's are better. But Okoye was popular and LJ was a dick.

greatgooglymoogly
02-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Once you starting letting in good to very good players, it's hard to justify keeping some of these guys out. At first I thought "no way" to LJ, but then compare his stats to Okoye and LJ's are better. But Okoye was popular and LJ was a dick.

This is exactly why I didn't bring up LJ. A specific precedent had already been set.

Rausch
02-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Dawson's numbers aren't that impressive. He won us a SB. He should be there.

But Green also didn't have a sick number of HOF players on defense either. Green's play those last two years was tops in the league...

Rausch
02-28-2014, 02:08 PM

Okoye left the game due to injury. LJ left the game because he sucked...

greatgooglymoogly
02-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Dawson's numbers aren't that impressive. He won us a SB. He should be there.

But Green also didn't have a sick number of HOF players on defense either. Green's play those last two years was tops in the league...

I evaluated Green as Green and compared him only to who would be his HOF peers (or in this case, peer). Dawson's list of accomplishments is very long and spread over a long chronological period, and every one of them was earned as a Chief. I won't blame Green for Gunther Cunningham's failures.

Jimmya
02-28-2014, 02:12 PM
It's really tough especially in todays society where everyone gets a medal or ribbon.

Chief_For_Life58
02-28-2014, 02:24 PM
lol at our history

Psyko Tek
02-28-2014, 10:45 PM

so there is no reason to honor a dickhead,
it's all relative
and LJ deserves shit
and for fucks sake get who is the safety that got in before preist?
can we bring him in for a look?

Phobia
03-01-2014, 12:00 AM
so there is no reason to honor a dickhead,
it's all relative
and LJ deserves shit
and for ****s sake get who is the safety that got in before preist?
can we bring him in for a look?
Barbaro was a ball-hawking FS in the 70's. He was one of the few bright spots on a lot of sucky Chiefs teams. Started every single game for 8 years until a career ending injury in the early 80's.

RippedmyFlesh
03-01-2014, 12:42 AM
Barbaro was a ball-hawking FS in the 70's. He was one of the few bright spots on a lot of sucky Chiefs teams. Started every single game for 8 years until a career ending injury in the early 80's.

Ironic that the 1 position we needed help the most.
A great safety with no team around him to a team that just needed a safety.
We have come full circle so we should win the sb this year.

Mojo Jojo
03-01-2014, 12:46 AM
It's time for Kevin Ross. The other three from that unit are already in and he should be too.

RippedmyFlesh
03-01-2014, 01:39 AM

Almost every comment after the article agreed with you. Didn't see 1 comment to dispute what you said.

Rasputin
03-01-2014, 02:15 AM
CHOF loses all integrity if they put Larryspits&beatsonwomenJohnson in it.

The guy was an embarrassment to the team and NFL. They say protect the NFL shield then that is a shame as well.

ForeverChiefs58
03-01-2014, 07:32 AM
A friend and I were discussing this the other day and he mentioned some of the guys that are deserving to be in the HOF because of numbers, but had trouble off the field. OJ. Then there are guys like Michael irvin, LT. Or guys like marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, TO who nobody even wanted to mess with their bs at the end of their carreer. They are in a much different class than guys like Lanier or Roaf etc

Simply Red
03-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Larry Johnson was a better teammate than Tony G. Trust me.

Deberg_1990
03-01-2014, 07:57 AM
LJ was a team leader. He gave lots of post game interviews.

Simply Red
03-01-2014, 08:00 AM
http://i.imgur.com/GxwS9Af.jpg

TEX
03-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Larry Johnson shouldn't be in any kind of Hall of Fame.

ThatRaceCardGuy
03-01-2014, 11:30 AM
**** Larry Johnson

I agree. Larry Johnson is a punk bitch. He still should get in due to his play and numbers.

Phobia
03-01-2014, 02:29 PM
I agree. Larry Johnson is a punk bitch. He still should get in due to his play and numbers.

Maybe if he died tragically at Arrowhead somehow.

gblowfish
03-01-2014, 05:27 PM
I believe they picked Priest Holmes....

http://prod.preview.chiefs.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-2/Priest-Holmes-to-be-Inducted-into-Chiefs-Hall-of-Fame-/a2da4653-dd29-4521-9138-df66093091f0

suzzer99
03-01-2014, 05:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GxwS9Af.jpg

Hard to stay angry when you're getting this treatment. Non-angry LJ sucked donkeys.

Phobia
03-01-2014, 06:32 PM

http://prod.preview.chiefs.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-2/Priest-Holmes-to-be-Inducted-into-Chiefs-Hall-of-Fame-/a2da4653-dd29-4521-9138-df66093091f0

I can't believe they kept it a secret this year. They usually announce it in January.

Rain Man
03-02-2014, 09:21 AM

he was once one of my favorite players ever, but he did not leave to to injury. He abandoned us, and signed with the USFL. he said he was going out for cigarettes, and he never came back. it shattered my fan relationship with him.

Rain Man
03-02-2014, 09:27 AM
I think there is a 0% chance of Larry Johnson ever making the ring of Fame. They will use that homophobic suspension as an excuse, but I think he just won't be well liked enough.

of course, gary barbaro did the most traitorous thing ever and he got in. It just took 20 years longer than it should have. So perhaps Larry Johnson could get in around the year 2030

Bowser
03-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Am I alone in NOT wanting LJ in?No you're not.

I don't think a system QB deserves to be in. I enjoyed watching Green play, but he wasn't HOF good, even a HOF for a historically crappy franchise like the Chiefs.You can say the same about Priest if that's the litmus. Without that line and blocking scheme, Priest wouldn't have amounted to anything.

Green deserves it. Probably won't get there for some time, but he deserves it.

Demonpenz
03-02-2014, 01:54 PM
LJ was too good not to get in.

Rasputin
03-02-2014, 02:17 PM
The best part of LJ was when he finally got benched we got Jamaal Charles in Charge.

Fuck LJ.

Rausch
03-02-2014, 02:19 PM
LJ was too good not to get in.

For 2 years...

Rausch
03-02-2014, 02:20 PM

:thumb:

Rasputin
03-02-2014, 02:21 PM
With LJ at running back against the Colts in the playoffs we couldn't even get a first down in the first half. He would just run up Casey Wiegmanns ass and not gain a yard.