PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL considering pushing back extra point attempt

sfuria
03-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Sorry if already posted, didn't see it anywhere.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330411/article/nfl-might-experiment-with-making-extrapoint-attempts-longer?campaign=Facebook_writers_battista

The NFL Competition Committee has discussed experimenting this preseason with a longer -- much longer -- extra-point try. According to one member, the committee's meetings this weekend included preliminary talks about placing the ball at the 25-yard line for the extra-point kick -- which would make it a 42-yard attempt -- rather than the 2-yard line, where it is currently placed.

Last season, kickers missed just five of 1,267 extra-point attempts, a conversion rate of 99.6 percent -- so good that Commissioner Roger Goodell recently suggested the demise of the extra point could be imminent, because it is almost automatic, and thus not exciting enough. A longer extra-point try certainly would make things more interesting and require significantly more strategizing. The conversion rate of field goals between 40 and 49 yards last season was 83 percent. The last time the extra-point conversation rate regularly fell below 90 percent was in the 1930s and early 1940s. That surely would give coaches something to ponder when weighing whether to kick for one point or try for two, with the success rate for two-point conversion attempts typically around 50 percent

I would LOVE this! Would make the game even more exciting in the last minutes when down by 7. And would add much more value to kickers. I expect that there would also be a lot more 2 point attempts. I really hope they do this.

TEX
03-04-2014, 07:18 AM
I wish they would just leave shit alone.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2014, 07:23 AM
I'd be okay with this. You'd see more 2-point conversion attempts.

sfuria
03-04-2014, 07:24 AM

While I agree with that for the most part, the extra point as it stands is a useless play that is 99% guaranteed to succeed. Why even have it then? Why not just add the point automatically or just get rid of it?

Pasta Little Brioni
03-04-2014, 07:27 AM
Dumb as fuck. Leave the damn game alone!!!

BlackHelicopters
03-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Quit
Fooling with a successful product

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 07:35 AM
While I agree with that for the most part, the extra point as it stands is a useless play that is 99% guaranteed to succeed. Why even have it then? Why not just add the point automatically or just get rid of it?

This is kind of how I feel about it. Introduce some risk into the PAT.

jkw87
03-04-2014, 07:37 AM
It would ultimately make that extra point more valuable than just automatically guaranteed

Canofbier
03-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Great idea, IMO. If it goes through, it will make goal line strategy more complex (and therefore more interesting). It will also increase the value of a good kicker.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2014, 07:39 AM

Yep.

GloryDayz
03-04-2014, 08:04 AM
I think they need to make the ball round while they're at it.

Jimmya
03-04-2014, 08:10 AM
I vote to leave the game as it is.

chiefzilla1501
03-04-2014, 08:13 AM
I don't have a problem with this. I'm glad they're hopefully moving away from the moronic idea of taking away the XP alltogether

chiefzilla1501
03-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Also, widen the hash marks. That's an easy solution that doesn't screw with the integrity of the game. Only adds intrigue.

GloryDayz
03-04-2014, 08:20 AM
I vote to leave the game as it is.

Vote-fail.... It's been a long time since they listened to fans...

hometeam
03-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Are you fucking kidding me? Let the shit go. Let the game be played. FUCK rule changes.

In other words. FUCK!

chiefzilla1501
03-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Are you ****ing kidding me? Let the shit go. Let the game be played. **** rule changes.

In other words. ****!

Rule changes are good if they improve something that's broken or don't significantly change the integrity of the game. The Overtime rule change was badly needed and they avoided the college OT system, which would have completely changed the integrity of the game. This is one of those changes that could have a positive impact of the game, but will be really unnoticeable to any fan.

Direckshun
03-04-2014, 08:31 AM
42-yards seems excessive.

30 yards, however, would be fine by my tastes.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2014, 08:31 AM
LMAO at the outrage over a 1 point kick from the 10 yard line.

DaFace
03-04-2014, 08:32 AM
I would like to hear a better argument for leaving it alone other than "OMG TEH NFL SUX WHY DO THEY HATE ME????"

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2014, 08:34 AM
42-yards seems excessive.

30 yards, however, would be fine by my tastes.

It's currently a 20 yard kick. Moving it out 10 yards is nothing.

Just get rid of it.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Wow. They finally came up with a good proposal. Whoulda thunk it?

ping2000
03-04-2014, 08:36 AM
This team has enough history with late season kicker fuck ups. Don't add more drama.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Wasn't the NFL thinking about making the TD worth 7, then if you elect to go for the conversion you can get to 8.

A failed attempt puts you back to 6.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2014, 08:43 AM
I'd be okay with making it a 42 yard attempt if it's worth 2 points.

Eleazar
03-04-2014, 08:46 AM
So does the 2-point conversion stay the same distance as current? Seems weird to have the two start from different places of the field. You'd have to declare which one you were attempting beforehand.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2014, 08:50 AM
So does the 2-point conversion stay the same distance as current? Seems weird to have the two start from different places of the field. You'd have to declare which one you were attempting beforehand.

I'd say if you see the placeholder setting up shop at the 32, it's a safe bet that they are kicking.

:)

Pasta Little Brioni
03-04-2014, 09:20 AM
If Goodell was NBA commis he would add a damn 4 point line. I think he is also the moron that came up with the 99 cent coin ; )

Pasta Little Brioni
03-04-2014, 09:21 AM
I would like to hear a better argument for leaving it alone other than "OMG TEH NFL SUX WHY DO THEY HATE ME????"

I like the game flow and strategies of the current system. No use messing with it.

Bob Dole
03-04-2014, 09:28 AM

Even if that is true?

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2014, 09:41 AM
I like the game flow and strategies of the current system. No use messing with it.

Are you really going to miss seeing a twenty yard kick?

Hell, 20 yard field goals are boring.

Halfcan
03-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Yep I agree. :hmmm:

Just like pushing the kick off up made the game "safer" -how boring.

chiefzilla1501
03-04-2014, 09:56 AM

You have to do that anyway. You're not allowed to fake an XP. At least... I don't think so...?

chiefzilla1501
03-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Wasn't the NFL thinking about making the TD worth 7, then if you elect to go for the conversion you can get to 8.

A failed attempt puts you back to 6.

Yeah, I sure hope not. This is an example of a rule change that improves the fan experience, but worsens the game. At least moving the XP back lessens the odds of a kicker completing an XP without disrupting the flow of the game we're used to.

Jimmya
03-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Yea.... I'm for not changing the flow of the game.

|Zach|
03-04-2014, 10:18 AM
It is just a place holder between commercials.

Bob Dole
03-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Are you really going to miss seeing a twenty yard kick?

Hell, 20 yard field goals are boring.

You realize our curse distances are 35, 39 and 42.

Coincidence?

WhiteWhale
03-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Just get rid of the XP entirely. I loved that idea. 7 points for a TD. Replace the 2 point conversion with an optional 8th point under the same rules as the 2 pointer.

Glorified soccer players should NOT lead the NFL in scoring. A football player should.

KC_Connection
03-04-2014, 10:21 AM
All this would do is make having a good kicker more valuable in football (which would make it bad for the Chiefs at the present time). Most NFL coaches wouldn't have the balls to go for 2 more often.

WhiteWhale
03-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I sure hope not. This is an example of a rule change that improves the fan experience, but worsens the game. At least moving the XP back lessens the odds of a kicker completing an XP without disrupting the flow of the game we're used to.

How does it 'worsen' the game? I mean that's an opinion I totally disagree with. I can think of several ways it improves the game.

alnorth
03-04-2014, 10:23 AM

They aren't messing with the flow and strategy of the current system, its just the PAT. The PAT is clearly broken.

WhiteWhale
03-04-2014, 10:23 AM
All this would do is make having a good kicker more valuable in football (which would make it bad for the Chiefs at the present time). Most NFL coaches wouldn't have the balls to go for 2 more often.

I think some coaches would go for 2 most of the time.

Like coaches who can do math.

alnorth
03-04-2014, 10:27 AM
This idea looks very good to me, its far superior to that earlier idea they had which I was already on board with.

A 42-yard PAT would greatly improve the game.

WhiteWhale
03-04-2014, 10:28 AM
They aren't messing with the flow and strategy of the current system, its just the PAT. The PAT is clearly broken.

You know something is broken when you can eliminate it and it would change absolutely NOTHING other than turning the league's leading scorer into a RB or WR.

THAT would be TERRIBLE. I loved the old idea.

Personally I hate the new idea though. Game outcomes rely too much on glorified soccer players already.

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 10:28 AM
You realize our curse distances are 35, 39 and 42.

Coincidence?

The NFL is rigged.

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 10:29 AM
This idea looks very good to me, its far superior to that earlier idea they had which I was already on board with.

A 42-yard PAT would greatly improve the game.

This.

I wasn't opposed to eliminating the PAT but this idea is that much better...

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 10:29 AM
You know something is broken when you can eliminate it and it would change absolutely NOTHING other than turning the league's leading scorer into a RB or WR.

THAT would be TERRIBLE.

Kickers will still lead the league in scoring.

WhiteWhale
03-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Kickers will still lead the league in scoring.

I was talking about the proposal I liked. I edited it to make sense.

I want game outcomes to rely MORE on football players and LESS on soccer players. That's my feelings on why I dislike this rule change idea.

Mr. Laz
03-04-2014, 10:31 AM
I don't know that it's the final solution but moving it back would be a good start.

a pp roach
03-04-2014, 10:32 AM
or they could push it back farther in yardage and in time.. like no extra point kicks until the very end of the game and extra point attempts are tallied throughout the game so that a team down by 3 could win with no time left on the clock provided they scored 4 touchdowns in the game.

a pp roach
03-04-2014, 10:33 AM
or they could push it back farther in yardage and in time.. like no extra point kicks until the very end of the game and extra point attempts are tallied throughout the game so that a team down by 3 could win with no time left on the clock provided they scored 4 touchdowns in the game.

i just read that and i can confirm that is the dumbest idea ever.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-04-2014, 10:42 AM
i just read that and i can confirm that is the dumbest idea ever.

Close

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 10:45 AM
I was talking about the proposal I liked. I edited it to make sense.

I want game outcomes to rely MORE on football players and LESS on soccer players. That's my feelings on why I dislike this rule change idea.

The only way to get what you want is to eliminate the 3-point FG, not the PAT...

WhiteWhale
03-04-2014, 10:58 AM
The only way to get what you want is to eliminate the 3-point FG, not the PAT...

Do you often make a habit of stating factually incorrect things as if you are right? Did you even bother to look at the stats to discover if you were right, or do you just assume you always are?

By all means let's look at the leading scorer list from 2013 to see if there is veracity to your claims.

Stephen Gostkowski scored 158 points and led the NFL in scoring. If you eliminate only his XP's (44) he scores 114 points.

Now Jamaal Charles scored 19 TD's total to lead the NFL. If those TD's were worth 7 points he would have scored 133 points.

In conclusion 133 > 114

If you're referring to games decided by kickers, then your making no point. I can accept the influence but a 42 yard XP only INCREASES their impact while eliminating the stupid thing changes NOTHING but putting football players at the top of the scoring leaders. Kickers have enough influence over outcomes... why give them MORE?

Rain Man
03-04-2014, 11:00 AM

Perhaps they could push them all to the end of the season. Instead of the pro bowl, all the kickers show up in Hawaii the day after Week 17 and kick all of the extra points for the season. It would get huge TV ratings since it would affect W/L records and playoff seedings.

Rain Man
03-04-2014, 11:06 AM
After a touchdown, you have the following options:

1. Kick from the 25 with all 22 players on the field - 1 point.
2. Go for 2 from the two yard line.
3. Kicker, snapper, and holder get a free kick from their own 48 - 3 points.
4. Go for it from the 2, but the kicker plays QB and the punter is the only guy allowed in the backfield - 4 points.
5. Kick returner stands on his goal line. Every player on the defending team must be a lineman. If he scores, 5 points.
6. Double down on an ensuing onside kick. If the kicking team recovers, they can try a field goal worth 6 points.
7. Go for it from the 2 yard line, but the defense gets to put 5 cheerleaders and 5 random fans on the field in addition to the defense - 7 points.

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Do you often make a habit of stating factually incorrect things as if you are right?

Of course. Everybody here does.

Did you even bother to look at the stats to discover if you were right, or do you just assume you always are?

No. Waste of time.

By all means let's look at the leading scorer list from 2013 to see if there is veracity to your claims.

Stephen Gostkowski scored 158 points and led the NFL in scoring. If you eliminate only his XP's (44) he scores 114 points.

Now Jamaal Charles scored 19 TD's total to lead the NFL. If those TD's were worth 7 points he would have scored 133 points.

In conclusion 133 > 114

114 points would land one in the top 3-5 most years. You'd still have kickers leading the league in scoring in some years.

:deevee:

Reerun_KC
03-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Punts, FGs and XP attempts are for quitters.

WhiteWhale
03-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Of course. Everybody here does.

No. Waste of time.

114 points would land one in the top 3-5 most years. You'd still have kickers leading the league in scoring in some years.

:deevee:

Quit crying. It's okay that you say factually wrong things all the time without giving a shit if you're just blowing your ignorant face hole. You said something that was factually wrong.

Leading the league in scoring 'some' years (which I don't think would happen hardly ever since I can do elementary level math) is different than nearly every season. Again, the XP sucks and eliminating it entirely does nothing bad at all to the game. It just puts football players at the top of the scoring board. That's it's 'drawback'.

The drawback to a 42 yard XP is more game outcomes will rely on the quality of your soccer player.

I like one idea and dislike the other. I don't care if you agree, but you don't have to keep lying to validate your opinion.

cosmo20002
03-04-2014, 11:16 AM
I say they get rid of that dang forward pass

https://sp3.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608001385878194139&pid=15.1

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Quit crying. It's okay that you say factually wrong things all the time without giving a shit if you're just blowing your ignorant face hole. You said something that was factually wrong.

Leading the league in scoring 'some' years (which I don't think would happen hardly ever since I can do elementary level math) is different than nearly every season. Again, the XP sucks and eliminating it entirely does nothing bad at all to the game. It just puts football players at the top of the scoring board. That's it's 'drawback'.

The drawback to a 42 yard XP is more game outcomes will rely on the quality of your soccer player.

I like one idea and dislike the other. I don't care if you agree, but you don't have to keep lying to validate your opinion.

ROFL

WhiteWhale
03-04-2014, 11:19 AM
ROFL
:clap:

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 11:20 AM
:clap:

1) I make hundreds of assertions here in the course of a couple of days. I don't bother to look up every single one.

2) I could seriously give a fuck less what you think.

Enjoy.

WhiteWhale
03-04-2014, 11:21 AM
1) I make hundreds of assertions here in the course of a couple of days. I don't bother to look up every single one.

2) I could seriously give a **** less what you think.

Enjoy.

:LOL:

Bob Dole
03-04-2014, 11:41 AM
FORTY FUCKING TWO YARDS, PEOPLE!

HOW CAN YOU BE SO BLIND??

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-04-2014, 11:48 AM
The only thing I don't like about the proposal is that it makes FGs more valuable, and FGs are the refuge of chickenshit motherfuckers.

The Franchise
03-04-2014, 11:53 AM
You're going to see a bunch of teams going for 2 every time because they don't trust their kickers.

The good thing about this is it would make the other team actively participate in the play. Right now they just stand up and no one gives a fuck.

alnorth
03-04-2014, 11:55 AM
The only thing I don't like about the proposal is that it makes FGs more valuable, and FGs are the refuge of chickenshit mother****ers.

It probably also encourages more 2-point conversion attempts, which is a great thing.

alnorth
03-04-2014, 11:57 AM

4. Go for it from the 2, but the kicker plays QB and the punter is the only guy allowed in the backfield - 4 points.
5. Kick returner stands on his goal line. Every player on the defending team must be a lineman. If he scores, 5 points.
6. Double down on an ensuing onside kick. If the kicking team recovers, they can try a field goal worth 6 points.
7. Go for it from the 2 yard line, but the defense gets to put 5 cheerleaders and 5 random fans on the field in addition to the defense - 7 points.

I would have known this was a rain man post even if the user ID was hidden.

Demonpenz
03-04-2014, 11:58 AM
I think that this is a large step back for the kickers.

A Salt Weapon
03-04-2014, 12:02 PM

ROFL

Just leave the XP alone and require a lineman to have to make the kick.

alnorth
03-04-2014, 12:03 PM

I disagree, the value of a good kicker would go way up.

If your kicker is iffy from beyond 40 yards it would be a severe drawback if the team feels like they always have to go for 2, vs a team with a good kicker having the realistic option of getting their point.

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 12:12 PM

23 yards to be exact. :D

Xanathol
03-04-2014, 12:13 PM
I like it - gives kickers more value.

Now move the damned kickoff back again, trash the Brady rules ( tuck rule, leg lunge, helmet tickle ), trash the targeting rule, and get back to football, damnit.

Demonpenz
03-04-2014, 12:16 PM
23 yards to be exact. :D

yes. it was a pun.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-04-2014, 12:21 PM
It probably also encourages more 2-point conversion attempts, which is a great thing.

Theoretically, but NFL coaches are the most statistically backwards group of idiots alive. They'll take the 75% chance for a point over a 50% chance for two, even if it makes no sense. The fourth down orthodoxy is great evidence of that.

Dave Lane
03-04-2014, 12:26 PM
This is kind of how I feel about it. Introduce some risk into the PAT.

I think the 20 yard line would be perfect. Where they spot the ball for a touchback and a 37 yard attempt

Bearcat
03-04-2014, 12:27 PM
They should setup a live twitter feed of every thought that crosses through the minds of those in the NFL offices, so we can all discuss.

Mr. Laz
03-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Some teams would go for 2 because of having a bad kicker
In cold weather is would change things even more

either way it would bring activity to what has become a boring play

bring interest to more aspects of the game is good

Bob Dole
03-04-2014, 01:24 PM
They should setup a live twitter feed of every thought that crosses through the minds of those in the NFL offices, so we can all discuss.

That would be a fun parody account to set up, actually.

Sannyasi
03-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Some teams would go for 2 because of having a bad kicker
In cold weather is would change things even more

either way it would bring activity to what has become a boring play

bring interest to more aspects of the game is good

Yep I agree. This would be a good change, which is why there is 0% chance of it happening.

Amnorix
03-04-2014, 01:40 PM

Yep.

Double yep.

Amnorix
03-04-2014, 01:44 PM
I like it - gives kickers more value.

Now move the damned kickoff back again, trash the Brady rules ( tuck rule, leg lunge, helmet tickle ), trash the targeting rule, and get back to football, damnit.

Tuck rule was already eliminated.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/2013-nfl-rule-changes-elimination-tuck-rule-peel-190327171.html

The rest are safety rules. Since the NFL does NOT want to invite any more multi-BILLION dollar lawsuits from former players, you will never see those go away.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/01/report-former-players-wanted-2-billion-in-concussion-settlements-nfl-offered-a-pittance-in-return/

alnorth
03-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Yep I agree. This would be a good change, which is why there is 0% chance of it happening.

I don't know, the replay system and the new overtime rules both seem pretty close to perfect to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL adopts what looks like a great change for PAT's.

morphius
03-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Can we at least make it a live ball, if the D intercepts, recovers a fumble, or blocks an attempt they should be able to return it for 1 or 2 points. Give the D more purpose to be out there on the special teams.

Strongside
03-04-2014, 02:05 PM
We fear change.

thabear04
03-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Since they want to move it on the 25 yard line does that mean College football and high school football will try and do the same?

alnorth
03-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Since they want to move it on the 25 yard line does that mean College football and high school football will try and do the same?

sure, right after they switch to the NFL's overtime rules.

Bob Dole
03-04-2014, 02:17 PM
SERIOUSLY WHATTHE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Imon Yourside
03-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Just adopt the CFL rules.

Rain Man
03-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Instead of an extra point, put the ball on the 50. Players start at their own goal line, and on the whistle it becomes a short game of bombardment. If the offense gets the ball and nails an opposing player with it, they get a point. If they miss or the defense gets the ball first, zero points. If the offense throws it and the defense catches it, the defense gets a point.

bowener
03-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Do it. It is better than getting rid of it. I think they should go a step farther and let the other team pick which hashmark you kick it from as well.

Dayze
03-04-2014, 03:20 PM
fine by me.

as soon as a team scores a TD, i get up to piss, get a beer, check scores on the computer etc.

extra point as it is now is useless.

Easy 6
03-04-2014, 03:22 PM
I understand the calls for "just leave things alone!" believe me... but of all the things they've proposed or changed, this one irks me the least.

Wouldnt be totally opposed to this change.

KCrockaholic
03-04-2014, 04:23 PM
The rules of football were fine 10 years ago, and in the 90's. Once Rog took over, it became a shit fest of attempting to finds ways to change the game. Jackass.

alnorth
03-04-2014, 04:25 PM
The rules of football were fine 10 years ago, and in the 90's. Once Rog took over, it became a shit fest of attempting to finds ways to change the game. Jackass.

Wrong. The rules of football were not fine 10 years ago or in the 90's, our current overtime and replay systems are better, and moving the PAT back is also an improvement in the game.

KCrockaholic
03-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Wrong. The rules of football were not fine 10 years ago or in the 90's, our current overtime and replay systems are better, and moving the PAT back is also an improvement in the game.

It wasn't fine? Replay has improved across all sports by default. The new OT is fine. But why weren't the previous rules ok? Of the game itself.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2014, 04:27 PM

Blame the owners.

They are paying him millions to do this.

KCrockaholic
03-04-2014, 04:29 PM
It's not even about finding ways to make the game "better" anymore. All they do each off season is find ways to make things different. Not everything that's different is going to be better, or have reason.

alnorth
03-04-2014, 04:30 PM
It wasn't fine? Replay has improved across all sports by default. The new OT is fine. But why weren't the previous rules ok? Of the game itself.

There is no logical reason, whatsoever, to think the current PAT is fine, other than tradition.

Put it another way, if the PAT never existed and we only ever had 6-point touchdowns and 2-point conversions, and if for some reason we decided we had to add a 1-point option, is there any chance in hell that we'd decide to kick it from the 2? No, there is not a chance in hell that we'd think that was a good idea, we'd probably want to make it more difficult to earn that point, but obviously not as hard as the 2-point conversion.

Announcers don't comment on the PAT, fans don't watch it, defenders don't seriously try to defend it, the PAT is a worthless abomination that must be improved or removed.

Bob Dole
03-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Your opinion is stupid and irrelevant.

Take that,you.

KCrockaholic
03-04-2014, 04:34 PM
There is no logical reason, whatsoever, to think the current PAT is fine, other than tradition.

Put it another way, if the PAT never existed and we only ever had 6-point touchdowns and 2-point conversions, and if for some reason we decided we had to add a 1-point option, is there any chance in hell that we'd decide to kick it from the 2? No, there is not a chance in hell that we'd think that was a good idea, we'd probably want to make it more difficult to earn that point, but obviously not as hard as the 2-point conversion.

Announcers don't comment on the PAT, fans don't watch it, defenders don't seriously try to defend it, the PAT is a worthless abomination that must be improved or removed.

Why are you going on a PAT rant? I just asked about things that have already been changed that make the sport so much better that they warranted changing. If they change PAT stuff, that's fine. It wouldn't bother me. But the fact that every single offseason is filled with "let's change this, let's change that" is really getting old. They're just looking for ways to change the game. Even if there isn't a reason for it. The NFL was just as much fun 10 years ago, 20 years ago, as it is now. Difference between now and 20 years ago is media has blown up at an epic proportion.

lcarus
03-04-2014, 04:36 PM
I don't wanna make kickers MORE part of the game. Fuck that. I don't want games won or lost on extra fucking points.

Bob Dole
03-04-2014, 04:36 PM
AND DO YOU ALL REALLY THINK THE 42 YARD PROPOSAL IS COINCIDENCE?

35, 39 and 42.

alnorth
03-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Why are you going on a PAT rant? I just asked about things that have already been changed that make the sport so much better that they warranted changing. If they change PAT stuff, that's fine. It wouldn't bother me. But the fact that every single offseason is filled with "let's change this, let's change that" is really getting old. They're just looking for ways to change the game. Even if there isn't a reason for it. The NFL was just as much fun 10 years ago, 20 years ago, as it is now. Difference between now and 20 years ago is media has blown up at an epic proportion.

Fine, ignore the PAT. This is a thread dedicated to the PAT, but whatever.

The rules of football were obviously not fine 10 years ago or 20 years ago because they just finished paying off billions of dollars to settle concussion lawsuits. The safety-related rules changes were absolutely necessary.

alpha_omega
03-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Doesn't bother me.

I also like the idea of a 4-point, 50+ yard FG

Rain Man
03-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Instead of an extra point, the player scoring the touchdown has to dunk it over the goalpost while the other team plays defense. No traveling calls since it's hard to dribble a football.

Bugeater
03-04-2014, 04:38 PM
I feel like Bob Dole is trying to make some kind of point in this thread.

alnorth
03-04-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't wanna make kickers MORE part of the game. **** that. I don't want games won or lost on extra ****ing points.

Fine, I'll mark you down as in favor of getting rid of PAT's then and just making TD's worth 7 points.

Whatever we do, we should not tolerate the PAT's current status of "piss break".

Xanathol
03-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Tuck rule was already eliminated.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/2013-nfl-rule-changes-elimination-tuck-rule-peel-190327171.html
Wow I missed that - awesome & thanks for the link!

The rest are safety rules. Since the NFL does NOT want to invite any more multi-BILLION dollar lawsuits from former players, you will never see those go away.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/01/report-former-players-wanted-2-billion-in-concussion-settlements-nfl-offered-a-pittance-in-return/
In reality, your statement is probably correct, but that doesn't change what should be done. Judges need to toss out many of those lawsuits. If injuries were being hidden or the such, that's one thing, but doing something you know is dangerous and getting hurt gives you no right to sue over it. Next thing you know, boxers will sue for getting hit in the face and it hurting...

Bob Dole
03-04-2014, 04:41 PM

Very good.

Neither battery removal or scrubbing with a dollar bill seems to have helped.

Rain Man
03-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Instead of an extra point, you have a hot dog eating contest between the coaches.

KCrockaholic
03-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Fine, ignore the PAT. This is a thread dedicated to the PAT, but whatever.

The rules of football were obviously not fine 10 years ago or 20 years ago because they just finished paying off billions of dollars to settle concussion lawsuits. The safety-related rules changes were absolutely necessary.

Money-wise, and saving asses wise, you're right. But the game itself wasn't a problem 10 years ago. It became a problem when half the guys started taking advantage of the lawsuit and jumping in even when they're completely healthy and don't have the symptoms of a guy like Ray Lucas. That's when it became a problem, because then the NFL was in some trouble. They were forced to change things at that point.

KCrockaholic
03-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Instead of an extra point, you have a hot dog eating contest between the coaches.

I'll take Andy Reid as my coach then.

Bugeater
03-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Very good.

Neither battery removal or scrubbing with a dollar bill seems to have helped.
You probably tripped the high limit switch.

Rain Man
03-04-2014, 05:51 PM
I'll take Andy Reid as my coach then.

Imagine the drama if a Super Bowl came down to a hot dog eating contest between Andy Reid and the Packers' Mike McCarthy with no time left on the clock.

philfree
03-04-2014, 05:52 PM
They could spot it at the 15 or 20 yard line and that'd be fine I guess but to me it's really a waste of time. In the end is the game going to be any more exciting then it already is? It's going to be hard to improve the game by any means at this point but they can make it different. Wooh Whoo!

chiefzilla1501
03-04-2014, 06:19 PM

If you take out the nonsense flags and violations and the unfortunate million rule changes protecting players, there's been a lot of change for the better.

We now have a 2-point conversion, instant replays and challenges, automatic booth reviews within 2 minutes, better rules on cut blocking, and a vastly improved overtime system.

And yes, I think it adds more intrigue even if we can reduce the number of misses by 1-2%. And I would absolutely love it if we made one more rule change to widen the hash marks. These are the kind of changes you can make that don't really make the casual fan feel like much has changed.

Calcountry
03-04-2014, 06:22 PM
This is kind of how I feel about it. Introduce some risk into the PAT.Make them drop kick it, but snap it from the same place they do now. Then, if the kicker wants to run, he can run it in, then at the last minute kick it.

Calcountry
03-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Simple solution, just outlaw place holders.

SeeingRed
03-04-2014, 08:55 PM
since it is a 99% certainty i agree with pushing it back a bit....but how far?

SeeingRed
03-04-2014, 08:59 PM

Imagine Andy against modern day Rex Ryan? :hmmm: he wouldve never gotten the lap band surgery if he knew this would happen. :#

TimeForWasp
03-04-2014, 11:07 PM
They should add bank shots for more points.

tk13
03-04-2014, 11:25 PM
I don't know, I kind of see both sides of the issue. It would make the game more exciting. But it's also kind of punishing a team for scoring. It might allow for more fluke outcomes if a team happens to miss a couple extra points. Why should a team lose a game by one point because their kicker missed a 40 yard XP or 2 point conversion? Is that fair?

Wallcrawler
03-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Stupid idea.

So you now have to score a touchdown, and successfully convert a field goal to get 7 points under this idea. 9 points worth of work to only earn 7? Nope.

Everyones all for this until their team gets screwed because they got that last second TD, only to have the kicker miss the field goal that would ordinarily have been the XPA to tie the game and their team loses by 1.

I cant believe that any Kansas City Chiefs fan would be for this rule change, with as cursed as KC has been with kickers.

Just leave shit alone. If you want to make changes to the game, get the game back to what it was. Lift the veil of protection off of quarterbacks, and let defenders play fucking defense.

Rausch
03-05-2014, 12:34 AM
Just leave shit alone. If you want to make changes to the game, get the game back to what it was. Lift the veil of protection off of quarterbacks, and let defenders play ****ing defense.

This...

Bugeater
03-05-2014, 12:52 AM
since it is a 99% certainty i agree with pushing it back a bit....but how far?
Anything but 35, 39 or 42.

Rausch
03-05-2014, 12:53 AM
since it is a 99% certainty i agree with pushing it back a bit....

Why?...

Bugeater
03-05-2014, 12:55 AM
Why?...
So the Chiefs will have a new and even more excruciating way to lose playoff games?

alnorth
03-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Stupid idea.

So you now have to score a touchdown, and successfully convert a field goal to get 7 points under this idea. 9 points worth of work to only earn 7? Nope.

Everyones all for this until their team gets screwed because they got that last second TD, only to have the kicker miss the field goal that would ordinarily have been the XPA to tie the game and their team loses by 1.

I cant believe that any Kansas City Chiefs fan would be for this rule change, with as cursed as KC has been with kickers.

Just leave shit alone. If you want to make changes to the game, get the game back to what it was. Lift the veil of protection off of quarterbacks, and let defenders play fucking defense.

Either bring the ball back, or get rid of PAT's and just say that a TD is worth 7 points. The current version of the PAT should not be tolerated.

Also, "a FG worth of work" includes driving the ball into FG range or getting a turnover within FG range. In this case they just put the ball on the 25 and let you kick it for free. So no, it is not even close to a FG worth of work.

alnorth
03-05-2014, 08:00 AM
I don't know, I kind of see both sides of the issue. It would make the game more exciting. But it's also kind of punishing a team for scoring. It might allow for more fluke outcomes if a team happens to miss a couple extra points. Why should a team lose a game by one point because their kicker missed a 40 yard XP or 2 point conversion? Is that fair?

Why should a team have a God-given right to that extra point? Is the TD worth 6 points, or is it worth 7? If it is worth 6, then that extra point needs to be more difficult than the current 99.4% conversion rate.

htismaqe
03-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Why should a team have a God-given right to that extra point? Is the TD worth 6 points, or is it worth 7? If it is worth 6, then that extra point needs to be more difficult than the current 99.4% conversion rate.

Exactly. Either move it back or just get rid of it altogether.

BigMeatballDave
03-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Here is a scenario this can create that I like:

Scoring a TD and down by 1 with seconds left.

Strong swirling winds.

Go for 2 for the win. Exciting.

This will force more 2-point trys.

BigMeatballDave
03-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Stupid idea.

Just leave shit alone. If you want to make changes to the game, get the game back to what it was. Lift the veil of protection off of quarterbacks, and let defenders play fucking defense.Then you were just not good enough to win.

BigMeatballDave
03-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Why?...Its a useless play.

Then make the TD worth 7 and do away with the PAT.

At least moving it back makes it somewhat challenging.

htismaqe
03-05-2014, 09:23 AM

Strong swirling winds.

And the first time a team loses that way, it will be a huge outcry.

People don't like change.

BigMeatballDave
03-05-2014, 09:32 AM

Can't please everyone.

htismaqe
03-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Can't please everyone.

Of course not. That's why we have the glorified Arena football game we have today. Lowest common denominator.

lcarus
03-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Fine, I'll mark you down as in favor of getting rid of PAT's then and just making TD's worth 7 points.

Whatever we do, we should not tolerate the PAT's current status of "piss break".

Ok. Fair enough. I'd rather just leave the game alone, but I'd much rather just make the PAT automatic than to move it back and make games decided on 42 yard extra points.

Just think about it. Chiefs down by 7 with 30 seconds. They manage to drive down and score as time expires. What a battle between the offense and defense all day. But OH NO RYAN SUCCOP SHANKS THE NOW 42 YARD PAT! IT WAS ALL FOR NOTHING! ....F that.

Chiefshrink
03-05-2014, 09:45 AM
I'd be okay with this. You'd see more 2-point conversion attempts.

Yep and start legitimizing kickers and making them actually earn their $$ if not more now. And the majority of kickers who now get taken in the 7th or undrafted might start going in the 6th if not 5th rounds IF they are really good. Still can't believe Seabass went in the 1st but then Al was alive then:rolleyes:

lcarus
03-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Yep and start legitimizing kickers and making them actually earn their $$ if not more now. And the majority of kickers who now get taken in the 7th or undrafted might start going in the 6th if not 5th rounds IF they are really good. Still can't believe Seabass went in the 1st but then Al was alive then:rolleyes:

You want the kickers to be a more vital part of the game? I'd say enough games come down to kickers as it is.

BigMeatballDave
03-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Ok. Fair enough. I'd rather just leave the game alone, but I'd much rather just make the PAT automatic than to move it back and make games decided on 42 yard extra points.

Just think about it. Chiefs down by 7 with 30 seconds. They manage to drive down and score as time expires. What a battle between the offense and defense all day. But OH NO RYAN SUCCOP SHANKS THE NOW 42 YARD PAT! IT WAS ALL FOR NOTHING! ....F that.

Grow a pair and go for 2 then.

htismaqe
03-05-2014, 09:49 AM

Go for the win or go home.

Lightrise
03-05-2014, 09:54 AM
This isn't the change I want. I would rather they force the kick from the right or left hash depending on where the touchdown was scored. This way it doesn't feel like a rule change but may add a bit more uncertainty. I would also like the ball to be live in the event of a block. That's enough for this situation and that they can implement for this season.

Rain Man
03-05-2014, 10:01 AM

Yeah, that's the big problem with this suggestion. It may add some drama, but not in a good way.

I still favor my suggestion that a TD is worth 7, but you can gamble a point. You get 8 if you go for 2 and make it, or it's 6 if you go for 2 and fail. (Of course, you'd have to change the name from "go for 2", but that's a detail.)

philfree
03-05-2014, 10:37 AM
For 1 point it's supposed to be a high percentage play. Spot it on the 15 yard line and have them kick it from the hashes.

alnorth
03-05-2014, 10:39 AM

Well, the other team would be pretty happy, though. But yeah the first time it happens there will be an outcry.

The 10th time it happens, not so much, and the 20th time it happens we'll just all laugh at the losing team.

htismaqe
03-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Well, the other team would be pretty happy, though. But yeah the first time it happens there will be an outcry.

The 10th time it happens, not so much, and the 20th time it happens we'll just all laugh at the losing team.

I wish.

You know it will happen to the Chiefs A LOT and there will always be a segment of fans that think it's unfair.

alnorth
03-05-2014, 10:47 AM
For 1 point it's supposed to be a high percentage play. Spot it on the 15 yard line and have them kick it from the hashes.

Just now looked it up, the FG% last season from 30-39 yards was 89.8%. (30 missed attempts out of 295).

I'd prefer the 25 and the roughly 20% miss rate, but having them miss roughly 10% of the time would still probably make the PAT interesting enough to be acceptable. You'd see a missed PAT (you or your opponent) about once every 2 games.

Right now, even when they badly shank it, its usually still good with maybe just some chuckles from the announcers.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2014, 10:48 AM

Strong swirling winds.

NFL coaches are cowards. Most will still kick.

Rain Man
03-05-2014, 10:49 AM
How about this?

After a touchdown, you put the ball on the 15. The offense gets one play and three points if they get across the goal line.

If they don't make it, you put it on the 10. They get one play and two points if they make it.

If they don't make it, you put it on the 5. They get one play and one point if they make it.

A Salt Weapon
03-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Maybe make the ball live, if the defending team recovers, they can advance or score. This should encourage the defenses to play. If they recover the ball and advance it but don't score, they can choose to keep that position for their possesion or elect to receive a kickoff.
That would also have league approval as they want to reduce kickoffs.

alnorth
03-05-2014, 10:57 AM
How about this?

After a touchdown, you put the ball on the 15. The offense gets one play and three points if they get across the goal line.

If they don't make it, you put it on the 10. They get one play and two points if they make it.

If they don't make it, you put it on the 5. They get one play and one point if they make it.

That is an interesting math problem. What is the expected value of this idea? Looking it up online, the conversion rate seems to be about 20%, 35%, and 45% for your 3 distances.

So, EV = (3 x 0.2) + (2 x 0.8 x 0.35) + (0.8 x 0.65 x 0.45) = 1.394 points

If we wanted to keep the EV at about 1 point, we'd need to adjust the distances.

htismaqe
03-05-2014, 10:59 AM
How about this?

How many minutes would that add to the average game?

alnorth
03-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Maybe make the ball live, if the defending team recovers, they can advance or score. This should encourage the defenses to play. If they recover the ball and advance it but don't score, they can choose to keep that position for their possesion or elect to receive a kickoff.

The odds of a block are so remote that all of these "make it live" suggestions are almost meaningless. If you want to tack it onto a larger PAT solution, OK sure, but it can't be the only rule change.

lcarus
03-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Why not just leave the game alone? It's so entertaining as it is. If a change is to be made, why not just make the PAT automatic unless you choose the 2 pt conversion. That's good enough for me. To hear some people here, they'd implement the coaches playing Plinko on the sidelines and long snappers required to snap the ball through a hoop on punts.

Rain Man
03-05-2014, 11:07 AM
That is an interesting math problem. What is the expected value of this idea? Looking it up online, the conversion rate seems to be about 20%, 35%, and 45% for your 3 distances.

So, EV = (3 x 0.2) + (2 x 0.8 x 0.35) + (0.8 x 0.65 x 0.45) = 1.394 points

If we wanted to keep the EV at about 1 point, we'd need to adjust the distances.

I was trying to make it roughly 1 EV point, but was too lazy to try to figure it out. We can adjust the distances, and it would still be the marvelous flying circus that the NFL wants.

alnorth
03-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Why not just leave the game alone? It's so entertaining as it is. If a change is to be made, why not just make the PAT automatic unless you choose the 2 pt conversion.

This has always been an acceptable solution. I prefer to make the PAT harder to introduce the drama of a missed PAT, but if you take that off the table and the choices were between Goodell's idea that he floated last month, or no change at all, then I'll take any improvement.

Rain Man
03-05-2014, 11:08 AM
How many minutes would that add to the average game?

Since the average NFL team now scores about 40 points per game, I'd estimate that it would add an hour. But that translates into a lot more enjoyment for football fans and a lot more ad revenue for the NFL. It's a win-win for everyone but 60 Minutes, which will be shown in its entirety after the game.

alnorth
03-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Since the average NFL team now scores about 40 points per game, I'd estimate that it would add an hour. But that translates into a lot more enjoyment for football fans and a lot more ad revenue for the NFL. It's a win-win for everyone but 60 Minutes, which will be shown in its entirety after the game.

Lets remove a quarter, problem solved.

(In case anyone takes this seriously, we've gone off the rails a bit with rain man's proposal.)

scho63
03-05-2014, 11:15 AM
I haven't been the biggest fan of most of the changes in the NFL but I like this one just like the Pro Bowl change

To have a 99.6% conversion rate for X/P's really makes them irrelevant as part of the overall game and strategy.

Not sure how 42 yards will play out from the current chip shot but I like the idea. Would make a lot of different strategies on going for a tie if the weather or wind is against you.

Rain Man
03-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Oh, I just had the best idea ever.

You know how some TV shows would cross pollinate? How the characters on one show would appear in guest shots in character on other shows? We could apply that concept to the NFL.

Imagine this:

The NFL drafts players from other sports (or games): baseball, basketball, golf, boxing, tennis, cricket, maybe even soccer.

The NFL team scores, and the extra point is derived from the other sport in some way. So for example, the Chiefs score a touchdown. For the extra point, we have drafted Tiger Woods in golf. The camera switches to Pebble Beach, and Tiger tees off on the 14th hole. If he makes a birdie, we get two points. If he makes par, we get one. If he goes over par, we get zero. You do the same with basketball matchups, hockey power plays, and so on, rotating between sports. It would be the ultimate game-day experience.

"Let's cut to Tokyo. The Chiefs will win the game if the 450-lbs. Ishimara can win this sumo match against 375-lb. Nakamura!"

Bugeater
03-05-2014, 11:41 AM
I think we should just stick to the hot dog eating contest.

Rain Man
03-05-2014, 11:49 AM
I think we should just stick to the hot dog eating contest.

But that's a sport! You could roll it into this bigger concept! It would work for everyone!

philfree
03-05-2014, 11:57 AM
If it were up to me I'd leave it alone but if were going to change then why not make it 1 point for the usual point after kick, but 2 points for a 35 yard kick and then 3 points for a 45 yarder. That would open the door for a Pandora's box of options. Oh the excitement!

beach tribe
03-05-2014, 03:56 PM
You want the kickers to be a more vital part of the game? I'd say enough games come down to kickers as it is.

This is where I'm at.

Who wants to put the game in the hands of the fucking kickers. F That.

As it is, the xp is ALMOST automatic.
It still does get fucked up, and that is an exiting anomaly IMO, and as close as I want an x fucking p to determine a game.

BlackHelicopters
03-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Horrible idea

Mr. Laz
03-05-2014, 04:02 PM
If it were up to me I'd leave it alone but if were going to change then why not make it 1 point for the usual point after kick, but 2 points for a 35 yard kick and then 3 points for a 45 yarder. That would open the door for a Pandora's box of options. Oh the excitement!
yuck

too gimmicky

Rain Man
03-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Maybe you take it out of the hands (feet?) of the kicker and give responsibility to the punter. You put him on his own 40 or thereabouts with no one else on the field, and he gets one point if he can kill the ball inside the ten, and two points if he can kill it inside the five. Honestly, that would be much more entertaining than an extra point.

alnorth
03-05-2014, 05:26 PM
This is where I'm at.

Who wants to put the game in the hands of the fucking kickers. F That.

As it is, the xp is ALMOST automatic.
It still does get fucked up, and that is an exiting anomaly IMO, and as close as I want an x fucking p to determine a game.

Fine, then get rid of them. TD's are now worth 7 points.

tmw4h5
03-05-2014, 05:36 PM
For what it's worth, I was at the TaylorMade event yesterday at Mission Hills and Mark Donovan was the guest speaker to open the event. People asked him some football related questions at the end and one of them was about the extra point.
He said the NFL is toying with the idea of having two sets of goal posts with field goals being worth two or three points.
For the extra point, he said that he doesn't see anything changing anytime soon on that.

bowener
03-05-2014, 05:38 PM

I like this idea. I have felt for a long time that the PAT should be live. It could be timed as well. Once the ball either hits the turf on a fumble or is blocked, the clock should start ticking, however it remains untimed if it is a successful kick.

I think this would make the game a lot more exciting and fun to watch, especially if they move the ball back from the 2 yard line. Imagine a game tying or gaming winning PAT from the 35 or whatever gets blocked. It would be awesome IMO.

Why not just leave the game alone? It's so entertaining as it is. If a change is to be made, why not just make the PAT automatic unless you choose the 2 pt conversion. That's good enough for me. To hear some people here, they'd implement the coaches playing Plinko on the sidelines and long snappers required to snap the ball through a hoop on punts.

While the game is entertaining, changing the PAT to a longer kick really doesn't hurt it, and actually makes the game more entertaining and exciting. If the rate of success just dropped to the mid to high 80 percentile, every PAT would be a nail biter for the fans. Tie that in with making it a live ball similar to field goal kicks, and it would make the game a lot more interesting.

philfree
03-05-2014, 05:59 PM
yuck

too gimmicky

Like I said "if were up to me I would leave it alone". Any change is too gimmicky.

Buzz
03-05-2014, 08:26 PM
I vote for a random topless cheerleader in a G-string has to kick it, now that's entertainment folks.

Cmd'r&Chief
03-05-2014, 10:00 PM

I wish you would stop posting

htismaqe
03-06-2014, 07:56 AM
I wish you would stop posting

Who the fuck are you?

Cmd'r&Chief
03-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Who the fuck are you?

Your messiah. Now kneel down before me.

Don't worry about who I am. I don't recall bringing you into this conversation. So make like a tree, and go Fuck yourself.

Dayze
03-06-2014, 08:47 AM
why not just do away with it and make a TD 7 points?

Cmd'r&Chief
03-06-2014, 12:36 PM

Because that is so bland and boring. What would you do with the 2 point conversation?

Cmd'r&Chief
03-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Because that is so bland and boring. What would you do with the 2 point conversation?

I've yet to hear a valid reason in why the PAT shouldn't be pushed back. The only argument I've heard, is "I don't like change". Do they not like competition? Do they think it will be too much of a challenge? Nobody has offered an actual reason, why pushing it back would be a bad idea

BigChiefFan
03-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Goodell needs a new hobby. His vision for football is rubbish. I can't wait until he's out the door.

Rausch
03-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Goodell needs a new hobby. His vision for football is rubbish. I can't wait until he's out the door.

Next year they'll all be wearing neon shoe laces and micro-fabrics that work with 3-D TV's...

Amnorix
03-06-2014, 12:52 PM

You think they will roll back safety rules that are designed to prevent mult-billion dollar lawsuits? They have already had such lawsuits filed against them, so believe me when I tell you that rules changes to (1) protect key star players, (2) protect offense over defense, and (3) enhance player safety, to avoid lawsuits, are going to keep coming. Not because Goodell is trying to ruin your sport, but because it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Second, the PAT is a rubbish play. Completely worthless. They definitely should do something about it.

BigChiefFan
03-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Next year they'll all be wearing neon shoe laces and micro-fabrics that work with 3-D TV's...

Lmao. I actually like that idea better than Goodell's tripe.

Rain Man
03-06-2014, 01:02 PM
You think they will roll back safety rules that are designed to prevent mult-billion dollar lawsuits? They have already had such lawsuits filed against them, so believe me when I tell you that rules changes to (1) protect key star players, (2) protect offense over defense, and (3) enhance player safety, to avoid lawsuits, are going to keep coming. Not because Goodell is trying to ruin your sport, but because it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Second, the PAT is a rubbish play. Completely worthless. They definitely should do something about it.

The interesting thing to me is whether they'll eventually roll back the marketing-oriented rules changes that are causing more injuries. By promoting an all-passing league, QBs are taking more drops and receivers and DBs are having more strong collisions (penalized or not), and both are leading to more injuries at those positions. While running seems more violent, I bet it produces fewer injuries. So will they ramp back the circus at some point and orient more toward running, even though that doesn't produce the ratings?

GloryDayz
03-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Yeah, this is going to get worse before it gets better...

MotherfuckerJones
03-06-2014, 11:03 PM
This is stupid. Just leave it alone. It gives teams an extra quick break

Simply Red
03-06-2014, 11:39 PM
Quit
Fooling with a successful product

Precisely this.

03-07-2014, 01:03 AM
Can we at least make it a live ball, if the D intercepts, recovers a fumble, or blocks an attempt they should be able to return it for 1 or 2 points. Give the D more purpose to be out there on the special teams.

I have never understood their reasoning for it NOT being a live ball.

03-07-2014, 01:06 AM

I'm getting that too. Wonder what it is?

03-07-2014, 01:13 AM

ROFL

03-07-2014, 01:20 AM

Ad revenue. PERIOD

beach tribe
03-07-2014, 01:41 AM
I've yet to hear a valid reason in why the PAT shouldn't be pushed back. The only argument I've heard, is "I don't like change". Do they not like competition? Do they think it will be too much of a challenge? Nobody has offered an actual reason, why pushing it back would be a bad idea

Yeah, they have. No one wants more of the game decided by fn kickers.
The xp while almost automatic still adds an interesting anomaly every now and then when they are missed. I can actually see it moved back, but a 42 yard xp?
32 yards MAYBE.

beach tribe
03-07-2014, 01:42 AM
I have never understood their reasoning for it NOT being a live ball.

This. It should most definitely be a live ball.

beach tribe
03-07-2014, 01:44 AM
The interesting thing to me is whether they'll eventually roll back the marketing-oriented rules changes that are causing more injuries. By promoting an all-passing league, QBs are taking more drops and receivers and DBs are having more strong collisions (penalized or not), and both are leading to more injuries at those positions. While running seems more violent, I bet it produces fewer injuries. So will they ramp back the circus at some point and orient more toward running, even though that doesn't produce the ratings?

I would still like to see #s that show players getting hurt less because of the rules they implement.

Cmd'r&Chief
03-07-2014, 06:11 AM
Yeah, they have. No one wants more of the game decided by fn kickers.
The xp while almost automatic still adds an interesting anomaly every now and then when they are missed. I can actually see it moved back, but a 42 yard xp?
32 yards MAYBE.

So you prefer the automatic extra point. That is interesting and not boring to you.

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 07:26 AM

The hits on the back end seem more violent but that's not where the head injuries are coming from.

Linemen, offensive and defensive both, are the guys that suffer the most. Constant contact.

Valiant
03-07-2014, 11:09 AM
I'd say if you see the placeholder setting up shop at the 32, it's a safe bet that they are kicking.

:)

First off. It is stupid, leave shit alone. If you want to fix something. Fix opi being called all the time. WRs push off all the damn time. I hate watching that shit.

Now on the further extra point. It would be easier to complete a fake. Everyone would be on the line. Which you would think it would be good for the game. But you know Goodellwwould bit ch and make a rule change.

just like that shit rule they tried passing on quick offenses.

sfuria
03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
First off. It is stupid, leave shit alone. If you want to fix something. Fix opi being called all the time. WRs push off all the damn time. I hate watching that shit.

Now on the further extra point. It would be easier to complete a fake. Everyone would be on the line. Which you would think it would be good for the game. But you know Goodellwwould bit ch and make a rule change.

just like that shit rule they tried passing on quick offenses.

Why would they fake it? And if they do, so what. Its not a first down or a touchdown they're trying to make. It's either an extra point or two points for which they'd have to get 25 yards. If you're going to try to get the two points, you may as well start from the 2 yard line instead of faking from the 25 yard line.

Valiant
03-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Why would they fake it? And if they do, so what. Its not a first down or a touchdown they're trying to make. It's either an extra point or two points for which they'd have to get 25 yards. If you're going to try to get the two points, you may as well start from the 2 yard line instead of faking from the 25 yard line.

Most teams will be able to operate better with more yards with the passing rules. You would also force defenses to call time outs. No safety help. Or wrong players out there. Good coaches will be able to kill with it.

Then I just saw a good point. The amount of injuries will also spike up.