PDA

View Full Version : Football Eagles release WR Jason Avant, per league source. PFT

Mr_Tomahawk
03-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Welcome to Kansas City...

Eleazar
03-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Avant us to sign him!

MotherfuckerJones
03-04-2014, 10:09 AM
No thanks.

RealSNR
03-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Really hope he doesn't show up here

Pasta Little Brioni
03-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Cam we just get a slapdick released repository?

Mr. Laz
03-04-2014, 10:12 AM
If he wants to show up and try to take Avery's job or something, that's fine

i just don't want him screwing up the process of drafting a WR

The Franchise
03-04-2014, 10:13 AM

We could....but you either end up with everyone complaining that they hate mega-threads or you end up with someone starting it who ends up falling behind on keeping it up to date.

BlackHelicopters
03-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Thanks but no thanks.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-04-2014, 10:22 AM
We could....but you either end up with everyone complaining that they hate mega-threads or you end up with someone starting it who ends up falling behind on keeping it up to date.

Still bears a new thread for EVERY jobber that gets released.

nychief
03-04-2014, 10:23 AM
hot old garbage.

Chief Roundup
03-04-2014, 10:26 AM
I sure hope not. Dude will be 31 in a little over a month. I imagine Avant is out of the league now.

The Franchise
If they decide to cut Avery, draft a rookie and not re-sign McCluster....that gives us what?

Bowe
Rookie
Jenkins
Hemmingway

As long as he's cheap....I'd have no problem with Avant being a #4 or #5 WR.

The Franchise

Yet people find it funny when spin off threads take over the entire fucking front page.

TLO
03-04-2014, 10:27 AM
No.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Yet people find it funny when spin off threads take over the entire fucking front page.

True. I don't even think it's important enough to mention.

Chief Roundup
03-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Yet people find it funny when spin off threads take over the entire ****ing front page.

Yeah like yesterday when everything was Lou. I don't know what was going on with that but, I knew just to leave because there was nothing football oriented going on.

Mr. Laz
03-04-2014, 10:44 AM
You see the name on the thread, don't open it.

it's not like the CP traffic level during this time of the year is good anyway.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-04-2014, 10:45 AM
You see the name on the thread, don't open it.

it's not like the CP traffic level during this time of the year is good anyway.

Nope

Marco Polo
03-04-2014, 10:49 AM
He'd be a good #4 WR at the slot. He is sure handed and a locker room leader.

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 10:50 AM
He'd be a good #4 WR at the slot. He is sure handed and a locker room leader.

Exactly.

Everybody wants to draft a WR, but who do you have to help him learn the position?

Avant is a much better influence on a young stud than Bowe, IMO.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-04-2014, 10:55 AM
I'd give him < 1 million for sure.

Marco Polo
03-04-2014, 10:57 AM
He could probably be had at the league veteran minimum.

MTG#10
03-04-2014, 11:06 AM
He catches everything thrown in his general direction.

CoMoChief
03-04-2014, 11:10 AM
No thanks...even though this is the exact kind of player the chiefs would pick up in FA.

CoMoChief
03-04-2014, 11:11 AM
He catches everything thrown in his general direction.

Slower than fuck though.

The Franchise
03-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Slower than fuck though.

Who gives a fuck when it's your 4th or 5th WR? Not every WR on this team is going to be a burner.

Mr. Laz
03-04-2014, 11:18 AM
No thanks...even though this is the exact kind of player the chiefs would pick up in FA.

as long as we pick him up to be the 4th receiver

If we pick him up expecting him to be our #2 then we have a problem

MTG#10
He vants to catch a lot of balls, yeah!

CoMoChief
Who gives a **** when it's your 4th or 5th WR? Not every WR on this team is going to be a burner.

Its bad when you dont have anyone with great speed and cant seperate and keep secondaries honest downfield. Whos our burner Jenkins? Lmao. This team needs not just a little depth at WR....chiefs needs someone that can play opposite of Bowe. Avant isn't nor shouldnt be that guy

saphojunkie
03-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Why do you care? Honestly, I have no idea why people give a shit that a new thread gets started. It doesn't affect you in the ****ing slightest, except that you're in here posting.

Then again, if its completely irrational, which it appears to be, then me bitching about it won't do any good.

Carry on.

But seriously, why do people care?

Whatever, it doesn't matter. Nevermind.

(but seriously why)

saphojunkie
03-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Its bad when you dont have anyone with great speed and cant seperate and keep secondaries honest downfield. Whos our burner Jenkins? Lmao. This team needs not just a little depth at WR....chiefs needs someone that can play opposite of Bowe. Avant isn't nor shouldnt be that guy

Odell Beckham.

The Franchise
03-04-2014, 11:23 AM

Absolutely no one has advocated bringing him in to play opposite of Bowe. The people that want to bring him in are wanting to also draft a WR like Beckham or Cooks in the 1st round to play opposite Bowe.

TEX
03-04-2014, 11:24 AM

I agree. Just more of the same....However, as someone mentioned earlier, he is a locker room guy and would be a good influence on the young WR's.

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Absolutely no one has advocated bringing him in to play opposite of Bowe. The people that want to bring him in are wanting to also draft a WR like Beckham or Cooks in the 1st round to play opposite Bowe.

Exactly.

MTG#10
03-04-2014, 11:32 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XagvsSXSxnY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-04-2014, 11:39 AM
All I care about is can he catch the ****ing ball. Who did I have the most faith in other than Jamaal to catch the ball last season?.....Dexter McCluster.....NIce, but he's not all that

The Franchise
03-04-2014, 11:40 AM
I would be just fine with...

Bowe
Beckham/Cooks
Jenkins
Avant
Hemmingway

ct
03-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Your #4/5 receiver is only on the field for specific situations, and a sure handed smart headed guy is exactly what I want in that role.

AJ Jenkins? Some midget street FA bouncing on/off the roster? CFL superstar? Avant would be more reliable option than any of them imo.

jjchieffan
03-04-2014, 12:09 PM

Yeah because I would hate for football news to push Don't call me Shirley or MR Doggity on TV threads off the front page! I swear why do people bitch about football news being posted on a football board???

Jimmya
03-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Will kc still take a wr if they sign Avant?

thabear04
03-04-2014, 01:09 PM

Bowe
Beckham/Cooks
Jenkins
Avant
Hemmingway

Don't we still have Avery?

Mr. Laz
03-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Will kc still take a wr if they sign Avant?
If taking Avant mean passing another a young stud WR then i don't want him.

I don't see what it would though

Mr. Laz
03-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Let Avery,Jenkins and Hemingway compete for a spot.

The Franchise
03-04-2014, 01:13 PM

Yes....but there is a rumor out there that the Chiefs might cut Avery.

thabear04
03-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Yes....but there is a rumor out there that the Chiefs might cut Avery.

If the rumor true and it give us more cap space to resign Smith and give Houston a extension then I'm okay with that.

BlackHelicopters
03-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Tyler Bray

Sfeihc
03-04-2014, 01:20 PM

Bowe
Beckham/Cooks
Jenkins
Avant
Hemmingway

This.:)

Sfeihc
03-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Baring a trade Dorsey could use the other five draft picks on an O-lineman and across the defense.

BossChief
03-04-2014, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't be interested until late in free agency.

This is not only a fantastic receiver class in the draft, it's also a deep free agency crop of receivers.

There are better options than a 31 year old player.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-04-2014, 02:17 PM
Why do you care? Honestly, I have no idea why people give a shit that a new thread gets started. It doesn't affect you in the ****ing slightest, except that you're in here posting.

Then again, if its completely irrational, which it appears to be, then me bitching about it won't do any good.

Carry on.

But seriously, why do people care?

Whatever, it doesn't matter. Nevermind.

(but seriously why)

Why do you care that I care?

saphojunkie
03-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Why do you care that I care?

I have no idea!

RealSNR
03-04-2014, 03:26 PM
If they decide to cut Avery, draft a rookie and not re-sign McCluster....that gives us what?

Bowe
Rookie
Jenkins
Hemmingway

Why would they cut Avery and sign Avant? Avery's contract isn't THAT crippling. Not only that, but Avery adds a dimension to the offense that we currently do not have.

He's not brilliant, and we should probably look to find a better WR2, but Avery is younger than Avant, faster, and just plain better.

Easy 6
03-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Avery and Avant are a wash IMO, one guys faster, the other has better hands... but if I had to choose I'll keep the speed.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Avery and Avant are a wash IMO, one guys faster, the other has better hands... but if I had to choose I'll keep the speed.

I'm with you.

Fuck catching the ball!

I just want to watch someone run down the field.

The Franchise
03-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Why would they cut Avery and sign Avant? Avery's contract isn't THAT crippling. Not only that, but Avery adds a dimension to the offense that we currently do not have.

He's not brilliant, and we should probably look to find a better WR2, but Avery is younger than Avant, faster, and just plain better.

The Chiefs won't have to cut anyone else in order to be in compliance with the salary cap. They'll be OK in that regard. But before the season? Don't know how much of a surprise this would be but Donnie Avery could be gone depending on what else happens at wide receiver. If the Chiefs sign a veteran or draft a receiver in the first round, Avery's roster spot could be in jeopardy. Something else to watch at wide receiver is the development of A.J. Jenkins. If he looks like he's making progress after an offseason in the Chiefs' system, that also could be trouble for Avery.

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/tag/_/name/donnie-avery

Easy 6
03-04-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm with you.

**** catching the ball!

I just want to watch someone run down the field.

I know right? it sucked watching him blow by everyone for a 79 yard td!

RealSNR
03-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Are we doing this stupid circular bitching crap again?

"Our guys fucking suck at catching the ball! Bring in some sure-handed veterans and keep those training camp guys who didn't drop it in preseason!"

"Our QB has nobody to throw to! Nobody's open! We need some speed to stretch the defense and get open!"

"That guy we brought in last year doesn't catch the ball! Replace him with this slow veteran guy who just got cut!"

... etc.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-04-2014, 03:42 PM
I know right? it sucked watching him blow by everyone for a 79 yard td!

LOL.

He is worth a once-in-a-season catch like that I suppose.

The Franchise
03-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Are we doing this stupid circular bitching crap again?

"Our guys fucking suck at catching the ball! Bring in some sure-handed veterans and keep those training camp guys who didn't drop it in preseason!"

"Our QB has nobody to throw to! Nobody's open! We need some speed to stretch the defense and get open!"

"That guy we brought in last year doesn't catch the ball! Replace him with this slow veteran guy who just got cut!"

... etc.

I'm saying you replace Avery and McCluster with Beckham/Cooks and Avant. Avant is your 4th or 5th WR at vet minimum.

mcaj22
03-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Sounds like Avery could be more of a cut closer to training camp, ya know after they see if AJ Jenkins figured out how to not be a horrible bust.

RealSNR
03-04-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm saying you replace Avery and McCluster with Beckham/Cooks and Avant. Avant is your 4th or 5th WR at vet minimum.

Yeah, I know. I was referring to Tomahawk's post where he brought up "FUCK CATCHING THE BALL LAWL"

temper11
03-04-2014, 06:09 PM

Bowe
Rookie
Jenkins
Hemmingway

What, no mention of Westin Dressler? Tape of him I've seen reminds me of Welker. I completely realize that it is tape of the Canadian football league, but I still have hopes that we got lucky with a diamond in the rough. No one else giving this guy a chance in hell?

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 06:13 PM
What, no mention of Westin Dressler? Tape of him I've seen reminds me of Welker. I completely realize that it is tape of the Canadian football league, but I still have hopes that we got lucky with a diamond in the rough. No one else giving this guy a chance in hell?

Why would you? He's literally "nobody".

Deberg_1990
03-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Welcome to Kansas City...

The Reid connection should be able to get this done
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
03-04-2014, 06:14 PM

Training camp fodder
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
03-04-2014, 06:19 PM

Two words: Jesse Haynes.

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Two words: Jesse Haynes.

Casey.

Printers.

Brock
03-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Casey.

Printers.

Ted.

White.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Warren Moon

SUCK IT, CANUCK HATERZ!

RealSNR
03-04-2014, 06:37 PM

He played for the University of North Dakota in college. I've seen what he can do as a football player.

He was an adequate weapon for the team when they were playing Portland State and Cal-Davis. Adequate. Not brilliant. He wasn't shredding those teams by any measure. He was just okay. He's probably improved since playing in Canada now, but even then he's got no size or speed advantage that we didn't already have with McCluster. And McCluster actually turned into a decent receiving option on short-middle range slants. Dressler has about a 1% chance of even replicating what we got out of McCluster last season.

Deberg_1990
03-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Ted.

White.

Nate Hobgood-Chittick
Posted via Mobile Device

temper11
03-04-2014, 07:40 PM
He played for the University of North Dakota in college. I've seen what he can do as a football player.

He was an adequate weapon for the team when they were playing Portland State and Cal-Davis. Adequate. Not brilliant. He wasn't shredding those teams by any measure. He was just okay. He's probably improved since playing in Canada now, but even then he's got no size or speed advantage that we didn't already have with McCluster. And McCluster actually turned into a decent receiving option on short-middle range slants. Dressler has about a 1% chance of even replicating what we got out of McCluster last season.

At 1% of the salary to maybe go out and pick up a #2 WR? I'm just saying if he can produce somewhere near what we had with McCluster, that would be a huge gain... no?

MTG#10
03-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Guys like Dressler are fun stories that rarely pan out. A lot of guys could be amazing if they got a running start at the LOS. I doubt he will translate well to the NFL but at least the older guys have there great white hope for this camp.

Simply Red
03-04-2014, 07:54 PM

Bowe
Beckham/Cooks
Jenkins
Avant
Hemmingway

where is Avery bud?

Deberg_1990
03-04-2014, 07:59 PM
where is Avery bud?

Where is McCluster bud?
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red
03-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Where is McCluster bud?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm srs.

Avery will blow us away next season - I'm telling you, it'll be a breakout yr.

I'm not even joking - if someone would like to open up the arena and spar over this - I'm entirely down.

This guy is our burner.

Simply Red
03-04-2014, 08:10 PM
because we can take it to the chat room. Get at me.

beach tribe
03-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Has anyone heard any rumors of a team that was interested in McCluster?
Wonder how much coin teams really think he's worth?
Wouldn't mind bringing him back if it's not steep.

Simply Red
03-04-2014, 08:51 PM

I like McCluster also - I'm not sure they're using him correctly - even w/ Andy's O - honestly look at his numbers at Miss. Dude was a phenomenal NCAA player.

I think people stereotype him because he's short, black & looks like Lucacris.

BossChief
03-04-2014, 09:07 PM
If Avery can find a way to catch the ball more consistently, he can be a real weapon.

Trouble is, he hasn't shown the ability to do that yet.

He is one of the fastest players in the league and is a matchup nightmare to almost any corner...trouble is...what good is it if someone gets open but drops the ball?

Micjones
03-04-2014, 10:25 PM
If the Chiefs know either Avery or McCluster aren't coming back, sure.
Otherwise, I'll pass. We can do better in free agency than Jason Avant.

Easy 6
03-05-2014, 01:10 AM

I've read three or so articles that seem to think the Giants need/want him.

Just Passin' By
03-05-2014, 02:34 AM
Avant's numbers took a big drop, despite being on a better team than the previous season, even with Maclin missing the season and Celek's numbers being down. Even though the number of passes for the team, as a whole was lower, Avant's reception totals dipped more than just the drop would indicate. The difference wasn't huge, but you're looking at him losing out on catches to Riley Cooper, not Maclin and Celek. At his age, you have to wonder if that's just a small aberration, a matter of a new QB finding a new binkie, or the first year of his decline.

chiefs1111
03-05-2014, 03:08 AM

This

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2014, 10:36 AM

Let's be clear....YouTube highlights are not game tape

temper11
03-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Let's be clear....YouTube highlights are not game tape

I understand that, I do. I'm not here saying that he's the answer, But the dude is scrappy and from what I hear from roughrider fans is that he can catch absolutely everything that he can get his hands on. After a season of drop after drop after drop after drop after drop after drop, that sounds really good to me. I care less about the guys that can stretch the field once every other game and connect on a bomb than I do a guy that can find a pocket, catch a ball in traffic, pick up 6 to 15 yards a completion and keep moving the chains. West coast offense gets crippled when you have guys that are dropping balls that should be caught.

Again, I just didn't see anyone here mentioning him. Wanted to see what the planet thought. I hope he surprises. Not saying that I'm expecting that, but I like the signing. See if he can make the cut - no harm no foul.

beach tribe
03-05-2014, 12:31 PM
I understand that, I do. I'm not here saying that he's the answer, But the dude is scrappy and from what I hear from roughrider fans is that he can catch absolutely everything that he can get his hands on. After a season of drop after drop after drop after drop after drop after drop, that sounds really good to me. I care less about the guys that can stretch the field once every other game and connect on a bomb than I do a guy that can find a pocket, catch a ball in traffic, pick up 6 to 15 yards a completion and keep moving the chains. West coast offense gets crippled when you have guys that are dropping balls that should be caught.

Again, I just didn't see anyone here mentioning him. Wanted to see what the planet thought. I hope he surprises. Not saying that I'm expecting that, but I like the signing. See if he can make the cut - no harm no foul.
He is just hope bro.

Nothing more.

Can't count on him making the 53 at all.
I'm pulling for him but the chances are very slim.

temper11
03-05-2014, 12:41 PM
He is just hope bro.

Nothing more.

Can't count on him making the 53 at all.
I'm pulling for him but the chances are very slim.

fair enough... but I'm going to hold onto that hope. Wesslen Dressler as the next Wes Welker is what is going to get me through this off season. :)

htismaqe
03-05-2014, 01:09 PM
fair enough... but I'm going to hold onto that hope. Wesslen Dressler as the next Wes Welker is what is going to get me through this off season. :)

ROFL

Awesome.

saphojunkie
03-05-2014, 01:19 PM
I miss Frankie Hammond Jr.

ForeverChiefs58
03-05-2014, 02:27 PM
DeSean Jackson could be on the outs in Philly

After the 2013 season ended, Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson said he wants a new contract. And he may get one.

Just not in the way he envisioned.

With Jackson due to make $10.5 million in 2014 and the Eagles re-signing Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin at much lower rates, the Eagles could be ready to move on from Jackson. Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com explained the various factors during a Wednesday appearance on PFT Live, which include: (1) coach Chip Kelly’s aversion to small receivers; (2) Kelly’s aversion to me-first players; and (3) Jackson’s periodic unusual behavior, such as the recent theft of guns, jewelry, and $250,000 in cash from his home.

While a trade would be the first option, who would give up $10.5 million in 2014 for Jackson? Unless he’s willing to restructure his contract (and he possibly would be so inclined only if he were getting a raise), the Eagles could have a hard time finding a partner.

Which means that the only way to part ways with Jackson would be to cut him.

Dumping him with a post-June 1 designation would result in a cap hit of only $2 million in 2014 and $4 million in 2015. It also would create $10.5 million that could be spent in 2014 or later on other players, like perhaps quarterback Nick Foles, who’ll be eligible for a new deal after the coming season.

Mosher said during PFT Live that Jackson could be “one false step away” from being cut. With tight end Zach Ertz expected to play the slot and Cooper and Maclin under contract, it could be an easy move for the team to make — especially with a buyer’s market in free agency and a deep draft at the receiver position.

Easy 6
03-05-2014, 03:07 PM
GIMME GIMME GIMME

I love the opportunity for redundancy/failsafes we have for the skill positions this year... if Kelce breaks down we need a solid rook just in case, if the rook WR takes forever to learn the ropes we have a proven vet in Jackson.

mcaj22
03-05-2014, 05:39 PM
honest question, the guy is already making like 10-12 million per year and he wants a NEW contract? so like even more money than that? How is that even realistic? (hint: it's not)

Mecca
03-05-2014, 06:02 PM
honest question, the guy is already making like 10-12 million per year and he wants a NEW contract? so like even more money than that? How is that even realistic? (hint: it's not)

That's simply called wanting to cash in on a big signing bonus while making a nice chunk during the season. You could pay him less than 10 million for this coming season if you gave him a big ass signing bonus and he'd be happy.

Simply Red
03-05-2014, 06:03 PM
I still like Avery - I don't care.

mcaj22
03-05-2014, 06:43 PM
That's simply called wanting to cash in on a big signing bonus while making a nice chunk during the season. You could pay him less than 10 million for this coming season if you gave him a big ass signing bonus and he'd be happy.

so it basically comes down to what NFL owner likes cutting the biggest bonuses? Wonder if there is a chart/trend that follows who cuts the biggest bonus checks in the NFL, regardless of salary cap/how good or bad the team is.

CoMoChief
03-05-2014, 06:46 PM
I still like Avery - I don't care.

Any reason why? He can't catch the damn ball.

Simply Red
03-05-2014, 06:47 PM

I have a feeling - IDK - he came on a bit better toward the end of the season - maybe I just WANT to believe. We will see. I bet he puts up a nice season this next yr, provided he's w/ KC.

salame
03-05-2014, 07:22 PM
I'd take Avant

J Diddy
03-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Avant?

Isn't that the thing Rainman had? (not the poster but the character Dustin Hoffman played)

Ragged Robin
03-05-2014, 08:18 PM
No thanks. Dude is 30 and has never, at any point in his career, be better than a #3 forced to play as a #2. He's just a guy. We have way too many of "just a guy" types in our receiving corps already..

But sometimes he does! And when that happens, it's usually awesome ROFL. Can't deny that 4.27 speed.

thabear04
03-10-2014, 08:35 PM
When the Philadelphia Eagles let go of veteran wide receiver Jason Avant last week, some thought it was a no-brainer that the Kansas City Chiefs would come calling and a reunion with Andy Reid might be in the cards. Well, those people may have been absolutely correct.

Back in 2006, Reid drafted Avant to the Philadelphia Eagles after a standout career with the Michigan Wolverines. During his seven years with Reid and the Eagles, he was one of the more reliable targets for the current Chiefs coach and prospered in the offense.

Avant would be a perfect addition to an already potent Chiefs offense like we saw last year. He could line up both in the slot and on the outside, although in the seven years together, Reid was more comfortable with Avant running routes from the inside.

Whether or not the Chiefs will pull the trigger on the move remains to be seen, but it wouldn’t be the worst acquisition in the world, that’s for sure.

booger
03-10-2014, 08:36 PM
I miss Frankie Hammond Jr.

he was resigned to a futures contract for '14. He should get another shot

Rausch
03-10-2014, 08:37 PM

He provided most of our big plays in the passing game last year...

htismaqe
03-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Avant would be a perfect addition to an already potent Chiefs offense like we saw last year. He could line up both in the slot and on the outside, although in the seven years together, Reid was more comfortable with Avant running routes from the inside.

What crackhead at the Star wrote this?

RippedmyFlesh
03-10-2014, 10:23 PM
I have a feeling - IDK - he came on a bit better toward the end of the season - maybe I just WANT to believe. We will see. I bet he puts up a nice season this next yr, provided he's w/ KC.

It's that play in the playoffs that has you hypnotized. Like the crazy yet hot looking hookup you had. You know she's nuts but that one time it was so good.

BossChief
03-10-2014, 11:27 PM

The offense was pretty damn good once they got up to speed with the WCO after the bye and Andy Reid had his little chit chat with Alex.

Chiefshrink
03-10-2014, 11:34 PM

Bowe
Rookie
Jenkins
Hemmingway

Great possession receiver especially on 3rd down. He's got that on Bowe:p

Rausch
03-10-2014, 11:34 PM
The offense was pretty damn good once they got up to speed with the WCO after the bye and Andy Reid had his little chit chat with Alex.

I'll ignore the final week of the year because that was all scrubbs but before that the offense scored 38, 28, 45, 56, and 7 pts in a 5 week stretch.

After that we scored 300 pts on the Colts in their house and lost.

3 of those 5 weeks were vs. playoff teams.

ALL THREE of those teams won playoff games.

Our offense could score. Should still score. We are losing virtually no playmakers on offense. Our OL will be the only question going forward...

mcaj22
03-10-2014, 11:36 PM
actually our defense will be the only question going forward.

RunKC
03-10-2014, 11:37 PM
I think Avant could be a good signing. We didn't have a weapon like him last year. He's got some quickness to him and he has something Avery doesn't have: great hands.

TEX
03-11-2014, 03:53 AM
I think Avant could be a good signing. We didn't have a weapon like him last year. He's got some quickness to him and he has something Avery doesn't have: great hands.

Avant blows. Why wouldnt Kelly keep him in his open style of offense if he were any good? Its not like the dude wants to break the bank. This guy is a "never was" type of player. He brings nothing to the table that KC doesnt already have on the roster.

Rausch
03-11-2014, 04:10 AM
Avant blows. Why wouldnt Kelly keep him in his open style of offense if he were any good? Its not like the dude wants to break the bank. This guy is a "never was" type of player. He brings nothing to the table that KC doesnt already have on the roster.

We don't have pass catchers at the WR position...

htismaqe
03-11-2014, 06:26 AM

The offense was borderline great in the Colts game and pretty damn good in a couple more games down the stretch.

It was also completely impotent for a good stretch in the first half of the season.

Overall, they finished strong. However, "potent" is just a ridiculously poor choice for words to describe the offense "last year"...

htismaqe
03-11-2014, 06:26 AM

Or at TE. This team has holes.

Eleazar
03-11-2014, 06:47 AM
Eh. Bring him in, but so what?

Dunerdr
03-11-2014, 07:06 AM
Old wco receiver to help bring some young guys up to speed maybe?

htismaqe
03-11-2014, 07:09 AM
Old wco receiver to help bring some young guys up to speed maybe?

He's a good locker room influence and a guy that really knows the offense. He could mentor a potential 1st round draft pick...

Dunerdr
03-11-2014, 07:16 AM
He's a good locker room influence and a guy that really knows the offense. He could mentor a potential 1st round draft pick...

I'd be fine with that maybe to mentor a high potential guy like Watkins...

htismaqe
03-11-2014, 07:18 AM
I'd be fine with that maybe to mentor a high potential guy like Watkins...

Watkins is a top 10 lock, just so you know.

Dunerdr
03-11-2014, 07:33 AM

Haven't kept up much since pre combine. I assumed he wouldn't be a top 10 guy with his small catch radius . I did like him I think he has an green potential. Well whatever receiver makes 23. Maybe we go receiver in round 3 on an upside guy that's a little raw have avant bring him along.

King_Chief_Fan
03-11-2014, 07:40 AM

:spock: wut?

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Sounds like a great name to hear over a stadium loud speaker. WITH THE FIRST DOWN, JASON AVANT

Dunerdr
03-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Javier arenas sounded cool, look how that played out.

RealSNR
03-11-2014, 08:56 AM
I was totally against this at first, but the dude's gonna be dirt cheap. Why the hell not? It's not like we have to keep him if butterflies start shitting rainbows and guys like Dressler, Hemingway, and Jenkins suddenly become dependable and great WRs.

TEX
03-11-2014, 09:01 AM

Exactly my point. We have enough of his kind here.

The Franchise
03-11-2014, 09:12 AM
I was totally against this at first, but the dude's gonna be dirt cheap. Why the hell not? It's not like we have to keep him if butterflies start shitting rainbows and guys like Dressler, Hemingway, and Jenkins suddenly become dependable and great WRs.

And if we draft a WR in the 1st....he moves down to your 4th WR where he's a perfect fit. We'd pretty much be rolling with Bowe, Avery, Rookie, Avant and Jenkins.

King_Chief_Fan
03-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Exactly my point. We have enough of his kind here.

yes

htismaqe
03-11-2014, 09:38 AM

Exactly.

He's not the type of guy that will cause them to say "welp, we're done at WR. Don't need to draft one now."

And he IS the type of guy that could mentor a young WR. We certainly don't have anybody on the roster now that fits that bill.

Buehler445
03-11-2014, 11:53 AM

Maybe it is the sleep deprivation, but that made me laugh hard.

Normally I'd agree. And I probably still do. BUT Chip Kelly is trying to be the smartest guy in the room Pioli style. FFS he's trying to get rid of Jackson. If anything makes that offense go it's the threat of Jackson going yard. If Reid is comfortable and we are in the vet minimum territory I'm not going to bitch. If it doesn't work out, it's 800K.

More articulate way of saying what I tried to.

TEX
03-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Maybe it is the sleep deprivation, but that made me laugh hard.

Normally I'd agree. And I probably still do. BUT Chip Kelly is trying to be the smartest guy in the room Pioli style. FFS he's trying to get rid of Jackson. If anything makes that offense go it's the threat of Jackson going yard. If Reid is comfortable and we are in the vet minimum territory I'm not going to bitch. If it doesn't work out, it's 800K.

More articulate way of saying what I tried to.

I understand the logic in that.

saphojunkie
03-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Exactly.

He's not the type of guy that will cause them to say "welp, we're done at WR. Don't need to draft one now."

And he IS the type of guy that could mentor a young WR. We certainly don't have anybody on the roster now that fits that bill.

Yeah, I'd be more concerned with signing a guy like Hakeem Nicks, who would command money but be a horrible injury risk.

You can sign Avant, draft Beckham, and still go into the year with:

Bowe
Beckham (Lee/Matthews)
Avery
Avant
Jenkins/Hemmingway

BossChief
03-11-2014, 12:17 PM

Most likely, yes....but you never know.

This first round is LOADED and there are gonna be guys that fall because of teams drafting for need.

Another factor that could lead to a guy like Watkins dropping is the depth of this receiver class. Some teams might pass on a guy like Watkins early and opt to take a player from a position group that isn't as deep.

I'll tell you right now, I'd take Eric Ebron over him because I can get a difference making receiver in the third or fourth round...can't say that about a tight end.

htismaqe
03-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Most likely, yes....but you never know.

This first round is LOADED and there are gonna be guys that fall because of teams drafting for need.

Another factor that could lead to a guy like Watkins dropping is the depth of this receiver class. Some teams might pass on a guy like Watkins early and opt to take a player from a position group that isn't as deep.

I'll tell you right now, I'd take Eric Ebron over him because I can get a difference making receiver in the third or fourth round...can't say that about a tight end.

All true.

BossChief
03-11-2014, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't sign Avant unless its a min deal.

This is a crazy crop of receiver in FA and the draft offers possibly the best receiver group ever.

htismaqe
03-11-2014, 12:21 PM

This is a crazy crop of receiver in FA and the draft offers possibly the best receiver group ever.

He's not going to get anything other than vet min at this point.

If you're taking a WR early, Avant is the kind of guy you want mentoring him.

Do you want Bowe to be your position leader in the locker room? :D

The Franchise
03-11-2014, 12:22 PM

I seriously doubt that they would be signing Avant and moving him to the #2 spot.

BossChief
03-11-2014, 12:24 PM
I'd take him on a 1 year vet min deal. That's it. He shouldn't be any better than our 4th or 5th best receiver, but he does offer short term value to the team.

Draft a couple receivers in rounds 3-6 where there are gonna be some extremely good bargains.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Jason Avant - WR - Free Agent
The Patriots have shown interest in free agent Jason Avant.
The Chiefs have also been linked to Avant. Turning 31 in April, Avant has always lacked playmaking ability despite sure hands and plus character. No matter Avant's free agency destination, he will be an underwhelming addition.
Related: Patriots

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-12-2014, 05:51 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>One other Patriots visit to report -- As <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates">@FieldYates</a> said, ex-Eagles WR Jason Avant was at Gillette Stadium recently.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/443896755776917504">March 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

temper11
03-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Anyone know what is happening with Kyle Williams? Are we trying to deal him? Resign him? Can we even deal him with the injury - doubtful. Is he expected to be ready to play in 2014? I've heard nothing about him. Anyone have any status?

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Anyone know what is happening with Kyle Williams? Are we trying to deal him? Resign him? Can we even deal him with the injury - doubtful. Is he expected to be ready to play in 2014? I've heard nothing about him. Anyone have any status?

There was a Tweet a couple of days ago about a few teams being interested in him...

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-25-2014, 01:59 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Chiefs&amp;src=hash">#Chiefs</a> coach Andy Reid said there was nothing there in regards to his having any interest in signing former <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Eagles&amp;src=hash">#Eagles</a> WR Jason Avant.</p>&mdash; Jeff McLane (@Jeff_McLane) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/statuses/448548284031049728">March 25, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Reid said him and Avant did speak and hinted they could work together in some fashion down the road.</p>&mdash; Jeff McLane (@Jeff_McLane) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/statuses/448548447583735808">March 25, 2014</a></blockquote>

Bowser
03-25-2014, 02:00 PM
http://theoverlookedonlookers.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/nashville-deacon-whew-o.gif

thabear04
03-25-2014, 02:15 PM

I know he is a free agent.

MotherfuckerJones
03-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Phew! No bobby wade part 2

saphojunkie
03-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Look for Avant to be a receivers coach some time in the next few years.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-25-2014, 05:08 PM

35 ppg 2nd half

htismaqe
03-25-2014, 05:37 PM
35 ppg 2nd half

The article didn't say anything about the 2nd half...

Pasta Little Brioni
03-25-2014, 05:39 PM
The article didn't say anything about the 2nd half...

True, but by season' s end they were potent on offense. .....shit D though and that is sad.

Easy 6
03-25-2014, 05:55 PM
If they want him, fine... if they don't want him, fine.

IMO though, we only need two possession types in this WR corp...Bowe and player X... everyone else needs maneuverability and speed... given enough time to develop chemistry I believe Smitty can work with any style.

But he PREFERS and works best with quick cutting speedsters who can get that half second of separation IMO.

booger
03-25-2014, 07:38 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Andy-Reid-talks-Eric-Fisher-Alex-Smith-and-More/1de88472-d128-41cc-8bd1-e20ce8baaa5a

Andy Reid talks Eric Fisher, Alex Smith and More
Posted 3 hours ago

Reid Ferrin
Chiefs Insider
KCChiefs.com
Email @KCChiefs_Reid

The team's head coach covered a lot of topics at the AFC Coaches Breakfast
As the NFL Owners Meetings continue in Orlando, Florida, earlier this morning, Chiefs head coach Andy Reid met with the media, during the AFC Coaches Breakfast; below is the transcript of coach's Q & A session.

Q: How was it different coming to Kansas City versus Philadelphia?

REID: “I had two different situations. I came in as kind of an unknown in one spot, Philadelphia, but in Kansas City, the players kind of knew who I was coming in. It was two different dynamics. I think the most important thing is they sense honesty and some form of trust that you’re going to help them become the best team they can be and individually, the best players they can be.”

Q: How do you present yourself to the team?

REID: “I think you need to be yourself. Whatever presentation you take to a player, to the team – to the coaching staff first, and then the players second – but whatever you take to them, that it’s organized and that you’re confident in it.”

Q: What about the balance between rules and letting the players be themselves?

REID: “I guess there are probably parameters that you hit on before that, but for the most part, if the players are feeling too much restriction, you’re not going to get their full genius in the right place, so you have to allow them to move around a little. It’s kind of like stopping at a red light, but we know if we go, there are going to be problems. There have to be parameters or it’d be chaos, but not enough to where you squash the creativity.”

Q: How do you keep the players engaged in team meetings?

REID: “I think that’s a tough challenge. What I tell the guys is I have these little 3X5 cards and if I can’t get it on that card, they’re not going to hear it. I’m talking about meetings, so they’re not getting the same story over and over and over again before team meetings. That’s not what this is. I don’t get too worried.”

Q: What do you do in the offseason to grow?

REID: “I think you’re always growing in the business. I think that’s important so you don’t get stale. I like to read. I like to listen to people that I think have a clue professionally in life, in different businesses.”

Q: Do you still read the newspaper?

REID: “I like reading the newspaper.”

Q: Is there anyone in particular that you’ve read recently?

REID: “Have you ever read the Blanchard books, business books? I try to read business books. I try to read some spiritual books, something related to my religion and then something for pleasure (so I can) grow in different areas. (Ken) Blanchard writes a lot of the business books, simple, easy reads.”

Q: What do you think about Branden Albert?

REID: “An all-pro player, a great person. (They’re getting) somebody who’s good in the run and pass game and a good teammate.”

Q: What do you think about Akeem Jordan?

REID: “Akeem (Jordan) is a good, solid player, a phenomenal special teams player. He makes all the calls defensively and just brings a certain stability to the football team, in the locker room and on the field. (He’s a) smart kid.”

Q: What was the difference in roles for Akeem Jordan in Philadelphia and Kansas City?

REID: “He was full time for me in Kansas City, he did it a little bit and he was kind of the sixth man in Philadelphia. I trust that he can play any position and there wouldn’t be a big drop-off.”

Q: Is that due to his preparation or what?

REID: “He has good football smarts.”

Q: Do you use a printed playbook or iPads?

REID: “We do both. For the players, they’re on iPads once when they get into the season. This offseason we might be experimenting with giving them iPads for the offseason program.”

Q: How many pages are your playbooks?

REID: “Both of them are actually similar, offensively and defensively. They’re probably two inches thick, how many pages that is, I don’t know.”

Q: What did you think about the change this past season for Philadelphia and Kansas City?

REID: “I thought change would be good for both sides. I thought Chip (Kelly) would bring something in fresh, exciting for the players that were back healthy, being they had a good nucleus of guys. I thought I went into a situation in Kansas City where change could possibly be good, too, and I had a good nucleus of players. So I thought for both sides that worked out well. I feel the same way today. I’m glad both teams did well.”

Q: What is your working relationship with John Dorsey?

REID: “It’s been great. John and I had a history before, and I love his approach. He came in, and I thought he brought the whole organization together with his personality. He’s a tough guy. We all know that. But yet, he’s got this personality where he just includes everybody. Everybody is a part of it. He makes everybody feel a part.”

Q: Do you like having less on your plate now that you have Dorsey as the GM?

REID: “I love it. For where I’m at in my career, I love it. I loved doing what I did in Philly. But I just wanted to get back into coaching. I hadn’t done much of that for a few years and that’s why I got into the business. It was great to get back in and dive in and be able to be in the offensive meetings, the install meetings, call the plays and all that stuff.”

Q: How difficult is it to make free agency work long term for a team?

REID: “Listen, I’m not a huge free agency guy. I don’t think you build a team that way. I think you build it through a draft. There are so many elements that go into a player actually fitting into your program and being successful, that if you get them right when they’re peaking in that system and then you disrupt that and move them on to another system, that can be tough. So, the percentage has dropped, the success rate has dropped. I think you spot a guy here or there. Then you have the other element that it has the chance to disrupt your locker room. This guy has been with me for ten years and is making X amount and then all of the sudden you bring in a free agent who might be as good, but maybe not as good, and you’re paying him way up here and all of the sudden you have this whiff that goes on in the locker room. I think you have to be real, real careful on who you bring in and how you do it.”

Q: Do you have a sense of satisfaction looking back on how Michael Vick has changed?

REID: “I’m so happy for him. Number one, I’m happy he’s back with (Jets offensive coordinator) Marty (Mornhinweg). I think he had a great experience with Chip (Kelly), and he’s got an opportunity to finish up his career (with the Jets). He’s not getting any younger, but he still can sling that son of a gun like no other and still can move around. I think he has a passion for the game. I also think he’ll be great for the young kid (Geno Smith) at the Jets.”

Q: Is there any truth to the rumor of you bringing in WR Jason Avant?

REID: “Listen, he’s a top notch kid. When he was released, I had a chance to talk to him on a personal standpoint. Potentially down the road, but we’ll just see how it works out.”

Q: So nothing on Avant right now?

REID: “I don’t have anything on it right now. But you guys know, he’s a top notch kid.”

Q: On how important backup quarterbacks are, considering what happened in Green Bay this season.

REID: “I know Mike (McCarthy) feels it’s important. That guy is one play away from being your guy. That’s just how it is. I’ve experienced that in Philadelphia. There was a year where we went through three guys. Maybe I learned early that you better have someone. I think we were all spoiled by (Brett) Favre who never missed a game. Donovan (McNabb) stepped in with very few misses, but he did do a couple of things in there.”

Q: Do you remember your first media breakfast in 1999?

REID: “I’ve had a few crazy things happen here sitting at these tables. My first one, the year we took
Donovan (McNabb), Mike Ditka was sitting over there and said I’ll give up my whole draft for that guy’s pick right there, like a ninja. All the reporters that were around him, it was like a funnel cloud, wooom, right over to my table.”

Q: Where do you stand on the replay proposal that expands what can be reviewed?

REID: “I think there are probably pluses and minuses to everything. It’s pretty cut and dry right now on what you can do and what you can’t do. I know there was a general philosophy when replay was put in on trying to keep the subjective things out of the picture to make it as cut and dry as you possibly could. I guess it’s mushrooming out from there. I could see either way. I like keeping it tight, but that’s alright, that’s how it works.”

Q: So having more decisions would be ok?

REID: “Well, there’s a plus and a minus to it. There would have to be a change in the procedure. You could say everything’s challengeable. That’s OK. That’s pretty easy. But it opens up quite a little bit of subjectivity in there.”

Q: What was it like coaching DeSean Jackson?

REID: “I have nothing but positive things to say about him, really any of the guys on that team.”

Q: On coaching Michael Vick and DeSean Jackson.

REID: “I love both of those guys. Both of them were great for me when I was there.”

Q: What did you see Vick do as far as personal growth?

REID: “Michael worked hard. He made that a point coming out. He wanted to handle the game differently than he did prior to being incarcerated. To me, he just had a completely different approach to the game and that was a pleasure to deal with.”

Q: How did Vick do that?

REID: “He worked. He got in early. He had a couple of things he had to overcome. He was out of football shape when we first got him. He had to drop 15 pounds or something. At the same time, he had to learn this offense, and he just dedicated himself to that. He didn’t have a lot of distractions. There was nobody tugging on him. Expectations were down here as opposed to up here.”

Q: What about working with different types of players?

REID: “We work with all kinds of people and as coaches; we’re all kinds of people. We’re just a microcosm of life. Shrink down life and that’s your locker room, that’s what it is in a little smaller version. It’s all of the same issues, challenges, relationships, all of those things. They’re all the same.”

Q: What about working with defense and offense and the coordinators?

REID: “I think from a player’s standpoint, it’s important that they know that you care about that defensive side if you’re an offensive guy and vice versa and inevitably, you are responsible for that as the head football coach. With (Eagles defensive coordinator) Jim (Johnson) and Bob (Sutton) and the other offensive coordinators that I’ve had, is I want to know what you’re doing. If I have something I’ll throw it at you. I’m still going to let you do your job, which I think is important, but there are certain kind of guidelines that I’d like to have and then go roll. Let your personality get into it and have at it.”

Q: Is it easier finding 3-4 outside linebackers than 4-3 defensive ends?

REID: “I think it’s hard to find pass rushers period. I don’t think those guys are easy to find. The one transition that I think is an important one in the 3-4, is those outside linebackers get to practice dropping. When you go into a nickel, you’re right back into a four-man front. It gives that defensive coordinator flexibility. So as you transition from the 3-4 to the nickel, those guys know that if you want to run a fire-zone, they know exactly where to go and how to cover. They’ve worked those drills during the week and it gives you a little more flexibility.”

Q: What did you learn from Alex Smith?

REID: “I don’t think you know a player until you have him. You do all your homework. But until you get
him there, you don’t realize. You’ve heard he’s a great leader, but until you get him and work with him, you don’t know that. You’ve heard about his strengths and weaknesses as a player, but until you get him and he’s doing your stuff, I don’t think you figure that out completely. I loved his accuracy. I love his want-to to be great. I love the way he took things over and challenged everybody around him and not in a boisterous manner but just by leading by example and teaching on the field. I appreciated his whole game. His approach to the game raised the whole team. He’s a gym rat. You’ve got to kick him out of the building. I was almost on secret double probation his first week in the building because he wanted to stay there forever and I’d have to kick him out. I said, ‘You gotta go.’ That’s how he approaches the game.”

Q: Did Jamaal Charles surprise you at all?

REID: “I had talked to Charlie Weis before I took the job and Charlie had been there and kind of used Jamaal (Charles) in different spots. He still surprised me that he could catch that ball. He’s like the wide receiver out there, running routes, all of those things. He just does it so easy.”

Q: How does he get better from last year?

REID: “I saw progress all the way through the season, whether it was just subtleties in the run game and the blocking schemes and that to the route running. We were able to kind of expand his package as we went. I just think that will continue on.”

Q: How do you work Knile Davis into the mix?

REID: “I think Knile (Davis) is a big part of it and he ended up being a big part of it. I was able to actually give Jamaal (Charles) a blow because of Knile’s progress. I thought Knile picked it up quite a bit, too. (He’s a) big strong kid too.

Q: On DeSean Jackson.

REID: “I have nothing but good things to say about the kid. I did draft him. I had a great relationship with him, when his father passed away, that was a hard thing for him to go through at a young age. They were best friends. I’ve experienced life things with him, so I would tell you he was great for me when I was there.”

Q: Do you find it hard to believe given what you know about him and seeing what he did in that offense last year that they would be looking to trade him?

REID: “I don’t know what’s real and what’s not real. I haven’t looked into it either way. I’ve stayed away; I don’t really care about that, so I don’t know what’s real and what’s not real. I’m happy that he had a great year. I’m happy that Chip (Kelly) had a great year with him and that’s where it stops for me.”

Q: Do you see an Alex Smith contract before this season?

REID: “We’ll see how that goes. I’m out of that business right now, but (John) Dorsey will probably comment better for you.”

Q: What improvement did you see in Alex Smith?

REID: “I think he just got more comfortable with the offense and the people around him. That takes a little bit of time, and I think after the bye week, after nine games, it started kind of taking off for him and the rest of the guys around him. I think that everybody had a better feel. We knew as coaches kind of what the guys did well.”

Q: Do you think he fit as well in the system as you thought he would?

REID: “Yeah I think he did. I got to see him—we played him a bunch in Philadelphia— so I got to see his maturation process. Then I saw him go through the different coaches. He got with (Jim Harbaugh) and it just took off for him. Our offense is similar in a lot of ways with the things we ask him to do, so I felt like he could jump in. (I knew) if we gave him a little bit of time to get his feet wet he’d be fine.”

Q: Is it hard to get a team to bounce back mentally after blowing such a big lead in a playoff loss?

REID: “I think it’s a great lesson to learn, and something that will help us in the future this coming season. We were a young team, second youngest in the league or somewhere in there. You live and learn. You can’t take your foot off the accelerator against any team in this league let alone a good football team like Indy, and win the game. You learn from it and move on.”

Q: Where is Eric Fisher going this season?

REID: “Right now I think I’m going to move him to the left side. That’s where he played in college, although Donald Stephenson played there for me and I know he can do that too, but I think I’m going to start off with Eric at left and keep Donald at right and then we roll.”

Q: How do you change as a coach?

REID: “You kind of have your base fundamentals that you believe in, but there’s always change. You have to maintain some flexibility and that’s all part of life. I’m growing older and the players are growing younger. Isn’t that how it works? But you keep it open, you keep it real. Be honest. Those kinds of things don’t change.”

Q: What do you need to work on to get better next season?

REID: “We need to keep growing. We need a good influx of some more players, that’s just how it works. We have to do a better job of coaching to take it to that next level. (We need to) continue to challenge and teach. Those are important things. I thought we were headed in the right direction as the season (went on) kind of after the bye week. Those are kind of the primary things.”

BossChief
03-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Translation...

We want someone better, but if we can't find someone better, we will sign Avant.

Easy 6
03-25-2014, 11:57 PM
In truth, that's by far the most honest (as can be) and candid (as can be) interview with an NFL head coach as I've ever seen... is it really any wonder why players love him?

He did his level best to give real answers here without giving away the farm... I HAVE my nits to pick with this guy, don't doubt me for a second.

But its true that he sounds as comfortable and forthcoming as any HC I've read about since forever... no doubt he learned some harsh lessons in Philly, I do expect he'll grow and learn from them. That doesn't stop me from deeply worrying, but when the Kool Aid man comes slamming into my living room with real talk, I still want to listen.

The Franchise
04-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Terez A. Paylor ‏@TerezPaylor 31m

The Panthers announce they have signed Jason Avant.

MotherfuckerJones
04-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Thank god