PDA

View Full Version : Misc Why do yankees love Dunkin' Donuts?

greatgooglymoogly
03-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Earlier, I read a blog post by a Massachusetts minister complaining that there were no Dunkin' Donuts in Springfield. Now, I've never been to one, so I want to know why so many folks from the northeast love this franchise? Is it like Whataburger in Texas? :shrug:

BlackHelicopters
03-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Time to make the donuts

Discuss Thrower
03-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Earlier, I read a blog post by a Massachusetts minister complaining that there were no Dunkin' Donuts in Springfield. Now, I've never been to one, so I want to know why so many folks from the northeast love this franchise? Is it like Whataburger in Texas? :shrug:

Probably coffee moreso than the pastries.

BlackHelicopters
03-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Springfield Massachusetts?

greatgooglymoogly
03-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Springfield Massachusetts?

He specified Missouri, and even mentioned a prior location in Branson. I assume Springfield, MA has an abundance of Dunkin'.

mr. tegu
03-10-2014, 04:20 PM
There is plenty of Dunkin Donuts locations in Kansas City.

greatgooglymoogly
03-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Probably coffee moreso than the pastries.

Is their coffee that great? What sets them apart from a Starbucks or similar businesses?

mnchiefsguy
03-10-2014, 04:23 PM
There is plenty of Dunkin Donuts locations in Kansas City.

They just opened one in Raytown off of 350. Good donuts...although I have to admit I like Krispy Kreme better.

Mojo Jojo
03-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Because it is the regional franchise you are use to. Krispy Kreme in the southeast along with Chic Fil A in the southeast (never understood the popularity of that place).

Pasta Little Brioni
03-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Is their coffee that great? What sets them apart from a Starbucks or similar businesses?

Hype

greatgooglymoogly
03-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Because it is the regional franchise you are use to. Krispy Kreme in the southeast along with Chic Fil A in the southeast (never understood the popularity of that place).

Speaking of, Krispy Kreme failed in Springfield. We're not a coffee and doughnuts town. I just buy grounds at the supermarket and brew at home, and I can't remember the last time I had a doughnut. The people I know just swing by McDonalds or Starbucks for their morning cup.

Al Bundy
03-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Dunkin Donuts is far better than Krispy Kreme, even though they discontinued my favorite donut.

Eleazar
03-10-2014, 04:27 PM
It's an institution. Ask a Canadian about Tim Horton's or people in the Upper Midwest about Caribou or Dunn Brothers. In the south it's Krispy Kreme but I don't know what's wrong with people who prefer Krispy Kreme.

bigjosh
03-10-2014, 04:28 PM
I live in Rhode Island and dunkin donuts is pretty much the go to coffee place around here. There are Starbucks around here but the people that go there around here are the snobby vegetarian look down at you types. Not to mention dunkin is a better taste and over a dollar cheaper per coffee.

greatgooglymoogly
03-10-2014, 04:31 PM
I live in Rhode Island and dunkin donuts is pretty much the go to coffee place around here. There are Starbucks around here but the people that go there around here are the snobby vegetarian look down at you types. Not to mention dunkin is a better taste and over a dollar cheaper per coffee.

Oh, this is interesting. You're saying that Dunkin' is the preferred coffee of the average Joe? Class warfare via coffee shops, you can't make this up...

Eleazar
03-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Starbucks is different, you go there if you want any of the various fancier drinks that they offer, or to sit down and read or work on your computer or relax or whatever.

DD is where you go on your way to work when you just want some good regular brewed coffee to go, maybe some donuts to take to work or to your kids, etc. They make breakfast sandwiches and such there too, but I'm only ever after the coffee.

They are two different coffee places that serve two different functions.

Valiant
03-10-2014, 04:33 PM

They are garbage compared Lamars. Yorkers are ignorant pricks, well most of them.

I also dislike Krispy Kremes. Rays donuts is also a good place, but they use Lamars recipe, so I could be biased.

greatgooglymoogly
03-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Starbucks is different, you go there if you want any of the various fancier drinks that they offer, or to sit down and read or work on your computer or relax or whatever.

DD is where you go on your way to work when you just want some good regular brewed coffee to go, maybe some donuts to take to work or to your kids, etc. They make breakfast sandwiches and such there too, but I'm only ever after the coffee.

That does make sense. I guess this is why no one will buy the franchise rights in southwest MO - McDonalds already claimed the latter consumer category with McCafe, and there isn't a large migrant population from the northeast to lean on while they try to make inroads to the native hillbilly.

Bwana
03-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Hype

Yep same with their donuts, no big deal on either of them.

bigjosh
03-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Oh, this is interesting. You're saying that Dunkin' is the preferred coffee of the average Joe? Class warfare via coffee shops, you can't make this up...

Not joking, the Starbucks are all placed in more upper class areas throughout the state. Dunkin donuts is on literally every main road, every mile or two. Starbucks, when put in more modest locations in Rhode Island, have failed and since been closed. It's not class warfare. It's economics. Who is going to pay 3.75 for a medium ice coffee when you can buy a large one for 2.68 at the next plaza.

greatgooglymoogly
03-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Not joking, the Starbucks are all placed in more upper class areas throughout the state. Dunkin donuts is on literally every main road, every mile or two. Starbucks, when put in more modest locations in Rhode Island, have failed and since been closed. It's not class warfare. It's economics. Who is going to pay 3.75 for a medium ice coffee when you can buy a large one for 2.68 at the next plaza.

Like I said, I can't really think of a comparable place to Dunkin' in the Ozarks. McCafe would be the closest. Also, I don't know a single person who drinks or likes iced coffee, but that's a different discussion.

bigjosh
03-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Like I said, I can't really think of a comparable place to Dunkin' in the Ozarks. McCafe would be the closest. Also, I don't know a single person who drinks or likes iced coffee, but that's a different discussion.

See that's way different here. Iced coffee probably represents about 60 percent of the business up here.

greatgooglymoogly
03-10-2014, 04:58 PM
See that's way different here. Iced coffee probably represents about 60 percent of the business up here.

That's shocking. I guess it'll find its way to us by 2020.

Predarat
03-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Damn I really like Krispy Kremes, especially when fresh.

saphojunkie
03-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Just to clear this up, East Coasters (it isn't just New York) love Dunkin Donuts for the COFFEE, not the donuts.

bigjosh
03-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Just to clear this up, East Coasters (it isn't just New York) love Dunkin Donuts for the COFFEE, not the donuts.

Very very true. I should have specified.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Can't beat a cake donut done right. Few do, nobody cares about 'em.

Mojo Jojo
03-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Iced coffee is a must in warm to hot weather.

Sannyasi
03-10-2014, 06:01 PM

That's right, I don't need any fancy cappecino or flappecino. I just get my container of coffee and get down to the job site. But what I do I know, I'm just a working stiff. Let the big muckety mucks work it out.

listopencil
03-10-2014, 06:07 PM
When I lived in Virginia it was very popular. My mother worked at a Dunkin Donuts when I was very young. She used to bring them home every night because they'd just be thrown out otherwise.

listopencil
03-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Iced coffee is a must in warm to hot weather.

I enjoy iced coffee.

bigjosh
03-10-2014, 06:10 PM
When I lived in Virginia it was very popular. My mother worked at a Dunkin Donuts when I was very young. She used to bring them home every night because they'd just be thrown out otherwise.

The used to donate leftover donuts to the homeless shelter here, then one of them sued for having an allergic reaction so the trash them now.

It only takes one asshole to fuck it up for everyone else

TheUte
03-10-2014, 06:12 PM
DD coffee is awesome blow SB away.

listopencil
03-10-2014, 06:18 PM
The used to donate leftover donuts to the homeless shelter here, then one of them sued for having an allergic reaction so the trash them now.

It only takes one asshole to **** it up for everyone else

Yup. Oh, I should mention, I'm the youngest of five children. So at first I had to jostle elbows to get some of those donuts. After a few weeks my siblings started dropping out of the mix one by one. Maybe two months into this I was the only one still eating the donuts every time she brought them home. I finally stopped after several months and I just couldn't stand them any more. Because of this I couldn't stand sweet bread of any kind until I was in my late twenties. If I smelled cookies, or cake or (barf) donuts I would get sick to my stomach. I remember having to switch to the other side of the mall to avoid walking by a Mrs. Fields cookie shop.

03-10-2014, 06:19 PM
I like quick check and or wawa coffee. its better and much cheaper

listopencil
03-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Also, I was in the Navy. I will drink any coffee. I don't care how old it is. I don't care what brand it is. I appreciate the various levels of quality, and I can tell the difference, but I will drink the horrible shit anyway if that's all that I can get.

Simply Red
03-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Also, I was in the Navy. I will drink any coffee. I don't care how old it is. I don't care what brand it is. I appreciate the various levels of quality, and I can tell the difference, but I will drink the horrible shit anyway if that's all that I can get.

believe it or not - I echo this - excluding the I was in the Navy part, I think everybody knows that though - heck I can't even go camping.

DaFace
03-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Funny timing. A guy who is transferring to my office from NYC was visiting with his parents yesterday (checking out houses). His parents specifically mentioned seeing the Dunkin' Donuts near my house when they were checking out areas. Apparently that's a vital feature. ROFL

listopencil
03-10-2014, 06:35 PM
believe it or not - I echo this - excluding the I was in the Navy part, I think everybody knows that though - heck I can't even go camping.

It was almost a point of pride that the carafe was never empty on the bridge while underway. When it would get low, more coffee would be made and added to the carafe. The longer you were underway the older and stronger the coffee got. We had carafes that lasted over 90 days twice that I recall off the top of my head.

Simply Red
03-10-2014, 06:36 PM
It was almost a point of pride that the carafe was never empty on the bridge while underway. When it would get low, more coffee would be made and added to the carafe. The longer you were underway the older and stronger the coffee got. We had carafes that lasted over 90 days twice that I recall off the top of my head.

good n ripe by then :clap:

Simply Red
03-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Funny timing. A guy who is transferring to my office from NYC was visiting with his parents yesterday (checking out houses). His parents specifically mentioned seeing the Dunkin' Donuts near my house when they were checking out areas. Apparently that's a vital feature. ROFL

Their donuts are actually below average in taste IMO.

DaFace
03-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Their donuts are actually below average in taste IMO.

Yeah, I agree. I'm a bit spoiled though - the donut shop in my hometown will never be topped. If any of you find yourselves driving through Arkansas City, KS in the morning, stop by Ike's Donuts. You won't be disappointed.

listopencil
03-10-2014, 06:45 PM
good n ripe by then :clap:

Oh, man. Now I'm having flashbacks. One night the messenger of the watch (gopher) was sent to get more coffee during a pretty bad storm. As he was jogging up the ladder (stairs) to the bridge (place where important people hang out) he was passing someone and just started puking his guts out. That someone he passed was the Officer of the Deck coming off watch (guy temporarily in charge that gets to go to bed now) and he grabbed the coffee out of the guy's hand so it wouldn't spill and yelled, "You almost spilled the coffee, you stupid fuck, now clean up this puke!" Fun times. The officer then brought the coffee back up the steps. Because the only important part of that story was the coffee.

unlurking
03-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I agree. I'm a bit spoiled though - the donut shop in my hometown will never be topped. If any of you find yourselves driving through Arkansas City, KS in the morning, stop by Ike's Donuts. You won't be disappointed.

Checked out Voodoo yet? Drove by there over the weekend and the line was about half a block long.

DaFace
03-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Checked out Voodoo yet? Drove by there over the weekend and the line was about half a block long.

Haven't been there yet because of the aforementioned lines. Perhaps once things settle down a bit, I'll make the trip.

Simply Red
03-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Flavor-Made in Blue Spings next to House of Hooch had some nice morsels WAYY back in the day.

Simply Red
03-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Oh, man. Now I'm having flashbacks. One night the messenger of the watch (gopher) was sent to get more coffee during a pretty bad storm. As he was jogging up the ladder (stairs) to the bridge (place where important people hang out) he was passing someone and just started puking his guts out. That someone he passed was the Officer of the Deck coming off watch (guy temporarily in charge that gets to go to bed now) and he grabbed the coffee out of the guy's hand so it wouldn't spill and yelled, "You almost spilled the coffee, you stupid ****, now clean up this puke!" Fun times. The officer then brought the coffee back up the steps. Because the only important part of that story was the coffee.

Coffee is super important.

Sannyasi
03-10-2014, 07:49 PM
My girl little debbie brings the chocolate icing like you wouldn't believe.

Eleazar
03-10-2014, 08:37 PM
I don't know a single person who drinks or likes iced coffee

Women.

aturnis
03-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Everything is shit. The coffee is their claim to game though.

aturnis
03-10-2014, 08:55 PM

The chicken is giving delicious that's why. It's the hate that is hard to choke down. I longer eat there. Mac Lethal gave me their recipe anyways.

MOhillbilly
03-10-2014, 09:13 PM

Wasn't in the navy but I did drink atleast a pint of Evan Williams everyday for the better part of a decade.
When you cultivate a habit like that, coffee of any type is the only thing to help get a fella to 5 o clock.

Edit- that's non narcotic anyway.

Ultra Peanut
03-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Dunkin' is a goddamn institution. You could never hope to understand!

Also they are literally everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

Just Passin' By
03-10-2014, 11:05 PM
Coffee
doughnuts
muffins
sandwiches
occasionally paired with Baskin-Robbins for ice cream

It's not quite something for everyone, but it makes for a good place to stop and grab something you like.

Ultra Peanut
03-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Word. One cannot overstate the importance of selling breakfast sandwiches 24/7.

Rausch
03-11-2014, 12:25 AM
Dunkin' is a goddamn institution. You could never hope to understand!

Also they are literally everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

The one here was balls out fucking awesome when I was in my 20's.

A guy named Ecton (fucking ECTON! Who really names their kid that!?!?!) ran it overnight and he'd hook me up. He'd start the new batch up at 3am and depending on when I got there he'd give me some free day old or tell me to wait a few minutes for the fresh.

He was an institution.

Free source of strange information only a job like that would give. He knew all the cops, all the newspaper/advertisement mag guys, and oddly enough a fellow pretty high up in a local bank that got me my 2nd car loan (and I had $#it credit.)

Back in the 90's a doughnut clerk helped me get a $4k loan.

Now there's a fucking subway there that won't take my $20 without marking the bill first...

kcxiv
03-11-2014, 12:26 AM
fuck dunkin, we got a little familyoperated one called Rollen's doughnuts thats been around for years. Rollen finally died a few years back, but the family kept it up! Thats my spot when im feeling like a maple bar

blaise
03-11-2014, 05:52 AM
The problem with Dunkin Donuts outside of the north east is that the quality can vary quite a bit by location. You go in one and it's run great and the store is clean. Then another one will be a dump, they'll be out of 75% of their donuts and the employees don't know what they're doing.

houstonwhodat
03-11-2014, 06:03 AM
Cuz dey be good.

Tytanium
03-11-2014, 07:16 AM

I'm not a huge coffee person, but Starbucks is honestly the worst coffee I've ever had at a coffee shop. I'm not sure how it got so popular. Einstein Bros is much better, just not as widespread.

Amnorix
03-11-2014, 07:35 AM

Cheaper and the coffee doesn't suck. The Starbucks coffee is too strong/bitter for me, generally. Coffee rules here in New England, not Starbucks.

blaise
03-11-2014, 07:38 AM
I prefer Starbucks coffee over DD, but I put a lot of milk in my coffee. I don't know that I could drink Starbucks black.
DD has better iced coffee, though. I really like their iced coffee.

htismaqe
03-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Real coffee shop > Starbucks > Dunkin Donuts > everywhere else

I like extremely strong coffee, especially espresso. I very rarely go to any of these places anymore though since I got a Nespresso.