mdchiefsfan
03-11-2014, 07:28 PM
On mobile, just popped up from NFL App.

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Fack the Saints.

mdchiefsfan
03-11-2014, 07:30 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333219/article/jairus-byrd-new-orleans-saints-agree-on-sixyear-contract?akmobile=ios&akcarrier=verizon

chiefforlife
They only had two million in cap space, how the heck did they do that?

Reerun_KC
Nice pick up.

Titty Meat
Impossible CP said the Chiefs couldn't sign him because of money but he signs with another team that has less money.

BossChief
03-11-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm crying inside.

MotherfuckerJones
03-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Oh but we have no space! And they need to sign jimmy graham. Ya bullshit

O.city
03-11-2014, 07:32 PM
6 year deal

wink91wink
I'm beginning to ponder our front office's motives

Titty Meat

Transition period dude.

BossChief
03-11-2014, 07:33 PM

You don't have to be under the cap right now....I forget the deadline of when you have to be under the cap, but right now you can spend what you want.

chiefs1111
Buccaneers agree to terms with Alterraun Verner

TribalElder
they were asleep after the afternoon bar-b-que session at andy's

Mugsy
I am glad we didn't get Byrd. I want Berry to be a Chief forever and we weren't going to have $15 to $20 million locked up in the safety position.

saphojunkie
03-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Bye bye sproles (3.5 mil cap number) and pierre thomas (2.9 mil cap number - no dead money)

Reerun_KC
38-10. ALL you need to know about this franchise.

BossChief

Why?

We don't even know the price tag yet.

O.city
Why in earth would you trade for Sproles now? He's for sure to be cut

The Bad Guy
03-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Cap space is myth. If you want to spend on players, you can, regardless of what your cap situation is.

Al Bundy
03-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Buccaneers agree to terms with Alterraun Verner

Best Cover 2 type corner. Ohhh and fuck the Saints.

Cephalic Trauma
Why in earth would you trade for Sproles now? He's for sure to be cut

Avoid giving a 30 yr old back a multi-year deal.

BossChief
I am glad we didn't get Byrd. I want Berry to be a Chief forever and we weren't going to have $15 to $20 million locked up in the safety position.

Oh, shut up Blackbob.

This team needs to build to beat Peyton Manning and you do that by having good back end coverage and taking the ball away in coverage.

wink91wink
03-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Why?

We don't even know the price tag yet.

Not this move in general, just how the entire day is unfolding. I understand not resigning Tyson, BA, and McCluster, but letting Schwartz and Asamoah go has me :hmmm:

The Franchise
03-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Cap space is myth. If you want to spend on players, you can, regardless of what your cap situation is.

This.

BossChief
03-11-2014, 07:39 PM

This. Especially when you have a lot of high dollar base salaries on your roster and the cap is about to explode.

We could have 150 million in cap spending right now and fairly easily get under the cap by making 3 moves.

There is ALWAYS a way.

Mugsy
03-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Oh, shut up Blackbob.

This team needs to build to beat Peyton Manning and you do that by having good back end coverage and taking the ball away in coverage.

The Seahawks whipped his ass with defensive linemen who could knock down passes at the line of scrimmage. They took away the short passing game. That's what we need to work on. You can have all the cover guys in the world but the refs aren't going to call those chip blocks when Peyton is on the field.

We spent a ton of money last season. We were one of the top spenders. Put your patience hat on. Teams always over pay on the first day.

The Bad Guy
03-11-2014, 07:40 PM
This. Especially when you have a lot of high dollar base salaries on your roster and the cap is about to explode.

We could have 150 million in cap spending right now and fairly easily get under the cap by making 3 moves.

There is ALWAYS a way.

Absolutely. I hate when I read about how Dorsey is cap strapped. He knew the dollars he was spending last year and he knew the likely crop to be available this year.

He didn't want to invest in the high end talent. Can argue the rights and wrongs of it, but if he wanted to get players out of this crop, he had ways to do it.

The Franchise
03-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Absolutely. I hate when I read about how Dorsey is cap strapped. He knew the dollars he was spending last year and he knew the likely crop to be available this year.

He didn't want to invest in the high end talent. Can argue the rights and wrongs of it, but if he wanted to get players out of this crop, he had ways to do it.

And that's what pisses me off.

O.city
03-11-2014, 07:41 PM
It's looking more and more like that big spending "splurge" last year in fa was a pr spin to win as much as they could to get fans back

Mr. Laz
03-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Oh but we have no space! And they need to sign jimmy graham. Ya bullshit
yep, a team can get cap room whenever they want in the short term. It's whether you are ready to make a push or not. Whether your owner is willing to make a push.

Apparently Dorsey/Reid/Hunt don't want to make a push yet.

Mr. Laz
03-11-2014, 07:42 PM
It's looking more and more like that big spending "splurge" last year in fa was a pr spin to win as much as they could to get fans back
:sulk:

O.city
03-11-2014, 07:43 PM
:sulk:

What deal from last years offseason looks good now?

mdchiefsfan
I'm beginning to think we are going to try our damnedest to trade out of the first round.

BossChief
Not this move in general, just how the entire day is unfolding. I understand not resigning Tyson, BA, and McCluster, but letting Schwartz and Asamoah go has me :hmmm:

Just chill.

None of those guys are worth what they got outside of maybe Albert and even that deal has question marks due to injuries. No way I'd give Asamoah 4.5 per year...Tyson Jackson at 5/yr? No. McCluster at 4/yr lol. I'm sure Schwartz got way more than he's worth, too.

Give Dorsey credit, he is in touch with who each of these guys are and what they bring and showed last year that he has a knack of finding FA bargains to fill roles without overspending.

WakkaWakka
03-11-2014, 07:44 PM

The Chiefs way.

Easy 6
Yawwwn, oh wait a minute... :ZZZ:

If you expected this guy, that's on you...

Mugsy
We are 4 hours and 43 minutes into this and we won eleven games last year. Now Dorsey sucks?

The sky is falling!!!! LOL

Chiefnj2
03-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Just chill.

None of those guys are worth what they got outside of maybe Albert and even that deal has question marks due to injuries. No way I'd give Asamoah 4.5 per year...Tyson Jackson at 5/yr? No. McCluster at 4/yr lol. I'm sure Schwartz got way more than he's worth, too.

Give Dorsey credit, he is in touch with who each of these guys are and what they bring and showed last year that he has a knack of finding FA bargains to fill roles without overspending.

You have no idea how those contracts actually break down and the cap hit for each year.

-King-
03-11-2014, 07:46 PM

We had a big spending splurge last year?

BossChief
03-11-2014, 07:47 PM
The Seahawks whipped his ass with defensive linemen who could knock down passes at the line of scrimmage. They took away the short passing game. That's what we need to work on. You can have all the cover guys in the world but the refs aren't going to call those chip blocks when Peyton is on the field.

We spent a ton of money last season. We were one of the top spenders. Put your patience hat on. Teams always over pay on the first day.

Dumbass.

They were able to do that because they have great safety play.

When you know the opposing team isn't gonna be trying to throw deep, you can prepare your DL to get their hands up to knock down the short passes and for your corners to jump the short routes.

If we had added Byrd, we could have mimicked that approach.

mcaj22
03-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Dumbass.

When you know the opposing team isn't gonna be trying to throw deep, you can prepare your DL to get their hands up to knock down the short passes and for your corners to jump the short routes.

or we can hit on our 5th round Safety like the Seahawks did with their SS.

...or their 7th round LBer that was Super Bowl MVP

or their undrafted DT.

or their two 5th round CBs.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
March and April are ratings sweep time. Stupid n00bs

TambaBerry
How fucking much did he sign for if its under 8 ill be pissed

Mugsy
03-11-2014, 07:49 PM

In a nutshell, we were NEVER going to add Byrd. It was really unrealistic to EVER think that was going to happen. I'm sorry you are depressed.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-11-2014, 07:51 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Saints are giving former Bills S Jairus Byrd a six-year, $54 million contract, including $28 million guaranteed, per source.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/443564616140849152">March 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

O.city
03-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Damn

wink91wink
03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Just chill.

Well at this point, we have no cap room and just let 3/5 of our O-line walk. I really hope he can fill this without overspending, but he has a lot less room to work with this year.

RippedmyFlesh

Last year it was about churning the bottom of the roster. We didn't break the bank on free agents last year really when we had more room. I agree they just don't want to spend big in fa. GB doesn't and it seems like philly got burned bad when they did recently.
I think they will get pieces but not stars in fa. Until they reach the point where 1 more player puts you over the top.At that point I want to believe they will pull the trigger.

keg in kc
There was no way byrd was ever coming to KC. There's no way they could ever afford two contracts of that size at safety.

Mugsy
If we had signed him, we'd be paying our safeties $19 million this year. No team would do that. It was never going to happen fellas.

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 07:53 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Saints are giving former Bills S Jairus Byrd a six-year, $54 million contract, including $28 million guaranteed, per source.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/443564616140849152">March 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

Yeeaaaaaa . . . . no. :shake:

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-11-2014, 07:53 PM
If we had signed him, we'd be paying our safeties $19 million this year. No team would do that. It was never going to happen fellas.

Seahawks will when they lock up Earl.

wink91wink
03-11-2014, 07:55 PM

So much for Bill Pollian saying he should get in the 6 million dollar a year range :clap::clap:

Deberg_1990
03-11-2014, 07:55 PM
No worries,

Commings is ready to rape souls.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CRAItrkzwDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

The Franchise
03-11-2014, 07:56 PM

Fuck. That.

Mr. Laz
03-11-2014, 07:56 PM
There was no way byrd was ever coming to KC. There's no way they could ever afford two contracts of that size at safety.
of course they COULD ... they just never WOULD

too much for the safety position

Romeo screwed the pooch in a big way by putting a top 5 safety in the box.

keg in kc
03-11-2014, 07:57 PM
of course they COULD ... they just never WOULD

too much for the safety position

Romeo screwed the pooch in a big way by putting a top 5 safety in the box.Yeah, I considered making it 'would', but either way, the point stands.

BossChief
03-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Or that they are trying to lock up Houston AND Alex Smith long term and don't want to go spending elsewhere before locking up our own guys first, then do our best to bargain shop again with anything left over.

That's a short sighted view.

If we had 3 good safeties, this defense would be an elite unit and would really give Peyton a run for his money.

Go back and watch the first Denver game (when Houston and Hali were healthy) and try to imagine that defense with Byrd.

What's done is done and 9/yr is a HUGE paycheck, but in today's NFL (where guys that aren't nearly as good are getting 7-8 per year) that's a bargain.

Guys that play a role in 38 turnovers in less than 5 years are worth their weight in gold.

keg in kc
03-11-2014, 08:03 PM
That's a short sighted view.The only thing more short sighted would be dedicating that much of your cap to safety.

Mugsy
03-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Seahawks will when they lock up Earl.

Not with Russell Wilson's contract coming up. Have they even paid Chancellor yet? They probably won't be able to keep him, Thomas and Wilson.

BossChief
03-11-2014, 08:07 PM
The only thing more short sighted would be dedicating that much of your cap to safety.

In a division with an aging Peyton Manning?

I completely disagree.

IMO every single move we make needs to be aimed at beating Manning.

There's a reason they moved so quickly to sign TJ ward...they didnt want him to have a chance at making it to KC and rightfully so.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Not with Russell Wilson's contract coming up. Have they even paid Chancellor yet? They probably won't be able to keep him, Thomas and Wilson.

5 years 28m

Mr. Laz
03-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Or that they are trying to lock up Houston AND Alex Smith long term and don't want to go spending elsewhere before locking up our own guys first, then do our best to bargain shop again with anything left over.Houston doesn't need to be locked up yet and they should have a decent idea what it's going to take for Alex Smith if not both players.

no excuses

they are choosing not to spend and if it costs us winning then the clock starts ticking on them losing their jobs imo.

Iconic
03-11-2014, 08:11 PM
In a division with an aging Peyton Manning?

I completely disagree.

IMO every single move we make needs to be aimed at beating Manning.

There's a reason they moved so quickly to sign TJ ward...they didnt want him to have a chance at making it to KC and rightfully so.

Ward is going to be our worst nightmare tbh...

BossChief
03-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Houston doesn't need to be locked up yet and they should have a decent idea what it's going to take for Alex Smith if not both players.

no excuses

they are choosing not to spend and if it costs us winning then the clock starts ticking on them losing their jobs imo.

Houston gets about a million and Alex gets about 8.

Houston is gonna get around 12 and Alex is gonna get around 17.

That's a big chunk of cash that is needed to get them both locked up long term.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-11-2014, 08:16 PM
The Killer Bs didn't work out so well last time it was tried

BossChief
03-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Ward is going to be our worst nightmare tbh...

I agree.

That dude is a fucking beast and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Denver signed him.

O.city
03-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Clemons can probably be had for half the cost of Byrd.

Micjones
03-11-2014, 08:20 PM

Less than half. I'll bet they could snag Clemons for $4m per.

Iconic
03-11-2014, 08:21 PM
I agree.

That dude is a ****ing beast and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Denver signed him.

Yeah, I honestly think Dorsey had a set out plan in free agency- and that plan involved Ward. The Donkey's ****ed us hard on this one and it will cause us problems when we face them this year... Jamaal Charles? Meet the #1 Safety against the run.

Either way I think our fall back is Clemons or the draft at this point.

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 08:21 PM

Less than that. He's only had 1 team interested so far according to reports. The Jets. Miami kept him on a 1-year $2.5 mil deal. We could bring him in for as little as $3 mil if the Jets don't bid for his services.

Mugsy
03-11-2014, 08:23 PM
I like Ward but he is very suspect in coverage. That's why he's not a Brown and they paid Whitner instead. He is a nasty and does a good job setting the tone. I wish we would get a couple of guys like that.

Iconic
03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
I like Ward but he is very suspect in coverage. That's why he's not a Brown and they paid Whitner instead. He is a nasty and does a good job setting the tone. I wish we would get a couple of guys like that.

Considering there are 64 Safety's in the league and he's ranked #14 against the pass... I'd say he's pretty decent?

O.city
03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Less than that. He's only had 1 team interested so far according to reports. The Jets. Miami kept him on a 1-year $2.5 mil deal. We could bring him in for as little as $3 mil if the Jets don't bid for his services.

He's pretty solid in coverage and as a single high type player

BossChief
03-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Considering there are 64 Safety's in the league and he's ranked #14 against the pass... I'd say he's pretty decent?

That's Blackbob. What do you expect. It's not like he's watched Browns games and he loves talking out of his ass.

Bowser
03-11-2014, 08:28 PM
I was going to say that the sell job to go to New Orleans after spending a few years in Buffalo probably wasn't too terribly hard, then I saw this...

There was just absolutely no way he was going to go anywhere else. A shame, because he alone would have upgraded our defense significantly.

"Salary Cap". My ass.

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 08:30 PM
He's pretty solid in coverage and as a single high type player

Yeah, but he is also limited to that role because he isn't very good in run support. He also hasn't proven to be much of a play maker either, just a solid guy who can cover some ground and help prevent the deep play. That's why he will be pretty cheap and why we need him.

O.city
03-11-2014, 08:31 PM
That's what we need at FS

BossChief
I'd be happy with Clemons, but I think we may want to wait and draft a safety.

O.city
Jimmie ward?

Marcellus
03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Too much money for a team that already has Berry. Carry on.

Bowser
03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
I'd be happy with Clemons, but I think we may want to wait and draft a safety.

The kid from NIU?

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Jimmie ward?

If we trade back in the 1st, definitely. I don't know about at #23 though as I think there will be a few guys there whom I would rate higher than him even if I do think that he will be one hell of a player in this league.

O.city
03-11-2014, 08:33 PM
If we trade back in the 1st, definitely. I don't know about at #23 though as I think there will be a few guys there whom I would rate higher than him even if I do think that he will be one hell of a player in this league.

Bpa meets position of need

Micjones
03-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Clemons, por favor. Or Pryor/Clinton-Dix.

bowener
03-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Unrelated to Byrd, but Denver looks like they are going to get Demarcus Ware.

Bowser
03-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Unrelated to Byrd, but Denver looks like they are going to get Demarcus Ware.

Well that's no fucking good.

Mugsy
03-11-2014, 08:35 PM

Screw the stats. They paid Whitner a million more a year than Ward got from Denver because he sucked in coverage. They could have signed him a long time ago. He was drafted to be a building block and they had the money. PFF can suck my ass. ROFL

Mr. Laz
03-11-2014, 08:36 PM

If he is used to stop the run then he's not graded the same way against the pass.

just sayin'

BossChief
03-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Ward didnt want to return to Cleveland.

Who can blame him for taking less to go to a winner?

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Bpa meets position of need

Yeah, but if there's a guy that I would rate in the top 20 available and I have Byrd in my 25-30 range, I'm not going to pass on the top 20 guy for him unless I truly think that Commings has zero shot at becoming a starting caliber FS. That's when I would see Ward as the pick I would make.

Pretty much the same thing that SF did with Reid last year.

Mugsy
03-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Ward didnt want to return to Cleveland.

Who can blame him for taking less to go to a winner?

They probably could have tagged him for what they paid Whitner.

O.city
03-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Is Rafael bush available now?

Iconic
03-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Screw the stats. They paid Whitner a million more a year than Ward got from Denver because he sucked in coverage. They could have signed him a long time ago. He was drafted to be a building block and they had the money. PFF can suck my ass. ROFL

I'm not going to argue that Ward is better than Whitner, because that's just not true. However, they are very close, and your getting this all wrong. The Browns didn't leave ward; Ward left the browns. He took less money to play on a potential SB team.

Edit: and who knows, there might even be a bonus in his contract.

Mugsy
03-11-2014, 08:55 PM
I'm not going to argue that Ward is better than Whitner, because that's just not true. However, they are very close, and your getting this all wrong. The Browns didn't leave ward; Ward left the browns. He took less money to play on a potential SB team.

Edit: and who knows, there might even be a bonus in his contract.

If he meant that much to them, they would have tagged him. They wanted someone better.

Iconic
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
If he meant that much to them, they would have tagged him. They wanted someone better.

Not really, Whitner just fits Pettine's Defense better. Pettine does not believe in FS and SS. He views both positions the same and switches guys around all the time. Whitner's your guy in that type of D.

Mugsy
03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Not really, Whitner just fits Pettine's Defense better. Pettine does not believe in FS and SS. He views both positions the same and switches guys around all the time. Whitner's your guy in that type of D.

Nah, I don't agree. The last two regimes didn't seem to want to lock him up either. They knew 2013 was the last year they had him. None of the three GMs (and HCs) they've had in the last three offseasons re-signed him. He's not good in coverage. Re-signing him was never a priority for any of them. It's more than their current flavor of the month GM and coaching staff.

GoChargers
03-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Well that's no fucking good.
Why? It'll just make it that much more hilarious when Fivehead chokes in the playoffs again. :clap:

SeeingRed
03-11-2014, 09:18 PM

ya thats what im saying :hmmm: the f**k?...he wouldve been a good get for us. Oh well

Iconic
03-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Nah, I don't agree. The last two regimes didn't seem to want to lock him up either. They knew 2013 was the last year they had him. None of the three GMs (and HCs) they've had in the last three offseasons re-signed him. He's not good in coverage. Re-signing him was never a priority for any of them. It's more than their current flavor of the month GM and coaching staff.

K

TEX
03-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Just a couple of days ago the Saints were in CAP HELL. Looks like they found a way to make a splash and sign a very good player. THEY FOUND A WAY! Meanwhile, KC lost more than the Saints cut, and haven't done dick. :shake:

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Just a couple of days ago the Saints were in CAP HELL. Looks like they found a way to make a splash and sign a very good player. THEY FOUND A WAY! Meanwhile, KC lost more than the Saints cut, and haven't done dick. :shake:

Brees is also 35 years old and in the twilight of his career. The Saints have a small window to win right now as well. They're pretty much in the same boat as NE and Denver. It's now or rebuild with a new QB in a couple of years for them.

houstonwhodat
03-12-2014, 04:09 AM
Super Bowl.

houstonwhodat
03-12-2014, 04:10 AM

It's all about Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton.

Three7s
03-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Yeah, because the Browns are a classic example of a model franchise to follow as far as resigning players.

LMAO

Mugsy
03-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Dumbass.

So basically what you are saying is that we need great deep safety play to train our linemen to knock down short passes? LMAO

Yeah, because the Browns are a classic example of a model franchise to follow as far as resigning players.

LMAO

It wasn't just the three GMs, HCs, and DCs that didn't want him. The majority of the fans didn't want him either and feel like they upgraded. Go read some of their message boards. He sucked in coverage.