PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Starting Left Defensive End In 2014?

SeeingRed
03-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Who is the everydown starter and who is the situational pass rusher at LDE?

Looks like its between Allen Bailey and Mike Catapano for LDE (as well as situational pass rusher on d line)...so how should they be used?

Allen Bailey will be his 4th year in the league 6'3" 290 lbs

draft measurables: 6'3" 285 lbs. (Current Weight: 290 lbs)
4.7 40 yd dash 36.5 vertical 27 reps on bench
4.56 shuttle 7.43 three cone

7 sacks, 11 TFL senior year (at Miami leading his team) drafted in 3rd round

filled in last year seeing decent amount of snaps....finishing with 30 tackles and 1 sack.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Meet-Allen-Bailey/08633654-a1b4-4e2d-95b4-9e24f3e2c57d

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/6098422/draft_preview_allen_bailey/

Mike Catapano his 2nd year in the league 6'4" 290 lbs.

draft measurables: 6'4" 271 lbs. (current weight 290 lbs)
4.7 40 yd dash 37.5 vertical 33 reps on bench
4.30 shuttle 7.03 three cone

12 Sacks and 15 TFL in senior year (led his team and league) drafted 7th rd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GcdKCG5F8Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSAL4b8lwXM

played limited time his rookie season but flashed good promise in his limited # of snaps. handful of tackles and 1 sack

Bailey's strength seems to be as a run stopper where he did pretty well over the 2013 season. Catapano is reported to have exceptional pass rushing abilities which he display glimpses of but played so few snaps hard to gauge.

Personally I think both of these guys are GREAT athletes (as evidenced by their impressive combine numbers) and are capable of stepping in and filling Tyson Jackson's production (hopefully improving on)...I dont see why not. Bailey had a good season in 2013 and looked stout against run and although shy of 300 lbs is lean and strong at 290 lbs and is a capable 3-4 DE. Only had 1 sack but Jackson only had a few in WAY more snaps). Catapano, now 290 lbs, seems to have more upside potential (particularly as a pass rusher). Adding some depth wont hurt but we are ok here I feel.

In conclusion I would say Bailey should get the start at LDE and Cat should be used on passing downs as situational rusher on inside (or outside) and has versatility. Like Bailey Catapano is shy of that 300 lbs mark but also is a lean muscular 290 lbs. who has the strength to stop the run and for a big man has impressive rushing speed and moves to get to the QB. I'd rather see these guys used to play on their strengths. Cat may end up being a fulltime starter eventually but for now might be best to use him as a pass rushing weapon. But i like both as replacements for Jackson who was getting paid MUCH more. Some added depth through draft or free agency would be good but i like these two. Unless we draft a DE with our 1st round pick or get a high priced free agent one of these two will be our starter at LDE. We also have 300 lbs Jay Howard and 330 lbs Jerrell Powe as D-line depth at NT and DE but would rather see Cat or Bailey as starter. I think we are good here for most part...I like our D line as is (plus whoever we add moving forward)...our O line is a diff story.
Who would you start at LDE in 2014 to go along with Mike Devito and Dontari Poe up front? and how should these guys be used? Do we look for any DE's in FA or focus on more pressing needs? Thoughts? :hmmm:

kcxiv
03-11-2014, 08:22 PM
I dontknow, but we lost quite a few folks, while they may be limpdicks, we gotta replace them and we dont have a 2nd rounder.

Hopefully the Chiefs can fil up them spots with competent players.

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Catapano is easily the best pass rushing option we currently have at 5-tech. His burst, motor, and technique was already superior to both Bailey and Howard as a rookie.

Mr. Laz
03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
many people around here seem to think that Catapano is elite

I guess we will see.

Bailey is too light in the ass

planetdoc
03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Mike Devito on the strong side (LDE)

bailey/catapano compete for RDE

Mugsy
03-11-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm thinking we sign Kiesel as a stop gap and we draft somebody on the third day. The rookie and Capatano learn under Keisel and they keep their fingers crossed that the young guys show something. Dorsey will probably sign someone in the mold of Tyson Jackson. Old man Kiesel fits the bill.

SeeingRed
03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm thinking we sign Kiesel as a stop gap and we draft somebody on the third day. The rookie and Capatano learn under Keisel and they keep their fingers crossed that the young guys show something. Dorsey will probably sign someone in the mold of Tyson Jackson. Old man Kiesel fits the bill.

I like Keisel...but is he affordable? Prob not, thats why we dumped Jackson.

planetdoc
03-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Hagemon. Dude is a physical freak. Would be an incredible pairing with Poe.

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 08:35 PM
many people around here seem to think that Catapano is elite

I guess we will see.

Bailey is too light in the ass

He's not elite, but I think people have seen enough to think that he has the potential to become a really good player and could be that missing 4th pass rusher on our DL in sub packages.

SeeingRed
03-11-2014, 09:28 PM
He's not elite, but I think people have seen enough to think that he has the potential to become a really good player and could be that missing 4th pass rusher on our DL in sub packages.

Ya well we need something! Denver just added 2 Defensive pro bowlers today....an improved pass rush from the d line is exactly what we need. I hope Catapano is who we think he is. But damn, play the guy at least already. :-/ If we can get a double digit inside rusher and sure up our back end somehow maybe we can compete with the donkeys. I hope

Saccopoo
03-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Who is the everydown starter and who is the situational pass rusher at LDE?

Looks like its between Allen Bailey and Mike Catapano for LDE (as well as situational pass rusher on d line)...so how should they be used?

Allen Bailey will be his 4th year in the league 6'3" 290 lbs

draft measurables: 6'3" 285 lbs. (Current Weight: 290 lbs)
4.7 40 yd dash 36.5 vertical 27 reps on bench
4.56 shuttle 7.43 three cone

7 sacks, 11 TFL senior year (at Miami leading his team) drafted in 3rd round

filled in last year seeing decent amount of snaps....finishing with 30 tackles and 1 sack.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Meet-Allen-Bailey/08633654-a1b4-4e2d-95b4-9e24f3e2c57d

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/6098422/draft_preview_allen_bailey/

Mike Catapano his 2nd year in the league 6'4" 290 lbs.

draft measurables: 6'4" 271 lbs. (current weight 290 lbs)
4.7 40 yd dash 37.5 vertical 33 reps on bench
4.30 shuttle 7.03 three cone

12 Sacks and 15 TFL in senior year (led his team and league) drafted 7th rd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GcdKCG5F8Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSAL4b8lwXM

played limited time his rookie season but flashed good promise in his limited # of snaps. handful of tackles and 1 sack

Bailey's strength seems to be as a run stopper where he did pretty well over the 2013 season. Catapano is reported to have exceptional pass rushing abilities which he display glimpses of but played so few snaps hard to gauge.

Personally I think both of these guys are GREAT athletes (as evidenced by their impressive combine numbers) and are capable of stepping in and filling Tyson Jackson's production (hopefully improving on)...I dont see why not. Bailey had a good season in 2013 and looked stout against run and although shy of 300 lbs is lean and strong at 290 lbs and is a capable 3-4 DE. Only had 1 sack but Jackson only had a few in WAY more snaps). Catapano, now 290 lbs, seems to have more upside potential (particularly as a pass rusher). Adding some depth wont hurt but we are ok here I feel.

In conclusion I would say Bailey should get the start at LDE and Cat should be used on passing downs as situational rusher on inside (or outside) and has versatility. Like Bailey Catapano is shy of that 300 lbs mark but also is a lean muscular 290 lbs. who has the strength to stop the run and for a big man has impressive rushing speed and moves to get to the QB. I'd rather see these guys used to play on their strengths. Cat may end up being a fulltime starter eventually but for now might be best to use him as a pass rushing weapon. But i like both as replacements for Jackson who was getting paid MUCH more. Some added depth through draft or free agency would be good but i like these two. Unless we draft a DE with our 1st round pick or get a high priced free agent one of these two will be our starter at LDE. We also have 300 lbs Jay Howard and 330 lbs Jerrell Powe as D-line depth at NT and DE but would rather see Cat or Bailey as starter. I think we are good here for most part...I like our D line as is (plus whoever we add moving forward)...our O line is a diff story.
Who would you start at LDE in 2014 to go along with Mike Devito and Dontari Poe up front? and how should these guys be used? Do we look for any DE's in FA or focus on more pressing needs? Thoughts? :hmmm:

Jerrell Powe at NT. Poe and DeVito at the DE spots.

Mr. Laz
03-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Jerrell Powe at NT. Poe and DeVito at the DE spots.

we haven't even shown that we want to keep Powe on the roster yet.

SeeingRed
03-11-2014, 09:39 PM
we haven't even shown that we want to keep Powe on the roster yet.

Ya I dont agree on Powe as the NT.....rather it be with Dantari in middle as d anchor. Powe might weigh alot but he is nowhere near the Nose that Poe is....nowhere near as strong or as athletic.

Easy 6
03-11-2014, 10:00 PM
F**k it, just cede the AFCW to Dinver this year/defeatist/how the hell are we gonna compete with a balls to the wall push with a pissed off HOFer?

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 10:03 PM
F**k it, just cede the AFCW to Dinver this year/defeatist/how the hell are we gonna compete with a balls to the wall push with a pissed off HOFer?

By breaking that HOFer just like Seattle did.

Rasputin
03-11-2014, 10:13 PM
I want to see Poe & Powe on the field at the same time.

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 10:15 PM
I want to see Poe & Powe on the field at the same time.

Powe isn't all that great. He shows nothing besides a straight bull rush. If the OG/C can withstand the initial surge then Powe is done.

SeeingRed
03-11-2014, 10:20 PM

and 3 new pro bowl caliber Free Agent defensive signings on day 1 :eek::(:shake:

Rasputin
03-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Powe isn't all that great. He shows nothing besides a straight bull rush. If the OG/C can withstand the initial surge then Powe is done.

At the same time dealing with Poe? Yeah I like my chances with Poe & Powe.

That is power.

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 10:50 PM
At the same time dealing with Poe? Yeah I like my chances with Poe & Powe.

That is power.
I'd rather have a beefed up Catapano next to Poe.

SeeingRed
03-12-2014, 12:53 PM
I'd rather have a beefed up Catapano next to Poe.

I agree...def rather see either Catapano or Bailey over Powe. If Catapano does start maybe he can help us generate a pass rush from the line. Nobody else we have on line can really do that. Maybe Catapano's presence in there as an rusher would open up Lanes for others like Poe Houston and Hali. The one game he started as a situational pass rusher (Jacksonville I believe) Poe and Houston had like 5 sacks between them.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 01:04 PM
If it's between Catapano and Bailey, Catapano wins the job.

Bailey is a lost cause at this point. His contract is up and then he'll be gone.

Jerrell Powe is also a lost cause.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 01:05 PM
I agree...def rather see either Catapano or Bailey over Powe. If Catapano does start maybe he can help us generate a pass rush from the line. Nobody else we have on line can really do that. Maybe Catapano's presence in there as an rusher would open up Lanes for others like Poe Houston and Hali. The one game he started as a situational pass rusher (Jacksonville I believe) Poe and Houston had like 5 sacks between them.

Jacksonville had one of the worst offenses EVER.

SeeingRed
05-22-2014, 12:24 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=115&f=1837&t=12896206 Dorsey was on Sirius last night and apparently gave another Catapano endorsement without being asked. Said Big Cat is now over 290 lbs and will make a push for more playing time. With all the chatter from the top what are the chances this guy ends up being our starting DE opposite Devito? From what I hear Walker is being used primarily as a back up for Poe....so that leaves Bailey and Catapano competing for starting DE position opposite Devito. This will be an interesting situation to monitor progress on.

CaliforniaChief
05-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Walker's starting at DE. Poe at NT, and DeVito/Catapano on the other.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Cool

RustShack
05-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Walker's starting at DE. Poe at NT, and DeVito/Catapano on the other.

I read the first page and was really confused that there was no mention of Walker. I was under the impression he was Jackson's replacement.

CaliforniaChief
05-22-2014, 12:34 PM
I think the original OP was before free agency, or at least before Walker signed.

Mr. Laz
05-22-2014, 12:51 PM
don't forget about Poe at DE

although they would probably put Poe at RDE next to Hali

Walker at NT on passing downs with Ford at LDE?

Hali,Poe,Walker,Ford - blitz Houston off edge

Hali/Poe coming off one edge and Ford/Houston coming off the other. It would be hard to double anyone.

I would hope that rushing those 5 would get decent penetration

Aspengc8
05-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Bailey put on 5lbs in 3 years.. Catapano beefed up almost 20 already. I'd go with Mike. Need to get 3-4 DE's to 300+

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Replacing Tyson Jackson? Impossible!

Rausch
05-22-2014, 01:09 PM
I really couldn't give a $#it less.

It's a 3-4 DE.

It's not a high talent/high impact position...

The Franchise
05-22-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm sure Walker was brought in more for his role in the sub packages we run.