PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Safeties Left?

Micjones
03-11-2014, 08:51 PM
1. Chris Clemons (Miami)
Have to think he could be had for something in the neighborhood of $4m per.

2. Rafael Bush (New Orleans)
Low level tender means snaring him wouldn't cost the Chiefs a draft pick.

3. Nate Allen (Philadelphia)
Have to think he'll command a contract closer to what Delmas got.

Interested in any of them?

TribalElder
03-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Don't forget Kendrick Lewis ROFL

I kid I kid

Red Dawg
Commings and Abdullah will be our safeties.

Mr_Tomahawk
Nate Allen.

SeeingRed
meh :-/

O.city
03-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Clemons and Allen would be great to pair with e three we have

In58men
03-11-2014, 08:54 PM
We are completely fucked this season.

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Clemons.

BossChief
03-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Major Wright is still out there, isn't he?

Micjones
03-11-2014, 08:56 PM

He is. He really had a rough season in 2013 though.

OldSchool

Yeah, but his play fell off a cliff last year.

O.city
Clemons is probably e 2 or 3 best fit for what we need at FS behind Byrd and possibly Jenkins

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 08:57 PM
At this point, I'd go knock on Kerry Rhodes' door.

Mugsy
Charles Woodson has the Dorsey connection....

O.city
Give Clemons a 3 year 12 million dollar deal and a demps type deal to Nate Allen

BossChief
03-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Bring a bottle of wine and some condoms if you do.

Micjones
Give Clemons a 3 year 12 million dollar deal and a demps type deal to Nate Allen

Exactly what I was thinking about Clemons, O.

Micjones

The one in the front, please!

BossChief
03-11-2014, 09:00 PM
I know I'll get blasted for this, but I'd move Berry to FS and sign Bernard Pollard to a cheap deal to be the box safety in sub packages.

Dude was good in a limited role and has always had a knack at playing his best against Peyton.

He was also an amazing special teams player.

EDIT: Neverind, I didn't see that he re-signed with the Titans.

O.city
03-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Meh, it's an option, but if you're gonna do that just put Abdullah in the box

Mugsy
03-11-2014, 09:01 PM
I thought Pollard already re-signed with the Titans? I always liked Pollard.

TribalElder
03-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Berry can't stop being in the box

He has a linebacker personality conflict

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 09:02 PM
:clap:

Well, seeing as how we are currently using Berry like Pollard should be used, I wouldn't hate it. Unfortunately, he has a knack for getting penalized for his hits.

rabblerouser
03-11-2014, 09:02 PM
I would seriously take anyone over Kendrick Lewis.

Anyone.

O.city
03-11-2014, 09:03 PM
With Byrd getting what he got, imagine what earl Thomas is gonna get.

Jesus

BossChief
03-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Meh, it's an option, but if you're gonna do that just put Abdullah in the box

Abdullah showed the ability to be a ball hawk and like Dorsey said, he has great instincts and plays the game with his eyes.

Titty Meat
03-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Nate Allen sucks

O.city
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm sticking with Clemons. He was my pick before this, I'm betting on him being a chief tomorrow

Titty Meat
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
I know I'll get blasted for this, but I'd move Berry to FS and sign Bernard Pollard to a cheap deal to be the box safety in sub packages.

Dude was good in a limited role and has always had a knack at playing his best against Peyton.

Bernard Pollard fucking sucks

Mr_Tomahawk
03-11-2014, 09:06 PM
I'm sticking with Clemons. He was my pick before this, I'm betting on him being a chief tomorrow

I honestly don't know much about him.

Would you be happy with him? Or just settling given he isn't Lewis?

O.city
03-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Clemons, Hester (meh) and whoever and let's slug along I guess

BossChief
03-11-2014, 09:07 PM
I can't believe some of these deals getting signed.

Antoine Bethea got 6/yr as a 30 year old safety?

Wow.

I'll say this...if Bethea is worth 6 in today's NFL, then Byrd is a huge bargain at 9 and was probably worth more.

O.city
03-11-2014, 09:07 PM
I honestly don't know much about him.

Would you be happy with him? Or just settling given he isn't Lewis?

I'd be really happy with him. He's very skilled at playing centerfield and playing the single high safety.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-11-2014, 09:08 PM
I'd be really happy with him. He's very skilled at playing centerfield and playing the single high safety.

Sold.

OldSchool

Apparently both the Steelers and Jets are interested in his talents. We might have to outbid the Jets, at the very least, for him.

O.city
You could get him at 4 mil per (likely or hopefully) and he'd be worth it.

O.city
03-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Apparently both the Steelers and Jets are interested in his talents. We might have to outbid the Jets, at the very least, for him.

Steelers signed a safety today

BossChief
03-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Bernard Pollard ****ing sucks

In coverage, I agree...as a box safety and special teamer he was pretty damn good.

It's a moot point, though. He re-signed with the Titans.

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 09:10 PM

Yes, but Clemons is different from Mitchell. Jets are still definitely interested.

BossChief
03-11-2014, 09:10 PM

Yup mike mitchell

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-11-2014, 09:12 PM
I assumed there would be a Smith Clemons Miami connection going on. But how often does that play out

BossChief
03-11-2014, 09:14 PM
You could get him at 4 mil per (likely or hopefully) and he'd be worth it.

I doubt he gets that little...Bethea is 30 and got 6/yr

OldSchool
03-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Guys still out there who are worth a look besides Clemons:

Major Wright
Steve Gregory
Yeremiah Bell
Thomas DeCoud
Nate Allen
Kerry Rhodes

mcaj22
03-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Kerry Slowdes didnt even play last year

how is that an upgrade

O.city
03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Major wright is only 26 too

Dunerdr
03-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Any word on demps?

BossChief
03-11-2014, 09:19 PM
I forgot all about Decoud.

YES, PLEASE.

xztop123
03-11-2014, 09:22 PM

First part is good. Pollard cant cover. I want to run the exact same D seattle did and I want a big SS who can cover. Move Berry to FS and then shop for a SS.

Mugsy
03-11-2014, 09:23 PM

YES, PLEASE.

He's worse than Lewis man.... I would seriously rather have Lewis. The Falcons would rather have Lewis for sure.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-11-2014, 10:00 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Top FA safeties left: 1. Chris Clemons 2. Nate Allen 3. Major Wright 4. Charles Woodson 5. Steve Gregory 6. Thomas DeCoud 7. Nate Collins</p>&mdash; Evan Silva (@evansilva) <a href="https://twitter.com/evansilva/statuses/443597295700176896">March 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

rabblerouser
03-12-2014, 05:37 AM
Any word on demps?

He overruns his coverage a lot.

rabblerouser
03-12-2014, 05:39 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Top FA safeties left: 1. Chris Clemons 2. Nate Allen 3. Major Wright 4. Charles Woodson 5. Steve Gregory 6. Thomas DeCoud 7. Nate Collins</p>&mdash; Evan Silva (@evansilva) <a href="https://twitter.com/evansilva/statuses/443597295700176896">March 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

what?? Kendrick Lewis isn't among the best of what's left??

Shocked.

:hmmm:

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 06:44 AM

YES, PLEASE.

DeCoud isn't that good. Had some really rough stretches over the past couple of years IIRC.

Clemons is probably the best bet of the remaining guys. Allen and Wright would at least be upgrades over Lewis.

Micjones
03-12-2014, 07:37 AM
I want no parts of Major Wright or Thomas DeCoud.
They both stunk up the joint in 2013.

Gimme Chris Clemons, Rafael Bush (surprised no one is talking about him), or Nate Allen.

ct
03-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Demps is a solid STer, but we do not want him playing many defensive snaps. He played far too many last year.

I think Berry and Abdullah will be our starting safeties this year, with Commings and another rookie or cheap FA to back up Berry. Abdullah could slide over to back up Berry and Commings can step forward to FS if need be. Abdullah is a pretty good players, and SHOULD have replaced Lewis early in the year. Every time he played he made plays.

TEX
03-12-2014, 08:27 AM
1. Chris Clemons (Miami)
Have to think he could be had for something in the neighborhood of $4m per.

2. Rafael Bush (New Orleans)
Low level tender means snaring him wouldn't cost the Chiefs a draft pick.

3. Nate Allen (Philadelphia)
Have to think he'll command a contract closer to what Delmas got.

Interested in any of them?

4. Abdullah- He's cheap, signed and already on the roster. THAT is the reality of the situation and it always has been.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 08:38 AM
4. Abdullah- He's cheap, signed and already on the roster. THAT is the reality of the situation and it always has been.

Technically, Abdullah and Berry play the same position.

Micjones
03-12-2014, 09:27 AM

No reason to include his name on a list of available safeties.
He's already been retained.

I like Abdullah a lot. I think he's better than fans realize.
I won't have an issue with him being the starter.

I would like to see another addition though.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 09:34 AM
No reason to include his name on a list of available safeties.
He's already been retained.

I like Abdullah a lot. I think he's better than fans realize.
I won't have an issue with him being the starter.

I would like to see another addition though.

Abdullah isn't going to start in Lewis' spot.

Micjones
03-12-2014, 09:36 AM

Not sure why you think that. He's a ballhawk who plays the game with his eyes. He could easily play that position.

OldSchool
03-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Not sure why you think that. He's a ballhawk who plays the game with his eyes. He could easily play that position.

Yup, and he showed the ability to drop down and cover 1 on 1 as well in that playoff game.

Micjones
03-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Yup, and he showed the ability to drop down and cover 1 on 1 as well in that playoff game.

Hell, he might've been the only member of the secondary to show up for that game.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 09:42 AM

There's a reason he's been a backup most of his career and moved back and forth between SS and FS.

Seriously, if he were a BIG upgrade over Lewis, they would have started him over Lewis. They didn't.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 09:43 AM

He had a good game. Great.

He's been in the league since like 2008.

King_Chief_Fan
03-12-2014, 09:44 AM
hopefully Lewis isn't either

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 09:46 AM
hopefully Lewis isn't either

Somebody has to start there.

Micjones
03-12-2014, 09:46 AM
There's a reason he's been a backup most of his career and moved back and forth between SS and FS.

Seriously, if he were a BIG upgrade over Lewis, they would have started him over Lewis. They didn't.

He was also coming off of a hiatus from the NFL.
He played significant snaps and made the most of those opportunities.

I think he'll be a significant upgrade over Lewis though.
He has better instincts and is a lot more athletic.

The fact that he didn't start over him doesn't mean he isn't the better player.

Bootlegged
03-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Sanders Commings could be Chiefs’ answer at free safety
January 17
By TEREZ A. PAYLOR
The Kansas City Star

With last year’s starter at free safety, Kendrick Lewis, a free agent this offseason, there’s little doubt the Chiefs will be shopping for players at that position.

But while it remains to be seen if they will address this need through free agency or the draft, it’s quite possible that Sanders Commings — the Chiefs’ fifth-round pick last April — also will have a chance to make an impact at the position.

Commings, who is listed at 6 feet and 223 pounds, mainly played cornerback during his five-year career at Georgia and also appeared in two games at the position during his injury-plagued rookie season.

However, the fact the Chiefs, who see him as a safety in the long-term, slapped the short-term injured-reserve tag on him when he broke his collarbone in training camp says a lot about the way they felt about his ability to contribute this year. Thanks to a new rule, teams may now allow one player to be reactivated from IR per year, and the Chiefs chose Commings.

“I thought it was interesting,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said of the Chiefs’ selection of Commings last April. “I was in Kansas City this summer for two days and he was a little banged up so I didn’t really get to see him, but I got the sense they liked him and felt like he could be a playmaking safety.”

With Eric Berry holding down the fort at strong safety, where he primarily functions as a linebacker in the box, the Chiefs have a need for a sideline-to-sideline free safety who can make defensive coordinator Bob Sutton’s defense sing.

“If you’re talking about that single-high safety that can run sideline-to-sideline, he’s got speed and range,” Mayock said of Commings. “What you’re hoping for with that guy is ball skills and tackling. I know he’s got speed and range, but I don’t really know enough to bang the table and say whether or not he’s got superior ball skills or is willing to be a tackler.”

Georgia coach Mark Richt, who coached Commings for five years, is confident he can be a single-high safety — playing deep to prevent long passes — even though he spent most of his career at cornerback. Richt cited Commings’ baseball background at Georgia as proof.

“Anybody who plays baseball understands how to play the ball,” Richt said. “He’s used those skills to help him as a football player as well. He has great hands and has great vision to chase down a ball in flight, just like a center fielder would.”

Commings actually played center field at Georgia, where he batted .406 with six home runs, 27 RBIs and 18 stolen bases his junior year and was a 37th-round draft pick of the Arizona Diamondbacks out of high school in 2008.

But Richt, who had two safeties (Shaun Williams and Bacarri Rambo) drafted last year, said he used Commings at cornerback because he was athletic enough to play the position.

“He’s better when he’s got his hands on people,” Richt said. “But he changed directions well, he’s got good speed and he used his size to his advantage as a corner. And if we had some injuries back there (at safety), he was there to fill in the gap and was smart enough do both.”

The Chiefs, however, need Commings to stay healthy if they want to see what he can really do. He was deemed fully healed from his collarbone injury in early November and logged a total of three defensive snaps and 44 special-teams snaps against Denver and San Diego, but re-injuredthe same shoulder before he was placed on injured reserve for good.

Commings’ shoulder problems obviously raise some concerns about his ability to stay healthy going forward, especially for a player billed as a willing and capable tackler coming out of college.

Mayock, however, stressed the importance of looking at the big picture.

“It’s less about one year and it’s more about a body of work,” Mayock said. “How healthy was he in college? Did he answer the bell two or three years in a row? Was he missing four or five games a year in college? That’s what’s more important.”

For what it’s worth, Richt could not remember a time Commings got hurt in college. After his redshirt year in Athens, Commings appeared in 51 of 54 possible games, and two of the games he missed were due to suspension relating to an arrest for simple battery and disorderly conduct.

“If a guy gets banged up for one year, especially his rookie year, to me it’s like, ‘All right, let’s give him a pass, let’s get him in the weight room and bring him back,’ ” Mayock said. “And if it happens again his second year, then we’ve got an issue.”

The Chiefs certainly hope it doesn’t.

“He’s got the size,” Mayock said. “If you put it on paper, it looks good. I just don’t know enough about him at the safety position, but to me, it’s intriguing.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/17/4759959/sanders-commings-could-be-chiefs.html#storylink=cpy

Micjones
He had a good game. Great.

He's been in the league since like 2008.

Go look at his PFF numbers for the last 2-3 seasons he's logged in the league.
I bet they'll surprise you.

OldSchool
Hell, he might've been the only member of the secondary to show up for that game.

He really was. He picked off Luck on a play to TY Hilton and also on a quick out to Donald Brown. He was quick in his reads and his breaks.

Bootlegged
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CRAItrkzwDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

Micjones
03-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Sanders Commings could be Chiefs’ answer at free safety
January 17
By TEREZ A. PAYLOR
The Kansas City Star

With last year’s starter at free safety, Kendrick Lewis, a free agent this offseason, there’s little doubt the Chiefs will be shopping for players at that position.

But while it remains to be seen if they will address this need through free agency or the draft, it’s quite possible that Sanders Commings — the Chiefs’ fifth-round pick last April — also will have a chance to make an impact at the position.

Commings, who is listed at 6 feet and 223 pounds, mainly played cornerback during his five-year career at Georgia and also appeared in two games at the position during his injury-plagued rookie season.

However, the fact the Chiefs, who see him as a safety in the long-term, slapped the short-term injured-reserve tag on him when he broke his collarbone in training camp says a lot about the way they felt about his ability to contribute this year. Thanks to a new rule, teams may now allow one player to be reactivated from IR per year, and the Chiefs chose Commings.

“I thought it was interesting,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said of the Chiefs’ selection of Commings last April. “I was in Kansas City this summer for two days and he was a little banged up so I didn’t really get to see him, but I got the sense they liked him and felt like he could be a playmaking safety.”

With Eric Berry holding down the fort at strong safety, where he primarily functions as a linebacker in the box, the Chiefs have a need for a sideline-to-sideline free safety who can make defensive coordinator Bob Sutton’s defense sing.

“If you’re talking about that single-high safety that can run sideline-to-sideline, he’s got speed and range,” Mayock said of Commings. “What you’re hoping for with that guy is ball skills and tackling. I know he’s got speed and range, but I don’t really know enough to bang the table and say whether or not he’s got superior ball skills or is willing to be a tackler.”

Georgia coach Mark Richt, who coached Commings for five years, is confident he can be a single-high safety — playing deep to prevent long passes — even though he spent most of his career at cornerback. Richt cited Commings’ baseball background at Georgia as proof.

“Anybody who plays baseball understands how to play the ball,” Richt said. “He’s used those skills to help him as a football player as well. He has great hands and has great vision to chase down a ball in flight, just like a center fielder would.”

Commings actually played center field at Georgia, where he batted .406 with six home runs, 27 RBIs and 18 stolen bases his junior year and was a 37th-round draft pick of the Arizona Diamondbacks out of high school in 2008.

But Richt, who had two safeties (Shaun Williams and Bacarri Rambo) drafted last year, said he used Commings at cornerback because he was athletic enough to play the position.

“He’s better when he’s got his hands on people,” Richt said. “But he changed directions well, he’s got good speed and he used his size to his advantage as a corner. And if we had some injuries back there (at safety), he was there to fill in the gap and was smart enough do both.”

The Chiefs, however, need Commings to stay healthy if they want to see what he can really do. He was deemed fully healed from his collarbone injury in early November and logged a total of three defensive snaps and 44 special-teams snaps against Denver and San Diego, but re-injuredthe same shoulder before he was placed on injured reserve for good.

Commings’ shoulder problems obviously raise some concerns about his ability to stay healthy going forward, especially for a player billed as a willing and capable tackler coming out of college.

Mayock, however, stressed the importance of looking at the big picture.

“It’s less about one year and it’s more about a body of work,” Mayock said. “How healthy was he in college? Did he answer the bell two or three years in a row? Was he missing four or five games a year in college? That’s what’s more important.”

For what it’s worth, Richt could not remember a time Commings got hurt in college. After his redshirt year in Athens, Commings appeared in 51 of 54 possible games, and two of the games he missed were due to suspension relating to an arrest for simple battery and disorderly conduct.

“If a guy gets banged up for one year, especially his rookie year, to me it’s like, ‘All right, let’s give him a pass, let’s get him in the weight room and bring him back,’ ” Mayock said. “And if it happens again his second year, then we’ve got an issue.”

The Chiefs certainly hope it doesn’t.

“He’s got the size,” Mayock said. “If you put it on paper, it looks good. I just don’t know enough about him at the safety position, but to me, it’s intriguing.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/17/4759959/sanders-commings-could-be-chiefs.html#storylink=cpy

For now, he's still an unproven commodity.
Can't count on him to be the answer at FS.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 09:48 AM
He was also coming off of a hiatus from the NFL.
He played significant snaps and made the most of those opportunities.

I think he'll be a significant upgrade over Lewis though.
He has better instincts and is a lot more athletic.

The fact that he didn't start over him doesn't mean he isn't the better player.

Sorry but to me, this is just the regular Chiefs fan offseason ritual, where we overvalue some guy because he was already here and had a couple of good games.

Guys like Abdullah are a dime a dozen.

If everybody wants to get their hopes up fine with me. I'm not going to. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

mcaj22
03-12-2014, 09:49 AM
so right now we're going to have an opening day single high safety who

a) didn't play much last year

b) is a CB who never played single high safety in an actual game (college or pro) in his life.

C) replaces a guy with a bum shoulder with his own bum shoulder (he injured, twice)

yea that's not a bold gamble or anything in our division

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Go look at his PFF numbers for the last 2-3 seasons he's logged in the league.
I bet they'll surprise you.

Mike Brown had a couple of good seasons before he came here, too.

The Franchise
03-12-2014, 09:50 AM
so we're going to have an opening day single high safety who

b) is a CB who never played single high safety in an actual game (college or pro) in his life.

yea that's not a bold gamble on anything in our division

They aren't just doing it with one position though.....they're doing it with multiple positions.

And yes, before anyone mentions it, I realize that we still have free agency and the draft left.

OldSchool
03-12-2014, 09:51 AM
so right now we're going to have an opening day single high safety who

yea that's not a bold gamble or anything in our division

Would you rather have General Lewis back in the fold?

Micjones
03-12-2014, 09:51 AM
It's okay to be skeptical, but it seems that your lack of familiarity with how well he played before he was signed by the Chiefs is clouding your judgment a bit.

He was a good football player before he ever got here.
A bit like Geoff Schwartz.

He didn't suddenly flash the ability to play the game in the postseason.

Bootlegged
03-12-2014, 09:52 AM

Maybe you can't. Be he will be.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 09:53 AM
It's okay to be skeptical, but it seems that your lack of familiarity with how well he played before he was signed by the Chiefs is clouding your judgment a bit.

He was a good football player before he ever got here.
A bit like Geoff Schwartz.

He didn't suddenly flash the ability to play the game in the postseason.

The Vikings moved him back and forth from SS to FS because they couldn't find the right fit for him.

My judgement isn't clouded at all. History, especially of the Chiefs, says this guy isn't anything special. I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong.

Micjones
03-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Mike Brown had a couple of good seasons before he came here, too.

Mike Brown was also three years older when he was signed by the Chiefs.
We'll just leave that part out though.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Mike Brown was also three years older when he was signed by the Chiefs.
We'll just leave that part out though.

Whatever makes you feel better.

OldSchool
03-12-2014, 09:55 AM
The Vikings moved him back and forth from SS to FS because they couldn't find the right fit for him.

My judgement isn't clouded at all. History, especially of the Chiefs, says this guy isn't anything special. I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong.

We don't need special, we just need sound and instinctive at the position. Abdullah is not going to be anywhere near as bad as Lewis was.

That's already an upgrade.

Bootlegged
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CRAItrkzwDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

If he were in this years draft you guys would be all be screaming to pick him as the answer. At least some of you. Some keep thinking we're going to tie up the little salary cap we have on a S. Still have big contracts for existing guys that have to be taken care of.

Catapano, Commings, Kelce will be on the field a lot in 2014.

htismaqe
So what is everybody gonna say when the trot out Commings as the starter and despite his growing pains, they refuse to start Abdullah?

Bootlegged
03-12-2014, 09:56 AM
So what is everybody gonna say when the trot out Commings as the starter and despite his growing pains, they refuse to start Abdullah?

I'll be saying it's the right move. The kid is a stud.

OldSchool
03-12-2014, 09:57 AM

Sutton likes running with 3 safeties. Abdullah will get plenty of play time.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 09:57 AM
We don't need special, we just need sound and instinctive at the position. Abdullah is not going to be anywhere near as bad as Lewis was.

That's already an upgrade.

Here's to 9-7 and a first round playoff loss!

BBQ is on the house!

mcaj22
03-12-2014, 09:58 AM
I'll be saying it's the right move. The kid is a stud.

and when he looks like a lost puppy dog out there because he's never played single high safety in his life and needs the experience of giving up the big play? and it costs us games, like fucking last season

is it still the right move?

The Franchise
03-12-2014, 09:58 AM

BBQ is on the house!

9-7? ROFL Yeahhhhhh right.

Micjones
03-12-2014, 09:59 AM

He was once considered nothing more than a backup in Minnesota until he stole a starting gig away from two players they thought would be front runners for it.

He then went out the next season and won the other safety job.

The guy can play football.
You seem to be convinced he's a pedestrian player though so I'll leave you to that.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 10:01 AM
He was once considered nothing more than a backup in Minnesota until he stole a starting gig away from two players they thought would be front runners for it.

He then went out the next season and won the other safety job.

The guy can play football.
You seem to be convinced he's a pedestrian player though so I'll leave you to that.

Pedestrian? He's a solid backup. He isn't the "answer" to any of our questions. At all.

Bootlegged
03-12-2014, 10:01 AM
and when he looks like a lost puppy dog out there because he's never played single high safety in his life and needs the experience of giving up the big play? and it costs us games, like ****ing last season

is it still the right move?

Have you ever played football? Do you have any idea what you are talking about or did you just hear the term single high safety and decide that only a few people can play that position?

mcaj22
03-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Have you ever played football? Do you have any idea what you are talking about or did you just hear the term single high safety and decide that only a few people can play that position?

not every safety can play that position. as evident by last year and the fact that not many ****ing teams run that style. it's evident that you don't watch football.

Micjones
03-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Pedestrian? He's a solid backup. He isn't the "answer" to any of our questions. At all.

The real question here is whether or not he'll be an upgrade.
There's little doubt in my mind that he'll be better than Lewis.

I started this thread hoping to discuss the other options available at free safety, so I'm certainly not expecting him to be the answer.

If he's our guy though, we'll be better off. That much, I'm sure of.

mcaj22
03-12-2014, 10:05 AM
why did Jarius Byrd get 9 million from a team that immediately chased with no cap space that has a defense run by Rob Ryan

almost 2-3 million more than any other safety yesterday?

Oh, that's because they run the same ****ing defense as us, and guess what he plays...

single high safety. It's a premium. Earl Thomas, Ed Reed in his prime, these guys don't grow on trees like a cover 2 safety.

they let a 26 year old safety who was a former first round pick WALK IN FA for that upgrade.

Bootlegged
not every safety can play that position. as evident by last year and the fact that not many ****ing teams run that style. it's evident that you don't watch football.

Correct. I've been here since 2001 because I don't watch football. Guy runs 4.45 and has great instincts. All you need.

htismaqe
The real question here is whether or not he'll be an upgrade.
There's little doubt in my mind that he'll be better than Lewis.

I started this thread hoping to discuss the other options available at free safety, so I'm certainly not expecting him to be the answer.

If he's our guy though, we'll be better off. That much, I'm sure of.

If he was better than Lewis, he would have started over Lewis.

Either that, or Reid is clueless.

They're mutually exclusive. Sorry.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Guy runs 4.45 and has great instincts. All you need.

ROFL

mcaj22
03-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Correct. I've been here since 2001 because I don't watch football. Guy runs 4.45 and has great instincts. All you need.

LOL

Bootlegged
03-12-2014, 10:07 AM
ROFL

He's already a DB you dipshit - not saying anyone that runs a 4.45 can play S. Jesus you are a miserable troll.

mcaj22
03-12-2014, 10:13 AM
you basically are.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 10:16 AM
He's already a DB you dipshit - not saying anyone that runs a 4.45 can play S. Jesus you are a miserable troll.

You said "all you need". Own up to the fact that it's a silly statement and move on.

Bootlegged
03-12-2014, 10:18 AM
You said "all you need". Own up to the fact that it's a silly statement and move on.

Ok. I think anyone with a brain knows what I was saying. But whatever.

Micjones
03-12-2014, 10:19 AM
If he was better than Lewis, he would have started over Lewis.

Either that, or Reid is clueless.

They're mutually exclusive. Sorry.

We'll just leave out the part about him being away from the NFL prior to 2013.

tecumseh
03-12-2014, 10:20 AM

BBQ is on the house!

Playoffs in 14'? I'll take it.:evil:

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 10:24 AM
We'll just leave out the part about him being away from the NFL prior to 2013.

As if that doesn't make it worse.

Anyong Bluth
03-12-2014, 10:46 AM

To you. The coaches and front office have seen plenty more of his play / practice obviously. But, I'm agree with you on the sentiment of being uneasy because he's an unknown commodity at this point- same holds true for Kelce.

Anyong Bluth
03-12-2014, 10:51 AM

The Vikings have their head so far up their ass the last few years, I don't take a lor away from his time there simply because I don't put a lot of faith in their judgment as to his use or their general ability to coach. It's been a revolving door up there for a while now. His time there is taken with a big grain of salt.

Anyong Bluth
03-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Sutton likes running with 3 safeties. Abdullah will get plenty of play time.

So why can't he learn the value of setting a rotation along the Defensive line? We burned those guys out 1/2 way through the season, and they were running on dead legs by November.

OldSchool
03-12-2014, 11:07 AM
So why can't he learn the value of setting a rotation along the Defensive line? We burned those guys out 1/2 way through the season, and they were running on dead legs by November.

He only rotated our 5-techs on passing downs. Jackson ended up getting pulled for Bailey most of the time because Jackson was ineffective as a pass rusher. Bad thing is, Bailey isn't much of a pass rusher either and Catapano wasn't trusted due to his inexperience. Hali and Houston rarely ever left the field when they were healthy. We honestly just don't have much behind them at all.

dirk digler
03-12-2014, 11:24 AM
What about Ryan Clark?

OldSchool
03-12-2014, 11:47 AM
What about Ryan Clark?

Might as well keep Lewis. Clark is now old and slow. Ed Reed while you're at it.

The Franchise
03-12-2014, 11:47 AM
What about Ryan Clark?

The dude who can't play in Denver? No thanks.

Bootlegged
03-12-2014, 12:04 PM
It is what it is.

CB Smith
S Berry
S Commings
CB Flowers
Nickel - Cooper
B/U - Bin Laden

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 01:14 PM
The Vikings have their head so far up their ass the last few years, I don't take a lor away from his time there simply because I don't put a lot of faith in their judgment as to his use or their general ability to coach. It's been a revolving door up there for a while now. His time there is taken with a big grain of salt.

Good thing our defensive staff has their shit together then...oh wait...

PA Chiefs
03-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Cut Flowers sign Antonio Cromartie and Chris Clemons or keep Flowers and sign those 2 I think Cromartie is going to bounce back this year just a hunch plus we need some in your face attitude in the secondary.

dirk digler
03-12-2014, 02:39 PM
The dude who can't play in Denver? No thanks.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. That probably isn't the best idea then.

Anyong Bluth
03-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Good thing our defensive staff has their shit together then...oh wait...

Criticism is fair, but let's be realistic, it's no where close to the Viking's tripping on their own dick.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 04:03 PM
Criticism is fair, but let's be realistic, it's no where close to the Viking's tripping on their own dick.

Do you watch the Vikings?

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-12-2014, 04:21 PM
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/505/856/hi-res-7591638_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 04:22 PM
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/505/856/hi-res-7591638_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Any news on who he's meeting with?

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-12-2014, 04:23 PM

Nothing.

mcaj22
03-12-2014, 04:23 PM
ChiefsandOs you arent the guy on twitter pestering everyone about Chris Clemons are you

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-12-2014, 04:24 PM
ChiefsandOs you arent the guy on twitter pestering everyone about Chris Clemons are you

Nope, Why do that Chiefs wont be signing him so why waste time? I ask Jason La Canfora once he said he had nothing on him.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Nothing.

Maybe we can hope the Chiefs are talking to him and that's why it's so quiet.

mcaj22
03-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Nope, Why do that Chiefs wont be signing him so why waste time?

I saw a dude on twitter giving Paylor some shit and his handle is OriolesChiefs so I figured it was you.

https://twitter.com/OriolesChiefs

he has asked everyone and their brother about Chris Clemons to KC and nobody has responded to him lol

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-12-2014, 04:29 PM
I saw a dude on twitter giving Paylor some shit and his handle is OriolesChiefs so I figured it was you.

https://twitter.com/OriolesChiefs

he has asked everyone and their brother about Chris Clemons to KC and nobody has responded to him lol

That's me lol i ask him and Jason.

mcaj22
03-12-2014, 04:30 PM
i knew it

Anyong Bluth
03-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Do you watch the Vikings?

Can't be avoided up here in NFC North territory.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Can't be avoided up here in NFC Central territory.

Same here.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-12-2014, 04:34 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Eagles&amp;src=hash">#Eagles</a> fans really under value Nate Allen. Not saying he is a Pro Bowler, but he is a solid player. Not the huge liability many think.</p>&mdash; Eliot Shorr-Parks (@EliotShorrParks) <a href="https://twitter.com/EliotShorrParks/statuses/443559435148197888">March 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

Mugsy
03-12-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm not high on Clemons. Every time I hear his name pop up I literally think "lemon."

bowener
03-12-2014, 04:36 PM

I read somewhere he was in Jacksonville.

edit: Nevermind, that is the SEA defensive end, Chris Clemmons.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-12-2014, 04:36 PM

That was the D.E

Anyong Bluth
03-12-2014, 04:38 PM

edit: Nevermind, that is the SEA defensive end, Chris Clemmons.

That was the D.E

I'm not high on Clemons. Every time I hear his name pop up I literally think "lemon."

Yep, Defensive end, got cut yesterday from Seahawks. NOT the Miami Safety.

O.city
03-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Maybe we can hope the Chiefs are talking to him and that's why it's so quiet.

Same thing with Sean smith last year

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 04:40 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Eagles&amp;src=hash">#Eagles</a> fans really under value Nate Allen. Not saying he is a Pro Bowler, but he is a solid player. Not the huge liability many think.</p>&mdash; Eliot Shorr-Parks (@EliotShorrParks) <a href="https://twitter.com/EliotShorrParks/statuses/443559435148197888">March 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

I'd definitely take Nate Allen.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-12-2014, 04:42 PM

It's crazy with all the safety signing last night we didn't hear anything about him or Chris.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 04:46 PM
It's crazy with all the safety signing last night we didn't hear anything about him or Chris.

Might be working on deals with their existing teams?

It is odd. The whole day was dominated by safeties.

MotherfuckerJones
03-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Watch us bring back Lewis

PA Chiefs
03-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Watch us bring back Lewis

Albert Lewis I hope

O.city
03-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Might be working on deals with their existing teams?

It is odd. The whole day was dominated by safeties.

I doubt Clemons does, they signed Delmas.

htismaqe
03-12-2014, 05:07 PM
I doubt Clemons does, they signed Delmas.

Ah, that's right.

I gotta step away from Chiefs planet so I can catch up on the actual moves being made. ROFL

Gino-Bartali
03-12-2014, 05:47 PM
What about (if he can stay healthy) Kenny Phillips?

Psyko Tek
03-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Kerry Slowdes didnt even play last year

how is that an upgrade

Keeendriiick leeeewis

yeah, it's an upgrade

Anyong Bluth
03-13-2014, 01:53 AM
What about (if he can stay healthy) Kenny Phillips?

I'd rather have Kenny Powers.

BryanBusby
03-13-2014, 05:04 AM
Clemons will frustrate you in a different way than Kendrick did, but he can actually cover and is an upgrade. Would only do it if he came cheap.

Mugsy
03-13-2014, 12:05 PM

I'm probably going to say "FUCK!" The man with two last names is going to be blah if he's anything like he was at Georgia.

Jakemall
03-13-2014, 12:06 PM

I've been on the Nate Allen bandwagon for the Chiefs since the end of the season. He'd be a good fit.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-15-2014, 01:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Former Saints Pro-Bowl S Roman Harper reached agreement with Panthers on a two-year, $4.5M deal that includes $1.5M sign bonus, per source.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/444915971870834688">March 15, 2014</a></blockquote>