PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs "in the mix" to sign TE Brandon Pettigrew

Dante84
03-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Zach Libby ‏@Zach__Libby 10m

According to @davebirkett, the #Lions, #Raiders, #Chiefs and #Jets are in the "mix" to sign TE Brandon Pettigrew.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Brandon Pettigrew - TE - Lions
According to the New York Daily News, the Jets will sign TE Brandon Pettigrew shortly.
It's an upgrade on Zach Sudfeld and Jeff Cumberland, but it's far from a difference-making acquisition. Pettigrew is a plodding, catch-and-fall guy in the passing game that has averaged 9.95 yards per reception in his five-year career. He's also been a liability when blocking in the run game. Pettigrew will barely be on the TE2 radar with Geno Smith and the Jets.
Related: Jets

Ceej
03-13-2014, 04:26 PM
I thought I read that he's about to sign with the NYJ.

Dunerdr
03-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Fasano x2? Andy was a lock to Arizona at one time as well.

Bowser
03-13-2014, 04:29 PM
It's like the time I almost bought Journey's Escape CD in the five dollar bin at Best Buy.

Dante84
03-13-2014, 04:29 PM
I thought I read that he's about to sign with the NYJ.

Maybe, but Dave Birkett posted it at 5:03pm Central.

For everyone on the Pettigrew watch, sounds like the Lions, Raiders, Chiefs and Jets are the teams in the mix.

https://twitter.com/davebirkett

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 04:30 PM
He's like Fasano except he can't catch consistently or block . . .

Snapplez
03-13-2014, 04:31 PM
It's like the time I almost bought Journey's Escape CD in the five dollar bin at Best Buy.

At least that CD is worth the money. Pettigrew not so much...

NCarlsCorner2
03-13-2014, 04:38 PM
He had 41 receptions, 416 yards & 2 TD's last year, Bowe had about 600 yards with 105 receptions, so he's not that shabby.

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 04:40 PM
He had 41 receptions, 416 yards & 2 TD's last year, Bowe had about 600 yards with 105 receptions, so he's not that shabby.

Lions aren't keeping him because he is an unreliable pass catcher, offers nothing after the catch, and is an unreliable blocker. I would not be happy with signing his JAG ass.

Discuss Thrower
If he signs.. Well McGrath better be prepared to see Mister Powers Boothe in his signature role (not counting Dawns Early Light)

saphojunkie
I thought Pettigrew exploded last year. Come to find out he just turned into a rat.

TEX
03-13-2014, 04:41 PM

Pretty accurate description.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 04:41 PM

ROFL

He can't stay healthy.

Outside of that he's WAY better than Fasano. WAY better.

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 04:43 PM
ROFL

He can't stay healthy.

How so? He has less dependable hands and offers nothing after the catch.

NCarlsCorner2
03-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Lions aren't keeping him because he is an unreliable pass catcher, offers nothing after the catch, and is an unreliable blocker. I would not be happy with signing his JAG ass.

According to this he can block.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/03/09/brandon-pettigrew-free-agency/6241371/

Micjones
03-13-2014, 04:45 PM
A report earlier today suggested he was considering either the Raiders, Jets, or Lions.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 04:46 PM
ROFL

He can't stay healthy.

hardly. I mean, he's the first NFL player I've ever seen duck out of the way of the ball-as the intended receiver- leading directly to a pick 6.

No thanks.

Bowser
03-13-2014, 04:47 PM
hardly. I mean, he's the first NFL player I've ever seen duck out of the way of the ball-as the intended receiver- leading directly to a pick 6.

No thanks.

Made me think of this...

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/49ers_07/duck.gif

Titty Meat
03-13-2014, 04:51 PM
This would be a great signing. Pettigrew has upside.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 04:53 PM
How so? He has less dependable hands and offers nothing after the catch.

If you take Fasano's best TWO seasons and add them together, he still has less receptions than Pettigrew's best season.

If you take Pettigrew's best 2 seasons and add them together, they come within spitting distance of Fasano's best FIVE seasons.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Made me think of this...

It was along those lines. He literally ducked out of the way, ball hit the DB in the hands; was an easy TD.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 04:54 PM

No thanks.

OMG

Just like Bowe did against Pittsburgh in 2011, right?

:rolleyes:

By all means let's get worked up about stupid shit and just bring back a completely worthless Anthony Fasano.

Jakemall
03-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Made me think of this...

Lloyd...ughh.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Pettigrew has more receptions than Fasano most likely for 2 reasons:
1-he gets more targets, because of:
2-Calvin Johnson.

He sucks, big time. No thanks.

But hey, my Lions fan friends would be elated.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 04:57 PM
People LOVE Alex Smith but they're okay with not doing ONE GODDAMN THING to help the guy out.

Hilarious.

Mi_chief_fan
OMG

Just like Bowe did against Pittsburgh in 2011, right?

:rolleyes:

By all means let's get worked up about stupid shit and just bring back a completely worthless Anthony Fasano.

Why replace worthless with even more worthless?

htismaqe
Pettigrew has more receptions than Fasano most likely for 2 reasons:
1-he gets more targets, because of:
2-Calvin Johnson.

He sucks, big time. No thanks.

But hey, my Lions fan friends would be elated.

Reason #3: Fasano is absolute garbage.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Why replace worthless with even more worthless?

Because Pettigrew has two 70+ catch seasons under his belt.

But he ducked from a pass and can't block. Let's pass. Alex Smith doesn't need any help.

More McGrath! Country strong!

Bowser
03-13-2014, 04:59 PM
People LOVE Alex Smith but they're okay with not doing ONE GODDAMN THING to help the guy out.

Hilarious.

I'm all about helping out Alex, especially in the TE department. I just think we can do better than this wet fart Pettigrew. I won't turn him away, I just hope he's not the entirety of the "Upgrade Tight End!" plan for KC.

mcaj22
03-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Pettigrew is a lot better of a caliber of player than Slappy Linchenturds and Joe Useless Mays

so at least they are trying

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Reason #3: Fasano is absolute garbage.

So is Pettigrew

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Because Pettigrew has two 70+ catch seasons under his belt.

But he ducked from a pass and can't block. Let's pass. Alex Smith doesn't need any help.

More McGrath! Country strong!

Yep. See, even you can see it.

Bowser
03-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Eh, the more I think about it, the more I'm warming to it.

Wasn't Pettigrew having a pretty solid year before he went down with injury (again) in Detroit last year?

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm all about helping out Alex, especially in the TE department. I just think we can do better than this wet fart Pettigrew. I won't turn him away, I just hope he's not the entirety of the "Upgrade Tight End!" plan for KC.

You do? Where?

Jermichael Finley? Who has equally suspect hands, an attitude problem, and is coming off neck surgery?

Or maybe in the draft, where they have multiple needs and are missing a 2nd rounder?

If we don't get someone like Pettigrew, there is no "upgrade TE" plan. It's Kelce or bust.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 05:10 PM
ROFL

Defending cheap shot artists like Joe Mays and preaching patience when we sign one of the worst linemen available in free agency.

But when a guy like Pettigrew comes available, it's "no, he sucks".

ROFL

This place is just fucking retarded sometimes.

The Franchise
03-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Everything I've seen....he's going to sign with the Jets.

Bowser
03-13-2014, 05:14 PM
I want no part of Finley. I was thinking mainly the draft. Free Safety is my first wish (provided that doesn't get addressed before the draft), then it is a toss up between receiver, TE, and pass rusher. If Ebron is still sitting there at 23, this team just can't pass him up. It's very likely that he won't be there, though. Him or Amaro.

Bowser
03-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Everything I've seen....he's going to sign with the Jets.

That team is a mess. Good thing it's in New York, or players would avoid the Jets as much as they do Oakland or Cleveland.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 05:16 PM
I want no part of Finley. I was thinking mainly the draft. Free Safety is my first wish (provided that doesn't get addressed before the draft), then it is a toss up between receiver, TE, and pass rusher. If Ebron is still sitting there at 23, this team just can't pass him up. It's very likely that he won't be there, though. Him or Amaro.

I'd love for them to take a TE but I just don't see it.

I'll bet they wait until the 3rd to take a WR.

I think they're going to take somebody like Zach Martin, they love offensive linemen.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Joe Mays sucks and is a bad signing. But you're a fucktard if you think Pettigrew is an upgrade.

RippedmyFlesh
03-13-2014, 05:26 PM
I'd love for them to take a TE but I just don't see it.

I'll bet they wait until the 3rd to take a WR.

I think they're going to take somebody like Zach Martin, they love offensive linemen.

Stop thinking that

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJZcX3pRrbbpOUhBP3Eds6NSKnMrKUpWIzeauuLG-wevuUFGwa

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Stop thinking that

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJZcX3pRrbbpOUhBP3Eds6NSKnMrKUpWIzeauuLG-wevuUFGwa

Not a thought, an educated guess.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Joe Mays sucks and is a bad signing. But you're a fucktard if you think Pettigrew is an upgrade.

If you take Fasano's best TWO seasons and add them together, he still has less receptions than Pettigrew's best season.

If you take Pettigrew's best 2 seasons and add them together, they come within spitting distance of Fasano's best FIVE seasons.

I guess basic math is beyond your comprehension?

Chief Roundup
03-13-2014, 05:32 PM
That team is a mess. Good thing it's in New York, or players would avoid the Jets as much as they do Oakland or Cleveland.

Oakland and the Browns sure have been signing a lot of players.

RippedmyFlesh
03-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Not a thought, an educated guess.

If mystery olineman is not a mirage we might not have to.

Red Dawg
03-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Pittigrew does not suck at all. He would be a massive upgrade fo Fasano and Duck Dynasty. Kelce? Who knows.

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 05:44 PM
If mystery olineman is not a mirage we might not have to.

They said they would have no problem taking an OT in the 1st round if one of the top ones fell to them. Meaning:

Robinson
Matthews
Lewan
Martin

Martin is the most likely one and everyone will be praying for him to be taken ahead of the Chiefs, lol. But it looks like a bunch of teams, Dolphins for instance, who need OL are filling those holes in FA. I don't think anyone will take a guard in the top 20 this year and Martin's best fit may be Guard in the NFL. If he really is there, Dorsey and Reid are going to have a hard time passing him up, lol.

CP will explode.

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 05:49 PM
Pittigrew does not suck at all. He would be a massive upgrade fo Fasano and Duck Dynasty. Kelce? Who knows.

Yeah, that's why he lost snaps to Joseph Fauria when it came down to the Red Zone. It seems that most of you think that Pettigrew is some great TE who will instantly improve our pass catching ability in the middle of the field. He was being phased out of Detroit as the pass catching TE in favor of Joseph Fauria who had 7 TDs for the Lions as a rookie last year to Pettigrew's 2 receiving TDs. He is not an upgrade over Fasano at all, trust me. His hands are actually worse than Fasano's hands and he is just as slow.

Easy 6
03-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Sign him, don't sign him... don't care either way.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 05:54 PM
It seems that most of you think that Pettigrew is some great TE who will instantly improve our pass catching ability in the middle of the field.

Wrong. Never said he was great. Never even said he was "good". He's better than Fasano and that's an ABSOLUTE fact.

He was being phased out of Detroit as the pass catching TE in favor of Joseph Fauria who had 7 TDs for the Lions as a rookie last year to Pettigrew's 2 receiving TDs.

Pettigrew was being phased out because he can't stay healthy and he's not nearly as athletic as Fauria.

He is not an upgrade over Fasano at all, trust me.

He absolutely is. Fasano is cold dog shit.

Red Dawg
03-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Yeah, that's why he lost snaps to Joseph Fauria when it came down to the Red Zone. It seems that most of you think that Pettigrew is some great TE who will instantly improve our pass catching ability in the middle of the field. He was being phased out of Detroit as the pass catching TE in favor of Joseph Fauria who had 7 TDs for the Lions as a rookie last year to Pettigrew's 2 receiving TDs. He is not an upgrade over Fasano at all, trust me. His hands are actually worse than Fasano's hands and he is just as slow.

Yeah whatever. Five teams are making a point to try and sign him and why? Because he sucks. He is better than what we have. That is not even debateable.

Big Poppa Payne
03-13-2014, 05:57 PM
What I'm excited about is by Thanksgiving time the Chiefs will be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and that will be one less stressor in my life.

SAUTO
03-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Sign him, don't sign him... don't care either way.

This.

OldSchool
Wrong. Never said he was great. Never even said he was "good". He's better than Fasano and that's an ABSOLUTE fact.

Pettigrew was being phased out because he can't stay healthy and he's not nearly as athletic as Fauria.

He absolutely is. Fasano is cold dog shit.

He isn't better than Fasano. Fasano was dinged up for most of last year but his hands are a lot better than Pettigrew's. Pettigrew was being phased out because he struggles as a pass catcher and was completely unreliable; they decided that going with a rookie in crucial situations was a better option for them. A healthy Fasano is better than a healthy Pettigrew, he's crap in the passing game and will piss an infinite amount of people off with his drops if he comes here and has any significant playing time.

Hell, McGrath is a better and more dependable option as a pass catcher.

htismaqe
Yeah whatever. Five teams are making a point to try and sign him and why? Because he sucks. He is better than what we have. That is not even debateable.

Just wait until he signs here.

http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/CHIEFS-FANS.gif

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 06:01 PM

Nah, it's cause they think they can fix him and he'll be, at worst, a solid blocking TE with limited effectiveness in the passing game. He's never had over 5 TDs in a season despite the pass happy nature of the Lions offenses that he's played in.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Nah, it's cause they think they can fix him and he'll be, at worst, a solid blocking TE with limited effectiveness in the passing game. He's never had over 5 TDs in a season despite the pass happy nature of the Lions offenses that he's played in.

He's had 2 70+ catch seasons. That's better than Fasano's top 4 seasons.

COMBINED.

saphojunkie
03-13-2014, 06:05 PM
In Pettigrew's defense, if you have Calvin Johnson on your team, you have no excuse for ever throwing to anyone else, ever, for any reason, whatsoever, under any circumstance.

Period.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:08 PM
In Pettigrew's defense, if you have Calvin Johnson on your team, you have no excuse for ever throwing to anyone else, ever, for any reason.

Period.

In 2010, Calvin Johnson had 77 catches. Pettigrew had 71.

In 2011, Calvin Johnson had 96 catchs. Pettigrew had 83.

The idea that Fasano is better than Pettigrew is just plain laughable.

It's pure homer bullshit.

BigMeatballDave
03-13-2014, 06:09 PM
He's definitely an upgrade over Fasano.

Blackbob is retarded.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:11 PM

He had 83 catches in 2011. More than any WR currently on our roster not named Dwayne Bowe has EVER had in a single season. And Bowe's best season was only 3 catches more (86). Notice I didn't say TE, I said WIDE RECEIVER.

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 06:12 PM
He's had 2 70+ catch seasons. That's better than Fasano's top 4 seasons.

COMBINED.

So? He still led all TEs in drop rates for that season and had less than 5 TDs in each of those seasons and also had a very low YPC average. So he's not a red zone threat, not a dynamic play maker, and has inconsistent hands. But he's an upgrade because of raw catch numbers from a QB who led the league in attempts in virtually every season since 2011?

Couple that with the fact that, despite having all of those catches, he hasn't come close to 1k yards and he has been in the decline as a pass catcher over the past 2 seasons and the team that he's leaving needs another TE but didn't see enough in him to franchise tag him on the cheapest tag there is?

I think he's led all TEs in the league, or is among the league leaders, in drops since he's been in the league.

Simply Red
03-13-2014, 06:13 PM
They won't close him - just watch. Our executives are not savvy.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 06:13 PM

I guess basic math is beyond your comprehension?

Yeah. Math. Does this apply to drops as well, or do they not count in your world?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/03/three-year-drop-rate-tight-ends/

Most Dropped Balls

Let’s start by looking at which players have dropped the most balls – Detroit and San Francisco fans may want to look away. It won’t take much figuring out to realize that Vernon Davis and Brandon Pettigrew led all tight ends in the league, with 24 drops over the past three years. If there’s any consolation both men appear to be getting better, with six drops for Pettigrew last year, and just five for Davis after drop his plagued 2009 and 2010 campaigns. Behind them, Brent Celek had two more than both Dallas Clark and Dustin Keller who rounded out the top five.

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 06:14 PM
There's a reason why Lions fans come up with memes like this for him:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/50/500d5f164ec665c92dc4d94a38cd198ba953f9228d6c8cc1e5aea4948fdf0963.jpg

htismaqe
So? He still led all TEs in drop rates for that season and had less than 5 TDs in each of those seasons and also had a very low YPC average. So he's not a red zone threat, not a dynamic play maker, and has inconsistent hands. But he's an upgrade because of raw catch numbers from a QB who led the league in attempts in virtually every season since 2011?

Couple that with the fact that, despite having all of those catches, he hasn't come close to 1k yards and he has been in the decline as a pass catcher over the past 2 seasons and the team that he's leaving needs another TE but didn't see enough in him to franchise tag him on the cheapest tag there is?

I think he's led all TEs in the league, or is among the league leaders, in drops since he's been in the league.

And he's still better than Fasano.

saphojunkie
In 2010, Calvin Johnson had 77 catches. Pettigrew had 71.

In 2011, Calvin Johnson had 96 catchs. Pettigrew had 83.

The idea that Fasano is better than Pettigrew is just plain laughable.

It's pure homer bullshit.

Totally. Injuries are clearly a concern, but I think it's obvious there is value there that can prevent the Chiefs from HAVING to go in a certain direction in the draft.

Let's say Jace Amaro and Odell Beckham are there at 23. If we have Pettigrew in the fold, we might be able to trade back and just say "let's see who falls to us."

I think Dorsey is doing exactly what he did last year - loading up on low-to-mid guys who can fill a void but also be upgraded. Sets us up for options later.

RippedmyFlesh
03-13-2014, 06:15 PM
They said they would have no problem taking an OT in the 1st round if one of the top ones fell to them. Meaning:

Robinson
Matthews
Lewan
Martin

Martin is the most likely one and everyone will be praying for him to be taken ahead of the Chiefs, lol. But it looks like a bunch of teams, Dolphins for instance, who need OL are filling those holes in FA. I don't think anyone will take a guard in the top 20 this year and Martin's best fit may be Guard in the NFL. If he really is there, Dorsey and Reid are going to have a hard time passing him up, lol.

CP will explode.

Danny Watkins part 2 would be a turrible pick as Barkley would say.

BigMeatballDave
Is Mi chief fan and Oldschool having a retard competition?

htismaqe
Yeah. Math. Does this apply to drops as well, or do they not count in your world?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/03/three-year-drop-rate-tight-ends/

Most Dropped Balls

Let’s start by looking at which players have dropped the most balls – Detroit and San Francisco fans may want to look away. It won’t take much figuring out to realize that Vernon Davis and Brandon Pettigrew led all tight ends in the league, with 24 drops over the past three years. If there’s any consolation both men appear to be getting better, with six drops for Pettigrew last year, and just five for Davis after drop his plagued 2009 and 2010 campaigns. Behind them, Brent Celek had two more than both Dallas Clark and Dustin Keller who rounded out the top five.

ROFL

You just proved my fucking point for me.

saphojunkie
There's a reason why Lions fans come up with memes like this for him:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/50/500d5f164ec665c92dc4d94a38cd198ba953f9228d6c8cc1e5aea4948fdf0963.jpg

Because Lions fans are bad at comedy?

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 06:19 PM
ROFL

You just proved my ****ing point for me.

Yeah, I proved he drops more passes than most TEs.

MotherfuckerJones
03-13-2014, 06:19 PM
He's way better than Fasano. Way better than anything we've had since TG left.

-King-
03-13-2014, 06:20 PM
I was wondering why he wasn't getting much attention. He's not a bad TE at all. He's not a great playmaker, but he does what you expect a TE to do. Would be a very good signing.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I proved he drops more passes than most TEs.

TEs like Vernon Davis, one of the best in the game.

ROFL

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Eh, whatever. Just don't bitch and moan when you see him drop his first pass as a Chief, or see him go down quickly every time after he manages to catch the ball, or see him be completely useless in the Red Zone. I think it's a parallel move for a guy who's hands aren't even as good as Fasano's and McGrath's.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Eh, whatever. Just don't bitch and moan when you see him drop his first pass as a Chief, or see him go down quickly every time after he manages to catch the ball, or see him be completely useless in the Red Zone. I think it's a parallel move for a guy who's hands aren't even as good as Fasano's and McGrath's.

He's WAY better than Fasano.

saphojunkie
03-13-2014, 06:24 PM
I was wondering why he wasn't getting much attention. He's not a bad TE at all. He's not a great playmaker, but he does what you expect a TE to do. Would be a very good signing.

There aren't that many playmaking TE in the league.

Cameron, Vernon, Graham... uh... Gronkowski when healthy (which is never)... Uh, help me out...

-King-
03-13-2014, 06:24 PM

Most Dropped Balls

Seeing as how he averages more than 200 more yards per year than Fasano, I'll take the drops.

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 06:25 PM
TEs like Vernon Davis, one of the best in the game.

ROFL

VD is one of the best because he is actually the most dynamic TE threat in the league. He has never had great hands though they've improved over the years, he still body catches a ton of passes. The difference is, he's able to do it because he can break free of defenders vs having to always make contested catches.

So you're saying that you think Pettigrew is on par with VD as a play maker down the field?

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:27 PM
Seeing as how he averages more than 200 more yards per year than Fasano, I'll take the drops.

MI also failed to even acknowledge the part where the author said Pettigrew was improving.

It's just funny.

It would be like me saying Alex Smith sucks and then posting some negative stat that compares him to Peyton Manning.

If drops mattered THAT much, how come the guy that has just as many as Pettigrew is one of the best TE in the entire fucking league?

Alex Smith needs help. We need to get it for him any way we can.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:27 PM
VD is one of the best because he is actually the most dynamic TE threat in the league. He has never had great hands though they've improved over the years, he still body catches a ton of passes. The difference is, he's able to do it because he can break free of defenders vs having to always make contested catches.

So you're saying that you think Pettigrew is on par with VD as a play maker down the field?

Of course, that's exactly what I'm saying.

ROFL

BigMeatballDave
03-13-2014, 06:28 PM
LMAO Blackbob

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Of course, that's exactly what I'm saying.

ROFL

You're saying Pettigrew is dynamic?

DTLB58
This would be a great signing. Pettigrew has upside.

Is that anything like potential?

The Bad Guy
If you think Fasano is better than Pettigrew then you clearly are fucking stupid.

KCrockaholic
03-13-2014, 06:30 PM
I'd rather draft Eric Ebron than mess around with Pettigrew.

The Bad Guy
If he gets signed, and I have no idea the level of interest, Fasano has to go.

-King-
There aren't that many playmaking TE in the league.

Cameron, Vernon, Graham... uh... Gronkowski when healthy (which is never)... Uh, help me out...

Yeah I agree. I think people see those types of tight ends and think everybody should be like that. That's why it was funny to me that people were suggesting that big playmaking tight ends were the hot new thing in the league. People don't realize how hard it is to find players that big and that good at making plays. Tight End will never be a playmaking position. A tight end that averages 565 yards per season would be a good addition on most teams.

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 06:31 PM
He's WAY better than Fasano.

That's why he's never broken 5 TDs in a season despite playing in a pass happy offense.

Fasano has at least scored 7 TDs in a season in 2008 while playing with crap at the QB position. Pettigrew has never broken the 5 td barrier even once in his career despite all of those targets.Fasano has had 3 seasons of 5+ TDs, Pettigrew has 1 to his name. Fasano is easily the better Red Zone threat, which is what you want your TE to be at the very least.

Pettigrew had 2 TDs in 14 games last year.

Fasano had 3 TDs in 9 games.

Again, Fasano is the superior pass catcher especially in the Red Zone.

Neither of these guys are dynamic play makers.

KCrockaholic
03-13-2014, 06:32 PM
If he gets signed, and I have no idea the level of interest, Fasano has go to.

I agree. If Fasano stays, then you're just dropping Kelce further down the depth chart. Kelce needs to be involved with the offense.

The Bad Guy
03-13-2014, 06:32 PM

Then you're going to have to trade up.

Pettigrew has ability. He has lapses too, but he's a plus blocker and has size to create problems.

He's just slower than Devito.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:33 PM
You're saying Pettigrew is dynamic?

Add reading comprehension to the list along with math...

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:33 PM
That's why he's never broken 5 TDs in a season despite playing in a pass happy offense.

Fasano has at least scored 7 TDs in a season in 2008 while playing with crap at the QB position. Pettigrew has never broken the 5 td barrier even once in his career despite all of those targets.Fasano has had 3 seasons of 5+ TDs, Pettigrew has 1 to his name. Fasano is easily the better Red Zone threat, which is what you want your TE to be at the very least.

Pettigrew had 2 TDs in 14 games last year.

Fasano had 3 TDs in 9 games.

Again, Fasano is the superior pass catcher especially in the Red Zone.

Neither of these guys are dynamic play makers.

Did Fasano send you a care package by chance?

KCrockaholic
03-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Then you're going to have to trade up.

Then I'll go with the "neither" option. And Kelce can step up. Focus on strengthening this WR group in the draft, and add a veteran.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 06:36 PM
If you think Fasano is better than Pettigrew then you clearly are ****ing stupid.

Hey I'm NOT saying that. I get to see a lot of Detroit Lions football unfortunately, and Pettigrew is a chronic underachiever. He's slow, has average hands,and is an average blocker. I don't really see an upside to him. Sorry that the argument "he's less bad than what we have" doesn't make sense to me.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Then I'll go with the "neither" option. And Kelce can step up. Focus on strengthening this WR group in the draft, and add a veteran.

Yep.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-13-2014, 06:38 PM
We are down one Brandon & the handle Pettigrew is a perfect fit for DC
WIn Win

htismaqe
Hey I'm NOT saying that. I get to see a lot of Detroit Lions football unfortunately, and Pettigrew is a chronic underachiever. He's slow, has average hands,and is an average blocker. I don't really see an upside to him. Sorry that the argument "he's less bad than what we have" doesn't make sense to me.

Why not?

If you're not willing to entertain a "slight" upgrade, you're obviously content with what we have, are you not?

OldSchool
According to the New York Daily News, the Jets will sign TE Brandon Pettigrew shortly.
It's an upgrade on Zach Sudfeld and Jeff Cumberland, but it's far from a difference-making acquisition. Pettigrew is a plodding, catch-and-fall guy in the passing game that has averaged 9.95 yards per reception in his five-year career. He's also been a liability when blocking in the run game. Pettigrew will barely be on the TE2 radar with Geno Smith and the Jets. Mar 13 - 3:43 PM

NFL Network's Mike Silver names the Giants, Jets, Texans, Raiders, and Lions as possible landing spots for free agent Brandon Pettigrew.
Early-offseason chatter had the Lions potentially franchise tagging Pettigrew, the idea of which now looks foolish. He's been connected to a bevy of teams but almost certainly not getting the financial offers he's seeking. Pettigrew is 29 years old with shaky hands and no dynamic elements to his receiving game. Mar 12 - 10:40 AM
Source: Mike Silver on Twitter

The Detroit Free Press reports "odds are" the Lions and free agent Brandon Pettigrew won't agree to a new deal before the weekend.
Once the clock strikes midnight on Friday night/Saturday morning, all 32 teams will be able to negotiate with Pettigrew and every other free agent. The Lions hold exclusive negotiating rights until then and would like to get a long-term deal done with Pettigrew, but it doesn't look promising for GM Martin Mayhew. Pettigrew is said to be seeking over $6 million annually. That'd be a severe overpay.

The Oakland Press suggests free agent Brandon Pettigrew's cost to the Lions will be similar to Dennis Pitta's five-year, $32 million contract.
The Lions are interested in bringing Pettigrew back, but his cost should be considerably less than $6.4 million annually. Then-OC Scott Linehan decreased his role last season, losing snaps to Joseph Fauria in red-zone situations and overall simply being utilized less in the pass game. Already 29, Pettigrew struggles mightily as a pass catcher and has little to no playmaking ability. Giving Pettigrew "Pitta money" would instantly be one of free agency's biggest overpays.

GM Martin Mayhew wouldn't rule out using the franchise tag on free agent TE Brandon Pettigrew.
It's likely a case of Mayhew not wanting to insult a player in the media. There's no way Pettigrew is worth anything near the projected $6.7 million it would cost for the Lions to keep him on a one-year franchise tender -- especially since they're already over the cap. He's long been a lead-footed, drop-prone tight end and has never eclipsed 777 yards or five touchdowns in a season. The Lions will likely let Pettigrew test the market before making a team-friendly offer.

Brandon Pettigrew may have played his last down with the Lions.
He was placed on I.R. Wednesday with a high ankle sprain, and is headed for unrestricted free agency. Although Pettigrew's pass-catching efficiency was up this year, he's never developed into more than an underneath target in the passing game and will be looking to max out on the open market approaching age 29. On tape, Pettigrew has long been a frustrating player to watch.

Don't take my word for it if you don't want to, but the national media and his local media pretty much agrees with what I'm saying.

If you want to upgrade Fasano, that's fine, but look at someone more worthwhile than Pettigrew.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:39 PM

And when Kelce doesn't step up?

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Don't take my word for it if you don't want to, but the national media and his local media pretty much agrees with what I'm saying.

If you want to upgrade Fasano, that's fine, but look at someone more worthwhile than Pettigrew.

Dude, you're not paying attention.

You started this conversation saying Fasano was better than Pettigrew.

You got beat down.

And now you're trying to convince us that Pettigrew is a run-of-the-mill player.

Nobody said he was "great". Nobody even said he was GOOD.

We said you were wrong. He is better than Fasano. And NONE of those things you just posted are even relevant to that point.

BigMeatballDave
03-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Right now, Kelce is a complete unknown.

The Bad Guy
03-13-2014, 06:42 PM

Sorry, guys with average hands don't catch 71 passes. That argument doesn't fly at all.

At OK State he was a fantastic blocker. He's been a good blocker in the pros.

He's an upgrade, a large one over Fasano.

Simply Red
03-13-2014, 06:42 PM
And when Kelce doesn't step up?

Then (as usual) straight up the ass we take it.

http://i.imgur.com/ImEwmDX.gif

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Why not?

If you're not willing to entertain a "slight" upgrade, you're obviously content with what we have, are you not?

Oh, I would, I'm just not convinced he would be. Maybe he would be. Who knows?

BigMeatballDave
03-13-2014, 06:43 PM

Water is wet.

He'll be gone.

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Dude, you're not paying attention.

You started this conversation saying Fasano was better than Pettigrew.

You got beat down.

And now you're trying to convince us that Pettigrew is a run-of-the-mill player.

Nobody said he was "great". Nobody even said he was GOOD.

We said you were wrong. He is better than Fasano. And NONE of those things you just posted are even relevant to that point.

Fasano is a better pass catcher when he's healthy. He has better hands than Pettigrew does. That's a fact.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Right now, Kelce is a complete unknown.

Exactly.

If he blossoms, great. We don't have to depend on guys like Pettigrew anymore.

If he doesn't, we've literally got NOTHING at the position.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Fasano is a better pass catcher when he's healthy. He has better hands than Pettigrew does. That's a fact.

ROFL

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Oh, I would, I'm just not convinced he would be. Maybe he would be. Who knows?

He's a BIG upgrade over Fasano.

I'd love to have a guy like Ebron or Amaro. But it's just not happening.

Would you rather have Pettigrew or Jermichael Finley?

Or would you rather just go into next season with the same 3 guys we used last year?

Because that's what we're faced with, when it comes down to it.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Sorry, guys with average hands don't catch 71 passes. That argument doesn't fly at all.

He actually caught 83 in 2011.

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Water is wet.

He'll be gone.

There's a possibility he's still there at 23.

The teams who need a TE are currently filling that position up via FA and there are still other options in the draft. Ebron has concentration issues and, while he is a great athlete for his size, he's still not quite the "Vernon Davis" level of an athlete that'll get him selected in the top 10.

Last year, with the TE position all the rage, the first TE to go was Tyler Eifert. He lasted until the 21st pick in the draft and he was a more polished and consistent pass catcher than Ebron is while possessing similar measurables.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Sorry, guys with average hands don't catch 71 passes.That argument doesn't fly at all.

At OK State he was a fantastic blocker. He's been a good blocker in the pros.

He's an upgrade, a large one over Fasano.

Well, he was targeted 104 times.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 06:52 PM
He's a BIG upgrade over Fasano.

I'd love to have a guy like Ebron or Amaro. But it's just not happening.

Would you rather have Pettigrew or Jermichael Finley?

Or would you rather just go into next season with the same 3 guys we used last year?

Because that's what we're faced with, when it comes down to it.

I'd take Pettigrew over Finley, at least he is durable and will at least block some of the time. Man, that's what we're stuck with? That is depressing.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Well, he wastargeted 104 times.

And he had only 6 drops the next season, to go along with 83 receptions.

He was improving, prior to the injuries.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:53 PM
I'd take Pettigrew over Finley, at least he is durable and will at least block some of the time. Man, that's what we're stuck with? That is depressing.

Why should it be depressing?

You know what's depressing? Thinking about another season of Anthony Fasano and Duck Dynasty as our top 2 guys.

The only thing potentially saving us at this point is a guy coming off of micro fracture surgery.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 06:55 PM
I guess I can hope Kelce can become a weapon. Didn't watch him much in college, admittedly I know nothing about him.

Sorter
03-13-2014, 06:58 PM
I guess I can hope Kelce can become a weapon. Didn't watch him much in college, admittedly I know nothing about him.

He's definitely got some intriguing aspects.

Problem is, microfracture surgery is a fucking cunt.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:58 PM

He's a prototype TE. He's not ever going to be a big time receiving threat IMO. But he's solid all the way around. Good hands, pretty athletic, really good blocker.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Problem is, microfracture surgery is a fucking cunt.

there's that too.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 06:59 PM
And he had only 6 drops the next season, to go along with 83 receptions.

He was improving, prior to the injuries.

Down to 41 this year, but maybe that can be attributed to trying to run a little more with Bell & Bush, or not having another NFL caliber receiver opposite of Megatron. I know the Lions are really high on Fauria. And he was undrafted.

MotherfuckerJones
03-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Give me Pettigrew and Sanders. I'll be ready to add. FS and head to the draft.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Down to 41 this year, but maybe that can be attributed to trying to run a little more with Bell & Bush, or not having another NFL caliber receiver opposite of Megatron. I know the Lions are really high on Fauria. And he was undrafted.

Fauria has bloodlines. He's more athletic than Pettigrew IMO.

Pettigrew has struggled the last couple of years. He had several little nagging injuries this year and ultimately ended up on IR.

The Lions tried to resign him last year and apparently even thought about tagging him at one point.

ThaVirus
03-13-2014, 07:07 PM

In fairness, Fauria is younger and something like 6'7". He's a great redzone target they want to start working into the lineup.

Funny you say this. Fasano literally dropped not only his first pass as a Chief but the first of this past season against Jacksonville.. And Fasano is pretty much worthless after the catch.

Micjones
03-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Give me Pettigrew and Sanders. I'll be ready to add. FS and head to the draft.

Hell yeah. Wow.

Coach
03-13-2014, 07:12 PM

Or maybe because the Lions just sucks ass in general as a team?

I'm all for this signing, because Kelce may not even be able to stay healthy, and that microfracture surgery he had? That could ultimately hurt him.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 07:18 PM

I'm all for this signing, because Kelce may not even be able to stay healthy, and that microfracture surgery he had? That could ultimately hurt him.
That's...hard to argue. They kept bringing back Gunther year after year. I think they did finally let him go recently.

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Fauria has bloodlines. He's more athletic than Pettigrew IMO.

Pettigrew has struggled the last couple of years. He had several little nagging injuries this year and ultimately ended up on IR.

The Lions tried to resign him last year and apparently even thought about tagging him at one point.

It would've been sports radio gold had they tagged him. Would have loved it just for the entertainment.

Coach
03-13-2014, 07:26 PM
That's...hard to argue. They kept bringing back Gunther year after year. I think they did finally let him go recently.

Nope. Promoted.

The Detroit Lions are keeping their former defensive coordinator on staff as a senior coaching assistant for the 2014 season.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Gunther-Cunningham-is-excited-for-his-new-role-with-Lions/b9ddbb31-0afb-4d21-be4e-91e4c8efa7b4

Mi_chief_fan
03-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Nope. Promoted.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Gunther-Cunningham-is-excited-for-his-new-role-with-Lions/b9ddbb31-0afb-4d21-be4e-91e4c8efa7b4

I don't think that's a promotion from DC, but....wow. I don't have the words.

Sfeihc
03-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Pass on Pettigrew. Bad hands. Between him and Bowe they would push 20+ drops a season easy.

J Diddy
03-13-2014, 07:44 PM

Reading that book would be painful.

Ragged Robin
03-13-2014, 07:48 PM
No thanks, Ebron will be waiting for us in the 1st round

-King-
03-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Pass on Pettigrew. Bad hands. Between him and Bowe they would push 20+ drops a season easy.

He had good enough hands to get 71 and 83 receptions. I'll take that anyday from a tight end.

Coach
03-13-2014, 08:01 PM

I think it is, since if there's a HC, then Assistant coaches, I think the "Senior" coaching assistant to me, sounds like between the HC and AC.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 08:03 PM
No thanks, Ebron will be waiting for us in the 1st round

Sign Pettigrew to a one-year deal, draft Ebron, profit.

Seriously, banking on Ebron to be there is a silly gamble.

Sorter
03-13-2014, 08:11 PM

Worst case scenario, he's never the same.

I couldn't rely on Kelce (through no real fault of his own, despite how lackluster his PS was). If you add a significant player to the TE group and Kelce pans out, you're fucking set for quite a while.

If you add one and Kelce doesn't pan out, you've improved the position group while adding a pass catching option for a variety of personnel groupings. Depending on the player (ASJ), you've also likely improved your blocking on 2Te groupings, whether it be from under center or from the gun.

htismaqe
03-13-2014, 08:13 PM

I couldn't rely on Kelce (through no real fault of his own, despite how lackluster his PS was). If you add a significant player to the TE group and Kelce pans out, you're fucking set for quite a while.

If you add one and Kelce doesn't pan out, you've improved the position group while adding a pass catching option for a variety of personnel groupings. Depending on the player (ASJ), you've also likely improved your blocking on 2Te groupings, whether it be from under center or from the gun.

This.

Don't bank on Kelce. Let him be a pleasant surprise.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Dude sucks. Horrendous YPC for his career

BossChief
03-13-2014, 09:49 PM
He's definitely got some intriguing aspects.

Problem is, microfracture surgery is a ****ing ****.

That's why they should draft Jace Amaro if they can...or (my preference) use a pick from next years draft to move up to draft Ebron.

Next years draft is gonna be weak and Ebron would be fucking outstanding in this offense.

BossChief
03-13-2014, 09:53 PM

I couldn't rely on Kelce (through no real fault of his own, despite how lackluster his PS was). If you add a significant player to the TE group and Kelce pans out, you're ****ing set for quite a while.

I wonder how slow ASJ will run. Had to be a reason he didnt run at the combine.

Bowser
03-13-2014, 09:54 PM
WE SHOULD HOLD ON TO FASANO BECAUSE HE'S ALREADY A CHIEF AND STUFF

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 09:55 PM
I wonder how slow ASJ will run. Had to be a reason he didnt run at the combine.

Wasn't it a medical issue?

OldSchool
03-13-2014, 09:58 PM
WE SHOULD HOLD ON TO FASANO BECAUSE HE'S ALREADY A CHIEF AND STUFF

If we release him it'll only save us about $900k. His cap number is $4.28 mil but we'll take a $3.38 hit for releasing him this year. Just not a smart way to spend your money.

BossChief
03-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Honestly, I'm not even truly interested in Pettigrew.

I may get blasted for this, but I don't see a wide gap between what he brings and what our tight ends from last year brought to the team.

The guy is one of the most overrated players and really has only had one big year (777 yards and 5 scores haha) and plays in an offense that throws the ball 700 times per season.

I'd rather sign a guy like Fred Davis if they want to sign a TE.

Titty Meat
03-13-2014, 10:08 PM

I may get blasted for this, but I don't see a wide gap between what he brings and what our tight ends from last year brought to the team.

The guy is one of the most overrated players and really has only had one big year (777 yards and 5 scores haha) and plays in an offense that throws the ball 700 times per season.

Fred Davis? Dude is suspended.

MotherfuckerJones
03-13-2014, 10:08 PM

:facepalm: he's been busted like 3 times lately

mcaj22
03-13-2014, 10:09 PM
well Fred Davis would certainly fit the mold with the Joe Mays and Jeff Poopnfarts so you are at least accurate in that regard.

BossChief
03-13-2014, 10:10 PM
OK. Then Ed Dickson...or Allen Reisner.

Why Not?
03-13-2014, 10:14 PM
He had good enough hands to get 71 and 83 receptions. I'll take that anyday from a tight end.

And he is very capable of posting numbers like that again....as long as we can trade for Megatron.

I'm all for upgrading the TE position. Pettigrew is not a true upgrade.

BossChief
03-13-2014, 10:16 PM
It's too bad Tony Gonzalez is working for CBS...

Fat Elvis
03-13-2014, 10:32 PM
No.

OldSchool
03-14-2014, 05:05 AM
It's an upgrade on Zach Sudfeld and Jeff Cumberland, but it's far from a difference-making acquisition. Pettigrew is a plodding, catch-and-fall guy in the passing game that has averaged 9.95 yards per reception in his five-year career. He's also been a liability when blocking in the run game. Pettigrew will barely be on the TE2 radar with Geno Smith and the Jets.
Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter Mar 13 - 3:43 PM]

Well, that's that. He wasn't going to come here for a backup job.

ForeverChiefs58
03-14-2014, 05:12 AM
Report: Brandon Pettigrew agrees to deal to return to Lions

One of Matthew Stafford’s most reliable targets is set to return to the Detroit Lions.

According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, tight end Brandon Pettigrew has agreed to terms on a four-year, $16 million deal with $8 million guaranteed to return to the Lions.

Pettigrew is on his way back to Detroit Friday morning to take a physical and sign the deal.

Pettigrew was one of the top tight ends available on the free agent market and had drawn interest from several teams before electing to stick with the Lions. Detroit had one of the most explosive offenses in the league last season. Pettigrew, Calvin Johnson and Nate Burleson primarily led the way for an offense that finished sixth in total yards and third in passing yards for the season.

With the addition of receiver Golden Tate from Seattle to pair with Johnson, and Pettigrew returning to town, the Lions could be even more explosive offensively next season.

Pettigrew appeared in 14 games for the Lions last season and posted 41 catches for 416 yards and two touchdowns. For his career, Pettigrew has 284 catches for 2,828 yards and 16 touchdowns in five seasons in Detroit.

Sure-Oz
03-14-2014, 06:26 AM
Oh well.

03-14-2014, 06:31 AM
Yay!

Sfeihc
03-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Whew. Now sign Sanders today.

Rausch
03-14-2014, 07:15 AM
Whew. Now sign Sanders today.

This...

Mecca
03-14-2014, 07:15 AM
Drop rate is the stupidest fucking stat in the history of football stats. The best players in the league always lead that stat know why? Cause they get more opportunities that's fucking why.

Wildcat2005
03-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Drop rate is the stupidest ****ing stat in the history of football stats. The best players in the league always lead that stat know why? Cause they get more opportunities that's ****ing why.

bolded for importance

htismaqe
03-14-2014, 07:44 AM
If we release him it'll only save us about $900k. His cap number is $4.28 mil but we'll take a $3.38 hit for releasing him this year. Just not a smart way to spend your money.

Signing him to that kind of coin in the first place is not a smart way to spend your money.

He fucking sucks.

htismaqe
03-14-2014, 07:45 AM
Detroit thinks he sucks SO bad they re-signed him.

ROFL

htismaqe
03-14-2014, 07:46 AM
Well, that's that. He wasn't going to come here for a backup job.

That report was from 3:30 yesterday afternoon. There were multiple reports after that that he wasn't interested in the Jets anymore.

:facepalm:

03-14-2014, 11:30 AM

ROFL

Model franchise

BryanBusby
03-14-2014, 11:31 AM

ROFL
He sucks and the Lions are dumb.

tecumseh
03-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Thaey didn't know what they had in Pettigrew. He fits right in.

saphojunkie
03-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Emmanuel Sanders + Jace Amaro.

BryanBusby
03-14-2014, 11:37 AM
I don't get the fascination with Amaro, either.

OldSchool
03-14-2014, 12:04 PM
I don't get the fascination with Amaro, either.

I think they just really hate Fasano, lol.

I'd rather take Lyerla in the 6th than take Amaro in the 1st.

rico
03-14-2014, 12:09 PM

You know who loves the way Fasano runs??? Michael Sam (I assume).

saphojunkie
03-14-2014, 12:32 PM

You'd rather take a tight end that got suspended, quit the team, and got busted with cocaine.

Gotcha.

I'd rather NOT gamble, and... I don't know... actually have a player that I don't have to cross my fingers and pray will actually see the field.