PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft I'm drafting for the Texans in the 2014 CP Mock. Who's your #1 overall?

Direckshun
03-14-2014, 11:26 AM
The 2014 ChiefsPlanet Mock, easily the best thing ChiefsPlanet has every year, is nearly upon us.

I have the enviable task of turning the Texans around and, of course, winning the Draft.

The first brick in my wall is the #1 overall.

I've watched some film of Bridgewater and at this point, I am in love with him enough to make him the #1 pick. I think he has Tom Brady upside.

What say you? Should I change my mind? Manziel? Or Clowney? Or should I go with Kiper and draft Khalil Mack?

Poll forthcoming.

houstonwhodat
03-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Johnny Football.

saphojunkie
03-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Johnny Manziel would be the splashier pick, but Bridgewater fits the team far better.

Direckshun
03-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Johnny Football.

Johnny Football's been my guy all draft season, until I spent extensive time looking at Bridgewater.

Direckshun
03-14-2014, 11:36 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aBuBzYyseTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

chiefscafan
03-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Love Bridgewater

Also love Clowney

Tough decision buddy

Clowney and watts together would be scary

Direckshun
03-14-2014, 11:39 AM
This is pretty impressive, too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AsHSYdNv2C4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Lane
03-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Are there no RT's available?

Poll fail.

RealSNR
03-14-2014, 11:40 AM
A MAC-conference LT with inadequate upperbody strength

OldSchool
03-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Zach Martin. He can play anywhere on your OL.

Direckshun
03-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Zach Martin. He can play anywhere on your OL.

LMAO

Epic.

Simplicity
03-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Would say Bridgewater but Manziel going to Texas A&M and all... idk.

OldSchool
03-14-2014, 11:52 AM
LMAO

Epic.

I actually voted for Clowney btw. Him lining up across from or next to J.J. Watt is just too good of an opportunity to pass up. Plus, once you get him and Watt together in workouts, holy hell man. If Clowney adopts Watt's approach to the game with his elite athleticism, you're looking at 2 FHOF type players in their youth on the same damn team.

RealSNR
03-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Would say Bridgewater but Manziel going to Texas A&M and all... idk.

Did Direckshun go to Texas A&M?

None of that shit matters in the CP Mock. Accuracy isn't the goal.

Chief_For_Life58
03-14-2014, 11:53 AM
A MAC-conference LT with inadequate upperbody strength

this

OldSchool
03-14-2014, 11:55 AM
If I'm the Texans, I draft Clowney in the 1st, trade up for Carr, or sit tight and take the next best guy in the 2nd/ hope that Carr falls to me anyways.

Mav
03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Well, the goal when you draft number one overall is to make sure that you aren't picking there again any time soon.

If you draft Clowney at one, that leaves you as is with a qb roster of Case Keenum, and Matt Schaub.

While Clowney may be a god send, he isn't necessarily a need. At one olb,, they have Merciles, and at the other, they have Brooks Reed. While neither have Clowney freakish abilities, neither are nearly as pitiful as keenum, and Schaub.

Bill O'Brien has stated that his ideal qb would of been Brian Hoyer. If you look at the qbs in the draft that most closely resemble a Brian Hoyer type, smart, accurate, decently mobile, with quick releases, and the ability to make quick decisions, that's easily Teddy Bridgewater.

He is the smartest most accurate of the qbs. he has the least amount of question marks.

You have to take Teddy if you are the Texans. the popular pick? Probably not, but if you have learned anything from the patriots, and from Bill Obrien, the only thing that matters is the wins.

Bill Obrien could care less that Manziel will sell tickets. At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters, is winning.

Do you think that any of those Philly idiots that openly BOOED Donovan McNabb when he was getting his picture taking with Paul Tagliabue really care NOW that they didn't get the "popular pick"?

Do the Texans fans even remember how badly they wanted Vince Young over Reggie Bush, or Mario Williams?

Teddy is the difference between drafting top 10 next year, and not having to draft top 10 for the next decade.

Mav
03-14-2014, 11:59 AM
If I'm the Texans, I draft Clowney in the 1st, trade up for Carr, or sit tight and take the next best guy in the 2nd/ hope that Carr falls to me anyways.

Yeahhhhh, okay. You really think the Texans are going to go that route AGAIN?

If they don't draft a qb at one, then you can start to look at McCarron, or Grappalo.

id bet a years salary that Derek Carr isn't even on the Texans draft board.

The Franchise
03-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Well, the goal when you draft number one overall is to make sure that you aren't picking there again any time soon.

If you draft Clowney at one, that leaves you as is with a qb roster of Case Keenum, and Matt Schaub.

While Clowney may be a god send, he isn't necessarily a need. At one olb,, they have Merciles, and at the other, they have Brooks Reed. While neither have Clowney freakish abilities, neither are nearly as pitiful as keenum, and Schaub.

Bill O'Brien has stated that his ideal qb would of been Brian Hoyer. If you look at the qbs in the draft that most closely resemble a Brian Hoyer type, smart, accurate, decently mobile, with quick releases, and the ability to make quick decisions, that's easily Teddy Bridgewater.

He is the smartest most accurate of the qbs. he has the least amount of question marks.

You have to take Teddy if you are the Texans. the popular pick? Probably not, but if you have learned anything from the patriots, and from Bill Obrien, the only thing that matters is the wins.

Bill Obrien could care less that Manziel will sell tickets. At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters, is winning.

Do you think that any of those Philly idiots that openly BOOED Donovan McNabb when he was getting his picture taking with Paul Tagliabue really care NOW that they didn't get the "popular pick"?

Do the Texans fans even remember how badly they wanted Vince Young over Reggie Bush, or Mario Williams?

Teddy is the difference between drafting top 10 next year, and not having to draft top 10 for the next decade.

Fucking this.

Mugsy
03-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Clowney by a mile. They aren't going to pass on him. The fact that they have Watt to mentor him makes it even more likely imo. If they want to get back into the first and get a QB, they have the ammo to do so. The #33 pick is one teams like.

Johnny Football's been my guy all draft season, until I spent extensive time looking at Bridgewater.

I bet Johnny's there when KC picks.... in real life... Teams won't trust him as a guy they can count on to build their franchise around on or off the field. He's going to get humbled and maybe it will be good for him.

I can't see Bridgewater going number because he's a twig. Teams will picture RG III hobbling around and they'll pass early imo.

Bortles is the most likely to go #1 imo but, the competition he faced was pretty questionable for the most part.

houstonwhodat
03-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Yeahhhhh, okay. You really think the Texans are going to go that route AGAIN?

If they don't draft a qb at one, then you can start to look at McCarron, or Grappalo.

id bet a years salary that Derek Carr isn't even on the Texans draft board.

After the David Carr fiasco if they drafted another one with the 1st pick there would be a mass uprising.

houstonwhodat
03-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Bridgewater - bust

Clowney - meh

Johnny Manziel is the only pick.

But the Texans don't have the guts.

Iconic
03-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Clowney, he's a generational talent that comes out once ever 100000000000000000000 years and Rick Smith drafts by BPA not positional need. The Houston QB situation isn't even THAT bad. Schaub is an adequate starter who can man the deck while their newly drafted 2nd round QB sits out for a year.

Mojo Jojo
03-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Clowney based on impact. I could go with Bridgewater, but I think that comes down to his one on one talks with coaches and workouts.

Mav
03-15-2014, 12:14 AM
Clowney, he's a generational talent that comes out once ever 100000000000000000000 years and Rick Smith drafts by BPA not positional need. The Houston QB situation isn't even THAT bad. Schaub is an adequate starter who can man the deck while their newly drafted 2nd round QB sits out for a year.

It's pretty bad. They lost 14 straight and had a qb throw pick 6's in 5 straight games. Schaub, keenum, if that isn't that bad to you then the chiefs must have hall of famers.

RunKC
03-15-2014, 12:18 AM
Teddy Bridgewater aka the truth

Mr. Flopnuts
03-15-2014, 12:19 AM
You always take the QB. Unless a once in a generational talent is right there. Clowney is that guy. Rare exception. I'd take Clowney.

Miles
03-15-2014, 12:38 AM

They can't realistically start the season with Schaub as the starter and not have fans revolting. Continuing to use Schaub was pretty much the final thread that got Kubiak fired.

Miles
03-15-2014, 12:40 AM
You always take the QB. Unless a once in a generational talent is right there. Clowney is that guy. Rare exception. I'd take Clowney.

I'd probably lean towards that if they don't like Bridgewater.

OldSchool
03-15-2014, 12:40 AM
They can't realistically start the season with Schaub as the starter and not have fans revolting. Continuing to use Schaub was pretty much the final thread that got Kubiak fired.

Think they bring in Mark Sanchez and draft a QBOTF in the 2nd to groom behind him? Lol. That would be pretty funny. Andre Johnson would be pissed.

RippedmyFlesh
03-15-2014, 12:47 AM
As much as I hate vick if they don't go qb they should sign him. Vick is all pro compared to what they have now.

RealSNR
03-15-2014, 12:51 AM
Teddy Bridgewater aka the truth

He'll be hearing from Rashaan Shehee's lawyers very soon.

Iconic
03-15-2014, 12:51 AM
It's pretty bad. They lost 14 straight and had a qb throw pick 6's in 5 straight games. Schaub, keenum, if that isn't that bad to you then the chiefs must have hall of famers.

The monumental collapse in Houston was more than just Schaub- Gary's lack of adjustments and Wade's horrible scheme had A LOT to do with that mess... Schaub is a mediocre stop gap that can take care of business while the Texans groom their man. He was a pro bowler two years ago and went to the playoffs in 2012.

RealSNR
03-15-2014, 12:54 AM
The monumental collapse in Kansas City was more than just Cassel- Daboll's lack of adjustments and Romeo's horrible scheme had A LOT to do with that mess... Cassel is a mediocre stop gap that can take care of business while the Chiefs groom their man. He was a pro bowler three years ago and went to the playoffs in 2010.

FYP

Iconic
03-15-2014, 12:57 AM

A bit of nostalgia seems to be creeping up right now; this situation is similar to the Cassel one we had a few years ago. If the Texans draft a QBOTF and keep Schaub for a year I don't think fans reaction would be as hostile....

The only reason I'm even saying this about Schaub is because no one is willing to trade for his contract and the Texans can't go into next year with question marks at the QB situation. IMO, this is the most logical option to me.

Iconic
03-15-2014, 12:58 AM
FYP

I knew that comparison was coming... I even noticed it as I was typing that shit up lol.

In58men
03-15-2014, 01:01 AM
J-Man

Mugsy
03-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Tight race - I do like Bridgewater and he would be my second choice.

Rausch
03-15-2014, 07:06 AM
More for Johnny Football than Bortles?...

:doh!:

Mav
03-15-2014, 07:50 AM
More for Johnny Football than Bortles?...

:doh!:

The numbers kind of exposed Bortles. His third down completion percentage was 20 points lower than his 1st and 2nd down percentage. He threw 9 picks in for games against ranked opponents. The competition factor really hurts his case.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Midget Manziel

Eleazar
03-15-2014, 08:51 AM
a GM drafting Manziel at #1 overall would pretty much be saying "I'm putting in my notice, and I'm going to make sure I'm never a GM again while I'm at it."

Eleazar
03-15-2014, 08:52 AM
The numbers kind of exposed Bortles. His third down completion percentage was 20 points lower than his 1st and 2nd down percentage. He threw 9 picks in for games against ranked opponents. The competition factor really hurts his case.

It's a choice between someone who has the tools needed to play the QB position in the NFL, and someone who doesn't.

Bowser
03-15-2014, 08:57 AM
-Bridgewater
-Clowney
-Manziel

Probably in that order. Count me in the group of QB first, especially with a new coaching staff and system, but could you imagine Clowney and Watt lining up next to each other? Would be awfully tempting, especially considering have to go against Andrew Luck twice a year....

houstonwhodat
03-15-2014, 09:11 AM
Bridgewater = Geno Smith.

No better.

RealSNR
03-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Manziel is going to be such a piece of shit QB in the NFL.

I have no idea why any NFL team would waste 1st round draft stock on that turd.

Bowser
03-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Manziel is going to be such a piece of shit QB in the NFL.

I have no idea why any NFL team would waste 1st round draft stock on that turd.

I agree. NFL defenses are going to eat him alive.

greatgooglymoogly
03-15-2014, 10:41 AM
ESPN had a poll like this up and Bridgewater wasn't even an option :doh!:

Mav
03-15-2014, 11:44 AM

No better.

Stupidest comparison ever. The only thing they have in common is their skin color. Complete opposites as qbs.

RunKC
03-15-2014, 12:50 PM

No better.

Please stop posting stupid comparisons that make no sense. Thanks.

DTLB58
03-15-2014, 02:18 PM
New head coach, 1st overall pick, there are QB's available, If you don't pick one you better have a hell of a backup plan. Especially if one of these guys goes elsewhere and tares it up.

I think you gotta go QB. That's why you hired this head coach.

SAUTO
03-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Stupidest comparison ever. The only thing they have in common is their skin color. Complete opposites as qbs.

He's a racist piece of shit
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Sorry but if they draft Manziel they have a better shot at winning games than any other draft pick would bring them. Clowney won't win them games. Bridgewater will be mediocre at best. Manziel will claw out victories one after another.

LoneWolf
03-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Sorry but if they draft Manziel they have a better shot at winning games than any other draft pick would bring them. Clowney won't win them games. Bridgewater will be mediocre at best. Manziel will claw out victories one after another.

Does Manziel rub the top of your head like a genie's lamp when you are blowing him?

OldSchool
03-15-2014, 02:40 PM

Manziel will be on IR well before the season is over.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Dumbasses !

BlackHelicopters
03-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Got to go QB

LoneWolf
03-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Dumbasses !

I believe the only dumbass here is the guy with the wierd man crush on a mediocre QB.

Mav
03-16-2014, 09:31 AM

I don't mind you pimping manziel, but what makes you say that teddy will be mediocre?

Sorter
03-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Bortles for me.

Mav
03-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Bortles for me.

His career 3rd down completion percentage, and the fact that he threw a majority of his picks against the 4 ranked opponents he faced in college worries me.

Hell, all of these qbs worry me. Bridgewater has the most potential, ESPECIALLY with a guy like Obrien, with a team like the Texans.

Eleazar
03-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Would Bridgewater have been the first QB drafted last year? I'm not sure about that.

Direckshun
03-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Would Bridgewater have been the first QB drafted last year? I'm not sure about that.

Uh, are you shitting me?

Who in the blue Hades was a better QB prospect last year?

OldSchool
03-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Take what you will from this.

Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater didn't exactly help himself in his quest to be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 draft with his pro day workout Monday.

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock and NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner weren't wowed by the workout, with Warner pointing out mechanical issues and Mayock saying "I expected a little bit more today."

Mayock said that while most quarterbacks have good pro days because they are able to script the workout and are throwing in a controlled environment, Bridgewater's workout was "average at best." Mayock said he saw "a lot of flutters, a lot of inaccuracy."

Bridgewater - - who has been working out with former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke for the past two months - - spoke with the NFL Network after his workout, which lasted about 30 minutes, and said, "I think it went pretty well."

Twenty-nine teams were represented at Louisville's pro day, and three coaches whose teams pick in the top five were there - - Houston's Bill O'Brien, Jacksonville's Gus Bradley and Oakland's Dennis Allen.

Bridgewater currently is Mayock's top-ranked quarterback, but Mayock said Bridgewater's workout makes him "really anxious to go see (UCF's Blake) Bortles in two days." UCF's pro day is Wednesday.

Warner said Bridgewater had problems with his weight transfer, which led to some poor throws. "Accuracy starts with your base and balance," Warner said, and Bridgewater struggled in that regard Monday.

"I have seen a couple of balls hang on him a bit," Warner said.

Mayock said six of the top eight teams - - all but St. Louis, which picks second, and Atlanta, which picks sixth - - could use a quarterback. But given the strength at other positions in this draft, most notably at offensive tackle, with pass rushers and with wide receiver Sammy Watkins, "you'd better be stoned in love" with a quarterback to take him early because "the position players are so good. If you have any doubts about quarterbacks, you can't go there."

Warner said he worked out with Bridgewater for an upcoming NFL Network show and found him to be "a heady guy" and a player "who wants to be great." Warner said Bridgewater's mechanical issues can be fixed but that a question is how long it will take.

Bridgewater isn't necessarily going to plummet in the draft on the basis of the one workout, and he obviously has a lot of good game tape or he wouldn't be as highly regarded as he is. But as Mayock pointed out, this is a draft filled with players at other positions who are considered to be elite, and Bridgewater's relatively lackluster workout is concerning. Given the depth of this quarterback class, a team - - if it is not convinced about Bridgewater, Bortles or Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel - - conceivably could find a signal-caller in the second or third round who could develop into a long-term starter.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

htismaqe
03-17-2014, 10:39 AM
If the Texans are smart, they'll take Manziel. If he pans out, the upside is the same as any other QB. However, he is hometown guy. Selling season tickets is a solid contingency plan that none of the other guys give them.

Chiefnj2
03-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Texans aren't going QB 1.1.

Hydrae
03-17-2014, 10:58 AM
If the Texans are smart, they'll take Manziel. If he pans out, the upside is the same as any other QB. However, he is hometown guy. Selling season tickets is a solid contingency plan that none of the other guys give them.

That is why everyone thought they would draft Vince Young when they last had a #1 pick. They went defense then and I think they do so again this time around. I voted for Clowney on this poll for that reason, I would go Bridgewater personally.

Dallas Chief
03-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Johnny Football. It's a business decision.

Hype + Tickets + ESPN slobber fest.= Profit

TEX
03-17-2014, 01:41 PM
If I were drafting it would be Clowney, and I don't think twice about it.

IF they want to bank they draft Manzeil.

(Voted for Clowney in the poll)

Steron
03-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Bortles

Jimmya
03-17-2014, 02:14 PM
It changes on a daily basis even with the so called experts.