'Tonight Show' favorite David Brenner dies at age 78
By Sarah Aarthun, CNN
updated 7:34 PM EDT, Sat March 15, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
David Brenner appeared 158 times on Johnny Carson's late-night show
Brenner started out in television documentaries

http://www.nndb.com/people/666/000024594/brenner3-sized.jpg

"Knowing David, he's now making the devil laugh," Joan Rivers tweets
(CNN) -- Comedian David Brenner, a regular on Johnny Carson's "The Tonight Show," has died after a battle with cancer, a family spokesman said Saturday. He was 78.

Brenner was a staple on Carson's late-night show, appearing more times than any other guest -- 158, according to a bio on his official website.
Before getting into comedy, Brenner helped write, produce and direct 115 TV documentaries, earning him nearly 30 awards.

Brenner also was the author of five books -- his latest published in 2003, "I Think There's a Terrorist in My Soup."

Even in death, he kept the jokes coming. Brenner's final request, according to family spokesman Jeff Abraham, was to have $100 in small bills tucked in his sock -- "just in case tipping is recommended where I'm going."
His gravesite will read: "If this is supposed to be a joke -- then I don't get it!," according to Abraham.

Comedian Joan Rivers, a longtime friend of Brenner's, tweeted about the news of his passing Saturday.

"RIP David Brenner. I adored him, and laughed more with him than anybody. Sad, sad, sad. Knowing David, he's now making the devil laugh," read Rivers' tweet.

Brenner is survived by his wife, three sons and a grandson.

In58men
03-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Fox Sports Day Break.

"Never heard of'em"

alpha_omega
03-15-2014, 05:54 PM
RIP.

VERY funny guy, remember him subbing for Carson many times.

Dave Lane
03-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Is Laz the ***Official Coroner of Chiefsplanet***?

BigRedChief
03-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Is Laz the ***Official Coroner of Chiefsplanet***?Not exactly a prestigious position, but at least he has that going for him.

Rain Man
03-15-2014, 09:27 PM
He had his golden age when I was a little kid, and I remembered him telling a rather long joke that I liked as a 10 year-old.

Many, many years later, he was on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. He'd long been off the map, so I was surprised to see his name. He came on, and he told the same rather long joke. It was kind of sad.

Gadzooks
03-15-2014, 10:56 PM
He was a funny guy

I know from interviews with Stern that he lied about his age for the majority of his career saying he was 9 years younger than he was. 87 seems like an age where you'd have had
long fulfilled life and just about enough.

RIP

T-post Tom
03-16-2014, 01:14 AM
RIP

BlackHelicopters
03-16-2014, 07:27 AM
RIP

Fishpicker
03-16-2014, 08:26 AM
RIP Munch