PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Keep fucking doubting Rishaw Johnson.

Pages : [1] 2

Direckshun
03-20-2014, 09:01 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/3/19/5523780/kansas-city-chiefs-rishaw-johnson-guard

Kansas City Chiefs G Rishaw Johnson impressed late last season
By Joel Thorman
on Mar 19 2014, 8:44a

Regular readers may have noticed that we recently posted an item on Chiefs safety Sanders Commings and whether he could end up being the answer at free safety (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/3/18/5523418/chiefs-john-dorsey-free-safety-sanders-commings). Right here we have another post wondering if an in-house player is the answer at a position of need.

The position is guard and the player is Rishaw Johnson.

As a refresher, Johnson was an SEC recruit at Ole Miss in 2008. He was there until 2010 when he was kicked off the team (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/2/25/5436234/rishaw-johnson-kansas-city-chiefs-options). He then went to California (PA). He joined the Seahawks in his first season in the NFL then came to Kansas City his second year. The league lists him at 6'3 and 313 pounds. Last year's starting guards are listed at 340 pounds (Geoff Scwhartz), 306 pounds (Jon Asamoah) and 305 pounds (Jon Asamoah).

Matt Conner included Johnson in our in-house players series earlier this year (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/2/25/5436234/rishaw-johnson-kansas-city-chiefs-options) but I came across a couple more of items on Johnson that warrants another look-see.

Last week, I saw this from Lance Zierlein, sports talk radio host in Houston and football writer:

Lance Zierlein @LanceZierlein

@bkissel7 @Schottey Chiefs believe Rishaw is ready to take over. They LOVED how he played vs. SD at end of the year.

Johnson was among the Chiefs backups that played in Week 17 against the Chargers while the starters rested but a backup throughout the season. That caught my interest for obvious reasons being free agency week and all. If the Chiefs believe they possibly / maybe / could have a potential starting guard on the roster, they probably wouldn't go out and spend big money on a guard in free agency, right?

Terez A. Paylor @TerezPaylor

This is true. Did well vs SD RT @ArrowheadPride: Seems like a long shot but Chiefs do have an in-house option at OG http://sbn.to/1jxEmMw

But wait! There's more!

Schwartz, who is now with the Giants in New York, went on The Drive with Danny Parkins on 610 Sports on Tuesday. Danny asked him what the Chiefs have in the guys who were behind him on the Chiefs line last season.

"Rishaw played really well in the Chargers game," Schwartz said. "He's a guy that has a lot of talent and he really developed as the year went on. He's strong and explosive off the ball. Sometimes it takes guys a couple of years to get comfortable where they're playing in a game. He did a great job against the Chargers."

Another mention of the Chargers game ... interesting. This led me to asking Chiefs GM John Dorsey on our call yesterday how important that Week 17 game was for the coaching staff and front office, getting the youngsters a shot to play.

"Anytime you can get another opportunity to evaluate the players that don't get to contribute on a week-in, week-out basis, that's very helpful," Dorsey said. "What it does is it helps the coaching staff get a degree of comfort that those guys in the personnel department as they build this thing. That's what the communication between the coaches and the personnel staff does. It's always an advantage to get those guys to play and those guys showed very well on Week 17 of the NFL schedule."

Unfortunately, Dorsey wasn't giving us an in-depth scouting report on Johnson but he did say this: "He's going to come in here and he's going to compete. He's showed that he can play the game of football, and I'm just excited to see how much stride he has made here this year."

It's a long way to the season opener with more free agency and the 2014 NFL Draft to acquire more talent as well as evaluation opportunities such as OTAs and training camp to evaluate existing talent. Rishaw Johnson is one of those existing talents that is one to keep an eye on.

It's almost like the Sanders Commings situation. You have hopes that this guy can come in and take over the job next year. But he's probably too young and inexperienced to hand the job to him. Competition and veteran insurance (Jeff Linkenbach?) is needed.

My gut has been telling me for a while that the Chiefs first round pick will be an offensive lineman. That would obviously shake things up.

Simply Red
03-20-2014, 09:02 AM
I don't know who this is - but you go boy!

Direckshun
03-20-2014, 09:03 AM
I don't know who this is - but you go boy!

Rishaw Johnson ‏@BigRee75 Mar 19

Humility

Strongside
03-20-2014, 09:04 AM
GAME CHANGER. DARK HORSE. BALL BREAKER. BONE CRUSHER. SKULL SMASHER. DICK KICKER. SHIT STOMPER. BLACK KNIGHT.

STONE. COLD. KILLER.

-Rishaw Johnson has been called a lot of things. Starter isn't one of them.

Direckshun
03-20-2014, 09:05 AM
GAME CHANGER. DARK HORSE. BALL BREAKER. BONE CRUSHER. SKULL SMASHER. DICK KICKER. SHIT STOMPER. BLACK KNIGHT.

STONE. COLD. KILLER.

-Rishaw Johnson has been called a lot of things. Starter isn't one of them.

Rishaw Johnson ‏@BigRee75 Mar 11

So Ambitious

Steron
03-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Why do I always read it Rickshaw?

loochy
03-20-2014, 09:09 AM
I thought it was DaBrickashaw Johnson

RealSNR
03-20-2014, 09:12 AM
So basically nothing new at all. All I'm getting out of this thing is "He played well in the Chargers game."

Yeah, I know. I saw the game, too, Joel. What else ya got?

Reerun_KC
03-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Why do I not give a shit about true fan fluff articles?

The Franchise
03-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Rishaw Johnson vs. Jeff Linkenbach for RG
Sanders Commings vs. Husain Abdullah for FS
Tyler Bray vs. Chase Daniel for QB2

mlyonsd
03-20-2014, 09:20 AM

Same here.

Jimmya
03-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Need all the help they can get.

loochy
03-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Why do I not give a shit about true fan fluff articles?

BECAUSE YOU DONT LOVE THE CHIEFS

Reerun_KC
03-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Need all the help they can get.

Then go out and get some... Stop blow smoke up our asses with garbage players and articles.

Reerun_KC
03-20-2014, 09:24 AM
BECAUSE YOU DONT LOVE THE CHIEFS

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/134215/panda-sneeze-o.gif

KCChiefsFan88
03-20-2014, 09:31 AM
I'd rather have Richie Incognito if he's available.

That might ruffle the "we only want nice people on the Chiefs" segment of this board.

Direckshun
03-20-2014, 09:33 AM

That might ruffle the "we only want nice people on the Chiefs" segment of this board.

Wellllllllll that segment of the board can take a backseat until Reid leaves.

MIAdragon
03-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Dorsey speak is becoming nauseating.

Dunerdr
03-20-2014, 09:37 AM

If bray shines we should trade Daniel for a special teams ace gunner.

nychief
03-20-2014, 09:40 AM

He is never playing in the NFL again.

philfree
03-20-2014, 09:43 AM
I remember when Brian Waters looked like a long shot. :shrug:

Messier
03-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Young unproven players should never get a shot. It's a sign of a team that has quit.

4-12

RealSNR
03-20-2014, 09:52 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AaMerHN2HSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr_Tomahawk
03-20-2014, 09:56 AM

QB1 2016.

Chief Roundup
03-20-2014, 09:57 AM
. The league lists him at 6'3 and 313 pounds. Last year's starting guards are listed at 340 pounds (Geoff Scwhartz), 306 pounds (Jon Asamoah) and 305 pounds (Jon Asamoah).

I think he was probably meaning to list Jeff Allen instead of Asamoah twice.

HoneyBadger
03-20-2014, 09:59 AM

Time to get excited!!

ModSocks
03-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Seems really early to be feeding us fluff pieces. That's how you know the chiefs are having a shit off season.

T-post Tom
03-20-2014, 10:07 AM
I remember when Brian Waters looked like a long shot. :shrug:

me too.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140104012645/mlp/images/9/90/Rickshaw-84.3.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2014, 10:21 AM
I once saw Bud Smith throw a no hitter. Didn't make him Roy Halladay.

planetdoc
03-20-2014, 10:21 AM

no, that would ruffle the "we only want players who dont sexually assault" segment on the board. That seems like a pretty low bar.

According to the police report obtained by both outlets, the alleged victim claimed that Incognito "used his golf club to touch her by rubbing it up against her vagina, then up her stomach then to her chest." "After that, he proceeded to lean up against her buttocks with his private parts as if dancing, saying 'Let it rain! Let it rain!'" according to the police report. "He finally finished his inappropriate behavior by emptying bottled water in her face."

He did that to an African American volunteer. Dude is a headcase that you dont want anywhere near the chiefs offensive lines which is one of the youngest in the NFL.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 10:31 AM
I don't know who this is
you say this a lot

Do you watch football or are you just at a football website for all da mens?

kcchiefsus
03-20-2014, 10:33 AM
no, that would ruffle the "we only want players who dont sexually assault" segment on the board. That seems like a pretty low bar.

He did that to an African American volunteer. Dude is a headcase that you dont want anywhere near the chiefs offensive lines which is one of the youngest in the NFL.

Why does her being African American matter?

loochy
03-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Why does her being African American matter?

it makes it racist AND mysoginistic?

it gives more to be outraged about?

or it makes it extra gross?

TEX
03-20-2014, 10:35 AM
There's that San Diego game reference again... I still feel that it's being used by the Chiefs like the NFL Combine where a player shines then gets drafted higher than he should. We'll see...

The Franchise
03-20-2014, 10:36 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ao7OAXXpNqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

philfree
03-20-2014, 10:49 AM
There's that San Diego game reference again... I still feel that it's being used by the Chiefs like the NFL Combine where a player shines then gets drafted higher than he should. We'll see...

So actually seeing a player in a real NFL game is like the combine? O.K.

In58men
03-20-2014, 10:52 AM
At this point we'll say anyone is good for the starting position. Honestly I didn't know he was on the team.

Direckshun
03-20-2014, 10:53 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ao7OAXXpNqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WTF does that mean?

His "marginal makeup could wear thin on the mushroom club"?

The Franchise
03-20-2014, 10:54 AM
WTF does that mean?

His "marginal makeup could wear thin on the mushroom club"?

Dick joke?

Direckshun
03-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Seriously, what person from which planet thought that would be acceptable parlance?

I have no idea what that means. Not even fucking urbandictionary.com helps.

Beef Supreme
03-20-2014, 11:45 AM
I might have kept fucking doubting him if I had known who he was. Now that I do know who he is, I will start fresh doubting him.

RunKC
03-20-2014, 11:48 AM
I will say this. He looked good vs SD

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 11:55 AM
complete punt this offseason

Hunt told Reid/Dorsey that we need to win immediately to fill the seats but now we are into a new 5-year plan.

The Franchise
03-20-2014, 12:00 PM
complete punt this offseason

Hunt told Reid/Dorsey that we need to win immediately to fill the seats but now we are into a new 5-year plan.

Total punt? No. But I'm not going to be surprised if we win 6 or 7 games and the "youth movement or experience" is the excuse.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Total punt? No. But I'm not going to be surprised if we win 6 or 7 games and the "youth movement or experience" is the excuse.
to me 6 or 7 wins and a youth movement is a total punt

we made the playoffs and have a decent QB for the first time in a decade. We have some talent and i was expecting a 'push' to challenge Denver. Instead we rollover and give up.

What is on paper doesn't always translate to the field but our attitude is 'rebuilding' and that just totally sucks.

Apparently they are going to rebuild until Manning retires and hope we can win then.

:cuss:

Messier
03-20-2014, 12:08 PM

we made the playoffs and have a decent QB for the first time in a decade. We have some talent and i was expecting a 'push' to challenge Denver. Instead we rollover and give up.

What is on paper doesn't always translate to the field but our attitude is 'rebuilding' and that just totally sucks.

Apparently they are going to rebuild until Manning retires and hope we can win then.

What are they rebuilding?

TEX
03-20-2014, 12:08 PM

Yep. Reel the fans back in and let them figure it out after they're hooked.

The Franchise
03-20-2014, 12:09 PM

What is on paper doesn't always translate to on the field but our attitude is 'rebuilding' and that just totally sucks.

I don't see it as a total punt and a youth movement. We were never going to keep up with Denver in FA. We didn't have the money due to some of the contracts in place. Yeah, you can sit here and say that a bunch of things could have been done to give yourself salary cap room. Maybe they feel that they have replacements right now to fill in some of those holes. They've chosen their path. It will either make them look like geniuses or make them look like everyone else. I'm done getting pissed off because they aren't doing what I wanted them to do. It doesn't make anything better.

J Diddy
03-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Seriously, what person from which planet thought that would be acceptable parlance?

I have no idea what that means. Not even ****ing urbandictionary.com helps.

Mushroom club: Those guys that SNR mentioned having a circle jerk when he was in high school

Marginal makeup: Is either penis size or a knock on his staying power.

TEX
03-20-2014, 12:10 PM

Seriously???? The O-line for starters....

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 12:13 PM
many times when a new GM/HC come in they gut the thing and start over immediately. Apparently we are going to change it by attrition. Let all the guys from the previous administration leave via FA and draft replacements.

full 5-year plan mode

Flowers,Hali will be gone next year ... maybe Sean Smith too

DJ and Charles the next

apparently the goal is to do the changeover slowly enough to maintain 8-8 and during the process.

I'm so pissed i get even see straight when i think about it

Messier
03-20-2014, 12:14 PM

Basically one new player that they didn't play extensively last year.

J Diddy
03-20-2014, 12:15 PM

Yeah, I would qualify the replacement of 3/5 of the offensive line as a rebuild, especially when you factor in that the other 2. The right tackle will be in his second year and didn't even play the entire season of the first and the center played in his first full season without injury.

The o line is going to be ugly me thinks.

J Diddy
03-20-2014, 12:16 PM

Albert, Asamoah, Schwartz?

TEX
03-20-2014, 12:16 PM
So actually seeing a player in a real NFL game is like the combine? O.K.

No - seeing him in only 1 game and disregarding the majority body f work of the season (Or lack there of) then heavily weighting the decision on the 1 game is like heavily weighting a player based on his performance in the NFL Combine.

Never mind, I answered the question before I saw it was you who asked it...

TEX
03-20-2014, 12:18 PM

Dude, are you retarded? I'm "basically" trying to see if there's a reason why you cant count past 1...Holy shit!

Messier
03-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Albert, Asamoah, Schwartz?

Asamoah and Schwartz didn't start together, they played the same position.

RunKC
03-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Dorsey is using his draft picks instead of old free agents to be the difference. Let's hope this works like it is for his friend John Schneider in Seattle.

Messier
03-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Dude, are you retarded? I'm "basically" trying to see if there's a reason why you cant count past 1...:shake:

Oh, shut up.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm glad somebody is happy with that current mediocre mode we are using.

TEX
03-20-2014, 12:20 PM
many times when a new GM/HC come in they gut the thing and start over immediately. Apparently we are going to change it by attrition. Let all the guys from the previous administration leave via FA and draft replacements.

full 5-year plan mode

DJ and Charles the next

apparently the goal is to do the changeover slowly enough to maintain 8-8 and during the process.

I actually had a conversation with a buddy who is a Texan fan about this same thing last night.

OnTheWarpath15
03-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Chase Daniel played well in the SD game as well, but I don't see anyone saying he should be starting in 2014.

Messier
03-20-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm glad somebody is happy with that current mediocre mode with are using.

I want some new FA players too. I'm just not that worried about the o-line.

TEX
03-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Oh, shut up.

Seriously dude, the only reason you wouldn't get the "o-line rebuild" take is because there's "something" wrong with your thought process or you just don't want to. I'm betting it's the latter. In which case you should be asking yourself, not others, why that is because only you know the answer..:rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 12:25 PM
I actually had a conversation with a buddy who is a Texan fan about this same thing last night.
it's certainly what appears to be happening from the outside looking in

no point in giving Alex Smith a new contract now or rework any of the vets

just let them play out their contracts and move on ... draft to replace

The Peterson 5-year plan is alive and well

TEX
03-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Chase Daniel played well in the SD game as well, but I don't see anyone saying he should be starting in 2014.

Excellent point and the same one I'm trying to make regarding that ONE game. Thank you for at least trying to see it.

Messier
03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Seriously dude, the only reason you wouldn't get the "o-line rebuild" take is because there's "something" wrong with your thought process or you just don't want to. I'm betting it's the latter...:rolleyes:

The Chiefs are going into this season with the o-line of the last month of the season minus Schwartz. How is that rebuilt?

Messier
03-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Excellent point and the same one I'm trying to make regarding that ONE game. Thank you for at least trying to see it.

Again I'll ask. You totally against giving a young player, that showed a little promise a chance?

No, it's the Chiefs waving the white flag.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 12:29 PM
I want some new FA players too. I'm just not that worried about the o-line.

it's not even about the Oline imo

It's about the entire 'feel' of the offseason

long and slow approach to running the team

we just traded two 2nd round draft picks for a QB just to maintain an average team while we rebuild. :banghead:

Direckshun
03-20-2014, 12:30 PM

Apples and oranges, much?

Titty Meat
03-20-2014, 12:31 PM
6-10

chiefzilla1501
03-20-2014, 12:32 PM

full 5-year plan mode

DJ and Charles the next

Because this team was poised to be a super bowl winner if they spent money? They are rebuilding while staying legitimately competitive. Anyone who thinks this team is doomed to be a lot worse than last year is overreacting.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Again I'll ask. You totally against giving a young player, that showed a little promise a chance?

No, it's the Chiefs waving the white flag.
giving young players a chance is not the thing

during FA we ran a -5 nfl starters

We lost that talent, even if we do promote backups we still lost -5 in depth of total talent.

It's not like we lost a starter at one specific position to let a young guy play but added a starter somewhere else. Let Albert walk because we have a young guy ready ... fine. Take that money and put it to another position.

No ... we just let them all walk.

Even if we have the best draft in the history of drafts we are going to be hard pressed to do more than break even after losing 5 starters. We only have 6 draft picks so even if EVERY PICK is good we still end up with a +1.

rebuilding

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Because this team was poised to be a super bowl winner if they spent money? They are rebuilding while staying legitimately competitive. Anyone who thinks this team is doomed to be a lot worse than last year is overreacting.
8-8 is our goal ... w00t!!!

chiefzilla1501
03-20-2014, 12:40 PM

We lost that talent, even if we do P romote backups we still lost -5 in depth of total talent.

It's not like we lost a starter at one specific position to let a young guy play but added a starter somewhere else. Let Albert walk because we have a young guy ready ... fine. Take that money and put it to another position.

Even if we have the best draft in the history of drafts we are going to be hard pressed to do more than break even after losing 5 starters. We only have 6 draft picks so even if EVERY PICK is good we still end up with a +1.

rebuilding

We let Albert walk because we lost him for a few games and saw no drop-off. The other guys were low positional value players. Even if we don't add a single new free agent or draft pick, we aren't going to see much drop off.

Jfc. It's not like we are shipping off jamaal Charles.

mcaj22
03-20-2014, 12:40 PM

slop vs shit for the other MLB spot next to DJ

chiefzilla1501
03-20-2014, 12:44 PM
8-8 is our goal ... w00t!!!

Yeah. Because a few free agent moves turns this team Into a Super Bowl contender therefore we should mortgage everything to win in two years.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 12:45 PM
We let Albert walk because we lost him for a few games and saw no drop-off. The other guys were low positional value players. Even if we don't add a single new free agent or draft pick, we aren't going to see much drop off.

Jfc. It's not like we are shipping off jamaal Charles.
excuses and rationalizations

it's simple math, we still ended up -5 for starters in FA

we have significantly less talent now than we had at the end of last season

Messier

We lost that talent, even if we do promote backups we still lost -5 in depth of total talent.

rebuilding

Two play the same position, McCluster and Jackson? Boo Hoo.

Rausch
Asamoah and Schwartz didn't start together, they played the same position.

And that NEVER should have been the case.

Allen should have been carrying gatoraid and Asamoah and Schwartz should have been in there (until big John went down with injury.)

Messier
03-20-2014, 12:52 PM
it's not even about the Oline imo

It's about the entire 'feel' of the offseason

long and slow approach to running the team

we just traded two 2nd round draft picks for a QB just to maintain an average team while we rebuild. :banghead:

I will agree, this FA period has sucked. I'd love to sign some known players, it'd make me feel much better.

Still being upset with the Smith trade, I don't get. It's like you guys would rather stink with a rookie QB, as long as he was a high draft pick. I don't want to be the Jets right now, thinking about bringing in Vick.

chiefzilla1501
excuses and rationalizations

it's simple math, we still ended up -5 for starters in FA

we have significantly less talent now than we had at the end of last season

Except that Tyson Jackson and Joe Mays are equal replacements. Alberts loss socks but Stephenson did fine in plenty of snaps. We are talking about a ****ing guard and a slot receiver. Oh lordy lordy Lord God help us.

And this again assumes that we no other current roster players step up, we draft no starters, and add no more free agent starters.

Messier

Allen should have been carrying gatoraid and Asamoah and Schwartz should have been in there (until big John went down with injury.)

Asamoah was not playing well.

nychief
03-20-2014, 12:57 PM
I'd love to sign some known players, it'd make me feel much better.

This is what is wrong with this board... we sign emmanual fucking broke foot sanders, suddenly the off season is not so bad...

Same thing with the draft EVERY YEAR... unless joe bob chiefs fan has heard of the player we drafted... IT'S A TERRIBLE PICK....

It gets tiresome.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Except that Tyson Jackson and Joe Mays are equal replacements. Alberts loss socks but Stephenson did fine in plenty of snaps. We are talking about a ****ing guard and a slot receiver. Oh lordy lordy Lord God help us.

And this again assumes that we no other current roster players step up, we draft no starters, and add no more free agent starters.
jackson and Mays are not even close to being the equal

and even if players step up we still LOST to our total talent pool because promoting those players will shrink our depth

once you lose a chance to improve your team in any phase you can't get it back, it's gone.

rebuilding while still looking 'pretty' just means a longer rebuild time

Rausch
03-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Asamoah was not playing well.

I understand this.

He was injured and then out.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 01:06 PM
I understand this.

He was injured and then out.
and in a different scheme at all our Olineman were struggling with

As soon as we switched back to ZBS everyone seemed to play better. Assuming that Asamoah would have improved as well is not a stretch. imo.

TEX
03-20-2014, 01:06 PM
jackson and Mays are not even close to being the equal

and even if players step up we still LOST to our total talent pool because promoting those players will shrink our depth

once you lose a chance to improve your team in any phase you can't get it back, it's gone.

rebuilding while still looking 'pretty' just means a longer rebuild time

A point that always seems to be lost...You don't improve if what you add only gets you to the same place that you were...

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 01:09 PM
A point that always seems to be lost...You don't improve if what you add only gets you to the same place that you were...
and we didn't even do that

whether it's starters or depth, we clearly lost a significant amount of talent during FA

TEX
03-20-2014, 01:10 PM

That's exactly the case. Nobody is saying anything about it but Allen was easily the worst O-lineman the Chiefs had last season. Dude flat out sucked. I don't really think we can expect much improvement out of him with changing the dynamics around him.

TEX
03-20-2014, 01:14 PM
and we didn't even do that

whether it's starters or depth, we clearly lost a significant amount of talent during FA

Oh yeah, I agree. I was just stating that it's not going to be an improvement if when it's all over we just managed to sign what we lost because that would only get us to where we were. Even IF that ends up being the case, you still have to hope the new guys can come in, learn a new system and play at the same level as the guys they replaced. Not likely.

Shit, now I'm all pissed off AGAIN. Gotta take a break for a bit...

mcaj22
03-20-2014, 01:52 PM

seeing as how they won't have the luxury of playing Thad Lewis, Jason Campbell, Case ****ing Keenum, and whatever other 3rd string slop QBs they got to beat on last year, while they won't be "doomed" they will have to face real QBs and some of them with real defenses this time around.

chiefzilla1501
03-20-2014, 04:16 PM
seeing as how they won't have the luxury of playing Thad Lewis, Jason Campbell, Case ****ing Keenum, and whatever other 3rd string slop QBs they got to beat on last year, while they won't be "doomed" they will have to face real QBs and some of them with real defenses this time around.

I knew you were full of shit. Didn't you give me grief recently over many posts that this team wasn't far away from super bowl contention and should be loading up in free agency?

So which side are you on? Or are you going to find whatever angle breathes pessimism.

BlackHelicopters
03-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks KCStar.

chiefzilla1501
03-20-2014, 04:23 PM

You also get false improvement if you have to buy those improvements. For as much criticism as there has been, it hasn't had a track record of success. If you want to load up around an elite QB or stacked team... Sure.

You are making the assumption that the chiefs stay the same because they didn't add anybody.

Direckshun
03-20-2014, 04:57 PM
This offseason, let the record show, former Chiefs have been paid more than one hundred million dollars more than new Chiefs have been signed to.

Holy wow.

saphojunkie
03-20-2014, 05:14 PM
You know what would be stupid? Paying 100 million to stay an 11-6 team or worse. That's what resigning those guys would have been. You get better through the draft. Always have, always will.

Barring signing/trading for a franchise qb.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 07:08 PM
You know what would be stupid? Paying 100 million to stay an 11-6 team or worse. That's what resigning those guys would have been. You get better through the draft. Always have, always will.

Barring signing/trading for a franchise qb.
we didn't have to keep the same players

We just lost a bunch and didn't replace them with anything.

Tribal Warfare
03-20-2014, 07:19 PM
QB1 2016.

GOD MODE awaits!!!!!!!!!

MotherfuckerJones
03-20-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm all for this. Fuck paying big money to lineman unless they're superb.

Put money in the playmakes. Re-sign Houston and Berry.

BigCatDaddy
03-20-2014, 07:23 PM
we didn't have to keep the same players

We just lost a bunch and didn't replace them with anything.

Who was the big loss?

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Who was the big loss?
we lost 5 nfl starters worth of talent to this roster ... period.

you can try and talk about how we already have replacements etc but the talent is still gone. You move backup up to starters to replace the losses and now you still have 5 holes in depth guys.

So you say we will draft better guys and end up better? No, not really because if we had replace the lost players in FA we still could have still drafted 'better guys' and ended up with the FA guys + the draft guys and been much improved.

Not only that but we are also more locked in to draft certain positions because we created more holes in FA. Now we have to draft 5 guy to specifically replace the FA losses which means we won't be getting better, just staying stagnant.

6 draft picks to replace 5 holes

Shogun
03-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Johnson. Real tough worker. Lunch pail to work every day type of guy. Just puts one foot in front of the other. Competitive.

Easy 6
03-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Fine, I will.

MotherfuckerJones
03-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Glad we didn't pay 100 mil to all those guys. All replaceable and money go towards skill positions

Simplicity
03-20-2014, 08:09 PM
I'll donate a $100 to CP to bring this guy into the starting guard position.

kc79
03-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Dorsey upgraded DE with Walker and must feel good about Catapano going from year 1-2. Cooper was a rookie, he'll do better this year. McCluster is a RB playing WR. Avery and or Jenkins are an upgrade over him. Mays can feel Jordan's spot. I'll take Commings over Lewis all day and I don't care that he barely played last year. Stevenson improved some much in his second year. Hope Fischer can do the same.

Saccopoo
03-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Let's be serious about this bullshit:

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/DD/DDFHVPMVXWQEEFR.20101209200948.jpg

htismaqe
03-21-2014, 04:42 AM
Glad we didn't pay 100 mil to all those guys. All replaceable and money go towards skill positions

Or towards Clark's cable bill...

htismaqe
03-21-2014, 04:43 AM
6 draft picks to replace 5 holes

It's like playing Powerball with the expectation of winning...

MotherfuckerJones
03-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Let's be serious about this bullshit:

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/DD/DDFHVPMVXWQEEFR.20101209200948.jpg

You're such a dumbass. Ya let's waste a 1st on a shitty OG.

Floridafan
03-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Didn't Dorsey bring in some decent players after they were cut by other teams last year?

Mr. Laz
03-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Didn't Dorsey bring in some decent players after they were cut by other teams last year?
yep and we all better hope to hell that he rides that horse again.

we need 4 or 5 more of them this year.

Floridafan
03-22-2014, 04:36 PM
I think Dorsey knows football and will bring in more talent just like last year. He just isn't a big mouth know it all type in front of the camera. He is smart and recognizes football talent and understands just what this team needs to win. I personally don't feel we lost anyone that isn't replaceable although I would have like to keep Schwartz. Otherwise he will bring in some good talent and we save money to sign the playmakers. Alex will have a good year with last year under his belt. If we bring in a good safety and another WR or two we should be fine. I'm on the better team/worse record side of things.

chiefzilla1501
03-22-2014, 04:38 PM
I think Dorsey knows football and will bring in more talent just like last year. He just isn't a big mouth know it all type in front of the camera. He is smart and recognizes football talent and understands just what this team needs to win. I personally don't feel we lost anyone that isn't replaceable although I would have like to keep Schwartz. Otherwise he will bring in some good talent and we save money to sign the playmakers. Alex will have a good year with last year under his belt. If we bring in a good safety and another WR or two we should be fine. I'm on the better team/worse record side of things.

Excellent post my friend.

Mr. Laz
03-22-2014, 04:42 PM
When are we going to use this money to sign these playmakers?

Next year? What about THIS YEAR?

Clock is ticking on several of our best players.

booger
03-22-2014, 04:42 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/rishaw-johnson-75/

He's got 35" arms and 11" hands. That's going to be near the top of those physical measurements most years for an OT at the combine. He just hasn't had the snaps to put all of that potential to the test. He should be able to lock on and maul inside at G.

While the excitement of what he could be is there he still hasn't shown anything other than the SD game so they need to have proven depth before they blindly just count on him as the starter at RG.

Messier
03-22-2014, 04:45 PM
It's like playing Powerball with the expectation of winning...

I'm counting. FS, RG, slot WR. And...

RealSNR
03-22-2014, 04:54 PM
While the excitement of what he could be is there he still hasn't shown anything other than the SD game so they need to have proven depth before they blindly just count on him as the starter at RG.

Emphasis on the word "proven" in "proven depth."

Another rookie isn't going to be the answer. You'll just be replacing Rishaw Johnson's struggles with someone else's.

That's why I was all about re-signing Schwartz and keeping the draft completely out of the guard picture this year.

Mr. Laz
03-22-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm counting. FS, RG, slot WR. And...
You are talking positions without regard to talent. The total team talent level matters even if it's depth. Every starter lost is talent lost even if you replace that talent from an existing player. You still lose depth.

ARRIVALS
Linkenbach, Jeffrey**
Owens, Chris
Walker, Vance*
Mays, Joe*

DEPARTURES

Albert, Branden*
Asamoah, Jon*
Demps, Quintin**
Jackson, Tyson*
Jordan, Akeem**
Lewis, Kendrick*
McCluster, Dexter*
Powe, Jerrell
Schwartz, Geoff*

* had significant time starting
** significant backups

booger
03-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Emphasis on the word "proven" in "proven depth."

Another rookie isn't going to be the answer. You'll just be replacing Rishaw Johnson's struggles with someone else's.

That's why I was all about re-signing Schwartz and keeping the draft completely out of the guard picture this year.

I'm with you there. I wanted to see Geoff resigned. I think in their view Linkenbach is a very similar player to Schwartz when he was signed last year. The versitility and a part time starter. Dorsey loves Kush and Reid drafted Jason Kelce as a 6th rounder and started him at C in his 2nd year so them moving Hudson to G is something I think they will strongly consider as well. In one of Dorsey's Q/A's, not a recent one but maybe his end of the season presser he mentioned not being surprised if Kush pushes for a starting job. In that case I like Hudson better at LG than RG and that would allow Allen to compete at RG too. I'd like to see them add J'Marcus Webb who they recently visited with. Chris Ballard knows him well from his time with the Bears when he was drafted and Martz loved him. He's only 25-26 with quite a bit of starts under his belt and could compete with Linkebach for a backup job. It's probably better and safer to get a guy like Daryn College on board as a vet with years full of starts under his belt.

All of the talk last year about the youngest line in the league and it's gotten younger this year so far. It's a concern for sure

Messier
03-22-2014, 05:08 PM
You are talking positions without regard to talent. The total team talent level matters even if it's depth. Every starter lost is talent lost even if you replace that talent from an existing player. You still lose depth.

ARRIVALS
Linkenbach, Jeffrey**
Owens, Chris
Walker, Vance*
Mays, Joe*

DEPARTURES

Albert, Branden*
Asamoah, Jon*
Demps, Quintin**
Jackson, Tyson*
Jordan, Akeem**
Lewis, Kendrick*
McCluster, Dexter*
Powe, Jerrell
Schwartz, Geoff*

** significant backups

Who are you most upset about losing?

The Chiefs will have the same number of players at those positions. They aren't gonna have fewer players. I think it'll be easy to upgrade even the reserve positions.

Messier
03-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Jordan was a starter.

chiefzilla1501
03-22-2014, 05:29 PM

ARRIVALS
Linkenbach, Jeffrey**
Owens, Chris
Walker, Vance*
Mays, Joe*

ARRIVALS WE DIDN'T SEE LAST YEAR
Commings, Sanders
Kelce, Travis

DEPARTURES

Albert, Branden* (starter in-house. Depth at this position neutralized by Linkenbach)
Asamoah, Jon*Asamaoh, Jon**
Demps, Quintin** neutralized by Chris Owen
Jackson, Tyson* neutralized by Walker
Jordan, Akeem** neutralized by Mays
Lewis, Kendrick* probably neutralized by Commings, a guy not on the roster last year
McCluster, Dexter* likely neutralized by Kelce, a guy not on the roster last year because Kelce will add a receiving option
Powe, Jerrell (barely played)
Schwartz, Geoff*

** significant backups

FYP above

And we still have a lot of free agency and the draft. After this time last year, Dorsey hauled in Cooper, McGrath, Parker, Jenkins, Sherman, Fisher, Zombo, Catapano, Rokevius Watkins, Rishaw Johnson, Nico Johnson, Kush, Akeem Jordan. That's thirteen 2014 roster players, five 2013 starters, and 2 or 3 of those guys may end up being 2014 starters.

So no, I am not worried about depth. And I'm also not worried that the remainder of the offseason, we won't neutralize our talent losses. We have to replace a backup Guard, a starting Guard, and a loss in talent at Left Tackle. And some minor losses in talent at some positions likely neutralized by improvements in organic talent already on the roster.

Mr. Laz
03-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Who are you most upset about losing?

The Chiefs will have the same number of players at those positions. They aren't gonna have fewer players. I think it'll be easy to upgrade even the reserve positions.
I'm upset about losing talent and not replacing it.

doesn't matter how well we draft because it should be FA + Draft

You have 3 phases to improve your team in the offseason

FA
Trade
Draft

Once you don't improve in one of these areas you can't make it up ... once it's gone, it's gone. Unless you crossover (ie trade players for draft picks etc).

imo we haven't done enough in FA, it makes me think we aren't serious about winning. That's why i'm pissed.

I understand mistakes and failures but i can't stand not trying.

chiefzilla1501
03-22-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm upset about losing talent and not replacing it.

doesn't matter how well we draft because it should be FA + Draft

You have 3 phases to improve your team in the offseason

FA
Trade
Draft

Once you don't improve in one of these areas you can't make it up ... once it's gone, it's gone. Unless you crossover (ie trade players for draft picks etc).

imo we haven't done enough in FA, it makes me think we aren't serious about winning. That's why i'm pissed.

I understand mistakes and failures but i can't stand not trying.

We probably upgraded both DE and ILB at a lower combined cost than keeping Jordan and Tyson Jackson. Outside of that, we saved about $20M on three offensive linemen, a position we've all screamed up and down is not a high positional value spot.

If this team ends up being equal or better than last year while saving $20M, resigning Alex Smith/Houston/Berry to huge long-term non cap-killing deals, while not hastily restructuring Hali and Flowers to shitty cap-killing contracts, AND as a result of all that earn our way to 3 to 4 good to great compensatory picks (giving us 10-11 picks in 2015), I'd say that's an offseason that actually feels like a strategy whereas last year was just throwing money at players to help us fill seats.

SPATCH
03-22-2014, 09:21 PM
We probably upgraded both DE and ILB at a lower combined cost than keeping Jordan and Tyson Jackson. Outside of that, we saved about $20M on three offensive linemen, a position we've all screamed up and down is not a high positional value spot.

If this team ends up being equal or better than last year while saving $20M, resigning Alex Smith/Houston/Berry to huge long-term non cap-killing deals, while not hastily restructuring Hali and Flowers to shitty cap-killing contracts, AND as a result of all that earn our way to 3 to 4 good to great compensatory picks (giving us 10-11 picks in 2015), I'd say that's an offseason that actually feels like a strategy whereas last year was just throwing money at players to help us fill seats.

Potential comp picks for Hali/Flowers departure would not occur for 2015 draft. We should see nice 2015 comp picks resulting from the current free agency, though.

milkman
03-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Spin it however you want, last year's offseason combined with this year's only strengthens the notion that Clark Hunt only cares about putting butts into the seats.

chiefzilla1501
03-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Spin it however you want, last year's offseason combined with this year's only strengthens the notion that Clark Hunt only cares about putting butts into the seats.

Spin it however you want...
You are suggesting the Chiefs should have either torn the team apart and committed to a painful rebuild the year after a massive fan revolt. Or option B, because we invested in Alex Smith, we should be throwing money as if Smith is a guy who can carry a team to the Super Bowl on his back. I'm not a fan of either of those choices (and no, I'm not a blind Dorsey apologist. I've consistently been critical of his big offseason moves last year).

Also, it's hard to claim Hunt doesn't want to win big after he went over Peterson's head to give Herm license to commit to a rebuild, and then hired Pioli and told him he had time and patience to let him build the team his way.

chiefzilla1501
03-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Potential comp picks for Hali/Flowers departure would not occur for 2015 draft. We should see nice 2015 comp picks resulting from the current free agency, though.

We will likely get comp picks for Albert, Schwartz, and maybe both McCluster and Asamoah. We will likely get comped for losing a ton of free agents (mostly big contract free agents). At this rate, we might get 4 comp picks and some as high as the 3rd round.

Signing Jairus Byrd hurts our ability to win comp picks. Extending Smith, Houston, and Berry does not.

J Diddy
03-22-2014, 11:31 PM

I don't get it. He gutted FO, coaching staff following a fan rebellion, granted. However, he hasn't signed any big named players that would be conducive with that philosophy.

chiefzilla1501
03-22-2014, 11:40 PM
I don't get it. He gutted FO, coaching staff following a fan rebellion, granted. However, he hasn't signed any big named players that would be conducive with that philosophy.

Last year was probably the only year in Hunt's entire run that we saw the team use free agency to build a winner.

And no I don't think he's cheap. He seems to put a lot of faith in his GMs/coaches to build things their way and I don't for a second think Pioli and Dorsey were hired because they have a history of being cheap. In Pioli, he gambled really poorly. In Herm he gambled correctly. Yet to see on Dorsey. His ability to draft this year in next year will tell us a lot about how good he really is.

MotherfuckerJones
03-23-2014, 12:14 AM
I don't think Hunt is cheap. He's spending a shit load of cash to put this new FO in place, get rid of the old bad shit FO and coaches.

chiefzilla1501
03-23-2014, 12:41 AM
I don't think Hunt is cheap. He's spending a shit load of cash to put this new FO in place, get rid of the old bad shit FO and coaches.

The Chiefs could position themselves well to make a really massive upgrade to this team in 2015. They'll have a lot of money to play with and there is a TON of talent that could pop into the 2015 free agent class including JJ Watt and maybe someone like Earl Thomas. And because of our conservative approach to the absolutely shitty 2014 free agent class, we could wind up with 11 draft picks. Because we were patient with Hali and Flowers, we can restructure their contracts next year when we have leverage.

J Diddy
03-23-2014, 12:58 AM
Last year was probably the only year in Hunt's entire run that we saw the team use free agency to build a winner.

And no I don't think he's cheap. He seems to put a lot of faith in his GMs/coaches to build things their way and I don't for a second think Pioli and Dorsey were hired because they have a history of being cheap. In Pioli, he gambled really poorly. In Herm he gambled correctly. Yet to see on Dorsey. His ability to draft this year in next year will tell us a lot about how good he really is.

Yes last year was one of the few years we've seen him maximize FA to give us a shot, but think about how it was done. Nothing spectacular. Avery and Smith were the only recognizable names (granted you could include Fasano in that as well) but nobody who would automatically be granted a team changer.

We signed a ton of short term contracts to players who are good but not great.

If the goal is to put "butts in seats" than he's doing it all wrong. Signing big named FA is the way to go about it. Seriously who's going to sell more tickets? Brett Favre or Sean Smith?

chiefzilla1501
03-23-2014, 01:11 AM
Yes last year was one of the few years we've seen him maximize FA to give us a shot, but think about how it was done. Nothing spectacular. Avery and Smith were the only recognizable names (granted you could include Fasano in that as well) but nobody who would automatically be granted a team changer.

We signed a ton of short term contracts to players who are good but not great.

If the goal is to put "butts in seats" than he's doing it all wrong. Signing big named FA is the way to go about it. Seriously who's going to sell more tickets? Brett Favre or Sean Smith?

Well, I wasn't impressed with how they handled it last year. But I get why they did it. Same reason the Browns are doing it this year. I agree, it's not about putting butts in seats. Tough words to use. More about restoring pride and confidence in the team. After the fan revolt and with Reid searching to find himself again, it is hard to fault Hunt for wanting to build an immediate winner. And no, I don't see why taking that step obligates you to all of a sudden go on a free agent frenzy, especially with the kind of lousy 2014 free agent class we had.

milkman
03-23-2014, 05:58 AM
Spin it however you want...
You are suggesting the Chiefs should have either torn the team apart and committed to a painful rebuild the year after a massive fan revolt. Or option B, because we invested in Alex Smith, we should be throwing money as if Smith is a guy who can carry a team to the Super Bowl on his back. I'm not a fan of either of those choices (and no, I'm not a blind Dorsey apologist. I've consistently been critical of his big offseason moves last year).

Also, it's hard to claim Hunt doesn't want to win big after he went over Peterson's head to give Herm license to commit to a rebuild, and then hired Pioli and told him he had time and patience to let him build the team his way.

I am suggesting that the Chiefs should spend money in free agency to fill the 2 most glaring holes.
Not asking to make huge investments.

You don't trade 2 2nd round picks for a QB to regain respectability.
You trade late picks for that QB.

What the Chiefs are telling us is that winning in the regular season in their priority.

Mr. Laz
03-23-2014, 06:34 AM
We will likely get comp picks for Albert, Schwartz, and maybe both McCluster and Asamoah. We will likely get comped for losing a ton of free agents (mostly big contract free agents). At this rate, we might get 4 comp picks and some as high as the 3rd round.

Signing Jairus Byrd hurts our ability to win comp picks. Extending Smith, Houston, and Berry does not.

you hear that?

That's the sound of the careers of Charles,DJ,Hali,Bowe ticking down to a end.

next year when we get all those comp picks we better think about using them to replace our best players because they are about done.

congrats on 'maintaining'

Bazooka Poe
03-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Good read. I was impressed with Rigshaw and Kush in the Chargers game. I think having Berry around will push Johnson to succeed and make him comfortable. Those guys went to high school together.

Dave Lane
03-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Jon Asamoah played two positions on the offensive line no wonder we sucked. He played it at two different weights that's amazing how he could do that. It's only a pound so maybe it was the beginning of the game and the end of the game.

philfree
03-23-2014, 08:25 AM
I am suggesting that the Chiefs should spend money in free agency to fill the 2 most glaring holes.

What the Chiefs are telling us is that winning in the regular season in their priority.

I thought Alex Smith had already regained his respect the previous two season.

milkman
03-23-2014, 08:42 AM
I thought Alex Smith had already regained his respect the previous two season.

I seriously hope this post was intended as a joke.

chiefzilla1501
03-23-2014, 09:04 AM
you hear that?

That's the sound of the careers of Charles,DJ,Hali,Bowe ticking down to a end.

next year when we get all those comp picks we better think about using them to replace our best players because they are about done.

congrats on 'maintaining'

The Chiefs will have up to 17 picks the next 2 years. A shitload of cap space as Hali and Flowers' contracts sunset, and Bowe's contract becomes cuttable. If they can't replace 4 playmakers over 2 - 3 years with that to work with, then we have the wrong front office.

Messier
03-23-2014, 09:06 AM

Wow. So we're already back to regretting the Smith trade? That didn't take long.

philfree
03-23-2014, 09:12 AM

Not at all. His game improved and when he was injured he had the highest QB rating in the league. :shrug:

milkman
03-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Wow. So we're already back to regretting the Smith trade? That didn't take long.

That is what you got out of my post?

Are you and Phil related?

milkman
03-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Holy crap, what a couple of morons?

Messier
03-23-2014, 09:28 AM
That is what you got out of my post?

Are you and Phil related?

If it wasn't, sorry. There's been an influx of stupid lately because a slow FA.

Messier
03-23-2014, 09:29 AM

Oh shut up, you grump.

philfree
03-23-2014, 09:31 AM

His career was turning around but whatever.

milkman
03-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Oh shut up, you grump.

I am not regretting the trade for Smith.

Hell, I am not even complaining about the Chiefs lack of activity this year.

I am arguing the stupid rationalizations by the people that are defending that lack of activity.

milkman
03-23-2014, 09:38 AM
His career was turning around but whatever.

Let me give you a clue.

Alex Smith wasn't the subject of my post.

chiefzilla1501
03-23-2014, 09:49 AM
I would rather collect 4 draft comp picks and use our money to invest in major extensions for Smith, Houston, and Berry. That also gives you a chance to frontload Smith's contract.

Other than Carson Palmer to the Cardinals (which may have been a fluke and definitely isn't a long-term answer)... how many late round trades for QB actually do that? I don't like the comp we gave up for Alex Smith. But it's silly that people think because we traded Smith we need to start stockpiling free agents around him immediately to justify the investment. The Seahawks traded a 3rd and a 20-pick 2nd round swap to bring in Charlie Whitehurst. I'd say they still managed to build a terrific team because they focused on the draft.

It's hard to believe that after what the Chiefs did this offseason, that their goal is to just put butts in seats as you claim. If they truly believed that, then why wouldn't they take the safe approach and sign one of their low-priced Guards for cheap? It sure seems to me that what the Chiefs are doing is telling us our primary priority is building through the draft. And I like that a lot better than what we did last year.

Rausch
03-23-2014, 09:51 AM
I would rather collect 4 draft comp picks and use our money to invest in major extensions for Smith, Houston, and Berry. That also gives you a chance to frontload Smith's contract.

Why do you think we would get 4 comp picks?...

chiefzilla1501
03-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Why do you think we would get 4 comp picks?...

You get comp picks if you lose more free agents than you sign, and when you lose big money free agents and don't sign many big money free agents.

I'm sure Albert could get us a 3rd rounder, and Schwartz, Asamoah, and McCluster get us competitive comp too (Jackson neutralized by Vance Walker signing). I'm guessing signing, say, a Jairus Byrd really hurts that Albert trade comp.

Direckshun
03-23-2014, 09:58 AM

:rolleyes:

I think this post is really stupid on two different grounds:

Owners *do* only care about $$$. But the most reliable formula for selling seats is TO BE SUPER BOWL COMPETITIVE.

I really don't know how people argue with a straight face that zero playoff wins is the Hunts' idea for selling seats. I really don't.

My second point is, EVEN IF THAT IS HUNT'S ONLY CONCERN, then you mortgage the future on a splash free agent this offseason. You don't sit on your ass while Denver signs a Pro Bowl team.

philfree
03-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Let me give you a clue.

Alex Smith wasn't the subject of my post.

I don't think two 2nds was all that much but that 2nd round pick this year could help there's no doubt. True to form though the Chiefs seem to be willing to stand basically pat after a winning season where they seem close to becoming a serious contender. I don't think they just want butts in the seats though IMO they're just not very good at what they do. They want to win a championship they just don't know how.

What was your point again?

booger
03-23-2014, 01:25 PM
I think having Berry around will push Johnson to succeed and make him comfortable. Those guys went to high school together.

no that was Rokevious Watkins and Berry

planetdoc
03-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Breakdown: Chiefs G Rishaw Johnson's snaps vs. the Chargers (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/3/24/5538166/chiefs-rishaw-johnson-snaps-chargers-week-17)

just goes through the snaps...no gifs. Cool thing is that Geoff Schwartz responds and says the author did a good job on the breakdown.

excerpt
Takeaway
Is Rishaw Johnson the future at RG for the Chiefs? After watching every snap of Week 17 multiple times, I can definitively tell you ... I don't know.

I really like how Rishaw played for 95 percent of the game. But when he whiffed, he whiffed BADLY. He also had some of his worst snaps at the worst possible time.

That said, you can definitely see why Schwartz was praising him. He's got very good stength in both his upper and lower body. He can move in space a little bit. He plays until the whistle. He seems to have a mean streak. And he is above average at locking onto defenders at the second level of the defense when asked to do so (at least for a guy at this point in his career).

I can't give my complete vote of confidence to a guy who has played one game. But I will say that after watching Rishaw in action against a desperate group of defenders, I won't be overly surprised if the Chiefs stand pat at guard in the draft. And I won't be terribly upset about it, either.

lest anyone think I'm just a huge homer who likes ANY Chief I watch, let me say frankly that I don't feel the same way about Kush and Rok Watkins. Both of them looked very overmatched against San Diego's defensive front. If either of them has to see playing time this next year, I believe the Chiefs could be in trouble.

Direckshun
03-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Breakdown: Chiefs G Rishaw Johnson's snaps vs. the Chargers (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/3/24/5538166/chiefs-rishaw-johnson-snaps-chargers-week-17)

just goes through the snaps...no gifs. Cool thing is that Geoff Schwartz responds and says the author did a good job on the breakdown.

AWESOME.

Rep.

Mr. Laz
03-24-2014, 12:05 PM

Owners *do* only care about $$$. But the most reliable formula for selling seats is TO BE SUPER BOWL COMPETITIVE.

I really don't know how people argue with a straight face that zero playoff wins is the Hunts' idea for selling seats. I really don't.

My second point is, EVEN IF THAT IS HUNT'S ONLY CONCERN, then you mortgage the future on a splash free agent this offseason. You don't sit on your ass while Denver signs a Pro Bowl team.Heard this same stupid ass argument throughout Carl Peterson's tenure.

willing a super bowl is not the best way to sell tickets

Consistently making the playoffs and giving the fans 'hope' of maybe winning the super bowl is the safest way to sell tickets.

Really going for a Super Bowl involves a ton of risk and often leads to a rebuild. Risk,risk and more risk.

You can often tell which teams are really trying to win a super bowl and which are trying to maintain consist playoffs by their player balance. If you are really trying to win a super bowl then you have roster full of players on the same career time table. Boom or bust.

The Chiefs have half old/half young so that you never have to fully rebuild. It's the safe 'make the playoffs and see what happens' build.

Peterson made a career of this safe build. You build to make the playoffs not the super bowl. Consistency over potential, a super bowl push is too risky.

O.city
03-24-2014, 12:11 PM
You want to give yourself the most chances to win a Super Bowl, consistently making the playoffs is the way to do that.

Mr. Laz
03-24-2014, 12:18 PM
You want to give yourself the most chances to win a Super Bowl, consistently making the playoffs is the way to do that.
good enough to make the playoffs

good enough to win in the playoffs

2 completely different things

As a Chiefs fan, if you don't know that by now then you haven't been paying attention.

MotherfuckerJones
03-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Was Rishaw part of the waiver seven?

O.city
03-24-2014, 12:27 PM
You have to make the playoffs before you can win in the playoffs.

And they aren't completely different things

Mr. Laz
03-24-2014, 12:31 PM

You are either trying to split hairs to be difficult or you just aren't very bright.

have no idea which

ModSocks
03-24-2014, 12:31 PM

This.

So we're back to the ol', "Clark Only cares bout being mediocre" argument eh?

So dumb. It doesn't even pass the common sense test.

O.city
03-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Unless you completely luck into making the playoffs by some crazy easy scheduling, if you make the playoffs, you should be able to win once you get there.

However, just like in any single elimination setting, it's all about matchups.

ModSocks
03-24-2014, 12:33 PM
you just aren't very bright.

have no idea which

We'll...you're the one who seems to think that balancing on the edge of Bad/good is the best way to make money.....

Mr. Laz
03-24-2014, 12:47 PM
We'll...you're the one who seems to think that balancing on the edge of Bad/good is the best way to make money.....
No, balancing on the edge good/great is the safest way to make money.

mcaj22
03-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Was Rishaw part of the waiver seven?

he was a couple days after I think. But still plucked from the Seattle Talent Machine that keeps on churning

The Franchise
03-24-2014, 12:54 PM
He didn't drop due to lack of talent....it was because of character issues.

ModSocks
03-24-2014, 12:55 PM
No, balancing on the edge good/great is the safest way to make money.

You said "Good enough to get in the playoffs, not good enough to win in the playoffs".

That's not balancing between good/great. That's balancing between good/bad.

The best way to make $$$ is to build a dynasty. A consistent winner that competes for championships. Doing that creates fans on a national level, which creates more fans as fathers pass their allegiances on to their children. All of those fans rake in Merchandise, increase T.V ratings and overall, makes it easier to negotiate stadium deals....all of it increases the value of the Franchise.

To sit here and say that Clark only cares about putting butts in the seats is downright dumb. It's a myopic view. If Clark's only concern is making money, then he'd make a shit ton more on a National level....not just filling up Arrowhead in one of the least attractive major U.S cities.....talk about short sighted....

The argument makes zero since when you apply any sort of common sense.

ModSocks
03-24-2014, 01:02 PM
http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/#page:1_sort:5_direction:asc_search:

This Forbes article squashes any retarded idea that being mediocre = profit.

The most successful teams with the newest stadiums and largest fan bases make the most money, while the teams with very little playoff success and old stadiums make the least.....Hrmmmm......

Rausch
03-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Peterson made a career of this safe build. You build to make the playoffs not the super bowl. Consistency over potential, a super bowl push is too risky.

If you don't think Carl was trying to win a SB in 93 you're on crack...

htismaqe
03-24-2014, 02:11 PM

If you've geared your team towards making the playoffs, you haven't necessarily geared your team to WIN in the playoffs.

It's like the 90's never happened.

O.city
03-24-2014, 02:18 PM
If you've geared your team towards making the playoffs, you haven't necessarily geared your team to WIN in the playoffs.

It's like the 90's never happened.

Obviously there are situations where you meet a better team, run into a hog qb playing at a high level, etc you can lose in the playoffs, doesn mean you weren't built wrong.

There's just to many factors involved. The 90s chiefs were built similar to teams who have won SBS, just as the vermeil chiefs were.

However, just as chief fans overvalue comp picks and offensive lineman, they're battered in thinking just because things went wrong for team x in the past, it will happen again.

jd1020
03-24-2014, 02:30 PM
However, just as chief fans overvalue comp picks and offensive lineman, they're battered in thinking just because things went wrong for team x in the past, it will happen again.

People start to think that when its gone wrong for 4 decades in a row.

htismaqe
03-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Obviously there are situations where you meet a better team, run into a hog qb playing at a high level, etc you can lose in the playoffs, doesn mean you weren't built wrong.

There's just to many factors involved. The 90s chiefs were built similar to teams who have won SBS, just as the vermeil chiefs were.

Teams win Super Bowls with their own QBs, not somebody else's.

O.city
03-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Teams win Super Bowls with their own QBs, not somebody else's.

Teams win Sb's with good QB's, thats for sure.

BlackHelicopters
03-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Teams win SBs with good defenses too.

milkman
03-25-2014, 09:36 PM

Other than Carson Palmer to the Cardinals (which may have been a fluke and definitely isn't a long-term answer)... how many late round trades for QB actually do that? I don't like the comp we gave up for Alex Smith. But it's silly that people think because we traded Smith we need to start stockpiling free agents around him immediately to justify the investment. The Seahawks traded a 3rd and a 20-pick 2nd round swap to bring in Charlie Whitehurst. I'd say they still managed to build a terrific team because they focused on the draft.

The Seahawks only gave up 1 draft pick essentially for Whitehurst, no matter how you spin it.

It did, however, take them 4 years to reach, and win a SB.
In 4 years, alex Smith will be 33 years old, and I may have mentioned this before, but only 4 SBs have been won by QBs over the age of 33.
2 2nds is too high price for a caretaker, which is all that Smith will prove to be in your rationalizations.

It's hard to believe that after what the Chiefs did this offseason, that their goal is to just put butts in seats as you claim. If they truly believed that, then why wouldn't they take the safe approach and sign one of their low-priced Guards for cheap? It sure seems to me that what the Chiefs are doing is telling us our primary priority is building through the draft. And I like that a lot better than what we did last year.[/QUOTE]

milkman
03-25-2014, 09:43 PM
And I don't want to go on a spending spree.

You keep saying that this team isn't ready to compete.
You're wrong.

They showed over the last 7 games that they can score points.

With a free safety that can play the back end, an ILB alongside DJ that can play all 3 downs, and another pass rusher or 2, this team would be right there.

2 free agents and the draft.
That's all.

chiefzilla1501
03-25-2014, 10:16 PM
The Seahawks only gave up 1 draft pick essentially for Whitehurst, no matter how you spin it.

It did, however, take them 4 years to reach, and win a SB.
In 4 years, alex Smith will be 33 years old, and I may have mentioned this before, but only 4 SBs have been won by QBs over the age of 33.
2 2nds is too high price for a caretaker, which is all that Smith will prove to be in your rationalizations.

I've been talking about the Seahawks model a lot. That also means taking a lot of gambles on QBs until you find the right one. Which is why I'd love for the Chiefs to draft someone like Aaron Murray. I only support what the Chiefs are doing today if they proactively get ahead of transitioning the QB position.

I don't think Smith has to be a caretaker. I don't see why the Chiefs can't be better than 2013 this season, and if Dorsey does his job well, why we can't be very good by 2015. I like our 2015 chances the way we're doing it now a hell of a lot better than our 2015 chances if we bought some pricey free agents this year.

chiefzilla1501
03-25-2014, 10:33 PM
And I don't want to go on a spending spree.

You keep saying that this team isn't ready to compete.
You're wrong.

They showed over the last 7 games that they can score points.

With a free safety that can play the back end, an ILB alongside DJ that can play all 3 downs, and another pass rusher or 2, this team would be right there.

2 free agents and the draft.
That's all.

You can either choose to bring in 2 free agents today and have 13 picks the next 2 drafts with an average cap situation.

Or you can choose to focus today's money on extending Berry, Smith, and Houston, pick up 3 to 4 comp picks (bringing us to 16 to 17 comp picks), and start making moves that might allow us to trim out an additional $25M+ in cap space in 2015 on top of an already favorable cap situation. And next year's class could shape up to be outstanding with guys like JJ Watt and Earl Thomas potentially in the mix.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 07:30 AM
You can either choose to bring in 2 free agents today and have 13 picks the next 2 drafts with an average cap situation.

Or you can choose to focus today's money on extending Berry, Smith, and Houston, pick up 3 to 4 comp picks (bringing us to 16 to 17 comp picks), and start making moves that might allow us to trim out an additional $25M+ in cap space in 2015 on top of an already favorable cap situation. And next year's class could shape up to be outstanding with guys like JJ Watt and Earl Thomas potentially in the mix.

So what's your schtick gonna be next year and the year after and the year after when we're in the same goddamn position we are now?

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 07:31 AM
I don't know why you keep bringing up JJ Watt and Earl Thomas. They wouldn't sign here in a million fucking years.

milkman
03-26-2014, 07:34 AM

You act as if these comp picks are some kind of panacea.

Albert might garner a 3rd, but he also could go down to injury and garner a 6th.

McCluster is nothing special and won't garner more than a 5th, while Jackson and Schwartz are 6th, 7th rounders, at best.

Big fucking deal.

I'll take the 2 free agents.

O.city
03-26-2014, 07:40 AM
Signing a Chris Clemons to play free safety or a solid wr isn't going to seriously effect comp picks

kcchiefsus
03-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Albert might garner a 3rd, but he also could go down to injury and garner a 6th.

McCluster is nothing special and won't garner more than a 5th, while Jackson and Schwartz are 6th, 7th rounders, at best.

Big ****ing deal.

I'm pretty sure the value of their contracts plays a big part in this. McCluster, Jackson, Schwartz, Asomoah all got decent enough contracts that should factor into us getting higher picks than the 5th or 6th you're predicting.

milkman
03-26-2014, 07:57 AM
I'm pretty sure the value of their contracts plays a big part in this. McCluster, Jackson, Schwartz, Asomoah all got decent enough contracts that should factor into us getting higher picks than the 5th or 6th you're predicting.

The value of the contracts is only a small part of the equation.

Production is the larger part.

Dave Lane
03-26-2014, 08:05 AM

My second point is, EVEN IF THAT IS HUNT'S ONLY CONCERN, then you mortgage the future on a splash free agent this offseason. You don't sit on your ass while Denver signs a Pro Bowl team.

I think his point is the Chiefs keep applying bandaids instead of trading off pieces and doing a full rebuild through the draft as they stated they wanted to do.

The Franchise
03-26-2014, 09:24 AM

There's this thing called the Franchise Tag. Houston and Seattle would never let Watt or Thomas hit the FA market in a million years. Keep fucking dreaming.

thabear04
03-26-2014, 10:23 AM
http://arrowheadaddict.com/2014/03/26/meet-chiefs-new-right-guard/

Meet The Chiefs New Right Guard

It may be with a bit of tongue-in-cheek that I say this but, it looks like the Chiefs have every intention of starting Rishaw Johnson at the Right-Guard position in 2014. And, I have to say, I’m not at all surprised.

Now, basing your whole decision on one game, the last San Diego game, would be foolish at best. However, Andy Reid and his staff have had the opportunity to observe Rishaw Johnson on the practice field since the beginning of last season (and before) and I have a good idea that they’ve been playing their hand out this past season, with a card up their sleeves. That card would be Rishaw Johnson… and his performance in the San Diego game only confirmed what they already knew: Rishaw Johnson is a stud.

So, I went back through every play R. Johnson was a part of in that game and you’ll find that re-cap below. However, before we get into the particulars of that game I want to share further what I’ve come to see as the vision for the Chiefs offensive line in 2014.

Firstly, Eric Fisher is the Left Tackle. Now and in the future. The Chiefs didn’t draft him number one overall to leave him on the right side. The Chiefs aren’t paying him the big bucks to leave him on the right side either. Now, you’ll get no disagreement from me that Fisher left something to be desired last season. However, it was clear to most who were paying attention that Fish progressed greatly over the course of the season and needed an offseason of weight training and film room and play book study. Yes, Fisher came in saying he would play whereever the Chiefs wanted him to but his destiny as a first round selection is Left Tackle, let’s not kid ourselves.

UPDATE: If you can’t live with the idea of Eric Fisher being the Chiefs Left Tackle this year, you better contact Andy Reid directly because just yesterday, Ben Nielsen revealed that Andy Reid has named Eric Fisher his Left Tackle when the Chiefs go to camp.

That designation allows the rest of the pieces to fall in place. Stephenson to Right Tackle, Hudson to Center, and Allen (for now) to Left Guard. Some have suggested that Eric Kush played so well in the San Diego game that he might get a look at the Guard spot. The Chiefs need a back-up Center too much to do that at this point. Plus, if the Chiefs have come to the realization that they can use Kush at Guard then they have an interior swing-man but will still need a swing-man for the tackle positions because Stephenson will become a regular.

Rishaw Johnson (RJ) in the last San Diego Game

Most of the time Rishaw Johnson was pitted against Kendall Reyes, a defensive lineman that the Chargers drafted in the second round in 2012. So, Reyes has had 2 full seasons to mature and should just be coming into his own. And yet, as you’ll see, R. Johnson owned him for most of the game including a pancake early on.

#75, Rishaw Johnson, 6-3, 313, Guard, UDFA by the Seattle Seahawks in 2012

vs.

#91, Kendall Reyes, 6-3, 300, DL, 2nd round pick of the San Diego Chargers in 2012

Please note, most Bolded text is a positive play for Rishaw Johnson. The Underlined and Bolded plays are his pancakes. The RED and Underlined and Bolded plays were bad plays on his part which there were very few of. Almost all the plays in this game were either, plays of no consequence on his part or plays of a positive contribution.

Charger’s DL Kendal Reyes, whom Rishaw Johnson faced most of the day, had 2 tackles and 1 sack in the game. The sack came on a spin move and was well deserved. It was a nice move. Reyes has had 62 tackles in two seasons so he averages 2 tackle per game. Consequently, the two tackles that Rishaw Johnson allowed him were right in line with what any average veteran would have allowed Reyes. Assuming that Rishaw Johnson has more room to grow, he should only get better than this performance against Reyes.

However, Rishaw Johnson had three pancakes in all and over half the plays he participated in were positive plays for him. The sack that Rishaw Johnson allowed was followed by 4 to 5 consecutive positive plays on his part. That’s always a good sign, when a young player makes a mistake, to see them come right back and make some plays of their own and not let down.

This non-homeboy take and unbiased analysis may be right on the money. So, far, their talk about Albert, Schwartz, Asamoah and Allen… as far as I’m concerned… have hit the nail right on the head. There’s so much we’re not privy to with respect to G Rishaw Johnson however, we should pay attention to the relative values the Chiefs brass are expressing in the choices they have made this offseason. They didn’t choose to sign Geoff Schwartz, they signed Joe Mays. Would you rather have Joe Mays or Geoff Schwartz? Knowing what I know, I’d take Schwartz like many fans. However, knowing now what Schwartz signed for, we also know the Chiefs could have afforded him… but didn’t sign him. Why? Because the Chiefs personnel team knows something we don’t. Rishaw Johnson is good. Good enough to be given the Right Guard position… at least the chance to lose it in practice. Other wise, wouldn’t the Chiefs have taken some other action at the front of the Free Agency period?

Now, I will not be at all surprised if the Chiefs take a Guard in the draft. Then again, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Chiefs take a player from any position including QB in this draft. If they’re going to follow through with their vow to take the “best player available” then why should we be surprised if the do exactly that. With that said, if the Chiefs do take a Guard (or a Tackle who they convert to Guard… or take a Tackle who can play RT and move Stephenson inside) in this draft I would not be surprised at all if that choice is to replace Jeff Allen at Left Guard.

Strengths: When I evaluate Rishaw Johnson I see an offensive lineman with tremendous balance. Rishaw uses his hand well. He doesn’t have a great punch but he knows how to use leverage and holds his own when bull rushed. I often notice “RawJo” (what do you think of this nickname? … can’t call him “Johnson” and “Rishaw” won’t do and neither will RiJo, it sounds too much like a Rice-a-Roni treat), anyway… I often notice him sitting in his stance too high while every other lineman on the Chiefs line will have their back more nearly parallel to the ground. What it can mean is… he either is tipping his hand about whether or not it’s going to be a passing play, or he could be giving away leverage when shifting his body into running game mode. RawJo finishes plays and when he gets his man off balance he makes sure they end up on the ground. You gotta love that.

Weaknesses: RawJo doesn’t have an overly big or powerful physical presence. He often chips a defensive lineman and then looks like he doesn’t know where he’s supposed to go, or who he’s supposed to block next. Experience should take care of this but, Johnson will need more work on his run blocking than his pass protection… a plus for Alex Smith, not for JC. However, in the San Diego game Knile Davis had a very good day on the ground. Rishaw will need to learn to not hold on to the defensive lineman’s jersey too long or he’ll be called for holding. In comparison to Rovekious Watkins, who started at Left Guard in the San Diego game, RawJo is far ahead.

Rishaw Johnson reminds me a little bit of Brian Waters and a little bit of Justin Blalock of the Falcons. RawJo is about the same size as Waters and although neither has Superman’s physique, they both get results. Bottom line, that’s all that matters.

After watching the San Diego game through three-plus times, I’m very comfortable with naming Rishaw Johnson the starting Right Tackle for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2014.

The Franchise
03-26-2014, 10:28 AM
I'll be happy for him.....when they don't take a fucking OG in the 1st round this year.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 10:55 AM

Big ****ing deal.

Teams get rewarded more handsomely if they lose more than they add. We will get that. It is not a panacea, but it gives us a few additional picks where the other does not. All 4 of those guys will start. All earn big money.

A good GM can do big things with those picks.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Teams get rewarded more handsomely if they lose more than they add. We will get that. It is not a panacea, but it gives us a few additional picks where the other does not. All 4 of those guys will start. All earn big money.

A good GM can do big things with those picks.

A good GM *might* might get 1 above average player out of those 4 picks. A great GM might get 2.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 10:58 AM
There's this thing called the Franchise Tag. Houston and Seattle would never let Watt or Thomas hit the FA market in a million years. Keep ****ing dreaming.

Franchise tag? So next year, you want to be sinking 30 million dollars on Smith, Houston, and berry? You want to negotiate their contracts after the massive NFL cap increase vs now? If we play our cards right, we could have a shit load of money to spend next year. A lot more than we had this year by a mile.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Franchise tag? So next year, you want to be sinking 30 million dollars on Smith, Houston, and berry? You want to negotiate their contracts after the massive NFL cap increase vs now? If we play our cards right, we could have a shit load of money to spend next year. A lot more than we had this year by a mile.

And they'll do nothing with it.

Rausch
http://arrowheadaddict.com/2014/03/26/meet-chiefs-new-right-guard/

Meet The Chiefs New Right Guard

It may be with a bit of tongue-in-cheek that I say this but, it looks like the Chiefs have every intention of starting Rishaw Johnson at the Right-Guard position in 2014. And, I have to say, I’m not at all surprised.

Now, basing your whole decision on one game, the last San Diego game, would be foolish at best. However, Andy Reid and his staff have had the opportunity to observe Rishaw Johnson on the practice field since the beginning of last season (and before) and I have a good idea that they’ve been playing their hand out this past season, with a card up their sleeves. That card would be Rishaw Johnson… and his performance in the San Diego game only confirmed what they already knew: Rishaw Johnson is a stud.

Such a fucking stud he started how many games?...

chiefzilla1501
A good GM *might* might get 1 above average player out of those 4 picks. A great GM might get 2.

I would gladly take a quality player and depth, and wait one year to get a free agent than add a free agent now and forego the depth. Are we so impatient about this window that we are afraid to wait even one year at the expense of several picks?

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 11:00 AM
I would gladly take a quality player and depth, and wait one year to get a free agent than add a free agent now and forego the depth. Are we so impatient about this window that we are afraid to wait even one year at the expense of several picks?

We all know one year turns into 2 and 2 turns into 4.

The Franchise
03-26-2014, 11:01 AM

My franchise tag comment had zero to do with our team and everything to do with the fact that Houston WILL be franchise tagging Watt and Seattle WILL be franchise tagging Thomas.

Rausch
03-26-2014, 11:05 AM
My franchise tag comment had zero to do with our team and everything to do with the fact that Houston WILL be franchise tagging Watt and Seattle WILL be franchise tagging Thomas.

With Romeo there franchising Watt will be the biggest waste of money in the league...

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 11:10 AM
And they'll do nothing with it.

I'm not sold on Dorsey in the draft either. But it's not even about picks. It's also about whether you want marginal free agents now or wait one year to have the space and flexibility to go after true game changers.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 11:12 AM
I'm not sold on Dorsey in the draft either. But it's not even about picks. It's also about whether you want marginal free agents now or wait one year to have the space and flexibility to go after true game changers.

They won't go after true game changers.

It's marginal free agents now or wait one year and sign more marginal free agents.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 11:13 AM
There's this thing called the Franchise Tag. Houston and Seattle would never let Watt or Thomas hit the FA market in a million years. Keep ****ing dreaming.

No way jj Watt will want to stay in romeos system. And hard to believe a player of thomas' calibre wouldn't test the market, especially with the Seahawks having so many big decisions to make soon including Russell Wilson and Sherman. And those are just two of many free agents to hit the 2015 market.

Rausch
03-26-2014, 11:13 AM

It's marginal free agents now or wait one year and sign more marginal free agents.

True game changers get the franchise tag...

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 11:20 AM
No way jj Watt will want to stay in romeos system. And hard to believe a player of thomas' calibre wouldn't test the market, especially with the Seahawks having so many big decisions to make soon including Russell Wilson and Sherman. And those are just two of many free agents to hit the 2015 market.

Even if they do hit the market, they won't sign here.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 11:25 AM

I don't doubt that they won't do that or flub comp picks. I am giving Dorsey the opportunity to be a good GM and we don't know yet if he is or isn't. A good GM would make good use of the extra picks and massive cap space we'd get in 2015. Again, if he flubs both chances he's not the right guy.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 11:44 AM
I don't doubt that they won't do that or flub comp picks. I am giving Dorsey the opportunity to be a good GM and we don't know yet if he is or isn't. A good GM would make good use of the extra picks and massive cap space we'd get in 2015. Again, if he flubs both chances he's not the right guy.

Again, a guy that could make good use of extra picks and was fully on-board with a plan to use the draft to build wouldn't trade 2 high picks for Alex Smith.

They were desperate and it shows.

milkman
03-26-2014, 11:54 AM

Let me paraphrase what your rationalizations amount to.

Alex Smith needs to surrounded by talent to have any chance to lead this team to a SB, but we aren't going to attempt to surround him with talent until his realistic window to lead this team to a SB is virtually closed.

BossChief
03-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Comp picks next year are gonna be worth very little.

A shitload of underclassmen declared for this draft and that automatically thins next years class. When you start off with a thin class, the talent pool drops off quickly.

I can see us getting a possible starter with a third round comp pick from Albert, but the rest might as well get thrown in the trash.

IMO, I'd LOVE IT if John Dorsey sold off about every pick from next years draft for picks in this years draft...even if we lose a lot of value in the process.

My preference is to use next years picks to move up from our draft slots in this draft.

Use next years third to move up from 23 to take Ebron.

Use next years second and this years third to move up from our third rounder to the mid-late second in this years draft.

Use next years first to get a mid to late second this year.

Next years 4th for a fifth this year

Next years 5th for a 6th this year

Let me say this part clearly...there are almost 200 players in this draft class with a third round or higher grade. 200. Think about that for awhile and you will understand why my outside the box idea is fucking brilliant.

With all of those moves, we would get better players than if we kept our picks and waited till next year.

BossChief
03-26-2014, 12:53 PM
So what's your schtick gonna be next year and the year after and the year after when we're in the same goddamn position we are now?

No way will we be in the same position in 2 years.

Charles
Bowe
Hali
Flowers

These guys will be either gone, or will be a shell of what they currently are.

These guys need to use this draft to bolster this lineup NOW while we still have a chance of winning something with the talent we have drafted and developed.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 01:00 PM

Charles
Bowe
Hali
Flowers

These guys need to use this draft to bolster this lineup NOW while we still have a chance of winning something with the talent we have drafted and developed.

We wasted Derrick Thomas' career. We wasted Christian Okoye's. We wasted Priest Holmes', Trent Green's, and James Hasty's.

Chiefs way.

RealSNR
03-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Comp picks next year are gonna be worth very little.

A shitload of underclassmen declared for this draft and that automatically thins next years class. When you start off with a thin class, the talent pool drops off quickly.

I can see us getting a possible starter with a third round comp pick from Albert, but the rest might as well get thrown in the trash.

IMO, I'd LOVE IT if John Dorsey sold off about every pick from next years draft for picks in this years draft...even if we lose a lot of value in the process.

My preference is to use next years picks to move up from our draft slots in this draft.

Use next years third to move up from 23 to take Ebron.

Use next years second and this years third to move up from our third rounder to the mid-late second in this years draft.

Use next years first to get a mid to late second this year.

Next years 4th for a fifth this year

Next years 5th for a 6th this year

Let me say this part clearly...there are almost 200 players in this draft class with a third round or higher grade. 200. Think about that for awhile and you will understand why my outside the box idea is fucking brilliant.

With all of those moves, we would get better players than if we kept our picks and waited till next year.

I gotta think that other teams are going to be aware of this strategy and also trying to sell off next year's stock as much as they can. Either that, or our trade partners that buy up our 2015 picks are going to devalue them far more than you're anticipating.

For example, if we want to acquire a 2nd rounder in 2014, it's possible they'll ask for MORE than just our 1st round pick in 2015.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 03:43 PM

Charles
Bowe
Hali
Flowers

They will also free up 30 mill in cap space to buy a replacement if they can't replace in the draft. And while any good GM should be able to replace a guy like Bowe or flowers or dj. Let's not oversell the crisis we are in a few years from now. If we draft well and open up cap space to buy playmakers, we will barely notice the transition.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Let me paraphrase what your rationalizations amount to.

Alex Smith needs to surrounded by talent to have any chance to lead this team to a SB, but we aren't going to attempt to surround him with talent until his realistic window to lead this team to a SB is virtually closed.

My scenario assumes we keep pushing for a young QB as Seattle and San Fran did. It also shows that if we play our cards right, we can improve in 2014 and significantly improve in 2015 because of our massive amount of cap space and the depth 17 picks provides to our roster.

Would you agree that if KC can find their kaepernick or Russell Wilson, then what we are doing now is a good approach? It worked nicely for the 49ers.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 03:57 PM
They will also free up 30 mill in cap space to buy a replacement if they can't replace in the draft. And while any good GM should be able to replace a guy like Bowe or flowers or dj. Let's not oversell the crisis we are in a few years from now. If we draft well and open up cap space to buy playmakers, we will barely notice the transition.

Transition from 1-and-done to 1-and-done. Of course, nobody will notice.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 03:58 PM
My scenario assumes we keep pushing for a young QB as Seattle and San Fran did. It also shows that if we play our cards right, we can improve in 2014 and significantly improve in 2015 because of our massive amount of cap space and the depth 17 picks provides to our roster.

Would you agree that if KC can find their kaepernick or Russell Wilson, then what we are doing now is a good approach? It worked nicely for the 49ers.

Your "if" relies on us doing something that we haven't ever done, in the entire history of the franchise.

RunKC
03-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Again, a guy that could make good use of extra picks and was fully on-board with a plan to use the draft to build wouldn't trade 2 high picks for Alex Smith.

They were desperate and it shows.

Dorsey knew this team was capable of making the playoff with a good QB bc there was was a lot of talent already.

You act as if he's pulling a Herm and going completely young everywhere.

I think Dorsey wants to build this team through the draft but keep older pieces as long as he can while adding some veteran free agent players to the team.

mcaj22
03-26-2014, 04:02 PM
well we could have found our Kaepernick or Wilson, when we actually could have fucking drafted them, but opted to go for offensive lineman or a slow WR that everyone knew was going to be a bust.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Dorsey knew this team was capable of making the playoff with a good QB bc there was was a lot of talent already.

You act as if he's pulling a Herm and going completely young everywhere.

I think Dorsey wants to build this team through the draft but keep older pieces as long as he can while adding some veteran free agent players to the team.

So a perennial 1-and-done. Awesome.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Your "if" relies on us doing something that we haven't ever done, in the entire history of the franchise.

Yes. But I'll give Dorsey the opportunity to prove he can. I prefer that over the band aid approach, which is something we always do and it's failed miserably. At least with my scenario, there is hope that might try something different.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Yes. But I'll give Dorsey the opportunity to prove he can. I prefer that over the band aid approach, which is something we always do and it's failed miserably. At least with my scenario, there is hope that might try something different.

The band aid approach?

You mean the VERY FIRST thing Dorsey did when he got here?

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Transition from 1-and-done to 1-and-done. Of course, nobody will notice.

Massage it all you want, adding two guys this year is probably a two and done strategy at absolute best.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 04:20 PM
The band aid approach?

You mean the VERY FIRST thing Dorsey did when he got here?

There is a difference between band aiding to bring the team to respectability and band aiding to create a false illusion that you are a Super Bowl contender. I was not a big fan of what we did last year. But I also know that unlike most band aid situations, we actually set up a really strong cap situation the next two years.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Massage it all you want, adding two guys this year is probably a two and done strategy at absolute best.

Two-and-done sounds a lot better than no playoff wins in 20 years...

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 04:21 PM
There is a difference between band aiding to bring the team to respectability and band aiding to create a false illusion that you are a Super Bowl contender. I was not a big fan of what we did last year. But I also know that unlike most band aid situations, we actually set up a really strong cap situation the next two years.

And when they fail to take advantage of it?

Future promises are bullshit. We both know this team NEVER capitalizes on the future...

Messier
03-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Future promises are bullshit. We both know this team NEVER capitalizes on the future...

You sure say when this happens, and when that happens, a lot. If you're so sure of future disappointment, I can't think why you have any interest in the Chiefs at all.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 04:26 PM
You sure say when this happens, and when that happens, a lot. If you're so sure of future disappointment, I can't think why you have any interest in the Chiefs at all.

I don't really. I just like talking about it on Chiefsplanet.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 04:29 PM

I would rather take those chances than lay up on the same approach we've used for years. At least what we are doing this year resembles a strategy a good team might use.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 04:30 PM
I would rather take those chances than lay up on the same approach we've used for years. At least what we are doing this year resembles a strategy a good team might use.

Or a strategy a Herm team might use...

lcarus
03-26-2014, 04:48 PM
good enough to make the playoffs

good enough to win in the playoffs

2 completely different things

As a Chiefs fan, if you don't know that by now then you haven't been paying attention.

We've been good enough to win in the playoffs several times. For whatever reason it just hasn't happened for us. I still cannot believe we blew the Colts game. I'm sure like most of you, I was celebrating our first playoff victory in 2 decades at halftime. :grr:

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Or a strategy a Herm team might use...

Herm and Kuharich had a great strategy if pioli didn't fuck up the momentum. But this strategy isn't close to the same thing as what they did.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Herm and Kuharich had a great strategy if pioli didn't fuck up the momentum. But this strategy isn't close to the same thing as what they did.

Band-aid in year 1, try to make the playoffs. Fail and then start over with a build through the draft approach.

It's almost exactly the same thing.

RunKC
03-26-2014, 05:02 PM
So a perennial 1-and-done. Awesome.

This was as stupid of an comment as it gets.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 05:03 PM
This was as stupid of an comment as it gets.

Of course it is. Almost as stupid as counting on this team to stockpile picks and cash and then actually spend them wisely.

RunKC
03-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Of course it is. Almost as stupid as counting on this team to stockpile picks and cash and then actually spend them wisely.

Except they did spend it wisely last year. Oops.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 05:06 PM

ROFL

O.city
03-26-2014, 05:07 PM

How so?

20 mil in cap space, and our free agent haul ended up being a te that stayed broken, a good #2 cb maybe, a one dimensional de and a we we are now looking to replace (apparently so is the team).

We spent, we always spend. Just not always wise.

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 05:08 PM
How so?

20 mil in cap space, and our free agent haul ended up being a te that stayed broken, a good #2 cb maybe, a one dimensional de and a we we are now looking to replace (apparently so is the team).

How could you forget Dunta Robinson? He was awesome!

RunKC
03-26-2014, 05:09 PM
ROFL

Tell me again how that's not true? Try elaborating this time instead of using emoji's.

O.city
03-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Fwiw, I like the Sean smith signing, think he's a good fit. I also like putting Rishaw at rg.

But come on.

O.city
03-26-2014, 05:10 PM
How could you forget Dunta Robinson? He was awesome!

Damn

htismaqe
03-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Tell me again how that's not true? Try elaborating this time instead of using emoji's.

Why would I explain something that you can't possibly comprehend? You love the Fisher pick. You love the Alex Smith trade.

You've bought into their plan hook, line, and sinker. Enjoy it.

RunKC
03-26-2014, 05:11 PM
How so?

Geoff Schwartz
Sean Smith
Akeem Jordan
Husain Abdullah
Alex Smith (we took on his salary)

Every one of those guys were good players last year. Of course you can make a case that Donnie Avery was okay, but not a great signing by any means.

RunKC
03-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Why would I explain something that you can't possibly comprehend? You love the Fisher pick. You love the Alex Smith trade.

You've bought into their plan hook, line, and sinker. Enjoy it.

Speaking of not comprehending!

htismaqe
Geoff Schwartz
Sean Smith
Akeem Jordan
Husain Abdullah
Alex Smith (we took on his salary)

Every one of those guys were good players last year. Of course you can make a case that Donnie Avery was okay, but not a great signing by any means.

So Geoff Schwartz is a good signing when it supports your homerism but when they let him go, he's a scrub not worth the money?

ROFL

O.city
Also I don't think they're thinking Alex smith is necessarily a band aid. I legitimately think they feel he can be the late season playoff Alex smith here for 5 years.