PDA

View Full Version : Life Woman resists KU developers $600k offer to move

Deberg_1990
03-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Holy cow. at least take the money and give it to your kids woman!

LAWRENCE — From Indiana Street near the edge of the University of Kansas campus, you can barely see the top of Georgia Bell’s house

It sits at the bottom of 26 old, steep and uneven concrete steps. Two city officials descended those steps recently to talk to Bell about selling her place to a Chicago developer.

The man has offered what seems a reasonable price for a one-bedroom, 840-square-foot house built nearly a hundred years ago, especially considering the roof sags and leaks. She’s got a plywood patch in the kitchen floor, and the front door has no header so Bell, 91, crams a towel up there to block the cold wind.

The siding is rotting away like old food.

The developer’s offer: $600,000. Considering Bell and her husband gave $850 for the house in 1946, one might think she saw this Chicago fellow coming. But after nearly a year of talk, she’s turned him down. She feels like she’s being forced out of the home where she raised six children. Their photos hang on the walls.

“I done broke the ice here and now they want to sweep me out,” she said. “I got nowhere to go and it’s like I don’t matter.”

Lawrence officials and the developer, Jim Heffernan of HERE LLC, made clear she can stay. No one is talking about forcing her out through eminent domain.

“We have no desire for that,” Heffernan said.

His company’s plan calls for a five-story, state-of-the-art residential and retail complex with 156 student housing units — each with an 18-foot loft ceiling. There will be restaurants, a rooftop garden, a fitness center and swimming pool, all topped off with an automated robotic parking garage that picks up cars and sets them down like books on a shelf.

The whole complex will be U-shaped. Nestled inside the opening, like a rusty hood ornament to all the grandeur, will sit Georgia Bell’s ramshackle house — if she stays put.

And she’ll be trapped if she does. When she wants to leave now, she goes out the back to a parking lot because she can no longer get up those concrete steps in the front. The new complex will fill that parking lot with five towering stories of KU student life.

She’ll be stuck between a rock chalk and a steep place.

She may have to cave. And she can see the plus side of having some extra cash for the the first time in her life.

“I only weigh 98 pounds,” she said. “I’d like to be a little fleshier. Maybe get my teeth fixed and buy a new car.”

She paused long enough for worry to retake her face.

“Everybody has to move on, but I got nothing to grab on to.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stand at the top of those old steps and look west and you’ll see KU’s Memorial Stadium. Turn around, there’s two fraternity houses.

Down at the end of the block stands the Oread Hotel, a popular stay for campus visitors, especially those attending Jayhawk games. Student apartments, known as Berkeley Flats, surround Georgia Bell’s little house. Those apartments are coming down to make way for the project.

Connor Terrill, 23, a junior from Leawood with a blue mohawk haircut, lives behind her.

“Frankly, I don’t see how she could be very happy living there,” he said.

His mother, Cathy Terrill, wasn’t so sure, noting that Bell had been there nearly 70 years.

“She’s been doing it all this time,” she said.

Michael Moeder, whose balcony hovers over Bell’s house, compared her to his grandmother who lives in Sabetha, Kan.

“That’s a nice, quiet little town, and she wouldn’t like it here at all,” he said. “It can get pretty crazy around here.”

It may work in Bell’s favor that she doesn’t hear too well.

Jared Smith, 19, can see why Bell doesn’t want to sell.

“She’s 91 — what’s she going to do with all that money?” he asked. “It might not mean anything to her.”

Lawrence City Commissioner Bob Schumm pointed out that the developer’s offer of $600,000 — which Bell formally received Wednesday — is more than six times the current appraised value of $93,500.

But Bell hasn’t budged. Last week, the commission approved the HERE project, and Heffernan said construction will begin later this year, regardless of what she decides.

“I don’t think she’s going to be happy if she stays,” Schumm said. “But she raised her family there and she’s got the security of those four walls.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The KU students see Bell down below, sweeping off her patio, picking up a stray beer can.

She doesn’t know them. They don’t know her. If anything, she might be “the crazy old woman with a gun.”

Bell waves her hand at that. Yes, the police came one day, but it’s a BB gun and she uses it to shoot squirrels that try to get into her attic.

The students’ world is not hers. They go by with backpacks, headphones, iPads and mountain bikes. She grew up poor in Lawrence, eating a Sunday dinner of neck bones and beans. Her mother cooked for a sorority.

“I was lucky to get a GED,” she said.

The mother and father she knew growing up turned out to be her grandparents. Her real mother — Bell knew her as a family acquaintance — didn’t come around till later. When she did, Bell remembers her grandmother saying: “I knew you’d want her when she could hold a broom.”

Bell married fairly young. What did her husband, Eleanor Bell, do for a living?

“That’s the problem,” she said. “Not much.”

She raised the children largely alone. She took in laundry, doing all the folding and ironing, darning and mending. She worked at a turnpike toll booth for a while.

“I knew my life wasn’t what it should be, but I didn’t know anything,” she said.

One son lives nearby, and the others are spread around. She didn’t want any of them to speak for a story about her housing situation.

“They want to stay out of it, but yet they’re in it,” she said. “One of them said to take the money and run.”

But the decision will be hers. She knows time is against her. She couldn’t even scale the steep bank to tend her forsythia and honeysuckle. Both are gone now.

She knits and sews. Her 17 parakeets keep her company.

“I don’t have friends,” she said. “Don’t have time. Something’s always breaking down.”

There’s a tree fallen over in the backyard from wind. It brought a utility line down when it crashed to the ground, but she doesn’t know what the line went to.

She’s a little unsteady, walks with a cane and uses a dolly to wheel in groceries, but she thinks she’s getting along OK. She drives a 1987 Pontiac Sunbird.

“I don’t have to go to somebody else to get me a drink of water.”

Still, Georgia Bell wonders what she will do if she sells and leaves this place. She knows they’ll knock it down as soon as she’s clear of the door. Where will she go?

“I don’t want an apartment or any group living,” she said. “I want to keep living like I am.

“I want to take my trash out.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/19/4902089/91-year-old-woman-in-lawrence.html#tnt_refhome#storylink=cpy

Beef Supreme
03-20-2014, 10:34 AM
She's 91. Save the 600k and wait a few days.

vailpass
03-20-2014, 10:36 AM
She should tie a bunch of balloons to her house and float away in it.

Jimmya
03-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Moooooooove!

HoneyBadger
03-20-2014, 10:39 AM
A lifetime of poor financial decisions.

One more won't make a difference.

The Franchise
03-20-2014, 10:40 AM
$600k and you've got nowhere to go? Take the money and go. Shit....just use that money to buy a plot of land and move your fucking house somewhere else.

TLO
03-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Stupid old people. Go crash into Walmart you old bag.

planetdoc
03-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Holy cow. at least take the money and give it to your kids woman!

her property is not for sale. that is her right. Just because someone else wants to buy doesnt mean she has to sell.

She's 91. Save the 600k and wait a few days.

might not make a difference if she has a will or power of attorney.

oldandslow
03-20-2014, 10:54 AM
She has lived there her whole life and obviously wants to die there. I respect and understand that.

Money, although you guys prolly won't believe it, isn't everything.

vailpass
03-20-2014, 10:57 AM
She has lived there her whole life and obviously wants to die there. I respect and understand that.

Yep. That isn't just a house. She hears her kids running down the hall there, sees her husband at the table. That place is her life...

Bearcat
03-20-2014, 11:01 AM
“I was lucky to get a GED,” she said.

Apparently.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 11:43 AM
take the money and move to one of these gated assisted living places for the last 10 years of your life

they do all the maintenance and have all sorts of community events

:shrug:

Pasta Little Brioni
03-20-2014, 11:45 AM
ROFL

vailpass
03-20-2014, 11:47 AM
take the money and move to one of these gated assisted living places for the last 10 years of your life

I hear you but
doing for yourself keeps a lot of elderly alive. Like she said, "I don't have to ask for a drink of water/I want to take out my own garbage". She'd have no purpose, no memories and would die soon and unhappy.

planetdoc
03-20-2014, 11:55 AM

dont know how familiar you are with assisted living centers and nursing homes. They are very expensive. Although they will meet your basic needs, they do a good job making sure residents leave the world the same way they came in....with nothing.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 11:59 AM
dont know how familiar you are with assisted living centers and nursing homes. They are very expensive. Although they will meet your basic needs, they do a good job making sure residents leave the world the same way they came in....with nothing.
I wasn't talking about a nursing home, i was thinking more along the lines of these apartment complexes that are for older people.

admittedly i don't know much about them

I was just thinking she could meet some people around her own age and maybe enjoy that last years of her life. :shrug:

Dayze
03-20-2014, 12:01 PM
thanks Obama.

Mr. Laz
I hear you but
doing for yourself keeps a lot of elderly alive. Like she said, "I don't have to ask for a drink of water/I want to take out my own garbage". She'd have no purpose, no memories and would die soon and unhappy.
whatever makes her happy

I don't believe that people should be forced out of their homes for businesses or even the government.

The Franchise
Yep. That isn't just a house. She hears her kids running down the hall there, sees her husband at the table. That place is her life...

Then use some of that money to move the house. Make that a condition of the sale. $600k and you move the house to a location of my choosing.

vailpass
03-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Then use some of that money to move the house. Make that a condition of the sale. $600k and you move the house to a location of my choosing.
Good point.
I'm guessing it's the locale as well. From the sounds of it that house would fall apart if you tried to move it.
I feel bad for the woman. Be cool if they built around her like they said, made her an access way and the students kind of adopted her...

vailpass
03-20-2014, 12:07 PM
whatever makes her happy

I don't believe that people should be forced out of their homes for businesses or even the government.

I hear you. I'm sensitive to it as my grandma lived to 101 in the same house she'd been in since she was 19. Kept a garden, raised African violets, died happy at home.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Compton would probably just have her whacked...

J Diddy
03-20-2014, 12:12 PM
$600k for a house that's falling apart in Kansas? I'd take the money and run right into a senior citizen community in Florida.

The Franchise
03-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Good point.
I'm guessing it's the locale as well. From the sounds of it that house would fall apart if you tried to move it.
I feel bad for the woman. Be cool if they built around her like they said, made her an access way and the students kind of adopted her...

Maybe they can buy part of her land and let her use that money to improve her house.

vailpass
03-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Maybe they can buy part of her land and let her use that money to improve her house.

That's a damn good idea though I'm guessing they want the whole bulldozer show...

J Diddy
03-20-2014, 12:19 PM
That's a damn good idea though I'm guessing they want the whole bulldozer show...

Going on with the project as planned and statements that she isn't going to like it tells me that they are not going to waste anytime worrying about her comfort. I can see them making this as uncomfortable as possible during the early stages of construction, dropping their offer to market value, and then getting what they wanted at a fraction of the price they offered.

It's a shitty thing but she really should have just taken the huge offer.

vailpass
03-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Going on with the project as planned and statements that she isn't going to like it tells me that they are not going to waste anytime worrying about her comfort. I can see them making this as uncomfortable as possible during the early stages of construction, dropping their offer to market value, and then getting what they wanted at a fraction of the price they offered.

It's a shitty thing but she really should have just taken the huge offer.

You're probably right...

Graystoke
03-20-2014, 12:55 PM
I can see her point.
My Grandfather had a house that developers always wanted. He had his garden and his ways. My Dad's wisdom was those guys can wait, I want Grandad happy. So he died in that house, happy. Within two months the place was gone.

Predarat
03-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Those cheap Jayhawk bastards need to offer her a million. Its not like they can't afford it.

kepp
03-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Apparently.

LMAOLMAO

03-20-2014, 01:47 PM
JFC take that money and run lady.

Pablo
03-20-2014, 03:14 PM
People get old and set in their ways I suppose.

I can't see the joy in living in the midst of a bunch of college kids at 90+ years old.

BlackHelicopters
03-20-2014, 03:14 PM
LMAO

ChiefaRoo
03-20-2014, 03:44 PM
KU athletics trying to shove an old lady out of her home and then bulldozing it while she watches. Time for karma to jump up and bite they gheyhawks in the tourney. Down goes Kansas!!

Deberg_1990
03-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Here is her house from birds eye Google Maps. You cant even see it through the trees really. Its just amazing to me how people like her just meander through life. No ambition. Just content to let life happen around them.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=1115+Indiana+Street,+Lawrence,+KS&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=1115+indiana+street+&amp; sll=31.168934,-100.076842&amp;sspn=11.436836,21.51123&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=1115+Indiana+St,+Lawrence,+Kansas+66044&amp;ll= 38.963187,-95.24327&amp;spn=0.001796,0.002626&amp;z=14&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=1115+Indiana+Street,+Lawrence,+KS&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=1115+indiana+street +&amp;sll=31.168934,-100.076842&amp;sspn=11.436836,21.51123&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=1115+Indiana+St,+Lawrence,+Kansas+66044&amp;ll= 38.963187,-95.24327&amp;spn=0.001796,0.002626&amp;z=14" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Braincase
03-20-2014, 03:52 PM
KU athletics trying to shove an old lady out of her home and then bulldozing it while she watches. Time for karma to jump up and bite they gheyhawks in the tourney. Down goes Kansas!!

KU Athletics has nothing to do with this.

Pablo
03-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Poor ol' broad would just have to stand there and count her stacks of money while they bulldozed her little house.

I feel so bad for her.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-20-2014, 03:54 PM
it's like I don't matter

Well atleast the old idiot got one thing right.

Micjones
03-20-2014, 03:55 PM

Know your audience, man.

ChiefaRoo
03-20-2014, 03:56 PM
KU Athletics has nothing to do with this.

That's not what I'm hearing. Allegedly, Bill Self is going evict her himself. Apparently the only things he hates worse than old people is children and dogs.

vailpass
03-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Here is here house from birds eye Google Maps. You cant even see it through the trees really. Its just amazing to me how people like her just meander through life. No ambition. Just content to let life happen around them.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Kansas+University,+Jayhawk+Boulevard,+Lawrence,+KS&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=kans as+uni&amp;sll=31.168934,-100.076842&amp;sspn=11.436836,21.51123&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=Kansas+University,+Jayhawk+Boulevard,+Lawrence,+KS&amp;ll= 38.955126,-95.257029&amp;spn=0.024783,0.035263&amp;t=h&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Kansas+University,+Jayhawk+Boulevard,+Lawrence,+KS&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=ka nsas+uni&amp;sll=31.168934,-100.076842&amp;sspn=11.436836,21.51123&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=Kansas+University,+Jayhawk+Boulevard,+Lawrence,+KS&amp;ll= 38.955126,-95.257029&amp;spn=0.024783,0.035263&amp;t=h" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
That seems pretty judgemental...

Deberg_1990
03-20-2014, 04:00 PM
That seems pretty judgemental...

Sort of i guess.....didnt mean it to be hurtful. Shes entitled to do as she wishes of course.

ChiefaRoo
03-20-2014, 04:02 PM
Poor ol' broad would just have to stand there and count her stacks of money while they bulldozed her little house.

I feel so bad for her.

Is it true that Brady Morningstar gets drunk every weekend and drives his car through her lawn? Every damn weekend?!

vailpass
03-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Sort of i guess.....didnt mean it to be hurtful. Shes entitled to do as she wishes of course.

Yeah didn't seem like you...woman wants to die where she lived. 91 is old for making changes.

Rain Man
03-20-2014, 04:30 PM
The challenge is her age. If she was 60 and wanted to keep living there, she could probably cut a deal to get one of the new apartments for life. But at 91, the odds aren't that high that she'll live through the 2 or 3 years of construction to build them.

In that case, she's better off taking the money. But perhaps at her age, her best option is to just stay put and let them wait a couple of years to redevelop it. I just hope they don't use government force to take it from her.

Shogun
03-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Do some of you not realize you are berating somebody who (like most women her age, lets be honest) Got married very young, education be damned to tend to their husbands and kids for their entire lives? Yeah, 600k is a lot a money, but you can't put a price on your own comfort in some cases, especially one like this. Just let her live her last years for fuck sake.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Here is her house from birds eye Google Maps. You cant even see it through the trees really. Its just amazing to me how people like her just meander through life. No ambition. Just content to let life happen around them.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=1115+Indiana+Street,+Lawrence,+KS&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=1115+indiana+street+&amp; sll=31.168934,-100.076842&amp;sspn=11.436836,21.51123&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=1115+Indiana+St,+Lawrence,+Kansas+66044&amp;ll= 38.963187,-95.24327&amp;spn=0.001796,0.002626&amp;z=14&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=1115+Indiana+Street,+Lawrence,+KS&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=1115+indiana+street +&amp;sll=31.168934,-100.076842&amp;sspn=11.436836,21.51123&amp;t=h&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=1115+Indiana+St,+Lawrence,+Kansas+66044&amp;ll= 38.963187,-95.24327&amp;spn=0.001796,0.002626&amp;z=14" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

What is wrong with that? It is her life and her house.

Deberg_1990
03-20-2014, 04:56 PM
The challenge is her age. If she was 60 and wanted to keep living there, she could probably cut a deal to get one of the new apartments for life. But at 91, the odds aren't that high that she'll live through the 2 or 3 years of construction to build them.

In that case, she's better off taking the money. But perhaps at her age, her best option is to just stay put and let them wait a couple of years to redevelop it. I just hope they don't use government force to take it from her.

Yea, I'm not sure why she wouldn't take the money for her family at least? Probably more to the story there......
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
03-20-2014, 04:59 PM
She is comfortable there. What don't u get. She doesn't care about the money or some douches getting a dorm.

Deberg_1990
03-20-2014, 05:00 PM
What is wrong with that? It is her life and her house.

There is nothing wrong with it. I just cant relate to it.

Rain Man
03-20-2014, 05:02 PM
If she's 91, her children are likely retired and getting Social Security. Maybe she feels no need to help with their retirement.

And I guess if everyone's honorable they'll get the money in a few years anyway, right? Or is this a deal where she'll die and the government will instantly condemn her home and value it at $20,000?

UL Washington
03-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Something like this happened in Seattle I wish I could remember the details but they basically built a huge building around some poor SOB's old house that wouldn't sell out.

UL Washington
03-20-2014, 09:20 PM
Oh yeah here it is, this is awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Macefield

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Edith_Macefield%27s_house.jpg/800px-Edith_Macefield%27s_house.jpg

Deberg_1990
03-20-2014, 09:27 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Edith_Macefield%27s_house.jpg/800px-Edith_Macefield%27s_house.jpg

Pretty cool!

The same thing could potentially happen with this KU house, as long as the developers don't turn into dicks about the situation.

Rain Man
03-20-2014, 09:29 PM

That's pretty cool. If I owned the house, I would paint murals of a Tuscan landscape on those walls.

TLO
03-20-2014, 09:37 PM

Looks like the perfect car to crash into Walmart with.

Sannyasi
03-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Sounds to me like she's wise enough to know what's important to her and what isn't.

Perineum Ripper
03-20-2014, 10:07 PM
If she is happy living there and can take care of herself then good for her

My grandmother is the same with her house..her and my grandpa raised their 4 kids there..my cousins and I all grew up there..my grandpa died in 09 and she won't leave..The house is old and needs to be torn down but she won't do it..it's not only where she has 50 plus years of memories of family and her husband but it's part of who she is

J Diddy
03-20-2014, 10:09 PM
That's pretty cool. If I owned the house, I would paint murals of a Tuscan landscape on those walls.

I was thinking Mizzou stuff everywhere.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Sounds to me like she's wise enough to know what's important to her and what isn't.

Well paid college kids!!!/PBambitch

Deberg_1990
03-21-2014, 06:23 AM
When she passes away in 3 weeks, they should turn it into a frat house in her honor.
Posted via Mobile Device