PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink stainless steel pans

Holladay
03-20-2014, 08:15 PM
I've got a nice 12" pan and the wife hates it. "It's a pain to clean". I've heard that SS is one of the best types to cook with.

So, I'm not much of a cook. Why is stainless steel a good pan?....Even heating?

How do you clean the thing?

We have a number of teflon coated pan that seem to work fine with less fuss.

???

Mr. Laz
03-20-2014, 08:18 PM
there is a thread about cookware somewhere around here

Dunerdr
03-20-2014, 08:19 PM
I've got as and agree a mofo to clean. Probably not worse than Teflon, but Teflon probably hides it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Stainless steel pans are affordable and they don't leech chemicals like non-stick surfaces. Unlike anodized pans, you can subject them to about any type of cleaning without damaging the surface permanently.

Try using vinegar.

GloucesterChief
03-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Steel and cast iron are great when you need to cook something on a stove top and then put it in the oven.

I find that cast iron and steel does better than teflon when you want to make a pan sauce.

Tacoman
03-20-2014, 08:22 PM
I have stainless steel pans. They are a bitch to clean if you dont do it right.

Try boiling a little water with a splash of dawn dishsoap in it, the mess will come right out. Or, boil 1/3rd parts of vinegar with 2 parts water

Simply Red
03-20-2014, 08:23 PM
I buy $7 dish soap just to post it here and piss off the other posters.

J Diddy
03-20-2014, 08:25 PM
I threw out my nonstick pans because I've always used stainless steel when working in restaurants. As far as cleaning I just let mine soak and it generally comes off pretty easy.

Just Passin' By
03-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Stainless - great for creating fond/sauces, dishwasher cleaning
Anodized - for the times when non-stick matters
Cast iron - maximum heat

I go with All Clad, Analon and Lodge, respectively, since my older cast iron set was lost when I moved.

The key with stainless is heat control. Start high, and put your oil in when the stainless is already at temp. FMB will probably be happy to go into more depth.

Cornstock
03-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Its a little more expensive, but ceramic is great. Not the cheap ones as seen on tv, but you can burn something on and it falls right off. I hear stone is better but ive never tried it
Posted via Mobile Device

Holladay
03-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Thanks for your responses. We are not chefs and want easy. Thus thinking to stick with non-stick. In that regard, I guess I will donate the pan to charity:)

mlyonsd
03-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Cast iron - maximum heat

I go with All Clad, Analon and Lodge, respectively, since my older cast iron set was lost when I moved.

The key with stainless is heat control. Start high, and put your oil in when the stainless is already at temp. FMB will probably be happy to go into more depth.All good.

RJ
03-20-2014, 08:59 PM
I like stainless steel, especially for sauteeing. Try Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning. You don't need to use it every time, just periodically. I find an occasional scrubbing with this makes the surface more non-stick.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ldizjc.jpg

Cannibal
03-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Its a little more expensive, but ceramic is great. Not the cheap ones as seen on tv, but you can burn something on and it falls right off. I hear stone is better but ive never tried it
Posted via Mobile Device

I love our ceramic.

But steak, burgers and chops must go on cast iron.

Holladay
03-20-2014, 09:52 PM
But steak, burgers and chops must go on cast iron.

Thinking those should be on the grill:)

Holladay
03-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Bar Keepers Friend

Sounds great. I will try and find that tomorrow.

To be more specific on how we use pans: breaded tenderloins, bacon, eggs, brats, german noodles and sauces.

Is there an advantage for SS vs non-stick?

jspchief
03-21-2014, 02:59 AM

To be more specific on how we use pans: breaded tenderloins, bacon, eggs, brats, german noodles and sauces.

Use a nonstick for eggs. Everything else stainless is great. The key is giving the pan more time to preheat.

And I second bar keepers friend.

BlackHelicopters
03-21-2014, 06:52 AM
Does the pan. Fart and have a splashy poop after you use it?

blaise
03-21-2014, 07:15 AM
I use some baking soda and water on my stainless steel pan and it seems to clean it right up.

kepp
03-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Does the pan. Fart and have a splashy poop after you use it?

You really shouldn't use cookware like that. Maybe back in the single days when you used throw-away pans, but now that you have a good set, treat it right. You don't need to cook like that to make a great meal.

underEJ
03-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Use a nonstick for eggs. Everything else stainless is great. The key is giving the pan more time to preheat.

And I second bar keepers friend.

I finally learned how to use my stainless for eggs and it is great. Like you said, heat first, for eggs medium fire seems to work nicely. When it is hot, I use a spray oil, canola or olive, generously like two full circles around the pan. Wait a few seconds for it to heat, then crack eggs in. As it is cooking, I occasionally shake the pan a bit to be sure the eggs still slide around. They should flip easily just like a nonstick.

And third to bar keepers friend. My pans on occasion get a patch of trouble, but a nice scour with the bar keepers friend gets them right back in line.

Simply Red
03-21-2014, 10:58 AM
I just dropped $350 on cookware at TJ Maxx - knives - china - saute pans etc etc - because I had almost nothing that was worth a shit. It just needed to be done - that bullet needed to be bitten.

Fire Me Boy!
03-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Cast iron - maximum heat

The key with stainless is heat control. Start high, and put your oil in when the stainless is already at temp. FMB will probably be happy to go into more depth.

It genuinely makes me happy that I get mentioned in these threads. :)

Truth. And cheaper is better in this case. Cheap nonstick is very smooth, doesn't have any texture which helps to create a crust on things. For eggs, this is perfect. When it gets worn, buy a new one.

You want SS (or cast iron, hello?!?) for anything you really want a crust on, anything you want to brown well, anything you want to build a sauce in, as SS will develop fond as you cook (these are the cooked tasty bits of flavor that stay in the pan when you take whatever you're cooking out).

jspchief
03-21-2014, 11:28 AM
On the topic of stainless steel pans, I started a thread asking for brand suggestions a year or so ago.

After a lot of shopping online and in stores, and reading a lot of reviews, I ended up choosing the Cooks Standard brand from Amazon. So far, I couldn't be happier. They cook well, the handles stay cool, they are durable, and they have maintained a nice look. I can't say for certainty how they perform compared to the high dollar brands like Allclad, but I can say without question that I feel they are exceptional, and the price was great.

Fire Me Boy!
03-21-2014, 12:12 PM
On the topic of stainless steel pans, I started a thread asking for brand suggestions a year or so ago.

After a lot of shopping online and in stores, and reading a lot of reviews, I ended up choosing the Cooks Standard brand from Amazon. So far, I couldn't be happier. They cook well, the handles stay cool, they are durable, and they have maintained a nice look. I can't say for certainty how they perform compared to the high dollar brands like Allclad, but I can say without question that I feel they are exceptional, and the price was great.

I think the biggest difference you'd see with something like AllClad would be heat distribution. Those pans heat very evenly.

jspchief
03-21-2014, 01:35 PM
I think the biggest difference you'd see with something like AllClad would be heat distribution. Those pans heat very evenly.iirc it was about the layering, maybe triple layer with copper in the center with the layers going up the walls. Anyway, these were designed similarly. I'm sure there are things that separate the two, but I feel like what I got is great quality for a great price.

NewChief
03-21-2014, 01:49 PM
I love my Calphalon Commercial Hard Anodized pans. Like... really love them. I may switch to stainless one day, but I'm pretty happy with what I have.

Fire Me Boy!
03-21-2014, 01:51 PM
I love my Calphalon Commercial Hard Anodized pans. Like... really love them. I may switch to stainless one day, but I'm pretty happy with what I have.

I've got a couple of those, and I also love them. They don't beat out my cast iron, but I do love 'em.

RJ
03-21-2014, 09:24 PM
I have several pieces of cast iron, one 12" stainless, a couple of hard anodized and a couple of non-stick. Just depends on the menu. My biggest problem is storage.

listopencil
03-21-2014, 09:40 PM
I just dropped $350 on cookware at TJ Maxx - knives - china - saute pans etc etc - because I had almost nothing that was worth a shit. It just needed to be done - that bullet needed to be bitten.

What did you go with? I have been using nonstick for years and I like it. I grabbed a Paula Deen set and it works really, really well for the price. My girlfriend uses SS and it fucks me up when I cook at her house.

Hoover
03-21-2014, 09:46 PM

Get the liquid Bar Keepers Friend it works better.

I love my stainless pans and if you know how to cook, the cleaning really isn't that bad. The worst thing to cook in a stainless pan is eggs, so I use other pans for this. I always pre heat my pans and never use more than medium heat. I also always use some olive oil. Now, if cooking a meat, when I'm done I always make some sort of sauce by deglazing the pan with some wine or chicken stock. It's awesome. If I don't want a sauce or what I made wouldn't be a good sauce, I then just put some water in the pan and leave it on the stove while we eat. When I go to clean it I take a plastic scraper that I use to use my pampered chef bar pan and the gunk comes right up.

Just Passin' By
03-21-2014, 09:47 PM
As a side note for those who want quality without paying the big bucks. America's Test Kitchen loves Le Creuset (enameled cast iron) and All Clad (stainless), but hates the prices.

A relatively inexpensive, and good quality, substitute for both, according to them, is Tramontina. I've yet to try Tramontina pans, but I'll probably be picking up one of the enamels (maybe the 6.5 qt dutch oven) in the near future.

Simply Red
03-21-2014, 09:51 PM
What did you go with? I have been using nonstick for years and I like it. I grabbed a Paula Deen set and it works really, really well for the price. My girlfriend uses SS and it ****s me up when I cook at her house.

I will need to look

mlyonsd
03-21-2014, 09:53 PM
As a side note for those who want quality without paying the big bucks. America's Test Kitchen loves Le Creuset (enameled cast iron) and All Clad (stainless), but hates the prices.

A relatively inexpensive, and good quality, substitute for both, according to them, is Tramontina. I've yet to try Tramontina pans, but I'll probably be picking up one of the enamels (maybe the 6.5 qt dutch oven) in the near future.
I have both Le Creuset and Lodge dutch ovens and can't tell the difference. Lodge being the much, much cheaper choice.

Psyko Tek
03-21-2014, 11:46 PM
I've got a nice 12" pan and the wife hates it. "It's a pain to clean". I've heard that SS is one of the best types to cook with.

So, I'm not much of a cook. Why is stainless steel a good pan?....Even heating?

How do you clean the thing?

We have a number of teflon coated pan that seem to work fine with less fuss.

???

Just grill, baby grill

Simply Red
03-22-2014, 12:05 AM
make any skillet non stick - by seasoning it over medium w/ oil and kosher salt. Use tongs to grasp paper towel wad. Rapidly go in circular motion w/ the salt+oil. Olive or Peanut are the best - but plain old veggie oil works also. Just burn quicker. So.

ExtremeChief
03-22-2014, 06:03 AM

Most of my pans are non-stick but I cook chili in a SS Traminota ducth oven and love it. The bottom of the pan is about an inch thick and the thing is heavy as hell but it maintains heat well and i have never had any trouble cleaning. I need to buy a cast iron for fried potatoes as the non-stick pans suck for browning anything.

Fire Me Boy!
03-22-2014, 06:29 AM

I don't spend my money on Le Creuset, but I'll buy it with hotel points in a second. That's the only Le Creuset I own. Thanks Hilton Honors.

Cannibal
03-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Thinking those should be on the grill:)

Good point. But weather doesn't always comply.