PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports NAIA Basketball: Real Cheap Fun!

gblowfish
03-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Had a really fun day today with some of my oldest and dearest pals. Each year, we take a blatant "hooky" day to watch basketball. NAIA Basketball, which is the extremely small college National Championship held in KC's Municipal Auditorium each year. We met at Independence's Englewood Cafe for early breakfast, then went downtown and watched three games back to back.

Highlights from today's action: We saw a team wearing black and gold uniforms wearing orange shoes. We saw teams where nobody's shoes matched. We saw a guy wearing tangerine shoes with a white with red and blue trim uniform. We saw obese cheerleaders. We saw Ru Paul. We saw Culver-Stockton fans wearing blue and white Zippy the Pinhead hats. There was a school that had a cheer that went "LETS GO PEE!" We saw a center who weighed close to 300 lbs and had a 2" vertical jump that we nicknamed "Furball." I invited a bear mascot to take his pants off. Yes, it was a good day.

Then we went to Ponak's and drank, a lot.

I love the NAIA Tournament. It always signals the end of winter and start of spring for me. Hope we can do it again next year!

Coach
03-21-2014, 06:45 PM
I been to these games many times, and it's really relaxing and enjoyable to watch a game that you're not aligned to, and just enjoy the outcome of the game. Good prices to watch games.

gblowfish
03-21-2014, 06:47 PM
One of my best buds is an officer at DST, and they're a tourney sponsor. So our tickets are free. Friday is the best day, because by that time, all the teams left have won at least one game. We saw the #1 seed win, and the #2 seed lose a squeaker. And the people watching was a hoot.

Prison Bitch
03-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Great time we usually make it down a couple nights per year.

Coach
03-21-2014, 08:47 PM
One of my best buds is an officer at DST, and they're a tourney sponsor. So our tickets are free. Friday is the best day, because by that time, all the teams left have won at least one game. We saw the #1 seed win, and the #2 seed lose a squeaker. And the people watching was a hoot.

Let me know if you're doing it again next year, I'd like to join you guys, if that's not too much trouble.