PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 93

Rain Man
03-22-2014, 04:12 PM
The rules:

In Round 1, I'm going to put up three randomly selected scenes from the nomination thread.

You'll vote for your ONE favorite scene among the three. The key here is FAVORITE. We're not talking about the 'best' or 'most powerful' or 'most meaningful'. We're talking about the scene that you most enjoy watching, however you define that.

The winners will move on. I'll also take the 10 highest-scoring second-place scenes and they'll advance as wild cards.

Some of our nominations did not include clips. This will be noted. If you find a clip, please post it and let me know so I can update it if it moves on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OaSuSnUJm3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ah9XCamPyKA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V-Ln03xgaUc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
03-22-2014, 04:15 PM
My votes in a rather mediocre heat:

#1 - Last of the Mohicans. That was an incredibly wimpy group of Indians. And the scene doesn't stand alone very well if you haven't seen the movie and don't know what's going on. But the scenery is very nice.

#2 - The Goonies. I sighed when the kid started dancing, but the Rube Goldberg gate opener salvaged the scene. It's not great, but it's almost okay.

#3 - Trainspotting. Not into drug-fueled dream scenes. Anyone can do a drug-fueled dream scene. There's no rules, so it's easy.

listopencil
03-22-2014, 06:43 PM
That Last of the Mohicans clip led to a much better one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/27M5KWI_q50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easy 6
03-22-2014, 08:25 PM
I went with Trainspotting because that baby scene never fails to deeply disturb me, it reminds me of younger days and being around very unsavory people who, while not as bad parents as those kind of people, were not more than a good drug connection away from it.

The kind of people who make you wonder how any child actually grows into an adult.

Mohicans is CHOCK FULL of awesome scenes, cant believe this is the first one I've seen mentioned, but I still go with the ugly reality that is druggies raising babies, it sticks with you.

Aries Walker
03-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Neither of the other two can stand up to the awesome spectacle that is the last scene of Last of the Mohicans. When Russell Means comes for revenge, he brings an ass-kicking with him.

WhawhaWhat
03-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Goonies!!

Deberg_1990
03-23-2014, 02:02 AM
Last of the Mohicans for sure. The Rob Roy scene should come in 2nd. That's actually a pretty cool fight scene because it seems so realistic. No over editing or much trickery done, and the characters actually get tired.

BlackHelicopters
03-23-2014, 06:04 AM
Trainspotting

Aries Walker
03-23-2014, 07:11 AM
Last of the Mohicans for sure. The Rob Roy scene should come in 2nd. That's actually a pretty cool fight scene because it seems so realistic. No over editing or much trickery done, and the characters actually get tired.
Do you think Rob Roy got actually tired, or was he exaggerating (or outright faking) it to take advantage of Archie's overconfidence? It could go either way.

Easy 6
03-23-2014, 12:01 PM
That's a great scene in Rob Roy no doubt, but its been Hollywooded up quite a bit... while he did indeed have a duel with a lords mercenary, it was never intended to be a fight to the death, it was an exhibition.

Roths character was known as an "exquisite", which is just another way of saying "a bad ass fop"... you look at them and think they're a pussy when in reality they're actually incredibly skilled and fearless.

Aries Walker
03-23-2014, 12:25 PM
I'm not talking historical accuracy one bit. (Most of the time, neither are movie-makers.) I'm just talking about raw entertainment value.

Rain Man
03-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Last of the Mohicans WILL FIND YOU for Round 2. It WILL FIND YOU.

Rasputin
03-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Last of the Mohicans = EPIC