PDA

View Full Version : Football Mark Cuban: "The NFL is 10 years away from an implosion."

tk13
03-24-2014, 12:52 AM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10662203/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-says-greedy-nfl-10-years-away-implosion

Cuban: With TV deal, NFL is 'hoggy'
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

DALLAS - Mark Cuban, the outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner, predicts a drastic decline in the popularity of the NFL over the next decade due to the league's greed.

"I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion," Cuban said Sunday evening when his pregame conversation with reporters, which covered a broad range of topics, swayed toward football. "I'm just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way.

"I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule number one of business."

Cuban is specifically referring to the NFL expanding their television package. He considers it a poor business decision for the NFL, which consistently dominates TV ratings, to play games on days other than Sunday and Monday.

In February, the NFL announced a one-year deal with CBS and NFL Network partnering to televise Thursday night games. CBS, which won the bidding for the Thursday night package over NBC, ABC, Fox and Turner, will air the games during the first eight weeks of the season, simulcasting them with the NFL Network. The league's cable network will exclusively show six Thursday night games later in the season with CBS' top announcing tandem of Jim Nantz and Phil Simms in the booth. The NFL Network will also have a Saturday doubleheader in Week 16.

The NFL started a limited package of Thursday night games in 2006. The NFL Network showed 13 Thursday night games last season.

"They're trying to take over every night of TV," Cuban said. "Initially, it'll be, 'Yeah, they're the biggest-rating thing that there is.' OK, Thursday, that's great, regardless of whether it impacts [the NBA] during that period when we cross over. Then if it gets Saturday, now you're impacting colleges. Now it's on four days a week. ...

"It's all football. At some point, the people get sick of it."

Cuban said the NFL is making a mistake by valuing television money over the convenience of fans who are used to planning for their NFL teams to play on Sundays with the occasional Monday night game. He compared it to the decline in popularity of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" after the game show expanded to air five days a week.

"They put it on every night," Cuban said. "Not 100 percent analogous, but they handled it the same. I'm just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

go bo
03-24-2014, 01:31 AM
10 years?

it's already a (pansy) passing league...

mikey23545
03-24-2014, 01:49 AM
I know I would always listen to a business owner who is in competition with my business for advice...

Dayze
03-24-2014, 03:25 AM
I agree with him . I've steadily moved on from the NFL since 2008. I used to be die hard NFL; Sunday Ticket, Blocking out entire days for nothing but football etc. Now, I don't really give a shit. I'll watch the Chiefs, but other than that, I don't really care. A LOT of it has to do with the example Cuban had. Too many fucking games on TV, and too many games featuring a golden boy team for that specific year ( Broncos last year).

I'd say i'm probably 10% invested in the NFL and 90% invested in NCAA football.
The NFL has become highly oversaturated in the last 6 years. Combine that with all the fucking rule changes that have made the game a shell of its' former self, and insane contracts (yes, I know, the NFL compared to MLB and NBA is not as crazy), the NFL is nearly dead to me. Seeing a buch of millionaires running around playing a game that has become 'meh', just doesn't do it for me.

houstonwhodat
03-24-2014, 04:14 AM
Bulls make money.
Bears make money.
Hogs get slaughtered.

Jimmya
03-24-2014, 04:32 AM
I like it. I can watch football almost every day of the week.

jallmon
03-24-2014, 04:50 AM
Not living in the KC area, I watch the NFL RedZone to keep up with the Chiefs.
I haven't seen a Thursday, Sunday or Monday night game in 3 years, unless the Chiefs are on. Get up early to go to work, so in bed by 8:00 - 8:30.

blaise
03-24-2014, 05:24 AM
I see what he's saying but the NFL has had Saturday games before. That's not new.
The Thursday night games usually don't seem very interesting to me for whatever reason. Usually because they're dogs I guess.

gosampel
03-24-2014, 05:35 AM
He just need to stay to NBA and worry about how they can beat pisses test you cant beat in the NFL

Simply Red
03-24-2014, 05:45 AM
I bet the farm this guy has a coke problem.

Fritz88
03-24-2014, 05:48 AM
After watching League of Denial in PBS, it's possible but not in 10 years though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dragonocho
03-24-2014, 06:11 AM
He may have a point, but then again he owns a franchise that has a 82 game regular season where NBA players loaf up and down the court night after night. He could be more introspective.

ping2000
03-24-2014, 06:15 AM
That will be the year the Chiefs win another Super Bowl; when no one cares about football anymore.

Deberg_1990
03-24-2014, 06:24 AM
The "product" of the NFL has become watered down. 8-8 league.......and that's exactly what they want.
Posted via Mobile Device

GoChargers
03-24-2014, 06:37 AM
The "product" of the NFL has become watered down. 8-8 league.......and that's exactly what they want.
Posted via Mobile Device

8-8 league? Really? The NFL is far more polarized than that, with the Seahawks, Whiners, Donks, etc. on one end and absolutely hopeless franchises like the Faid and the Browns on the other.

I do agree with Cuban that the NFL is headed for a downturn with the way things are going. They're messing with a good product by watering the game down with senseless rule changes, blatant favoritism shown to certain players and teams, and the general year-round overexposure of the league nowadays.

TEX
03-24-2014, 07:05 AM
8-8 league? Really? The NFL is far more polarized than that, with the Seahawks, Whiners, Donks, etc. on one end and absolutely hopeless franchises like the Faid and the Browns on the other.

I do agree with Cuban that the NFL is headed for a downturn with the way things are going. They're messing with a good product by watering the game down with senseless rule changes, blatant favoritism shown to certain players and teams, and the general year-round overexposure of the league nowadays.

Exactly. Everyone BUT the NFL it seems has heard of the common sense rule of, "If it ain't broke - DONT "fix" it". Especially when they keep "fixing" it and cause more problems. For instance they "fix" missed calls by allowing challenges - yet they have an out with the "whistle blew" rule that only allows "certain" things to be challenged. That shit goes hand and hand with blatant favoritism and allows "critical moments" in games to be controlled which can often times influence the outcome.

BossChief
03-24-2014, 07:08 AM
I agree, to an extent.

I also think that trying to expand the league out of the us is gonna be a huge logistical mistake.

TEX
03-24-2014, 07:20 AM
I agree, to an extent.

I also think that trying to expand the league out of the us is gonna be a huge logistical mistake.

Sure will. Not only that, I'm not sure the rest of the world wants it to begin with...Deal is every one of us could sit here and list many things wrong with the NFL. That wasn't the case 10 years ago...:hmmm:

Rausch
03-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

What?

The NFC had about 8 winning teams and a bunch of dog$#it. You had an 11-5 team not make the playoffs in the NFC.

Cuban is a jealous bitch that wishes the NBA was anywhere close to as popular as the NFL...

Rausch
03-24-2014, 07:24 AM
I agree, to an extent.

I think England is a huge mistake.

I could see giving the 'Nadians a team. I'm sure with the whole of the nation they could support one NFL franchise...

BlackHelicopters
03-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Cuban is a pretty smart business man. Might want to listen to him.

Rausch
03-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Cuban is a pretty smart business man. Might want to listen to him.

If he was that smart he would have bought an NFL team...

Steron
03-24-2014, 07:48 AM
I agree with him.

I HATE the Thursday games. I HATE the MNF double-header(s). Stick to Sunday, late season Saturday games, and MNF. Kill NFLN. They're diluting the product chasing $$$$$.

EDIT: Oh, and kill the games in Europe.

htismaqe
03-24-2014, 07:48 AM
If he was that smart he would have bought an NFL team...

They won't let him. Good ole boys club.

Rausch
03-24-2014, 07:50 AM
They won't let him.

Aaaaaaaaaand there's the butthurt behind the comments...

blaise
03-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Only having enough money for an NBA franchise doesn't really mean you're not smart.

Chief Roundup
03-24-2014, 07:59 AM
The premise behind what he is saying is absolutely correct. The only time TV shows are on every night is when their popularity has dwindled. Absolutely there would be some that would love to have football on most evenings. But the majority of people need a break or they become complacent about whatever it is. We can definitely get too much of anything, if it is a good thing we will over indulge quickly, which generally leads to a quicker end to the enjoyment.
The NFL should stop with the occasional Thursday night game for the regular season. I don't even like that because those games are generally on the NFLN only.
I also agree with others that have stated we need to stay out of Europe. Way, way too many logistical obstacles that can and will arise no matter how smooth everything looks on paper.

TEX
03-24-2014, 08:02 AM
I agree with him.

I HATE the Thursday games. I HATE the MNF double-header(s). Stick to Sunday, late season Saturday games, and MNF. Kill NFLN. They're diluting the product chasing $$$$$.

EDIT: Oh, and kill the games in Europe.

Yep. The MNF Double-Header is stupid....The owners will only stop and think when they get less money for some revenue streams. For example NFL Sunday Ticket will negotiate their price down due to less games being offered to them on any given Sunday. Anyone who has had Sunday Ticket for 6-10 years can see the effect as there are far less games available because of 2 MNF games, Thursday games, Sunday night games etc. . If DTV can't get the subscriptions, they won't pay as much to televise them. Of course the NFL will shop it but a new carrier might not want to pay a premium either as they will certainly recognize the trend. Deal is this will have to happen with several revenue streams because any single loss could be absorbed and covered by another one. When it happens on multiple levels, they owners will listen.

TEX
03-24-2014, 08:04 AM

Yep. He applied for ownership of the Houston franchise but was denied. He had all the credentials.

Rausch
03-24-2014, 08:05 AM
The premise behind what he is saying is absolutely correct. The only time TV shows are on every night is when their popularity has dwindled. Absolutely there would be some that would love to have football on most evenings. But the majority of people need a break or they become complacent about whatever it is. We can definitely get too much of anything, if it is a good thing we will over indulge quickly, which generally leads to a quicker end to the enjoyment.
The NFL should stop with the occasional Thursday night game for the regular season. I don't even like that because those games are generally on the NFLN only.

The reason that doesn't happen with the NFL is because the season is so short with so few games.

The NBA and MLB saturate with an insane schedule and so the games don't really matter early in the year. No one cares.

Even NASCAR seems like it never ends. It's every week.

People aren't asking for less NFL. Compare sunday ticket subscribers to ten years ago. Compare fantasy football money.

It's all trending up...

SeeingRed
03-24-2014, 08:07 AM
because it takes away from his ratings...jeolous wanna be NFL owner

Rausch
03-24-2014, 08:09 AM
because it takes away from his ratings...jeolous wanna be NFL owner

This...

blaise
03-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Yep. He applied for ownership of the Houston franchise but was denied. He had all the credentials.

I didn't realize he had that kind of money. But I just looked and it said he was worth more than Bob McNair. For some reason I'd always thought he was a level down from those guys.

BigMeatballDave
03-24-2014, 08:14 AM
I agree with him.

:spock:

BigMeatballDave
03-24-2014, 08:17 AM
I also agree with others that have stated we need to stay out of Europe. Way, way too many logistical obstacles that can and will arise no matter how smooth everything looks on paper.

You're talking about a 4-month window.

Buehler445
03-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Aaaaaaaaaand there's the butthurt behind the comments...

That's what I was thinking.

Either that or the assbag wants his name in the news again, and here we are talking about it.

Isn't he doing some Donald Trump wannabe show where he talks about business? He's probably just trying to get some free pub for it.

TEX
03-24-2014, 08:38 AM
I didn't realize he had that kind of money. But I just looked and it said he was worth more than Bob McNair. For some reason I'd always thought he was a level down from those guys.

Nope. In fact, he produced the most net worth and cash liquid application for the Houston franchise. He thought about filing a law suit against the NFL when it was rejected, but he knew he would lose so he decided to call it a day and walk away.

Bugeater
03-24-2014, 08:45 AM
If the goal is to get more games on TV, I don't know why they can't just give both FOX and CBS doubleheaders each Sunday. I'm more likely to stay tuned in if I have more choices.

Oh and fuck you guys who don't like the opening week MNF doubleheader. 6 hrs of football on a Monday night? Yes please.

blaise
03-24-2014, 08:47 AM
If the goal is to get more games on TV, I don't know why they can't just give both FOX and CBS doubleheaders each Sunday. I'm more likely to stay tuned in if I have more choices.

Oh and **** you guys who don't like the opening week MNF doubleheader. 6 hrs of football on a Monday night? Yes please.

I've always hated that - that both networks don't have doubleheaders on Sunday.

GoChargers
03-24-2014, 08:50 AM
The reason that doesn't happen with the NFL is because the season is so short with so few games.

The NBA and MLB saturate with an insane schedule and so the games don't really matter early in the year. No one cares.

Even NASCAR seems like it never ends. It's every week.

People aren't asking for less NFL. Compare sunday ticket subscribers to ten years ago. Compare fantasy football money.

It's all trending up...

Say what you will, but at least the NBA, MLB, and NASCAR oversaturate with actual games/races - in other words, meaningful content. The NFL is oversaturated 24/7/365 and the vast majority of it is just media hype, usually about the same three teams every year. Do we really need wall-to-wall coverage of the combine? Plus they moved the draft to May now so the media can spend more time obsessing over that. No other sport has the year-round media cycle that the NFL does and it's really turning it into that much more of a chore while taking away from the other sports.

I'd also argue that the early games in those other sports count far more than you're giving credit for. I bet the Knicks and Nets would like to have all those early-season losses back now, for instance.

Bearcat
03-24-2014, 08:51 AM

There are 4 or 5 teams every year that rise to the top, 3 or 4 teams that are absolute shit show, and the middle ~25 teams is a mess of mediocre football... and whether they end up with ~10 wins or 6 wins, there's just not much of a difference. Hell, the difference between those other 25 teams and the Broncos is Peyton Manning, and even the Tebow Broncos won a playoff game.

It's all part of the greed of the NFL... parity on steroids to hold everyone's interest, even if it makes for a watered down product.

greatgooglymoogly
03-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Well, baseball used to pull the highest ratings of any American sport. I don't see an "implosion", but it isn't unreasonable to think that some other sport could surpass football's ratings and popularity (although a 10-year time frame seems too brief).

blaise
03-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Fantasy Football and gambling will keep football popular even if the product slips.

Buehler445
03-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Well, baseball used to pull the highest ratings of any American sport. I don't see an "implosion", but it isn't unreasonable to think that some other sport could surpass football's ratings and popularity (although a 10-year time frame seems too brief).

I'm not an old bastard like all you other fuckers so I don't know (:D), but didn't the strike pretty much kill baseballs popularity?

Fansy the Famous Bard
03-24-2014, 09:11 AM
MLB making a comeback? :P

Chief Roundup
03-24-2014, 09:13 AM
You're talking about a 4-month window.

Really??? 17 week regular season. 4 weeks of preseason. 6 weeks of postseason. The combine, the draft.
Yes there are gaps in there but that is almost 10 months of football. 6 months are actual games. But the NFL if not careful going forward could easy over saturate the market.

Chief Roundup
03-24-2014, 09:15 AM
I'm not an old bastard like all you other ****ers so I don't know (:D), but didn't the strike pretty much kill baseballs popularity?

Yes they had a direct affect on many fans. I know a lot went back. I like others still have not recovered the true fanatical feeling for baseball.

greatgooglymoogly
03-24-2014, 09:16 AM
I'm not an old bastard like all you other ****ers so I don't know (:D), but didn't the strike pretty much kill baseballs popularity?

IDK, I was a toddler back then.

GordonGekko
03-24-2014, 09:19 AM

Soccer? Lol, maybe one day.

Baseball for most under the age of 35 is a dead sport it seems. I don't know anyone that watches baseball under that age unless it is post season or they are in an airport or sports bar somewhere.

BryanBusby
03-24-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm not an old bastard like all you other fuckers so I don't know (:D), but didn't the strike pretty much kill baseballs popularity?
It certainly did until the steroid fueled home run derby era pulled people back in.

blaise
03-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Baseball still draws a lot of fans and make tons of money. There's a reason players are getting $25 million a year.

J Diddy
03-24-2014, 09:26 AM
It certainly did until the steroid fueled home run derby era pulled people back in.

The subsequent witch hunt turned me away. Sometimes it's not better to know certain things.

loochy
03-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Nope. In fact, he produced the most net worth and cash liquid application for the Houston franchise. He thought about filing a law suit against the NFL when it was rejected, but he knew he would lose so he decided to call it a day and walk away.

He tried to buy the Cubs too, same result

htismaqe
03-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Exactly.

TEX
03-24-2014, 09:37 AM
He tried to buy the Cubs too, same result

Yep, and the Astros...:hmmm:

BigMeatballDave
03-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Really??? 17 week regular season. 4 weeks of preseason. 6 weeks of postseason. The combine, the draft.
Yes there are gaps in there but that is almost 10 months of football. 6 months are actual games. But the NFL if not careful going forward could easy over saturate the market.

REGULAR SEASON.

September thru December.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 09:58 AM
The subsequent witch hunt turned me away. Sometimes it's not better to know certain things.

You are an odd outlier. MLB's popularity has not dipped at all, the fans have pretty much declared with their wallets that they don't really give a damn about the PED controversies.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Regarding the OP, Mark Cuban's statement is self-serving, utterly ridiculous, and will not come close to panning out.

A few people who have their own agendas (unhappy with this or that rule, usually) have jumped on it, but there is no rational reason to believe that the NFL, even with the expansion into more days, is anywhere close to saturation. If anything, the market will probably easily absorb an 18-game season if the owners ever went that far.

J Diddy
03-24-2014, 10:04 AM
You are an odd outlier. MLB's popularity has not dipped at all, the fans have pretty much declared with their wallets that they don't really give a damn about the PED controversies.

That's fine. I like being an outlier and all.

philfree
03-24-2014, 10:06 AM
As last season unfolded I felt like they had it maxed out. What I don't like is starting the season on Thursday with the concerts and the all day party BS. It's to much. I hate the whole London thing to. What a turn off. They've got their league rolling though so they're marketing the hell out of it in an attempt to maximize revenue and profits. They shouldn't be so obvious about it but they've gotten such a big head at this point that they're losing some of their periphery.

GloryDayz
03-24-2014, 10:10 AM
I hope he's right! I suspect as they decline they'll right the ship before it goes down.

J Diddy
03-24-2014, 10:14 AM
I hope he's right! I suspect as they decline they'll right the ship before it goes down.

yup

Worked for the Titanic.

Chief Roundup
03-24-2014, 10:19 AM
REGULAR SEASON.

September thru December.
Yeah because that is the only time that there is football games on TV.

cosmo20002
03-24-2014, 10:23 AM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10662203/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-says-greedy-nfl-10-years-away-implosion

On the one hand, Cuban's a smart guy.

On the other hand, he's kind of a blowhard and he owns a team in a league where games are on several nights a week and is essentially a competitor to the NFL in October through January.

Phobia
03-24-2014, 10:26 AM
I agree with him. Oversaturation and fantasy football are ruining it for me. I've gone from a season ticket subscriber watching every single game to a casual observer of the Chiefs games and sometimes watching the other games if I'm bored. I also record MNF and watch it in about an hour instead of committing my entire Monday evening to it. I usually don't like recorded sports but I liked adding 2 hours to the end of my day better than I liked watching commercials and dufuses analyzing every play for 3 hours.

htismaqe
03-24-2014, 10:28 AM
I agree with him. Oversaturation and fantasy football are ruining it for me. I've gone from a season ticket subscriber watching every single game to a casual observer of the Chiefs games and sometimes watching the other games if I'm bored. I also record MNF and watch it in about an hour instead of committing my entire Monday evening to it. I usually don't like recorded sports but I liked adding 2 hours to the end of my day better than I liked watching commercials and dufuses analyzing every play for 3 hours.

This is where I'm at too.

J Diddy
03-24-2014, 10:29 AM

I would agree with you about fantasy football. That concept went from a fun little aspect of the game to taking it over and putting way too much focus on individuals.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-24-2014, 10:30 AM
What hurt baseball's popularity wasn't the strike, but the ADD nature of society. Football is an excellent sport for this society, because you only have to pay attention for six seconds at a time, and you always get some kind of outcome. The increase in scoring via the neutering of defenses is just another way to add flashing lights to keep the masses interested.

InChiefsHeaven
I basically make it a point to watch the Chiefs. Other games, maybe, but I never stay up late to finish the Monday Night Game, and the Thursday NFL Network games, I don't even bother with them. And I have NFL network!

I dunno if it's the NFL or just me, but I don't care nearly as much as I used to.

DTLB58
I like it. I can watch football almost every day of the week.

Yep. The NFL is going to keep giving it to us until it shows signs of not working anymore and can you blame them? They just keep making more and more $.
So what if, at some point its to much, then they scale it back a little and boom!

I've heard it said that NFL players lost out because they didn't get to market themselves because of all the gear they wore, well compared to the NBA I think that has helped the NFL. Look what happened when Sherman was able to take off his helmet and show is face and be himself? That's kinda what the public sees all the time from the NBA players and right now except for an elusive few the NBA isn't doing so well.
If I were Cuban I would stick to trying to figure out how to fix his league.
Well, he probably does have ideas, but the rest of the owners and commish aren't going to let him do any of them cause he is such a smart ass. Like the D league idea, which I think is good.

The only time right now I see it where the NBA is #1 in sports is maybe May because of the Playoffs and the first part of June for the Finals.

DTLB58
03-24-2014, 10:35 AM

That let in Shahid "Shad" Khan?
We aren't talking about the 60's anymore with the NFL and AFL.

DTLB58
03-24-2014, 10:36 AM

I agree, NO EUROPE!!!!!

Eleazar
03-24-2014, 10:37 AM
I tend to agree with him. I don't want the NFL to be in every night of the week. The Thursday games are usually garbage anyway.

Eleazar
03-24-2014, 10:39 AM
That let in Shahid "Shad" Khan?

We aren't talking about the 60's anymore with the NFL and AFL.

Khan is an American, same as you.

BigMeatballDave
03-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Yeah because that is the only time that there is football games on TV.

Nevermind. You missed my point.

MahiMike
03-24-2014, 10:59 AM
The NFL is already a bubble waiting to pop. Shad Khan paid 300% more than the previous owner just 15 years ago. In Jax!

houstonwhodat
03-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Only having enough money for an NBA franchise doesn't really mean you're not smart.

He should buy the Browns.

They should be on sale for about 19.95 by now.

BigMeatballDave
03-24-2014, 11:07 AM
The NFL is already a bubble waiting to pop. Shad Khan paid 300% more than the previous owner just 15 years ago. In Jax!

Hardly.

Ratings keep going up.

Until that changes, the league will continue trying to expand its market.

cosmo20002
03-24-2014, 11:14 AM
I don't get the bitching about MNF and fantasy football.
MNF has been on for 45 years. If you don't feel like watching it anymore or don't want to stay up that late, then don't.

There's been Sunday night games for 25 years. So Thursday night has been the only real semi-recent expansion. I think it is a bit unfair for the teams to have such a short week, but no one is forcing me to watch.

I understand not wanting to participate in fantasy football, but I don't understand how its existence makes anyone less interested in football or to like it any less.

Most of the complaining seems to be of the 'grumpy old man' variety. It's not exactly how it used to be, so you don't like it.

Demonpenz
03-24-2014, 11:38 AM
The death rattle for NFL is going to come when sarah mclachlan on a commercial for brain damaged nfl players.

cosmo20002
03-24-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure if the NFL even cares, but I think their problem is going to be in-person attendance. Attendance has been dropping across the league.

Maybe the Chiefs aren't the best example given their poor play most of the past several years, but when the new season ticket prices came out a couple months ago I checked some old seating charts I had and I couldn't believe the pricing.

Lower level sideline has gone up quite a bit. But for the past 5-10 years most other seats are about the same or have gone down considerably. There used to be highly discounted 'cheap seats' in the very upper-upper corners. Now, except for the lower half of the sidelines, almost the whole upper level are discount tickets. It's pretty obvious they are having trouble putting asses in the seats.

Phobia
03-24-2014, 11:46 AM
MNF has been on for 45 years. If you don't feel like watching it anymore or don't want to stay up that late, then don't.

There's been Sunday night games for 25 years. So Thursday night has been the only real semi-recent expansion. I think it is a bit unfair for the teams to have such a short week, but no one is forcing me to watch.

I understand not wanting to participate in fantasy football, but I don't understand how its existence makes anyone less interested in football or to like it any less.

Most of the complaining seems to be of the 'grumpy old man' variety. It's not exactly how it used to be, so you don't like it.

To be clear, I like MNF. But since my overall interest in the NFL has waned, I simply record and watch to save myself time. Fantasy football no longer appeals to me so I don't play. It doesn't really have any impact on my life until players start commenting on their FFL points in postgame interviews. That makes me livid. It makes me want to watch Saturday football.

htismaqe
03-24-2014, 11:47 AM
To be clear, I like MNF. But since my overall interest in the NFL has waned, I simply record and watch to save myself time. Fantasy football no longer appeals to me so I don't play. It doesn't really have any impact on my life until players start commenting on their FFL points in postgame interviews. That makes me livid. It makes me want to watch Saturday football.

This.

Chief Roundup
03-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Nevermind. You missed my point.

Which was....

Chief Roundup
03-24-2014, 11:57 AM

Now those players are wanting paid too. I figured there was already college fantasy football.

Mojo Jojo
03-24-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure if the NFL even cares, but I think their problem is going to be in-person attendance. Attendance has been dropping across the league.

Maybe the Chiefs aren't the best example given their poor play most of the past several years, but when the new season ticket prices came out a couple months ago I checked some old seating charts I had and I couldn't believe the pricing.

Lower level sideline has gone up quite a bit. But for the past 5-10 years most other seats are about the same or have gone down considerably. There used to be highly discounted 'cheap seats' in the very upper-upper corners. Now, except for the lower half of the sidelines, almost the whole upper level are discount tickets. It's pretty obvious they are having trouble putting asses in the seats.
This is spot on. Teams are having trouble selling out games both regular and post season. Adding more games on TV will only drive down interest in attending and should the FCC ban overturn the blackout rule lookout. Owners will be forced to drop ticket prices a lot, and will need to find other revenue streams. The current business plan is self defeating.

GloryDayz
03-24-2014, 12:10 PM
yup

Worked for the Titanic.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DLygeNR85XQ/UQ9XM1wOc9I/AAAAAAAAA8c/309pJkkNGnA/s400/titanic.jpg

http://www.bforbel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/grumpy-cat1.jpg

alnorth
03-24-2014, 12:13 PM
This is spot on. Teams are having trouble selling out games both regular and post season. Adding more games on TV will only drive down interest in attending and should the FCC ban overturn the blackout rule lookout. Owners will be forced to drop ticket prices a lot, and will need to find other revenue streams. The current business plan is self defeating.

Not really.

This is a sport where teams sell only about a half million tickets per year, most sell out, and the worst paid attendance is still about 80%. Attendance matters a lot more in MLB, NBA, and Hockey. NFL, not so much.

Lets take a weird, wild, crazy, unlikely disaster scenario where every team suddenly goes to 50% attendance. Thats what, $10MM/year maybe? TV money DWARFS that. They still want to sell out because, why not its extra money, and also half-empty stadiums look bad, but they will be nowhere near hurting if they have to cut prices a bit as long as the TV ratings continue as they are, and they will.

mr. tegu
03-24-2014, 12:20 PM
For every person that is "turned off" of the NFL because of fantasy football, 10 more are turned on to it because of it.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 12:25 PM
For every person that is "turned off" of the NFL because of fantasy football, 10 more are turned on to it because of it.

Another question these NFL doomsayers need to answer is, what else are you going to do in the Fall and Winter on Sunday? (If you live in San Diego or Southern Florida, be quiet, you don't count). Go to church? OK fine, you get back from church at about noon, now what? And when I ask what else are you going to do, I don't mean YOU, but the millions of Joe Sixpacks who are fueling the NFL machine. At least baseball has to compete against Summer recreation, but the NFL happens while most of the country is a dark, frigid wasteland and most people want to stay in.

J Diddy
03-24-2014, 12:27 PM

All power to them. My preferences are based on my tastes rather than 10 other people.

keg in kc
03-24-2014, 12:35 PM
I quit playing fantasy football probably 10 years ago now (christ), but I watch more games now than ever, and I love seeing all the stats.

As far as the original story, I think Cuban's nuts. To me, the only real danger to the NFL right now is the concussion issue. I love having Thursday games. Although I do agree that spreading to other nights would be overkill, and Saturdays need to remain the purview of college football.

MahiMike
03-24-2014, 12:38 PM

When I was your age we had to gather around a staticky radio and imagine what was happening. And WE LiKED IT THAT WAY!

cosmo20002
03-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Not really.

This is a sport where teams sell only about a half million tickets per year, most sell out, and the worst paid attendance is still about 80%. Attendance matters a lot more in MLB, NBA, and Hockey. NFL, not so much.

Lets take a weird, wild, crazy, unlikely disaster scenario where every team suddenly goes to 50% attendance. Thats what, $10MM/year maybe? TV money DWARFS that. They still want to sell out because, why not its extra money, and also half-empty stadiums look bad, but they will be nowhere near hurting if they have to cut prices a bit as long as the TV ratings continue as they are, and they will.

From an owner's perspective, the optimal stadium would probably be 10000 lower level sideline seats for the die-hard fans willing to pay for great seats and 500 luxury suites.

cosmo20002
03-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Another question these NFL doomsayers need to answer is, what else are you going to do in the Fall and Winter on Sunday? (If you live in San Diego or Southern Florida, be quiet, you don't count). Go to church? OK fine, you get back from church at about noon, now what? And when I ask what else are you going to do, I don't mean YOU, but the millions of Joe Sixpacks who are fueling the NFL machine. At least baseball has to compete against Summer recreation, but the NFL happens while most of the country is a dark, frigid wasteland and most people want to stay in.

Spend more quality time with the family, duh.

mr. tegu
03-24-2014, 12:41 PM
I do find it ironic that people on a football message board are complaining about an oversaturation of the NFL.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 12:55 PM
From an owner's perspective, the optimal stadium would probably be 10000 lower level sideline seats for the die-hard fans willing to pay for great seats and 500 luxury suites.

Well, there is a competitive advantage to having 60k people in an enclosed bowl yelling when the other team is on offense, but beyond the high-dollar tickets you listed, if the NFL owner has to practically give the other 30-40k tickets away, they will, and won't be hurt much by that.

GoChargers
03-24-2014, 12:57 PM
I do find it ironic that people on a football message board are complaining about an oversaturation of the NFL.

So being a fan of the product means never criticizing it and always being satisfied with the direction it's going in?

WhiteWhale
03-24-2014, 12:59 PM

Fantasy football would ruin my experience. Plus, I think it looks like a stupid game to play. It doesn't impact how I enjoy a game because other people play it.

What fantasy football is doing is making fans more narrow minded,in turn making discussion about it more annoying.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Spend more quality time with the family, duh.

If the lights are on, the heat is working, the internet is up, and there's food in the fridge, then your obligations are fulfilled. I suppose you could also grunt an acknowledgement if you happen to see a family member walk by.

KCUnited
03-24-2014, 01:01 PM
More comparable to the UFC. I went from watching every event to not even knowing when it's on (last night) and the UFC is more popular than ever.

Chiefnj2
03-24-2014, 01:06 PM
If for some reason ratings were to drop to basketball levels, Roger will just send a team or two overseas and cash in on foreign revenue.

mr. tegu
03-24-2014, 01:07 PM
So being a fan of the product means never criticizing it and always being satisfied with the direction it's going in?

I guess you are correct. When I desire to purchase a book at the bookstore I often find myself complaining about being inundated with books. It is the same when I go to a Royals game. I just hate being bombarded with MLB stuff everywhere.

cosmo20002
03-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Fantasy football would ruin my experience. Plus, I think it looks like a stupid game to play. It doesn't impact how I enjoy a game because other people play it.

What fantasy football is doing is making fans more narrow minded,in turn making discussion about it more annoying.

I like FF. It's gambling and makes more games more interesting.
But I also realize that no one else gives a shit about my team. FF people should probably keep that in mind more often.

Discuss Thrower
03-24-2014, 01:50 PM
1) Oversaturation in the United States.
2) Impossible to grow support for the game of football, let alone a professional league, in both the developed world outside of the US and Canada as well as the developing world.
3) One on-field death will force the NCAA and NFL to radically change the rules of play to non-collision as well as scare parents into forbidding their children from playing the sport.

Cuban's absolutely right on this.

Phobia
03-24-2014, 01:51 PM

I am pleased people enjoy playing fantasy football. I enjoyed it at one time as well. I understand the draw. I'm happy for those people. It doesn't bother me that fantasy football exists. It's easy for me to ignore....

UNTIL, real players start concerning themselves with their own fantasy production. Then the game is dead to me. I'm not interested in watching that kind of sport.

blaise
03-24-2014, 02:00 PM
I am pleased people enjoy playing fantasy football. I enjoyed it at one time as well. I understand the draw. I'm happy for those people. It doesn't bother me that fantasy football exists. It's easy for me to ignore....

UNTIL, real players start concerning themselves with their own fantasy production. Then the game is dead to me. I'm not interested in watching that kind of sport.

I don't know that it started with FF though. Guys get paid from stats, so they've always wanted the numbers.

BigMeatballDave
03-24-2014, 02:02 PM
2) Impossible to grow support for the game of football, let alone a professional league, in both the developed world outside of the US and Canada as well as the developing world.
3) One on-field death will force the NCAA and NFL to radically change the rules of play to non-collision as well as scare parents into forbidding their children from playing the sport.

Bullshit.

If he actually thought that, he would never have tried to purchase a team.

Butthurt.

Discuss Thrower
03-24-2014, 02:02 PM
I don't know that it started with FF though. Guys get paid from stats, so they've always wanted the numbers.

Attention from fantasy => more public visibility => bigger endorsement deals

alnorth
03-24-2014, 02:05 PM

1) Disputed.

2) Irrelevant

3) No, they won't. (both the NCAA/NFL and the parents)

BigMeatballDave
03-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Which was....

There aren't many games aired nationally during preseason.

Postseason games are only played on the weekends.

So, you have 4 months in which games are played on Monday and Thursday.

Phobia
03-24-2014, 02:06 PM

I know there are a lot of selfish players that want stats. Lots of guys want stats. Doesn't bother me. But it does bother me when they start apologizing to Fantasy managers because they had a slow game in post-game interviews. That leaves a real poor taste in my mouth, unfortunately.

blaise
03-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Attention from fantasy => more public visibility => bigger endorsement deals

Yeah, but what I'm saying is guys have always chased stats. Maybe it's a little more with FF but it's always taken place.

blaise
03-24-2014, 02:08 PM
I know there are a lot of selfish players that want stats. Lots of guys want stats. Doesn't bother me. But it does bother me when they start apologizing to Fantasy managers because they had a slow game in post-game interviews. That leaves a real poor taste in my mouth, unfortunately.

Well fortunately you hear dudes saying "F your fantasy team," more often than you hear them say they're sorry.
Seems that way to me, anyway.

Discuss Thrower
03-24-2014, 02:09 PM
1) Disputed.

2) Irrelevant

3) No, they won't. (both the NCAA/NFL and the parents)

1) Then why are the owners trying like hell to get so many games in London?

2) Pretty damned relevant. What's the most popular sport in the world? More importantly, in the developing world? Why? How can a sport that calls for expensive equipment and playing fields compete with a sport that can be played on pavement, dirt or scrub grass?

3) Notice the reactive rules designed to stave off criticisms involving CTE. Imagine the host of changes to the game if some poor bastard's next get snapped on live television... let alone the backlash from busybody government / activist types.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 02:14 PM

2) Pretty damned relevant. What's the most popular sport in the world? More importantly, in the developing world? Why? How can a sport that calls for expensive equipment and playing fields compete with a sport that can be played on pavement, dirt or scrub grass?

3) Notice the reactive rules designed to stave off criticisms involving CTE. Imagine the host of changes to the game if some poor bastard's next get snapped on live television... let alone the backlash from busybody government / activist types.

1) This has nothing to do with the NFL being "saturated" in America. I for one, argue that it is not saturated and that the market would welcome an additional day of NFL, and would probably even accept an 18-game season.

As for why though, why not? Hey, free money.

2) No, not relevant at all. The NFL is welcome to try to grow their game internationally, but if they don't, who gives a damn? Whether the sport makes 8 billion, or 12 billion, or 28 billion a year, it is, and will continue to be, a wildly successful business. Remember, the thread is about the NFL possibly declining, not having to settle for being "fabulously wealthy" after failing to be "hilariously Bill Gates Rich", or having to settle for being "king of America" instead of "king of the world".

3) People die playing or practicing football every year. If a high-profile incident happens there may be a small handful of weiner parents who react, but for the most part nothing will happen. Kids will still want to play, and parents will let them.

J Diddy
03-24-2014, 02:21 PM
More comparable to the UFC. I went from watching every event to not even knowing when it's on (last night) and the UFC is more popular than ever.

The UFC's surge in popularity was easy to spot just by noticing the rise in Midnight Vulture looking douchebags wearing ring gear. There is a positive correlation there.

Steron
03-24-2014, 02:22 PM

2. Futbol?

Discuss Thrower
03-24-2014, 02:27 PM
1) This has nothing to do with the NFL being "saturated" in America. I for one, argue that it is not saturated and that the market would welcome an additional day of NFL, and would probably even accept an 18-game season.

As for why though, why not? Hey, free money.

2) No, not relevant at all. The NFL is welcome to try to grow their game internationally, but if they don't, who gives a damn? Whether the sport makes 8 billion, or 12 billion, or 28 billion a year, it is, and will continue to be, a wildly successful business. Remember, the thread is about the NFL possibly declining, not having to settle for being "fabulously wealthy" after failing to be "hilariously Bill Gates Rich", or having to settle for being "king of America" instead of "king of the world".

3) People die playing or practicing football every year. If a high-profile incident happens there may be a small handful of weiner parents who react, but for the most part nothing will happen. Kids will still want to play, and parents will let them.

The league and the NCAA's wealth is threatened by CTE lawsuits.

I have no faith that the owners' won't settle at being the Kings of America. They seem to me to have Rockefeller-levels of greed that isn't suited to choosing sustainability over the risk of astronomical levels of wealth if consequence is failure of the league.

And this is why I stress a high profile player death as being the harbinger of football's end: rule changes that turn the game into flag football will probably not be well-received if they're brought in on the heels of a tragedy. I'd put money on the fact that tackling will be legislated out of the game within the next quarter century but I'm guessing that point the NFL, NCAA/NFHS will have made such gradual changes over this coming decade that only the most die-hard fans of football as a sport will complain and therefore turn away from the product.

However, if a player like Drew Brees is killed on Sunday Night Football with millions watching it will be impossible to play the game under current (and already compromised, in my opinion) rules and the rule-making bodies will have to accelerate this shift in the game without the same level of acceptance in fans.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 02:29 PM
The UFC's surge in popularity was easy to spot just by noticing the rise in Midnight Vulture looking douchebags wearing ring gear. There is a positive correlation there.

Off-topic, but the funny thing about combat sports is how people tend to view UFC as some kind of crazy bloodsport, but think Boxing is a noble activity. Its actually the opposite, boxing is barbaric and the health of the fighters is not really a consideration at all, while MMA seems to be more like a civilized sport.

In MMA, once a guy is beat they try hard as hell to end the fight and keep him from getting hurt. No one is usually going to stop a fight if a boxer gets hurt, it doesn't stop unless you are knocked the hell out or you are so badly damaged that you can't stay on your feet. Longtime MMA fighters can retire in relatively good health, while longtime boxers suffer debilitating injuries more often.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 02:34 PM
The league and the NCAA's wealth is threatened by CTE lawsuits.

I have no faith that the owners' won't settle at being the Kings of America. They seem to me to have Rockefeller-levels of greed that isn't suited to choosing sustainability over the risk of astronomical levels of wealth if consequence is failure of the league.

And this is why I stress a high profile player death as being the harbinger of football's end: rule changes that turn the game into flag football will probably not be well-received if they're brought in on the heels of a tragedy. I'd put money on the fact that tackling will be legislated out of the game within the next quarter century but I'm guessing that point the NFL, NCAA/NFHS will have made such gradual changes over this coming decade that only the most die-hard fans of football as a sport will complain and therefore turn away from the product.

However, if a player like Drew Brees is killed on Sunday Night Football with millions watching it will be impossible to play the game under current (and already compromised, in my opinion) rules and the rule-making bodies will have to accelerate this shift in the game without the same level of acceptance in fans.

People haven massively blown this out of proportion. The NFL has taken reasonable steps to improve the equipment and the game to head off future lawsuits, but they do not suffer an existential threat from parents.

It has recently become fashionable to read these NFL concussion stories and the over-the-top conclusions not with skepticism, but by thoughtfully scratching your beard and nodding gravely. Not as many people are stepping back, looking at the situation realistically, and calling BS on that whole thesis, or at least not as often as they should. The basic fundamentals are still true: parents are still going to let their kids play on Fridays, the best are still going to take advantage of scholarships, people like to watch football, and there's nothing better to do on Sunday evenings in the winter. We're not going to morph into a nation who plays and watches freaking soccer.

And this:

I'd put money on the fact that tackling will be legislated out of the game within the next quarter century

Is utterly absurd.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 02:46 PM

Not to get political, but we have gotten to the point where we now shrug off school massacres every few years as just an unavoidable part of life.

If dead kids don't lead to huge policy changes (not saying it should, either), then I think we can get over 1 dead or paralyzed multi-millionaire.

If something isn't part of the culture and people aren't deeply invested in something, then they can take or leave it, but once something is deeply ingrained in the culture whether its guns or football, then you can't fight culture. They aren't going to just shrug their shoulders and give up something important to culture lightly.

edit: a good example is dodgeball. It is basically dead or almost dead in schools because we don't have this deeply important, highly valued cultural attachment to dodgeball. Its just a stupid game, we can take or leave dodgeball, and if some kids get their feelings hurt, people won't care when its ended, they can just run around or play basketball instead.

Discuss Thrower
03-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Not to get political, but we have gotten to the point where we now shrug off school massacres every few years as just an unavoidable part of life.

If dead kids don't lead to huge policy changes (not saying it should, either), then I think we can get over 1 dead or paralyzed multi-millionaire.

If something isn't part of the culture and people aren't deeply invested in something, then they can take or leave it, but once something is deeply ingrained in the culture whether its guns or football, then you can't fight culture. They aren't going to just shrug their shoulders and give up something important to culture lightly.

The NRA and American conservatives have enough clout to maintain the status quo of gun rights in the country.

I'm not so sure the NFL and USA Football (to an extent) can convert their capital wealth into a campaign effective enough to make people shrug off the shocking death of a man playing a game.

htismaqe
03-24-2014, 02:54 PM
No one is usually going to stop a fight if a boxer gets hurt, it doesn't stop unless you are knocked the hell out or you are so badly damaged that you can't stay on your feet.

Not true.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 02:57 PM
The NRA and American conservatives have enough clout to maintain the status quo of gun rights in the country.

I'm not so sure the NFL and USA Football (to an extent) can convert their capital wealth into a campaign effective enough to make people shrug off the shocking death of a man playing a game.

You can't blame it on the spooky NRA or "conservatives".

The American people want guns, period. They have demonstrated that they are willing to vote on the issue. We're not a bunch of braindead morons who can be easily swayed by commercials and there isn't this secret wealthy cabal influencing the rest of us, its a deeply ingrained part of the culture, and we don't want to change. If guns weren't important to us, the NRA would have no power.

The NFL won't have to "convert their capital wealth" to save the game. The game won't need saving. If we have to, we'll just say "stuff happens", having a moment of silence the next Sunday, and move on.

Jimmya
03-24-2014, 02:59 PM
They haven't outlawed ufc.... They sure as hell won't mess with football.

Discuss Thrower
You can't blame it on the spooky NRA or "conservatives".

The American people want guns, period. They have demonstrated that they are willing to vote on the issue. We're not a bunch of braindead morons who can be easily swayed by commercials and there isn't this secret wealthy cabal influencing the rest of us, its a deeply ingrained part of the culture, and we don't want to change. If guns weren't important to us, the NRA would have no power.

The NFL won't have to "convert their capital wealth" to save the game. The game won't need saving. If we have to, we'll just say "stuff happens", having a moment of silence the next Sunday, and move on.

I get the comparison you're making, but the right to risk life and limb crashing to other dudes at high speeds isn't codified into the framework of our laws.

alnorth
Not true.

theoretically the corner can stop a fight, but they never do, so you can disregard that possibility. If you are talking about a doctor stopping a fight, thats an extremely high bar, MMA fights are stopped well before then.

Protecting boxers from getting hurt simply isn't a priority.

htismaqe
03-24-2014, 03:00 PM
theoretically the corner can stop a fight, but they never do, so you can disregard that possibility. If you are talking about a doctor stopping a fight, thats an extremely high bar, MMA fights are stopped well before then.

Protecting boxers from getting hurt simply isn't a priority.

While I agree that the MMA does a far better job at it, in recent years, boxing has become far more cautious in this area, including stopping some fights that shouldn't have been.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 03:02 PM
I get the comparison you're making, but the right to risk life and limb crashing to other dudes at high speeds isn't codified into the framework of our laws.

Its more powerful than a mere law. Laws can be changed on a whim.

It is codified into the framework of our culture. The NFL is more inseparable from American culture than most other things. We want football, we won't accept flag football (and no we're not at flag football, the game still pretty much looks the same), and we will put up with death and danger to keep our football. Period.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 03:03 PM
While I agree that the MMA does a far better job at it, in recent years, boxing has become far more cautious in this area, including stopping some fights that shouldn't have been.

Well, you might be right. I admit its been a few years since I watched a boxing match. If they have gotten better at it, then good for them.

Pablo
03-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Thursday games have largely been trash. That's sort of frustrating.

I started off watching every one this season, and lost my interest somewhere along the way. So I didn't watch the last few weeks. That's the only way average folks have a voice. Turn the garbage games off and they'll stop airing them, eventually.

Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

The Chiefs being a dog shit franchise and only putting a watchable team on the field every three to four years has contributed far more to my personal waning enjoyment of the NFL than anything else.

Fantasy football is something I get personal pleasure from, but I can see how it turns some people off. It's definitely an enormous mover in the grand scheme of things. Everyone in your office watches the NFL now, for better or worse.

blaise
03-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Well, you might be right. I admit its been a few years since I watched a boxing match. If they have gotten better at it, then good for them.

I don't think the knockout punches are what makes boxing worse, anyway. It probably has more to do with the cumulative effect of taking head punches. An MMA fighter may only take 3 to 10 actual head shots a match. A boxer could take dozens. Plus I think boxers generally have longer careers. So hundreds of head punches over time.

alnorth
03-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Thursday games have largely been trash. That's sort of frustrating.

I started off watching every one this season, and lost my interest somewhere along the way. So I didn't watch the last few weeks. That's the only way average folks have a voice. Turn the garbage games off and they'll stop airing them, eventually.

The alternative is regional coverage on Sunday afternoons. It doesn't have to be MNF, it just needs to do better than regional Sunday Afternoon coverage. There's also no reason to want them to stop airing games on Thursday, what are you losing? There may be 2 or 3 Thursday games in a year that you'd be interested in watching, but would not watch on Sunday Afternoon if it conflicts with your team's game time.

Valiant
03-24-2014, 03:14 PM
The thing I hate is the moving of games or times later in the season.. Right now it is minimal. But I see them doing it more as the years go on to change prime matchups to maximize ratings.

The problem is all the people that paid to see the games. That effects their travel plans, especially away team fans.. Tickets and travel is not cheap, that is a small fortune.. Hopefully enough for small claims losses by the nfl.

Also, get rid of the fucking blackout rule... If they can make this much on tv. They need to lower prices on seats..

htismaqe
03-24-2014, 03:15 PM
I don't think the knockout punches are what makes boxing worse, anyway. It probably has more to do with the cumulative effect of taking head punches. An MMA fighter may only take 3 to 10 actual head shots a match. A boxer could take dozens. Plus I think boxers generally have longer careers. So hundreds of head punches over time.

Correct.

That's also why head trauma is such a big problem with offensive linemen. It's not the 1 big hit, it's the 30+ little ones they take during the course of every game.

Sannyasi
03-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Wishful thinking on Cuban's part perhaps. I don't watch the Thursday night games because the level of play has been poor, however that fact hasn't impeded my desire to watch the Sunday games at all.

Deberg_1990
03-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Cuban is exaggerating of course. But 40-50 years ago the most popular sports in America were MLB, Boxing and Horse Racing.

Who's to say in another 30 years or so the most popular sports might be MLS, MMA and NHL?
Posted via Mobile Device

BlackHelicopters
03-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Cuban is 10 minutes away from an implosion at any time.

Rain Man
03-24-2014, 04:19 PM
Its more powerful than a mere law. Laws can be changed on a whim.

It is codified into the framework of our culture. The NFL is more inseparable from American culture than most other things. We want football, we won't accept flag football (and no we're not at flag football, the game still pretty much looks the same), and we will put up with death and danger to keep our football. Period.

It may not be up to us. If a judge starts handing out $50 million verdicts to "concussion victims", the business model doesn't work. I'm not saying it'll happen, but if we recognize that the NFL is a business, then businesses only operate when they're profitable.

I agree more with Cuban that the problem is going to be interest more than some catastrophic business change. However, it all ties together to some extent. The business of the NFL is....

...watering down the product to broaden their fan base, for the goal of chasing revenue increases.

...watering down the product to minimize legal risk.

...attempting to minimize the two impacts above by increasing their exposure.

...attempting to create new revenues streams such as TV products (e.g., RedZone and Sunday Ticket).

...attempting to create bigger stories by creating bigger stars via those new TV products.

It all makes sense from an MBA perspective. The thing that worries me is that marketing is driving the process now, and not the product. It's the same problem as any industry - if you have a crappy product with great marketing, people will still eventually figure out that it's a crappy product. And as Mark Cuban suggests, that actually speeds up the decline because you know have a broad awareness that it's a crappy product.

Fat Elvis
03-24-2014, 06:07 PM

You haven't been paying much attention to all the brain injury suicides then and how folks just say, "meh."

Rasputin
03-24-2014, 06:12 PM

Honestly I wish Cuban could buy the Chiefs franchise. I know Cuban would do what ever it takes to bring in a Championship.

rabblerouser
03-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Hell I'm already almost done. They're pricing me right out of the building, and the on field product has me turning off the TV and turning my attention elsewhere.

cosmo20002
03-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Hell I'm already almost done. They're pricing me right out of the building, and the on field product has me turning off the TV and turning my attention elsewhere.

http://i2.listal.com/image/1531941/600full-powers-boothe.jpg

tk13
03-24-2014, 08:52 PM
The NFL responds!

Cuban, who is the star of the reality show "Shark Tank," received some blowback from fellow Dallas billionaire Jerry Jones on Monday.

"I respect Mark,'' the Cowboys owner told the Dallas Morning News. "But with all due respect, I know more about pigs than Mark does. I was taught as a Razorback to be lean and mean, not a little fat pig."

Goodell, asked about Cuban's comments at Monday's media conference here, said he wasn't aware of them. He responded anyway.

"Monday Night Football has been around since 1970," Goodell said. "Sunday Night Football has been around since 2006 and so has Thursday Night Football. We've taken, I think in a very incremental and thoughtful approach, how we've taken more games to a national platform. That's been in a large part driven by our fans. The fans want those games."

It's hard to argue against Goodell's point. There seems to be no end to the demand for the NFL. What was once confined largely to 16 weekends, a few weeks of playoffs and the draft is now a year-round drama with its own network. Although there are issues about keeping stadiums filled, those concerns are nothing compared to other pro leagues, including the NBA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-answers-mark-cuban-s--hoggy--criticism--jerry-jones----i-know-more-about-pigs-than-mark-001348462-nfl.html

chiefsfan987
03-24-2014, 11:05 PM
I can see that. There was a time where I could watch any nfl game and enjoy it, but it's gotten to the point where the only NFL I watch these days are when the Chiefs play. I don't care about any of the other games, monday night, sunday night etc. I don't watch them unless it's the playoffs.

BigMeatballDave
03-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Honestly I wish Cuban could buy the Chiefs franchise. I know Cuban would do what ever it takes to bring in a Championship.

Horseshit.

SB winning teams win thru the Draft.

chiefzilla1501
03-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Roger Goodell will find a way to ruin the game. One thing at his job he's actually good at.

Spreading the draft out several days. Fuck you.
Forcing games in London with reckless disregard for homefield advantage and travel disadvantage. Fuck you.
Spreading out games and ruining football Sundays I spend with buddies? Fuck you.
Complete monopolization of TV rights such that you have to plant a satellite dish to watch a game at home? Fuck you.
Signing an exclusive jersey apparel deal that allows the maker to ridiculously jack up the price? Fuck you.
Ridiculous rules that allow TV companies to change game times at the last minute, flying a middle finger in the face of out-of-town travellers? Fuck you
Creating ridiculous offensive friendly rules that sell tickets, but now give extraordinary advantage to teams with great QBs? Fuck you

And the reckless disregard for safety has created the NFL version of MLB's steroid controversy. They were so stupid about this for years that they can't actually enforce rules now without admitting a mistake. Here's a classic example. How is there not a rule to force players to wear a fucking mouthpiece. Honest to God.

I still love the NFL. But Cuban's got a point.

cosmo20002
03-24-2014, 11:52 PM
Roger Goodell will find a way to ruin the game. One thing at his job he's actually good at.

Spreading the draft out several days. **** you.
Forcing games in London with reckless disregard for homefield advantage and travel disadvantage. **** you.
Spreading out games and ruining football Sundays I spend with buddies? **** you.
Complete monopolization of TV rights such that you have to plant a satellite dish to watch a game at home? **** you.
Signing an exclusive jersey apparel deal that allows the maker to ridiculously jack up the price? **** you.
Ridiculous rules that allow TV companies to change game times at the last minute, flying a middle finger in the face of out-of-town travellers? **** you
Creating ridiculous offensive friendly rules that sell tickets, but now give extraordinary advantage to teams with great QBs? **** you

And the reckless disregard for safety has created the NFL version of MLB's steroid controversy. They were so stupid about this for years that they can't actually enforce rules now without admitting a mistake. Here's a classic example. How is there not a rule to force players to wear a ****ing mouthpiece. Honest to God.

I still love the NFL. But Cuban's got a point.

You know that Goodell does none of these things without the blessing of the owners? And often with the agreement of the players? And that some of these things have nothing to do with him? Your complaint is with the owners.

BigMeatballDave
03-25-2014, 12:16 AM
People need to stop blaming Goodell for these changes.

He does this stuff because the owners want it, too.

BigMeatballDave
03-25-2014, 12:16 AM
You know that Goodell does none of these things without the blessing of the owners? And often with the agreement of the players? And that some of these things have nothing to do with him? Your complaint is with the owners.

Yeah, this. :)

MahiMike
03-25-2014, 07:39 AM

Why? It's our love of the game that wants it protected. Too much of a good thing is not healthy.

BigMeatballDave
03-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Why? It's our love of the game that wants it protected. Too much of a good thing is not healthy.

It's not too much for everyone. Being on the road most of the time, I don't get to watch nearly as much. No MNF or TNF.

MahiMike
03-25-2014, 07:56 AM

edit: a good example is dodgeball. It is basically dead or almost dead in schools because we don't have this deeply important, highly valued cultural attachment to dodgeball. Its just a stupid game, we can take or leave dodgeball, and if some kids get their feelings hurt, people won't care when its ended, they can just run around or play basketball instead.

Great take. Comparing guns to NFL is a perfect analogy. No matter how many innocent lives are taken, the gun advocates will say it was the innocents' right' to die.

blaise
03-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Great take. Comparing guns to NFL is a perfect analogy. No matter how many innocent lives are taken, the gun advocates will say it was the innocents' right' to die.

I'm not sure I've heard anyone put it that way.

Jimmya
03-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Cuban is complaining about oversaturation while NBA plays like every single day!

Garcia Bronco
03-25-2014, 08:39 AM
I find myself less and less interested in the NFL every year. It's directly related to the Commish and Owners constantly changing the rules. I can't even sit through an NBA game...whether it be the first one of the year or game 7 of the NBA finals.

Rain Man
03-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Cuban is complaining about oversaturation while NBA plays like every single day!

Well, that's a good point.

GloryDayz
03-25-2014, 10:07 AM
I wish Mark Cuban would do his part to save the NFL by buying the Chiefs and then getting to vote as an owner. Certainly a win-win... #FuckTheHunts

Rain Man
03-25-2014, 10:09 AM
I find myself less and less interested in the NFL every year. It's directly related to the Commish and Owners constantly changing the rules. I can't even sit through an NBA game...whether it be the first one of the year or game 7 of the NBA finals.

While I was never interested in the NBA, I'm having the same problem with the NFL. I blame it on the changes in the game and the business, but in the back of my mind I also kind of wonder if I'm just hitting a satiation point due to age and experience. I've watched probably close to 1,000 NFL games in my life, and maybe that's enough.

But I'd prefer to blame the changes in the game and the business, so I will.

blaise
03-25-2014, 10:11 AM
I watch the NFL differently than I used to. I don't really have a favorite team anymore. I just like good games.

GloryDayz
03-25-2014, 10:22 AM
While I was never interested in the NBA, I'm having the same problem with the NFL. I blame it on the changes in the game and the business, but in the back of my mind I also kind of wonder if I'm just hitting a satiation point due to age and experience. I've watched probably close to 1,000 NFL games in my life, and maybe that's enough.

But I'd prefer to blame the changes in the game and the business, so I will.

I think we're all there, and I think it's always more than one thing. Sure, the NFL is finding ways to appeal to non-NFL fans, and that might be their demise IMO. But I think "life" has gotten more difficult over the past few decades, at least for many of us, and there's no way football can be all-consuming to most. Perhaps it's just because I'm 50'ish, but I've noted that kids (my own included) have 1-10th the interest in football that I grew up with and didn't have a team local. Perhaps it's that most of us expose our kids to SOOOO many things these days (and that's good), but I think that deep-rooted desire for football isn't what it used to be across all age-groups.

And I agree that saturation might be part of it too. Then again, I live in KC and our team is an epic fail in terms of "success" compared to others, so maybe it's just a local thing. I wonder how consumed kids in Seattle or S.F. are since they're teams seem to have down years, then rebound with deep runs in the playoffs (at least).

So I don't know, but with the way this franchise seems to always find a way to let its fans down, I'm not surprised that the NFL isn't a top priority.

DTLB58
03-25-2014, 10:23 AM
I wish Mark Cuban would do his part to save the NFL by buying the Chiefs and then getting to vote as an owner. Certainly a win-win... #****TheHunts

He called into the DP show just a little while ago and said he couldn't afford an NFL team. Dan asked him if he would want to be a part of one and he said if it were before he had kids sure, he would go after it. But not now with 3 kids and everything else he has going on he doesn't have the time.

DTLB58
03-25-2014, 10:30 AM
I watch the NFL differently than I used to. I don't really have a favorite team anymore. I just like good games.

I tell everyone I'm just as big of a fan to the NFL as I am the Chiefs. Not that I like the rest of the AFC west as I do the Chiefs. I just love football. I watch all their games, even if it's a crappy Thursday night matchup. I haven't missed a game in 40 years that's on prime time/Sundays. I have 3 TV's in the ManCave hooked up to Sunday Ticket. I've started watching a lot more college the last 2 seasons and have really come to like it now too.

Bring on more football. :thumb:

GloryDayz
03-25-2014, 10:52 AM
He called into the DP show just a little while ago and said he couldn't afford an NFL team. Dan asked him if he would want to be a part of one and he said if it were before he had kids sure, he would go after it. But not now with 3 kids and everything else he has going on he doesn't have the time.

Welp, kids are expensive!

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cosmo20002
03-25-2014, 11:24 AM

And he thinks it would be a really, really, really bad idea for the NFL to expand to one of those days. He's concerned for the NFL.

TripleThreat
03-25-2014, 11:27 AM
"It's all football. At some point, the people get sick of it"

Not for me mrcuban

Cannibal
03-25-2014, 11:30 AM
I think the NFL probably is over saturating the market, but Cuban is the very definition of attention seeking douchebag.

redfan
03-25-2014, 03:09 PM
I wonder what he means by implosion.
The NFL is pretty ubiquitous, and when you're on top, there's nowhere to go but down.
Unless you stay on top. NFL is talking about expansion to Europe, for cryn; out loud. If the product isn't diluted, there is still room for growth.

rabblerouser
08-26-2014, 09:29 AM
People need to stop blaming Goodell for these changes.

He does this stuff because the owners want it, too.

Yeah, but the owners don't care about anything but making more money.

And at that, they are successful...

KCTitus
08-26-2014, 09:35 AM
Cuban may have a point, but I think the leagues implosion is going to be from a different source, primarily around all the concussion stuff. At some point, the game will have to be systemically changed to keep the lawmakers at bay to the point, people will lose interest.

Reerun_KC
08-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Cuban may have a point, but I think the leagues implosion is going to be from a different source, primarily around all the concussion stuff. At some point, the game will have to be systemically changed to keep the lawmakers at bay to the point, people will lose interest.

Football fans are losing interest... Fantasy football fans with zero knowledge of football are lining up in droves to be a football fan.

rabblerouser
08-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Football fans are losing interest... Fantasy football fans with zero knowledge of football are lining up in droves to be a football fan.

Yep.

alnorth
08-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Regarding the OP, Mark Cuban's statement is self-serving, utterly ridiculous, and will not come close to panning out.

A few people who have their own agendas (unhappy with this or that rule, usually) have jumped on it, but there is no rational reason to believe that the NFL, even with the expansion into more days, is anywhere close to saturation. If anything, the market will probably easily absorb an 18-game season if the owners ever went that far.

I've seen nothing in the last half year that changes this post

TEX
08-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Im ready for the season. I cancelled NFLST after having had it for the past 12 seasons. Not interested in watching the flag happy pussification of the NFL. Ill just watch the network games this season if I have the time. I've finally had my fill of the BS calls and rule changes to make the game "better." I wont see many Chiefs games this season, unless I go to a sports bar, but that could be a good thing...

cosmo20002
08-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Im ready for the season. I cancelled NFLST after having had it for the past 12 seasons. Not interested in watching the flag happy pussification of the NFL. Ill just watch the network games this season if I have the time. I've finally had my fill of the BS calls and rule changes to make the game "better." I wont see many Chiefs games this season, unless I go to a sports bar, but that could be a good thing...

http://i2.listal.com/image/1531941/600full-powers-boothe.jpg

Mav
08-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Fuck Mark Cuban.

rabblerouser
08-26-2014, 11:31 AM
100% accurate.

All the way around.

Rain Man
08-26-2014, 11:41 AM

I've seen a grand total of about three minutes of preseason football this year, all while I was waiting for my barbecue to-go order to be filled. It was Pittsburgh versus Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh sent some receiver on a deep route. If the penalty that they called on the Eagles' cornerback is indicative of the rules, the NFL is done as an entertainment medium. Just run your receivers deep on every play and wait for the penalty call if it's not caught.

Bearcat
08-26-2014, 11:41 AM
I've seen nothing in the last half year that changes this post

Yeah, it's the Bud Light of sports... the die hards around here might not like the game as it is these days, but it's not really meant for them. It's meant to be watered down for mass consumption. The league has expanded too much and it shows with all the mediocrity, but it won't stop them from expanding more so they can make more money.

I think the greed will cause problems eventually, but 10 years seems to be a bit quick.

InChiefsHeaven
08-26-2014, 11:59 AM
I always watch the Chiefs. I'm luck here in Omaha, they run all the games. But, if I lived elsewhere...I kinda doubt I'd buy Sunday ticket. I'd probably be more productive on game day...

GloryDayz
08-26-2014, 12:01 PM

Like being a STH again, I certainly wouldn't get in to recurring bill to watch the current product. That being said, I'm local so I get the pleasure (!!!) of watching this if I'm not otherwise engaged. And with the poor play our Chiefs be headed for this year, getting into a game, maybe two, won't be very expensive. With the older one in college, I'm not sure if I'll not plan even more, or none at all.

But alas, your point is accurate, for those of us who grew up in the 70s and 80s, where the game is headed might be for a different group of fans. Even if some of the changes aren't 100% bad (concussion avoidance [if not too stupid]), many of them are totally dumb like the "we're only about scoring these days" rules. If this new way is all you know I guess it's fine, but like I said, if you grew up in the 70s/80s, you know the game has changed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Like being a STH again, I certainly wouldn't get in to recurring bill to watch the current product. That being said, I'm local so I get the pleasure (!!!) of watching this if I'm not otherwise engaged. And with the poor play our Chiefs be headed for this year, getting into a game, maybe two, won't be very expensive. With the older one in college, I'm not sure if I'll not plan even more, or none at all.

But alas, your point is accurate, for those of us who grew up in the 70s and 80s, where the game is headed might be for a different group of fans. Even if some of the changes aren't 100% bad (concussion avoidance [if not too stupid]), many of them are totally dumb like the "we're only about scoring these days" rules. If this new way is all you know I guess it's fine, but like I said, if you grew up in the 70s/80s, you know the game has changed.

It's lost its burst.

GloryDayz
08-26-2014, 01:55 PM
It's lost its burst.

Yes, yes it has...

dallaschiefsfan
08-26-2014, 03:33 PM
I can't speak as definitively as Cuban for the future of the NFL and its fanbase, but speaking for myself, I'm not the fan I used to be of the NFL. I'm still a Chiefs fan, of course. But the NFL has kinda' turned me off in the last several years (for many of the aforementioned reasons).

The NFL is like a drama-queen that keeps doing the dumbest things to get noticed, even though she's already the prettiest girl in the room. I've mostly been a football guy for most of my adult life (since the 90's). I find myself more and more excited about the much-longer baseball season every year - even when the Royals have been terrible. I've just learned to love the nuances of the game and enjoy the grind of the season.

I'll still watch the Chiefs, but I sympathize with some of what Cuban is saying.

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-17-2014, 09:39 AM
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/17/mark-cuban-nfl-roger-goodell-team-owners-failing-to-be-leaders/

Mark Cuban was scoffed and sneered at for warning the NFL about the perils of arrogance. His words now look prophetic as the mighty league has been made vulnerable by player misdeeds and the failures of leadership

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-17-2014, 09:43 AM
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/17/mark-cuban-nfl-roger-goodell-team-owners-failing-to-be-leaders/

Mark Cuban was scoffed and sneered at for warning the NFL about the perils of arrogance. His words now look prophetic as the mighty league has been made vulnerable by player misdeeds and the failures of leadership

So let it be written, so let it be done.

cosmo20002
09-17-2014, 09:51 AM

Cuban was "warning"/criticizing the NFL for oversaturation--putting too many games on TV. Specifically, there was talk of adding another night for a game.

Shockingly, Cuban thought it was a really bad idea for the NFL to expand to another night--which I'm sure had nothing to do with it being an extra night it would compete with (and dominate) NBA broadcasts.

ptlyon
09-17-2014, 09:59 AM
I'd really hate to be Cuban's dog right now

Chief_For_Life58
09-17-2014, 10:02 AM
So let it be written, so let it be done.

The people have spoken!

ramdog
09-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Not living in the KC area, I watch the NFL RedZone to keep up with the Chiefs.
I haven't seen a Thursday, Sunday or Monday night game in 3 years, unless the Chiefs are on. Get up early to go to work, so in bed by 8:00 - 8:30. yea if you wana keep up with the kcchiefs on sunday i have a website you can watch for free every sunday

Jimmya
09-17-2014, 11:31 AM
I laugh at the idea that some of you think the league won't survive. Come Sunday every stadium will be full of rocking fans throughout the U.S. Boone Pickens from Oklahoma State was talking about how the NFL & Major College football are not near where they will be in 15 years as far as making money!

okcchief
09-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Troy Aikman like 5 or 6 years ago said we wouldn't recognize the NFL in 10 years. I've looked back at that statement a lot recently.

kysirsoze
09-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Worst case: The NFL's popularity absolutely plummets to NBA levels.

BeMyValentine
09-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Fantasy football has ruined this sport for me.

GloryDayz
09-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Troy Aikman like 5 or 6 years ago said we wouldn't recognize the NFL in 10 years. I've looked back at that statement a lot recently.

You're right... Wow, I had forgotten that. Looks like he was right.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-17-2014, 07:31 PM
You're right... Wow, I had forgotten that. Looks like he was right.

Someone needs to dig that up.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Someone needs to dig that up.

I did however find this, and holy shit it sucks:

http://www.businessinsider.com/for-the-nfl-to-survive-it-must-make-these-rule-changes-by-2020-2010-10?op=1

cosmo20002
09-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Fantasy football has ruined this sport for me.

Why?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Why?

Is there such a thing as "fantasy defense"?

Discuss Thrower
09-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Why?

It devalues defensive performance in the actual game as well as the importance of a team.

cosmo20002
09-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Is there such a thing as "fantasy defense"?

yes

cosmo20002
09-17-2014, 07:58 PM
It devalues defensive performance in the actual game as well as the importance of a team.

That doesn't explain how FF makes someone like football less.

Discuss Thrower
09-17-2014, 07:59 PM
yes

Go ahead and find the numbers that compares the amount of people playing "regular" fantasy football with those in IDP leagues.

Hell, fantasy sports has devalued themselves over the years. It used to be a game that measured players' performances over a season.. Now it's all about weekly match ups against another opponent.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-17-2014, 08:01 PM

It clearly places a premium on offense, making offense more important, which ties in nicely to the "new" NFL and it's "safety" rules that allow offenses to be more potent while defenses have to walk on eggshells.

Goddamnit man, gloss over the link I just threw up. If if even HALF of that shit comes to pass, what is the fucking point of even watching?

Discuss Thrower
09-17-2014, 08:01 PM

The league has a big incentive to free up offenses for more scoring because it keeps an audience's interest as well as satisfies the wants of fantasy owners.

A player's fantasy performance becomes a cheap talking point for announcers in broadcasts.. that can alienate someone.

Again, it makes football more about an individual's performance on a team moreso than the about the performance of the team in general.

GoChargers
09-17-2014, 08:15 PM
The league has a big incentive to free up offenses for more scoring because it keeps an audience's interest as well as satisfies the wants of fantasy owners.

A player's fantasy performance becomes a cheap talking point for announcers in broadcasts.. that can alienate someone.

Also, it turns a lot of fans into douchebags who only see players as stats on a sheet for their all-important fantasy teams.

I've never played fantasy football and never will. It's reached a level where it has become bad for the sport, and I can't support that.

cosmo20002
09-17-2014, 08:25 PM
It clearly places a premium on offense, making offense more important, which ties in nicely to the "new" NFL and it's "safety" rules that allow offenses to be more potent while defenses have to walk on eggshells.

Goddamnit man, gloss over the link I just threw up. If if even HALF of that shit comes to pass, what is the ****ing point of even watching?

I looked at the link and most of those things are ludicrous.
I don't buy at all that the NFL is tweaking rules in order to satisfy FF players.
I do think they are legitimately concerned about bigger, stronger, faster players giving each other brain damage. There's huge liability there and they are going to address it.

Sure, it's fun to watch devastating hits, but I can't really blame them for feeling like they have to take some steps to address some of the safety issues.

Honestly, I think some of the complaining on this board comes from the fact that the Chiefs have maybe had two even decent QBs since Len Dawson and our really our only great receiver since the old days has been a TE. If we had a great QB, I'm guessing we'd hear less complaining about too much offense.

vailpass
09-17-2014, 11:36 PM
I don't buy at all that the NFL is tweaking rules in order to satisfy FF players.
I do think they are legitimately concerned about bigger, stronger, faster players giving each other brain damage. There's huge liability there and they are going to address it.

Sure, it's fun to watch devastating hits, but I can't really blame them for feeling like they have to take some steps to address some of the safety issues.

Honestly, I think some of the complaining on this board comes from the fact that the Chiefs have maybe had two even decent QBs since Len Dawson and our really our only great receiver since the old days has been a TE. If we had a great QB, I'm guessing we'd hear less complaining about too much offense.

Pretty much this...

Direckshun
09-18-2014, 12:24 AM
I don't buy at all that the NFL is only tweaking rules in order to satisfy FF players.
I do think they are legitimately concerned about appearing not to care about bigger, stronger, faster players giving each other brain damage. There's huge liability there that they have the world's best-paid army of lawyers to protect themselves from, but it is a PR nightmare and they are going to address it.

Sure, one of the central reasons anybody watches football is to watch devastating hits, but I can't really blame them for feeling like they have to take some steps to address the PR difficulties with some of the safety issues.

FYP

BottomShelfBooze
09-18-2014, 12:28 AM
**** YOUR POST? THATS ****ING MEAN YOUY SHOULD SEIROUSLY CONDIER OTHERS FELLINGS APON THE MATTER OF THIS SOUCE YOU KNOW

vailpass
09-18-2014, 12:30 AM
**** YOUR POST? THATS ****ING MEAN YOUY SHOULD SEIROUSLY CONDIER OTHERS FELLINGS APON THE MATTER OF THIS SOUCE YOU KNOW

Catching a buzz on a beautiful Wednesday night? Atta' boy..

BottomShelfBooze
09-18-2014, 12:43 AM

tommorow is my only day off man andigot tro tlive ti to the fullet ynow?

BottomShelfBooze
09-18-2014, 12:48 AM
well i jst took A FAT POOP AN TAWS RUNNTY BUT I FEEL BETTR NOW AND I DUNT KJNOW WHY BUT I COUL DO IT

vailpass
09-18-2014, 12:49 AM
Problem e with this place lately is I can't tell the mults from the real...

BottomShelfBooze
09-18-2014, 12:50 AM
Problem e with this place lately is I can't tell the mults from the real...

YOU AHUYS AWxhr youe cwfwnrABLWEa

vailpass
09-18-2014, 12:54 AM
YOU AHUYS AWxhr youe cwfwnrABLWEa

Have you ever stolen a laptop?

BottomShelfBooze
09-18-2014, 12:54 AM

idknt even yosuse laptopn i got a computrfer that woks just fnie thanks fer asking

BottomShelfBooze
09-18-2014, 12:58 AM

is trhat jpohnyy deppp in ur pictuer perofiel

Jimmya
09-18-2014, 01:15 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/11/news/companies/nfl-revenue-profits/index.html?hpt=hp_bn6&iid=obnetwork

Direckshun
09-18-2014, 01:32 AM
well i jst took A FAT POOP AN TAWS RUNNTY BUT I FEEL BETTR NOW AND I DUNT KJNOW WHY BUT I COUL DO IT

Thread's found burst.

Baby Lee
09-18-2014, 01:37 AM

He got a new computer with a wonky keyboard.

Baby Lee
09-18-2014, 01:38 AM
BottomShelfBooze's American Standard found burst.

FYP

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-18-2014, 06:02 AM

Just when I think your powers of observation could not possibly get any sharper....

is trhat jpohnyy deppp in ur pictuer perofiel

Oos is back!