PDA

View Full Version : Football Wow! Eagles put Evan Mathis on trading block to avoid $5.15M salary

T-post Tom
03-26-2014, 08:25 PM
This guy is the real deal at LG. Maybe the best in the league the last year or two. He's 32 but with minimal wear & tear as he played backup his 1st 6 seasons. He would surely be a big help to a young LT. ;)

DeSean Jackson isn’t the only Pro Bowler the Eagles might trade.

The Eagles are also willing to trade Pro Bowl guard Evan Mathis, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Like Jackson, Mathis is a good player whom the Eagles’ offense would miss. But there are issues related to Mathis’s contract: Mathis is due $5.15 million this season, and there’s been talk that he thinks he deserves more than that as a first-team All-Pro, while the Eagles don’t want to pay a guard who’s turning 33 this season that much money. When the player wants more while the team wants to pay less, that’s not a good combination.

After bouncing around the league as mostly a backup for six seasons in three cities, Mathis has emerged as an excellent guard in Philadelphia, and he still has three more seasons remaining on the five-year, $25 million contract he signed with the Eagles before the 2012 season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/26/evan-mathis-wants-a-new-contract-eagles-may-trade-him/

In58men
03-26-2014, 08:34 PM
This belongs in the Hall of Qlassics

J Diddy
03-26-2014, 08:40 PM
This belongs in the Hall of Vlassics

Fixed your post.

http://i.imgur.com/Xqbcwu0.gif

Chiefspants
03-26-2014, 08:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mvFrM3l.gif

TLO
03-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Oh the Qumanity!

Titty Meat
03-26-2014, 08:53 PM
TRADE FOR HIM IT WONT COST A 5TH ROUND COMP PICK

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 09:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mvFrM3l.gif

Wow, that was captivating

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 09:53 PM
TRADE FOR HIM IT WONT COST A 5TH ROUND COMP PICK

If we have to trade for him, we're basically trading two picks for a 32 year old Guard who's seeking a big contract at a position nobody cares about.

Chiefnj2
03-26-2014, 09:59 PM
If we have to trade for him, we're basically trading two picks for a 32 year old Guard who's seeking a big contract at a position nobody cares about.

Nobody cares about it until the team can't convert on 3rd and short or Smith gets hit.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Nobody cares about it until the team can't convert on 3rd and short or Smith gets hit.

Nobody cares about it because it's a position that constantly gets filled with low draft picks and scrap guys.

beach tribe
03-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Nobody cares about it because it's a position that constantly gets filled with low draft picks and scrap guys.

Which is why they would rather trade him than pay him, although he is an all pro.

Titty Meat
03-26-2014, 11:26 PM

The chiefs are drafting a guard in the first round

kccrow
03-26-2014, 11:33 PM
I think how important the position is versus how its filled are two different things. LG is important in that the guy there needs to be your most athletic interior player. That player has to be a good pass protector and good at run blocking in space.

I agree that teams try to find good guards later in the draft, but with that the good teams retain those guys at a premium price. So, I don't necessarily advocate trading for a guard AND paying him, but I'd consider throwing a round 6 pick out there and see if they bite.

Guards are very important in the NFL and good NFL teams follow this philosophy. Bad teams overpay for left tackles. Good teams spend their money on retaining very good guards. All you have to do is look at salaries paid to the top NFL tackles versus the top NFL guards for some proof of that.

DTLB58
03-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Fixed your post.

http://i.imgur.com/Xqbcwu0.gif

Oh Mark?! Yes, We had him. :D

DTLB58
03-26-2014, 11:43 PM
They wouldn't even pay Schwartz $4M a year and they new he could play two positions if need be.

No, they are drafting someone to be on the cheap this season and in the future. (Rookie contract)
Kinda the theme this year if we haven't all noticed the players/contracts that have been signed to this point.

thabear04
03-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Really:hmmm:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282585

OldSchool
03-27-2014, 12:00 AM
They wouldn't even pay Schwartz $4M a year and they new he could play two positions if need be.

No, they are drafting someone to be on the cheap this season and in the future. (Rookie contract)
Kinda the theme this year if we haven't all noticed the players/contracts that have been signed to this point.

People keep bringing up Schwartz. Schwartz was a journeyman, Evans is a proven All-Pro who has a lot of experience playing within the Reid offense.

htismaqe
03-27-2014, 07:49 AM

At least for the Chiefs...

Oxford
03-27-2014, 09:26 AM
I think this says a lot about what the NFL teams think the salary cap will be in the upcoming years.

SAUTO
03-27-2014, 09:51 AM
I think this says a lot about what the NFL teams think the salary cap will be in the upcoming years.

And what would that be? Surely you aren't thinking lower?
Posted via Mobile Device

OldSchool
03-27-2014, 09:55 AM

Outside of Nick Foles, who else are they going to have to pay soon? Don't know if anyone comes to mind besides potentially Maclin next season.

beach tribe
03-27-2014, 10:06 AM
The chiefs are drafting a guard in the first round

Your trolling sucks almost as much as your actual posting.

beach tribe
03-27-2014, 10:08 AM

I think it says more about how teams view the importance of the G position.

O.city
03-27-2014, 10:12 AM
At least for the Chiefs...

Chiefs fans think it's not important, I'm curious to see what they think after we take one in the first round.

Opinions will change

beach tribe
03-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Chiefs fans think it's not important, I'm curious to see what they think after we take one in the first round.

Opinions will change
It's pretty much the consensus around here that Chiefs fans over value O-lineman, and has been for quite some time.
Amazing how all the people who seem to piss on every move we make and always expect the worst are predicting that we will take an o-lineman because it's the thing that will piss us all off the most. lol.
I think taking a G with our first pick, may be the only pick that actually will piss me off.

Chief Roundup
03-27-2014, 12:56 PM
I didn't see it mentioned but the main reason behind this was that Mathis asked for a pay raise in his contract above his 5 million dollar a year contract.