PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: How the Chiefs make Desean Jackson cap friendly.

Direckshun
03-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Pretty simple.

The Chiefs really want Desean Jackson, but they don't have a lot of cap space in 2014.

Desean Jackson really wants to play for the Chiefs, namely their coach, but he wants his payday.

How do you make these two pieces fit?

In negotiation theory, a compromise is when both sides of a dispute both sacrifice a little in order to achieve something.

However, a collaboration is when both sides get what they want from the dispute, and nobody has to sacrifice much of anything.

The solution, my friends, is in four words: the Eagles dead money.

Desean Jackson gets $10m in dead money from Philly over the next three years.

$6m in 2014
$2m in 2015
$2m in 2016

Since I'm not concerned about our cap number in 2015 (regardless of the recent thread decrying our lack of cap space, we're going to make strategic cuts that will give us around $40m pre-Houston-extension) or 2016, we obviously need to make 2014 work.

Well, the Eagles pretty much did that for us. Jackson's guaranteed $6m from them. All we need to do is pony up something like $6m, and boom, we get Jackson for a deal, and he gets paid like a mother****er.

We can pay him comfortably in 2015 and 2016, even load some guaranteed money in there. In 2017, we can have something set up to give us flexibility to cut him if we need to.

Both sides get exactly what they want without having to sacrifice anything.

The Chiefs can, and should, land Desean Jackson.

TribalElder
03-28-2014, 10:51 PM
He wants a new deal every year

OldSchool
03-28-2014, 10:53 PM

Structure it so that we can cut him by the time his wheels start to fall off. He's a WR who lives and dies by his speed and quickness. Backload the deal to years 2016 and beyond and it won't be much of a problem because we should be able to cut him without taking a huge cap hit once he hits 30+ where most small speed WRs really start to drop off.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Pretty simple.

The Chiefs really want Desean Jackson, but they don't have a lot of cap space in 2014.

Desean Jackson really wants to play for the Chiefs, namely their coach, but he wants his payday.

How do you make these two pieces fit?

In negotiation theory, a compromise is when both sides of a dispute both sacrifice a little in order to achieve something.

However, a collaboration is when both sides get what they want from the dispute, and nobody has to sacrifice much of anything.

The solution, my friends, is in four words: the Eagles dead money.

Desean Jackson gets $10m in dead money from Philly over the next three years.

$6m in 2014
$2m in 2015
$2m in 2016

Since I'm not concerned about our cap number in 2015 (regardless of the recent thread decrying our lack of cap space, we're going to make strategic cuts that will give us around $40m pre-Houston-extension) or 2016, we obviously need to make 2014 work.

Well, the Eagles pretty much did that for us. Jackson's guaranteed $6m from them. All we need to do is pony up something like $6m, and boom, we get Jackson for a deal, and he gets paid like a mother****er.

We can pay him comfortably in 2015 and 2016, even load some guaranteed money in there. In 2017, we can have something set up to give us flexibility to cut him if we need to.

Both sides get exactly what they want without having to sacrifice anything.

The Chiefs can, and should, land Desean Jackson.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say dead money.

Normally dead money means that a team is counting money against the cap that has already been paid to player that has since left the team. Which means that Jackson already has that money and won't be getting paid more from Philly.

Unless you mean something else by 'dead money', you're mistaken.

Direckshun
03-28-2014, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure what you mean when you say dead money.

Normally dead money means that a team is counting money against the cap that has already been paid to player than has left the team. Which means that Jackson already has that money from philly and it won't be getting more.

Unless you mean something else, you're mistaken.

Fair point.

When does he get it, then? I always figured if "dead money" was allocated to a particular year, than that's the year he receives it.

J Diddy
03-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Before I comment is this a "the world is ending thread" or a "fuck yeah desean jackson" thread?

RippedmyFlesh
03-28-2014, 10:58 PM

The good thing is it would be Dorsey dealing with that instead of a coach who likes him. I think it would work.

keg in kc
03-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Fair point.

When does he get it, then? I always figured if "dead money" was allocated to a particular year, than that's the year he receives it.I think Laz is right. Dead money means it was part of a bonus or guaranteed payment in the past.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Fair point.

When does he get it, then? I always figured if "dead money" was allocated to a particular year, than that's the year he receives it.
He already has it.

example

player A signs contract for 5 years, with a signing bonus of 20 million.

That mean he receives 20 million dollars all at once, when the contract is signed. But that 20 million doesn't hit the teams cap all at once, it is prorated over the length of the 5 yr contract. 4 million each year x 5 = 20 million.
say the player gets cut after year 4 of the contract

Now the team still has 4 million leftover in 'dead money' against it's cap for the 5th year of that contract, even though the player is gone.

Dead money is just a term used to talk about salary cap impact

keg in kc
03-28-2014, 11:08 PM
Jackson to here would be such a monumentally positive move (assuming he doesn't end up being Aaron Hernandez 2.0...) that the cynical side of me says there's no way it could ever happen.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Players love 'dead money' because it's really double-dipping, they are getting paid by 2 teams for the same season. Some players seem to do it on purpose.

Player A gets a new contract ... insists on big signing bonus

Player A then starts being such a complete prick that team doesn't want him anymore. He still performs on the field to keep his market value up but causes such problems behind the scenes that he gets cut

Player A then moves on to another team, with another signing bonus, gets paid again

10 million signing bonus from the 1st team even though he never finish the contract
10 million signing bonus from the 2nd team

Terrell Owens did such a masterful job of it that the league started writing stuff into the contracts to try and stop it.

The last CBA even has a clause in it about double dipping iirc.

Iconic
03-28-2014, 11:11 PM
So in other words, our only option at this point is to restructure contracts?

Mr. Laz
03-28-2014, 11:14 PM
So in other words, our only option at this point is to restructure contracts?

depends on how much Jackson wants to get paid

Since he seems to want a new contact every other year i imagine he is going to want a brand new contract compared to a top 10 wr. He won't give 2 shits that he bailed on philly with signing bonus money.

It's why i don't trust him

seems like a real weasel to me

BullJunkandIron
03-28-2014, 11:20 PM
If we did sign him he would play like crap. Rison 2.0

salame
03-28-2014, 11:23 PM
I heard somewhere the chiefs have limited cap space

Dante84
03-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Does desean "really want to play for the chiefs?"

Hammock Parties
03-28-2014, 11:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GEGTYX5.gif

salame
03-28-2014, 11:35 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/AQOpT2cYxqsjS/giphy.gif

chiefzilla1501
03-28-2014, 11:42 PM
If you're getting Desean Jackson, you have to figure out how to extend Alex Smith, Houston, and Berry. They are critical priority. For Houston and Berry, I would say you sign a contract with a modest signing bonus then include a huge roster bonus for 2016. That keeps their cap number lower the first 2 years then triggers a restructure in 2016 when our cap is more manageable. So Berry's 2014 number can actually be cut down. That's a cap savings.

Alex Smith and Desean Jackson are different. You probably want to front-load both of those guys. The only other option is to start slashing your depth guys like Fasano or Avery or Devito.

If we sign Jackson, I doubt we re-sign Houston in 2014 and Alex Smith's contract will be much harder to front-load. Houston's contract will probably balloon in 2015 which is not a chance I want to take. So if you want the guy, those are the kind of strategic choices you have to make.

Mr. Laz
03-28-2014, 11:49 PM
You don't want to front load Desean Jackson's contract, that is just setting yourself up to get fucked by him when he demands another contract with another bonus.

incentives and base salary with as little bonus money as possible to make sure he works for all the money he gets

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2014, 11:59 PM
You'd have to extend Berry now to drop his cap #. Extending Houston doesn't help your cap this year. You could also talk to Hali, DJ and/or Flowers about an extra year w/ a signing bonus to drop their cap #s.

Chief Roundup
03-29-2014, 12:00 AM
He has already received this "dead money" in the form of a signing bonus. The Eagles cap may have to represent those numbers but Jacksons bank account shows that as money already in and out.
There is no way that we can use the money that the Eagles are on their own cap hook for. It might be different if the Eagles still had to write him a check this year for 6 mil.

Chief Roundup
03-29-2014, 12:03 AM
You'd have to extend Berry now to drop his cap #. Extending Houston doesn't help your cap this year. You could also talk to Hali, DJ and/or Flowers about an extra year w/ a signing bonus to drop their cap #s.

I know Flowers did it last year. Hali and Flowers may be on their way out next season. I don't really like the idea of making us have to carry anything over on the cap for players that are not going to be around for a while. I thought DJ already did this once as well.

chiefzilla1501
03-29-2014, 12:12 AM
You don't want to front load Desean Jackson's contract, that is just setting yourself up to get ****ed by him when he demands another contract with another bonus.

incentives and base salary with as little bonus money as possible to make sure he works for all the money he gets

In a perfect world, yes. If you can negotiate that. But he's going to fight like hell to negotiate a contract with a sizable bonus.

Dayze
03-29-2014, 12:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/GEGTYX5.gif

LMAO

T-post Tom
03-29-2014, 12:46 AM
Raiders & Jets will break the bank for him. If Dorsey/Reid want him, they better get him in here quick. BTW, a couple of folks here need to bust out their 'Madden' & practice the Franchise mode.

TEX
03-29-2014, 06:53 AM
DeSean Jackson will be cap friendly for the Chiefs when he signs with another team. IMO, dude is not worth the hassle.

jd1020
03-29-2014, 06:55 AM
If you're getting Desean Jackson, you have to figure out how to extend Alex Smith, Houston, and Berry.

Care to explain how extending a player on his 3rd round rookie contract SAVES cap space?

TEX
03-29-2014, 06:58 AM
If you're getting Desean Jackson, you have to figure out how to extend Alex Smith, Houston, and Berry. They are critical priority. For Houston and Berry, I would say you sign a contract with a modest signing bonus then include a huge roster bonus for 2016. That keeps their cap number lower the first 2 years then triggers a restructure in 2016 when our cap is more manageable. So Berry's 2014 number can actually be cut down. That's a cap savings.

Alex Smith and Desean Jackson are different. You probably want to front-load both of those guys. The only other option is to start slashing your depth guys like Fasano or Avery or Devito.

If we sign Jackson, I doubt we re-sign Houston in 2014 and Alex Smith's contract will be much harder to front-load. Houston's contract will probably balloon in 2015 which is not a chance I want to take. So if you want the guy, those are the kind of strategic choices you have to make.

:facepalm: "Front load" DeSean Jackson??? "Not sign Houston" ????

Speechless...

keg in kc
03-29-2014, 07:01 AM
Not my usual stance, but if the team decides he's worth the hassle, I won't have any reason to complain. They'll have access to background checks and info I'll never see regarding his personality and affiliations. And it's kind of hard to argue against the value of a guy who just posted an 80-catch, 1300 yard, 9 TD season who'll basically be in the middle of his prime at 28 during the season. He would add a relatively rare element of playmaking ability to this offense.

SeeingRed
03-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Not my usual stance, but if the team decides he's worth the hassle, I won't have any reason to complain. They'll have access to background checks and info I'll never see regarding his personality and affiliations. And it's kind of hard to argue against the value of a guy who just posted an 80-catch, 1300 yard, 9 TD season who'll basically be in the middle of his prime at 28 during the season. He would add a relatively rare element of playmaking ability to this offense.

yep

TEX
03-29-2014, 07:32 AM

+ 1

BlackHelicopters
03-29-2014, 08:24 AM
What's the Chiefs cap situation like?

jd1020
03-29-2014, 08:25 AM
What's the Chiefs cap situation like?

$4,517,069

chiefzilla1501
03-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Care to explain how extending a player on his 3rd round rookie contract SAVES cap space?

I am saying if you get Desean Jackson, then you are completely all-in and that means you have 2 years to extend him.

But I'll take it a step further. I would also really prefer not to let Houston hit the 2015 free agent market. His price is probably going to skyrocket given the new cap and once teams start competing for him. Not to mention I expect him to have another really good season, which only drives his price up. So even if it kills your cap today, Houston is a contract you probably want to take care of ASAP.

jd1020
03-29-2014, 08:43 AM
So even if it kills your cap today, Houston is a contract you probably want to take care of ASAP.

So your argument for creating space to sign Jackson is to kill it by extending Houston?

Houston's money will come with the release of Flowers and/or Hali.

bevischief
03-29-2014, 08:45 AM
For that keep out jail money...

keg in kc
03-29-2014, 08:46 AM
They're already in talks with Houston. He's probably getting done regardless of Jackson.

chiefzilla1501
03-29-2014, 08:47 AM
:facepalm: "Front load" DeSean Jackson??? "Not sign Houston" ????

Speechless...

Yes, if you do go after Desean Jackson, Laz's scenario is better where you don't pay him a signing bonus. But I'm sure he's pushing against that. If he demands a big signing bonus, sorry, but I don't trust the guy one bit to not bitch about his contract or do something stupid. So I would want a contract that's easy to get out of at any time with no dead money. Front-loading does that.

Where did you get that I don't want to sign Houston? I'm saying that if you sign Jackson, Houston becomes really difficult to sign in 2014 without juggling a LOT of stuff around. Which means you're basically begging him to test the 2015 market where we probably would re-sign him, but at an enormous price tag. Of course, we could franchise him, but that's going to cost us as of now $12.5M.

chiefzilla1501
03-29-2014, 08:51 AM
So your argument for creating space to sign Jackson is to kill it by extending Houston?

Houston's money will come with the release of Flowers and/or Hali.

If I had to choose between the two, I would put extending Houston as a much higher priority than signing Jackson. The franchise tag helps you somewhat. But Houston's asking price is going to balloon the next 2 years.

OldSchool
03-29-2014, 09:21 AM
If I had to choose between the two, I would put extending Houston as a much higher priority than signing Jackson. The franchise tag helps you somewhat. But Houston's asking price is going to balloon the next 2 years.

Houston is going to demand something around 5 years and $60 mil.

Rausch
03-29-2014, 09:35 AM
He just got real cap friendly...

Hammock Parties
03-29-2014, 07:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JFW9Dep.gif

HonestChieffan
03-29-2014, 09:02 PM
Dirt ball. We dont need this shit.

OldSchool
03-29-2014, 10:16 PM
He just got real cap friendly...

You think he deserves more than Clay Matthews who was a Defensive Player of the Year caliber player and a 2-time All-Pro?

Matthews was just extended to a 5-year $66 mil deal in 2013.

chiefzilla1501
03-29-2014, 10:17 PM
So just to clarify… We don't like the way Desean Jackson looks in baseball caps?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-29-2014, 10:34 PM
DeSean Jackson is already cap friendly

Bust-a-cap friendly !

Lmao

White people

CoMoChief
03-29-2014, 10:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JFW9Dep.gif

LMAO

TEX
03-29-2014, 11:29 PM
So just to clarify… We don't like the way Desean Jackson looks in baseball caps?

Blue ones...

beach tribe
03-30-2014, 04:02 AM
You think he deserves more than Clay Matthews who was a Defensive Player of the Year caliber player and a 2-time All-Pro?

Matthews was just extended to a 5-year $66 mil deal in 2013.

He will command at least that.
Contracts always go up. Houston is on that level and could get that on the open market.