PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports A question for the NYC-based Planeteers

Archie F. Swin
04-02-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm going to be visiting NYC for the first time in mid-June. While there I'll be relying mainly on public transportation and staying in the theatre district. My (2) kids and I would like to see a Yankees game on the Friday we'll be there. My question is, is the most cost-effective method of transportation from midtown to Yankees stadium the train? If so, how long before first pitch should we leave to get to our seats on time. Will there be any concern riding the train in the Bronx late night after the game? Also, would it be too risky to expect to buy tix at the gate, or are there usually seats left for weekend games (I think they're playing the Orioles)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pushead2
04-02-2014, 03:36 PM
The train from Midtown-West (B & D) to the stadium is by far the best, cheapest & fastest way to get there.

If it's a 7:00pm game, I would get on the train by 5:30pm the latest if you want to take it in, snap some pictures & get in your seat with some food for the first pitch. If its an afternoon game, try to look up service disruptions. An hour and a half should still be plenty of time.

No, the new Yankee stadium has the train RIGHT across the street. It's not the greatest area (of course) but you'll be just fine.

Don't waste your time with the gate. I would just go onto StubHub and get some tickets.

If you want any more info or tips, shoot me a DM.

Bambi
04-02-2014, 03:39 PM
The trains are completely safe to ride from Manhattan to the Bronx (Yankee Stadium) especially during gamedays. They run extra trains because it gets crowded.

From Times Square the best train is the B or the D. You can also take the 4 but it is primarily on the East side of Manhattan which is a bit far from the theater district.

The ride will take about 30-40 minutes in total so if you give yourself an hour you should make first pitch. But if you go early you can spend time out at monument park and walking around the stadium.

nychief
04-02-2014, 03:41 PM
6 train.

Archie F. Swin
05-14-2014, 04:31 PM
What are my transportation options getting 8 people from JFK to midtown?

milkman
05-14-2014, 04:36 PM
What are my transportation options getting 8 people from JFK to midtown?

Hitchhike.

bdj23
05-14-2014, 05:16 PM
I had a pretty good time wandering around the Bronx drunk after a Yankees game last month.

I got to be the only white guy in the Vega Alta sports bar. Our waitress and the bartender were talking about Human Centipede all night long. I made them watch the Daniel Tosh review of it.