PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 109

Rain Man
04-06-2014, 06:34 PM
What the h***. One more bonus heat. I'm bored. Three heats up on Sunday.

The rules:

In Round 1, I'm going to put up three randomly selected scenes from the nomination thread.

You'll vote for your ONE favorite scene among the three. The key here is FAVORITE. We're not talking about the 'best' or 'most powerful' or 'most meaningful'. We're talking about the scene that you most enjoy watching, however you define that.

The winners will move on. I'll also take the 10 highest-scoring second-place scenes and they'll advance as wild cards.

Some of our nominations did not include clips. This will be noted. If you find a clip, please post it and let me know so I can update it if it moves on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UN4Y6WSzS1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qN-_cZNDy0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AX0XDHF3M60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
04-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Hmm, a tough choice here between my top two. My votes:

#1 - The Wife of Bwian. Ah, yes. The good old days when you could openly make fun of speech impediments. I cringe at this a bit, but any scene with John Cleese gets a boost in my ratings. I'll give it a shallow win.

#2 - Rocky Balboa. I'm not sure which movie this is because it's not in the official nomination post. It's actually not a bad scene, though his accent really bothers me. If not for the accent I might have ranked this one first.

#3 - Anchorman. I'm becoming more and more angry that Will Farrell makes a living with these movies. He's not funny, people. He's. Not. Funny.

Dave Lane
04-06-2014, 08:59 PM
#cancelFarrell

cosmo20002
04-06-2014, 09:10 PM

#2 - Rocky Balboa. I'm not sure which movie this is because it's not in the official nomination post. It's actually not a bad scene, though his accent really bothers me. If not for the accent I might have ranked this one first.

That is the name of the movie. I guess they didn't want to go with Rocky VI.

cosmo20002
04-06-2014, 09:13 PM

#3 - Anchorman. I'm becoming more and more angry that Will Farrell makes a living with these movies. He's not funny, people. He's. Not. Funny.

And this is probably his best movie.

The formula:
1. Take someone who is mildly humorous for a few minutes at a time on SNL.
2. Stretch that personality out for 90 minutes.
3. Profit. (sometimes)

BlackHelicopters
04-07-2014, 07:34 AM
None

jjchieffan
04-07-2014, 10:55 AM

I agree. He has to be the absolute worst comic out there. Other than go fuck yourself San Diego, I have never found any part of his movies funny.

ThaVirus
04-07-2014, 11:00 AM
ThaVirus with the clutch vote to put Anchorman and Life of Brian neck and neck!

Rain Man
04-07-2014, 11:06 AM

Your cruelty astounds me.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-07-2014, 08:27 PM

:clap:

Nice job! Anchorman is now winning. True comedy prevails!

Rain Man
04-08-2014, 09:09 PM
With face in palm and a slightly disgusted look, I'll announce that Anchorman moves on to the second round.

Easy 6
04-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Anchorman is a great, funny movie but sonofabitch, its not even Ferrells best.

Tell ya what, lets just skip the rest of this contest and nominate Anchorman as the best mother****ing movie ever made, because it wins every heat no matter what its up against, what a joke.

Its not even this heat in particular, just a sweeping trend I've noticed... "huh huh they made another dirty joke they win!"

Kids today... :shake:

ThaVirus
04-08-2014, 09:29 PM
U mad, Scott? U seem mad.

TimBone
04-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Let's not get riled up over a weak heat folks.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-09-2014, 11:32 AM
I don't understand how someone could not like Anchorman. I really don't.

TimBone
04-09-2014, 12:23 PM
I don't understand how someone could not like Anchorman. I really don't.

It's got its moments...but there's a lot of absolute stupidity in it as well. I could how some folks would like it and some folks wouldnt.

That being said, I enjoyed the first one and couldn't stomach more than 20 minutes of the sequel.

TimBone
04-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Rain Man, has there been any nominated scene from Anchorman that you enjoyed? How about the gang fight between all the news teams? I don't know if it was nominated, but I thought that's scene was pretty good.

Rain Man
04-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Rain Man, has there been any nominated scene from Anchorman that you enjoyed? How about the gang fight between all the news teams? I don't know if it was nominated, but I thought that's scene was pretty good.

The gang fight scene was fine. It's not world class by any means, but it was fine. It's pretty much like your typical Saturday Night Live skit. Having seen that, I prefer the scene afterward where they say, "That escalated quickly."

The Will Ferrell phenomenon is my bigger problem. If I was to rank SNL alums, he probably wouldn't crack my top 15. He was fine but not spectacular. But for some reason a generation of Americans has decided that he's the funniest comedian of their generation, and he's just not. He's a fine skit guy and that's it.

WhawhaWhat
04-09-2014, 01:30 PM
If I was to rank SNL alums, he probably wouldn't crack my top 15.

Prove it.

Rain Man
04-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Prove it.

My top 15 in descending order...

Eddie Murphy
Phil Hartmann
Dana Carvey
Tina Fey
Tim Kazurinsky
Rob Schneider
Chris Kattan
Chris Farley
John Belushi
Mike Myers
Martin Short
Dennis Miller
Bill Hader
Jon Lovitz
Amy Poehler

Will Ferrell is getting close at this point, but I'm still not sure I'd put him above
Norm McDonald, Bill Murray, Kevin Nealon, and David Spade.

I don't have anything against the guy, but he's just not a top-tier talent.

Easy 6
04-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Prove it.

LMAO

TimBone
04-09-2014, 07:36 PM
The Will Ferrell phenomenon is my bigger problem. If I was to rank SNL alums, he probably wouldn't crack my top 15. He was fine but not spectacular. But for some reason a generation of Americans has decided that he's the funniest comedian of their generation, and he's just not. He's a fine skit guy and that's it.

I agree with all of this. I'm from the Will Ferrell generation, but I don't enjoy him much at all. I find Stepbrothers unwatchable, and a lot of people my age think I'm nuts because of it.