PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Texans Looking Towards Johnnie Football At #1

SeeingRed
04-07-2014, 10:49 AM
According to John McClain long time Texans beat writer and writer for the Houston Chronical projects Manziel will go #1

http://www.hngn.com/articles/28284/20140407/johnny-manziel-draft-rumors-what-nfl-experts-saying-update.htm

BlackHelicopters
04-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Hog Farmer JIHP

SeeingRed
04-07-2014, 10:51 AM
oops...spelled Johnny wrong lmao :-/ dammit

OldSchool
04-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Whelp, good for them I guess?

I wouldn't have passed on Clowney for any of this year's QBs. He's a once in a generation type of talent. I'm not sure about Mayock's crowning him as the most physically gifted DE in the history of the NFL, but he's certainly up there.

If that pick happens, I expect the Falcons or Jags to call the Rams in hopes of landing Clowney.

LoneWolf
04-07-2014, 10:58 AM
So, one guy puts Johnny Manziel as the top pick in his mock draft and this is proof that the Texans are looking at Manziel as the number one pick? Did you actually read the article that the link to the mock draft was from? This joker is the only "expert" saying Manziel is going #1.

Coochie liquor
04-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Whelp, good for them I guess?

I wouldn't have passed on Clowney for any of this year's QBs. He's a once in a generation type of talent. I'm not sure about Mayock's crowning him as the most physically gifted DE in the history of the NFL, but he's certainly up there.

If that pick happens, I expect the Falcons or Jags to call the Rams in hopes of landing Clowney.

If he can find reasons to stay motivated. IMO he hasn't shown that yet. Not saying I wouldn't take him though.

AndChiefs
04-07-2014, 11:04 AM
So, one guy puts Johnny Manziel as the top pick in his mock draft and this is proof that the Texans are looking at Manziel as the number one pick? Did you actually read the article that the link to the mock draft was from? This joker is the only "expert" saying Manziel is going #1.

You really want to pit yourself against John McClain?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fieBOT_Q8oY/T1656KMeobI/AAAAAAAAAPU/TW7EhnrHj4o/s1600/tumblr_ldw1d8URXB1qzrudv.jpg

SeeingRed
04-07-2014, 11:04 AM

McClain has covered Houston Football for 35 years and wouldnt report it unless it was pretty solid. If they grab Manziel at #1 St Louis trades out of #2 with Atlanta so they can grab Clowney

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24517794/rams-gm-les-snead-in-talks-with-teams-about-trading-no-2-pick

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
04-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Mike Zimmer could be right about Manziel, but man is he ever going to fail in the NFL with his old school approach. Concerned about a guy shooting a McDonald's commercial? Haha, idiot. Greg Schiano wants his schtick back.

AndChiefs
04-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Mike Zimmer could be right about Manziel, but man is he ever going to fail in the NFL with his old school approach. Concerned about a guy shooting a McDonald's commercial? Haha, idiot. Greg Schiano wants his schtick back.

I'll believe it when Manziel goes by the Vikings pick. Until then, it's strategy.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
04-07-2014, 11:10 AM
I'll believe it when Manziel goes by the Vikings pick. Until then, it's strategy.

Well he'd make a fool of me.

greatgooglymoogly
04-07-2014, 11:12 AM
There aren't any once in a generation talents in this draft IMO. I think Bridgewater should be #1, but I don't think he'll be a top two or three (or five) QB at any point in his career. Manziel at #1 makes sense for Houston due to marketing reasons.

RealSNR
04-07-2014, 11:15 AM
So, one guy puts Johnny Manziel as the top pick in his mock draft and this is proof that the Texans are looking at Manziel as the number one pick?

Does it sound like he's ordering a pizza?

OldSchool
04-07-2014, 11:16 AM
If he can find reasons to stay motivated. IMO he hasn't shown that yet. Not saying I wouldn't take him though.

Well, the thing is that he doesn't really have an issue with his work ethic. The only real knock on him is that, while he does everything that's asked of him, he doesn't really go above and beyond that. People are knocking him because he doesn't have the Jerry Rice type of fanatic work ethic that guys like Larry Fitzgerald, Ray Lewis, etc. all had.

If he really wants to be the best of all time, he's going to have to step up his preparation to at least close to those levels.

If he just sticks to the normal level of preparation that can be found in the league, he's still going to be a potential HOF player because of his pure natural talent.

Eleazar
04-07-2014, 11:22 AM
When John McClane tells you to do something, you do it.

Bowser
04-07-2014, 11:22 AM
New coaching staff + new QB = new direction for Houston. Plus it will be a fan favorite move to bring in money and put butts in the seats, so I get why they would consider it. But Clowney next to Watt would wreck shit every week, something to be considered, especially since they have to go against the new golden boy in Andrew Luck twice a year.

In58men
04-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Smoke screen for those who want Manziel. Texans might wanna trade back.

BigBeauford
04-07-2014, 11:26 AM
I think Clowney has generational measurables, but he has legitimate questions about being a football player. As a fanbase, I am happy with either, but both certainly have bust potential. Let's be honest, they didn't end up keeping Mario Williams, so hitting on Manziel will mean more long term to their franchise.

MIAdragon
04-07-2014, 11:26 AM
http://thestatetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Ryan-Leaf.jpg

BigBeauford
04-07-2014, 11:28 AM

Same thing can be said about Clowney. His coach didn't exactly give a ringing endorsement about his attitude/work ethic.

LoneWolf
04-07-2014, 11:35 AM
McClain has covered Houston Football for 35 years and wouldnt report it unless it was pretty solid. If they grab Manziel at #1 St Louis trades out of #2 with Atlanta so they can grab Clowney

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24517794/rams-gm-les-snead-in-talks-with-teams-about-trading-no-2-pick

Teicher has been covering the Chiefs for a number of years now and he doesn't know jack shit about what the Chiefs draft plans are in any year. If the Texans select Manziel with the #1 pick, they are fucking stupid. Almost as stupid as drafting a RT from a small school at 1.1. Almost.

Bowser
04-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Junior Seau tried to help Ryan Leaf become a better person/player

Ryan Leaf washed out of the league in a few years

Junior Seau took his own life

COINCIDENCE???

htismaqe
04-07-2014, 11:39 AM
What an interesting problem to have. Clowney? Or Manziel?

Joeckel? Or Fisher?

Bowser
04-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Joeckel? Or Fisher?

No shit, right?

I'd hate to see a team more snakebit than this one. It borders on comical.

keg in kc
04-07-2014, 11:42 AM
I think Clowney has generational measurables, but he has legitimate questions about being a football player. As a fanbase, I am happy with either, but both certainly have bust potential. Let's be honest, they didn't end up keeping Mario Williams, so hitting on Manziel will mean more long term to their franchise.That's the tricky thing with the Texans. For every Mario Williams, there's a David Carr.

Tribal Warfare
04-07-2014, 11:56 AM

Joeckel? Or Fisher?

We can't have nice things it seems.

RealSNR
04-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Joeckel? Or Fisher?

The hilarious part is I could easily see Texans fans bitching about their luck on message boards the same way we do.

"Three #1 overall picks in 12 years, and the best QBs in each year are David Carr, Vince Young, and Johnny Manziel. Meanwhile we have to play in a division with the team that lands Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck each time they have the #1 overall pick. It's our lot in life to suffer!"

Eleazar
04-07-2014, 12:14 PM

Joeckel? Or Fisher?

I would take the pass rusher who most regard as the best player in the draft over the tweener QB prospect 8 times a week.

Jimmya
04-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Manziel over Clowney in a heart beat.

htismaqe
04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
I would take the pass rusher who most regard as the best player in the draft over the tweener QB prospect 8 times a week.

I'd take them both over Eric Fisher.

Jimmya
04-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Me too!

Eleazar
04-07-2014, 01:28 PM
I'd take them both over Eric Fisher.

I'd probably rather have Fisher than Manziel... even if he was overdrafted.

Direckshun
04-07-2014, 01:30 PM

You are high as a motherfucking kite.

htismaqe
04-07-2014, 01:48 PM

:facepalm:

RunKC
04-07-2014, 01:54 PM
I can see it now...

"Johnny Football rolls to the left, is pressures but escapes, heaves the ball and ohhhhh it's intercepted"

keg in kc
04-07-2014, 01:55 PM
I can't think of any situation where I'd go Fisher at #1.

I also can't think of any situation where I'd go Manziel at #1.

But if it's one or the other, and those are my only two options, I go for the QB.

Bewbies
04-07-2014, 02:05 PM
I kind of feel for the Texans here. They have to be right about Manziel. Nothing else matters. If they pass he better fail. If they take him he has to succeed.

Kind of a tough spot to be in. Good thing they went for the sure fire Patriot Way to guide them.

Jimmya
04-07-2014, 02:09 PM
One thing is for sure, if they draft Manziel they will sell out every game in about 3hrs.... According to the local radio stations.

LoneWolf
04-07-2014, 02:52 PM
One thing is for sure, if they draft Manziel they will sell out every game in about 3hrs.... According to the local radio stations.

And when he turns out to be a Jamarcus Russell sized bust and the Texans suck for the next 10 years, that stadium will be fucking empty. But it will be OK because well they did sell out all their games for one season. :shake:

Mr. Laz
04-07-2014, 03:15 PM
i will let Hog Farmer take a dump on my chest if Manziel goes #1.

not really, but i just don't see it

TEX
04-07-2014, 03:19 PM
According to John McClain long time Texans beat writer and writer for the Houston Chronical projects Manziel will go #1

http://www.hngn.com/articles/28284/20140407/johnny-manziel-draft-rumors-what-nfl-experts-saying-update.htm

He's bias - he's been on the "Johnny Manziel " bandwagon since the Texans lost 9 in a row and it was obvious that they were going to get a top 5 pick. He's been advocating for the Texans to take Manziel # 1 since they were awarded the top pick. In fact, the other local radio guys make fun of him sometimes about it. They're always asking him,"What ya gonna do John WHEN the Texans take Clowney #1?"

IMO, and more than a few others in the local media, if the Texans can't trade out of #1, they go Clowney and take a QB with the first pick in Round two or trade it to New England for Ryan Mallet, who O'brien really likes but not sure if he likes him enough to give up a # 2.

Eleazar
04-07-2014, 03:19 PM
You are high as a mother****ing kite.

Fisher would have been fine as a mid to late 1st round pick. Manziel probably should be late 1st/early 2nd

Mr. Laz
04-07-2014, 03:23 PM
You are high as a motherfucking kite.
How about this ...

if Fisher turns out to be a better pro than Manziel, you post a selfie on CP right before you shoot yourself in the head with a shotgun.

sound like a plan?

TEX
04-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Manziel over Clowney in a heart beat.

Really? Even knowing that you have Watt? Watt + Clowney could be very special.

TEX
04-07-2014, 03:25 PM
How about this ...

if Fisher turns out to be a better pro than Manziel, you post a selfie on CP right before you shoot yourself in the head with a shotgun.

sound like a plan?

ROFL

htismaqe
04-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Fisher would have been fine as a mid to late 1st round pick. Manziel probably should be late 1st/early 2nd

Like every QB not named Luck. Too risky.

BigMeatballDave
04-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Actually, a 5'11 QB at 1.1 is a huge risk.

Preemptive post: Brees - 2.33/Wilson - 3.75

keg in kc
04-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Like every QB not named Luck. Too risky.My impression runs more along the lines of being a 6'1 sophomore 2-year starting spread-running close-your-eyes-and-chuck-it-up-in-the-general-direction-of-Mike Evans kind of quarterback.

htismaqe
04-07-2014, 03:44 PM
My impression runs more along the lines of being a 6'1 sophomore 2-year starting spread-running close-your-eyes-and-chuck-it-up-in-the-general-direction-of-Mike Evans kind of quarterback.

He's smaller than 6'1". Legit question mark.

2-year starter. Legit question mark.

Spread offense. Legit question mark.

The rest of your post indicates to me you didn't watch him play a whole lot.

htismaqe
04-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Actually, a 5'11 QB at 1.1 is a huge risk.

Yes, yes it is.

People can find something wrong with just about every QB that comes out. At some point, you have to take some risks if you want the payoff.

keg in kc
04-07-2014, 03:47 PM
The rest of your post indicates to me you didn't watch him play a whole lot.Probably 8 games last year. Just a guess.

Either way, you're saying you only have issue with 25% of what I said.

Heck, I left character and maturity out of it.

Mr. Laz
04-07-2014, 03:48 PM

http://img151.imagevenue.com/loc370/th_00135_download_122_370lo.jpg

htismaqe
04-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Probably 8 games last year. Just a guess.

Either way, you're saying you only have issue with 25% of what I said.

Heck, I left character and maturity out of it.

I also left improvisational skills and intangibles out of it.

The guy has moxie oozing out of every pore. That's something worth considering.

For all of his physical limitations, Tim Tebow won a playoff game after all. Manziel has Tebow's spirit but can actually, you know, throw the ball.

BullJunkandIron
04-07-2014, 03:55 PM
New coaching staff + new QB = new direction for Houston. Plus it will be a fan favorite move to bring in money and put butts in the seats, so I get why they would consider it. But Clowney next to Watt would wreck shit every week, something to be considered, especially since they have to go against the new golden boy in Andrew Luck twice a year.

Houston has sold out every home game since they returned. The waiting list for psl's is over 20k. Putting butts in the seats is the least of Houston's worries.

htismaqe
04-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Houston has sold out every home game since they returned. The waiting list for psl's is over 20k. Putting butts in the seats is the least of Houston's worries.

There's more to it than just ticket sales. There's merchandising, advertising, etc. etc.

keg in kc
04-07-2014, 03:57 PM
I also left improvisational skills and intangibles out of it.

The guy has moxie oozing out of every pore. That's something worth considering.

For all of his physical limitations, Tim Tebow won a playoff game after all. Manziel has Tebow's spirit but can actually, you know, throw the ball.I've called him Johnny Tebow a few times.

'course that's not a complement: I laughed at the Broncos for drafting Tebow in the first round. Manziel's sort of like the right handed, not holy-rolling yet somehow equally douchebaggy midget version of him.

Although I think the better comparison might be a bit slower, SPCA-friendly, right-handed version of Michael Vick.

htismaqe
04-07-2014, 03:59 PM
I've called him Johnny Tebow a few times.

'course that's not a complement: I laughed at the Broncos for drafting Tebow in the first round. Manziel's sort of like the right handed, not holy-rolling yet somehow equally douchebaggy midget version of him.

Although I think the better comparison might be a bit slower, SPCA-friendly, right-handed version of Michael Vick.

Manziel is a better passer than Vick ever was. He's got touch, something Vick never mastered.

Look, I'm not saying I'd take Manziel #1 overall in an ideal world. But the idea that he's a 2nd round pick is just fucking ridiculously laughable.

He's better than Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker all put together...

Dayze
04-07-2014, 04:28 PM
How about this ...

sound like a plan?

LMAO epic.

keg in kc
04-07-2014, 04:33 PM
I never said anything about the second round. Well, I did with Tebow, but Johnny Douchebag's better than Tebow.

He's in about the same range Sanchez was for me five years ago. I might consider it with a mid-first pick, somewhere in the late teens to the twenties. I think he's worth that sort of gamble. I just wouldn't go 1 overall with him.

And you know me, it's not a general positional thing. I look at guys individually. I think there's enough red flags with him that it makes me wary. If he plays another year, if he shows he's done some growing up (both on and off the field) and if his production doesn't decline significantly, he goes higher on my board. But a Sophomore coming out...not something I really want to touch with a blue-chip pick.

'course the Texans are in a unique shituation.

htismaqe
04-07-2014, 04:40 PM
I never said anything about the second round. Well, I did with Tebow, but Johnny Douchebag's better than Tebow.

I know you didn't. I wasn't talking specifically about you.

kccrow
04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I believe something like 1 of the past 25 SuperBowls was won with a QB that wasn't among the tops in the league at the position. Even Brad Johnson had a masterful year when Tampa Bay won it all. So, that being said, when you need a QB and you are in position to take the best one on your board, you take a QB. The defensive player is nice, but it is almost a lock that you'll win as many SuperBowls with him as you will by passing on him. If they feel Johnny Manziel is the #1 QB on the board, then they should take him. Personally, Manziel is the number one QB on my board. If I'm Houston though, I would try very hard to move that #1 pick to a team like Atlanta that would want a Clowney and I might sell a little bit low to do it. I know a #1 pick has never been traded, but that doesn't mean it can't be.

Jimmya
04-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Fans here in Texas want Johnny Football!

TribalElder
04-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Clowney, to Romeo, to waste his career holding the line along with JJ

Simply Red
04-07-2014, 06:15 PM

Joeckel? Or Fisher?

http://i.imgur.com/cybSGHc.gif

Simply Red
04-07-2014, 06:18 PM
The Chiefs have proven who they are by signing Jeff Linkenbach, with him being practically their only move, Chiefs get an F!!! .... 'F' for ****OFF!!!

SAUTO
04-07-2014, 06:19 PM
I can't think of any situation where I'd go Fisher at #1.

I also can't think of any situation where I'd go Manziel at #1.

But if it's one or the other, and those are my only two options, I go for the QB.
This
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
04-07-2014, 06:29 PM
The Chiefs have proven who they are by signing Jeff Linkenbach, with him being practically their only move, Chiefs get an F!!! .... 'F' for ****OFF!!!

Have you heard the term 'Depth'?

Mr. Laz
04-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Yep, it goes along well behind STARTERS

lose starters, sign depth

booyah!!

cdcox
04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Manziel at #1 makes sense for Houston due to marketing reasons.

Kind of like Fisher at #1 made sense for the Chiefs due to marketing reasons?

http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/CHIEFS-FANS.gif

Mr. Laz
04-07-2014, 07:03 PM

http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/CHIEFS-FANS.gifstick with math, idiot.

Simply Red
04-07-2014, 07:04 PM

yes - but I've never heard of Jeff Linkenbach

LoneWolf
04-07-2014, 07:19 PM
yes - but I've never heard of Jeff Linkenbach

No offense SR, and I'm not defending the Chiefs moves in FA, but if we are going to measure their success in signing players based on wether or not you've heard of them, they are always going to receive an F. You seem like a good dude and your knowledge of men's fashion is top notch, but your football knowledge is on the same level as Clay's knowledge of the female orgasm.

greatgooglymoogly
04-07-2014, 07:24 PM

Manziel is from south Texas, inside the Texans media footprint. He was a superstar college QB at a school one hour from Houston. He would instantly sell tickets and merchandise there in a way that Blake Bortles never could. In fact, it allows the Texans to run back their 2006 dilemma and find out what would have happened if they picked the local legend.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Manziel is from south Texas, inside the Texans media footprint. He was a superstar college QB at a school one hour from Houston. He would instantly sell tickets and merchandise there in a way that Blake Bortles never could. In fact, it allows the Texans to run back their 2006 dilemma and find out what would have happened if they picked the local legend.

This plus they'll win the Super Bowl this year.

Deberg_1990
04-07-2014, 07:48 PM
He actually spent today visiting with the Raiders

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339644/article/johnny-manziel-visiting-oakland-raiders