PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you treat your sons and daughters differently?

Direckshun
04-10-2014, 08:10 AM
There was a really weird piece on the Daily Show last night covering Sean Hannity's dumbass segments this past week on Spring Break:

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:thedailyshow.com:44f6ef92-c0a1-4b2e-b166-5b05c0da9018" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://thedailyshow.cc.com/">The Daily Show</a></b><br />Get More: <a href="http://thedailyshow.cc.com/full-episodes/">Daily Show Full Episodes</a>,<a href="http://www.comedycentral.com/indecision">Indecision Political Humor</a>,<a href="http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow">The Daily Show on Facebook</a></p></div></div>

So, yeah. This really happened all week.

But aside from the ridiculous bullshit of this segment, one thing does make me curious about the parents on CP.

Do you guys treat your sons and daughters differently because of their gender?

Katipan
04-10-2014, 08:14 AM
I treat them differently but it has nothing to do with gender. Certainly my core expectations remain the same.

Dunerdr
No I treat my son like a prince and my daughter as a wench as god intended. Jk I don't have a daughter.

Simply Red
I was smart - I had no kids.

Graystoke
04-10-2014, 08:15 AM
I Most definitely do. I have two boys and one girl. Each one is so different, so they all get treated according to their personality.
However, having a Daughter is so much different than the boys. I always make sure she is treated special because I want her to be strong and confident in life.

Eleazar
04-10-2014, 08:15 AM
In before D.C.

BigMeatballDave
04-10-2014, 08:20 AM
I just have a son.

I often wonder what kind of relationship I'd have with a daughter.

My son is a chip off the ol block. We have so much in common. His stepdad calls us soulmates lol

Buehler445
04-10-2014, 08:23 AM
I only have the one so far. Wife's not good for another one yet (it's been 1 month).

I do have female and male nieces and nephews. At the end of the day I treat each of them differently. Each one of them responds to everything differently. It sucks to try to learn it all, but it is what it is. You keep trying when you love them.

I didn't watch the clip, but from a discipline perspective, yeah. What's unacceptable for one is unacceptable for the other.

Prison Bitch
04-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Any man who says no is a liar

Phobia
04-10-2014, 10:27 AM
My son is a lot younger than his older sisters. Had nothing but girls before him. I'm probably going to ruin him.

Rain Man
04-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I would be more likely to send my sons on long sea voyages, and more likely to send my daughters on long overland voyages. Not sure why.

Katipan
04-10-2014, 10:42 AM
My son is a lot younger than his older sisters. Had nothing but girls before him. I'm probably going to ruin him.

I have a neighbor guy that is the epitome of chivalry. Even helps teach a faith finders class for kids. One day he came rushing to help me with a gas can. And as I clucked at him that I was appreciative but entirely capable, he brushed it off with, "I don't know what to tell you. I was raised by women."

Amazing guy. Dates his step sister tho.

Phobia
04-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Step sisters always give better oral.

keg in kc
04-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Holy shit, that was hilarious.

keg in kc
04-10-2014, 10:57 AM
I was smart - I had no kids.You can me both, brother.

Although I think of it more like I was doing a service for future generations.

Hammock Parties
04-10-2014, 10:58 AM
I always make sure she is treated special because I want her to be strong and confident in life.

Congrats on raising an entitled little princess who will expect her future mates to cater to her every whim and desire and expect nothing in return.

KC native
04-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Congrats on raising an entitled little princess who will expect her future mates to cater to her every whim and desire and expect nothing in return.

LMAO

loochy
Do you guys treat your sons and daughters differently because of their gender?

I dunno.

Do you treat your dad and your dad differently?

RealSNR
I don't have any children, but I absolutely treat other people's daughters differently from their sons

keg in kc
04-10-2014, 11:06 AM
I don't have any children, but I absolutely treat other people's daughters differently from their sonsThat could be read a couple of different ways...

Graystoke
04-10-2014, 11:07 AM

Its the least I can do.

BigMeatballDave
04-10-2014, 11:07 AM

Ah, I see. You like girls with daddy issues.

MahiMike
04-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Any man who says no is a liar

True. My son is my best friend and we do everything together. Mostly because we have everything in common. I love my daughter but we cannot be as close because I hate to shop.

Jimmya
04-10-2014, 11:11 AM
I have 5....treat each one differently.

Deberg_1990
04-10-2014, 11:21 AM

Congrats on never having kids so they rest of us don't have to deal with them.
Posted via Mobile Device

listopencil
04-10-2014, 11:42 AM
I treat them differently but it has nothing to do with gender. Certainly my core expectations remain the same.

^

htismaqe
04-10-2014, 11:47 AM
I don't have any sons but I treat my 2 daughters as individuals.

My wife says I'm too hard on them, though. I definitely don't baby either one of them.

LoneWolf
04-10-2014, 11:50 AM
I think Direckshun was more interested in if anyone treats their children differety when it comes to priveledges and discipline. The segments on Fox dealt with Spring Break. The personalities on Fox almost all said they would have no problem letting their sons go on Spring Break, but that they would refuse to allow their daughters go to any of the traditional party spots for Spring Break. I only have a son, but I would hope that if I had a daughter that by the time she was in college I would feel I had raised her in such a manner I could trust her to go on a Spring Break trip and not do anyhing that would affect the rest of her life.

As far as the day to day dealings with children, I think you have to treat them all differently. Each child is different and require different forms of encouragement, punishment, and motivation. My father was much tougher on me than my sisters and that was because I tested his limits more than they did and I didn't respond to verbal punishment the way they did.

eastonb
04-10-2014, 11:50 AM
I'm way more protective of my daughter than my son

Predarat
04-10-2014, 12:52 PM
gubbment needs to ban spring break.

Rausch
04-10-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm way more protective of my daughter than my son

This, always and forever...

SAUTO
04-10-2014, 12:55 PM

THIS, we are like twins IIRC in the kid dept.

SAUTO
04-10-2014, 12:56 PM
BUT I will say that my youngest daughter is kinda like my son too, she is girly of course but she watches sports with me, we play basketball together, go to car shows, swap meets, etc...

Iowanian
04-10-2014, 12:57 PM
I treat all of my kids the same and differently.

Each kid has different things that make them tick and I wish I had spent the extra money on the manual for each of them. So yes, I guess I treat each of them differently, but it's not really gender driven.

Prison Bitch
04-10-2014, 01:10 PM
True. My son is my best friend and we do everything together. Mostly because we have everything in common. I love my daughter but we cannot be as close because I hate to shop.

The pregnancy issue will never go away as long as humans exist, and that's why every father has to be more protective. I don't have any daughters but there's no way that, viscerally, sex doesn't concern her father moreso regarding his daughter and a boyfriend, than a son. Does any father bury his head in hands when he discovers his teen son is getting laid? I don't know, I'm not there yet, but it would seem like a much lesser crisis than the alternative.

Plus there's the whole domestic abuse threat which is more of a concern with women obviously than men. I assume most fathers are very concerned who their teen daughters are dating relative to who their sons date.

Lex Luthor
04-10-2014, 01:13 PM
I have two sons and a daughter. I treat each of them differently because they are very different people.

I also treat each of them fairly and I love them equally.

Iowanian
04-10-2014, 01:23 PM
I don't know why anyone would be outraged by the responses of fathers regarding spring break.

With a son, you have to worry about 1 pecker.....with girls you worry about all of them.

That said, I'd be willing to do the same amount of time should someone choose to harm any of my kids.

htismaqe
04-10-2014, 01:26 PM
BUT I will say that my youngest daughter is kinda like my son too, she is girly of course but she watches sports with me, we play basketball together, go to car shows, swap meets, etc...

That's my oldest daughter.

My youngest daughter takes "girly" to the extreme.

SAUTO
04-10-2014, 02:05 PM
That's my oldest daughter.

My youngest daughter takes "girly" to the extreme.

Yeah my youngest daughter rolls with daddy just about everywhere, now the little son thinks he should too. daddy's putting his shoes or boots on and the boy is bringing his shoes to get them put on too. no matter what

Prison Bitch
04-10-2014, 02:11 PM
I think the surest sign men treat daughters differently is the reaction of all my friends when they're having children. There's a strong desire for men to have boys. I have two very good friends who had daughters and they told me how lucky I am to have had boys. I replied that I didn't really care (at least I think I didn't) what they were, but they said that was nonsense because I already got them. So who knows.

Katipan
04-10-2014, 02:20 PM
As a mom I know there are plenty of places for my daughter to debase herself without having to go to spring break. A girl doesn't even have to leave her bedroom anymore to have a rabid following of drunken perverts thanks to social media. I'm not going to preemptively punish my kids for something they might do.

"So fathers be good to your daughters, daughters will love like you do."

But she's still going to do what she's going to do. She's like a man in that way.

Fansy the Famous Bard
04-10-2014, 02:29 PM
I most definitely treat them differently. My son I can joke with and have fun with in ways that my 3 girls would not even begin to relate with... The girls I have to treat as if carrying glass eggs full of pure love that cannot be shaken in any way. My son I can give a wedgie, a noogie and tell him to go fart off - he'd love me for it.

The Franchise
04-10-2014, 02:31 PM
I think the surest sign men treat daughters differently is the reaction of all my friends when they're having children. There's a strong desire for men to have boys. I have two very good friends who had daughters and they told me how lucky I am to have had boys. I replied that I didn't really care (at least I think I didn't) what they were, but they said that was nonsense because I already got them. So who knows.

I have three daughters. Did I want a boy? Yeah. But now that my wife and I are done having kids....it's no big deal.

htismaqe
04-10-2014, 03:09 PM

A wise man once told me that boys are hell for the first 10 years and girls are hell for the 2nd ten...

htismaqe
I have three daughters. Did I want a boy? Yeah. But now that my wife and I are done having kids....it's no big deal.

I honestly don't know how I'd handle a boy at this point. I kind of like not having to deal with it...

The Franchise
A wise man once told me that boys are hell for the first 10 years and girls are hell for the 2nd ten...

I've got a 7 year old nephew and I can see that being the truth.

The Franchise
04-10-2014, 03:10 PM
I honestly don't know how I'd handle a boy at this point. I kind of like not having to deal with it...

What's awesome is when the "girl issues" start popping up....I can send them to their mother. And of course....I'll always be #1 because I'm Daddy.

htismaqe
04-10-2014, 03:14 PM
What's awesome is when the "girl issues" start popping up....I can send them to their mother. And of course....I'll always be #1 because I'm Daddy.

Exactly.

htismaqe
04-10-2014, 03:14 PM
I've got a 7 year old nephew and I can see that being the truth.

Yeah, I have 5 nephews from ages 9-14. I can tolerate them for a few hours but after that it's like "sit down, be quiet, and let me watch TV".

keg in kc
04-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I have 5 nephews from ages 9-14. I can tolerate them for a few hours but after that it's like "sit down, be quiet, and let me watch TV".You've just described me in every situation with everyone regardless of age. Just shut up and let me watch tv.

frankotank
04-11-2014, 07:44 AM
I have a son and a daughter. son is high school senior. daughter is college senior. I do/did treat them differently.
my daughter at 18 was a highly intelligent, responsible, driven, motivated workaholic.
my son, now 18, is just like I was at that age.......a highly intelligent, irresponsible, immature, unmotivated, take nothing serious smart ass! he is my clone. LMAO

he's actually pulled a 180 on us this year with college looming and I'm proud of him.

point being.....girls and boys are sooooooo different.

Prison Bitch
04-11-2014, 08:10 AM

I grew up with brothers and sisters and my dad once said that girls were great until age 13. Then he didn't even know them. I saw some of that when my sisters became teenagers. Fortunately I was in college at the time and didn't have to listen to all their bickering and drama. JFC I don't know how dads get through those years with teen girls.

Steron
04-11-2014, 08:56 AM
I have 2 sons. The oldest is 8. He's more emotional than his little brother. The little guy is 6. He's a rock head. Stubborn as the day is long. I HAVE to treat them differently. My wife says I'm too hard on the little guy.

Chief Roundup
04-11-2014, 09:21 AM
In certain ways yes. They are different so they have to be treated different in certain situations and such.