PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Smokers: Buy your Charcoal Now, Get it Cheap!

gblowfish
04-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Hey guys, if you have a bullet smoker, or like to grill over charcoal, Lowe's has a really great deal on Kingsford right now. Go to the link, put in Five as the quantity. For a coupon code, Put in "470000RRRR2997R". Make sure to set it up for customer pick up at the nearest Lowe's store to avoid a delivery charge. I got 200 lbs of charcoal, enough to last me the entire spring and most of summer, for $45.46. That's about .25 cents per pound. And that's dirt cheap. The special ends soon.

http://dealnews.com/200-lbs.-of-Kingsford-Charcoal-for-42-pickup-Lowes-/1027005.html

drakey
04-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the tip, bro ;)

MTG#10
04-13-2014, 02:40 PM
I got in on this yesterday. 200lbs ftmfw

TribalElder
04-13-2014, 03:17 PM
dude that is awesome

TribalElder
04-13-2014, 03:42 PM
can confirm, just picked up 200lbs

Renegade
04-13-2014, 03:56 PM
I got a quantity of 4 for the price you got for 5. Don't know why mine is higher, but still a good deal.

jjchieffan
04-13-2014, 04:10 PM
If you don't need that much, you can get a slightly higher deal. I wasn't aware of this coupon code. I went to Lowes.com. The twin pack of 20lb bags was on sale for $12.99 I pit in quantity 2 and automatically got a 20% discount. I got 80lbs for $22.86 tax included. Store pickup.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-13-2014, 05:13 PM
The lady at the Walmart checkout asked me if I needed charcoal about 3 weeks ago ,said they had it dirt cheap.

cabletech94
04-13-2014, 05:16 PM
even when it's not chefs season, blowfish gets a +1 from this guy. REP

redfan
04-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Awesome deal!! Just bought!! Much rep!!

That is a great price. Now...where to put...

mikeyis4dcats.
04-13-2014, 06:18 PM
if you have an AMEX card go to AMEX's facebook page and sync your card in the OFFERS section, get $10 off 50 as a statement credit (so it stacks)

BTW the code posted above works in as many orders as you want.

gblowfish
04-13-2014, 07:10 PM
I picked mine up tonight from the Lowe's at US 40 and Sterling. Pretty sweet deal. I'm set for grilling season. Now if it would just stop raining....

tboss27
04-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the tip, just ordered mine as well and everything was just as you said.

GloryDayz
04-13-2014, 07:31 PM
You just kicked the global warming fuckers square in the dick hole. Love it!

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2014, 04:38 PM
$45.88 for 200 pounds of charcoal. Would have bought more if I had anywhere to store it.

Thanks George!

houstonwhodat
04-14-2014, 06:03 PM
My next door neighbor is charcoal.

htismaqe
04-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Briquettes?

Who uses briquettes in a smoker? That's fucking gross.

saphojunkie
04-14-2014, 06:09 PM
You just kicked the global warming ****ers square in the dick hole. Love it!

SMH

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Briquettes?

Who uses briquettes in a smoker? That's fucking gross.

Don't use it in a smoker, but certainly do in a Weber Kettle.

I grill 4-5 times a week, so this was a great deal.

TribalElder
04-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Briquettes?

Who uses briquettes in a smoker? That's ****ing gross.

I guess you take this grilling thing serious

http://i.imgur.com/0dGG76b.jpg

Bwana
04-14-2014, 06:43 PM

Same story here with the Weber. I use my smoker more than I do my weber but when I just want to knock out a steak or two, or some fast burgers, out comes the weber. Scored on this deal yesterday, rep left.

htismaqe
04-14-2014, 07:12 PM

Yeah, no problems there...

Dave Lane
04-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Didn't work for me is the deal still good?

gblowfish
04-14-2014, 09:14 PM
I use charcoal to get the fire started before I throw in the wood chunks. What's wrong with that?

Dave: I don't know, the special may have ended yesterday, or maybe Lowe's sold so much charcoal they ended it. Dunno why it didn't work today.

Rasputin
04-14-2014, 09:21 PM
I'd have to drive 70 miles to the closest Lowes. I don't think I can do the math to make it worth it for Charcoal.

htismaqe
04-15-2014, 08:02 AM
I use charcoal to get the fire started before I throw in the wood chunks. What's wrong with that?

Dave: I don't know, the special may have ended yesterday, or maybe Lowe's sold so much charcoal they ended it. Dunno why it didn't work today.

Lump charcoal is a better fire starter and doesn't contain all of the crap that's in briquettes. Even if you're using them as a fire starter, some of that is going to end up in your meat because they burn so long.

GloryDayz
04-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Lump charcoal is a better fire starter and doesn't contain all of the crap that's in briquettes. Even if you're using them as a fire starter, some of that is going to end up in your meat because they burn so long.

While I don't disagree, I can deal with these at this price. Plus, when I discovered that some of the "Cowboy Lump Charcoal" looked oddly similar to scrap 1x2 lumber chunks, I began to wonder about how long it have been since that lump of coal was an actual tree... Then I wondered if the 1x2 had ever been coated.

Not that it's not better, it sure does burn a LOT hotter and usually start better in a chimney, but it's not perfect either.

htismaqe
04-15-2014, 09:27 AM
While I don't disagree, I can deal with these at this price. Plus, when I discovered that some of the "Cowboy Lump Charcoal" looked oddly similar to scrap 1x2 lumber chunks, I began to wonder about how long it have been since that lump of coal was an actual tree... Then I wondered if the 1x2 had ever been coated.

Not that it's not better, it sure does burn a LOT hotter and usually start better in a chimney, but it's not perfect either.

It's not perfect no. But it imparts zero flavor when smoking, something you can't say about briquettes.

Briquettes are great for grilling. Using them in a smoker is just...eeeewwww....

MTG#10
04-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Briquettes?

Who uses briquettes in a smoker? That's ****ing gross.

Ive used Kingsford and wood chunks in my Weber Smoky Mountain for 10 years. I'd love to see you try my ribs and honestly say they're fucking gross.

htismaqe
04-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Ive used Kingsford and wood chunks in my Weber Smoky Mountain for 10 years. I'd love to see you try my ribs and honestly say they're fucking gross.

If you're smoking ribs for 2-3 hours over charcoal briquettes, I'm not trying them...

GloryDayz
04-15-2014, 10:14 AM
It's not perfect no. But it imparts zero flavor when smoking, something you can't say about briquettes.

Briquettes are great for grilling. Using them in a smoker is just...eeeewwww....

Other than starting the firebox, I'm not sure folks use either. Maybe I'm wrong, but when I smoke something, I've used only wood for more than a decade.

So yes, I grill with charcoal, but I don't use hardly any for smoking.

Then again, I've seen many of the lump charcoal group use lighter fluid to start the charcoal, and that in and of itself is total fail I'm told.

htismaqe
04-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Other than starting the firebox, I'm not sure folks use either. Maybe I'm wrong, but when I smoke something, I've used only wood for more than a decade.

Charcoal, briquettes in particular, burn for a very long time. During that time they're releasing both heat and fumes.

Even if you're just starting the firebox with charcoal, you're imparting at least some of the smell of the charcoal onto your meat. When you're grilling, it's quick and desirable. When you're smoking, it can build up a taste profile that's just nasty.

If you're going to use charcoal to start a firebox, lump charcoal actually works better anyway. It lights easier in a chimney and burns hotter, so it lights the surrounding material faster. Anymore, I just put some small wood chunks in a chimney and skip the charcoal altogether.

Then again, I've seen many of the lump charcoal group use lighter fluid to start the charcoal, and that in and of itself is total fail I'm told.

Yeah, forget what I just said. Using briquettes is fine compared to using LIGHTER FLUID IN A SMOKER.

MTG#10
04-15-2014, 10:20 AM
If you're smoking ribs for 2-3 hours over charcoal briquettes, I'm not trying them...Well then you'd be missing out on some amazing ribs. The WSM puts out great meat and a lot of people use them and have won with them at BBQ competitions. Kingsford lit in a chimney starter until covered with white ash, then throw your wood on top of it after the charcoal stops smoking.

htismaqe
04-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Well then you'd be missing out on some amazing ribs. The WSM puts out great meat and a lot of people use them and have won with them at BBQ competitions. Kingsford lit in a chimney starter until covered with white ash, then throw your wood on top of it after the charcoal stops smoking.

I was messing with you dude. I'm sure you put out some good ribs.

Doesn't change the fact that I'd never use Kingsford in a smoker. On top of the flavor it imparts, there's a lot of evidence that it's not very good for you...

Toadkiller
04-15-2014, 10:37 AM
On top of the flavor it imparts, there's a lot of evidence that it's not very good for you...

Source of the evidence it is bad for you? I mean I know breathing in smoke is bad, but what kind of chemicals that are different from lump.

htismaqe
04-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Source of the evidence it is bad for you? I mean I know breathing in smoke is bad, but what kind of chemicals that are different from lump.

Lump charcoal, if you're buying a reputable brand, contains 100% pre-burnt wood.

Charcoal briquettes are mainly made from sawdust but a lot of brands may also contain coal dust, starch, caking agents, limestone, borax, or who knows what else.

Toadkiller
04-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Yeah but you said there is a lot of evidence it was bad for you. Just wondering where it was so I could read it.

Deberg_1990
04-15-2014, 10:55 AM
I was messing with you dude. I'm sure you put out some good ribs.

Doesn't change the fact that I'd never use Kingsford in a smoker. On top of the flavor it imparts, there's a lot of evidence that it's not very good for you...

Everything is bad for you!!!!!!

/Dr. Oz

htismaqe
04-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Yeah but you said there is a lot of evidence it was bad for you. Just wondering where it was so I could read it.

Just Google it.

You'll also find a lot of information that cooking directly over charcoal of any kind (as opposed to indirect cooking like smoking) creates cancer-causing chemicals on the meat.

And you'll find a lot of link to places stating that burning charcoal of any kind creates air pollution.

For me, it's a personal preference. I don't like to eat breakfast cereal or white bread, and for the same reason, I prefer not to use charcoal briquettes.

Toadkiller
04-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Just Google it.

Yeah I did, couldnt find anything so was asking where you found all the information. I found this:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_charcoal.html

All briquettes and lump charcoal originate as scrap lumber.

And dude all wood smoke is a carcinogen. Doesnt matter if it is indirect or direct smoke is smoke.

I understand it is a personal preference and I have used both. I jsut take issue with you saying" there's a lot of evidence that it's not very good for you" and when asked for the evidence you said go to google.

Breathing in smoke from anything is bad for you, but no evidence that the briquettes are any different from lump or any other charcoal.

Now if you want to talk the self igniting kind that may be a different story but we werent, the sale is on just the plain briquettes.

htismaqe
04-15-2014, 11:26 AM
All briquettes and lump charcoal originate as scrap lumber.

How do you suppose they actually form charcoal briquettes? It may originate as scrap lumber but only lump charcoal FINISHES as scrap lumber, without any additives.

There's plenty of evidence that breathing and/or consuming the byproducts of burning coal, tar, and other things they add to briquettes is worse for you than just breathing the smoke from wood.

I suppose I can go out and prove it to you, even though it's pretty much common sense...

gblowfish
04-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Everything you could possibly want to know about charcoal is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal

KCUnited
04-15-2014, 11:50 AM
I like to go sugar-free on my sauces and rubs for optimum bbq safety.

GloryDayz
04-15-2014, 02:14 PM
I like to go sugar-free on my sauces and rubs for optimum bbq safety.

Better...

http://www.briligg.com/images/solar2.jpg

htismaqe
04-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Better...

ROFL

redfan
04-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Better...

When did Tim Floyd grow tits? Nice rack there, Timmy.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Does anyone know if this deal is still on? It's saying $75.28 when I try to check out.

TribalElder
04-15-2014, 05:04 PM
I think they shut it down. A few of us who are non purists will be enjoying 200 lbs of kings ford goodness

The anti 25cent briquettes is on some KCBS lol

Mama Hip Rockets
04-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Dangit.

TribalElder
05-30-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm currently starting up some of this super sale charcoal for an evening bratwurst feast

Thanks again!

GloryDayz
05-30-2014, 06:03 PM
I'm currently starting up some of this super sale charcoal for an evening bratwurst feast

Thanks again!

From an email today. Just in case you've never done them this way.. No clue if this makes them any better.

How to cook brats WISCONSIN style. 5-13-2011 GK

1 DO NOT pre-boil brats. That ruins them by cooking all the fat out.
2 Thaw brats before grilling if they are frozen
3 Grill them so there’s a nice even browned char all around all the edges, rotating spinning etc. Do not use a fork and do not puncture them. if they sputter, or if they start a grease fire, back them off the heat
4 When grilled nicely, put in saucepan or crockpot and simmer for another hour. DO NOT BOIL.
5 In the saucepan goes:
- a couple beers. Killian’s Red or Leinenkugel’s Red is excellent for this. Any full bodied medium beer works well. (usually I put 1 beer in and drink the other)
- a couple large onions, cut into 3 inch by half inch strips or rings
- a couple peppers, cut into 3 inch by half inch strips
- several cloves of garlic, halved or whole
- add some water too if more liquid is needed to get the brats covered
6. Eat. Put brat on bun, top with a bunch of the onion/pepper mix, add condiments as desired.