PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Thoughts on Santonio Holmes?

SeeingRed
04-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Just throwing it out there. He is only 30 years old, has proven he can be a money receiver on the NFL's greatest stage winning the Superbowl with 2 HUGE catches in final minute of game (with maybe the greatest catch in Superbowl history to win the game). Was pretty damn good with Jets until he got injured with a very mediocre QB. Since we may go OG in 1st rd is Holmes worth a look as our only big free agency signing if he can be gotten at a decent value? Thoughts? :hmmm:

ct
04-17-2014, 08:31 AM
i think no

Sandy Vagina
04-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Talented, but would probably only manage to bring toxicity to the team... pass.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-17-2014, 08:33 AM
I do remember people crying when we didn't trade for him....yeah the Steelers know when to get rid of guys.

GloryDayz
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz7_vIuhTZCozUSyQE93ZUrhAlIJE8S3Y-zKF0Fuu8v5o9jDXmSA

Simply Red
he brings nothing beyond MAYBE this season. I say no, here.

SeeingRed
04-17-2014, 08:34 AM
i think no

I doubt it too since Dorsey is committed to building thru the draft but being that we maybe cant grab a WR until the 3rd rd to spend a few million for a one year deal on a guy who could be a potential impact player might not be such a bad idea. If healthy Holmes is a PROVEN big game NFL talent....will we get that in the 3rd round? maybe, maybe not

jspchief
04-17-2014, 08:40 AM
Fuck no

SeeingRed
04-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Keep in mind the last time he played with a quality QB he won a Superbowl. After that he helped bring a rookie QB to 2 straight AFC Championship games. He is a Diva BUT I can see how a great WR would get frustrated going from winning a Superbowl and then getting traded to a run happy team with Mark Sanchez as the QB and no #2 (besides Braylon Edwards that one year) opposite him. Alex Smith at QB and Dwayne Bowe opposite him would be a good opportunity for the 30 year old WR. IF he is 100% healthy and recovered from his foot thing (which was 2 years ago) this might be a sleeper pick up. Just saying. People are very down on him but he is very talented

Perineum Ripper
04-17-2014, 08:50 AM
If they could bring him in on a 1 year deal for the league minimum I say sure..but if he starts giving you trouble cut his ass and send him packing

planetdoc
04-17-2014, 08:55 AM

yup. Reid likes to spread the ball around, and Holmes will quickly get frustrated and demand the ball. That being said, he would be great in this offense.

Jimmya
04-17-2014, 09:09 AM
I would be OK with a 1 year deal.

htismaqe
04-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Right now, everybody is pinning their hopes on drafting a WR.

What happens if, like SeeingRed says, they don't?

Are we really content going into the season with Bowe, Avery, Jenkins, and Hemmingway?

Sandy Vagina
04-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Keep in mind the last time he played with a quality QB he won a Superbowl. After that he helped bring a rookie QB to 2 straight AFC Championship games. He is a Diva BUT I can see how a great WR would get frustrated going from winning a Superbowl and then getting traded to a run happy team with Mark Sanchez as the QB and no #2 (besides Braylon Edwards that one year) opposite him. Alex Smith at QB and Dwayne Bowe opposite him would be a good opportunity for the 30 year old WR. IF he is 100% healthy and recovered from his foot thing (which was 2 years ago) this might be a sleeper pick up. Just saying. People are very down on him but he is very talented

You do make some fine points. All I can say is that if Reid sits him down and feels he can get the best of him (mental and production).. then oookay. I would give it a chance before shitting all over the move.

Dave Lane
04-17-2014, 09:33 AM
It's really a kind of scenario of who gives a shit if they sign him at a low price fine, if they don't sign him who gives a damn?

The Franchise
04-17-2014, 09:44 AM

Are we really content going into the season with Bowe, Avery, Jenkins, and Hemmingway?

Then you offer him a contract after the draft.

Coochie liquor
04-17-2014, 10:10 AM

As well as our offense played in the second half of the season I'd be ok with those as our receivers so we can go defense and o line. Our defense killed us from about 1/3 of the season on. If we were gonna spend money in an offensive player not on the line id like to see us pick up a TE. Just my opinion though.

temper11
04-17-2014, 10:36 AM

This. I do hate bringing in locker room cancers though. Especially when the team seems to be building good chemistry. How big of a diva is he?

temper11
04-17-2014, 10:39 AM

Hey... and don't forget about Dressler! :) I'm still holding out hope he turns into the sleeper steal of the decade. I'm an optimist... what can I say.

temper11
04-17-2014, 10:41 AM
As well as our offense played in the second half of the season I'd be ok with those as our receivers so we can go defense and o line. Our defense killed us from about 1/3 of the season on. If we were gonna spend money in an offensive player not on the line id like to see us pick up a TE. Just my opinion though.

Do we not think Kelce is any good? I don't know anything about him, but he was supposed to be our #1 last year wasn't he before he got hurt?

Chiefnj2
04-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Rumored he was a big problem on the Jets leaking dirty laundry to the media.

htismaqe
04-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Dexter McCluster caught 28 of his 53 catches in the 7 games after the bye week.

Hemmingway and Jenkins had 16 catches COMBINED.

We lost a guy that was a BIG part of that 2nd half offensive surge.

htismaqe
04-17-2014, 11:17 AM
You do make some fine points. All I can say is that if Reid sits him down and feels he can get the best of him (mental and production).. then oookay. I would give it a chance before shitting all over the move.

This.

If Andy Reid thinks he can handle him, there's ZERO reason to pass on Holmes.

Iconic
04-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Miles Austin will be a Chief soon.

TEX
04-17-2014, 12:07 PM

How dare you use facts to describe Dex's contributions to the offense. Haven't you heard that he will not be missed? :rolleyes:

Rausch
04-17-2014, 12:08 PM
How dare you use facts to describe Dex's contributions to the offense. Haven't you heard that he will not be missed? :rolleyes:

He won't.

htismaqe
He won't.

He will be if we don't sign anybody. Jenkins and Hemmingway are garbage.

TEX
He won't.

ROFL

TheNoob
04-17-2014, 12:27 PM
I would take a flyer on either holmes or Sidney Rice. That would help fill a void so we can take care of other needs. With the recents draft success of WR I dont a WR in 1st round is a for sure thing imo.

bevischief
04-17-2014, 12:31 PM

This.

Coochie liquor
04-17-2014, 12:37 PM

Good point. We will miss Dexter but I think we can find someone comparable for a decent price that isn't Holmes. I could be wrong about the guy but don't think he'd be good for our team.

saphojunkie
04-17-2014, 12:47 PM
OH DEAR ME HOW WILL WE EVER REPLACE FOUR CATCHES A GAME FROM THE SLOT.

TheNoob
04-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Ya I think we can find a WR to replace his production in the 3rd imo. I think im all for trading down for 2 2nd rounders and a 3rd. That way we can fix 4 holes instead of 1

htismaqe
04-17-2014, 01:07 PM
OH DEAR ME HOW WILL WE EVER REPLACE FOUR CATCHES A GAME FROM THE SLOT.

Certainly not with AJ Jenkins or Hemmingway. They couldn't even get on the field most of the time. What's that say about them when Dexter McCluster is the 3rd-leading WR on the team?

TheNoob
04-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Dexter had to be the Slowest quickest guy I ever seen. He was the king of 1 armed tackles

MahiMike
04-17-2014, 01:29 PM
He's only 30? Seems like he's been around forever.

milkman
04-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Hey... and don't forget about Dressler! :) I'm still holding out hope he turns into the sleeper steal of the decade. I'm an optimist... what can I say.

Will you be looking for the eggs the Easter bunny left for you on Sunday.

Deberg_1990
04-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Broken wiener
Posted via Mobile Device

TRR
04-17-2014, 04:36 PM

Speculation or do you have information?

Austin would be my pick over Holmes or Sidney Rice.
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
04-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Not sure why anyone would be excited over Miles Austin.

People here have bitched about how "slow" Bowe is - Austin makes Bowe look like a track star.

Easy 6
04-17-2014, 04:43 PM

I'd rather have him than Holmes.

TRR
04-17-2014, 04:44 PM

People here have bitched about how "slow" Bowe is - Austin makes Bowe look like a track star.

Agree and disagree. He isn't a burner but is crafty in his route running and has always been dangerous after the catch. Good hands as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheNoob
04-17-2014, 04:52 PM
I would like Sidney Rice to go along with dwayne bowe for that extra blocking and then drafting Ebron if he falls

htismaqe
04-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Will you be looking for the eggs the Easter bunny left for you on Sunday.

ROFL

Iconic
04-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Speculation or do you have information?

Austin would be my pick over Holmes or Sidney Rice.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's more of a pipe dream than anything else... I like Austin and want him here, but I don't see Dorsey pulling any triggers until after the draft.

Iconic
04-17-2014, 07:21 PM

His 40 time is actually better than both McCluster and Bowe's... I'm not saying he's fast but he's a solid route runner with reliable hands.

DTLB58
04-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Lyle Graversen ‏@LyleGraversen 5m

I still say KC should sign Santonio Holmes to a 1 yr prove it deal and wait to draft a WR until rd 3-4 where there will be value.

Jimmya
04-18-2014, 10:52 AM
One year deal would be great.

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Lyle Graversen ‏@LyleGraversen 5m

I still say KC should sign Santonio Holmes to a 1 yr prove it deal and wait to draft a WR until rd 3-4 where there will be value.

This.

We can take a defender in the 1st...

OldSchool
04-18-2014, 11:11 AM

I feel like they're betting too much on "promising players": A.J. Jenkins, Watkins/Johnson/Kush, Eric Fisher, Travis Kelce, Sanders Commings, Mike Catapano, and the further development of Marcus Cooper.

Signing a capable vet like Chris Clemons would have gone a long way towards making me feel better about the team, but it's actually kind of scary thinking about this.

We're going to be in deep shit if either Alex Smith, Justin Houston/Tamba Hali, Eric Fisher/Donald Stephenson, Derrick Johnson, Sean Smith, Eric Berry, Dontari Poe, or Jamaal Charles gets injured with the schedule that we have next year. Our depth at those positions is nowhere near good enough to make up for the lost starter at this point.

Bowser
04-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Maybe it's the homer in me, but I'd throw a cheap two year deal at Danario Alexander. He'd likely be on PUP or even IR the first year, but when this kid is healthy, he just flat produces. It's a shame his knees are apparently made of porcelain.

As for Santonio, I say meh. Five years ago is another story. That goes for Sidney Rice and Miles Austin, as well. The thing our guys currently on the roster have over those guys is that they know the system and are not especially worse than the FA's out there, especially considering our guys' age.

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 11:14 AM
I feel like they're betting too much on "promising players": A.J. Jenkins, Watkins/Johnson/Kush, Eric Fisher, Travis Kelce, Sanders Commings, Mike Catapano, and the further development of Marcus Cooper.

Signing a capable vet like Chris Clemons would have gone a long way towards making me feel better about the team, but it's actually kind of scary thinking about this.

We're going to be in deep shit if either Alex Smith, Justin Houston/Tamba Hali, Eric Fisher/Donald Stephenson, Derrick Johnson, Sean Smith, Eric Berry, Dontari Poe, or Jamaal Charles gets injured with the schedule that we have next year. Our depth at those positions is nowhere near good enough to make up for the lost starter at this point.

ABSOLUTELY agree with you.

You can't go into a season depending on young players EVERYWHERE. It leads to 2-win seasons.

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Maybe it's the homer in me, but I'd throw a cheap two year deal at Danario Alexander. He'd likely be on PUP or even IR the first year, but when this kid is healthy, he just flat produces. It's a shame his knees are apparently made of porcelain.

As for Santonio, I say meh. Five years ago is another story. That goes for Sidney Rice and Miles Austin, as well. The thing our guys currently on the roster have over those guys is that they know the system and are not especially worse than the FA's out there, especially considering our guys' age.

Santonio Holmes and Miles Austin are way better than Jenkins and Hemmingway. In Hemminway's case, he has multiple years in the system and Alex Smith STILL has to tell him where to line up at times.

Bowser
04-18-2014, 11:17 AM
I would take a flyer on either holmes or Sidney Rice. That would help fill a void so we can take care of other needs. With the recents draft success of WR I dont a WR in 1st round is a for sure thing imo.

Santonio Holmes and Miles Austin are way better than Jenkins and Hemmingway. In Hemminway's case, he has multiple years in the system and Alex Smith STILL has to tell him where to line up at times.

Point. I saw Alex doing that with him against the Broncos, and that was relatively late in the season.

I wouldn't hate a Holmes, Rice or Austin acquisition, it just wouldn't blow my skirt up, nor convince me we shouldn't take a WR at 23.

ct
04-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Santonio got paid and he's been awol since, why are we still talking about this guy? He's done, doesn't care, forget about him.

salame
04-18-2014, 11:20 AM
he'd be the best receiver on the Chiefs

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Point. I saw Alex doing that with him against the Broncos, and that was relatively late in the season.

I wouldn't hate a Holmes, Rice or Austin acquisition, it just wouldn't blow my skirt up, nor convince me we shouldn't take a WR at 23.

At this point, we really NEED to take a WR at 23 if we have any hope of upgrading the position this coming season. I would prefer to see that pick spent on a pass rusher or DB.

Acquiring one of those three would give them flexibility in the draft, which they really need, especially considering they lack a 2nd round pick.

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Santonio got paid and he's been awol since, why are we still talking about this guy? He's done, doesn't care, forget about him.

Well, that's one thing Hemmingway and Jenkins have on him.

It's hard to ever be "done" if you never BEGAN.

BeeHo
04-18-2014, 11:32 AM
get holmes on the cheap cheap. make him prove again he's a good receiver. hopefully he'll mature like randy moss did when SF game him a year.

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 11:33 AM
We gave Cheap Shot Joe Mays $3M.

Santonio Holmes is ABSOLUTELY worth more of a shot than Joe fucking Mays.

Chiefnj2
04-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Rex might be the biggest players coach in the NFL and he couldn't deal with Holmes. Pass.

el borracho
04-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Alex Smith doesn't need WRs; Alex Smith needs RBs and, more importantly, a top ten defense. Since the Chiefs already have the RB, they should dedicate the majority of their remaining resources to the defense.

OldSchool
04-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Alex Smith doesn't need WRs; Alex Smith needs RBs and, more importantly, a top ten defense. Since the Chiefs already have the RB, they should dedicate the majority of their remaining resources to the defense.

Or maybe just a defense that can hold a 28 point lead for a half?

BigMeatballDave
04-18-2014, 12:04 PM

He didn't need Jamaal Charles vs the Colts.

BigMeatballDave
04-18-2014, 12:05 PM
We gave Cheap Shot Joe Mays $3M.

Santonio Holmes is ABSOLUTELY worth more of a shot than Joe fucking Mays.

Yep

el borracho
04-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Would you like to build your case on 1 game or would you like to look at the nine year career?

Mr. Laz
04-18-2014, 12:07 PM
This

As much as we need playmakers on offense, just don't think he is the guy we need.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2014, 12:15 PM
We can't say this yet.

It's a myth that Smith won't throw to WRs. It's also a myth that he won't throw deep. Alex Smith did both for the Chiefs last year and will do more if we actually have better weapons for him to use.

We have 1 legit impact playmaker on offense ... Charles.

Reid/Smith did a fine job of running a WC offense without a stud TE and with limited options at WR.

Alex Smith may avoid high-risk throwing windows but if WR's get open he will throw them the ball.

Agree about having a defense that doesn't suck ass helping though

Still have major doubts about Sutton and our secondary coaches though.

TRR
04-18-2014, 01:45 PM

Did I miss something here? How does Hemmingway have multiple years in Reid's offense?
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
04-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Did I miss something here? How does Hemmingway have multiple years in Reid's offense?
Posted via Mobile Device

West Coast.

O.city
04-18-2014, 02:37 PM
West Coast.

Do they run that at Michigan?

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Pro system, not Reid's system.

Dude doesn't know basic terminology in some cases.

keg in kc
04-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Do they run that at Michigan?No, they ran Rich Rodiguez's version of the spread option while he was in college, at least until Brady Hoke took over in 2011, and there wasn't a lot of change that year. I'd probably say his role was more run blocking than route-running or pass catching for most of his career.

Coochie liquor
04-18-2014, 04:45 PM
At this point, we really NEED to take a WR at 23 if we have any hope of upgrading the position this coming season. I would prefer to see that pick spent on a pass rusher or DB.

Acquiring one of those three would give them flexibility in the draft, which they really need, especially considering they lack a 2nd round pick.

I'd be willing to bet at least 2 of those receivers are able to be pocke up after the draft. No sense in signing them now when their price will likely drop some after the draft and we see who we end up with.

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 05:23 PM
I'd be willing to bet at least 2 of those receivers are able to be pocke up after the draft. No sense in signing them now when their price will likely drop some after the draft and we see who we end up with.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that. There's gonna be some pretty pissed off people in Chiefs Kingdom though if the Chiefs wait and don't draft a WR...

Easy 6
04-18-2014, 05:32 PM

Realizing that we might need another guy and that out of whats left he's probably the best option, doesn't qualify as "excited".

But if used sparingly to keep that glass hamstring of his healthy, he could certainly provide quality minutes.

FloridaMan88
04-18-2014, 05:49 PM

You are speaking blasphemy in the minds of drafturbators… the draft is magically going to cure all of the Chiefs many many many many needs… so says the zombie-like drafturbators.

Attempting to fill any need via free agency is a human rights violation.

58-4ever
04-18-2014, 06:07 PM
HUGE cock.

ChiTown
04-18-2014, 06:16 PM

I honestly believe that and some rookie we draft will be the group we trot out.

OnTheWarpath15
04-18-2014, 06:16 PM
I honestly believe that and some rookie we draft will be the group we trot out.

Truth.

Easy 6
04-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Just realized we're still like 3 weeks away from the draft.

Mother. ****er... this has EASILY been the longest offseason since I've been a fan.

The lack of any real news during free agency has DEFINITELY contributed to my delirium tremens.

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 06:45 PM
I honestly believe that and some rookie we draft in the 6th round will be the group we trot out.

FYP

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 06:46 PM

Mother. ****er... this has EASILY been the longest offseason since I've been a fan.

The lack of any real news during free agency has DEFINITELY contributed to my delirium tremens.

Well, thank Goodell.

In any normal year, the draft would have been next weekend.

SAUTO
04-18-2014, 06:50 PM

I'm with you here. This shit sucks
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6
04-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Well, thank Goodell.

In any normal year, the draft would have been next weekend.

I'm with you here. This shit sucks
Posted via Mobile Device

Going from the exciting whirlwind that was 2013 straight into a total information/news/things to talk about BLACK HOLE... really has been maddening... it truly is the most boring offseason I can remember.

THANKS GOODELL.

SAUTO
04-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Going from the exciting whirlwind that was 2013 straight into a total information/news/things to talk about... really has been maddening... it truly is the most boring offseason I can remember.

THANKS GOODELL.

Yep. No real news. No free agency, no big rumors.

Sucks all around
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6
04-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Yep. No real news. No free agency, no big rumors.

Sucks all around
Posted via Mobile Device

I mean, just gimme a Pat Surtain rumor, that's all I'm asking...

SAUTO
04-18-2014, 07:26 PM
I mean, just gimme a Pat Surtain rumor, that's all I'm asking...

I would be happy with ty law.
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6
04-18-2014, 07:31 PM
I would be happy with ty law.
Posted via Mobile Device

My niece, who used to screw Chris Mortensens wifes second cousin says that she heard we MIGHT be in play to re-sign Mike Brown...

:rockon:

SAUTO
04-18-2014, 07:35 PM
My niece, who used to screw Chris Mortensens wifes second cousin says that she heard we MIGHT be in play to re-sign Mike Brown...

:rockon:
I will come find you and kick you in the dick if that happens.
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Paging Hugh Douglas. Hugh Douglas, please report to the Chiefsplanet Lounge.

BigMeatballDave
04-18-2014, 08:09 PM

Horrible decision by the league to move it to May.

The worst decision, by far, is having the 1st round moved to Thursday.

I really miss the draft being on Saturday and Sunday.

Easy 6
04-19-2014, 02:24 PM

Absolutely... "Hey I've got a great idea to grow the sports popularity, lets hold one of its biggest events when everyones at work!"

Deberg_1990
04-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Horrible decision by the league to move it to May.

I do too, but the ratings say otherwise. More people watch primetime than Saturday and Sunday mornings
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe
04-19-2014, 06:47 PM
I do too, but the ratings say otherwise. More people watch primetime than Saturday and Sunday mornings
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely.

But with the way it's split up, it's almost impossible to have a real "draft party" anymore. They've increased viewership at the expense of the "hardcore" fan.

That's the way the NFL wants it though. More exposure, more countries, more casual fans. Widen the experience rather than deepen it.