PDA

View Full Version : Misc Do you use the Yellow Pages?

Stewie
04-17-2014, 03:56 PM
I just received my latest YP massive phone books (as in two books!) today. They went directly in the recycle bin.

Even the coupons in the back suck ass. Need septic work? YP is your place! Need transmission work? YP is your place!

What a waste of paper and money.

Vent over.

TimBone
04-17-2014, 03:57 PM
I think the same things everytime I get mine in the mail.

BigMeatballDave
04-17-2014, 04:00 PM
It's nice that they keep printing out a portion of the Internet for us.

Just Passin' By
04-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Yes

Mr. Laz
04-17-2014, 04:12 PM
only use it if the internet connection is down

ghak99
04-17-2014, 04:13 PM
I don't know the last time I used a paper phone book of any kind.

R8RFAN
04-17-2014, 04:20 PM
By the time you get that book they already have their money for the advertising so they don't care if you recycle it... Plenty of old people still use a phone book of some kind but it does not look like it will be around for more than 10 more years....

R8RFAN
04-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Shit, remember when a phone booth or pay phone was on every corner? Damn near impossible here to find a pay phone now.

BigMeatballDave
04-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Shit, remember when a phone booth or pay phone was on every corner? Damn near impossible here to find a pay phone now.

I laugh when I see payphones.

R8RFAN
04-17-2014, 04:25 PM
I laugh when I see payphones.

I remember in the 80's and early 90's delivering and picking up in the city and having to use the phone at customers docks... Hell when I started we were radio dispatched, no AC and no Power Steering ... Times have changed

keg in kc
04-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Very, very rarely. Probably the most likely scenario is my cable going down and looking for the number for Time Warner since I can't access the 'net.

SLAG
04-17-2014, 04:31 PM
I did the same thing last week - 3 damn phone books in my yard - straight to the blue bin

Deberg_1990
04-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Yes I do!

Signed 1991
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
04-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Camp fire kindling....

R8RFAN
04-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Camp fire kindling....

Best camp fire starter ever...

Vaseline on Cotton balls

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2qq5ptJA2sY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish
04-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Raider fans aways take Vaseline camping huh?

R8RFAN
04-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Raider fans aways take Vaseline camping huh?

Yes, makes it easier to stick in your ass... Less whining too :D

Rain Man
04-17-2014, 07:00 PM
I use the Yellow Pages all the time when I need to find a photo finishing place, a newspaper, or a small appliance repairman.

Aries Walker
04-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Best camp fire starter ever...

Vaseline on Cotton balls
Also, try dryer lint. Just as flamey, but with no preparation needed except to scrape it out of your drier filter thing.

And as for the main thread question, no, of course not. They still make those things?

J Diddy
04-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Also, try dryer lint. Just as flamey, but with no preparation needed except to scrape it out of your drier filter thing.

And as for the main thread question, no, of course not. They still make those things?

Drier lint, never thought of that. Brilliant.

About the books, they're good for at least a broken freaking toe a year. Bastards always leave them right out in the middle of the front door.

Rain Man
04-17-2014, 07:12 PM

Why would you burn dryer lint? You can make clothes out of it.

Aries Walker
04-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Just don't wear those clothes too near the campfire.

Rain Man
04-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Just don't wear those clothes too near the campfire.

Admittedly, that's a weakness.

Aries Walker
04-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Yeah, if I'm ever on Survivor, I'm going wear the biggest, poofiest sweater I can find to the tropical island. Then I'll soak it in the ocean, dry it from a fluttering palm tree, scrape off all the fuzzies, and light a fire with them on night one.

Hello, million dollars.

Rain Man
04-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Yeah, if I'm ever on Survivor, I'm going wear the biggest, poofiest sweater I can find to the tropical island. Then I'll soak it in the ocean, dry it from a fluttering palm tree, scrape off all the fuzzies, and light a fire with them on night one.

Hello, million dollars.

And shoelaces made of fishing line. I think you're onto something.

BWillie
04-17-2014, 07:25 PM
This is what I did with mine. Thought about calling the city and reporting YP for littering

http://oi59.tinypic.com/b4xgys.jpg

J Diddy
04-17-2014, 07:27 PM
And shoelaces made of fishing line. I think you're onto something.

Don't forget the belts where the buckles are knives.

digger
04-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Free fire starter...

AndChiefs
04-17-2014, 09:13 PM
What are the "Yellow Pages"?

alpha_omega
04-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Every now and then. White pages too.

Mrs. Loopner
04-17-2014, 09:50 PM
YP it's the new TP

cosmo20002
04-17-2014, 09:52 PM

About the books, they're good for at least a broken freaking toe a year. Bastards always leave them right out in the middle of the front door.

Is that what happened to you?
I was afraid your foot condition was genetic and you might pass it you your kids.

cosmo20002
04-17-2014, 10:03 PM
They used to be required by law to print and deliver white pages, and for years the old people lobby fought to keep it that way. They finally dropped that requirement so in most places you can only get a white pages if you request one.

aturnis
04-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Just got a new copy a few weeks ago. Mine went straight into the recycle bin too.

houstonwhodat
04-18-2014, 07:54 AM

I know.

How in the hell are we supposed to make an anonymous drug deal?

notorious
04-18-2014, 08:02 AM
I spend about 3K a year on advertising in the area YP here, but more and more often my customers tell me they found me on the internet.

It's almost time to hire a company to push my name to the top of the list on search engines. Does any one have any input on this process, and does it work?

blake5676
04-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Every year I tell myself I'm going to stop paying to be listed in the YP and consequently, I end up forking over the dough and staying in it. Mostly because I get sold on the idea that there's still a lot of people who don't like the internet and still go old school.

This thread isn't making me feel any better about my decision though!

blake5676
04-18-2014, 08:04 AM
I spend about 3K a year on advertising in the area YP here, but more and more often my customers tell me they found me on the internet.

It's almost time to hire a company to push my name to the top of the list on search engines. Does any one have any input on this process, and does it work?

Hahaha...we pretty much posted the same dilemma at the same time. I can't remember the last time I had someone come in or call that told me they found me in the yellow pages. And I'm pretty sure the $$ I "waste" with YP could go a decent way in improving my online presence.

notorious
04-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Hahaha...we pretty much posted the same dilemma at the same time. I can't remember the last time I had someone come in or call that told me they found me in the yellow pages. And I'm pretty sure the $$ I "waste" with YP could go a decent way in improving my online presence.

My business deals with 35+ year old people since they have the money to afford what I offer. They still use the book every once in a while.

My YP rep keeps pushing their webpage on me. I keep telling him that nobody uses YP.com to look up a phone number, it's 75% Google and 25% Yahoo.

I feel bad for them since it is a dying business, but shit happens.

BeeHo
04-18-2014, 08:13 AM
if i run out of the regular toilet paper, yes

ChiliConCarnage
04-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Very, very rarely. Probably the most likely scenario is my cable going down and looking for the number for Time Warner since I can't access the 'net.

Last time my cable went out I pulled my phone out of my pocket and googled the number. I imagine YP is headed the way of the TV guide. It kind of amazes me their still going really.. they must be hanging on based on the very elderly

scho63
04-18-2014, 09:07 AM
It's nice that they keep printing out a portion of the Internet for us.

THIS x 10

Not only that, the yellow pages are delivered in the morning and everyone throws them in the recycle bin in the evening when they return home from work.

Haven't seen anyone use the yellow pages in over 10 years except someone in our office uses 10 of them stacked under his computer screen because he stands while he works.

Rain Man
04-18-2014, 09:27 AM
They used to be required by law to print and deliver white pages, and for years the old people lobby fought to keep it that way. They finally dropped that requirement so in most places you can only get a white pages if you request one.

I suspect that's back when the phone service was a monopoly. Ah, those were the days, back when you couldn't own a telephone and they charged you a rental fee every month for each phone in your house.

Rain Man
04-18-2014, 09:28 AM

As your official market research and strategy firm, I would advise you to divert that money to online advertising or some form of direct mail.

vailpass
04-18-2014, 09:39 AM

SEO and SEM certainly works. I believe there is an expert here on CP?

Fairplay
04-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Got ours yesterday and had the same conversation, do we even use these and why do we keep them around.

J Diddy
04-18-2014, 10:18 AM
My business deals with 35+ year old people since they have the money to afford what I offer. They still use the book every once in a while.

My YP rep keeps pushing their webpage on me. I keep telling him that nobody uses YP.com to look up a phone number, it's 75% Google and 25% Yahoo.

I feel bad for them since it is a dying business, but shit happens.

All businesses have the opportunity to adjust to growing technology. Being too caught up in a static business model is a guaranteed method of death. Just look at blockbuster.

Eleazar
04-18-2014, 10:20 AM
I feel the same way about direct mail / circulars. Who buys those? I don't even glance at them, they go straight in the garbage.

J Diddy
04-18-2014, 10:30 AM
I feel the same way about direct mail / circulars. Who buys those? I don't even glance at them, they go straight in the garbage.

When I first started the pizza biz 90% of our advertising was through those circulars and yellow pages. Eventually those became less effective and more costly so we ceased advertising with them. About that time the post office actually made it affordable to mail post cards direct if you didn't mind doing the leg work with a much higher ROI. Combined with a strong web presence sales increased exponentially.

notorious
04-18-2014, 10:31 AM
All businesses have the opportunity to adjust to growing technology. Being too caught up in a static business model is a guaranteed method of death. Just look at blockbuster.

This was the first business I thought of.

notorious
04-18-2014, 10:34 AM
As your official market research and strategy firm, I would advise you to divert that money to online advertising or some form of direct mail.

SEO and SEM certainly works. I believe there is an expert here on CP?

:hmmm:

This person needs to PM me ASAP.

Milkman, I will expect your invoice soon. Payment will be sent within 60-90 days of receipt.

J Diddy
04-18-2014, 10:34 AM
This was the first business I thought of.

I think one of the reasons that Blockbuster jumps at you is because they were giants in the day. A Blockbuster night meant renting a movie...they had the market cornered. I've never seen a situation where a company who has that much of a stranglehold on an entire market fall into nothingness as quickly as they did.

Eleazar
04-18-2014, 10:35 AM
When I first started the pizza biz 90% of our advertising was through those circulars and yellow pages. Eventually those became less effective and more costly so we ceased advertising with them. About that time the post office actually made it affordable to mail post cards direct if you didn't mind doing the leg work with a much higher ROI. Combined with a strong web presence sales increased exponentially.

Yeah, I guess I'd be more likely to look at a card that says "Here's a pizza coupon" rather than those BS circulars I throw away instantly. I would probably toss it too, but I might at least look and see how good the deal is.

notorious
04-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I guess I'd be more likely to look at a card that says "Here's a pizza coupon" rather than those BS circulars I throw away instantly. I would probably toss it too, but I might at least look and see how good the deal is.

They are getting better at fooling people. I have been getting "Hand Written" envelopes from BetUs for the last year.

Clever, but still doesn't work.

IamBATMAN
04-18-2014, 10:48 AM

I work for the advertising company that publishes the phone books....we actually are the company that handles all the advertising that goes IN the phone books. We don't represent the name "Yellow Pages," but we supply 70% of the nations phone books. Its funny to read everyone's reaction to the books we print dropped off at your door. Print revune still accounts for more than 65% of our revenue. Just in the past three years our sales focus has changed to online advertising, and we are a certified partner of google making us now the number one seller of google adwords. So if you are looking to bolster the internet prescence our company would be a good start. We are nationwide and google LOVES us...

notorious
04-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Sorry, I keep saying "Yellow Pages" when in reality I buy advertising from Yellowbook/Hibu.

Just Passin' By
04-18-2014, 11:42 AM
I think it's both hilarious and sad that so many people are now too lazy to crack open a book.

IamBATMAN
04-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Its a common thing - no big deal. Yellow book is actually our competitor. If you are interested in getting more for your money let me know. I will hook you up with a good rep and get you a discount...friend and family type thing. The programs we offer really do tie your print and online together to maximize roi and provide you with all visibility so you can see what clients we bring you from each outlet.

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 11:45 AM
I think it's both hilarious and sad that so many people are now too lazy to crack open a book.

It's not laziness, it's efficiency.

The Internet is a far more comprehensive resource than any phone book. Not only can you find a plumber but you can read testimonials and reviews and figure out if he's worth shit. Then you can price compare to others.

All in about the same time it takes to even thumb through a massive yellow directory.

Just Passin' By
04-18-2014, 11:54 AM
It's not laziness, it's efficiency.

The Internet is a far more comprehensive resource than any phone book. Not only can you find a plumber but you can read testimonials and reviews and figure out if he's worth shit. Then you can price compare to others.

All in about the same time it takes to even thumb through a massive yellow directory.

No, it's pure laziness. It very often takes longer than using the phone book, it often brings you far fewer options than using the phone book, and you could just move your body and burn part of a calorie or two.

J Diddy
04-18-2014, 12:03 PM

I don't think laziness has anything to do with it. Pull phone out of pocket, type or say what you're looking for and connect with same phone vs. dig in a drawer for phone book, pull out phone book, look up info, then pull phone out of pocket, enter numbers and use phone to make call, then put up phone book.

Not a matter of lazy, just a matter of removing useless wasted steps.

Fish
04-18-2014, 12:05 PM
No, it's pure laziness. It very often takes longer than using the phone book, it often brings you far fewer options than using the phone book, and you could just move your body and burn part of a calorie or two.

Ridiculous.

listopencil
04-18-2014, 12:12 PM

Not really. I was looking for a place to buy a very specific kind of battery recently. I tapped a spot on the screen of my cell phone and spoke a detailed descriptive phrase. I was instantly directed to the only place that offered that battery within thirty miles of my house. I called them and conducted some business. It took about forty five seconds to go from 0 to done. The Yellow Pages can't match that level of effectiveness.

J Diddy
04-18-2014, 12:14 PM

That's just silly. I use my phone to look up the numbers which leaves me more time to burn calories you know like masturbating or something.

|Zach|
04-18-2014, 12:24 PM

You're not doing it right if it is easier to use a phone book. That's crazy.

|Zach|
04-18-2014, 12:26 PM
I think it is pure laziness that people make phone calls across the city when they could just walk 15 miles and talk to that person face to face.

BigMeatballDave
04-18-2014, 12:30 PM

LMAO The dumbest thing I read today. Thanks for the entertainment.

Rain Man
04-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Back around the turn of the century (the cast-iron century, not the plastic century), Denver used to publish a "city directory". It listed your name, address, and profession. Here's an example: http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16079coll28/id/33385

I'm not really sure why it was printed, and it went up to 1930 or 1940 and never listed telephone numbers. At some point they took out the profession, which must've just been there for social reasons or something.

It's cool for historical research, but I'm not sure what its contemporary value was, unless phone books weren't around back then.

BigMeatballDave
04-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Not really. I was looking for a place to buy a very specific kind of battery recently. I tapped a spot on the screen of my cell phone and spoke a detailed descriptive phrase. I was instantly directed to the only place that offered that battery within thirty miles of my house. I called them and conducted some business. It took about forty five seconds to go from 0 to done. The Yellow Pages can't match that level of effectiveness.

YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO OPEN A BOOK!

htismaqe
04-18-2014, 12:37 PM
You're not doing it right if it is easier to use a phone book. That's crazy.

This.

IamBATMAN
04-18-2014, 02:22 PM
You would be surprised at what % of the population still uses the phone book. I can't tell you the last time I picked up a phone book that wasn't to move it from the driveway to the recycle bin....and I work for the damn thing. Whenever we have our earning reports they release statistics in regards to the usage of the book - and it is actually much HIGHER than one would think.

J Diddy
04-18-2014, 02:27 PM

This is why I got all my textbooks in ebook form this semester. I lacked the will to open a book.

listopencil
04-18-2014, 02:30 PM

I opened my Kindle today. Does that count?

listopencil
04-19-2014, 12:41 AM
http://m1.behance.net/rendition/modules/84913893/disp/402872cc65fbbc6fda64c36784f2d739.jpg

BigMeatballDave
04-19-2014, 07:14 AM
http://m1.behance.net/rendition/modules/84913893/disp/402872cc65fbbc6fda64c36784f2d739.jpg

LMAO

BigMeatballDave
04-19-2014, 07:16 AM
My parents still use them, but they're also in their 70s and don't have smartphones.