PDA

View Full Version : Life Generation Y

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2014, 02:10 PM
SO I am having a conversation in a bar the night before a career fair with a person I took to the college to help me recruit. The guy I brought is Generation Y. After a few beers the conversation turned to the strange things some people have said in the interview process. The person with me said something that really hit home, he said "you have to understand my generation, it is very important that people look at us as being intelligent and right whether we are or not and are doing anything with our lives has nothing to do with it." The guy at the next table says "that's true" People at his table say what? HE repeats what was said and they readily agree laughing about it. I found it refreshing for a group to acknowledge something about their own generation like that. With that in mind I am at the very end of the baby boomer generation and can relate much more easily to Gen x and the one thing I would say in that same vein is it is really important that you know it really is all about us because it is.

In58men
04-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Peyton Manning

KC native
04-22-2014, 02:14 PM
no vaccinations

Canofbier
04-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Do baby boomers all type in illegible blocks of run-on sentences?

Hammock Parties
04-22-2014, 02:16 PM
you're everything i thought i never wanted in a girl

ptlyon

I really couldn't get an idea what BD was talking about. Maybe I'm Generation Y?

Rausch

No.

Just Generation TeXt...

BIG_DADDY

No, that was just me

BlackHelicopters
04-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Such a confusing time

GordonGekko
04-22-2014, 02:22 PM
SO I am having a conversation in a bar the night before a career fair with a person I took to the college to help me recruit. The guy I brought is Generation Y. After a few beers the conversation turned to the strange things some people have said in the interview process. The person with me said something that really hit home, he said "you have to understand my generation, it is very important that people look at us as being intelligent and right whether we are or not and are doing anything with our lives has nothing to do with it." The guy at the next table says "that's true" People at his table say what? HE repeats what was said and they readily agree laughing about it. I found it refreshing for a group to acknowledge something about their own generation like that. With that in mind I am at the very end of the baby boomer generation and can relate much more easily to Gen x and the one thing I would say in that same vein is it is really important that you know it really is all about us because it is.

You still drunk bro?

KCUnited
04-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Generation **** A Comma is the worst.

KC native
04-22-2014, 02:25 PM

LMAO

Buehler445
04-22-2014, 02:30 PM
I was born in 1983. What generation am I?

KC native
04-22-2014, 02:32 PM

Generation Punctuation

ptlyon
04-22-2014, 02:32 PM

Generation N00b

Omaha
04-22-2014, 02:36 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/elg5VGdr6LU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Katipan
04-22-2014, 02:36 PM

Gangsta Rap

loochy
04-22-2014, 02:38 PM
I like steak.

Hammock Parties
04-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Gangsta Rap

impossibru, i was born in 81

ptlyon
04-22-2014, 02:39 PM
I like steak.

I concur

Katipan
04-22-2014, 02:40 PM

Ahead of your time.

notorious
04-22-2014, 02:40 PM

You were 12 when Montana was traded here.

Your destiny was sealed on that day. LMAO

KC native
04-22-2014, 02:42 PM

jayhova's mormons don't count for characterization purposes.

because weirdos

ptlyon
04-22-2014, 02:43 PM
You were 12 when Montana was traded here.

Your destiny was sealed on that day. LMAO

Probably the day he found his Special Purpose as well

WilliamTheIrish
04-22-2014, 03:00 PM
http://work.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241632&highlight=Pandora

Not as good a thread as when BD discovered Pandora. In 2012.

bevischief
04-22-2014, 03:06 PM

The noob generation.

notorious
04-22-2014, 03:07 PM
The Q generation.

fyp

ct
04-22-2014, 03:12 PM
http://work.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=241632&highlight=Pandora

Not as good a thread as when BD discovered Pandora. In 2012.

GOLD Jerry, GOLD!!

Rain Man
04-22-2014, 03:34 PM

While the classical folks would say that you're a Gen X person, I think you fall into a small subset that I call the Mr. T generation. Your generation is prone to pitying fools.

Jimmya
04-22-2014, 03:38 PM
We may be screwed with this new generation of teenagers!

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Interesting progression.

rambleonthruthefog
04-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Baby boomers, Americas least greatest generation

digger
04-22-2014, 04:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generations#List_of_generations

tmw4h5
04-22-2014, 04:20 PM

Cephalic Trauma
04-22-2014, 04:48 PM
I hate when people vaccinate their kids and act like they're right and stuff. What dicks.

Prison Bitch
04-22-2014, 04:51 PM

No, the Milennials are infinitely worse.

Canofbier
04-22-2014, 04:53 PM

We're your creations, so congratulations.

Prison Bitch
04-22-2014, 05:09 PM
We're your creations, so congratulations.

I never raised you, I'm an X. We were the latchkey kids of the divorce boom.

BIG_DADDY
04-22-2014, 05:15 PM
I thought this might evolve into something pretty cool, my bad. It's attracted some of the finest poop throwers instead.

BWillie
04-22-2014, 05:20 PM

Technically you can identify with Generation X or Generation Y..but probably moreso to Generation Y.

BWillie
04-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Baby Boomers - Religious, probably don't believe the world is round or that gravity exists for that matter, brags to their sons & daughters that they figured out how to open an attachment on their aol.com email account, believe the woman is supposed to be in the kitchen, likes to shoot animals with guns, frequent buyer of NObama bumper stickers, hate black people & gays, angry.

Generation X - think that Mexicans are taking their jerbs, probably divorced, the women act happy because they work for their own money but then realize it really sucks and they screwed up a really good thing they had before hanging out at home watching soap operas and feeding the kids easy mac, probably loves Billy Idol, drives an SUV, claims to value diversity but will avoid any streets where there are black people hanging out, claims there is nothing wrong with being homosexual but will not associate or befriend a gay person, cries when they find their son or daughter has smoked pot.

Generation Y - graduated college only to claim the degree is worthless and that Generation X & Baby Boomers screwed up the economy beyond recognition, probably has an economics degree but works at a retail store with an hourly wage, raging pussies who drive Prius's and smart cars, wear large black glasses, claim to care about the environment yet won't volunteer to help, embraces diversity, hates white people even as a white person, listens to EDM, gets upset when hotels don't offer free wifi, forgets that weed is illegal & that it is in the glove department of their car, finds religious people annoying, gay kids are the popular kids at school, likes watching MLS & international soccer

notorious
04-22-2014, 05:44 PM
How did Gen X screw up the economy?

notorious
04-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Oh shit, Gen X goes back to the early 60's?

BWillie, my apologies.

Rain Man
04-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Baby Boomers - Religious, probably don't believe the world is round or that gravity exists for that matter, brags to their sons & daughters that they figured out how to open an attachment on their aol.com email account, believe the woman is supposed to be in the kitchen, likes to shoot animals with guns, frequent buyer of NObama bumper stickers, hate black people & gays, angry.

Generation X - think that Mexicans are taking their jerbs, probably divorced, the women act happy because they work for their own money but then realize it really sucks and they screwed up a really good thing they had before hanging out at home watching soap operas and feeding the kids easy mac, probably loves Billy Idol, drives an SUV, claims to value diversity but will avoid any streets where there are black people hanging out, claims there is nothing wrong with being homosexual but will not associate or befriend a gay person, cries when they find their son or daughter has smoked pot.

Generation Y - graduated college only to claim the degree is worthless and that Generation X & Baby Boomers screwed up the economy beyond recognition, probably has an economics degree but works at a retail store with an hourly wage, raging pussies who drive Prius's and smart cars, wear large black glasses, claim to care about the environment yet won't volunteer to help, embraces diversity, hates white people even as a white person, listens to EDM, gets upset when hotels don't offer free wifi, forgets that weed is illegal & that it is in the glove department of their car, finds religious people annoying, gay kids are the popular kids at school, likes watching MLS & international soccer

I think your Boomer description best describes the generation before it, and your Gen X description best describes Boomers.

Buehler445
04-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Technically you can identify with Generation X or Generation Y..but probably moreso to Generation Y.

Yeah, firmly in the Gen X camp according to Big Daddy's matrix thing.

cosmo20002
04-22-2014, 06:24 PM
The important thing is to be able to take all the people born in a 20-year span and be able to describe all them with just a few words.
It's very useful and practical.

loochy
04-22-2014, 06:41 PM
The important thing is to be able to take all the people born in a 20-year span and be able to describe all them with just a few words.

It's very much like astrology.

BWillie
04-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Stereotyping people, because it's quicker.

loochy
04-22-2014, 06:50 PM

But only if they are white

cosmo20002
04-22-2014, 06:55 PM
It's very much like astrology.

I don't believe in that.
Except all older generations are bitter and cranky and all the younger ones are stupid and lazy.

loochy
04-22-2014, 06:58 PM
I don't believe in that.
Except all older generations are bitter and cranky and all the younger ones are stupid and lazy.

And poor people smell like spoiled milk.

Rain Man
04-22-2014, 07:09 PM
People who support stereotyping are terrible people.

KC native
04-22-2014, 07:17 PM
I thought this might evolve into something pretty cool, my bad. It's attracted some of the finest poop throwers instead.

http://memeshare.net/memes/12/11937.png

Psyko Tek
04-22-2014, 10:03 PM

the one that was born the year I graduated hS

YOU ARE GENERATION PSYKO

now you have a label, enjoy it

cosmo20002
04-22-2014, 10:28 PM

1.Thread involves broad generalizations and critical look at people grouped together simply by an age range.

2. Thread is on CP.

What did you expect?

Jiu Jitsu Jon
04-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Mr. T pities fools and whippersnappers, I do not.

I'll take off my belt and go full-on Jesus vs. the moneychangers on these brats.

chiefzilla1501
04-22-2014, 11:48 PM

Goddamnit. I tried to fuck a comma but it was on its period

chiefzilla1501
04-22-2014, 11:48 PM
People who support stereotyping are terrible people.

I agree. Especially the Dutch. They are the worst at it.

A Salt Weapon
04-23-2014, 12:49 AM
You'd really think they should have 10 year breaks instead of 20 years.

Mojo Rising
04-23-2014, 01:22 AM
Gen Y = Pit Bulls - Very aggressive without care for others well being, usually justify aggression as justified for a greater purpose

Gen X = Black Labs - Always do the right thing,very energetic, hard working and loyal

Baby Boomer = OLD Yeller - Forgetful, requires medical help to remember commands and to go outside to take care of business

Valiant
04-23-2014, 04:02 AM

The greatest generation was the last great generations. Baby boomers started the decline, my generation continued it. Y, is just going to shit on it. Hopefully the one after that gets tired of the BS and sacrifices something to correct the problems.

BIG_DADDY
04-23-2014, 06:27 AM
1.Thread involves broad generalizations and critical look at people grouped together simply by an age range.

2. Thread is on CP.

What did you expect?

What I have found interesting is how they relate in business.

Baby Boomers - Their strength is their work ethic and being dynamic communicators. Nobody could string endless 12+ hour work days together like them. Gen X saw this, Gen Y not so much. Let's face it, they are old and crusty now and have other obligations. They also spent their entire career face to face so they truly are the masters of communication. Their weakness their inability to use technology and seeing others as being unworthy as they never had the same work ethic.
Gen X - Their strength is their flexibility. They can relate to baby boomers as easily as the Gen Y. They have good work ethic and understand technology. They also tend to be decent communicators as many of them have not spent their whole life behind a screen. I think their only real weakness is a huge defiance and distrust of authority. Lots of black marks on those baby boomers resumes.
Gen Y -Multi-tasking giants that are more intelligent whether anyone wants to admit it or not. The way they process information and produce never ceases to amaze me. Lack of communication and refusal to conform in that area is their weakness. They see BBers as dinosaurs and that may be true but the old man holds the keys to the kingdom in many cases and can make them made men early on in life and help them with their communication skills if they were not so set in proving they are right and wanting to reinvent the wheel all the time.

My 2 cents.

BIG_DADDY
04-23-2014, 06:29 AM
Gen Y = Pit Bulls - Very aggressive without care for others well being, usually justify aggression as justified for a greater purpose

Gen X = Black Labs - Always do the right thing,very energetic, hard working and loyal

Baby Boomer = OLD Yeller - Forgetful, requires medical help to remember commands and to go outside to take care of business

Funny

chiefzilla1501
04-23-2014, 06:43 AM
What I have found interesting is how they relate in business.

Baby Boomers - Their strength is their work ethic and being dynamic communicators. Nobody could string endless 12+ hour work days together like them. Gen X saw this, Gen Y not so much. Let's face it, they are old and crusty now and have other obligations. They also spent their entire career face to face so they truly are the masters of communication. Their weakness their inability to use technology and seeing others as being unworthy as they never had the same work ethic.
Gen X - Their strength is their flexibility. They can relate to baby boomers as easily as the Gen Y. They have good work ethic and understand technology. They also tend to be decent communicators as many of them have not spent their whole life behind a screen. I think their only real weakness is a huge defiance and distrust of authority. Lots of black marks on those baby boomers resumes.
Gen Y -Multi-tasking giants that are more intelligent whether anyone wants to admit it or not. The way they process information and produce never ceases to amaze me. Lack of communication and refusal to conform in that area is their weakness. They see BBers as dinosaurs and that may be true but the old man holds the keys to the kingdom in many cases and can make them made men early on in life and help them with their communication skills if they were not so set in proving they are right and wanting to reinvent the wheel all the time.

My 2 cents.

I'm Gen XY Cusp, by the way. Gen Y gets a bad rep, but the truth is the workplace has slowly evolved to their needs. They don't want to stay in the same job their entire life, which is a good and bad thing (I think it's a very good thing, but that's my bias). Second, people think they have a bad work ethic because they don't want to be in the office. Gen Y understands that good business can get done remotely, that you can work 8 to 5 in the office then crank out a few hours at night versus staying 8 to 8. And Gen Y is open to using new tech in ways that BBs are too slow to adopt. Gen X and Y come from a more open age where leadership skills are taught as equally important to soft skills. They also have to be frustrated because the world is going digital, and BBs are getting in the way in many cases to real progress being made to shift companies there. In some cases, they openly resist.

Their blind spots (other than already mentioned) are that they'll be harder and more needy to retain in your work force. They multitask, so they have very short attention spans. They seem a lot less prepared for basic life and social skills, and they grew up in a world where it's common to talk to people over the computer instead of hearing a voice or seeing a face.

I think the big ten difference is clearly technology. The world has changed extremely fast with the adoption of mobile and internet. So drastic that the gap between BBs and Gen Ys is so stark. I bet you see a difference mentality from Gen Ys as leadership gets younger.

Strongside
04-23-2014, 06:49 AM

Said every generation ever.

Garcia Bronco
I never raised you, I'm an X. We were the latchkey kids of the divorce boom.

yep latchkey kid in the second grade because my single-mom working mother could swing the bill.

ThatRaceCardGuy
Baby boomers destroyed our country.

WhiteWhale
04-23-2014, 06:50 AM
The greatest generation was the last great generations. Baby boomers started the decline, my generation continued it. Y, is just going to shit on it. Hopefully the one after that gets tired of the BS and sacrifices something to correct the problems.

IT's perception, not reality.

People haven't changed. The world has changed around them.

I think it's fucked that generation Y has been fighting and dying in foreign wars for the past 12 years and then listen to morons tell them how they're ruining it.

The whole generational breakdown is fucking stupid anyway. A person born in 1978 has a helluva lot more in common with someone born in 1982 than they do someone born in 1965.

This whole conversation is based on a false premise and is simpy a means to yell 'get those kids offa my lawn!"

Garcia Bronco
04-23-2014, 06:51 AM
What about Generation Jones? Its the generation between the Boomers and the Xers

ptlyon
04-23-2014, 06:58 AM
yep latchkey kid in the second grade because my single-mom working mother could swing the bill.

Did she hook?

Strongside
04-23-2014, 07:01 AM
Anyone bitching about generation x or y needs to look in the mirror. We were raised by baby boomers. We'll spend the vast majority of our lives & careers fixing your fuck ups.

chiefzilla1501
04-23-2014, 07:16 AM

I think it's ****ed that generation Y has been fighting and dying in foreign wars for the past 12 years and then listen to morons tell them how they're ruining it.

The whole generational breakdown is ****ing stupid anyway. A person born in 1978 has a helluva lot more in common with someone born in 1982 than they do someone born in 1965.

This whole conversation is based on a false premise and is simpy a means to yell 'get those kids offa my lawn!"

Yup. For every one of those premises, Gen Y can throw a few back. Why are we moving at a snail's pace to get our company digital, social, and mobile? Why do we continue to insist on an 8 to 8 office culture when you can knock several of those remote? Why do we have leaders who continue to pump money into typical sales tactics and not embracing sales enabled by technology? Why does my company not embrace moving around to different roles and jobs?

Gen Y has plenty of blind spots. They're too easily distracted, have short attention spans, and lack basic life and social skills for most generations at that age. But they also have a frustratingly lack of power to change companies that refuse to adopt to a new environment.

Ebolapox
04-23-2014, 08:07 AM
Gangsta Rap

wait... I thought we were the G-Funk era, turned down with a gangsta twist?

if you smoke like I smoke, then you're high like every day.

Katipan
04-23-2014, 08:10 AM

I couldn't love a man who didn't know that song. But that song never would have happened without nwa. ;)

milkman
04-23-2014, 08:12 AM
What happens when we run out of letters?

Katipan
04-23-2014, 08:14 AM

Start naming them like tropical storms.

Cephalic Trauma
04-23-2014, 08:15 AM

We ditch the archaic system and quit grouping people based on silly generalizations.

BIG_DADDY
04-23-2014, 08:36 AM
I'm Gen XY Cusp, by the way. Gen Y gets a bad rep, but the truth is the workplace has slowly evolved to their needs. They don't want to stay in the same job their entire life, which is a good and bad thing (I think it's a very good thing, but that's my bias). Second, people think they have a bad work ethic because they don't want to be in the office. Gen Y understands that good business can get done remotely, that you can work 8 to 5 in the office then crank out a few hours at night versus staying 8 to 8. And Gen Y is open to using new tech in ways that BBs are too slow to adopt. Gen X and Y come from a more open age where leadership skills are taught as equally important to soft skills. They also have to be frustrated because the world is going digital, and BBs are getting in the way in many cases to real progress being made to shift companies there. In some cases, they openly resist.

Their blind spots (other than already mentioned) are that they'll be harder and more needy to retain in your work force. They multitask, so they have very short attention spans. They seem a lot less prepared for basic life and social skills, and they grew up in a world where it's common to talk to people over the computer instead of hearing a voice or seeing a face.

I think the big ten difference is clearly technology. The world has changed extremely fast with the adoption of mobile and internet. So drastic that the gap between BBs and Gen Ys is so stark. I bet you see a difference mentality from Gen Ys as leadership gets younger.

Gen Y fascinates me, they really do. The ability of those people to self-analyze their own generation at that age shows how bright they really are. Those who are able to adapt from any generation will be the ones who thrive. For Gen Y it will be the ones with a dynamic communication set with a strong desire to compete. Smart guys who just want a job are a dime a dozen.

burt
04-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Meh...people are people.....

Jimmya
04-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Attached to their electronics and Facebook for sure.

BIG_DADDY
04-23-2014, 09:41 AM
We ditch the archaic system and quit grouping people based on silly generalizations.

Because failing to acknowledge that the BBers had literally zero exposure to technology or that many Gen Yers struggle mightily with social skills is a productive and intelligent way to address communication breakdown that is taking place in corporate America.

Can we all just hold hands and skip now?

Cephalic Trauma
04-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Because failing to acknowledge that the BBers had literally zero exposure to technology or that many Gen Yers struggle mightily with social skills is a productive and intelligent way to address communication breakdown that is taking place in corporate America.

I doubt you have the breath of knowledge to state that a "communication breakdown" is taking place across the country. You are acknowledging issues within your own bubble and applying them to a much larger scale. That's probably why you didn't get the reaction you had hoped.

KC native
04-23-2014, 09:53 AM

gay adoption

Rausch
04-23-2014, 09:58 AM
I doubt you have the breath of knowledge to state that a "communication breakdown" is taking place across the country. You are acknowledging issues within your own bubble and applying them to a much larger scale. That's probably why you didn't get the reaction you had hoped.

I don't think that assuming people who had to communicate more in person, in social settings, are more social people with better interpersonal skills. You do something more you'll get better at it.

Social media is something that helps people avoid social situations. Instead of going to the park or joining a sport or hanging out at the local comix shop with other nerds you can now turn on Call of Duty and rawr on Chiefsplanet...

Cephalic Trauma
04-23-2014, 10:08 AM
I don't think that assuming people who had to communicate more in person, in social settings, are more social people with better interpersonal skills. You do something more you'll get better at it.

Social media is something that helps people avoid social situations. Instead of going to the park or joining a sport or hanging out at the local comix shop with other nerds you can now turn on Call of Duty and rawr on Chiefsplanet...

And this has lead to a communication breakdown in corporate america how?

My point is he is taking his challenges as [Insert repetitive job here] and assuming that is going on everywhere. That's why his OP, and subsequent posts have been fraught with poorly conceived generalizations.

Rausch
04-23-2014, 10:14 AM

I wasn't talking about corporate America. I'm just talking about younger people.

And I don't think it was their fault. The kids didn't create the social media or the Cell phones/Video games/computers they grew up with since age 6.

My point is he is taking his challenges as [Insert repetitive job here] and assuming that is going on everywhere.

Agreed. I'm responding more to conversation in the thread than the thread starter...

ct
04-23-2014, 10:17 AM

Gen Z, as in mindless Zombies walking around with cell phones in their faces, oblivious to the real world happening all around them.

Rausch
04-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Gen Z, as in mindless Zombies walking around with cell phones in their faces, oblivious to the real world happening all around them.

That's people of all ages now.

A year or two ago I went out with 10 people from work for a gal's birthday. After dinner 5 of those people spent the next 3 hours fucking with their phones and interacting with no one...

Fire Me Boy!
04-23-2014, 10:26 AM

Breadth.

My point is he is taking his challenges as [Insert repetitive job here] and assuming that is going on everywhere. That's why his OP, and subsequent posts have been fraught with poorly conceived generalizations.

Led.

Pablo
04-23-2014, 10:26 AM

A year or two ago I went out with 10 people from work for a gal's birthday. After dinner 5 of those people spent the next 3 hours fucking with their phones and interacting with no one...Yeah, from teens to boomers; people love to fuck with their phones in a social setting. I'm guilty of it from time to time, but usually when I get together with a group of people everyone I really care to talk to is probably there.

Nothing is worse than constant picture taking/check-in on Facebook woman. She wants everyone to know where she is, who she's with; and to show off all of her fun pictures!!

Gag.

Hammock Parties
04-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Yeah, from teens to boomers; people love to fuck with their phones in a social setting. I'm guilty of it from time to time, but usually when I get together with a group of people everyone I really care to talk to is probably there.

I refuse to buy a smartphone. I know they're useful. But I already spend too much time on the computer. Having one in my pocket is too much of a temptation for me.

My phone is for calling and texting only. And taking pictures of things to post later on facebook. :D

ct
04-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Gen Y fascinates me, they really do. The ability of those people to self-analyze their own generation at that age shows how bright they really are. Those who are able to adapt from any generation will be the ones who thrive. For Gen Y it will be the ones with a dynamic communication set with a strong desire to compete. Smart guys who just want a job are a dime a dozen.

Apply that as a machine learning concept and it gets even more interesting.

The matrix is real people...

ct
04-23-2014, 10:30 AM

A year or two ago I went out with 10 people from work for a gal's birthday. After dinner 5 of those people spent the next 3 hours ****ing with their phones and interacting with no one...

Sorry was catching up on my twitter feed, what did you say?

Pablo
04-23-2014, 10:34 AM
I refuse to buy a smartphone. I know they're useful. But I already spend too much time on the computer. Having one in my pocket is too much of a temptation for me.

My phone is for calling and texting only. And taking pictures of things to post later on facebook. :DYeah, some days I feel like I'm staring at a screen all day. Laptop all work day; mixed with plenty of texts and calls. Then watch some TV to unwind. Browse CP on my phone on the couch. I just spend too much time on CP and Reddit, honestly.

It's getting nice out, so I don't really have an excuse to sit inside on my ass all day and night. Now I can sit outside on the patio and drink beer. :D

Hammock Parties
04-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Yeah, some days I feel like I'm staring at a screen all day. Laptop all work day; mixed with plenty of texts and calls. Then watch some TV to unwind. Browse CP on my phone on the couch. I just spend too much time on CP and Reddit, honestly.

It's getting nice out, so I don't really have an excuse to sit inside on my ass all day and night. Now I can sit outside on the patio and drink beer. :D

On my days off I ditch my phone and take a walk down to the shopping center.....so I can go inside a dark room and watch a movie and not talk to anyone. :D

Chaunceythe3rd
04-23-2014, 10:39 AM
While the classical folks would say that you're a Gen X person, I think you fall into a small subset that I call the Mr. T generation. Your generation is prone to pitying fools.

:clap:ROFL

loochy
04-23-2014, 10:40 AM
On my days off I ditch my phone and take a walk down to the shopping center.....so I can go inside a dark room and watch a movie and not talk to anyone. :D

talking to people is way overrated

Mosbonian
04-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Interesting generalizations by some....funny creations by others.

I know just as many Baby Boomers that utilize technology as much as the Millenials or Gen Y/X. And I also know some Gen Y/X'ers that works from 8 AM to 8 PM from the office.

Each generation blames the next for society's ills....been that way for way too many years. And it will continue that way when, as Milkman referred to in his post, we have run out of alphabet labels.

NewChief
04-23-2014, 10:45 AM

I know just as many Baby Boomers that utilize technology as much as the Millenials or Gen Y/X. And I also know some Gen Y/X'ers that works from 8 AM to 8 PM from the office.

Each generation blames the next for society's ills....been that way for way too many years. And it will continue that way when, as Milkman referred to in his post, we have run out of alphabet labels.

My wife is Gen X, and she's AWFUL about being on her phone. I actually text her at dinner and in social situations, telling her to get off her phone because it's embarrassing. A large part of her business is social media, so that's partially to blame, but it's also just a bad habit.

People are becoming increasingly uncomfortable being in their own skins, imo.

Mosbonian
04-23-2014, 10:53 AM
My wife is Gen X, and she's AWFUL about being on her phone. I actually text her at dinner and in social situations, telling her to get off her phone because it's embarrassing. A large part of her business is social media, so that's partially to blame, but it's also just a bad habit.

True, so true.

My wife broke me of the habit when she left me alone at a dinner party and went to talk with other friends several years ago.

BIG_DADDY
04-23-2014, 11:06 AM

And all the frustration shown in this thread is a figment of my imagination. Thanks for participating.

Jimmya
04-23-2014, 11:10 AM
If all the generations are the same then why are there the highest numbers in history of 20 somethings living with their parents? Just a thought.

Cephalic Trauma
04-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Breadth.

Led.

Thanks! Care to address the ideas, or point out simple grammatical mistakes?

Rain Man
04-23-2014, 11:13 AM

It's so easy now in a down moment to get on your phone and check the planet or Facebook. I find myself doing it instead of observing the world or meeting new people, and I see others doing the same thing. I don't think it's a good trend.

I was at a charity dinner the other night, one of those where a couple of hundred people buy tickets and eat a meal while there's a speaker. It was in a big mansion and the layout and acoustics didn't work well, so I could barely hear the speaker at all. It was awful because you couldn't talk to anyone else since the speaker was talking, but you couldn't hear the speaker half the time, either. I was at a table with half a dozen people and I was battling the whole time to keep from pulling out my phone and checking out Chiefsplanet.

rambleonthruthefog
04-23-2014, 11:15 AM

I know this answer. What is stupid things that baby boomers believe, Alex.

KC native
04-23-2014, 11:17 AM
And all the frustration shown in this thread is a figment of my imagination. Thanks for participating.

Yes, it's all in your head.

Pablo
04-23-2014, 11:18 AM
It's so easy now in a down moment to get on your phone and check the planet or Facebook. I find myself doing it instead of observing the world or meeting new people, and I see others doing the same thing. I don't think it's a good trend.

I was at a charity dinner the other night, one of those where a couple of hundred people buy tickets and eat a meal while there's a speaker. It was in a big mansion and the layout and acoustics didn't work well, so I could barely hear the speaker at all. It was awful because you couldn't talk to anyone else since the speaker was talking, but you couldn't hear the speaker half the time, either. I was at a table with half a dozen people and I was battling the whole time to keep from pulling out my phone and checking out Chiefsplanet.That's the CP itch Rainman. This place will pull you in. You're checking in for no good reason, almost uncontrollably. You're fighting the urge to check in and see what clever puns have been dropped in the latest tragedy thread.

It's got you Rainman. There is no way out.

Pablo
04-23-2014, 11:20 AM
I know this answer. What is stupid things that baby boomers believe, Alex.He's a 60 year old trapped in a 40 year old's body.

RealSNR
04-23-2014, 11:43 AM
If all the generations are the same then why are there the highest numbers in history of 20 somethings living with their parents? Just a thought.

It's probably because they're lazy and actually enjoy living with their parents at that age! AMIRITE?

Fire Me Boy!
04-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks! Care to address the ideas, or point out simple grammatical mistakes?

Nah, mainly grammatical mistakes.

:D

Easy 6
04-23-2014, 11:45 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8ggdD5p6yic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RealSNR
04-23-2014, 11:47 AM
"When I was in my early 20s, I worked 60 hours/week at my factory job for $1.50/hour and by golly that was enough to buy a car, put a down payment on a house, and care for my two kids that I had at age 18 because society was weird about pressuring people into marrying and pooping out kids as early as fucking possible. Why can't these gosh darn Generation Ys do the same thing? Probably because they're too busy checking their Facespaces, Mybooks, and Chiefs Planets all day!"

Cephalic Trauma
04-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Nah, mainly grammatical mistakes.

:D

Ha, would you be interested in proofreading my posts? Because I could use it.

:)

ptlyon
04-23-2014, 11:49 AM
"When I was in my early 20s, I worked 60 hours/week at my factory job for $1.50/hour and by golly that was enough to buy a car, put a down payment on a house, and care for my two kids that I had at age 18 because society was weird about pressuring people into marrying and pooping out kids as early as ****ing possible. Why can't these gosh darn Generation Ys do the same thing? Probably because they're too busy checking their Facespaces, Mybooks, and Chiefs Planets all day!"

"God dammit"

GordonGekko
04-23-2014, 12:15 PM

Because the cost of buying and running a house is rediculously overpriced. Add to that the mortgage crisis and the new loan rules where new applicants need to be able to put down 20% up front, and this is why most in my generation conitnue to live in apartments or parent's house.

The price of housing is ****ing rediculous, and in some areas a complete joke.

I think at one time in this country an auto mechanic with a stay at home wife and 2 kids could afford a home. Now? No F'n way. One parent has to be a software engineer and the other a master's degree school teacher as a baseline to live in any type of decent house in many areas of the country.

Garcia Bronco
04-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Seriously....you guys don't have Generation Jones listed. It runs from roughly 1954 to 65

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Jones

Fire Me Boy!
04-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Ha, would you be interested in proofreading my posts? Because I could use it.

:)

Do I get to edit for content? I wouldn't abuse the privilege, I promise. o:-)

KC native
04-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Because the cost of buying and running a house is rediculously overpriced. Add to that the mortgage crisis and the new loan rules where new applicants need to be able to put down 20% up front, and this is why most in my generation conitnue to live in apartments or parent's house.

I think at one time in this country an auto mechanic with a stay at home wife and 2 kids could afford a home. Now? No F'n way. One parent has to be a software engineer and the other a master's degree school teacher as a baseline to live in any type of decent house in many areas of the country.

Y U SO SIRIUS IN A TROLL THRED?

Demonpenz
04-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Barack Obama is awesome.

GordonGekko
04-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Y U SO SIRIUS IN A TROLL THRED?

You want to know why gas is near $4.00 a gallon? I work in oil&gas, I know, it's not due to lack of resources, with fracking we have basically solved the oil situation for at least a 100 years. It's due to the lack of refineries. We haven't built a ****ing refinery in the US for like 30 years. Another reason why my generation is taking it in the ass.

KC native
04-23-2014, 12:46 PM
You want to know why gas is near $4.00 a gallon? I work in oil&gas, I know, it's not due to lack of resources, with fracking we have basically solved the oil situation for at least a 100 years. It's due to the lack of refineries. We haven't built a ****ing refinery in the US for like 30 years. Another reason why my generation is taking it in the ass.

2 SIRIUS. 2 SIRIUS 2 QUIT

RealSNR
04-23-2014, 12:49 PM
GEORGE BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE

KC native
04-23-2014, 12:51 PM
GEORGE BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE

KANYE WEST DOESN'T EITHER

Garcia Bronco
04-23-2014, 12:51 PM
I think the Boomer have royally fucked up this country...they used to be the hero's...now...they're the villians.

ptlyon
04-23-2014, 12:53 PM
I think the Boomer have royally ****ed up this country...they used to be the hero's...now...they're like, old.

FYP

GordonGekko
04-23-2014, 12:53 PM
I think the Boomer have royally ****ed up this country...they used to be the hero's...now...they're the villians.

From my estimation it's actually alot of the GenXers that caused the mortgage crisis bubble/meltdown.

KC native
04-23-2014, 12:55 PM
From my estimation it's actually alot of the GenXers that caused the mortgage crisis bubble/meltdown.

Boomers were very much a part of it with the home equity loans/withdrawals.

RealSNR
04-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Would you rather have a snarky college hipster kid with a smartphone or a self-righteous douchebag college kid who camps out on your lawn to protest shit, does LSD, and doesn't wear any clothes?

I'll take the smartphone kid, thank you very much.

GordonGekko
04-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Boomers were very much a part of it with the home equity loans/withdrawals.

Boomers were the reason housing prices were overpriced as shit to begin with, GenXers caused the collapse (with some Boomer help).

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2014, 01:01 PM

It has nothing to do with the economic stranglehold the 1%-ers (cheered by too many boomers) have put on the middle class during the last 10-15 years....right?

:rolleyes:

I think the Boomer have royally ****ed up this country...they used to be the hero's...now...they're the villians.

Yup. Self-absorbed navel gazing entitled brats...far to many of them anyway. Yeah, it's become a cultural epidemic of sorts, but they invented it and do it far better than most ever have...

The Generation Jones thing really rings very true too, from my observations.

Easy 6
04-23-2014, 01:02 PM
I used to believe in the phrase "never trust anyone over 30", these days I believe quite the opposite.

chiefzilla1501
04-23-2014, 02:04 PM

It is not a generalization. Study after study shows that young professionals have a much better adoption of new technology and have a preference for remote work environments. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. But this is backed by data.

And by the way, these aren't always great things. Yps are less sociable because they are used to online and mobile interaction and are easily distracted and have short attention spans because they multi-task. Working remote has many disadvantages to it including failure to often build good office team relationships. It's a matter of preferences bit as of right now, the world isn't geared for this generation yet. That's starting to change.

BWillie
04-23-2014, 02:06 PM

Regulate modder fuccas

Valiant
04-23-2014, 02:22 PM

I think it's ****ed that generation Y has been fighting and dying in foreign wars for the past 12 years and then listen to morons tell them how they're ruining it.

The whole generational breakdown is ****ing stupid anyway. A person born in 1978 has a helluva lot more in common with someone born in 1982 than they do someone born in 1965.

Your defense is that Y has been fighting in a foreign wars? That encompasses less than what? a tenth of one percent? Not lumping in all of them. But your generation has the welfare/dependent on government/vote strictly democrat class. That shit is going to be tough to break. I mean when you can get the equivalent of 40k a year?

The serving is exception not the norm, thankyou if you did.

I want a generation to take back America, cut down on greed a little bit. Reign in corporations and politicians while voting. Hell, create a new voting party. The older generations will not take part unless there is some major like a civil war.

Rain Man
04-23-2014, 02:46 PM
It's all about attitude. Some people call it Generation Y. I call it Generation Y Not?

ptlyon
04-23-2014, 02:47 PM
It's all about attitude. Some people call it Generation Y. I call it Generation Y Not?

I call it Generation Y For myself...

loochy
04-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Generation WHY...as in why am I looking at this thread?

Fish
04-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Generation YOLO

Garcia Bronco
04-23-2014, 03:08 PM

George Bush is a Boomer
Franklin Raines is a boomer
Phil Graham
Barney Frank
Bill Clinton

are all Boomers. They aren't only ones that set the stage for that shit...but it's the Boomers.

mr. tegu
04-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Very interesting read. Some generalizations but much of it rings true.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2013/09/why-generation-y-yuppies-are-unhappy.html

BWillie
04-23-2014, 03:52 PM

San Antonio housing prices are that high? Didn't seem Texas housing prices were really that outrageous to even us poor folks in Kansas City and the midwest. Just gets out of hand on the coasts or where liberals like to live.

mr. tegu
04-23-2014, 03:55 PM

The bolded isn't true. And on top of that, for those living at home and if they did want a house it should lead to having that kind of cash anyways with any type of fiscal responsibility. But many people that age aren't really interested in that type of commitment yet, which I can understand.

Just Passin' By
04-23-2014, 04:52 PM

Because there's no such thing as a group dynamic, dominant subgroup or general population?

GordonGekko
04-23-2014, 08:46 PM
San Antonio housing prices are that high? Didn't seem Texas housing prices were really that outrageous to even us poor folks in Kansas City and the midwest. Just gets out of hand on the coasts or where liberals like to live.

San Antonio is definitely on the low end of the Texas big 4 (D, Houston, Austin, SA) but the prices are rising. They build much more affordable housing here because half this city is involved in the military and the military pay scale will only go so high. But in D and Austin and many areas in Houston, price of housing is skyrocketing because retirees with deep pockets from the north are coming down and just raising the prices everywhere. Hell, half the country is trying to get into Houston because it is one of the few areas left in the US with any kind of significant job growth. Prices are going up here in short.

BigCatDaddy
04-23-2014, 08:52 PM

Double it up. Generation AA

BigCatDaddy
04-23-2014, 08:56 PM
The important thing is what are their stances on 3somes.