PDA

View Full Version : NFBT: Any guitarists out there?

Pages : [1] 2

nmt1
03-05-2002, 01:42 PM
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?

talcool1
03-05-2002, 01:57 PM
if cash is an issue i would pass on the electric, don't forget you will also have the cost of an amp and patch cords. find yourself a good acoustic and learn basic cord structure on it first. when you can play it well, then get your electric and you'll be able to smoke that sucker. hit some pawn shops and see what you can find and oh yea practice practice practice.

ChiTown
03-05-2002, 02:08 PM
Try an old Lotus or something like that. If money is an issue, stay away from the Fender; you'll just be taunting yourself.;)

But, talcool is right. Initially, buy yourself a decent acoustic guitar and just start learning the chords. After you have gotten the feel for the chords, start trying to play notes (that's really no fun if you are teaching yourself). Mastering the note playing is the key to becoming a good guitarist, IMO

If you have a good ear, play some CD's with good guitar rif's that you like and try and play them back. This, IMO, is the best way to teach yourself how to play. Learn the basic's, try and play back what you hear, and practice. Once you get good at that, treat yourself to nice Fender Strat and start wailing on that bad boy:D

Chiefnj
03-05-2002, 02:09 PM
Fender makes some fine inexpensive guitars that will fit your needs. You can get a small, cheap amp for $50.

Go to a guitar store and strum some of the guitars that are in your price range. Pick one that feels comfortable in your hands. The neck of the guitar differs with each make, some may be too fat for your liking, you just might not feel comfortable with it.

Rausch
03-05-2002, 02:25 PM
I just bought an el-cheapo out of a Sears catalog. Actually, a USED el-cheapo that someone else bought from Sears and then later sold to me.

I know three cords. I don't need a frek'n fender....;)

nmt1
03-05-2002, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I've been taking private lessons for a month and a half. I know some chords and am working with a minor pentatonic scale right now. Still have trouble switching between the chords but it's coming along.
I'm currently practicing on an acoustic with nylon strings. The fretboard is pretty wide which is good for me b/c my fingers are thick. My teacher has told me basically the same thing about learing on the acoustic. I want to wail so bad though. Money isn't really that bad, just can't afford to spend a grand. I guess my question is would it be worth it to get a Fender or Ibanez for a couple of hundred bucks?

headsnap
03-05-2002, 03:08 PM
I have been giggin' out steady now for the last 11 years and my favorite guitar can be had for $149 brand new! :D

I highly recommend this electric, it came perfectly set-up out of the box. I currently have 9 guitars, (1 seagull acoustic, 2 strats, 1 jackson, 1 kramer, 1 samic, 1 charvel, 1 ibanez, 1 danelectro) and the Dano is by far my favorite. the style is similar to that of the Mosrite guitar that the Ventures used in the 60's. A great range of tone with the pickups, (they actually sound more 'strat' than my real ones:D )

check it out
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=020305125432209086044155530180/search/g=home/detail/base_id/45939

nmt, I need to take care of the kids, I will get back with you on this...

Bob Dole
03-05-2002, 03:13 PM
The Hamer models used to be good equipment at an affordable price, but that was 6 or 7 years back. It all may have changed by now.

headsnap
03-05-2002, 03:16 PM
also, check out Musicians Friend scratch-n-dents...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=020305125432209086044155530180/content/g=home/info/doc_id=79685

Pennywise
03-05-2002, 03:17 PM
Check out www.musiciansfriend.com

Its a good place to start and a great catalog to have next to the shitter...

You can call them also at 1-800-776-7173 (I think)...and they will mail you one in like 2 days or something.

Get the free catalog and shop around. Its a great company. This will give you a feel for whats out there blah blah and how much shite costs. Compare any music store prices to theirs before you buy. ALWAYS chew the store down. Even if its a buck. NEVER PAY WHAT IS ON THE TAG! Make them earn it and do not get intimidated.

Ibanez's are pretty decent guitars. I have an RG470. You can get a Fender cheap if you shop around. I agree that some of them are really high, but the Mexican-Squire strats are cool and sound decent enough. Its the same parts-components (wood and all I think) as the American strats, they are just assembled in Mexico. Ephiphones are Gibson copies if you want a cheaper les paul copy-clone. Carvin also has a good catalog and you can assemble your own or talk with a tech. www.carvin.com

Check out some pawnshops also...Go in search of the good deal my friend.

An amp and effects are also issues...Pedals, or a processor and all that other shite. You got to have distortion dude. ESPECIALLY if you are a beginner. Distortion is a must. Once again, check MusiciansFriend or "the friend" as my buddy says.

I was reading a brochure about Line 6 amps today while waiting for a haircut. They are an amp and effect processor all rolled into one. The Port and POD thing are cool. The whole amp simulation-emulation thing.

www.line6.com

Chris Meck
03-05-2002, 03:39 PM
A cheap acoustic is probably the most cost effective (and endearing to neighbors)way to go. There are a lot of acoustics that are decent in the $200 range- I'd recommend the entry level Yamahas for that, they seem to be the best quality at that level. Also the Takamine's.
Don't forget to also purchase a cheap tuner-that's critical. If you can't tune the thing, everything sounds awful and then you'll be too demoralized to practice.
However, if'n you want to ROCK, I'd recommend the Squier series by Fender, they're decent and cheap-I think they make a package deal with amp and guitar and cord for like $230 or so.
Hope that helps.
Chris
who, by the way, is a pro.

Bwana
03-05-2002, 04:52 PM
I play a mean "air guitar." Does that count?

DaneMcCloud
03-05-2002, 05:18 PM
How much money do you want to spend, and what kind of music are you wanting to play? If you want to play rock, jazz or alt rock, buying an acoustic guitar is the wrong decision, because as a beginner, you won't get the satisfaction of playing that type of music and you may get bored and not pursue it any further. I wouldn't suggest buying a guitar/amp combo from a catalog or over the internet because you won't know how they feel, sound or look, and they are never setup (action, frets, etc). My recommendation would be to go to a Guitar Center, Sam Ash or Mars with a specific set price in mind, then find something you're comfortable with in your price range. Good luck!

htismaqe
03-05-2002, 05:20 PM
My first guitar I paid $70 for at Sears. You don't need anything special when you're first learning, but make sure it FEELS good in your hand...

I personally play custom-made Washburn BT8...

Archie F. Swin
03-05-2002, 08:37 PM
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/images/spacer.gif

I'm not a bonafide guitar player but I've perused some local stores and asked questions. the Ibanez AX series seems to be one of the best deals goin in the market of entry level guitars. Great looks, competitive price. If you live in a small town or city, you may want to do some research on prices before you consider makin' a purchase in a mom & pop store. If you can shop at a major chain store like Guitar Center they will likely have some great deals. Since I live in a town of 10,000 . . . I do most of my major instrument purchases through mail order or online. Subsequently, I've saved hunderds of dollars

One of my personal faves is Interstate Musican Supply out of Milwaukee.
www.interstatemusic.com

good luck . . . when you decide to take up drums, give me a holler

nmt1
03-05-2002, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I could try one out at Mars, where I take lessons, and then buy it online. I don't live in a small town but it seems like the prices on the net are better. Don't want to spend over $300 at this point.
Want to play rock, blues, and eventually classical. If anyone can suggest any techniques for practicing, I'd love to hear them too. Again, thanks for all your suggestions.
:toast:

Archie F. Swin
03-05-2002, 08:52 PM
http://www.interstatemusic.com/ims/ipf/185279.jpg

One problem you'll find amongst musicians and drummer's:rolleyes: . . . is overwhelming brand loyalty. It's almost as bad as the Ford, chevy and dodge thing. Chances are, any guitar players' opinon is going to be skewed toward the brand he or she uses. beware

nmt1
03-05-2002, 08:53 PM
Pants:

I'll keep that in mind. I guess I should try them out for comfort and sound to see which one I like best.

Stuckinbama
03-05-2002, 09:29 PM
If you're just learning to play, go with an acoustic guitar, find a good teacher, and learn your chords.

When you feel ready to move up to an electric, stay away from the new Fenders. The new ones are a piece of JUNK!

I have a 1963 Stratocaster - great guitar, but it's worth a king's ransom as a collector's piece.

PRIEST
03-05-2002, 09:38 PM
Cool another picker .For a first guitar I would go with something that feel's the best and not worry about brand's at this point feel is whats gonna keep you pickin.

1 ESP kh-2
1 Kramer
1 Jackson

splatbass
03-05-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Chief Red Pants
http://www.interstatemusic.com/ims/ipf/185279.jpg

One problem you'll find amongst musicians and drummer's:rolleyes: . . . is overwhelming brand loyalty. It's almost as bad as the Ford, chevy and dodge thing. Chances are, any guitar players' opinon is going to be skewed toward the brand he or she uses. beware

You are right, which is why I recommend the Fender Stratocaster or the Epiphone Les Paul depending on which sound you are looking for...:D Really, though, you should learn a little about guitars, pickups, etc. before you decide. Depending on the style of music you may want a guitar with humbucking pickups or one with single coil pickups. If you don't know the difference, don't buy until you do! You don't want to spend money on a guitar that won't give you the sound you are looking for. For example, for heavy metal, hard rock or most alternative rock you probably want humbucking pickups. If you want to sound like Clapton or Stevie Ray you probably want single coil. If you want to play country you definately want single coil. Do your homework and find out what your favorite guitar players are using before you buy. I play guitar, but am primarily a bass player, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt....

Since we are on the subject, I would like to take the opportunity to shamelessly plug my band. Here is the link...

www.geocities.com/splatbass/showdown.html

Brock
03-05-2002, 11:37 PM
I've played classical guitar for about 12 years, and I'd have to say that electric is much easier to learn how to play for fun. But I wouldn't spend much on a first guitar.

Arrowhead
03-06-2002, 12:05 AM
I just bought a guitar on Sunday from a pawn shop here in Austin. I took a friend with me who knew a little about guitars and that was a big help. I spent some time cleaning it up and now I can't stay away from it. So far I can play the beginning to kashmir and day tripper (beginner level stuff). I guess you just have to do your research.

mcan
03-06-2002, 01:25 AM
NMT1-

I spent 3 years of my life selling guitars to people exactly like you. I wasn't commissioned or anything like that so really perk up your ears and listen... So actually, I AM an expert.

First thing- Get the hell out of Mars. Thier lessons are cookie cutter and expensive. Are you at the Mars in Olathe? That's one of the worst, and it's so close to two other places that give better (cheaper) lessons. #1 is Johnson County Community College. It has a privite lesson for $150.00 per semester. And #2 Spencer's Music Room (my old job) has lessons for around $50-$60 per month. At Spencers, I recommend John Sheverbush as a great newbie teacher. Never Ever take a guitar class. Only take private lessons.

Second- Get the guitar you will WANT to practice on. Anyone that tells you to play something because it's better for you is lying or biased. If you want to be a rocker, learn on electric. If you want to play Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan grab an accoustic. If you want to play flemenco and madrigals, grab a classical.

Third- Get a guitar that you know isn't what is wrong. Let me explain. Most pawn shop or Sears guitars are nothing more than toys or are broken in some way. If anything good does hit the shelf at a pawn shop, it is gone in less than half an hour because the pawn shop people call the guitar stores. Only the CRAP hits the shelf. Newbie guitar players buy them, and when they can't learn, they assume "they just suck." The truth is, your guitar is impossible for Eric Clapton to play on because the action or intonation is always off. A guitar can look perfect to an untrained or amature eye, but play like total sh!t. It's cheap, and a waste of money. A good rule of thumb is, a good acoustic is gonna run you around $200.00 minimum, and a good electric is gonna run around $150.00 minimum. Then you have to buy an amp ($50-100) and cables. But if you CAN, it's good to drop around twice those prices to buy something that isn't strictly for beginners. That way, you won't have to buy something new again right away.

Fourth- Don't be fooled by sister companies. If you buy a Sigma, it isn't a Martin. If you buy a Squire, it isn't a Fender. Someone earlier on this thread said they were the same but assembled in a different country, and he couldn't be any further from the truth. Salesmen use this to sell you junk. You get what you pay for. Squires are almost as bad as Sears guitars. They are distributed by and modeled after Fenders, but are entirely different.

Fifth- Don't get something too big for you. Specifically, don't buy the fancy twelve string even though you like it. Don't buy an electric with a Floyd Rose on it. You won't be able to tune it properly. Don't get a "dobro."

Sixth- Practice at least a little bit every day. Most people will tell you what to practice and for how long, but I find that too many people end up trying to fill a quota of practice time and never really enjoy the instrument. Plus, if you're trying to practice a half hour a day, you think "well I'll just practice an hour on thursday and skip it today." This doesn't work well. Just keep picking it up and playing whatever. At least look at it and play a note before you go to bed. Even 30 seconds of practice a day will help. (and i'm not kidding).

As Splat said, you want to pay attention to what kind of pickups are on the guitar. Look at the Ibanez below. That guitar has two pickups (the black things under the strings). Each pickup on that guitar is made up of two smaller pickups called single coils. When you take two single coils and put them together you make a double coil or what is commenly called a "humbucker." This guitar has two humbuckers on it. This is usually better for heavy rock, although that isn't a hardened rule. If you look at a typical Fender Strat, you will see not two, but THREE single coils, and no humbuckers. This usually gives a better clean tone for blues or country. Although, again, that isn't a rule as Hendrix played a strat. But you hear how much feedback and extra noise he had going on? That is the byproduct of a single coil and distortion. I recommend sommething like this Ibanez or the RG series to all newbies. Just don't buy something with a Floyd Rose untill you've been playing for a couple years. (ask the salesperson what it is cause this post is already too long).

Anyway, good luck in finding that guitar, and if you ever need any advice or help. Or if you want my opinion on a brand or model feel free to email or smoke signal me.

mcan- (misses his old job)
mmccann2333@hotmail.com

Phobia
03-06-2002, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by splatbass
Since we are on the subject, I would like to take the opportunity to shamelessly plug my band. Here is the link...

Cool - I take it that you are the old goateed fellow. You and me both.

Feel free to offer my phone number to the band hottee at any time.... ;)

Looks like you get some cool gigs there - I've been in that E-club before.

splatbass
03-06-2002, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by KPhobia

Cool - I take it that you are the old goateed fellow. You and me both.

Feel free to offer my phone number to the band hottee at any time.... ;)

Looks like you get some cool gigs there - I've been in that E-club before.

Yep, I'm the old goateed guy.... as far Tianna, band members get first shot at her...:D Now if I could just get rid of my wife and her boyfriend...... j/k... We love playing the military clubs, always a lot of fun (well the enlisted clubs anyway, officer's clubs tend to be boring...).

Abba-Dabba
03-06-2002, 04:30 AM
as far Tianna

I can't say anything..my girlfriend looks on here from time to time. Yummmy........Damn IT!!!!!! :banghead:

nmt1
03-06-2002, 07:24 AM
What do you guys think of this one? Two single coils and one humbucker.

http://www.music123.com/Item/Item.asp?po=IGSA60JB&uid=

splatbass
03-06-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by nmt1
What do you guys think of this one? Two single coils and one humbucker.

http://www.music123.com/Item/Item.asp?po=IGSA60JB&uid=

Looks like a pretty good guitar for a beginner. The pickup configuration is a good compromise, giving you a lot of versatility. Ibanez makes good instruments, so the quality is good for the price range. A good choice.

headsnap
03-06-2002, 09:00 AM
nmt1, that Ibenhad (oops, Ibanez:D ) looks like a good beginner, that can take you further. I liked my Ibanez until my lead singer jumped on it and broke the neck (long story)grr

musicians friend has that with a gig bag for $229 i think.

you next will need an effects unit, and I recommend a Zoom 505. It has all of the distortions, delays, ghorus/flange, reberbs, etc... that you will need. You should be able to get one of these on ebay for about $60.

ebay search-zoom 505
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=zoom+505

I will get back at ya with an amp.;)

nmt1
03-06-2002, 09:13 AM
I'm looking pretty hard at the Ibanez models. Hope they have one at Mars that I can look at.

Headsnap:

Not sure what the effects unit does. Can you explain that a little? Thanks in advance.

Pennywise
03-06-2002, 09:28 AM
Jump on it man. Thats a cool deal for a starter.

Take that advice and check MF and get one with a bag. You can stuff your drugs-strings-picks-music and etc in there. Something you can sling on your shoulder as opposed to just carrying your guitar around and looking like a goof, especially on your way to guitar lessons...

Effects are cool. You can make that guitar sound like whatever... and the amp too.

Or decent enough anyway.

I dig Zoom. I was gonna get one of those little hand held effects bastards some time ago and didn't

Shopping for an amp...(later on down the gear purchasing road)
is just as hard as looking for a guitar. With the whole watt and speaker combinations, tube or solid state decisions you will have to make. Have fun with that shit or just go buy one. It always fun especially when you get the green light (by yourself or the old lady) to spend $...One of the few things I will actually freaking shop for...

There all plenty of amps on the cheap end though. Ill post a link if I find one too. How loud are you planning on playing?

Archie F. Swin
03-06-2002, 09:33 AM
nice lookin' axe . . I really dig the contoured body . . . kind of a PRS thing goin.

nmt1
03-06-2002, 09:39 AM
Pennywise:

Not planning on playing real loud yet. I live in an apartment with reed thin walls. I have to practice there. Any amp suggestions you could make would be cool.

Pants:

Not sure about the color but I think I can get it in black or something. Forgive my stupidity but what does PRS stand for?

Pennywise
03-06-2002, 09:43 AM
I will man. I lived on the 4th floor in a housing area in Germany. I would drink like a half a rack of Heineken and play. Sometimes I got a little out of hand and to loud.

The ladies in the building would not let their children look at me.

MP's knocked on the door on more than one occasion. So I understand the apartment vibe.

Paul Reed Smith dude.

nmt1
03-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Again, forgive my stupidity. Who's Paul Reed Smith?

philfree
03-06-2002, 09:51 AM
I have a cool guitar! Can't play it but I have it. It's a Bentley... It has hollow body but it's also electric.The pickup is inside and it works with a 9 volt battery. It's probably considered junk by real enthusiast but to me it's cool.

PhilFree:arrow:

Pennywise
03-06-2002, 09:54 AM
http://www.prsguitars.com/

One of the dudes that started the company (Ted McCarty) used to work for Gibson. He was on the whole Les Paul wave or something.

If you wanted to drop a little more. There is a Santanna SE (I think) PRS for $475. Really nice. Lower end price range for their guitars. Check out the higher end though.

nmt1
03-06-2002, 09:59 AM
I was in the midst of looking PRS on the net when you posted. Those look really nice.

headsnap
03-06-2002, 10:09 AM
nmt1, if I get a chance, I will post some samples of the zoom 505, and it's effects sounds this afternoon.

the cool thing about an all-in-one effects unit is that you can use it as a headphone amp. you could also plug it into your computers sound in and use your computer as an amp until you get a real one.

Pennywise
03-06-2002, 10:10 AM
http://www.prsguitars.com/

One of the dudes that started the company (Ted McCarty) used to work for Gibson. He was on the whole Les Paul wave or something.

If you wanted to drop a little more. There is a Santanna SE (I think) PRS for $475. Really nice. Lower end price range for their guitars. Check out the higher end though.

nmt1
03-06-2002, 10:19 AM
Headsnap:

Plugging it into the computer or using headphones would be perfect for my apartment situation. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Pennywise
03-06-2002, 10:45 AM
http://www.songworks.com/index1.htm

These amps caught my eye a few years ago. A little on the high end for a practice amp and Im not saying you need one... but I really dig them and think they look cool, especially if you only need a small amp. Mermaids are cool too, except you are limited to blowjobs till you dry her off. Otherwise you get scaly. Thats their logo on the front...

They have gotten some really good reviews and I dig the lunchbox design. Its also an all tube amp.

Playing through headphones using a processor is cool too. Good advice even. So only YOU can hear what you are doing. And you can play along to a metronome or MP3 blah blah and it wont be so spacey sounding like trying to play with the stero in the living room. If that shite made sense. I should do some work today. Guitar threads are just too damn cool.

nmt1
03-06-2002, 10:53 AM
Pennywise:

Sorry I'm keeping you from work. I really appreciate all the information and links. Trying to soak up all the info I can right now.

Chris Meck
03-06-2002, 11:16 AM
These are all good suggestions. Of course, I'm skewed towards Fenders, as I own and play a pair of 1972 Fender Telecasters. One a thinline with P-90's, one standard. (of course, that info is aimed at the other geetar players on the board, not to you nmt1)

As far as amps go, you might look at some of the smaller amps that have a headphone jack on them, if you live in an apartment.

By the way, since other folks are posting their bands, I might as well add mine. I play lead guitar for Kristie Stremel's band, just in case anyone wants to look,
www.kristiestremel.com

Chris

headsnap
03-06-2002, 11:26 AM
my shameless plug

bighead
http://www.365degrees.com/bighead
the site is woefully out of date (I spend too much time on the planet)

check out the video for "Black Stack Shoes". This was filmed as a 'pilot' for a tv show called "Backstage Pass" that was being shopped to VH1. The Idea for the show was to go around the country and film live performances of local bands. Vh1 obviously did not buy the show.:rolleyes:
http://www.365degrees.com/bighead/black.html
video in .mov format.

I'm guitar in a Techno/electronica/Industrial band (I'm the one with hair:D )

I will get you those samples when I get a chance to 'plug' the guitar in...

Pennywise
03-06-2002, 11:47 AM
I checked the plugs out. Really cool. Meck, I dig your bio. There are some funny lines in there. Its cool you dude are living the life and actually get to play on stage.

"The son of a guitar player (who wishes his father had kept some of those old guitars), Meck often slept in front of the amplifiers when band practice went past his bedtime."

I bet he did give away some gems. You mean to tell me the
Army isnt as fun as playing guitar? The Army is as about as fun as sawing one of your balls off with a rusty car key, or canned good lid. Perspective wise that is...

Oh, I am also a fan of the P90. Aren't they in the older Gibson LP Goldtops too?

Chris Meck
03-06-2002, 12:08 PM
Pennywise,

thanks, glad you dig.

Yeah, the army was boring. It'd have been alright if they'd let me go to jump school and stuff, but this was immediately post gulf war and they were cutting back on that stuff. So I got out as soon as I could.

P-90's were the original Gibson pickup, humbuckers weren't invented yet. Humbuckers were invented solely for the purpose of "bucking" the single coil noise ("hum") that is present in those pickups.

I remember my dad having: a '59 strat, a couple of '50's telecasters, a '62 SG, a '64 Jazzmaster, a beautiful old Gibson Hummingbird, and a Gibson J-50. If I had access to all those guitars now, I'd be a very happy man.
chris

talcool1
03-06-2002, 12:08 PM
I to would recommend the zoom 505 effects pedal, and yea I play through my computer when I don't want to bother the neighbors, it works great. as far as what a effect pedal does it gives you that dirt or the distortion for playing rock.

Pennywise
03-06-2002, 01:07 PM
Those were some cool guitars. I bet it does hurt to think about them. DON'T. Let it be man if it hurts too bad. I got a LP stolen by a carpenter dude working on our house and I still get a little weepy when I think about it. Like now. I did the jump school thing. It was ok and I feel lucky I got the chance to go and be a part that scene. If you are gonna be in that shite, do it with your hair on fire.

Don't get me wrong. Its not as cool as having a band or being in a band...You lucky bastards. That chick looked allright. I dig the hat.

I was in an electronics shop in the army blah blah. One of my buddies (radio repairmen) and I bought that book (build your own effects ) and made a few "pedals". This was pre-Internet so you had to have the book. Its really easy. No Boss or DOD quality but something to do at work while your on Uncle Sams time. You can get all the shite from radio shack (cheeseboard & components) or order it, or rob from UnkSammy and just follow the schematics in the book. A little soldering and whammo, your own cheesy ass little overdrive-distortion stompbox. Its much like my playing, it only sounded good to me.

They didnt sound all that great (actually like shite), but I still have one of them. You want to talk about noise (the bad kind)...Id like to let you play through one. Its funny.

Phobia
03-06-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Chris Meck
By the way, since other folks are posting their bands, I might as well add mine. I play lead guitar for Kristie Stremel's band, just in case anyone wants to look,
www.kristiestremel.com

Cool! I really liked your sound. When are y'all coming to Houston? I'll come out - I'm sure you'd get some guys to the Austin shows, too. Make sure you post some threads prior to the shows.

headsnap
03-06-2002, 01:37 PM
lets see if these work...

guitar Danelectro Innuendo (new for $149)

Zoom 505 $40-$60 on ebay) direct into computer.

I didn't have a stereo patch cord, so these are in mono

distortion (http://www.365degrees.com/dist1.mp3)
distortion with flange (http://www.365degrees.com/distflange.mp3)
lead (http://www.365degrees.com/lead.mp3)
clean (http://www.365degrees.com/clean.mp3)
clean lead (http://www.365degrees.com/cleanlead.mp3)

enjoy.

Phobia
03-06-2002, 01:37 PM
Hey - I really liked "You'll Never Know" (http://www.kristiestremel.com/kristie/music/ynk.mp3)

kcfanintitanhell
03-06-2002, 02:49 PM
I'm just a lowly 5-string bass player, feelin kinda left out...anybody actually play bass on this thread?

:

( And now for the shameless plug-

http://www.goosecreeksymphony.com

nmt1
03-06-2002, 02:52 PM
Headsnap:

That's pretty cool. That's something I think I would want to play around with after I got a little better.

mcan
03-07-2002, 12:49 AM
NMT1-
Hey did you get my smoke signal? I'll be glad to compile a list of guitars that will be good if you provide a price range, and a list of bands that you like or sounds that you dig. Don't be afraid to say whatever, I'll try to find the best thing around. Keep in mind that you'll still have to get an amp or effects box.

BTW-
If you buy anything from Zoom, be forwarned that their stuff is prone to breaking. Especially thier older stuff. (it was plastic and now its a cheap looking alloy). The 505 has a lot of cool effects, but those wear pretty thin after awhile. It's also not very user friendly as far as editing and singling out one effect. You are pretty much stuck to the 50 or so preset effects. Not a BAD unit, but again, I'm biased and like a single distortion pedal, or a single delay. If you get one make sure you get one of the newer models. (the old ones were REALLY bad- they used AA batteries and were plastic. The new ones are stronger and use 9 volt) You should have REVERB on your amp.

splatbass
03-07-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by kcfanintitanhell
I'm just a lowly 5-string bass player, feelin kinda left out...anybody actually play bass on this thread?

:

( And now for the shameless plug-

http://www.goosecreeksymphony.com

I do, I guess you missed my earlier post. Play mostly 4 string now, but I still keep a couple of 5 strings around for when I need them... Currently play in a country band, I'll post my shameless plug again....

Chris Meck
03-07-2002, 03:40 AM
Actually Kphobia,
We'll be in Houston next week-or March 15th, that is-at Fitzgerald's.
We're in Texas all that week, centered around some showcases at the SXSW music festival in Austin.
Here's a lowdown, for anyone interested:
Tues. March 12-Denton, TX at Mable Peabodies
Wed. March13-The Galaxy, Dallas, TX
Thurs.March 14 Women in Rock showcase, Borders-Austin TX
Fri.March15th (afternoon) Slewfoot Records Showcase
Fri.March15th (evening)Fitzgeralds, Houston TX
Sat.March16th (my 30th birthday, by the way :( ) Opal Divine's Freehouse, Austin TX.

Thanks for your interest.
By the way, a good buddy of mine from High School is a Gunnery Sergeant in the Corps, Roy Sims. But he's based in San Diego, I think.
Chris

nmt1
03-07-2002, 07:08 AM
mcan:

Got your smoke and replied. I see your messages are around 2am. I'm always in la la land by then.

Phobia
03-07-2002, 07:30 AM
Chris,
I'll probably be there. The only potential prob I see is that next week is my kid's spring break so if something comes up, it has to do w/ them. Looks like there will be several bands there Friday. Seeya then!

I'm not in the Corps any longer, but if I were, I'd probably be a Gunny or Master Sgt by now - I'd be about 5 years from retirement - hehe. I just turned 31 a few days ago. I remember the big 3-0 all too well.

headsnap
03-07-2002, 08:50 AM
I will have to disagree with mcan with respect to Zoom. The 505 might be light and feel cheap, for a beginner that is not going to be throwing the thing around on stages around the country it's fine. Who needs batteries when you can plug the thing into the wall.:rolleyes: Yes, the individual effects are not as customizable as a professional would want, they are more that enough for a beginner, and the price is right. I purchased my 505 for practice purposes a few years ago and it has held up great. My main 'stage' effects unit is a rackmount Zoom 9150 that I purchased when they were released in 94. From the period of 1994-2001, we played an average of 115 dates a year (thats 805 shows), and the only problem with the unit was a solder point on the midi input. I have since bought a backup on ebay just to be safe, seven years is a long time, especially when you spend alot of time in the back of a box van.

there are tons of websites with patches for the 505 too.
like this one
http://www.safaricomputers.com/505/

nmt1, if you wasn to see some reviews of the products, go to www.harmonycentral.com.

review of Ibanez GSA 60
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Ibanez/GSA60-01.html

Pennywise
03-07-2002, 09:30 AM
Instructions on how NOT to hold a guitar and fake playing one cause you think you are cool.

nmt1
03-07-2002, 09:34 AM
Headsnap:

I read all the posted reviews for the Ibanez. Overall, it seems to get good ratings. I'll see if Mars has one when I go tonight.

mcan
03-08-2002, 01:29 AM
Headsnap-
When the 505 first came out, we had about 10% of them come back for warrenty claims. Later, Zoom caught on and seemed to fix the problem, so it isn't as bad as it used to be. Then, we had a Zoom drum machine go bad, and we sent it back to the company for warrenty work, and they sent it back without fixing it saying nothing was wrong. We looked and it obviously wasn't working properly. We sent it back again. Then they sent it back to us with a little note saying they were sorry and they fixed the problem. (It wasn't fixed). We gave the guy a refund and sent the machine back for good.

KCWolfman
03-08-2002, 01:31 AM
I have a Guild electric and a Ibanez 12 string acoustic.

I am self taught, not very good, but enjoy the therapy greatly.

mcan
03-08-2002, 01:38 AM
Here's the first one that caught my eye. I'm not going in any particular order here though.

http://ibanez.com/guitars/sc/models/SC420bc.jpg

This is the Ibanez S series. Specifically the S Classic series. (the SC420) I own one of the S series guitars from the early ninties, (S470) and this one is better than mine. The old ones were heavy and had a "flutter" tremelo. This one has a stop tail piece (the chrome where the strings meet the body). You will definately want a stop tail piece. Remember: NO FLOYD ROSE FOR BEGINNERS.

You should be able to find this one for around $600-$700. The hard case will run another $50-$90.

The pickups on this are the V1 and V2 humbuckers that Ibanez puts on some of thier middle range guitars. They are beefy, and tightly wound magnets that will put out a lot of sound. The neck is the Wizard neck that most people say plays pretty fast. It is slightly wider at the base than at the nut (the headstock). That makes is feel better in your hand. The body is extremely thin and light, making it feel great against your body (esp if you have a bit of a gut).

This guitar also has better than average tuners, craftsmanship, wood, and a five way switch (to get more tones out of just two pickups). Some guitars only have a three way switch. The switch decides which pickup the guitar is using.

Here's the link
http://ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SC420

The drawbacks are few, but some people think the guitar is too thin. There are those that feel like the guitar is too close to thier body and don't like the feel of it while sitting.

Another thing to check is where the guitar is made. Ibanez has factories all over. Most of thier guitars are made in Korea. This isn't all bad, as the Koreans are union and make decent stuff, but the best Ibanez stuff is made in Japan. I believe this model is Japanese. If you look closely at the back of the headstock, there is usually a "made in..." written in small black, white, or grey. Try to go Japanese if you can. Avoid: Indoneisia, Mexico, China, Thailand, etc... These guitars are made by people working for rice with the worst meterials.

If you like this one, but it's a bit pricey, you can always go one step down to the SCA220. It's similar, also made in Japan, but doesn't have the "wizard" neck and has slightly lesser pickups (the V6 pickups). It Runs about $100 less ($450-$600)

mcan
03-08-2002, 01:45 AM
http://ibanez.com/s/insets/edge_w-piezo.gif

I just wanted to give you an idea what the FLOYD ROSE tail peice looks like and brief description.

The Floyd Rose tremelo (floating bridge) is a tremelo that is NOT set against the body. It is balanced by springs and the strings and kept flat by equalling out the tension between the two. This is valuable for people who do dive bombs, or who want maximum sustain (how long you can hold out a note). It's a kick a$$ thing, but it's also a pain in the a$$. Beginners should avoid these like the plague. The picture here, also has peizo's built in so the guitar can simulate the sound of an accoustic. Another great feature and inovation by Ibanez, but still, not for the beginner. Ibanez calls thier floating bridge tremelos "the edge" tremelos. So if someone tries to sell you one, you'll know what they are talking about. Don't get one.

mcan
03-08-2002, 02:54 AM
Here's one that is a little better on the pocketbook.
http://ibanez.com/guitars/ax/models/AX125bk.jpg

It's the AX series. Specifically the AX125. I put this one on here because it has a hip shot, but we'll get to that later.

This here guitar runs around $300.

This is a nicer version of the AX120. Both are made in Korea, but that's not all bad. They are both very simplistic, and advertised as everything you need without all that stuff that you don't. I find that interesting, since it's one of the few guitars out there with these weird features like a hip shot, and they also make a "7 string" version. BTW- don't get a 7 string.

The pickups (ah3, ah4) are not much more than decent, but they are humbuckers, and will distort well.

The "hipshot" is the long chrome thing on the body near the low E string. It is designed for those who want to down tune thier low E string (usually to D). You just flip the swich and it's already there. You flip it back and it's back to E. No stopping and tuning. Great if you want to play Creed tunes. :D Actually, one of the first guitars to carry a hip shot was Eddie Van Halen's personal guitar the "Wolfgang." If you don't like the "hipshot" idea, you can just get the AX120. If you want a nicer one without the hipshot, there is a version out there with a quilted maple top. (AX220QM) It looks beautiful, but isn't much better of a guitar and runs an extra $100. There is also a "Prestige" model, (AX1220) that is made in Japan and is decked out with all the niceness that you can imagine. It probably runs around $1,000 or more. :(

mcan
03-08-2002, 03:34 AM
Here's the RG series.

http://ibanez.com/guitars/rg/models/RG421bk.jpg

This is the RG421. It's pretty much the only RG that Ibanez makes that has a fixed bridge. All the rest have some kind of floating bridge, and you really don't want to go that route. Well, they make one other one, but it's really cheap. It's the RG170, that you can play untill you realize it sucks, then turn it into a lamp.

Anyway, the RG has a great body, and this is no exception. It is smooth and has great contours that are comfortable on stage or in a lesson or practice atmosphere (sitting). Again, the pickups on this one are the V7 and V8 humbuckers that Ibanez likes to throw on their middle of the road guitars. I believe this one is Japanese, but I can't seem to find this information, and I don't have one sitting next to me, so you'll have to do a little leg work. Regardless, I've sold many of these, and one of my friends has one. Actually, he had a differant guitar (more expensive) and he traded for this one because he wanted a fixed bridge (as opposed to the floyd rose he had). Well, I told him that in the first place, but nobody listens to me... :rolleyes:

The neck is the "Wizard II," and although I think it's a bit weird to have a sequal to a guitar neck, this one is really flat, really thin, and really smooth, which means... When you get there, this guitar will play very fast too. It feels great whether you're chording or playing that pentatonic stuff further down the neck.

Pretty much all the pieces to this guitar are better than average, and it can be a great guitar that you won't have to upgrade right away. And, as with any guitar, you can always buy better pickups and have someone throw them in there. After a few years of learning, you may want to put some dimarzios in this one to give it a bit more crunch, but I doubt you'll even hear the differance right now.

You can find this guitar for around $500.

nmt1
03-08-2002, 06:27 AM
I think I'm sold on Ibanez. Those axes are sweet. Just a matter of finding one to try out. BTW, I do want to play Creed tunes.

mcan
03-08-2002, 07:28 AM
I think I'm sold on Ibanez. Those axes are sweet. Just a matter of finding one to try out. BTW, I do want to play Creed tunes.

That's funny... I only bring that up, because my friends and I call Creed albums "More songs in 'd' minor." That hipshot is kinda cool, but it's not hard to down tune to D by ear. So, it's just for show mostly. Eddie did it so he could switch back and forth during the song. I doubt you or I could do most of that stuff.

For what it's worth, I think that RG is right up your alley. It's a shame that Ibanez doesn't make many fixed bridges, I wish I could give you more to choose from. If you play the S series and like it, than it really is worth the extra money. Just make sure you like the body style first. Personally, I love the thin body, I just don't play mine anymore. I play mostly acoustic, and blues so my guitar of preferance is my strat.

BTW-
I am a really big Ibanez fan. They are the most inovative guitar company out there, and they make fabulous instruments for a great price. They are distributed by a company called Hoshino. Hoshino also carries TAMA drums, which ironically is the most innovative percussion maker out there. They invented the double bass pedal!

Lzen
03-08-2002, 03:52 PM
mcan,
You're my hero. :) You seem to know a lot about guitars. I've been playing about 14 years and never knew they made a switch to do the "drop D" tuning. I can play a lot of Creed songs plus my band wrote everything in "drop D" tuning. I agree with you about the Floyd Rose tremelo. You should probably also explain that a little more.
nmt1,
The reason mcan is telling you to avoid a "floating" tremelo like the plague is because they can be a real bitch to get tuned. The bridge is balanced by springs and the strings and therefore when you tune one string, the others come out of tune a little bit because the tremelo gets off balance. It can be especially difficult for a beginner to try and tune. If 1 string breaks, the whole friggin' guitar is out of tune. I have a Floyd Rose II on my BC Rich Rich Bitch and I fought with that thing for years. I've got a Gibson Les Paul now and I couldn't be happier. I also have a Digitech RP 2000 effects processor. I like it because its got a lot of features and versatility. Of course, this may be a little more than what you're looking for. You may want to go with just a distortion pedal or even the Zoom. I would also recommend checking out the Pod Line 6. It seems to be a very poplular item now and I've heard good things about it.

P.S. I also have an Ibanez Gio(Fender Strat imitation) and a Yamaha folk acoustic. I play through a Rogue Tube Rider 100 watt half stack(good bang for the bucks).

P.S.S. I would recommend www.musiciansfriend.com . I've purchased a lot of equipment from them and they are very good. Plus, you can try it out and if you don't like it, you have 45 days to return it for a refund.

mcan
03-11-2002, 12:33 AM
Lzen, and to those other who will listen-

I have had much better luck with the digitech stuff. It's not that much more money, but it's a much better unit. I can't remember the exact #s, but the 2000 is like two steps up from an $80 model that is MUCH better than the Zoom 505. I believe it's like the RP100 or something like that. A good unit.

One thing I am biased against, but some people really like em, are the Line 6 amps. I guess I'm just a purist, but I believe that the effects sound better when they come from individual pedals instead of processors built into the amp. In fact, I think that individual pedals give better tone than even the most expensive processors. Personally, I use a Laney VC50 Tube amp with a crybaby wah and an Ibanez Tubescreamer. I have just about everything I need there, although I would like to get an analog delay pedal at some point.

Phobia
03-11-2002, 12:41 AM
Ok, I see all these ChiefsPlanet bands and I'm getting ready to spill the beans on something 37 Forever is preparing. I hope I'm not stepping on the toes of any of our committee members who have been pursuing this event....

We're in the initial planning stages to have a large charity concert within the next 4-5 months. We were approached by a gentleman that is familiar with the KC music scene and we're really interested.

My point is this - if any of the KC area bands are interesting in the exposure and tax writeoff from an event such as this, please drop me a note or head over to www.37forever.org/BB to tell us about your interest level.

Phil
President - 37 Forever Foundation
Phil.Kloster@37forever.org

htismaqe
03-11-2002, 08:25 AM
mcan,

I agree wholeheartedly...when the effects are built into the amp, what do you do when you want play WITHOUT the digital bias?

I have an old analog phaser, a Zoom reverb/delay unit, and a Wah pedal (the BEST effect bar none)...

FWIW, my BT8 has a standard bridge...no tremolo at all -- i find them annoying...

headsnap
03-11-2002, 09:06 AM
I will start this out by saying that I am not a 'purist', more like a non-traditional. :D

I also agree on the Line-6. I had one on loan for about two months from the local music store, and could not get a sound that I liked out of the damn thing. After that they loaned me the Johnson, which I thought was a little better, but not much. Both of those amps were open back 2-12 cabinets which I have found to produce a midrange frequency that gives me a headache(I admit that I might be to only one who thinks this.) One reason I like to keep the effects away from the amp, is that you then have more flexibility. I have not yet tried the Line-6 POD, which might sound better to me on my rig.

In the effects pedals vs. all-in-one units I will strongly vote for the all-in-one. I have done both, and will never go back to pedals. Whether you are a beginner or a professional, the convenience of the all-in-one cannot be beat. One power supply(or battery), vs. the pain of multiple boxes with their own battery and all the little cables hooking the damn things together. grr The main reason that I have been 'pimping' the 505 is that it is a low $ all-in-one that is best suited for the beginner, or practice setup. I would also agree with going with the Digitech units.

My current 'non-traditional' stage setup is the rackmount Zoom 9150 (with a 12AX7A tube in it, the distortion rocks:D ), run stereo into a Crate rackmount poweramp, stereo out to a marshall stereo 4x12 cabinet. Where I go total non-trad is that I run stereo direct out of the Zoom to the snake (no miking of the cabinet). I will admit I was a little sceptical of this when I first did it, but being that we are an 'electronic' band, I gave it a try. I get alot of compliments on the sound/tone that I get out of that setup. I run a yamaha foot controller thru midi to the Zoom. We did try with having the keyboardists computer sending all my patch changes, while that was cool not having to stomp on the foot unit to change patches, there is something said for having the control yourself.

can you tell that I like talking about guitar...

nmt1
03-11-2002, 09:18 AM
Headsnap:

I can tell you like talking about guitars and stuff. I'm enjoying the discussions b/c I'm learning a lot and it keeps me interested in practicing. Just wish I would've started a lot sooner in life.

htismaqe
03-11-2002, 09:24 AM
Headsnap,

If you're into having 150 preset effects at your toetips, then you're right. However, I don't want all that crap.

I guess I'm just a purist. I have a Crate all-tube (pre and post) amp and, except for the Zoom digital delay, all analog effects...

headsnap
03-11-2002, 09:32 AM
If you're into having 150 preset effects at your toetips, then you're right. However, I don't want all that crap.

I actually use only seven custom patches. When we do our 'cover' shows our song list ranges from 80's pop(Duran Duran, etc), to the Bee Gee's:D , to Lords of Acid, to Marylin Manson and Korn. I need the flexibility.

htismaqe
03-11-2002, 09:40 AM
You're sick dude.

Out of the 5 bands you listed, all of them would make my "worst of all time" list...

headsnap
03-11-2002, 09:47 AM
Thanks!

I've played worse! (Blister in the Sun, Brown Eyed Girl :Lin: )
actually, out of that list, the only one I like is Lords of Acid.

if I play it, it don't always mean I like it...

Lzen
03-12-2002, 11:24 AM
I'm with you headsnap,
I love the flexibility of my multi-effects processor. BTW, I only mentioned the Line 6 Pod because I had heard more than one good review on it. I've never actually tried it myself. Here's the Digitech RP100 that mcan was talking about:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=020312085154165201012212575434/search/g=home/detail/base_id/43520

KPhobia,
Man, I would love to have been able to do this charity gig but, my band broke up last summer. :( Ugghh! Lemme know when it happens so that at least I can come check it out.

Pennywise
03-13-2002, 01:36 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=&u=/nm/20020313/media_nm/guitars_1016046197

nmt1
03-13-2002, 01:55 PM
I wonder how many people would invest in them. I'd have to see some good numbers before jumping in. This last years ups and downs(mostly downs) in the market has got me being very cautious. From what I can tell, both companies make quality products. Would need to see the balance sheets.

headsnap
03-13-2002, 01:56 PM
well, since this topic is back...

I take great pride in the fact that during the last 10 years in gigging bands I have never played Pearl Jam, or :bang: CREED!!

nmt1
03-13-2002, 01:57 PM
Hey! I like Creed.

htismaqe
03-13-2002, 02:02 PM
snap,

My band didn't play covers and I certainly wouldn't play stuff I didn't like, even if the crowd wanted to hear it.

That's probably why we never had very many good gigs. :D

headsnap
03-13-2002, 02:10 PM
nmt1, read my sig line. IMHO that is directed more towards Creed than BackN'BrittneySYNC Boys.

Pennywise
03-13-2002, 02:18 PM
I wonder how many people would invest in them. I'd have to see some good numbers before jumping in. This last years ups and downs(mostly downs) in the market has got me being very cautious. From what I can tell, both companies make quality products. Would need to see the balance sheets.

I agree man. I just think it would be cool to have some stock in one or both companies. If anything it would be a good line to spout off in a music store "Give me a break-discount damnit, I am a stockholder!" chop chop

headsnap
03-13-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by PennyWise
I agree man. I just think it would be cool to have some stock in one or both companies. If anything it would be a good line to spout off in a music store "Give me a break-discount damnit, I am a stockholder!" chop chop

that didn't work when I bought my last Macintosh.:cuss:

nmt1
03-13-2002, 02:30 PM
Headsnap:

At least the guys in Creed actually play instruments. I don't think the music industry is underestimating the American public at all. If they were, these boy "bands" and singing supermodels wouldn't sell near as meany albums as they do. Granted, most of the purchases of these albums are probably parents trying to shut their kids up.

nmt1
03-18-2002, 08:32 PM
Hey guys, say hello to my new axe.

Got it tonight. It's an Ibanez SA160QMTG. Here's the link to Ibanez's web site.

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SA160QM&color=1

nmt1
03-18-2002, 08:36 PM
Here's another pic. It's not actually purple. It's the same color as the one in the link. The light makes it look purple for some reason.

Garcia Bronco
03-18-2002, 08:54 PM
Pretty cool. Lite body, thin, and thin neck. I have a 540R Joe Sat jewel blue. It's seen better days. Had it since 92.

Now I play a solid body 7-string with emg's Hatfield style.

nmt1
03-19-2002, 08:32 AM
Just bringing this up for the daytime guys. I'm so stoked about finally getting my axe.:)

Lzen
03-19-2002, 09:08 AM
Nice axe, dude. Just keep practicing every day and you'll see improvement in not time.

Pennywise
03-19-2002, 09:19 AM
Congrats man. That is a fine looking axe. Love the Ibanezs'

Keep the thread alive. You gotta get an amp (or something to play thru) now right?

nmt1
03-19-2002, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I do need to get an amp. Need to save some more cash. I'd appreciate suggestions on an amp if you guys have the time. I don't need anything real big or expensive, just something small to practice with. Thanks.

mcan
03-20-2002, 01:40 AM
Go ahead and play it unplugged untill you can buy a decent practice amp. I like the peavey Rage series with reverb, or the Laney Hardcore with reverb. These run around $100-$150. If you get one without reverb, you'll regret it later. The nice thing about the Laney is that even though it's just a 25 watter, you'll still get plenty of volume out of it, and can play with people. If you grab the crappy 10 watt amps, you'll be stuck borrowing other amps any time you want to "Jam" untill you can afford to get a bigger one.

Just like you took your time and educated yourself getting the guitar, don't be hasty to buy the first practice amp you see. If you take your time, and don't be too frugal, you can get a great practice amp that you'll play for the rest of your life. Even after you buy that huge Marshall stack, you'll be playing that little amp a lot, so don't blow it off thinking that it's just a stepping stone to something "better."

nmt1
05-01-2002, 08:40 AM
Hey guys, just got a Zoom 505 II yesterday. The effects are sweet.

headsnap
05-01-2002, 09:13 AM
Cool!

did you ever get an amp?

nmt1
05-01-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by headsnap
Cool!

did you ever get an amp?

Yeah, I got a small 10 watt Marshall. Nothing special but it works. Has phone out and CD line out jacks on it. I'll see if I can find a picture of it somewhere.

Lzen
05-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Can't go wrong with a Marshall. ;)

Chad,
wishes he had a Marshall. :(

nmt1
05-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Lzen

Chad,

It was only $70. They had a 15 watt model for $100. I thought about buying that but I figured if I'm gonna play for anyone, I'll just end up having to get a better one so why not get the cheaper one. It has really good sound and is pretty loud.

nmt1
05-01-2002, 10:03 AM
Here's the amp:

http://www.marsmusic.com/store/product_template.jhtml?catid=&prodid=prod870272&primarySkuId=sku1280151

headsnap
05-01-2002, 10:21 AM

Chad,

what do you have in your rig?

Pennywise
05-01-2002, 10:29 AM
you are dangerous now man...

i bet that little bastard will still get loud enough to piss the neighbors off

nmt1
05-01-2002, 10:32 AM
you are dangerous now man...

i bet that little bastard will still get loud enough to piss the neighbors off

It is pretty loud. I try to play when they aren't home. No complaints yet. I got some headphones yesterday. I'll probably plug them in if I'm gonna practice later in the evening.

Pennywise
05-01-2002, 01:15 PM
Movie (http://www.student.tamut.edu/newm4492/slash.mpg)

HC_Chief
05-01-2002, 01:21 PM
Marshall?

Blecch. They sound like crap. If you want a <i>real</i> amp, go w/ Mesa Boogie! :thumb:

Triple Rectifier is the baddest tube amp on the market.
Stay away from solid-state garbage... sounds 'tinny'.

nmt1
05-01-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by HC_Chief
Marshall?

Blecch. They sound like crap. If you want a <i>real</i> amp, go w/ Mesa Boogie! :thumb:

Triple Rectifier is the baddest tube amp on the market.
Stay away from solid-state garbage... sounds 'tinny'.

When I'm in the market for a big one, I'll keep that in mind. The Marshall is just for practicing.

HC_Chief
05-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I saw that... those mini-amps are pretty kewl ;)

When you're ready for a head/cabinet combo(ie 'stack'), definitely save your pennies & invest in Mesa Boogie. They may cost a little bit more, but they're worth it. By far the best equipment in the biz (excluding custom design)

Lzen
05-01-2002, 02:39 PM
HC,
I've played on Marshall and I've heard Mesa. I like Marshall but, I'd have to agree with you on the Mesa Boogie. Of course, that triple rectifier runs about $2500 for a half stack. I don't have that kinda dough. :(

Headsnap,
My practice amp is a little Peavey Blazer(don't remember how many watts). Solid state kinda sucks arse. I have a Rogue Tube Rider 100 watt half stack. Nice power and decent sound. Its no Marshall or Mesa but, it rocks. I also play through a Digitech RP2000 effects processor.

Pennywise
05-11-2002, 09:07 AM
To hell with the guitar, be a roadie...

www.roadie.net

philfree
06-15-2002, 01:42 PM
I'm no Guitarist....I can play a couple of bar chords and a riff or two but after about ten minutes I've exhuasted my repitiour. (sp)

My wife and daughter........they do spoil me..........for Fathers Day I just a got a Gibson Les Paul Epiphone and a Marshall Valvestate 2000 Amp.........Wow I still haven't gotten my jaw off the floor where it landed when they told me to open my eyes.......:)

PhilFree:)
~vows to learn to play pretty love songs for his wife~

DaMook
06-15-2002, 01:59 PM
Phill log onto http://www.guitartabs.cc/home.php they have just about every kind of music trancribed to simple chords and tablature, very easy to read. You could be wowing your wife with that love song tonight.

Try this one, my Fiance loves it:In Your Eyes (http://www.guitartabs.cc/fetchurl.php?filename=/g/gaines_jeffrey/in_your_eyes2.tab)

philfree
06-15-2002, 02:10 PM
Thanks DaMook, I will definately check it out.

~"Giddy as a school girl"~

melbar
06-15-2002, 04:00 PM
I know I'm getting in here late, but I own several guitars, and although the Ibanez and Fender guitars are both great , I would lean toward the Fender. Its a little "chunkier" for learning chords whethere you go with the strat or a tele. I would say the Strat is probably one of the most versitile guitars around. Thats why its been around so long , and coppied so often.

Of course it doesnt hurt to learn on an acoustic....

tk13
06-15-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by DaMook
Phill log onto http://www.guitartabs.cc/home.php they have just about every kind of music trancribed to simple chords and tablature, very easy to read. You could be wowing your wife with that love song tonight.

Try this one, my Fiance loves it:In Your Eyes (http://www.guitartabs.cc/fetchurl.php?filename=/g/gaines_jeffrey/in_your_eyes2.tab)

Who's the Jeffrey Gaines that's the artist of this song? The original version of this song was done by Peter Gabriel. I'm a big Gabriel fan, but I wasn't aware that someone had done a cover of that song.

DaMook
06-16-2002, 01:33 AM
QUOTE]Who's the Jeffrey Gaines that's the artist of this song? The original version of this song was done by Peter Gabriel. I'm a big Gabriel fan, but I wasn't aware that someone had done a cover of that song.[/QUOTE]

It is a pretty good cover, IMO, just Gaines in a bar or something with a guitar picking and grinning. I have never heard any of his other work. And it is easy to play, but sounds quite impressive.

philfree
06-16-2002, 09:58 AM
DaMook, For some reason I can't access the guitar tabs site anymore. If you would assist me one more time I would appreciate it greatly...Thanks man.....

PhilFree

DaMook
06-16-2002, 09:40 PM
just type it in after the www. :

guitartabs.cc/home.php

anyone else now of any good free tab sites?

philfree
06-16-2002, 10:11 PM
I found it Da Mook...thanks anyway....again......cool site

headsnap
06-17-2002, 09:39 AM
for guitar tabs, use this as a jumping off point:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/tab.html

for any musician though, Harmony Central is a great resource:
http://www.harmony-central.com/

check out their discussion boards, Planeteers will find it familiar.;)

Lzen
06-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by philfree
I'm no Guitarist....I can play a couple of bar chords and a riff or two but after about ten minutes I've exhuasted my repitiour. (sp)

My wife and daughter........they do spoil me..........for Fathers Day I just a got a Gibson Les Paul Epiphone and a Marshall Valvestate 2000 Amp.........Wow I still haven't gotten my jaw off the floor where it landed when they told me to open my eyes.......:)

~vows to learn to play pretty love songs for his wife~

Wow, that's incredible. What a great Father's Day present. The Epiphone is a cheaper version of a Les Paul but, still a very decent guitar, especially for a beginner. The Marshall Valvestate is a very good quality amp. I'm curious, is it a combo amp (meaning the amp and speakers in one single box) or is it a stack(amp head and speaker cabinet are separate units)? Either way, Marshall Valvestates have great sound and they are very durable. You lucky bastard.

BTW, since I already showed my amp, I might as well show you guys my guitar(my main ax) and effects processor.

Lzen
06-17-2002, 11:39 AM
My effects board.

Lzen
06-17-2002, 11:42 AM
Here's a newer version of my old BC Rich, New Jersey Series Rich Bich. The headstock is different. Mine is more like the Warlock's headstock. Also, mine is purple.

Lzen
06-17-2002, 11:44 AM
Here's a Warlock. This is what my headstock on my Rich Bich looks like except for mine is a reversed headstock. For those that are new to guitars, that means the tuning keys are on the bottom.

Archie F. Swin
08-17-2002, 11:22 AM
Hey nmt1,

Just wanted to know how your guitar adventures were going. Are you taking lessons? Have you found some helpful books? What guitarists are you listening to for inspiration?

I got my first electric guitar last Thursday. Here's (http://www.musiclearning.com/shop/guitar/electric/jt800.html ) what it looks like. Since you got about 5 months on me, maybe you could tell me how to get off on the right start. I'm really enthusiastic about learning a new instrument. Plus, guitar isn' as hard on the family/neighbors as drums. %(/

DaMook
08-17-2002, 11:31 AM
Just out of curiosity has anyone on here ever palyed a song at their own wedding? I am getting married on Sept. 7, and although I have pretty much decided to do it any feedback would be helpful.

Chris Meck
08-17-2002, 11:36 AM
nmt and Chief Red Pants,

I teach some on the side-I've been playing for years (16 yrs, in fact) and I've done everything EXCEPT make a bunch of money and be famous. (LOL) I was playing lead guitar for Kristie Stremel until I left last March (sort of a Melissa Etheridge type).
Anyways:
I've been reading about the Line 6 Port-which looks to be a really useful learning tool that you can plug into your home computer and then plug your guitar into it. It walks you through, step by step, note by note for a lot of classic songs-even providing 'guitarless' tracks for you to jam with.
I thought it looked like a neat tool for learning. You might check it out.
Good luck, and good jammin'.
Chris

DaMook
08-17-2002, 12:00 PM
Just out of curiosity has anyone on here ever palyed a song at their own wedding? I am getting married on Sept. 7, and although I have pretty much decided to do it any feedback would be helpful.

I really don't want to start a seperate thread about this, but would like some feedback. Has anyone done this or seen it done. My fiance wrote me a poem and I made it into a song, (dang good one if you ask me) anyway we are not having any soloists at the ceremony and so I thought after the unity candle. The officiant could say something like: "DaMook would now like to express his feelings for the future Mrs. DaMook in song".

Well?

Archie F. Swin
08-17-2002, 04:04 PM
that sounds very cool . . I say, do it!

nmt1
08-18-2002, 08:20 PM

I really don't want to start a seperate thread about this, but would like some feedback. Has anyone done this or seen it done. My fiance wrote me a poem and I made it into a song, (dang good one if you ask me) anyway we are not having any soloists at the ceremony and so I thought after the unity candle. The officiant could say something like: "DaMook would now like to express his feelings for the future Mrs. DaMook in song".

Well?

DaMook:
Dude, your soon-to-be wife to be would probably melt right there. I think you should do it. Nothing like showing her your soul.

CRP:
I'm taking lessons at Mars. It's not cookie cutter lessons though. Most of the time I bring in a CD and my teacher tabs out the songs (or parts of songs) I'm interested in. Definitly try to learn what you like. It helps keep you motivated. I learned the first part of Flying In A Blue Dream by Joe Satriani out of a book called The Best of Joe Satriani. It's got about 9 or 10 songs tabbed out and comes with a CD that you can play along with if you can plug a CD player into your amp.
I learned Your Disease by Saliva early on. I can play just about the whole thing except the solo. Lots of power chords and just a couple of strings. I believe they play that one in drop C tuning. You can play it in drop D, it just sounds a little higher. I'd be happy to chat about playing, so send me smoke signals whenever.

Chris Meck:
I've seen and read about the Line 6 thing. It's either going to be my next purchase or a Christmas present(I probably won't be able to wait that long). I'm definitly intersted in playing on my PC.

nmt1
08-19-2002, 05:42 AM
CRP:

Here's a link to the Satch book if you're interested.

The Best Of Joe Satriani (http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_detail.html?sku=HL.695216&cart=32387318021664980&searchtitle=Sheet%20Music)

Sheetmusic.com (http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/)

Pennywise
09-24-2002, 08:47 PM
What cord is that Courtney?

philfree
09-24-2002, 09:23 PM
The Epiphone is a cheaper version of a Les Paul but, still a very decent guitar, especially for a beginner. The Marshall Valvestate is a very good quality amp. I'm curious, is it a combo amp (meaning the amp and speakers in one single box) or is it a stack(amp head and speaker cabinet are separate units)? Either way, Marshall Valvestates have great sound and they are very durable. You lucky bastard.

My guitar says Epiphon and Les Paul both on it if that makes a difference in models. Blue but you can see the wood grain and it has a white pick gaurd.

My amp is a combo. Valvestate2000 AVT 20.\

And yes I am a lucky bastard.

PhilFree:toast:

headsnap
09-24-2002, 09:32 PM
What cord is that Courtney?

:LOL: ROFL :LOL: :LOL: :eek: :toast:

that would be inbetween chords.

halloween '97...

Braincase
09-24-2002, 09:43 PM
My first axe was one I copped from my brother after he quit playing - a Peavey POS. Avoid

The first guitar I bought was a favorite that I miss. Ibanez PR-1440. One of the first Ibanez with the new headstock. Cherry Ice finish, ebony neck, Floyd Rose, two singles and a hummer.

I miss that guitar.

Currently, having a lot of fun with a Fernandes Nomad with the Zoom 505 effects processor built in.

Alvaraz, Module Graphite neck. FR trem, although the nut's a little sharp.

Ibanez S Series.

Ovation Shallow Bowl with active electronics.

Had a 7-string ESP, but didn't care for it.

nmt1
10-03-2002, 11:32 AM
Hey guys. Just thought I'd bring this back with another question or two. I quit taking lessons b/c they are quite expensive and football season started, among other things. Can you guys suggest some ways to practice or some things to practice. I've been practicing the same scales and songs that I learned during my lessons. I think I need to branch out and learn some more basics. Thanks for any suggestions.

headsnap
10-03-2002, 12:01 PM
Hey guys. Just thought I'd bring this back with another question or two. I quit taking lessons b/c they are quite expensive and football season started, among other things. Can you guys suggest some ways to practice or some things to practice. I've been practicing the same scales and songs that I learned during my lessons. I think I need to branch out and learn some more basics. Thanks for any suggestions.

what songs and scales do you practice on?

it's good sometimes and give your right hand some thought. you can't be a good guitarist without a good right hand. practice picking, alternate picking up and down the pentatonic scale, and all over the scale. practice chunking on a chord with all down strokes while changing up how you mute the strings with your palm. practice chunking with giving emphasis on beats 2 and 4. chunk with up strokes on 2& and 3&, etc... just change it up some.

get your vibrato working. the way I got mine, and a wicked one it is, (this is a true story) all my friends had a little, but it seemed forced. I went and drank about 5 Dr. Peppers and recieved a sort of natural palsy from all the caffein(my hands shook more than Muhammad Ali), I practiced for a couple of hours while charged on caffein and I have had the vibrato from that point on.

learn the non-traditional parts of the guitar, ie, where all the harmonics are, pinch harmonics, etc... just experiment with the thing, make some nasty noise, and have fun.

Pennywise
10-03-2002, 12:05 PM
I am going to give this piece of gear a shot. It looks too cool and folks seem to have some good things to say. Time for a covert purchase… (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=021003110315165095145066946978/search/g=home/detail/base_id/58984)

I took a listen to some of the samples and was quite pleased.

Braincase
10-03-2002, 12:28 PM
Headsnap -

Here's my latest covert purchase, on its way from Ottawa, Canada.

I posted earlier about a favorite Ibanez PR1440. This is a PR1880, and I've always been a sucker for natural finishes.

Braincase
10-03-2002, 12:33 PM
Meant that for Pennywise. Sorry!

nmt1
10-03-2002, 12:35 PM
Headsnap:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Zoom 505 and I love messing around with it. I only know a few power chords but they sound awesome all distorted. I've also been reading Steve Vai's column on guitar.com. Vai recommends some techniques for getting better/faster with your left hand. My teacher made me practice alternate picking from the start so I've got that down pretty good. I practice on a couple of pieces of some Satriani stuff. I don't know any songs all the way through other than Your Disease by Saliva. That song requires me to tune down and it's kind of a pain to re-tune every time I practice. I guess what I'm most wondering about is bar chords and power chords. I know very little about them. I'll look up the scales I'm playing and let you know.

Pennywise:
I've had my eye on that for some time now. I'd love to get one but I don't want to spend the money on it right now. As soon as I have some extra cash, I'm snagging it.

nmt1
10-03-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by BrainCase
Headsnap -

I posted earlier about a favorite Ibanez PR1440. This is a PR1880, and I've always been a sucker for natural finishes.

Nice to see another Ibanez player on here. Most everyone I talk to wants a Gibson or Fender. This is the one I have, color and all:

SA160QM (http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SA160QM&color=1)

Garcia Bronco
10-03-2002, 12:50 PM

Nice to see another Ibanez player on here. Most everyone I talk to wants a Gibson or Fender. This is the one I have, color and all:

I have a 540R Ibanez, but don't play it any more because the floyd rose gets on my last nerve.

Garcia Bronco
10-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Garcia Bronco

I have a 540R Ibanez, but don't play it any more because the floyd rose gets on my last nerve.

Btw, the 540R is the Joe model without his sig on it.

nmt1
10-03-2002, 12:55 PM

Btw, the 540R is the Joe model without his sig on it.

Sweet! I'm a huge Satriani fan.
I wouldn't mind having one of the JS series models.
I've heard bad things about the Floyd Rose trems. Why does it bother you?

Garcia Bronco
10-03-2002, 12:59 PM

When we get together for the game I can tell you all you want about power and bar chords.

Garcia Bronco
10-03-2002, 01:03 PM

Sweet! I'm a huge Satriani fan.
I wouldn't mind having one of the JS series models.
I've heard bad things about the Floyd Rose trems. Why does it bother you?

New strings pure and simple. After I put them on I tune the thing and lock it down. Then I have to fine tune it. After an hour I have to redo the process. Samething the next day.

Now I just use a standard bridge. I also have a seven string. It has a low B, then e,a,d,g,b,e. An ovation legend cut away. I also play a little mandolin which is the bottom 4 strings of a 6 string reversed(so g,d,a,e) like a violin.

nmt1
10-03-2002, 01:36 PM

New strings pure and simple. After I put them on I tune the thing and lock it down. Then I have to fine tune it. After an hour I have to redo the process. Samething the next day.

Now I just use a standard bridge. I also have a seven string. It has a low B, then e,a,d,g,b,e. An ovation legend cut away. I also play a little mandolin which is the bottom 4 strings of a 6 string reversed(so g,d,a,e) like a violin.

Sounds like a Floyd Rose is more trouble than it's worth.

Pennywise
10-03-2002, 02:07 PM

Sweet man...

headsnap
10-03-2002, 02:10 PM

Sounds like a Floyd Rose is more trouble than it's worth.

any 'floating' trem is going to be a pain. When one string goes out of tune all the others follow. All my guitars with floyds(except the Jackson) have bolts fastened inside the guitars preventing the floyds from being pulled back, essentially a fixed bridge that I can dive bomb with.

Braincase
10-03-2002, 03:26 PM
On the topic of chords and scales, I highly recommend The Guitar Grimoire series. I have several of the books, the Chord Encyclopaedia and the Chords & Voicings are particularly dog eared. There's another one with every single scale in every single mode with every single position.

These tools were invaluable is the study of sweep picking, as it allowed me to create my own sweep picking exercises. It's a trip how fast you can learn to play complete shred scales once you learn how to sweep.

Also, Joe Satriani's columns from the 80's Guitar World magazines and for his explanation of chord theory. Invaluable stuff, along with articles by Rick Emmett and Frank Gambale.

It's all good!

headsnap
10-03-2002, 03:44 PM
sign up for the Guitar Tip of the Day and the Guitar Riff of the Day on Harmony Central. That should give you plenty to keep yourself busy with.

http://music.harmony-central.com/tipzine/join.php

also try out their BBS, it's pretty active.

nmt1
10-29-2002, 02:15 PM
Got a Line 6 Guitar Port from Mars on Saturday. They are closing their stores here and have everything reduced. Just had to pick it up. Got it for $134. I've played around with it a little but I'm just scratching the surface. It awesome!

Guitar Port (http://64.224.126.160/guitarportonline/index.html)

Pennywise
10-29-2002, 03:21 PM
Excellent man! :thumb:

I still haven't got one yet. :sulk:

Are you going to sign up for the online thing?

I think its only 8 bucks a month or so...

htismaqe
10-29-2002, 03:23 PM
I used to have an Ibanez 570 but the Floyd Rose is a monstrous pain in the ass...

I don't play anything that doesn't have a fixed bridge nowadays...I have a Washburn BT Custom that is just awesome...

mcan
10-29-2002, 08:20 PM
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive!

Yeah, I have an Ibanez S series 470 FM. The floating tremelo was a huge pain in the ass for the first year. Then, I got the hang of it. The trick is to NOT experiment with any weird guages of strings. Change your strings often. And stretch them out well before you lock them down. Otherwise, the bottom strings stretch and go flat, and than takes pressure off the bridge and likewise the top strings all go sharp. It can get really confusing in a pinch, so I also keep my strat on hand.

nmt1
10-30-2002, 11:20 AM
Excellent man! :thumb:

I still haven't got one yet. :sulk:

Are you going to sign up for the online thing?

I think its only 8 bucks a month or so...

I'm considering it. I'd be able to jam by myself without using tapes. Seems like that would help me get better faster.

nmt1
10-30-2002, 11:32 AM
For those of you in KC, I just read that Satch is going to be in town at the Uptown Theater on December 4th. You lucky bastiges.:D

Check this out. It's Satch's setup.

Satch's Setup (http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/293/)

Lzen
10-30-2002, 12:43 PM
For those of you in KC, I just read that Satch is going to be in town at the Uptown Theater on December 4th. You lucky bastiges.:D

Check this out. It's Satch's setup.

Satch's Setup (http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/293/)

Have you heard who he's touring with? I might just have to go check that out.

Pennywise
10-30-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by mcan
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive!

Its our job to keep it alive. This would be better if the animation wasn't so fast.

To the Floyd fans... ;)

htismaqe
10-30-2002, 12:52 PM
I had a serious problem with my Ibanez that the G-string was ALWAYS slightly flat and no amount of fine tuning on the Floyd Rose was ever right...

I just get a truer, deeper sound with a fixed bridge...

nmt1
10-30-2002, 08:33 PM

Have you heard who he's touring with? I might just have to go check that out.

His website doesn't say if he's with anyone. Hell, I'd go no matter who's with him.
There is a date in DC. I may have to make the trip up for that.

Satch's road schedule (http://www.satriani.com/2002/road/)

booger
11-24-2002, 08:20 AM
All Right!!!

A guitar thread. Cool. :toast:

I have played off and on for about 3 years. I am Self taught with help from a few books and the net. So needless to say i am no pro. :D Just kinda fun to play around with. I usually just look up tabs for songs I want to learn on the net. I got a Fender Squire/Strat that was used when I bought it. That and a little crate amp. Not much but works for me, For now at least.

Here's to keepin a good thread alive. :toast:

I'll have to take some time to look at the previous posts. ;)

nmt1
11-24-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by booger
All Right!!!

A guitar thread. Cool. :toast:

I have played off and on for about 3 years. I am Self taught with help from a few books and the net. So needless to say i am no pro. :D Just kinda fun to play around with. I usually just look up tabs for songs I want to learn on the net. I got a Fender Squire/Strat that was used when I bought it. That and a little crate amp. Not much but works for me, For now at least.

Here's to keepin a good thread alive. :toast:

I'll have to take some time to look at the previous posts. ;)

Welcome to the thread. I started it a while back to try and get some advice on getting an electric guitar. I've been playing since Feb of this year so I'm not even close to being any good at all.
There are lots of musicians on the board. You have questions, they usually have answers.

booger
11-24-2002, 08:50 AM
nmt1

Good. I need some advice on purchasing an acoustic/electric. I love the sound of acoustics. The a/e have their own unique sound and I am seriously considering getting one. Probably one w/ cutaway if i ever get any good at playing lead.:D That's a big IF, for me, Playing lead.

Anyway, if anyone has any good advice on A/E let me know. :toast:

headsnap
11-24-2002, 09:58 AM
welcome aboard booger.:toast:

booger
11-24-2002, 10:25 AM
Thanks headsnap

I'll keep checkin back for advice from time to time from the local guitar experts but its gameday! I Better let this thread slide a bit. :D

Thanks again :toast:

Go Chiefs!!!

PRIEST
11-24-2002, 10:55 AM
I had a serious problem with my Ibanez that the G-string was ALWAYS slightly flat and no amount of fine tuning on the Floyd Rose was ever right...

Could be the G string saddle is worn, quick fix a pice of cardboard under the string will help, what happens is the the string is hitting the fret.

PRIEST
11-24-2002, 11:06 AM
nmt1

Good. I need some advice on purchasing an acoustic/electric. I love the sound of acoustics. The a/e have their own unique sound and I am seriously considering getting one. Probably one w/ cutaway if i ever get any good at playing lead. That's a big IF, for me, Playing lead.

Anyway, if anyone has any good advice on A/E let me know.

www.musicians's friend.com (www.musician'sfriend.com)

Good site, the real thing about picking out a guitar is to get out and play as many in you price range as you can;)

nmt1
11-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by PRIEST

Could be the G string saddle is worn, quick fix a pice of cardboard under the string will help, what happens is the the string is hitting the fret.

That's funny. I think the G string on my Ibanez sounds a little off, flat I guess. It could be just me though. I started taking lessons on an accoustic that sounded off too. Maybe G just doesn't agree with my brain.:D

nmt1
11-25-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by booger
nmt1

Good. I need some advice on purchasing an acoustic/electric. I love the sound of acoustics. The a/e have their own unique sound and I am seriously considering getting one. Probably one w/ cutaway if i ever get any good at playing lead.:D That's a big IF, for me, Playing lead.

Anyway, if anyone has any good advice on A/E let me know. :toast:

I wish I could give you some advice. I like the way they sound too. Wouldn't mind having one.

headsnap
11-25-2002, 12:09 PM

That's funny. I think the G string... off, flat I guess. It could be just me though.

I hope that's her G-string that is off and not yours.:eek:

nmt1
11-25-2002, 12:25 PM

I hope that's her G-string that is off and not yours.:eek:

I originally typed that similar to the way you paraphrased it but realized what would happen if I posted it. I changed it before I submitted the post. You guys have such dirty minds.:D

Joe Seahawk
11-25-2002, 12:29 PM
Joe Satriani did the National anthem on his guitar yesterday at the Seahawks game...It was awesome...I hope Seahawks .com puts in their audio page...

http://www.seahawks.com/GalleryPics/Gall129/satriani1125.jpg

http://www.seahawks.com/ardisplay.aspx?SecID=29&ID=1687

nmt1
11-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Joe Seahawk
Joe Satriani did the National anthem on his guitar yesterday at the Seahawks game...It was awesome...I hope Seahawks .com puts in their audio page...

http://www.seahawks.com/ardisplay.aspx?SecID=29&ID=1687

IMO, that's the only good thing that happened in that stadium yesterday.:D

Lzen
11-25-2002, 03:53 PM
Damn you Seattle guys. You get all the good stuff. :banghead:

booger,
I've been thinking of purchasing an A/E myself. My bud here at work has some Carvin electrics and a Carvin A/E. It is a very nice guitar. It cost about $600-$700. Of course, they have them in all different price ranges. Don't know exactly what price range you're looking for but, I'd go with the Carvin if you can afford it.

www.carvin.com

Pennywise
11-25-2002, 04:05 PM
Does anybody know anything good or bad about Schecter?

I can get this guitar for $529 from Musicians friend or at one of the Guitar Center's. I kind of dig it. With the exception of the frets. I ain't really hip on the diamonds.

How is that Guitar Port working out nmt1?

I am adding that to the list also. Ill probably just end up getting a shit sandwich. Been way more naughty than nice this year.

booger
11-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Lzen

Thanks for the Link. :toast:

Right now price range would be 300-500. I might not find what i am looking for in that range. Don't want to just get one for a good price and have it turn out not really what I want so I am trying to stay patient. :D

Tried a Dean modell, a few Takamini's, some fenders, etc.
I almost bought an Ibanez. It was a thin boday cutaway. They had 2 to choose from. Both were at a local music store and had funky colors. A maroon metalic and an ugly blue no one wanted. Could have chose between the two for 240 for either of them with out the hard body case.

I would like to find an A/E thin body cutaway that has that same full bodied acoustic sound when unplugged. Briefly checked out the link. Looks good, kinda pricy but seems they have a good product.

I have tried to do a partial trade with my electric fender squire/strat. It was used by a young kid who gave up and I got it 3 yrs ago at a music shop who is a big fender dealer. Got it for 150 and it was like new. Today there are so many like it around. Fenders and knockoffs. With the economy stores really don't like the trade ideas and pawn shops will try to rip you off.

Probably should just keep it as a momento. No wife and no kids so I might just have to put a new A/E on credit card.:D

PRIEST

Thanks for the musiciansfriend link. I'll have to check that out.

nmt1
12-05-2002, 12:53 PM
Hey guys, just picked up a Cry Baby wah wah peddle from Mars during their going out of business sale. It's used and a little beat up but it works. Fun to play around with.

Booger:

I got my Ibanez for around $400 and it's awesome. Everytime I look at another guitar I compare it to my Ibanez. I'm just a newbie but I love my guitar.

mcan
12-05-2002, 12:57 PM
I figured you'ld like that Ibanez. The S series is a great body style. Really comfortable, and decent pickups on most Ibanez stuff...

How much did Mars take you over for for a used "going out of business" Wah? You should be able to pick up a brand new standard Cry Baby for about $80.00. If a USED one is beat up, I wouldn't give any more than $50.00.

Mcan
Hates mars...

Lzen
12-05-2002, 02:32 PM
Here's a thin bodied acoustic. :D Never tried one but I always thought they were pretty cool looking. Stratocoustic (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=021205123456165201012044816229/search/g=home?q=stratocoustic)
$269.99

Lzen
12-05-2002, 02:36 PM
Musician's Friend is a great place to buy stuff at great prices. I've made a lot of purchases through them. My last guitar, my stack, my pedal board, guitar stand were all purchased through them. ;) Here's a Telecoustic (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=021205123456165201012044816229/search/g=guitar/detail/base_id/80464)

Same price $269.99

mcan
12-05-2002, 03:52 PM
Lzen,

Those last two guitars are both really crappy...

I like the idea of a thin neck and all, but they are made from the crappiest of meterials. They are "plywood" or "laminate" top guitars, with shoddy workmanship, and cheap electronics. They are cheap, but they sound like absolute crap when they aren't plugged in, and when you do plug them in, they sound cheap, distant, toneless, and tinny...

If you want to get a decent electric acoustic, you'll have to jump up a couple hundred bucks and get an Artwood or something in that price range. Washburn makes a few good ones (but also a few crappy ones). Takamine makes some good ones too. A guitar that I've liked for awhile now (if you can find them) is the Seagull. All of thier guitars are made with solid tops (spruce or cedar). For more information (and no hype) go HERE (http://www.seagullguitars.com/intro.htm).

Be sure and read the "seagull story" link on the page, and learn a bit about how an acoustic guitar is made, and why solid tops are best...

nmt1
12-06-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by mcan
I figured you'ld like that Ibanez. The S series is a great body style. Really comfortable, and decent pickups on most Ibanez stuff...

How much did Mars take you over for for a used "going out of business" Wah? You should be able to pick up a brand new standard Cry Baby for about $80.00. If a USED one is beat up, I wouldn't give any more than $50.00.

Mcan
Hates mars...

I paid $50 for it. It's not in terrible shape. The bottom of it is bent in a little and it was a little dirty but that's it.

Lzen
12-06-2002, 09:52 AM
mcan,
Thanks for the info. Now I'm glad I didn't buy one. I'm actually pretty much sold on a Carvin A/E. I have a bud here at work who owns one along with 4 or 5 Carvin electrics. I've played most of them and they are definitely very good guitars, IMO. I'm sold. ;)

nmt1
12-13-2002, 09:36 AM
Thought this was a cool website. I'll be using it quite a bit I think.

http://www.guitartricks.com/

Pennywise
12-13-2002, 10:06 AM
Thought this was a cool website. I'll be using it quite a bit I think.

http://www.guitartricks.com/

Those are some cool ass links (friends of gl: )as well.

Braincase
12-19-2002, 09:46 AM
One for me...

Braincase
12-19-2002, 10:28 AM
I love Ebay... what do you guys think of the other Danelectro pedals? I've got the tuner coming, along with the French Toast, Chili Dog, Surf and Turf Compressor, and the Chicken Salad Vibrato. I'm thinking about adding an overdrive and maybe the autowah or a distortion pedal or an analog delay or ...

a Line 6 POD XT? /drool on

nmt1
12-19-2002, 11:07 AM
I love Ebay... what do you guys think of the other Danelectro pedals? I've got the tuner coming, along with the French Toast, Chili Dog, Surf and Turf Compressor, and the Chicken Salad Vibrato. I'm thinking about adding an overdrive and maybe the autowah or a distortion pedal or an analog delay or ...

a Line 6 POD XT? /drool on

Let me know how the Danelectros sound when you get them.
The Zoom 505 is pretty cool. You'll probably want to change the default effects b/c many of them sound similar.

KCJohnny
12-19-2002, 11:42 AM
I own the Danelectro echo pedal (pictured in reply #192) and for $37.50 it's awesome.
KCJ
Musical Genius
:)

booger
12-28-2002, 01:33 AM
Thanks for all of the info guys. Mcan's seagull site was a good read about what to look for.

I finally purchased my acoustic electric. I was choosing between a Fender, a Takamine, and an Ibanez. All for about the 350-600 $$$$$ range. Fenders just aint as good as they used to be. They must not be using the quality materials they claim to be. I liked the other two pretty well. The sales guy then said they had a used Alvarez model RD 30 SC dreadnought cutaway with a hardshell case for $$$240. I was skeptical to buy a used one but this won played as well as the new ones they had in. It was obviously very well taken care of and had a great tone to it as the wood has aged a little.

I ended up buying the used Alvarez. No dents or scratches and a natural finish. Case is in great condition also, like new. Sounds great unplugged and pretty cool when hooked up to a Fender Acoustic amp. I did not buy the amp but may look more at them in the future.

I have tried the Alvarez official site and searches on yahoo but can't find the model out there. I would like to see what the original manufactures date was. Does anyone know of any sites to look up models of brand name guitars? Alvarez is one of the better brands out there that i know of. What about sites that list values of guitars that are not new?

I really can't complain about price even when it is used. It sounds great and looks in new condition. Hardshell cases run about 100 bucks or so new. It was just re strung with Elixir poly web strings. supposed to be a good quality string. I have heard much about them. Kinda spendy at around 16 bucks a set. I'll have to try them out to see what it sounds like. They have a web site at www.elixirstrings.com

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for the advice to everyone. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays and pumped for KC football this weekend. So tell me, who else got any music supplies or new toys for xmas?

:) :toast:

booger
12-28-2002, 01:34 AM
Here is the specs on the guitar.

Body Style Cutaway Dreadnought

Back/Sides Mahogany

Top Solid Spruce

Finish Natural Gloss

Soundhole Rosette Black/White Multi-Layer

Body Binding Black/White Multi-Layer

Fingerboard Rosewood

Fingerboard Inlay Dots

Tuning Machines Chrome Die Cast

Bridge Rosewood

Electronics 3-band EQ Volume and tone controls, High, low, and Midrange. Contour control and battery check for 9V battery.

booger
12-28-2002, 01:40 AM
Cant find the same model i have on the net, but here is a picture of a different model that looks exactly like mine, finish and everything.

booger
01-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Help!! Need to find a tab.

For all of you Tab experts, I downloaded an acoustic Version of Led Zepplin's 'Black Dog'. Pretty big difference from the original version. Anyway I got it off of Kazza Lite and can't find the tab on any tab sites. Pretty cool song for any Zepplin fans.

nmt1
01-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Booger:

Not sure if you're looking for free stuff or what but here's what I found:

Sheetmusic.com (http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_detail.html?sku=WB.GF0585&cart=32515267522908898&searchtitle=Sheet%20Music) - This will cost you $25 but it's probably worth it.

Sheetmusic.com Led Zep (http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_fastresults.html?cart=32515267522908898) - Got this list by searching for 'Black Dog' on the Sheetmusic.com site.

Olga.net (http://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?local=main/l/led_zeppelin/) - They've got about everything on this site. It's not professional stuff but I think most tabs are close enough to get you started.

Guitar Tab Universe (http://www.guitartabs.cc/home.php) - Didn't see Led Zep here but I didn't look real hard.

Tab Search Engine (http://www.tabrobot.com/) - You'll probably find it here.

Archie F. Swin
01-14-2003, 09:47 AM
http://cuddinfish.homestead.com/files/playground.jpg
let's make some noise!

Braincase
01-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Chief Red Pants
http://cuddinfish.homestead.com/files/playground.jpg
let's make some noise!

That's nice. I've been enhancing my studio over Christmas...

Yamaha DD-55 Digital Drums
Line 6 Guitarport
Marshall 20 W Valvestate Amp
6 Danelectro Minipedals
1 Zoom 505 II Effects Processor
1 RP2000 Guitar Modeling Workstation
1 Ibanez Proline 1880
1 Ibanez Sabre
1 Alvarez Electric, w/ modulus graphite neck
1 Ovation Acoustic Electric
1 Fernandes Nomad, w/ built-in Zoom 505 effects processor

Now I just need to get a better combo. The Line 6 is fun, and the little Marshall is loud enough for around the house, but I think that'll be my next upgrade. Either that or a Roland Guitar Synthesizer setup.

nmt1
01-15-2003, 10:08 AM
Braincase:

I've got a Guitar Port too though mine quits working and screws up the sound on my computer after being installed for a day or two. I'm guessing you don't have that problem. When it does work, it's cool.
Do you like the Zoom 505 II? I've got one but I don't see that it's that useful. Maybe I'm not using it right.

Braincase
01-15-2003, 10:45 AM
Braincase:

I've got a Guitar Port too though mine quits working and screws up the sound on my computer after being installed for a day or two. I'm guessing you don't have that problem. When it does work, it's cool.
Do you like the Zoom 505 II? I've got one but I don't see that it's that useful. Maybe I'm not using it right.

I love the GuitarPort. I'm very happy with it, but you do have get the software and firmware upgrades. I've downloaded some lessons (Cliffs of Dover is incredible) and am very happy with the tone.

I really haven't spent any time with the Zoom unit, as I also acquired a Digitech RP2000 guitar modeling workstation, and it's all that , a bag of chips and a 6 pack.

Braincase
01-15-2003, 10:49 AM
Here's a better look...

Lzen
01-15-2003, 02:23 PM
Here's a better look...

That's exactly the same one that I have. Definitely a great signal processor. ;)

Lzen
01-15-2003, 03:57 PM
I found this on the Musician's Friend website. Nice guitar themes to put on your puter.

Guitar Desktop Themes (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030115140343165201012044289649/content/g=home/s=funzone/doc_id=82216)

Braincase
01-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Anybody have any experience with lawsuit Ibanez Les Paul copies? I might have a line on one and would like to know if any of you have ever owned/played one. I hear good things and the demand seems to be there so I'm a little curious.

TIA,

nmt1
01-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Anybody have any experience with lawsuit Ibanez Les Paul copies? I might have a line on one and would like to know if any of you have ever owned/played one. I hear good things and the demand seems to be there so I'm a little curious.

TIA,

Don't have a Les Paul copy but I love my S series model. Great quality and sound. I haven't been playing for a whole year yet but I'd say it's been a great guitar to learn on. Sorry, not much help.

Lzen
01-16-2003, 12:37 PM
I don't know about an Ibanez Les Paul copy but, I have an Ibanez Strat copy. It's called a Gio. It was cheap and it's not a real great guitar. It would be alright for a beginner but, it's definitely not top quality. The Les Paul copy may be the same cheap guitar.

Braincase
01-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Got it covered... just got outbid on Ebay, and I took a look at the musiciansfriend.com site. I had already staked out a Roland guitar synth there, so I took a look at the Epi's. Picked up a new black Epiphone Les Paul Studio axe. I'll have to set it up, etc., but it seems like a good deal at 419. A hell ova lot cheaper than the local store.

Braincase
01-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Viola!

Chris Meck
01-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Doh!

I should've dropped in on this conversation earlier-

The 'Lawsuit' era copies are 70's knock-offs and they were VERY GOOD guitars. I have a friend who's sworn allegiance to the things and plays only lawsuit era Ibanez and Electra Les Pauls and V's.

New Ibanez knock-offs are cheapos. Most of your Epiphone line is cheapo with the exception of the new line they're putting out this year to bridge the gap between the $400 Epiphones and the $3000 Gibsons.

'course, I play a tele.

Cheers,

Chris

Braincase
01-16-2003, 10:43 PM
Couple of you guys inspired me to clean up what I've got, jack it and check it out. Tonight I broke out the mahagony S series Ibanez, HSH, old style trem. Took the old strings off, cleaned it up with some ghs cream, slapped some new Slinkies on to it.

Came into the home office, and jacked into the Guitarport, downloaded Gary Moore's tones for "Still Got the Blues".

Oh, yeah. That's noice.

Might have to clean up the Alvarez over the weekend. Hell, by this time next week, I'll have my Ovation acoustic/electric kicking through the RP2000, into the guitarport, out through the Marshall, nothing but net.

Woohoo!

Braincase
01-28-2003, 10:09 AM
OK, got the new Epi in yesterday. I think I could love to learn Les Paul's. Had to go with a Classic w/ transparent black quilted maple top, as it looked like the black Studio was back ordered.

Now I'm facing a reality - I was going to mount the Roland sythesizer pickup on the Epiphone, but the carved top may not allow that to happen - kind of what I visioned to do as the LP has a stop tailpiece and all my others have trems. The best fit would be on the older Ibanez, as it's flat (can't say I've ever seen one mounted on a Sabre - carved top issue again).

Anybody have experience with Hughes and Kettner combos?

Lzen
01-28-2003, 10:12 AM
...................Anybody have experience with Hughes and Kettner combos?

Nope but, Alex Lifeson of Rush seems to be extremely pleased with his. Have you heard their latest album. Very nice sounding guitars. ;)

philfree
02-11-2003, 05:27 PM
ESTEBAN! I just got my new Esteban Autograghed Acoustic Guitar. You can smell the varnish. Came with a 90 minute instruction video and I also baught an Esteban CD. Beautiful classical guitar playing. I was up very late one night and came across an infomercial (sp?) with Esteban selling his Autographed Guitars and instruction video. I've been taking some lessons for a while now and I'm making modest progress. I know some folks who get together and pick bluegrass. They invited me to sit in but I'm not ready IMO and I also didn't have an acoustic guitar. So when I saw the show I said he!! why not for a 100 bucks. By summers end I will be pickin bluegrass. Anybody else ever hear of Esteban or seen the infomercial?

PhilFre-esteban

Chris Meck
02-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Bah! Ibenhad? Epliphone? Hughes and Kettner?!

All's you really need is a good ole' telecaster (mine's a '72) and a good 'ole fender amp (mine's a Vibrolux).

And now don't screw it up-get yourself a good cord.

LOL

If you want to see/hear mine in action, have a looksee over at http://www.pendergastkc.com

rock on, gents!

Chris

Braincase
02-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Got the split hexaphonic pickup mounted on the Epi Les Paul, and I've been having some fun with the Roland Guitar Synthesizer. I'm absolutely enamored with the weirdness I can generate now - Australian outback noises, vocalizations, keyboards. If anybody ever gets one of those things, I got to show you how the guy over at Mass Street Music mounted mine - it's beautifully mounted and perfect!

There's a modest tracking delay that takes a little getting used to, and I have to admit I'm so used to the Ibanez necks that the Les Paul neck gives me hand cramps. What's a little agony to go along with ecstacy, right?

Chris - absolutely. One guitar, one little combo and a chord is all somebody needs. I checked what a good condition '72 tele costs - congrats. I'll stick with stuff that doesn't offer quite the bullseye for the prospective thief. I got by with one axe and a little Marshall or Peavey amp for years. Never played in a band, never learned any songs I didn't really want to learn. I'm sure I'll never sound or play like you. A part of me is envious... another part wants to go strap on my cheap Les Paul and make Celtic flute noises...

To anyone else - just get what you like, play what you like. Make yourself happy. AND GO SEE ERIC JOHNSON THURSDAY NIGHT IN KC! WOOOHOOO!

Over-Head
02-24-2003, 06:42 AM
I know there's a whole bunch of posts here...(wasn't around a puter this weekend..) but here's some personal advice from a 20yr player..
1st...Go to a few local shops and play around with a few guitars..Just because it's cheap doens't mean it'll be "comfortable to play".
2nd...Just because Jimy Page played a Les Paul,,or Eddy Van Halen playe's a Peavy Wolfgang..doesn't mean you'll ever sound like either on of them..Contrary to beliefe,,you could have every peice of equipment BOTH of them own,,,and not even come close..THE SOUND IS IN YOUR PLAYING!!!
3rd..When you do find the right fitting ax,,,descide what amp you want,,,and plug into it,and fiddle around a bit,,BUT!!! just remember it'll sound a whole lot different in your room than in the shop you play it in.
Other than that...Hope you find as much fun as I have all these years.Playing in a bar is ,was,and probably will be the most exciting thing i've ever had te plaesure to do...

My gear includes..
68' Les Paul Black Beauty (took out the origional pick up's (kept em') And loaded 2 Seymore Duncan JB's.
85' Les Paul standerd Tobacco sunburst
74' American Strat with a Seymor duncan stacked double coil in the rear
an 85' Yamaha (the one they discontuned due to a law suit for looking too much like a strat)..That has 1 single Demarzio Super Destortion in the rear w/ a Floyd rose
88' Jackson Rhoads
A Charvell I picked up in a pon shop (no idea of the year)
and an 80'ish Kramer (yes,painted Eddy Van Halen red and white)
w/a Floyd rose

As for Amp's.. Yamaha G-50112 is my old jamming partner,,with an 80's Marshall full stack loaded with green back's.
and I have 2 69' Plexie's I used to club with..1 still works but I seldom use it..the other needs tube's,and a new pre amp circut rebuild.

Over-Head
02-24-2003, 09:59 AM
nmt1, if I get a chance, I will post some samples of the zoom 505, and it's effects sounds this afternoon.

the cool thing about an all-in-one effects unit is that you can use it as a headphone amp. you could also plug it into your computers sound in and use your computer as an amp until you get a real one.

I sure wish this stuff had been out when I played in clubs...but then again,,I'll keep my TS-9 Tube screamer,adn Boss Heavy metal peddle...Along with the Boss delay,compressor,and noise gate..etc..
Hell my old pedddle bord had 15 on it at one point!!:eek:
Boss,DOD,Toki,Ibanez

nmt1
03-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Another question:

Anyone know where I can get backing tracks on CD or MP3?

nmt1
03-24-2003, 02:20 PM
Gotta bump this. I was hoping one of you fine gentlemen would be able to point me in the right direction.

Boozer
03-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Another question:

Anyone know where I can get backing tracks on CD or MP3?

I seem to remember "Musician's Friend" (or Musician's Enemy, if you prefer, based on their customer service) had these for sale a few years back. Kinda been out of the music game for awhile, and I think they took me off their mailing list. Be a good place to check though, they have a web site.

Braincase
05-21-2003, 12:50 PM
This was on the Musician's Friend website, price was right, so I jumped like a madman. Should arrive here at the office tomorrow.

Epiphone Les Paul Bass

nmt1
05-21-2003, 01:05 PM
This was on the Musician's Friend website, price was right, so I jumped like a madman. Should arrive here at the office tomorrow.

Epiphone Les Paul Bass

Sweet dude. Rock on!

Braincase
05-21-2003, 01:25 PM

Sweet dude. Rock on!

Apparently, Behringer has released the V-Amp for Bass as well. Should have one next week, currently back ordered. Can't wait to see how this works out.

philfree
05-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Playing around right now. I suck! But I'm having fun though. My rythm switch seems to be fuggin up though. Guess I'll just play on treble and run through the blues scale and practice bending notes.........Cold beer and a geet-tar..

PhilFree :arrow:

2bikemike
05-21-2003, 06:34 PM
I am thinking about buying my daughter a Big Baby Taylor guitar for her birthday. I don't play and don't know anything about guitars but I know Taylor makes some damn fine guitars. I am getting a deal on it from a connection within the company.

Braincase
12-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Bumpworthy

Demonpenz
12-26-2003, 07:00 PM
Does radio shack make amps!

teedubya
12-26-2003, 07:02 PM
i dont think that Radioshack makes amps but they may sell some.

Braincase
07-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Just out curiosity, who is doing Computer Based recording? I just ordered a couple of new toys - Guitar Tracks from Cakewalk (good sale @ MusiciansFried.com) and a USB based recording tool from M-Audio for my notebook.

ANybody have experience with Guitar Tracks?

DaneMcCloud
07-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Braincase,
I hope that you purchased the USB based recording interface from a store that allows returns without a re-stocking charge. In general, those are very, very bad. First off, most companies have stopped manufacturing USB interfaces in favor of Firewire because Firewire is so much faster than USB 1.0. USB is very slow and it's difficult for any computer (regardless of CPU) to stream even a decent amount of tracks (16 or more). In addition, you can't have anything else running on the USB bus because the audio interface hogs the entire bandwidth.

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions.

Dane

Pennywise
07-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Eruption on the violin (http://www.bobbyyang.com/video/750kb.htm)

ZepSinger
07-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Just out curiosity, who is doing Computer Based recording? I just ordered a couple of new toys - Guitar Tracks from Cakewalk (good sale @ MusiciansFried.com) and a USB based recording tool from M-Audio for my notebook.

ANybody have experience with Guitar Tracks?

I've done alot of MIDI recording on the PC- fav software is Emagic Micrologic. Also like Cubase and Cakewalk.
Have done some HD software recording as well.. used Emagic's Logic Pro.
My favorite home recording combination(until I can afford to buy a dedicated 24 track hard disk recorder), is to sync the PC for MIDI tracks to my Fostex 8track analog deck(for guitars and vox). Mix down to DAT, then burn to CD. Kinda the inexpensive way to do it, but it works for me...

Rukdafaidas
07-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Eruption on the violin (http://www.bobbyyang.com/video/750kb.htm)
ROFL
Cool!

DaneMcCloud
07-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Logic is only available on PC now - Apple bought them a few years back. If you're looking for software, I'd recommend Cubase SL. It's inexpensive, comprehensive and they have an affordable upgrade path. You'll be able to record Midi, use VST instruments (such as the LM4 MkII - a must have drum machine/drum sampler) and be able to use VST effects. I wouldn't recommend jumping into a program such as Nuendo (which is what I use on a daily basis) because it's very pricey, and for your first program, it would be overkill (plus, if you think you're a Braincase now, wait until you're faced with a 750 page manual!).

Computer recording is relatively easy and affordable and can be quite enjoyable just as long as you don't expect your consumer budget recordings to sound like they were done at Ocean Way, or at my studio! :)

Good luck,

Dane

Braincase
07-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Braincase,
I hope that you purchased the USB based recording interface from a store that allows returns without a re-stocking charge. In general, those are very, very bad. First off, most companies have stopped manufacturing USB interfaces in favor of Firewire because Firewire is so much faster than USB 1.0. USB is very slow and it's difficult for any computer (regardless of CPU) to stream even a decent amount of tracks (16 or more). In addition, you can't have anything else running on the USB bus because the audio interface hogs the entire bandwidth.

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions.

Dane

I've got a 24-bit setup at home, but I was just looking for something to get stuff into my notebook at work when I have a decent idea at lunch. I thought I'd give the M-Audio MobilePre USB a try. I know it's 16 bit, but it gives me a chance to just get a guitar track onto media.

I was more interested in whoever was using Guitar Tracks...

DaneMcCloud
07-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Sorry dude, I can't help you with the Guitar Tracks. I mic up my Bogner and Rectifier, but I've heard the NI Guitar Rig and it sounds pretty cool. Maybe check it out.

Dane

DaneMcCloud
07-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Sorry dude, I can't help you with the Guitar Tracks. I mic up my Bogner and Rectifier, but I've heard the NI Guitar Rig and it sounds pretty cool. Maybe check it out.

Dane

Braincase
10-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Welcome to the thread resurrection post.

I got my first custom axe yesterday. Les Paul Body, with sound chambers to lighten the load. Control set up like a Strat, but two humbuckers (Seymour Duncan Jazz at the neck, SH-4 at the bridge) Wilky tremolo, and wired like a PRS with a 5-way megaswitch. Flame maple top over mahogany, ebony over mahogonay on the neck. 6100's for frets, freakin' speed bumps.

Plugged it into my little Marshall, and it's as warm as hot buttered rum in front of the fireplace in January.

ChiefFripp
10-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
Schecter

David.
10-26-2004, 10:39 PM
I want to learn to play guitar so bad, but I only have like...20 dollars to my name right now. I need to get a job http://forums.breakthetrend.com/images/smilies/uhh.gif

or beg my parents/grandparents :)

Demonpenz
10-27-2004, 12:57 AM
I play guitar, the internet is a life savor i have a good wash guitar and a good bass guitlar

Over-Head
10-27-2004, 02:13 AM

I got my first custom axe yesterday. Les Paul Body, with sound chambers to lighten the load. Control set up like a Strat, but two humbuckers (Seymour Duncan Jazz at the neck, SH-4 at the bridge) Wilky tremolo, and wired like a PRS with a 5-way megaswitch. Flame maple top over mahogany, ebony over mahogonay on the neck. 6100's for frets, freakin' speed bumps.

Plugged it into my little Marshall, and it's as warm as hot buttered rum in front of the fireplace in January.

Sounds like a sweet axe. Now just get a hold of Dan out in CA,
http://www.torresengineering.com/
and order 2 of his 1 Meg volume pot's for that bad boy, and watch those Seymour's really come to life! :thumb:

ZepSinger
10-27-2004, 06:24 AM

Hey buddy!
I'm anxious to see that bad boy sometime....
:drool:

Braincase
10-27-2004, 07:29 AM
Sounds like a sweet axe. Now just get a hold of Dan out in CA,
http://www.torresengineering.com/
and order 2 of his 1 Meg volume pot's for that bad boy, and watch those Seymour's really come to life! :thumb:

I was ahead of the curve on that one... although they aren't from torres engineering. :thumb:

rabblerouser
09-17-2022, 03:11 PM
Anyone wanna post the embedded link up? I'm on my phone.

https://youtu.be/ZN5EBgLiMmo

Stewie
09-19-2022, 02:12 AM
Anyone follow Rhett Schull on YouTube?

Good channel

A recent video is buying the cheapest new Strat and "custom shopped" it to the hilt to see how it plays/sounds.

He's also documenting the build of his dream home studio.