PDA

View Full Version : Football Seahawks sign FS Earl Thomas to a new deal

The Franchise
04-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Rotoworld Football ‏@Rotoworld_FB 13m

Seahawks ink FS Thomas to 'blockbuster' deal http://dlvr.it/5WW0gx

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m

The #Seahawks four-year extension for safety Earl Thomas pays him $40 million base value with $27.725 million guaranteed, source says.

mdchiefsfan
04-28-2014, 03:18 PM
And the bar is set for Berry.

The Franchise
04-28-2014, 03:21 PM
No way that Berry is going to get paid more than that.

mdchiefsfan
04-28-2014, 03:21 PM
No way that Berry is going to get paid more than that.

Not saying he will, just saying that will be around what he'll be expecting now.

FRCDFED
04-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Serious question.........when comparing Thomas to Berry........who has earned a big money contract?

Please don't argue that Berry has been misused. it is what it is. Each team has to justify what they pay players based on how THEY use them. Just base your opinion solely on past performance AND future potential based on how they are CURRENTLY being used.

I think most are in agreement that if Berry played centerfield he would have more playmaking and gamechanging ability. I would argue that Berry has not earned the amount of money he has been paid on his first contract and therefore doesn't deserve a SECOND big money payday. Obviously he should be paid as an upper tier SS but not top FS money. JMO.

OldSchool
04-28-2014, 03:26 PM
Berry should get a little more than what Ward got from the Donkeys.

The Franchise
04-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Considering Berry's 1st contract was in the $50 million range.....I seriously doubt he's hitting that number again.

Just Passin' By
04-28-2014, 03:31 PM

In his 3 full seasons, Berry's been a Pro Bowler 3 times and was a first team All-Pro last season. Why on Earth would you think his salary should be in the Ward range?

FRCDFED
04-28-2014, 03:32 PM
I would like to think that we stop overpaying for some of our players. Yes we need to keep our best skill players but we seem to overpay just to keep them in KC. Unfortunately, until we start drafting better our hands are somewhat tied when it comes to negotiating new contracts. A good example would be Bowes contract. We had no other good options available at the time.

ModSocks
04-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Paying Berry what Thomas just got isn't overpaying.

Eric Berry is an All-Pro, 2x Pro Bowl safety and he's one of the best young safeties in a league that requires great safety play.

Apparently that's still not good enough for some of the pseudo experts on the board, and apparently he doesn't deserve to get paid top coin?

Eric Berry will get paid. I don't know if he gets MORE than Earl Thomas, but it'll be in that same ballpark.

ModSocks
04-28-2014, 03:44 PM

You should punch yourself in the balls repeatedly.

Marcellus
04-28-2014, 04:03 PM
How did we go from being cheap to overpaying all our players so suddenly?

OldSchool
04-28-2014, 04:06 PM
How did we go from being cheap to overpaying all our players so suddenly?

Probably cause of the Bowe contract.

Expecting Berry's deal to be something like 4-5 years and $38-45 mil deal.

FRCDFED
04-28-2014, 04:10 PM
How did we go from being cheap to overpaying all our players so suddenly?The contracts from some of our aging players (Hali, Flowers, etc) have impacted our ability to sign quality FA's this year. Thus giving the impression that we are stagnating or actually regressing as the rest of the league gears up.

Plus, with the looming contracts of Smith, Houston, and Berry those who used to call them the cheaps are seeing that there are consequences to overpaying players. At some point all players peak and start down the other side of the hill. Some run off a cliff.

Case and point: Who in their right mind would choose Hali over Houston if given a choice?

ModSocks
04-28-2014, 04:21 PM
The contracts from some of our aging players (Hali, Flowers, etc) have impacted our ability to sign quality FA's this year. Thus giving the impression that we are stagnating or actually regressing as the rest of the league gears up.

Plus, with the looming contracts of Smith, Houston, and Berry those who used to call them the cheaps are seeing that there are consequences to overpaying players. At some point all players peak and start down the other side of the hill. Some run off a cliff.

Case and point: Who in their right mind would choose Hali over Houston if given a choice?

When Hali and Flowers were signed, they were given fair market value contracts. They were by no means overpaid. If the Chiefs didn't pay them, then someone else would've. Players age and their productivity decreases. That's just the way it is for all 32 teams. The Chiefs can't all of a sudden stop paying their players because they won't be as productive 5 years from now.

If they did that, they'd be the Bills or the Browns. We're trying to move AWAY from those teams.

keg in kc
04-28-2014, 04:38 PM
The Chiefs were absolutely right signing Hali and Flowers to the contracts that they did. That's what you have to do with good players entering their prime. You reward them. That sends the message to everyone in the league that the franchise takes care of its own, and that's really important for both young players and for free agents they bring in.

BossChief
04-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Berrys contract demands shouldn't be based on Earl Thomas or Jarius Byrds deals.

He should be paid top dollar for what he brings to the team.

Those guys get paid in the 9-10 million per year range because they force turnovers and take away the deep ball. Berry doesn't do that.

OnTheWarpath15
04-28-2014, 05:05 PM
When Hali and Flowers were signed, they were given fair market value contracts. They were by no means overpaid. If the Chiefs didn't pay them, then someone else would've. Players age and their productivity decreases. That's just the way it is for all 32 teams. The Chiefs can't all of a sudden stop paying their players because they won't be as productive 5 years from now.

If they did that, they'd be the Bills or the Browns. We're trying to move AWAY from those teams.

Actually, they can and they should.

There's a reason why teams like Baltimore and New England have been contenders for what seems like forever - they know exactly when to let players in that 28-32 age range go, even if it might be unpopular with the fanbase.

Hali and Charles have two years left on their deals - to extend them would be asinine. Flowers has THREE years left, and probably should be a cap casualty in the next 12 months.

You can't spend all this money on guys that are already showing signs of slowing down, or in JC's case, a position that you shouldn't pay past age 30.

Simply Red
04-28-2014, 05:06 PM
The Chiefs were absolutely right signing Hali and Flowers to the contracts that they did. That's what you have to do with good players entering their prime. You reward them. That sends the message to everyone in the league that the franchise takes care of its own, and that's really important for both young players and for free agents they bring in.

http://i61.tinypic.com/fm5tsg.gif

OnTheWarpath15
04-28-2014, 05:07 PM

Back then, sure.

To extend them again?

No thanks.

BigMeatballDave
04-28-2014, 05:11 PM
You should punch yourself in the balls repeatedly.

LOL

Valiant
04-28-2014, 06:30 PM

There's a reason why teams like Baltimore and New England have been contenders for what seems like forever - they know exactly when to let players in that 28-32 age range go, even if it might be unpopular with the fanbase.

Hali and Charles have two years left on their deals - to extend them would be asinine. Flowers has THREE years left, and probably should be a cap casualty in the next 12 months.

You can't spend all this money on guys that are already showing signs of slowing down, or in JC's case, a position that you shouldn't pay past age 30.

Agree on most. JC I would pay. I think he has it in him to still do well.

SAUTO
04-28-2014, 06:52 PM

He wasn't advocating extending them again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smed1065
04-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Many said before the draft that he was better and was right IMHO. Most saying that now?

Smed1065
04-28-2014, 07:26 PM
But Berry is better. Same as usual here, the greatest or the step child. there is no in between or paying them as such.

Unlike most diehards, it is the re signings that make the most difference not the draft unless you have 12 plus picks. Same reason I did not mind 2 2nds for a QB that shows up. Option try 2 times and miss or get 1 QB for a second. Chances are less than it meant 1 second for a QB after years of whining for 1. Not always true but WTF after this many years. So we traded 2 seconds for a starting QB? Why so mad?

Because we may have got a starting QB versus 1 game changer for 2 picks since this "draft" is deep. LOL

Deep drafts = all draft picks are winners? Its a number game not the other way IMHO.

Just pisses me off that last year versus this years etc.
That means its odds.

My view is 2 2nds versus none for a QB that is better than most means we got a QB that is a starter versus a 50/50 starter elsewhere with the pick. Sorry I take the BS policy here that a QB is the best versus the trade
got granted based on their reasons. I'll take that and hope to improve on it. I mean I saw 2 second round picks for OL and yet they say OL is EZ.

So from 2 2nds means 1 starter, I think we got that player and it is a QB. Why is that a problem?

Smed1065
04-28-2014, 07:29 PM
I would think 5 versus 14 could be seen easy as most BS here. No

keg in kc
04-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Back then, sure.

To extend them again?

No thanks.I don't think that's going to be an issue, it's not the style Reid had in Philly nor is it the style Dorsey would have learned in Green Bay.

Just Passin' By
04-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Back then, sure.

To extend them again?

No thanks.

Charles is only 27. He'll be 28 next year, in the final year of his deal, and his cap hit will be over $7 million. If he's still running well at the end of this season, he'll be a good candidate for an extension.

fairladyZ
04-28-2014, 07:53 PM
berry is my favorite player on the roster at this point. And i think he DESERVES earl thomas money.. I think he is a better safety than earl thomas. he just doesn't play the same role, he plays the role we need him to and he hasn't complained once doing it. I think if we switched him to a FS role i think he'd piss on earl thomas. BUT i hope he doesn't take or demand earl thomas money. I hope he sees this team needs him to just be ok with making what he makes now or a little less. I'd be ok if they extend him for say 5yr/$40mil range. I think thats a decent deal to him and cuts us some slack. I hope they do it soon so i can buy a damn berry jersey!

BossChief
04-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Charles did an interview a few days ago where he seemed to be setting up for a possible holdout next offseason. Talking about how he is one of the rare backs that will produce into his mid 30s.

BossChief
04-28-2014, 07:55 PM
berry is my favorite player on the roster at this point. And i think he DESERVES earl thomas money.. I think he is a better safety than earl thomas. he just doesn't play the same role, he plays the role we need him to and he hasn't complained once doing it. I think if we switched him to a FS role i think he'd piss on earl thomas. BUT i hope he doesn't take or demand earl thomas money. I hope he sees this team needs him to just be ok with making what he makes now or a little less. I'd be ok if they extend him for say 5yr/$40mil range. I think thats a decent deal to him and cuts us some slack. I hope they do it soon so i can buy a damn berry jersey!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

OldSchool
04-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that Kam Chancellor does a better job of shutting down opposing TEs than Berry does? Chancellor kills Vernon Davis every time that they play against each other and Jimmy Graham was a complete non-factor with Chancellor on him. I'm not suggesting that Chancellor is lined up against the opposing TE for the entire game, but if there were a key guy that you pointed to on the Seahawks for that responsibility, it would be him.

O.city
04-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Look at Berrys numbers thru his first 48 games compared to Thomas.

Gotta remember one guy missed a year due to injury.

Berry needs a big year this year though.

O.city
04-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that Kam Chancellor does a better job of shutting down opposing TEs than Berry does? Chancellor kills Vernon Davis every time that they play against each other and Jimmy Graham was a complete non-factor with Chancellor on him. I'm not suggesting that Chancellor is lined up against the opposing TE for the entire game, but if there were a key guy that you pointed to on the Seahawks for that responsibility, it would be him.

What TE killed us last year?

notorious
04-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Is it possible that we had the best and worst players at safety this past season? :eek:

fairladyZ
04-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

i'll take this as agreement :toast:

ThaVirus
04-28-2014, 08:27 PM

I'd say you're wrong.

I don't remember a single TE scoring a TD on us in the regular season besides the one catch Julius Thomas had in Denver. Most of the time, it was Berry's job to lock them down so that says a lot about what he was able to do. Witten, Julius Thomas x2, Antonio Gates x2, Coby Fleener, Jordan Cameron- they all got shut down.

DTLB58
04-28-2014, 08:32 PM
I don't think that's going to be an issue, it's not the style Reid had in Philly nor is it the style Dorsey would have learned in Green Bay.

I don't think I'm basing anything that happened in G.B. With Dorsey what could or couldn't possibly happen in K.C. He is going to have to prove himself with his own track record here.

After FA spending the first year, Two 2nd's in a trade for a QB and how that contract was written for Bowe, there wasn't much about any of that, that screamed Packers.

Just saying, we've been down this road before with someone else where we said his track record says this or that. Then when it's really their turn they don't how the F*** to run a team!

thabear04
04-29-2014, 02:04 AM
Paying Berry what Thomas just got isn't overpaying.

Eric Berry is an All-Pro, 2x Pro Bowl safety and he's one of the best young safeties in a league that requires great safety play.

Apparently that's still not good enough for some of the pseudo experts on the board, and apparently he doesn't deserve to get paid top coin?

Eric Berry will get paid. I don't know if he gets MORE than Earl Thomas, but it'll be in that same ballpark.

3X pro bowl

thabear04
04-29-2014, 02:05 AM
I'd say you're wrong.

I don't remember a single TE scoring a TD on us in the regular season besides the one catch Julius Thomas had in Denver. Most of the time, it was Berry's job to lock them down so that says a lot about what he was able to do. Witten, Julius Thomas x2, Antonio Gates x2, Coby Fleener, Jordan Cameron- they all got shut down.

I think maybe Green from chargers?

OldSchool
04-29-2014, 02:40 AM
I'd say you're wrong.

I guess the image of Kam Chancellor doing this on a routine basis to anything that tries to catch a ball in his area just kind of sticks in my mind. He's honestly my ideal SS; the guy who will legally knock the f out of receivers, big or small.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/imager/inevitable-result-seahawks-safety-kam-chancellors-hit-on-49ers-tight-end/b/original/2321619/fcd7/s.VDout_.1227_0.jpg

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1733171/iVXWsSWEsLdf7.gif

http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2014/01/20/KamHit.gif?1390183133

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3948341/kamhit2.gif

I can't think of another safety out there who can knock an OL player off of his feet in run support and still be in place to make the play himself as well.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2013/10/18/KamDoes.gif

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/844448/4u9a29.gif

Very few players in this league can do this to Boldin.
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/887249/boom.gif

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/879816/seqdc0_jpg.gif

He's the Boom in the Legion of Boom. He is the defensive player of this generation that can truly instill fear in opposing players and set the tone with his violent hits. He's more devastating than any of the other similar players because he has LB size. No one in the NFL does this more consistently and cleanly than Kam Chancellor can.

Damn, if we could got a Chancellor in this draft and kick Berry over to FS, I'd be ecstatic. Best bet for us is Telvin Smith.

Aspengc8
04-29-2014, 05:41 AM
And the bar is set for Berry.

Lets be real here. Berry is very good, but not on ET's level. Berry is not very good in man coverage.

chiefzilla1501
04-29-2014, 05:49 AM

For real? Berry is a million times better than Ward.

Ward is a solid player. But he is as traditional a SS as you're going to get. The Browns dumped him and then paid MORE money to Donte Whitner. What does that tell you?

Unlike Ward, Berry has the speed to also rush the passer. By a mile, he had the most sacks, hurries, and pass rush attempts of any safety in the league. He is also used in a wide range of roles beyond just covering tight ends and stuffing the run.

chiefzilla1501
04-29-2014, 06:01 AM
Berrys contract demands shouldn't be based on Earl Thomas or Jarius Byrds deals.

He should be paid top dollar for what he brings to the team.

Those guys get paid in the 9-10 million per year range because they force turnovers and take away the deep ball. Berry doesn't do that.

What a one-dimensional way of evaluating a Safety.

I like the idea of Berry playing Center Field. But what does Eric Berry bring to the team? He was second in tackles for a loss with 7. Among Safeties, he led the league in QB hurries, pass rush attempts, and sacks with 3.5. He is moved around probably more than any Safety, playing everything from Linebacker to Strong Safety to deep middle. Unlike most Strong Safeties, he is asked to play closer to the line, which means he is often quarterbacking his linebackers into making adjustments. That's in addition to already being one of the best Safeties in the league at shutting down the run and covering tight ends.

If Donte Whitner is worth $7M, Berry is easily worth more. Berry will be a much better version of Whitner. If they move him to Free Safety, I think he could definitely play at Earl Thomas level. Pay the guy.

FRCDFED
04-29-2014, 07:15 AM
If they move him to Free Safety, I think he could definitely play at Earl Thomas level. Pay the guy.

This is a problematic mindset. You don't pay someone that much money based on "if."

He needs to play that position and earn the type of coin that comes with it "if" and only "if" he is a game changer. Merely playing FS alone does not warrant getting paid in the top tier just because some other FS got paid. That's the problem with the NFL. Everyone thinks they deserve millions of dollars. Cap goes up, ticket prices go up.

At the moment, Thomas is the better FS. He got paid like it. Until Berry matches or surpasses Thomas' accomplishments at the position and "proves" he is a game changer at the NFL level then how does one justify that Berry should get paid as much as Thomas? IMO he shouldn't.

htismaqe
04-29-2014, 08:03 AM
I can't wait until they let Berry go. I can't wait.

Pay Alex Smith $100M but let Eric Berry walk.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

RunKC
04-29-2014, 08:17 AM

Pay Alex Smith $100M but let Eric Berry walk.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

You shit your dirty whorish mouth!!!!!

I will throw things if this happens

chiefzilla1501
04-29-2014, 08:21 AM
This is a problematic mindset. You don't pay someone that much money based on "if."

He needs to play that position and earn the type of coin that comes with it "if" and only "if" he is a game changer. Merely playing FS alone does not warrant getting paid in the top tier just because some other FS got paid. That's the problem with the NFL. Everyone thinks they deserve millions of dollars. Cap goes up, ticket prices go up.

At the moment, Thomas is the better FS. He got paid like it. Until Berry matches or surpasses Thomas' accomplishments at the position and "proves" he is a game changer at the NFL level then how does one justify that Berry should get paid as much as Thomas? IMO he shouldn't.

They play two different positions. I don't understand the point of comparing the two. If anything, the standard should be done whitners 7 m deal. Berry is definitely better than Whitner. Devaluing what Berry does because he doesn't put up sexy stats is silly. He is by a mile the best strong safety in the game so it doesn't hurt to pay him handsomely.

htismaqe
04-29-2014, 08:28 AM
You shit your dirty whorish mouth!!!!!

I will throw things if this happens

No shit. But there's actually people here that would be ok with that.

The Franchise
04-29-2014, 09:21 AM

Pay Alex Smith $100M but let Eric Berry and Justin Houston walk.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

FYP

-King-
04-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Lets be real here. Berry is very good, but not on ET's level. Berry is not very good in man coverage.

Thomas isn't asked to play man coverage. Hell Berry plays more man than Thomas does.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
04-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Thomas isn't asked to play man coverage. Hell Berry plays more man than Thomas does.
Posted via Mobile Device

This.

Thomas is surrounded by the talent that allows him to be a ball hawking safety. Berry has a TON more responsibilities than Thomas.

RunKC
04-29-2014, 11:36 AM
No shit. But there's actually people here that would be ok with that.

Only way that would work for me is if Commings turns into a badass Safety and our first pick is a safety that turns into a badass.

Not likely tho

htismaqe
04-29-2014, 11:37 AM
This.

Thomas is surrounded by the talent that allows him to be a ball hawking safety. Berry has a TON more responsibilities than Thomas.

Eric Berry is probably the key player on defense. Justin Houston might be arguably more important (due to the sack thing) but nobody is more key.

ThaVirus
04-29-2014, 11:41 AM
We can't let Houston, Poe or Berry get away. Pay those guys.

ModSocks
04-29-2014, 11:44 AM
Eric Berry is probably the key player on defense. Justin Houston might be arguably more important (due to the sack thing) but nobody is more key.

I've mentioned this before, but we did some work on a Pro-QB's car. I talked to him about the Chiefs a little, and he said that when they study the Chiefs D (which he called very good and very well coached), the two players that have to be accounted for on every snap are Berry and DJ. He said that Berry is their best player, and he also predicted that Houston was going to be better than Hali (this was prior to Houston's sophmore season).

Reerun_KC
04-29-2014, 11:45 AM

and Berry cant cover a TE for shit either....

-King-
04-29-2014, 11:47 AM
and Berry cant cover a TE for shit either....

You are consistently the worst poster on this forum on any subject. Good job.

RunKC
04-29-2014, 11:48 AM
I would say that Dontari Poe is the key piece. He's the most valuable player on the team IMO. It's almost impossible to find a guy like him at that position. His play impacts literally everyone.

Reerun_KC
04-29-2014, 11:49 AM
You are consistently the worst poster on this forum on any subject. Good job.

I would rather be the worst poster than the one that slurps at the ballsack of the Chiefs all the time...

Congrats, no one can compare.

ModSocks
04-29-2014, 11:51 AM
I would rather be the worst poster than the one that slurps at the ballsack of the Chiefs all the time...

You have stats from last season to back up your claim?

-King-
04-29-2014, 11:52 AM

What in 5 fucks are you talking about?

Just Passin' By

:facepalm:

There's a vast middle ground.

The Franchise

No....he doesn't.

Reerun_KC

I might have to go to the "game tape" to get this info.

-King-
04-29-2014, 11:55 AM

Yeah Berry is key. I hope we can get another safety to take the load off and Berry can do more ball hawking and play center field more, but as of right now, looks like he'll continue to play 10 yards off the LOS and have more responsibilities than most if not all other safeties in the league.

ModSocks
04-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Game tape huh?

Well, stats will surely reflect the "game tape". If Berry is routinely being abused by TE's, then it'll show in the box score.

Yes, he struggled with TE's in his rookie year. A lot has changed since then. Players have the tendency to develop over the course of a few years.

htismaqe
04-29-2014, 11:59 AM
:facepalm:

There's a vast middle ground.

This is Chiefsplanet. What is this middle ground you speak of?

Titty Meat
04-29-2014, 12:00 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Thomas took Jimmy Graham out of the playoff game

Reerun_KC
04-29-2014, 12:02 PM
This is Chiefsplanet. What is this middle ground you speak of?

You mean to tell me Chiefsplanet isn't real?

htismaqe
04-29-2014, 12:03 PM
I would say that Dontari Poe is the key piece. He's the most valuable player on the team IMO. It's almost impossible to find a guy like him at that position. His play impacts literally everyone.

I think we'd be hard-pressed to find another guy like Berry too. His type of versatility doesn't come around often.

-King-
04-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Thomas took Jimmy Graham out of the playoff game

Kam was on Graham much more than Thomas was. For the most part they kept Thomas deep in center field.

CallMeSquidwad
04-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Serious question.........when comparing Thomas to Berry........who has earned a big money contract?

Please don't argue that Berry has been misused. it is what it is. Each team has to justify what they pay players based on how THEY use them. Just base your opinion solely on past performance AND future potential based on how they are CURRENTLY being used.

I think most are in agreement that if Berry played centerfield he would have more playmaking and gamechanging ability. I would argue that Berry has not earned the amount of money he has been paid on his first contract and therefore doesn't deserve a SECOND big money payday. Obviously he should be paid as an upper tier SS but not top FS money. JMO.

It is comments like this that make me question how some of you morons can call yourselves fans. ????? Would you take Earl Thomas' play making over EB's so far in the NFL? Like EB recently said, it has already been set in stone that he can play centerfield better than anyone, but his role is so much more important than merely dropping back into a deep zone...I hope you are honestly not that dumb. EB's role when compared to the Seahawks is Chancellor+Thurmond+Malcolm Smith combined into 1...he shuts down TE's, impacts the play everytime he blitzes, and plays zone coverage like Polamalu, but that isn't enough for you??? He needs to get a few more stats? Does Poe do enough for you? What about Anthony Sherman? Stats don't mean dogshit, these 3 were 3 of our biggest impact players, yet stats would indicate tghat Donnie Avery did more for us than Sherman.....GTFOH clown you better be trolling or else I truly must ask that you stop pronouncing yourself as a Chiefs fan, it's embarrassing.

htismaqe
04-29-2014, 12:25 PM
EB's role when compared to the Seahawks is Chancellor+Thurmond+Malcolm Smith combined into 1...

This needed extra emphasis.

CallMeSquidwad
04-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Kam was on Graham much more than Thomas was. For the most part they kept Thomas deep in center field.

People are blind, they see what they want to see.

FRCDFED
04-29-2014, 01:00 PM
It is comments like this that make me question how some of you morons can call yourselves fans. ????? Would you take Earl Thomas' play making over EB's so far in the NFL? Like EB recently said, it has already been set in stone that he can play centerfield better than anyone, but his role is so much more important than merely dropping back into a deep zone...I hope you are honestly not that dumb. EB's role when compared to the Seahawks is Chancellor+Thurmond+Malcolm Smith combined into 1...he shuts down TE's, impacts the play everytime he blitzes, and plays zone coverage like Polamalu, but that isn't enough for you??? He needs to get a few more stats? Does Poe do enough for you? What about Anthony Sherman? Stats don't mean dogshit, these 3 were 3 of our biggest impact players, yet stats would indicate tghat Donnie Avery did more for us than Sherman.....GTFOH clown you better be trolling or else I truly must ask that you stop pronouncing yourself as a Chiefs fan, it's embarrassing.

Take your medication and then you will be allowed to come back to the grown-up table and participate in the conversation.

ThaVirus
04-29-2014, 03:19 PM
I guess the image of Kam Chancellor doing this on a routine basis to anything that tries to catch a ball in his area just kind of sticks in my mind. He's honestly my ideal SS; the guy who will legally knock the f out of receivers, big or small.

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/10/kam_chancellor_destroying_vernon_davis-90278.gif

He's the Boom in the Legion of Boom. He is the defensive player of this generation that can truly instill fear in opposing players and set the tone with his violent hits. He's more devastating than any of the other similar players because he has LB size. No one in the NFL does this more consistently and cleanly than Kam Chancellor can.

Damn, if we could got a Chancellor in this draft and kick Berry over to FS, I'd be ecstatic. Best bet for us is Telvin Smith.

Kam Chancellor is impressive but it's important to note a few things: he's 6'3" 230 pounds as opposed to Berry's 6' 205, he plays in a totally different scheme, and he does it with totally different talent around him.

Honestly, Chancellor could play LB with his size. Also, his role in their defense, while more comparable to Berry's in ours than Earl Thomas', still isn't exactly the same. We run so much man, it isn't exactly conducive to allowing Berry those opportunities to make big hits on crossing receivers. Watch all of those big hits Kam makes in the gifs you highlighted, he appears to be in zone coverage in every single one of them.

Plus, of course, he has the added benefit of being surrounded by the best CB to his left and the best FS to his right on every play with a much more consistent pass rush than we enjoy. Tell me, in the first 9 weeks of the 2013 season when we were getting a monster pass rush, what safety would you say was better than Berry?

Anyway, you prompted me to want to go back and find some gifs of Berry's more physical play. I was perusing the old Gif'd Up threads and found a few gems. These are just from the 2010 season:

Laying wood to force an incompletion:

http://i37.tinypic.com/30ma9gj.jpg

Navigating through traffic to make the stop:

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/49ers/belcher.gif

Taking on a pulling guard:

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/49ers/berry.gif

Blowing up a lead blocking FB to make the stop:

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/530067/2viqvte_jpg_medium.gif

You can see him laying wood on a crossing receiver here:

http://i55.tinypic.com/ip2qfr.jpg

Rushing the passer:

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/jags2/berry3.gif

Looking like a missile making another big hit:

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/billies/new/berryhit.gif

Taking on a FB in open space:

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/RAMS/berry.gif

Damn, I just reminisced like a mother****er looking through that entire 2010 Gif'd Up thread.

ThaVirus
04-29-2014, 03:22 PM
I think maybe Green from chargers?

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about him.

But he's a back up TE to Gates. Without re-watching the game, I'd guess he didn't draw Berry's coverage assignments very often over Antonio.

Also, I remember them talking about him after that game; apparently he's the fastest guy (in pads) on their offense and they often line him up as a receiver because of it.

OldSchool
04-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Yeah, Berry is a good hitter for a 200 pound safety, but Kam's hits truly puts the fear in opposing receivers. It's amazing how timid Vernon Davis becomes when facing the Seahawks because of what Chancellor does to him. I haven't seen another safety currently in the league that is able to do that on a routine basis.

I'd love for us to draft our own Kam Chancellor (Telvin Smith) and move Berry to the FS role.

RunKC
04-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Yeah, Berry is a good hitter for a 200 pound safety, but Kam's hits truly puts the fear in opposing receivers. It's amazing how timid Vernon Davis becomes when facing the Seahawks because of what Chancellor does to him. I haven't seen another safety currently in the league that is able to do that on a routine basis.

I'd love for us to draft our own Kam Chancellor (Telvin Smith) and move Berry to the FS role.

Would love telvin but idk if he'll be there for us in rd 3.

Marcellus
04-29-2014, 03:51 PM

Well a simple way to look at this would be to go here -

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/2013/points-allowed.cfm?pos=TE

and notice Chiefs defense gave up -

The 2nd fewest receptions to TE in the NFL. (60)

4 TD's to TE which is 4th.

615 yards which was 2nd.

Berry was pretty much 1 on 1 with TE all season from what I saw while watching every single game so he is damn near solely responsible for this.

But yea, Berry can't cover a tight end worth a shit.

BTW Seattle was worse than KC in all these stats.

BossChief
04-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Berry wasn't 1 on 1 with the tight ends all year. C'mon man.

Let's try to keep it real. He did a really good job covering them and jamming them, but let's not get totally carried away here.

Marcellus
04-29-2014, 04:53 PM

Let's try to keep it real. He did a really good job covering them and jamming them, but let's not get totally carried away here.

Sure he was for the most part.

Titty Meat
04-29-2014, 06:39 PM
People are blind, they see what they want to see.

Fuck you

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000312142/article/michael-bennett-jimmy-graham-is-soft-overrated

The swarming Seattle Seahawks defense was excellent as a group Saturday against New Orleans. But no one was better than safety Earl Thomas, who helped to hold Jimmy Graham to just eight yards receiving.

Marcellus
04-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Interesting read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2045931-eric-berry-earl-thomas-and-what-it-means-for-the-kansas-city-chiefs?search_query=eric%20berry

3. Berry Could Be Cheaper
According to Pro Football Focus, Eric Berry (+14.5) was a better cumulative player than Earl Thomas (+7.5) and Jarius Byrd (+9.9) last season. Even more surprisingly, Berry graded higher in pass coverage than both of those men. This becomes more impressive when one considers Berry was targeted 63 times compared to Thomas and Byrd’s combine 50 targets.
However, it also tells you how good Thomas and Byrd are that they can post such high numbers with so few targets. Their abilities to create plays with few opportunities is what helps them get the nod over Berry.

O.city
04-29-2014, 08:00 PM
So Berry was targeted more, and still graded higher. Cool.

ThaVirus
04-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Shit, I hope we can get Berry cheaper but comparing FS and SS is so disingenuous.

O.city
04-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Shit, I hope we can get Berry cheaper but comparing FS and SS is so disingenuous.

In todays NFL, it seems alot of teams are starting to view the two as interchangable.

ThaVirus
04-29-2014, 08:03 PM
In todays NFL, it seems alot of teams are starting to view the two as interchangable.

Sure. Let the Seahawks put Chancellor at FS and move Thomas to SS and see what happens..

O.city
04-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Sure. Let the Seahawks put Chancellor at FS and move Thomas to SS and see what happens..

I don't think it would be the abortion some think.

CallMeSquidwad
04-29-2014, 08:06 PM

Please go away. We had Kam Chancellor before, his name was Bernard Pollard.

Chiefs=Champions
04-29-2014, 08:07 PM
It is comments like this that make me question how some of you morons can call yourselves fans. ????? Would you take Earl Thomas' play making over EB's so far in the NFL? Like EB recently said, it has already been set in stone that he can play centerfield better than anyone, but his role is so much more important than merely dropping back into a deep zone...I hope you are honestly not that dumb. EB's role when compared to the Seahawks is Chancellor+Thurmond+Malcolm Smith combined into 1...he shuts down TE's, impacts the play everytime he blitzes, and plays zone coverage like Polamalu, but that isn't enough for you???

This times a billion.

CallMeSquidwad
04-29-2014, 08:07 PM

I have to ask where your basis for this is? Did you watch a single game?

Simplicity
04-29-2014, 08:13 PM

And what is wrong with Pollard?

Marcellus
04-29-2014, 08:16 PM
And what is wrong with Pollard?

Do you mean besides the fact he missed half his tackle attempts?

Aside from missing half his tackles he was alright.

SAUTO
04-29-2014, 08:24 PM

Bullshit
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
04-29-2014, 08:25 PM

This
Posted via Mobile Device

RealSNR
04-29-2014, 08:26 PM
I don't think it would be the abortion some think.

Of course it wouldn't be an abortion. Eric Berry's NFL career is hardly an abortion.

It is doubtful, however, that people would talk about Earl Thomas the way they do if those positions were switched.

Simplicity
04-29-2014, 08:30 PM

He's been pretty damn good with the Ravens. May have been just average here in KC though... and he did start the reign of Cassel...

Sorter
04-29-2014, 08:58 PM

Blackbob sighting.

Marcellus
04-29-2014, 09:02 PM
He's been pretty damn good with the Ravens. May have been just average here in KC though... and he did start the reign of Cassel...

He has 1 decent season with them. That doesn't make him good.

chiefzilla1501
04-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Eric Berry rushed the passer 60 times (as of December 12th). I don't know how many times he played in the box as a LB, but I bet it's plenty.

It's a shame he wasn't getting a shitload of interceptions in all those snaps. But by all means, let's rate his performance by total # of interceptions.

mcaj22
04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Eric Berry rushed the passer 60 times (as of December 12th). I don't know how many times he played in the box as a LB, but I bet it's plenty.

It's a shame he wasn't getting a shitload of interceptions in all those snaps. But by all means, let's rate his performance by total # of interceptions.

I'd rather rate a guy in a passing league by the amount of interceptions he has than the amount of box tackles

ThaVirus
04-29-2014, 10:25 PM
I'd rather rate a guy in a passing league by the amount of interceptions he has than the amount of box tackles

While ignoring the fact that the very scheme he plays in isn't nearly as conducive to creating INTs as the people he's compared to?

Why don't we judge Earl Thomas based on his sack and tackle for loss totals? Berry shits on him there. I wonder why...

ThaVirus
04-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Oh, and Berry averages just under 3 INTs a year as opposed to Thomas who averages just under 4. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Pass breakups? Berry has 30 in 3 seasons. Thomas has 33 in 4.

Just Passin' By
04-29-2014, 10:56 PM

I'd rather rate a safety by how good a safety he is overall than by looking at interception totals. INT totals have too many variables to be a reliable enough measure.

CallMeSquidwad
04-29-2014, 11:02 PM

May have been average in KC.....seriously does anyone on this website even watch our games?

CallMeSquidwad
04-29-2014, 11:04 PM
I'd rather rate a safety by how good a safety he is overall than by looking at interception totals. INT totals have too many variables to be a reliable enough measure.

His comment was dumb enough...it spoke for itself

CallMeSquidwad
04-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Blackbob sighting.

hi dad

RealSNR
04-29-2014, 11:18 PM
Oh, and Berry averages just under 3 INTs a year as opposed to Thomas who averages just under 4. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Pass breakups? Berry has 30 in 3 seasons. Thomas has 33 in 4.

I fully expect some dumbass to bust out the "Earl Thomas has a Super Bowl ring" argument now.

RealSNR
04-29-2014, 11:19 PM
May have been average in KC.....seriously does anyone on this website even watch our games?

No kidding.

The dude was fucking awful.

BossChief
04-29-2014, 11:22 PM
This place is like crack to that crackhead.

RealSNR
04-29-2014, 11:25 PM
Bernard Pollard, Dexter McCluster, and Brandon Siler.

Stars on the all-Blackbob team

Sorter
04-29-2014, 11:30 PM

LMAO

milkman
04-30-2014, 09:06 AM
I would really like to see a breakdown of snaps to compare the number of plays that Berry lines up in the box compared to Chancelor.

I believe, and I could easily be wrong, that you'd find that Berry is lining up in the box on roughly 60-65% of plays, and Chancelor does it on fewer than 35% of plays.

Also, Old School(?) gets excited on plays in those gifs he posts when Chancelor makes the big hits in coverage, when Berry, coming from the same position, with his speed, would more than likely be making plays on the ball.

-King-
04-30-2014, 02:41 PM

Bernard Pollard is to Kam Chancellor what Matt Cassel is to Aaron Rodgers.

Shockaholic
04-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Earl Thomas signs a fatty deal..... And.... Berrys gone

SAUTO
04-30-2014, 03:25 PM

he was below average with us and there is a reason he's not a raven anymore

SAUTO
04-30-2014, 03:26 PM

do you?

ModSocks
04-30-2014, 03:39 PM

Ah yes. The epic Brandon Siler is better than DJ argument. Good times, good times.

saphojunkie
04-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Ah yes. The epic Brandon Siler is better than DJ argument. Good times, good times.

Wasn't there one about Dexter being faster than Jamaal Charles, too?

The Franchise
04-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Wasn't there one about Dexter being faster than Jamaal Charles, too?

Not faster.....quicker.

alexsmithsfan
04-30-2014, 04:25 PM
i hope smith get's a blockbuster deal like this. he deserves it.

ThaVirus
04-30-2014, 04:31 PM
i hope smith get's a blockbuster deal like this. he deserves it.

$10 mil a year? Me too, buddy.

milkman
04-30-2014, 04:37 PM

Pretty sure there would only be a couple of morons that wouldn't go for that.

ThaVirus
04-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Inmem?

Sorter
04-30-2014, 07:50 PM

Anything under 22M/y is a steal, IMO.

Guy should be making close to 35.