PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Should NBA players be held to the same standard?

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2014, 09:59 AM
First I want to say that I totally agree with the league booting this idiot. How can they expect him to manage an NBA team when he isn’t even capable of managing one whore.
If what players and owners do reflects badly on the league should there really be a double standard here? IF we went back and put a microscope to every NBA players personal comments how many players in the league right now would handed their walking papers?
The other thing that bugs me is we seem to be a society where race baiting is condoned and promoted by our media even in 2014. This is a league where athlete’s make more than any other team sport and has more blacks in management and ownership than any other sport yet the idiot they interviewed before the game wants to shake down the whole league even after this response from the NBA.

ModSocks
04-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Of course they SHOULD be held to the same standard. Will they be? Hard to say. The closest example we have is Riley Cooper. Riley Cooper was ridden pretty hard.....but then got a fat new contract....he also doesn't have a long history of racism like Sterling.

dirk digler
04-30-2014, 10:11 AM
I doubt that any player in any league will be held to the same standard especially in the NBA where it is a player driven league.

KC native
04-30-2014, 10:19 AM
They should only be held to the same standard if they aren't vaccinated.

J Diddy
04-30-2014, 10:22 AM
I doubt that any player in any league will be held to the same standard especially in the NBA where it is a player driven league.

Proof positive is the gay player who said that one player (who he wouldn't name publicly) used a homosexual slur in a game. Where's the lifetime ban for that guy?

Bambi
04-30-2014, 10:25 AM
No. Player vs Owner. It's not really close.

listopencil
04-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Off the top of my head, players shouldn't be held to the same standard as owners because they aren't in the same position. Leaders are held to different standards within an organization. Can't handle that? Don't be a leader.

ptlyon
04-30-2014, 11:38 AM
"one whore" ROFL

Eleazar
04-30-2014, 11:44 AM
The league is catering to the desires of its audience, and its audience obviously abhors racism on the part of old white men.

That same audience doesn't want to see star players being kicked out of the league, it would diminish their interested in the league so the league won't be doing that.

loochy
04-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Only if a player's bad behavior outrages the fan base so much that it costs the NBA money

RealSNR
04-30-2014, 11:46 AM
They ARE held to the same standard. Riley Cooper got punished by his league just as Donald Sterling was by his.

KC native
04-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Only if a player's bad behavior outrages the fan base so much that it costs the NBA money

Yes, but we have to weigh whether they were vaccinated or not. Vaccinations are evil and cause people to develop autism, bad behavior, alcoholism, drug abuse, and raping white women.

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Off the top of my head, players shouldn't be held to the same standard as owners because they aren't in the same position. Leaders are held to different standards within an organization. Can't handle that? Don't be a leader.

No. Player vs Owner. It's not really close.

Really, in my world employees who make millions who do things in their person life that reflect badly on their employers get fired.

RealSNR
04-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Donald Sterling was vaccinated as a child

KC native
04-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Donald Sterling was vaccinated as a child

So was Riley Cooper.

Eleazar
04-30-2014, 11:52 AM
David Stern is genetically modified

KC native
04-30-2014, 11:54 AM
David Stern is genetically modified

and possibly vaccinated.

BIG_DADDY
04-30-2014, 11:55 AM
The league is catering to the desires of its audience, and its audience obviously abhors racism on the part of old white men.

That same audience doesn't want to see star players being kicked out of the league, it would diminish their interested in the league so the league won't be doing that.

Good take. It's just the double standard we live with now. It's the same reason race baiters who often times cause more problems than the people they criticize are allowed to blab on incessantly and spread their hate for their own personal gain and it's seen as all good.

KC native
04-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Good take. It's just the double standard we live with now. It's the same reason race baiters who often times cause more problems than the people they criticize are allowed to blab on incessantly and spread their hate for their own personal gain and it's seen as all good.

If only their parents hadn't vaccinated them.

cosmo20002
04-30-2014, 11:59 AM
The SAME standard? No.
Player is not the same as owner.

MIAdragon
04-30-2014, 12:03 PM
It's ok to hate the white man.

Sully
04-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Depends on which standard we are talking about.
The standard of saying stupid shit and catching hell for it? Sure, I have no issue with that, although society as a whole doesn't feel the same way. The standard of, if you put the league's money-making at risk then you're out... I assume they already are playing under that same standard.

loochy
04-30-2014, 12:13 PM

quiet you autistic but flu-free person

planetdoc
04-30-2014, 12:15 PM

being an owner of something doesnt make one a leader. For example, one can be a majority shareholder in a company and not be a leader....just invested.

dirk digler
04-30-2014, 12:16 PM

Do you think the same result would happen if an NFL owner said those things?

ThatRaceCardGuy
04-30-2014, 12:16 PM
We're talking about leadership roles and subordinate roles..totally different levels of accountability. Did you ask this same question in relation to owners being held accountable for their actions when player's were banned for life from a sport due to drug use or murder? Just asking

Baby Lee
04-30-2014, 12:24 PM
Really, in my world employees who make millions who do things in their person life that reflect badly on their employers get fired.

And they re-enter the workforce.

Not the same dynamics when the workforce is pro football.

cosmo20002
04-30-2014, 12:24 PM

It usually IS employees who get punished while the employer/owner can get away with much more...because there's generally no one to fire him.

But Sterling happens to own a franchise in a larger organization. It's their rules and their decision, so tough shit for him this time.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2014, 12:25 PM
should black racists be held to the same standard as white racists?

Lzen
04-30-2014, 12:26 PM

Is this really necessary? :spock: I mean, sure, I don't agree with Big Daddy's opinions against vaccinations. But that was awhile ago and it's been hashed out over and over. It's kind of childish to continue to rail on him about it in a completely different topic.

As for the topic, here's something related to this. What does everyone think about Larry Johnson's (the former basketball player now Knicks exec.) comments?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/28/knicks-larry-johnson-calls-all-black-nba-league/

KC native
04-30-2014, 12:27 PM

It depends on whether they have been vaccinated.

If they have, then no. bcuz vaccinations

If they haven't, then yes. bcuz racist

loochy
04-30-2014, 12:27 PM

nope

KC native
04-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Is this really necessary?

Yes

Lzen
04-30-2014, 12:28 PM
nope

:spock:

WilliamTheIrish
04-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Is this really necessary? :spock: I mean, sure, I don't agree with Big Daddy's opinions against vaccinations. But that was awhile ago and it's been hashed out over and over. It's kind of childish to continue to rail on him about it in a completely different topic.

As for the topic, here's something related to this. What does everyone think about Larry Johnson's (the former basketball player now Knicks exec.) comments?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/28/knicks-larry-johnson-calls-all-black-nba-league/

Big deal.

KC native
04-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Grandmama is a dumb fuck. I'm surprised anyone would hire him.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2014, 12:30 PM
nope

follow-up

Can black people be racist?

KC native
04-30-2014, 12:31 PM
follow-up

If muzlem, yes.

If not muzlem, no.

Lzen
04-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Big deal.

So you think it's okay for someone to be racist as long as they are not white?

Okay, perhaps that was a bit harsh. I know Grandmama's comments aren't as bad as Sterling's. And I feel that Sterling got what he deserved. But it seems to me that there is a double standard. And maybe I just misinterpreted your comment. Please correct me if you feel that I'm wrong.

ThatRaceCardGuy
04-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Thread starter playing the race card..

loochy
follow-up

nope

loochy
:spock:

why :spock:?

Lzen
04-30-2014, 12:38 PM
why :spock:?

Do I really need to explain. You are saying that black racists are not the same as white racists. To me, a racist is a racist and all need to be treated harshly.

ThatRaceCardGuy
04-30-2014, 12:39 PM
So basically the thread starter wanted to point out black people get away with racism....

loochy
04-30-2014, 12:40 PM
Do I really need to explain. You are saying that black racists are not the same as white racists. To me, a racist is a racist and all need to be treated harshly.

Then you don't know anything about anything. Ask Thatguy. Black people can't be racists in the same way that weed can't have any bad side effects.

ThatRaceCardGuy
04-30-2014, 12:40 PM
"BLACK PEOPLE ARE RACIST AND HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS AND ITS NOT FAIR THEY GET TO DO IT AND I CAN'T! "- Thread starter.

ThatRaceCardGuy
04-30-2014, 12:42 PM
" racism only exist when it's a black person doing it!"- Thread starter.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2014, 12:43 PM
nope
I had a roommate/friend who said the same.

He insisted that a black person couldn't be racist because racism was about black people. Even when i brought up a black person being racist about another minority. He fervently insisted that it wasn't possible.

He(black) also insisted that I(white) couldn't say 'I think that black woman is pretty/not pretty' because i was white and couldn't understand black beauty.

loochy
04-30-2014, 12:45 PM
He(black) also insisted that I(white) couldn't say 'I think that black woman is pretty/not pretty' because i was white and couldn't understand black beauty.

No, it's just because you are evil because you are white.

And you are a racist....

...because you are white.

WilliamTheIrish
04-30-2014, 12:47 PM
So you think it's okay for someone to be racist as long as they are not white?

Okay, perhaps that was a bit harsh. I know Grandmama's comments aren't as bad as Sterling's. And I feel that Sterling got what he deserved. But it seems to me that there is a double standard. And maybe I just misinterpreted your comment. Please correct me if you feel that I'm wrong.

You're overly sensitive. LJ said that black folks should be owners, not just participants in the world of basketball. Creating jobs and opportunity in all aspects of the business of basketball.
He's right too. I don't see anything racial about that. Blacks dominate the game and if I were Oprah or any other black person with incredible wealth I would try to create wealth for other folks of my tribe.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2014, 12:50 PM
No, it's just because you are evil because you are white.

And you are a racist....

...because you are white.
well that triggered even my sarcas-o-meter

Demonpenz
04-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Ooopsie-He had a 130 pound Pit Bulls and assault weapons and broke apart in mid-air while not having a good ending to either Old Country for Old Men or Breaking Bad all the while John Goodman died and rose on the third day and made an MS Paint portrait of Airwolf all the while making people's wives fat and dumping dog shit onto the neighbors yard.

loochy
04-30-2014, 12:51 PM
well that triggered even my sarcas-o-meter

i had to move to extra sarcasm because it was slipping under some peoples' radar

WilliamTheIrish
04-30-2014, 12:51 PM
I had a roommate/friend who said the same.

He insisted that a black person couldn't be racist because racism was about black people. Even when i brought up a black person being racist about another minority. He fervently insisted that it wasn't possible.

I don't think I want to paint an entire group with the brush of your roommate. Or, you've been watching White Men Can't Jump on a loop.

Jerm
04-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Why does a thread like this always pop up when some dumb ass person that is white and racist get busted for said behavior?

Ugh...

loochy
04-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Ooopsie-He had a 130 pound Pit Bulls and assault weapons and broke apart in mid-air while not having a good ending to either Old Country for Old Men or Breaking Bad all the while John Goodman died and rose on the third day and made an MS Paint portrait of Airwolf all the while making people's wives fat and dumping dog shit onto the neighbors yard.

But can Airwolf be racist? It's both black AND white!

http://www.rc-heli-zwartewaal.nl/foto/Airwolf/airwolf.jpg

loochy
04-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Why does a thread like this always pop up when some dumb ass person that is white and racist get busted for said behavior?

Ugh...

because fake outrage and twitterbookagram

alnorth
04-30-2014, 12:53 PM
If a white NBA player made the same racist statements, I don't think he would be an NBA player for much longer regardless of his talent.

Demonpenz
04-30-2014, 12:54 PM
But can Airwolf be racist? It's both black AND white!

http://www.rc-heli-zwartewaal.nl/foto/Airwolf/airwolf.jpg

look at that/////BAN ASSAULT HELICOPTERS

GloryDayz
04-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Perhaps the girls on 610 Sports nailed it (not the "one whore") when they said "when it affects the leagues profits."

I think they will be "tried" to be held to the same standard when A) the league is facing financial repressions of substantial amounts, B) when they think they can beat the unions.

But because people expect very little out of the ignorant professional athlete, and won't change their spending habits in protest, it'll be a long time before "A" happens. Let's face it, most pro athletes (BUT NOT ALL) are "rich/dumb jocks", so people expect them to do dumb stuff.

Owners are assumed to be smart, but in cases like this they can be proven to be pretty dumb in a lot of ways, and when exposed they are axed!

KC native
04-30-2014, 12:55 PM

Ugh...

bcuz minorities get free passes for everything.

Demonpenz
04-30-2014, 12:56 PM
bcuz minorities get free passes for everything.

cept for good credit scores.

ooooo

Mr. Laz
04-30-2014, 12:57 PM
I don't think I want to paint an entire group with the brush of your roommate. Or, you've been watching White Men Can't Jump on a loop.
of course not, but the mentality exists

I've seen hints of the same attitude many,many times. Where there is smoke there is fire, just like 'white' racism.

loochy
04-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Perhaps the girls on 610 Sports mailed it (not the "one whore") when they said "when it affects the leagues profits."

Perhaps when they Qd loochy's post:

GloryDayz
04-30-2014, 12:58 PM
If a white NBA player made the same racist statements, I don't think he would be an NBA player for much longer regardless of his talent.

Pretty hard to prove though. Like shooting from 7/8's court, that shot's not going to go in very often. White, talented, and dumb enough to say something like that around guys he's naked around most nights of the year - yeah fear alone keeps them from making that mistake.

KC native
04-30-2014, 12:58 PM
cept for good credit scores.

ooooo

Wayne Brady is offended by your joke.

GloryDayz
04-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Perhaps when they Qd loochy's post:

LOL, they've never once admitted to being on CP. Are you saying they lurk to get content?

loochy
04-30-2014, 01:00 PM
LOL, they've never once admitted to being on CP. Are you saying they lurk to get content?

Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

GloryDayz
04-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

They don't want the truth, they just need to know what the teams need them to say, and to provide cover for the teams saying "it's too early" until "it's too late, so we focus on next year."

They really seem to have become tools for the teams. And they love to play-off the "it's too early" thing (and totally forget the past 25+ years) as the cool-headed guys who know more that the rest of the folks. Yeah, LOL!

Yeah, they're not that smart, they just don't know their history!

-King-
04-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Players are already being fined for homophobic statements so....
Posted via Mobile Device

Lzen
04-30-2014, 01:23 PM

ROFL

Lzen
04-30-2014, 01:25 PM
i had to move to extra sarcasm because it was slipping under some peoples' radar

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/sacr6_2737.jpg

Lzen
04-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

ThatRaceCardGuy
04-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Ohhhhhhh...WHITE FOLKS MAD...LOL

Predarat
04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
So basically the thread starter wanted to point out black people get away with racism....

Don't need a thread for that, just go to Dillons, HyVee or Wal Mart. Moreso a shopping mall if it is still running. Very obvious.