PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Second year in system should help Chiefs WRs

The Franchise
05-01-2014, 03:15 PM
http://www.chiefsspin.com/second-year-in-system-should-help-chiefs-wrs/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Chiefs wide receiver position has been under a microscope in recent weeks given the team’s pursuit of Emmanuel Sanders and interest in DeSean Jackson.

Fueling the attention surrounds a 2013 receiver corps of Dwayne Bowe, Donnie Avery, Dexter McCluster, A.J. Jenkins, Junior Hemingway and Chad Hall combining for 173 receptions for 2,055 yards and 11 touchdowns.

While no Chiefs wide receiver topped 700 yards receiving, the numbers only tell half the story in coach Andy Reid’s version of the West Coast offense.

“What we take a lot of pride in doing is spreading the ball around to all of the different people that we have, and we don’t really focus in on necessarily one person in the throwing game,” Reid said at February’s NFL Scouting Combine. “As a result, that makes defenses have to cover everybody, right?”

Former Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Todd Pinkston, who played for Reid in Philadelphia (2000-05), echoed his former coach.

“He always wants to spread the ball around, so a team can’t key on one receiver,” Pinkston said in a phone interview. “If you’re doing your job, everything should iron out.”

Reid often discussed that philosophy throughout the 2013 season whenever asked about Bowe’s drop in production. Bowe, who had 57 catches for 673 yards and five touchdowns, posted his second-worst career regular season totals in receptions and receiving yards.

But it’s easy to get caught up in numbers during a pass-heavy modern NFL where game statistics often resemble a video game.

Nevertheless, Reid’s system isn’t designed for a single wide receiver to have gaudy production and the players should know what Reid expects.

“He always preached do your job with what the play is designed to be,” Pinkston said. “Once you get there and make a play, you don’t worry about stats over the course of a game or the course of the year. You just worry about being at the right place at the right time and doing your job.”

Another factor affecting the Chiefs wide receivers corps last season surrounded adjusting to the system. The offense started slow before finding its stride in the second half, and Bowe produced his best game of the year in the playoffs with eight catches for 150 yards and a touchdown.

The second half of 2013 could be a sign of good times ahead. Using himself as an example, Pinkston said the second year is vital to a player’s development in Reid’s system.

“It took me a year and a half to process the whole terminology of the West Coast offense,” Pinkston said. “Once they get that down pat, going into their second season I think everything will improve from there because you want to learn a little bit each year.”

Meanwhile, former Eagles scout John Middlekauff (2010-13) points to Reid’s prior 14 seasons in Philadelphia as a contributing factor to integrate all receivers in the passing game.

“I think early on in Andy’s career in Philadelphia, he dealt with less,” Middlekauff said in a phone interview. “His first really star receiver was Terrell Owens. If he doesn’t have what is a prototypical No. 1, he has no problem spreading the ball around.”

Middlekauff, who currently contributes as an analyst to Comcast SportsNet-Bay Area and co-hosts 95.7 The GAME in San Francisco, brings up a good point on the history of Reid’s receivers in Philadelphia.

Only three wideouts under Reid cracked the 1,000-yard receiving mark: Owens (2004), Kevin Curtis (2007) and DeSean Jackson (2009-10).

Outside of Owens, Curtis and Jackson aren’t the photo image of a big No. 1 wide receiver in the mold of Bowe. But Pinkston, who stood 6-foot-3 and 180 pounds during his playing career, points out size isn’t a prerequisite for Reid’s scheme.

“He’s had big receivers, he’s had small receivers,” Pinkston said. “He had Freddie Mitchell, Greg Lewis, T.O. and myself. There’s no particular height he’s looking for. He’s just looking for a smart receiver that’s going to go out there and give 100 percent every time.”

Middlekauff agreed on the intelligence aspect and categorized Reid’s passing offense as “complicated.” He added the action will dictate a lot of plays.

“You have to be a smart player,” Middlekauff said. “The other thing is you never know when you’re going to get the ball. He runs a lot of three-receiver sets. That’s what he likes to do. You’re going to get a lot of playing time and you’re going to be on the field a lot.”

With McCluster and Hall gone from last year’s roster, Bowe, Avery, Jenkins and Hemingway are joined by Weston Dressler, Frankie Hammond, Jerrell Jackson, Rashad Ross and Fred Williams to compete for playing time.

And the Chiefs will likely draft a receiver if their attempts to land a free-agent receiver are an indication of the team’s desire to bolster depth.

Of course, DeSean Jackson would’ve been an ideal free-agent signing since he has an understanding of Reid’s scheme. A veteran just joining the team not familiar with the offense or a rookie could be at a disadvantage.

“That second year you have to know what you’re doing because he’s going to put everything on the receiver corps,” Pinkston said. “Every player is supposed to know what they’re doing in their second year in the system.”

Still, for any player acclimating or seeking improvement from the prior season, Middlekauff points to a system Reid has in place to assist development.

“One thing he does is he has a lot of carryover on his staff,” Middlekauff said. “David Culley, the wide receivers coach, has been with him forever and Tom Melvin, the tight ends coach. There’s a lot of continuity in the staff in terms of they all speak the same language and they all beat to the same drum, every single one of those guys on offense.”

Ultimately, Middlekauff said he thinks the Chiefs have to draft a wide receiver, while Pinkston said he wouldn’t be surprised if the Chiefs went that route.

But regardless who’s on the roster, Pinkston re-emphasized important factors when it comes to wide receiver success in Reid’s West Coast offense.

“I guarantee you this and I know a lot of former players would agree with me, if he wants a guy, he’ll get a guy,” Pinkston said. “But it takes two years for a player to get used to this system. It’s not about just one guy that should explode. It depends on what the defense presents in the course of a game and how hard the players go to work.”

loochy
05-01-2014, 03:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/P8ix81B.png

loochy
05-01-2014, 03:18 PM
perhaps knowing the system better will help avery not drop the ball

Nickel D
05-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Based on yesterday's article about QB Smith stating he should improve in the 2nd year of the offensive system, then this whole article should go without saying.

KC native
puff piece is puffy.

BlackHelicopters
Hard working Bowe will master the system this year.

ThaVirus
05-01-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm not expecting anything but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit excited to see what Jenkins can do this season.

saphojunkie
05-01-2014, 03:33 PM
I have no idea why any team would trade a first round wide receiver after ONE season.

IowaChiefs83
05-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Desean Jackson and Terrell Owens disagrees with this article.

OnTheWarpath15
05-01-2014, 04:20 PM
puff piece is puffy.

Expect anything less from a website called Chiefs spin?

bevischief
05-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Expect anything less from a website called Chiefs spin?

LMAO

saphojunkie
05-01-2014, 05:00 PM
This whitehouse.gov website is so pro-Obama it's like they don't even try to hide it.

TribalElder
05-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Run over there, catch the ball, run to the endzone

How hard is it

Sandy Vagina
05-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Would be a good idea for all of these guys to get together with Alex as soon as possible. He likes to get to work immediately, and the chemistry earned together is important. They had to kick Smith away from the facilities last year, right? and that's nothing new. It would be wise to get in every bit of extra work before any of the OTA's begin.

htismaqe
05-01-2014, 07:30 PM
I have no idea why any team would trade a first round wide receiver after ONE season.

Because he's freaking terrible.

BossChief
05-01-2014, 07:36 PM
AJ Jenkins has the talent to be a big time weapon...but unless he devotes himself to his craft, there's no way he even makes the roster.

htismaqe
05-01-2014, 07:40 PM
AJ Jenkins has the talent to be a big time weapon...but unless he devotes himself to his craft, there's no way he even makes the roster.

I'm sure you saw him as much as I did, since he played at Illinois.

The dude is REALLY fast and that's about it. He's a sloppy route runner, can't handle getting jammed at all, and is just plain lazy at times.

planetdoc
05-01-2014, 07:53 PM
He's a sloppy route runner, can't handle getting jammed at all, and is just plain lazy at times.

who is Jon Baldwin

BossChief
05-01-2014, 08:22 PM

The dude is REALLY fast and that's about it. He's a sloppy route runner, can't handle getting jammed at all, and is just plain lazy at times.

The part that's maddening about him is he does/did flash the ability to kill it...but then you watch him the next few plays and it's like he doesn't care.

I'd like to see them draft a pair of receivers and kick Jenkins and everyone but Bowe, Avery and maybe hemmingway to the curb.

Chiefshrink
05-01-2014, 09:01 PM

Oh yeah ! And he will jog at 3a.m. on a regular basis to get it done and he won't be jogging to his supplier either:thumb:

loochy
05-01-2014, 09:17 PM
who is Jon Baldwin

some dude they should have moved to tight end

Hammock Parties
05-01-2014, 09:22 PM
they need to improve and hopefully get close to the level of perfection our QB exists at

Psyko Tek
05-01-2014, 11:41 PM

this is why wide receivers should be allowed to be clothes lined on crossing routes.

and teams should be forced to run at least 2 a game

RunKC
05-01-2014, 11:51 PM

I thought he was a great developmental player that we got for literally nothing last year.

Apparently Reid and co. believe they can fix his route running deficiencies. Hope it improves this year.

Bringing him along slowly is the best way.

Easy 6
05-02-2014, 05:33 AM
they need to improve and hopefully get close to the level of perfection our QB exists at

Yep, if they were even half as good at their craft as he is at his, we'd really have something...

htismaqe
05-02-2014, 06:53 AM
who is Jon Baldwin

A 49ers WR that I could care less about...

htismaqe
05-02-2014, 06:55 AM
I thought he was a great developmental player that we got for literally nothing last year.

Apparently Reid and co. believe they can fix his route running deficiencies. Hope it improves this year.

A developmental player has to be developed at some point. The dude just doesn't get it. He was still displaying the same lazy tendencies last year, after being given a HUGE second chance by Reid.

He's never going to amount to anything. That's a pretty safe bet.

-King-
05-02-2014, 08:19 AM
A 49ers WR that I could care less about...

So you do care about him?
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe
05-02-2014, 08:23 AM
So you do care about him?
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL

I always do that. For some reason I have a hard time finishing my negative abbreviations.

I could NOT care less about Mr. Baldwin, thank you. :D

Oxford
05-02-2014, 08:32 AM

He's at a new position this year, the "J" receiver

Big Poppa Payne
05-02-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm getting excited for the season to start, it will be a long 3 months waiting on football to get here.

htismaqe
05-02-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm getting excited for the season to start, it will be a long 3 months waiting on football to get here.

Hopefully you're still excited after the draft...

Big Poppa Payne
05-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Hopefully you're still excited after the draft...

LMAO I probably wont be.

RealSNR
05-02-2014, 12:08 PM

Hemingway is a developmental player. He was brought along slowly, coming from a system in college that did very little to prepare him for operating within an NFL offense. He did a few good things in his second season, and now figures to build on his progress going into next year. He also might be a cut depending on who we draft and how much he has improved. That's the nature of being a developmental player. And he fits that definition perfectly.

AJ Jenkins is not a developmental player. AJ Jenkins is garbage.

saphojunkie
05-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Hemingway is a developmental player. He was brought along slowly, coming from a system in college that did very little to prepare him for operating within an NFL offense. He did a few good things in his second season, and now figures to build on his progress going into next year. He also might be a cut depending on who we draft and how much he has improved. That's the nature of being a developmental player. And he fits that definition perfectly.

AJ Jenkins is not a developmental player. AJ Jenkins is garbage.

You don't think that's a touch premature?

htismaqe
05-02-2014, 12:21 PM

No.

AJ Jenkins has the same problems now that he had at Illinois. The chance of him suddenly growing up overnight is extremely small.

RealSNR
05-02-2014, 02:04 PM

I'm just being picky with my terms. Jenkins isn't a developmental player in the same way that Darius Heyward-Bey wasn't a developmental player when he signed with the Colts last year. Or when teams take a WR like Charles Rodgers and just see what the crap they can make of him. With those players, it's far less about patience and nurturing (as it is in the case of Hemingway and others) and more about, "Here's the offense, here's how you get better. Go do your shit or get the fuck off the team."

Garbage doesn't necessarily mean they won't even amount to anything. It could be that the team finds a lesser role that he fits better, or that the coaches create an environment that actually for some reason makes the guy turn on a switch. Dick Vermeil was absolutely like that. Eddie Kennison had only ever been a garbage player and a 1st round bust for most of his career. He wasn't put on a developmental track or anything like that. When it didn't work out somewhere, he moved on until he got to KC and somehow thrived.

I don't mean that there's no shot of Jenkins sticking with the team or even being a decent NFL player. I just mean that the odds are against him, and there's no more, "Oh, but he's got so much untapped potential if we could just coach it out of him." He's had two great coaches on stable teams. His "development" is far more of a shit-or-get-off-the-pot situation

Valiant
05-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Thankfully for the author, the chiefs are only allowed this rule of getting better.

Easy 6
05-02-2014, 08:07 PM
LMAO I probably wont be.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NPOb3DlB7WA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easy 6
05-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Look, I'm tired of all the nays about Jenkins, he DID flash real ability 2-3 times... enough to get all shitty with you doubters? No.

But enough to think that a second year on a team friendlier to noobs than Harbaughs "figure it out right now or get ****ed Boot Camp"... might be just what he needed. Harbaugh threw away a first round pick without investing ANY time at all in him.

It was dumb, it was rash.

Ol Miss Jenkins deserves another shot here, mark this down, scott free said this guy has a high probability of being the new Eddie Kennison... I'm telling you, they're identical.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xDVMdLsSvzI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

beach tribe
05-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Look, I'm tired of all the nays about Jenkins, he DID flash real ability 2-3 times... enough to get all shitty with you doubters? No.

But enough to think that a second year on a team friendlier to noobs than Harbaughs "figure it out right now or get ****ed Boot Camp"... might be just what he needed. Harbaugh threw away a first round pick without investing ANY time at all in him.

Ol Miss Jenkins deserves another shot here, mark this down, scott free said this guy has a high probability of being the new Eddie Kennison... I'm telling you, they're identical.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xDVMdLsSvzI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm high on Jenkins too. Everything he doesn't have can be fixed with good mentoring.
You can't get what he does have no amount of cash credit or coaching.
He would be far from the first 22 year old to suddenly grow up.

J Diddy
05-02-2014, 08:44 PM

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/E7HegNSoWs4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/E7HegNSoWs4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

:)

Easy 6
05-02-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm high on Jenkins too. Everything he doesn't have can be fixed with good mentoring.
You can't get what he does have no amount of cash credit or coaching.
He would be far from the first 22 year old to suddenly grow up.

:rockon:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/E7HegNSoWs4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/E7HegNSoWs4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

:)

LMAO

Munson
05-02-2014, 09:13 PM
With an article titled "Second year in system should help Chiefs WRs," I fully expected it to be written by Adam Teicher. LMAO

Ragged Robin
05-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Bowe, Avery, Jenkins and Hemingway are joined by Weston Dressler, Frankie Hammond, Jerrell Jackson, Rashad Ross and Fred Williams to compete for playing time.

striking fear into the hearts of defenses around the league..

crossbow
05-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Performance improves with experience?

Go figure :)

Sorter
05-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Really like what Jenkins and Ernest showed the 2nd half of the season.

It's always a conundrum to try and give unproven guys reps against new guys with potential/vets that can ideally produce.

KC has 2 WRs in the latter (Bowe & Avery) and the rest are in the former. I'd be in favor of adding more WRs this year, simply due to the quality that's going to be available. That doesn't mean that I don't think Jenkins/Ernest have a chance to be productive players.

Discuss Thrower
05-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Hemingway and McCluster had similar measures in the scouting combine. One obviously wasn't using a booster seat to see over the steering wheel.

One of the guys is off the team. The other split time as a special teams guy with limited offensive production but was still playing in key games.

If KC takes a receiver in the first or third I think he's gone, but I think a case can be made that Hemingway could be servicable option of he wasn't splitting time at gunner.

Easy 6
05-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Son. of. a. bitch.

I am so starved for football right now, this is awful, if Goodell prolongs the draft by two weeks next year I swear on my forefathers that, that... that I'll meekly suck it up and keep watching like a spineless simp.

RobBlake
05-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Brandin Cooks would look good in a Chief uni

htismaqe
05-04-2014, 06:23 AM
It's really sad that we dedicate entire threads to scrubs like Jenkins and Hemmingway.