PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft What is your preferred draft strategy?

DTLB58
05-08-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm not fond of just sitting still and taking BPA. Although, as Andrew Brandt wrote yesterday, http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/07/nfl-draft-war-rooms/ that strategy got the Packers Aaron Rodgers in 2005.

I'm not sure about just drafting for need either. That can make you reach for a player that isn't necessarily worthy of the pick.

In NFLN's 'Caught in the draft' 1994, Jimmy Johnson was quoted as saying "I never really wanted to just take the BPA. I wanted to just take the player I wanted". That's when Jimmy went to Jerry Jones about creating some kind of draft trade value card so they could better figure out how they could move up or down to "Go get" the players they wanted. :clap:

Iowanian
05-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Iowanian draft strategy
1. Draft good players
2. Avoid drafting shitty players.
3. success.

OldSchool
05-08-2014, 10:17 AM
For this particular draft, I want us to trade back and accumulate as many top 100 picks as we possibly can.

KC native
05-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Anything involving churros.

BlackHelicopters
05-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Play good football

jd1020
05-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Ignoring QBs and drafting linemen early. Why I'm a Chiefs fan.

ptlyon
05-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Iowanian draft strategy
1. Draft good players
3. success.

Haven't done that for 40 years

wazu
All guards, all day.

ptlyon
Anything involving churros.

I concur

OldSchool
05-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Ignoring QBs and drafting linemen early.

Why would you want to draft a QB early to sit when you already have a good starting QB in his prime with at least 5 years of good football left on the roster? We have holes elsewhere where our draft picks are better spent if we want to have a chance at winning over the next several seasons.

ptlyon
05-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Why would you want to draft a QB early to sit when you already have a good starting QB in his prime with at least 5 years of good football left on the roster? We have holes elsewhere where our draft picks are better spent if we want to have a chance at winning over the next several seasons.

Because Alex Smith sucks

KC native
I concur

Sweet, instead of the treatise of 14, we can start teh churro caucus.

Big Poppa Payne
Play good football

Eliminate Bad Football

jd1020
05-08-2014, 10:23 AM

I wouldn't. I would pay that mother ****er $19mil yesterday and just eliminate the stress of trying to find players to fill those holes by making it impossible to afford them.

RunKC
05-08-2014, 10:24 AM
1. Draft players who have proven it in college.
2. Draft players who aren't boom or bust in rd 1. It rarely works.
3. Don't draft broke dicks.

Bearcat
If you have to go back 9 years for a good example, it's probably not a great strategy.

Granted, this is the fanbase that uses the Ravens of 15 years ago to rationalize not drafting a quarterback... :shrug:

Coochie liquor
Follow The Faiders draft board and do the opposite!!

aturnis
05-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Try to trade down with San Francisco(if the WR they cover is there).

Take Jimmie Ward, use extra pick from San Fran on Kyle Van Noy(if we don't get our second back, couple the 3rd we get with a 4th or 5th to move up)

Best WR available on the 3rd.

Boom.

KC_Lee
05-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Where's the "Trade your best players for 2nd round or lower picks" option?

RunKC
05-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Try to trade down with San Francisco(if the WR they cover is there).

Take Jimmie Ward, use extra pick from San Fran on Kyle Van Noy(if we don't get our second back, couple the 3rd we get with a 4th or 5th to move up)

Boom.

If this happened I'd JIMP

ModSocks
05-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Well, first i'd start by preparing my Vape, 375 degrees is a good temp to vape at w/o burning the weed. Pack it with some fine herbs and get medicated.

Then I put it on both ESPN and NFLN so i can get maximum coverage. Grab some munchies and my laptop so i can be on Chiefsplanet at the same time.

I tell my wife not to bug....Draft is on....

If the Chiefs pick a good player i'll celebrate with CP, if not, I'll smoke some more weed and log in the following day to read all the bitching, as well as partake in it.

Dayze
05-08-2014, 11:45 AM
get the guy you want.
don't fuck around.

cabletech94
05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Well, first i'd start by preparing my Vape, 375 degrees is a good temp to vape at w/o burning the weed. Pack it with some fine herbs and get medicated.

Then I put it on both ESPN and NFLN so i can get maximum coverage. Grab some munchies and my laptop so i can be on Chiefsplanet at the same time.

If the Chiefs pick a good player i'll celebrate with CP, if not, I'll smoke some more weed and log in the following day to read all the bitching, as well as partake in it.

minus the smoke, this is exactly what i do.

Coochie liquor
05-08-2014, 12:11 PM

Sounds like me, but mix in some Red Stripe. And I picked up some Chernobyl to help take me to a higher level!! Killah cheeba make me feel IRIE. No matter who we pick (barring an enormous reach) I do remember not liking the Poe pick, and was more put off by him being on the phone and not seeming to care too much where he was going but how high he went. I'm now very glad we made that pick!! Hindsight!!

Rain Man
05-08-2014, 12:40 PM
It's easy to say that you'll draft BPA only, but it's really hard to do. If you have a major gap on your roster, are you really going to let it fester and cost your team games over the next couple of years until the draft slots just right to fill it? If you're a GM who has to win to keep your job, are you going to keep ignoring Kendrick Lewis at free safety because a linebacker or a tight end is ranked higher? If you think it's a quarterback-driven game, will you keep starting Matt Cassel because the highest-ranked player isn't a quarterback?

I don't think you draft purely based on need, but I think it should get an equal weight to BPA. You only go BPA if there's a clear frontrunner who can't be ignored.

keg in kc
05-08-2014, 12:43 PM
I like to get really drunk and throw things at the TV after the pick. That's my strategy and it's been solid for 15 years.

Mr. Laz
05-08-2014, 12:45 PM
BPA with a side order of position importance

the best punter in the world isn't as valuable as solid cornerback,safety,WR,LB etc

ModSocks
05-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I like to get really drunk and throw things at the TV after the pick. That's my strategy and it's been solid for 15 years.

Last time i threw something at the T.V i was 12-13 years old. It was during the infamous "Monday Night Meltdown".

I chucked my dad's 40oz at the T.V.

Mr. Laz
05-08-2014, 12:52 PM
have to make sure there is something soft nearby so you don't break anything

a few years back i slapped the wall so hard that i put a dent in the drywall :shake:

Pepe Silvia
05-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Round 1 Kicker

Round 2 Punter

Round 3 Long Snapper

Round 4 Kick Returner

Round 5 Punt Returner

Round 6 Fullback

Round 7 Offensive Lineman

jd1020
05-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Round 1 Kicker

Round 2 Punter

Round 3 Long Snapper

Round 4 Kick Returner

Round 5 Punt Returner

Round 6 Fullback

I'd draft a gunner in round 7. I've heard that's a pretty important role, more so than a lineman. It's why we should have kept Wylie around.

Anyong Bluth
05-08-2014, 01:02 PM
BGA - Best Guard Available

Pick when it's our turn.

DTLB58
05-08-2014, 01:02 PM
get the guy you want.
don't **** around.

:rockon:

Tribal Warfare
05-08-2014, 01:03 PM
BPA, and getting the player that you want go hand in hand

Anyong Bluth
05-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Dorsey does rank all of the draft board in order, but as they do in Green Bay, they also rank them against the current guys on the roster - so it does skew it some by positions of need...

My best guess is they look at the two numbers and there's a maximum differential they use to make a final call.

Mr. Laz
05-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Dorsey does rank all of the draft board in order, but as they do in Green Bay, they also rank them against the current guys on the roster - so it does skew it some by positions of need...
I've heard that before and i don't like it at all.

So if you have a pro bowl guy at the position on the roster you don't draft another pro bowl talent guy? That kicks BPA right in the nuts.

Tribal Warfare
05-08-2014, 01:12 PM

So if you have a pro bowl guy at the position on the roster you don't draft another pro bowl talent guy? That kicks BPA right in the nuts.

Favre and Rodgers

Mr. Laz
05-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Favre and Rodgers
which goes against the rate them against existing players idea

sounds like it's a weird way to say we include 'need' into the selection.

Anyong Bluth
05-08-2014, 01:14 PM

I edited and added to my post. There's a way to avoid giving too much weight to current roster guys.

Rain Man
05-08-2014, 01:20 PM
I think the thing that gets lost in the BPA argument is that it's not usually comparing one likely pro bowler against a bunch of stiffs. There are probably players of very similar talent and prospects available at multiple positions, so unless someone really jumps out from the crowd, why not take the most promising player at the position you need instead of the most promising player at the position where you're solid?

Omaha
05-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Iowanian draft strategy
1. Draft good players
3. Profit.

FYP

notorious
05-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Always, and I mean ALWAYS go with the sure thing/safe pick.

Omaha
05-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Round 1 Kicker

Round 2 Punter

Round 3 Long Snapper

Round 4 Kick Returner

Round 5 Punt Returner

Round 6 Fullback

I doubt this will happen. Punters usually aren't taken that high.

Rausch
05-08-2014, 01:26 PM
I voted NBO and the only reason is it's the only "honest" approach.

You say BPA and any GM in the league can say "Player X was rated 6 spots above us. He fell and we took him."

NO ONE has any idea how their team ranks players.

Unless you draft a punter in the 1st BPA covers all bases with the fans and media...

Sully
05-08-2014, 01:30 PM
I think you grade the players, put them in order based on talent, and then do some minor shuffling based on need. If two guys are close, and one is a need, you grab the need guy. What I don't want to do is grab a need guy if there's a guy who grades way above him, but just happens to be a position where we have guys at already. You also have to take into account (just minutely more than need) contract. You only get 4 years out of a 1st rounder before the next contract, so will he be able to beat out the guy you already have in a reasonable amount of time? Do you have the flexibility to release or trade the guy already there without screwing yourself?

tl;dr
- Throw darts

Reerun_KC
05-08-2014, 01:30 PM
1) Trade down
2) Trade down again
3) continue to Trade down to get value
4) draft OL
5) fanbase rejoices

Rain Man
05-08-2014, 01:32 PM
I think the weighting of priorities should be:

Positional value: 26%
College production: 26%
Long-term positional need (age and ability of current starter): 26%
Short-term positional need (this season and next season): 10%
Measurables: 6%
Character/Off-field risk: 5%
Star power: 1%

(I edited this after thinking about it.)

Rausch
05-08-2014, 01:33 PM
1) Trade down
2) Trade down again

You laugh but I completely agree with this.

It isn't about where you pick but HOW.

More choices = more chances at a stud player...

Bearcat
05-08-2014, 01:38 PM
1) draft OL
2) draft OL
3) draft OL
4) draft OL
5) fanbase rejoices

Sully
05-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Long-term positional need (age and ability of current starter): 30%
College production: 23%
Measurables: 5%

You forgot sleeves

- Gunther Cunningham

Sully
05-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Long-term positional need (age and ability of current starter): 30%
College production: 23%
Measurables: 5%

You forgot slap fighting
- Tim Krumrie

Sully
05-08-2014, 01:41 PM

You forgot how cute his waitress girlfriend is.

- Marty Schottenheimer

keg in kc
05-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Last time i threw something at the T.V i was 12-13 years old. It was during the infamous "Monday Night Meltdown".

I chucked my dad's 40oz at the T.V.The trick is to only keep shit in reach that can't break the TV. Stress balls are good.

Sully
05-08-2014, 01:42 PM
You forgot flexibility (for bending over to pick up gum wrappers).

- Scott Pioli

Lightrise
05-08-2014, 01:43 PM
I've never been a fan of BPA either. In my view you draft with a singular focus, how to tilt the balance within your division, period. It's reactionary rather than innovative. One thing I did learn from Dorsey is that picking up the pieces at the end of preseason from loaded teams is worth contemplating. Finally, I've come to believe that the Chiefs have for years remained committed to linebackers too long. They soak us for money and then they frustrate us as they slow down. I would give up on Hali right now. By week 8 you will hear many others begin to complain.

Reerun_KC
05-08-2014, 01:49 PM

And that is how you win the hearts of Chiefs fanbase....

IT seems the less chance there is for success the more fired up the fanbase is for the team, Same goes with the royals.

SeeingRed
05-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Draft Brandin Cooks if he is still there at #23…other than that I guess BPA in a position where we have a need. But I'm hoping my avatar is Nostradamus like for later on this evening….Cooks would be a nice weapon to add. I like the kid. Tough and smart….along with very fast…with hands. I hope he falls and we grab him.

OldSchool
05-08-2014, 02:25 PM
We're kind of screwed in the trades department unless someone falls to us that another team really likes. Everyone is going to be trying to pick up extra picks in the top 100 this year.

Anyong Bluth
05-08-2014, 03:01 PM
You forgot flexibility (for bending over to pick up gum wrappers).

- Scott Pioli

Also cutting back on wasteful users of making excessive color copies when they clearly add no value versus B&W.

Sandy Vagina
05-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Try to trade down with San Francisco

Take Jimmie Ward

Boom.

First and likely last time I could ever agree with this dude... but THIS! :D

R8RFAN
05-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Play Good Football

MahiMike
05-08-2014, 03:12 PM
I have to think we'll trade down to get some more picks. That would be my strategy too.

Rain Man
05-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Play Good Football

I prefer that over Romeo's philosophy of "Avoid Bad Football".

|Zach|
05-08-2014, 03:28 PM
I don't have one.

KC native
05-08-2014, 03:34 PM

I think your model is misspecified. It doesn't have the Krumie hand slap drill as a factor.

KC native
05-08-2014, 03:34 PM
You forgot slap fighting
- Tim Krumrie

MOTHERFUCKING SONUVABITCH I SHOULD HAVE READ THE THREAD BEFORE POSTING:grr:

Halfcan
05-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Iowanian draft strategy
1. Draft good players
3. success.

Please email this to the Chiefs- they havn't figured this out yet. :D