PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs I slept on it...and I'm now warming up to this pick.

CoMoChief
05-09-2014, 08:46 AM
This was an obvious pick for the future. I guess I was upset because I know this team's window for being legitimate SB contenders is a small one. I suspected our pick to be one that would fill a hole of need since we didn't address S or WR. At the time, the only pick that would have pissed me off more would have been an OL. Thank god for DAL.

I guess it just sucks that players like Bowe, Hali, DJ, Flowers, Charles have all been drug through a pile of shit coaches and front office people for the past 6-7 seasons and now it's time to replace some of those guys because let's be honest, we're strapped for cap room, and the Dee Ford pick is pretty much writing on the wall for Hali. They can talk and dream all they want about getting Ford on the field w/ both Houston and Hali this coming season, but lets be honest, Hali is going to be traded or cut next year. And I think Flowers is also a candidate too. In fact he might be traded so that we can get back into this 2nd rd (or so I read) that's loaded w/ talent. Not currently having a pick in this rd hurts. Maybe EJ Gaines could be had in the 4th rd to help add depth to our secondary.

I imagine w/ Catapano possibly switching to DE, we're probably going to see a lot of packages with Catapano, Poe, Ford, Hali, Houston, DJ w/ 5 DB's on the field. That's what Seattle did to the Broncos in the SB. They were rushing 4-5 guys all game and they were jamming their WR's at the line. Of course their secondary is much better than ours, but I think there's a method behind this madness. We need to get to the QB. And Ford can help do that.

As sad as it is to say...I don't think we're going to address WR in this draft. It sucks, but this coaching staff is going to be set w/ Bowe and Jenkins as our X and Y. I don't like it. I personally think the hard on a lot of people on this coaching staff seem to have for Jenkins is a little premature. But as the season went on, our passing game seemed to get a lot better. Part of that was the Oline doing a much better job, which is another issue that needs to be addressed. But I would like to see the Chiefs grab a slot guy. Don't know much about this Dressler kid from the CFL or where the **** ever he came from, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's just a camp guy. I'd love to see them draft Dri Archer if he's there in the 3rd... guy's truly explosive, much more than Dexter McCluster ever was, and he'd be a lightning bolt in the return game.

Anyways I'm rambling now so I'll stop. I see good things coming from this Ford pick. Freeing up cap space will allow the Chiefs to do some things like sign Houston to a deal.

Prison Bitch
05-09-2014, 08:48 AM
You should. Pass rushers are difference makers. Most other spots aren't. He might suck he might not, but Hali is about done anyway and we saw what his backups did last year: nothing.

Baby Lee
05-09-2014, 08:50 AM
I thought Dix-Clinton and Cooks would be better choices, especially the former, but I think we're going to like this guy a lot in the near future.

Has a Derrick Thomas look to him and a shit ton of dedication and confidence. He thinks he's the greatest coming out of college, but totally knows that Hali is miles above him right now and is committed to soaking him in.

hometeam
05-09-2014, 08:52 AM
I am less mad than last night. Dude still missed tons of time, and when he was playing he wasn't 100% healthy, couldn't work out at the combine. Oft injured tells me it will happen again.

He needs to learn how to play the run, cover, and learn how to prepare and repair his body. I don't see a major impact this season, maybe next year.

Fairplay
05-09-2014, 08:52 AM
For myself after having high hopes for landing Manziel then to just get a DL it took the air out of my tires so to speak. Plus it was a name I wasn't expecting, like many here the google search began immediately.

I'm better today though, I believe in Dorsey.

OldSchool
05-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Ford is as hard of a worker as they come out of college. He is going to be fine in this league and should slot in nicely.

Also, on the Hali thing. If he does transition to 3-4 DE and succeeds at it, there is nothing that says the FO can't extend him to a Suggs-type deal that never goes over $6 mil in a season for the remainder of his career here.

CoMoChief
05-09-2014, 08:57 AM
For myself after having high hopes for landing Manziel then to just get a DL it took the air out of my tires so to speak. Plus it was a name I wasn't expecting, like many here the google search began immediately.

I'm better today though, I believe in Dorsey.

That was my first initial feeling too. I was very pissed off at Cleveland.

But something tells me that the Chiefs wouldn't have taken him if he was there. If anything else it's because they're the Chiefs.

Had that happened this place would have melted down.

keg in kc
05-09-2014, 08:59 AM
I don't hate that they took a pass rusher. I hate that they took an injury prone one. It doesn't matter how much DT he has in him if he's also got a ton of Tony Moeaki in him. You can't make plays if you're not on the field. They only had 6 picks in this draft, and it seems like a massive gamble. It's the kind of first round selection that might have made sense with 10 or 12 picks. They're just opening the door again for the kind of initial problems they had with Kelce and Commings, with a greater risk for long-term issues.

Molitoth
05-09-2014, 09:01 AM
I still don't think our defensive personnel is the problem (besides Kendrick Lewis).
The main problem is the lack of adjustment and creativity from our stupid ****ing DC.

Drafting Dee Ford did not make this defense any better, imo. It just made it easier to cut ties with Tamba Hali. (someone NO team should want to cut ties with)

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 09:02 AM
The front office obviously doesn't believe that this team is a legit SB contender.

The moves last offseason were a red herring or a deviation from the plan.

Everything they've done this offseason says they're farther away than we thought they were.

Prison Bitch
05-09-2014, 09:02 AM
But something tells me that the Chiefs wouldn't have taken him if he was there. If anything else it's because they're the Chiefs.

We weren't taking a QB with all the $$$ invested in Smith (soon) and Booger Daniels.

In58men
05-09-2014, 09:03 AM
The front office obviously doesn't believe that this team is a legit SB contender.

The moves last offseason were a red herring or a deviation from the plan.

Everything they've done this offseason says they're farther away than we thought they were.

Nailed it

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Has a Derrick Thomas look to him and a shit ton of dedication and confidence.

I've been very careful to avoid this comparison solely because of the batshit crazy reactions you know this place would have.

The simple fact is, when you watch Dee Ford, you absolutely do see a DT-esque first step.

Deberg_1990
05-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Chiefs fans love this pick.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Ford is as hard of a worker as they come out of college. He is going to be fine in this league and should slot in nicely.

Also, on the Hali thing. If he does transition to 3-4 DE and succeeds at it, there is nothing that says the FO can't extend him to a Suggs-type deal that never goes over $6 mil in a season for the remainder of his career here.

Yep. I mentioned it in another thread.

Moving/re-purposing Hali potentially extends his career and absolutely changes the compensation conversation.

The Chiefs now have options with Hali that they didn't have before.

The bottom line is that Tamba Hali isn't the kind of guy you just cut loose. He has very rare intangibles and is a unique asset in the locker room.

Baby Lee
05-09-2014, 09:07 AM
I've been very careful to avoid this comparison solely because of the batshit crazy reactions you know this place would have.

The simple fact is, when you watch Dee Ford, you absolutely do see a DT-esque first step.

He needs to do like 100 lower the shoulder swim moves a day after watching DT on tape for a solid week.

LoneWolf
05-09-2014, 09:08 AM
This tread title is one r away from being the gayest thread title in the history of CP.

CoMoChief
05-09-2014, 09:10 AM
We weren't taking a QB with all the $$$ invested in Smith (soon) and Booger Daniels.

Talks are not going well supposedly.

Drafting Manziel would give the Chiefs some leverage, esp after the draft when QB needy teams would have already drafted their QBOTF.

If Alex doesn't want a friendly contract, well then tough shit. Have him play this season and have Manziel take over next.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Taking a pass rusher is a defensible move, but taking one that is undersized and oft-injured with the only pick you have in the first 85 is pretty questionable.

I think what more people are upset with, fairly, is that the Chiefs do look like they are rebuilding and yet, in spite of the apparent awareness of the need to rebuild, they are likely going to go about it the same way as the last 12 times they rebuilt.

If Manziel was there at 21 and the Chiefs didn't move up to take him they weren't taking him or any other QB at 23.

Also, if you're going to commit to a rebuild, why half-ass it? If Hali and Flowers are gone after '14, why not just trade them for anything you could possibly get rather than cutting them and getting nothing in return.

When you look at the organization's moves holistically there doesn't appear to be any guiding plan or principle.

RunKC
05-09-2014, 09:13 AM
This entire bullshit of rebuilding is so laughable.

This is still a playoff team. They have a good QB. They have a good pass rush. They have a good coach.

Add a receiver and DB and I feel comfortable in our chances to push for a playoff spot.

OldSchool
05-09-2014, 09:15 AM

This is still a playoff team. They have a good QB. They have a good pass rush. They have a good coach.

Add a receiver and DB and I feel comfortable in our chances to push for a playoff spot.

Unless a very good OL prospect falls to us at 87, that's how we should pick in the 3rd and 4th. WR & DB, whichever one has a better player available at the time of our pick.

LoneWolf
05-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Taking a pass rusher is a defensible move, but taking one that is undersized and oft-injured with the only pick you have in the first 85 is pretty questionable.

I think what more people are upset with, fairly, is that the Chiefs do look like they are rebuilding and yet, in spite of the apparent awareness of the need to rebuild, they are likely going to go about it the same way as the last 12 times they rebuilt.

If Manziel was there at 21 and the Chiefs didn't move up to take him they weren't taking him or any other QB at 23.

Also, if you're going to commit to a rebuild, why half-ass it? If Hali and Flowers are gone after '14, why not just trade them for anything you could possibly get rather than cutting them and getting nothing in return.

When you look at the organization's moves holistically there doesn't appear to be any guiding plan or principle.

Hali and Flowers are both under contract after this season. If they are going to trade them, they can still do that next offseason after Ford and Cooper both have another year of experience in the league.

Abba-Dabba
05-09-2014, 09:17 AM

Moving/re-purposing Hali potentially extends his career and absolutely changes the compensation conversation.

The bottom line is that Tamba Hali isn't the kind of guy you just cut loose. He has very rare intangibles and is a unique asset in the locker room.

Unless they view Hali in a back up role as a LB I can't fathom how the compensation conversation would favor the Chiefs in this instance by extending his career. Moving Hali to DE would only raise compensation demands from Hali.

I am of the mindset that the Chiefs truly believe they are only a couple pieces of the puzzle away from a serious run this year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Hali and Flowers are both under contract after this season. If they are going to trade them, they can still do that next offseason after Ford and Cooper both have another year of experience in the league.

Nothing says "rebuild" like trading someone next year when they are a year older and more highly paid. That's extracting some serious surplus value for the future.

keg in kc
05-09-2014, 09:18 AM
This team being a playoff contender would be a surprise to me. Last year was a mirage in a lot of ways, and historically speaking (looking at the league as a whole and how teams rise and fall) they're more likely to fall back towards the pack, even if they play better on the field. They shouldn't collapse, but I think anything above .500 would be gravy.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 09:19 AM

This team, right now, is built to back into the playoffs, if they get there at all.

The have a good enough QB and pass rush to be competitive, not contenders. They're going to be relying on guys like Rishaw Johnson, Sander Commings, Travis Kelce, and the like. They're rebuilding.

They're not adding a WR or DB this late in the draft that is going to put them over the top.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Unless a very good OL prospect falls to us at 87, that's how we should pick in the 3rd and 4th. WR & DB, whichever one has a better player available at the time of our pick.

I think we could potentially get a #3 WR in the 3rd. That's about it.

At best, we're drafting competition from here on out. Guys like Rishaw Johnson and Sanders Commings are going to be the penciled-in.

LoneWolf
05-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Nothing says "rebuild" like trading someone next year when they are a year older and more highly paid. That's extracting some serious surplus value for the future.

Realistically your probably not getting higher than a third round pick right now for either Hali or Flowers. IMO there more valuable to keep for this season. If you trade them next season, the compensation might not be much worse if they both have decent years.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Unless they view Hali in a back up role as a LB I can't fathom how the compensation conversation would favor the Chiefs in this instance by extending his career. Moving Hali to DE would only raise compensation demands from Hali.

3-4 DE get paid SIGNIFCANTLY less than 3-4 OLBs. The position change alone would completely change the compensation conversation. Hali could certainly just refuse to move but if he does move, his potential salary demands go down.

I am of the mindset that the Chiefs truly believe they are only a couple pieces of the puzzle away from a serious run this year.

Every team in the league will say they're ready to compete. If they truly thought that, they probably would have taken a WR or DB in the 1st.

OldSchool
05-09-2014, 09:27 AM
I think we could potentially get a #3 WR in the 3rd. That's about it.

At best, we're drafting competition from here on out. Guys like Rishaw Johnson and Sanders Commings are going to be the penciled-in.

Abdullah is penciled in as out day 1 starter at FS. Commings will start out as the #3 safety and will gain experience as that 3rd guy.

Any rookie WR we drafted would have likely started out as the #3 or slot receiver. I'm going to wait and see what's available before I write off our shot at drafting a future #1 in this draft.

One guy that no one is talking about and should be available on day 3 with some big upside but a low floor: L'Damian Washington out of Missouri.

6'4", nearly 34" arms, and 4.4 speed. He has the physical tools to be a #1 WR but is pretty damn raw as a WR and needs to learn to utilize his length better.

Steron
05-09-2014, 09:28 AM
This tread title is one r away from being the gayest thread title in the history of CP.

LMAO

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Realistically your probably not getting higher than a third round pick right now for either Hali or Flowers. IMO there more valuable to keep for this season. If you trade them next season, the compensation might not be much worse if they both have decent years.

Look up their 2015 salaries.

LoneWolf
05-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Look up their 2015 salaries.

Does trading them this year magically make their 2015 salaries disappear? I was under the impression that their cap hit for trading or releasing them next year would be less than it is this year.

The Franchise
05-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Here's the thing.....what would they be giving up to trade with Philly and why would Philly move back one spot when they can move back 4 spots and get a better return?

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Abdullah is penciled in as out day 1 starter at FS. Commings will start out as the #3 safety and will gain experience as that 3rd guy.

How is Abdullah any less of an unknown? He's not a sure fire solid starter. He's had flashes in the past and he's also been moved around a lot. He's still exactly the kind of piece a rebuilding team would bring in.

Any rookie WR we drafted would have likely started out as the #3 or slot receiver. I'm going to wait and see what's available before I write off our shot at drafting a future #1 in this draft.

I'm not writing off getting a future #1 WR in this draft.

But that's not really the discussion, is it?

We're talking about the Chiefs playing for the future vs. playing for now.

Any guy they pick now is going to compete. We're not bringing in any guaranteed starters at this point unless something crazy happens.

That's not me being negative, that's just me acknowledging the history of the NFL and especially this team. We're not going to draft a significant 2014 contributor on the 3rd day of the draft or later.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Does trading them this year magically make their 2015 salaries disappear? I was under the impression that their cap hit for trading or releasing them next year would be less than it is this year.

The receiving team would take on their base salary against their cap.

It's exceedingly rare for guys in Hali or Flowers' situation to get traded like that.

RunKC
05-09-2014, 09:42 AM
This team, right now, is built to back into the playoffs, if they get there at all.

The have a good enough QB and pass rush to be competitive, not contenders. They're going to be relying on guys like Rishaw Johnson, Sander Commings, Travis Kelce, and the like. They're rebuilding.

They're not adding a WR or DB this late in the draft that is going to put them over the top.

I think they have big plans for Commings and Kelce

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-09-2014, 09:43 AM

Correct.

Abba-Dabba
05-09-2014, 09:44 AM
3-4 DE get paid SIGNIFCANTLY less than 3-4 OLBs. The position change alone would completely change the compensation conversation. Hali could certainly just refuse to move but if he does move, his potential salary demands go down.

Every team in the league will say they're ready to compete. If they truly thought that, they probably would have taken a WR or DB in the 1st.

Hali's price isn't going down. Whether it be DE or OLB. His cap hit may change and structure of compensation. But I highly doubt his price is going down if he eventually stays.

Then let's just say for instance the Chiefs and him move to DE and play out the contract since this year and the next is fairly close to the same as far as the cap hit goes. Do you franchise him or let him go? Then if you do you franchise him as a DE because you moved him to that position, expect to pay more for him. I just find it hard for me to believe a player to leave money on the table knowing that his career is on the way out. Team player rah rah bullshit aside. Business is business.

ShowtimeSBMVP
The receiving team would take on their base salary against their cap.

It's exceedingly rare for guys in Hali or Flowers' situation to get traded like that.

You still take a cap hit for trading them.

OldSchool
How is Abdullah any less of an unknown? He's not a sure fire solid starter. He's had flashes in the past and he's also been moved around a lot. He's still exactly the kind of piece a rebuilding team would bring in.

I'm not writing off getting a future #1 WR in this draft.

But that's not really the discussion, is it?

We're talking about the Chiefs playing for the future vs. playing for now.

Any guy they pick now is going to compete. We're not bringing in any guaranteed starters at this point unless something crazy happens.

That's not me being negative, that's just me acknowledging the history of the NFL and especially this team. We're not going to draft a significant 2014 contributor on the 3rd day of the draft or later.

To be honest, even if we had drafted a WR in the 1st round, I don't think that Reid would have started him over Avery or Jenkins. Unless he was a great slot guy like Brandin Cooks, any WR we would have taken in the 1st round would have been a rotational guy for us.

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Flowers Dead Money in 2014-7M 2015- 4M
Hali- Dead Money in 2014-5.9M 2015- 2.9M

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Who was the last 31 year old pass rusher in the last year of their deal traded for anything?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Here's the thing.....what would they be giving up to trade with Philly and why would Philly move back one spot when they can move back 4 spots and get a better return?

I was speaking to trading with Green Bay at 21. Dorsey knows people in GB. If we're trading up we're not taking Clinton-Dix. So, what is the real downside of that deal for GB? Worrying that Philly is going to nab him?

Fritz88
05-09-2014, 09:57 AM
If the secondary is not fixed then this pick won't matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-09-2014, 10:01 AM
If the secondary is not fixed then this pick won't matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

With a strong pass rush that will fix the secondary.

The Franchise
05-09-2014, 10:01 AM
I was speaking to trading with Green Bay at 21. Dorsey knows people in GB. If we're trading up we're not taking Clinton-Dix. So, what is the real downside of that deal for GB? Worrying that Philly is going to nab him?

Basically....if GB trades down....they lose out on Clinton-Dix. Maybe they weren't willing to lose that.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 10:03 AM
I think they have big plans for Commings and Kelce

I do too. Again, the definition of rebuilding.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 10:04 AM
You still take a cap hit for trading them.

Of course. But very few teams want to rent players for that kind of coin for 1 year.

It's not about what it does to us, it's about what it does to a potential trade partner.

The Franchise
05-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Of course. But very few teams want to rent players for that kind of coin for 1 year.

It's not about what it does to us, it's about what it does to a potential trade partner.

Flower's new team would only have to cover his base salary right? We'd take the hit for his bonus?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2014, 10:06 AM
With a strong pass rush that will fix the secondary.

If you don't have corners who can re-direct and jam the receivers at the LOS, all the QB has to do is go 4-5 wide and toss it to the guy running free on a crossing route.

No man on earth is faster than a quarterback's release.

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-09-2014, 10:08 AM
If you don't have corners who can re-direct and jam the receivers at the LOS, all the QB has to do is go 4-5 wide and toss it to the guy running free on a crossing route.

Agree but late in 2013 QB had all day to throw on the Chiefs.

Garcia Bronco
05-09-2014, 10:09 AM
I see both Oakand and The Chiefs looking at the Division...looking at what happened in the Super Bowl...and feeling like they have something they can try to stop Manning. Which is the number one goal of the Chiefs, Chargers, and Oakland.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Agree but late in 2013 QB had all day to throw on the Chiefs.

Not completely true. One of the Denver games Manning averaged 1.8 seconds in the pocket...

OldSchool
05-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Not completely true. One of the Denver games Manning averaged 1.8 seconds in the pocket...

Yup, because he was able to get rid of the ball so dang fast. Guys were just always open against us when we faced competent QBs. That tells me that our talent level on the outside is just not up to par to play the style of defense that we want to play.

Ultra Peanut
05-09-2014, 10:16 AM

I really hope it plays out like that.

OldSchool
05-09-2014, 10:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/2MkwTBy.gif

Baby Lee
05-09-2014, 10:18 AM

Just saying

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ENuZHnQlqX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OldSchool
05-09-2014, 10:18 AM
http://usatq.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/deeford.gif

RunKC
05-09-2014, 10:19 AM

One of the major problems vs Denver was safety play both in coverage and tackling.

Just having co
Percent safeties is a MAJOR upgrade

Baby Lee
05-09-2014, 10:22 AM
With a strong pass rush and replacing Kendall with a sentient being that will fix the secondary.

FYP

HemiEd
05-09-2014, 10:23 AM

And there you have it folks, the real problem. The push for a playoff spot!

This is why this team is never going to draft a QB because, "pushing for a playoff spot" and being a "playoff team" is the goal.

How about winning it all?

LoneWolf
05-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Who was the last 31 year old pass rusher in the last year of their deal traded for anything?

Who was the last 30 year old pass rusher with 2 years left on his deal traded for anything, Mr. Wizard?

Pitt Gorilla
05-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Haha would have been great, but I like ford.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Who was the last 30 year old pass rusher with 2 years left on his deal traded for anything, Mr. Wizard?

Dick Seymour.

Omaha
05-09-2014, 10:30 AM

These guys could be difference makers. They both have a ton of potential if they can get on the fucking field and play.

Discuss Thrower
05-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Microsurgery is not good for athletes man.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Also, other examples: Kris Jenkins and Corey Williams.

Point is, 31 year olds are worth less than 30 year olds, and players with two years left on their deal are worth more than players with one.

OldSchool
05-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Here is some good news about Kelce:

Chiefs coach Andy Reid confirmed Monday that second-year TE Travis Kelce is "progressing well" from last year's microfracture knee surgery, and "doing everything" in the offseason conditioning program.
Kelce had the operation on his right knee last October. It was considered a "minor" version of microfracture surgery. Beat writer Adam Teicher expects the Chiefs to use Kelce as their primary "pass receiver at tight end" in his second season, with Anthony Fasano and Sean McGrath focusing on blocking. A Heath Miller-type talent, Kelce has 2014 breakout appeal. He could benefit statistically if the Chiefs use their first-round pick on a position other than wide receiver. Apr 21 - 2:16 PM

KCinNY
05-09-2014, 10:43 AM
After watching some Ford clips this morning, the pick is looking better and better IF he can stay healthy.

Dude's first step is unreal. Looks offsides when he gets off on the snap.

Mr. Laz
05-09-2014, 10:44 AM
I think i would feel better if Como still hated it.

The Franchise
05-09-2014, 10:44 AM

LMAO

OnTheWarpath15
05-09-2014, 10:45 AM
I don't hate that they took a pass rusher. I hate that they took an injury prone one. It doesn't matter how much DT he has in him if he's also got a ton of Tony Moeaki in him. You can't make plays if you're not on the field. They only had 6 picks in this draft, and it seems like a massive gamble. It's the kind of first round selection that might have made sense with 10 or 12 picks. They're just opening the door again for the kind of initial problems they had with Kelce and Commings, with a greater risk for long-term issues.

Yep.

This organization has an odd fascination with injury prone players.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 10:46 AM
These guys could be difference makers. They both have a ton of potential if they can get on the fucking field and play.

They could also be absolutely nothing...

OnTheWarpath15
05-09-2014, 10:47 AM

LMAO

saphojunkie
05-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Cutting Tamba next offseason saves the Chiefs $9 million off the cap, with only 2.9M in dead money. He has one year left and that's it.

Omaha
05-09-2014, 10:49 AM
They could also be absolutely nothing...

Obviously. That's true of any pick. I get that, but these guys were mid round draft picks last year that we didn't get to see. I'm hoping it's like having them as two additional mid round picks this year.

el borracho
05-09-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure what people are freaking out about. :shrug: Buying Alex Smith a new toy isn't going to change the offense radically because Alex Smith is not a bomber- he's a dink dunk guy. Chiefs should spend heavily on defense in the years they have Alex. They drafted a passrusher in the 1st; what's the problem?

TEX
05-09-2014, 10:55 AM
After watching some Ford clips this morning, the pick is looking better and better IF he can stay healthy.

Dude's first step is unreal. Looks offsides when he gets off on the snap.

Go watch the one's against Manziel and A&M. You'll LOVE the pick!...And at the same time you'll pray that he can stay healthy. Dude has the quickest first step of anyone in the draft and he doesn't miss much when he's got you in his sights.

Omaha
05-09-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure what people are freaking out about. :shrug: Buying Alex Smith a new toy isn't going to change the offense radically because Alex Smith is not a bomber- he's a dink dunk guy. Chiefs should spend heavily on defense in the years they have Alex. They drafted a passrusher in the 1st; what's the problem?

They need guys who can get open catch the ball. They dropped way too many last year.

OldSchool
05-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Go watch the one's against Manziel and A&M. You'll LOVE the pick!...And at the same time pray that he can stay healthy. Dude has the quickest first step of anyone not named Clowney, Donald, or Easley in the draft.

Fixed your post.

saphojunkie
05-09-2014, 10:57 AM
If the Chiefs can somehow land Jordan Matthews, Cody Latimer, or Jarvis Landry, this draft will be a success to me. Because I would have taken any of those guys at #23.

Omaha
05-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Fixed your post.

You forgot to remove the unnecessary apostrophe from "ones"

Omaha
If the Chiefs can somehow land Jordan Matthews, Cody Latimer, or Jarvis Landry, this draft will be a success to me. Because I would have taken any of those guys at #23.

Jarvis Landry

Discuss Thrower

Matthews maybe.

The other two? Only if Lee, Bryant and Robinson are gone.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Fixed your post.

I think he's got a quicker first step than Donald. He's got better snap anticipation whereas Donald just explodes off the line.

DeezNutz
05-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Shit, we've been CoMoed. Is it possible to trade the player before he signs?

RealSNR
05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I would rather have had Kony Ealy than Dee Ford for obvious reasons.

-Durability

-Tightness against the run

-Ability to attack from all edges and not get hung up at the 7 when going against a TE

I don't mind at all that we got another pass rusher. Just not Dee Ford. I don't like him as a 1st rounder. We could have had better players at that position if that's the direction we wanted to go.

Dee Ford after a trade down? Fuck yes I would have done that. But just at 23, we're now still dicked out of luck with the lack of picks in such a deep draft.

So I'm meh. I'm going to go into the 2nd and 3rd round today far less excited than I was last night

RealSNR
05-09-2014, 11:11 AM

I would absolutely start dealing out next year's picks if it meant being able to get Latimer or Matthews in the 2nd.

TEX
05-09-2014, 11:14 AM
I would rather have had Kony Ealy than Dee Ford for obvious reasons.

-Durability

-Tightness against the run

-Ability to attack from all edges and not get hung up at the 7 when going against a TE

I don't mind at all that we got another pass rusher. Just not Dee Ford. I don't like him as a 1st rounder. We could have had better players at that position if that's the direction we wanted to go.

Dee Ford after a trade down? **** yes I would have done that. But just at 23, we're now still dicked out of luck with the lack of picks in such a deep draft.

So I'm meh. I'm going to go into the 2nd and 3rd round today far less excited than I was last night

I like Ford. Monster first step. I am concerned with his ability to stay healthy though.

RealSNR
05-09-2014, 11:16 AM
I'd rather have Ford.

The Patriots took Dominique Easley

RunKC
05-09-2014, 11:27 AM
I do too. Again, the definition of rebuilding.

I think Kelce will have a big impact this year.

You're acting like it's going to take 3 years for these guys to do anything on the field.
I think most of them will be solid role players this year that make a difference. Not focal players like Houston or Berry, but solid contributors.

keg in kc
05-09-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm going to go into the 2nd and 3rd round today far less excited than I was last nightI'm trying to figure out how you got yourself excited for the first round of a Chiefs draft.

Rausch
05-09-2014, 11:34 AM

You're acting like it's going to take 3 years for these guys to do anything on the field.

Considering his injury he might not ever play again...

Frosty
05-09-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm trying to figure out how you got yourself excited for the first round of a Chiefs draft.

I was just excited that they didn't take a guard or 3-4 DE.

RealSNR
05-09-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm trying to figure out how you got yourself excited for the first round of a Chiefs draft.

It's the draft. I almost like it more than football itself.

Fuck, I was excited on draft day last year, even though I had totally accepted the fact that we were gonna be fatting it up at 1.1

Chiefnj2
05-09-2014, 11:38 AM

He was smoking from the Johnny football pipe.

RunKC
05-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Considering his injury he might not ever play again...

I thought Reid said he was on the field running and doing drills with no problems at all?

RealSNR
05-09-2014, 11:45 AM
He was smoking from the Johnny football pipe.

I actually didn't want Manziel. I wouldn't have drafted him even if he fell to 23.

ModSocks
05-09-2014, 11:47 AM
I actually didn't want Manziel. I wouldn't have drafted him even if he fell to 23.

Same

Baby Lee
05-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Patriot's assessment

http://cdn.brobible.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/manziel-1.png

http://cdn.brobible.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/manziel-2-1.png

keg in kc
05-09-2014, 11:51 AM
It's the draft. I almost like it more than football itself.

****, I was excited on draft day last year, even though I had totally accepted the fact that we were gonna be fatting it up at 1.1I don't think I've ever been less interested in a draft then this year. Eric Fisher set the tone last year, so I figured it would just be another dud. They could've done worse, I expected a guard, but damn, an undersized, always hurt one-dimensional guy in the first round?

J Diddy
05-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Patriot's assessment

Not buying that.

Garcia Bronco
05-09-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't think I've ever been less interested in a draft then this year. Eric Fisher set the tone last year, so I figured it would just be another dud. They could've done worse, I expected a guard, but damn, an undersized, always hurt one-dimensional guy in the first round?

Raiders did the exact same thing

gblowfish
05-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Wow...at first I thought this thread said "I slept with it...now I'm warming up to this prick."

Carry on.
Nothing to see here.

Halfcan
05-09-2014, 12:37 PM
They will find a way to get Ford in the game. Ford, Poe, Houston, Hali, DJ- pick your poison on who you can double team.

KCDC
05-09-2014, 12:40 PM

Agreed. Moreover, if you are in rebuild mode, then rebuild around a QB like Bridgewater that an injury prone OLB. In a rebuild, IMO, you start with a QB that can be a franchise QB and go from there. There were several potential franchise QBs there at #23 and we took a pass on them all. Those opportunities rarely occur. There will always be an injury prone pass rusher available at the end of the first round. Franchise QBs are very rare.

OldSchool
05-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Agreed. Moreover, if you are in rebuild mode, then rebuild around a QB like Bridgewater that an injury prone OLB. In a rebuild, IMO, you start with a QB that can be a franchise QB and go from there. There were several potential franchise QBs there at #23 and we took a pass on them all. Those opportunities rarely occur. There will always be an injury prone pass rusher available at the end of the first round. Franchise QBs are very rare.

We're not in rebuild mode. The sooner you realize that Reid already has the QB that he wants in Alex Smith, the better.

Baby Lee
05-09-2014, 12:41 PM
They will find a way to get Ford in the game. Ford, Poe, Houston, Hali, DJ- pick your poison on who you can double team.

Not Hali, you can just turn his helmet until he's looking out the earhole. Apparently comes straight from Goodell.

saphojunkie
05-09-2014, 12:46 PM

Which is why, when Reid thought he found one, they traded two second round picks for him.

jspchief
05-09-2014, 12:55 PM
It's a good pick. People get too wrapped up in specific positions because they think it's the missing link. The fact is, Hali is expensive and aging and adding depth to the pass rush is never a bad thing. Last year we heard about how many snaps all those guys took and how it supposedly affected their performance down the stretch.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 12:55 PM

I think most of them will be solid role players this year that make a difference. Not focal players like Houston or Berry, but solid contributors.

Definition of rebuilding.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 12:56 PM
We're not in rebuild mode. The sooner you realize that Reid already has the QB that he wants in Alex Smith, the better.

They're rebuilding around Alex Smith. They're treating him like a 22-year old draftee.

Bl00dyBizkitz
05-09-2014, 12:58 PM
I heard a lot of bitching on this thread last year on how Dorsey didn't rotate enough, and our guys were worn out halfway through the season and never recovered. Whether or not Sutton actually learned to ****ing rotate or whether Dorsey/Reid sees this, I don't have a clue, but hopefully this kid goes beyond expectations. That's what we need right about now.

Discuss Thrower
05-09-2014, 12:59 PM
I heard a lot of bitching on this thread last year on how Dorsey didn't rotate enough, and our guys were worn out halfway through the season and never recovered. Whether or not Dorsey actually learned to fucking rotate or whether Dorsey/Reid sees this, I don't have a clue, but hopefully this kid goes beyond expectations. That's what we need right about now.

That would be Sutton.

Reerun_KC
05-09-2014, 01:02 PM
I slept last night and still never heard of this pick. To the mediocrity!

Dave Lane
05-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Thank god. Now I know its a total wasted pick. Or maybe it going to be OK at first and then go to shit.

Dayze
05-09-2014, 01:25 PM
I'm not as mad as I was last night. I quickly realized that this is the Chiefs we're talking about. and no matter who we draft, we aren't going to a Super Bowl

ptlyon
05-09-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm not as mad as I was last night. I quickly realized that this is the Chiefs we're talking about. and no matter who we draft, we aren't going to a Super Bowl

At least the lad is going to be a millionaire

RunKC
05-09-2014, 01:33 PM
They're rebuilding around Alex Smith. They're treating him like a 22-year old draftee.

No they're not. There's a lot of talent on this team. It doesn't matter what mindset you have, win now or rebuild, you HAVE to reload with players capable of taking over for the old talented players.

It's not a choice. It's a fact.

Exoter175
05-09-2014, 01:58 PM
The only problem I have with this pick, after watching as many highlight videos as I could find last night after going "what? really?", is that the guy doesn't look like he's a fundamental tackler.

I know everybody else talks about how he can't shed blocks, can't bull rush, and can't stop the run, all things I'm kind of "meh" about with that much speed coming off the corner in our defense, but the one thing I watched is how several semi-mobile and pocket passers were able to get away from this guy because he tries to tackle with his hands and arms.

Aside from that, he's got a great motor on him, he didn't seem to slow down at all in his bigger games from snap 1 to snap 65+, he looks like he's got some really good tangible assets to work with. Watched a couple videos where he just had an instinct for the snap and beat the tackle by a mile, also seemed like he had a sixth sense for slipping inside to the guard and just collapsing a pock with his speed inside. Looked pretty natural at pulling off a rush to setup in a passing lane to get his hands up. In that FSU game he all but removed the TE and slot guys in the 3rd and 4th quarters by getting in the way.

All of that said, with the right coaching, the right mentor (hali), the right work ethic (A+ on this guy) and the right mentality, he could truly become something every bit as great as Hali, if not better. I just hope he bulks up just a bit more in good weight, and spends the off season on some hand drills to better remove a blocker.

Guy seems like a real grinder at that position though, the type of guy who will "play" you at the tackle spot going outside, and ever now and then go inside and just embarrass you.

I like the talent, I like the pick, I like the thought process behind it, setting up Hali's replacement who will also at worst, spell hali/houston in the pass rush late game, and/or fit into the defense in a three headed beast of a DE/OLB/OLB setup with Hali, Houston, and Ford.

Peyton Manning might want to consider retirement if we end up using all three on a 3 down basis, because there's no way Denver (without a blocking back) keep Manning upright against us lol.

Exoter175
05-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Also, I'm really happy we didn't draft that guard.

Iconic
05-09-2014, 02:05 PM
Never thought about it until now but the fact that Hali will have the opportunity to mentor a young Ford is exciting... I swear we are going to have two Houston's on our team by years end.

Mr. Laz
05-09-2014, 02:06 PM
I disagree.

While it's true that Smith is a mad bomber, a bigger threat at WR would add more YAC to those dinks because the secondary would have to stay further back. A bigger receiving threat would also give Jamaal Charles more running lanes. Defenses would be less likely to blitz with safeties and cornerbacks as well which would make the blocking assignments easier for our OL.

a legit deep WR would bring more consistency to our offense, especially against the tougher defenses.

htismaqe
05-09-2014, 02:07 PM
I disagree.

While it's true that Smith is a mad bomber, a bigger threat at WR would add more YAC to those dinks because the secondary would have to stay further back. A bigger receiving threat would also give Jamaal Charles more running lanes. Defenses would be less likely to blitz with safeties and cornerbacks as well which would make the blocking assignments easier for our OL.

a legit deep WR would bring more consistency to our offense, especially against the tougher defenses.

This.