PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft List of all the comp picks. What can we expect next year?

DTLB58
05-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Round Pick Player Name Team Position College
3 33 97 Dri Archer Steelers RB Kent State
3 34 98 Richard Rodgers Packers TE California
3 35 99 Crockett Gillmore Ravens TE Colorado State
3 36 100 Brandon Thomas 49ers T Clemson
4 33 133 Nevin Lawson Lions DB Utah State
4 34 134 Brent Urban Ravens DT Virginia
4 35 135 Tom Savage Texans QB Pittsburgh
4 36 136 Larry Webster Lions DE Bloomsburg (PA)
4 37 137 Dakota Dozier Jets T Furman
4 38 138 Lorenzo Taliaferro Ravens RB Coastal Carolina
4 39 139 Prince Shembo Falcons LB Notre Dame
4 40 140 Cameron Fleming Patriots T Stanford
5 33 173 Wesley Johnson Steelers T Vanderbilt
5 34 174 Devon Kennard Giants LB USC
5 35 175 John Urschel Ravens G Penn State
5 36 176 Jared Abbrederis Packers WR Wisconsin
6 33 209 Quincy Enunwa Jets WR Nebraska
6 34 210 IK Enemkpali Jets DE Louisiana Tech
6 35 211 Jay Prosch Texans RB Auburn
6 36 212 Marquis Flowers Bengals LB Arizona
6 37 213 Tajh Boyd Jets QB Clemson
6 38 214 Garrett Gilbert Rams QB Southern Methodist
6 39 215 Daniel McCullers Steelers DT Tennessee
7 33 248 Ahmad Dixon Cowboys DB Baylor
7 34 249 Michael Sam Rams DE Missouri
7 35 250 Demetrius Rhaney Rams C Tennessee State
7 36 251 Ken Bishop Cowboys DT Northern Illinois
7 37 252 Lavelle Westbrooks Bengals DB Georgia Southern
7 38 253 Yawin Smallwood Falcons LB Connecticut
7 39 254 Terrance Mitchell Cowboys DB Oregon
7 40 255 Tyler Starr Falcons LB South Dakota
7 41 256 Lonnie Ballentine Texans DB Memphis
Drafthistory.com

Rausch
05-12-2014, 12:32 PM
We'll get 6 and they'll all be 3rd rounders...

Direckshun
05-12-2014, 12:37 PM
You can only have 4.

It's hard to predict, because the formula they use to describe the players you acquire to mitigate the players you've lost is ill-defined.

At this point, I predict we'll get a 3rd, a 4th, a 5th, and a 6th.

Mr. Laz
05-12-2014, 12:52 PM
if we are relying on comp picks to save us then we are probably already fucked

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 02:15 PM
You can only have 4.

It's hard to predict, because the formula they use to describe the players you acquire to mitigate the players you've lost is ill-defined.

At this point, I predict we'll get a 3rd, a 4th, a 5th, and a 6th.

Not a chance in hell compared to what other teams lost.

3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th at worst, hoping for 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th.

Fritz88
05-12-2014, 02:16 PM
two thirds?

I'll take it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Round Pick Player Name Team Position College
3 33 97 Dri Archer Steelers RB Kent State
3 34 98 Richard Rodgers Packers TE California
3 35 99 Crockett Gillmore Ravens TE Colorado State
3 36 100 Brandon Thomas 49ers T Clemson
4 33 133 Nevin Lawson Lions DB Utah State
4 34 134 Brent Urban Ravens DT Virginia
4 35 135 Tom Savage Texans QB Pittsburgh
4 36 136 Larry Webster Lions DE Bloomsburg (PA)
4 37 137 Dakota Dozier Jets T Furman
4 38 138 Lorenzo Taliaferro Ravens RB Coastal Carolina
4 39 139 Prince Shembo Falcons LB Notre Dame
4 40 140 Cameron Fleming Patriots T Stanford
5 33 173 Wesley Johnson Steelers T Vanderbilt
5 34 174 Devon Kennard Giants LB USC
5 35 175 John Urschel Ravens G Penn State
5 36 176 Jared Abbrederis Packers WR Wisconsin
6 33 209 Quincy Enunwa Jets WR Nebraska
6 34 210 IK Enemkpali Jets DE Louisiana Tech
6 35 211 Jay Prosch Texans RB Auburn
6 36 212 Marquis Flowers Bengals LB Arizona
6 37 213 Tajh Boyd Jets QB Clemson
6 38 214 Garrett Gilbert Rams QB Southern Methodist
6 39 215 Daniel McCullers Steelers DT Tennessee
7 33 248 Ahmad Dixon Cowboys DB Baylor
7 34 249 Michael Sam Rams DE Missouri
7 35 250 Demetrius Rhaney Rams C Tennessee State
7 36 251 Ken Bishop Cowboys DT Northern Illinois
7 37 252 Lavelle Westbrooks Bengals DB Georgia Southern
7 38 253 Yawin Smallwood Falcons LB Connecticut
7 39 254 Terrance Mitchell Cowboys DB Oregon
7 40 255 Tyler Starr Falcons LB South Dakota
7 41 256 Lonnie Ballentine Texans DB Memphis
Drafthistory.com

Thought these were all awesome picks.

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 02:17 PM
two thirds?

I'll take it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Albert and Tjax alone should get us 2 3rds undisputed IMO

Direckshun
05-12-2014, 02:37 PM
TJax was mitigated by the Vance Walker deal.

RealSNR
05-12-2014, 02:44 PM

Walker's deal was much cheaper than what Tyson Jackson got from the Falcons. I might be making shit up, but I thought dollar value of contract was a large factor in what teams received in compensation?

So we might not get a 3rd out of that, but it's possible the net difference between Walker and Jackson will result in a 7th or something like that.

In any case, we'll get compensated for Albert, Asamoah, Schwartz, and Lewis. That's probably a something like a 3rd, two 5ths, and a 6th.

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 02:48 PM

No he wasn't, not in the eyes of the league. 1st round vs. 7th round picks, 55 starts and 74 games vs. 26 starts and 73 games.

Sure, his production in our system might play comparable, but compensatory selections have a formula to them, and Salary, Draft Position, and Production all play a part in how they are awarded.

Do you think Linkenbach makes up for Asamoah and/or Schwartz? Nahhhhhh. What about Kendrick Lewis? Dexter McCluster?

You look at the total value of all 6 of our losses, of which we replaced none in free agency, their draft positions, how long we had them, what we paid them, and their production, and its almost an automatic double 3rd selection for us, and at worst a double 4th selection for us on top of a 3rd.

chiefzilla1501
05-12-2014, 02:53 PM
if we are relying on comp picks to save us then we are probably already ****ed

The point was never that comp picks would save us. The point was that getting 4 picks without giving anything up is a really nice bonus. In the 3rd to 6th round range, no reason why we can't find starting offensive linemen, linebackers, nickel and slot guys. Maybe we somehow steal a very good starter.

It would be a really nice offseason if we cleaned up our cap, re-signed Berry and Smith, freed up space to re-sign Houston, AND still managed 4 picks in compensation.

htismaqe
05-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Take it for what it's worth, this is from Wikipedia (quick and dirty).

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

That there tends to support what Exoter is saying.

Direckshun
05-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Walker's deal was much cheaper than what Tyson Jackson got from the Falcons. I might be making shit up, but I thought dollar value of contract was a large factor in what teams received in compensation?

So we might not get a 3rd out of that, but it's possible the net difference between Walker and Jackson will result in a 7th or something like that.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Direckshun
05-12-2014, 03:01 PM
No he wasn't, not in the eyes of the league. 1st round vs. 7th round picks, 55 starts and 74 games vs. 26 starts and 73 games.

Sure, his production in our system might play comparable, but compensatory selections have a formula to them, and Salary, Draft Position, and Production all play a part in how they are awarded.

Do you think Linkenbach makes up for Asamoah and/or Schwartz? Nahhhhhh. What about Kendrick Lewis? Dexter McCluster?

You look at the total value of all 6 of our losses, of which we replaced none in free agency, their draft positions, how long we had them, what we paid them, and their production, and its almost an automatic double 3rd selection for us, and at worst a double 4th selection for us on top of a 3rd.

Nobody gives a shit about where players were drafted or what has happened. They pretty much only care about contract size and snap count.

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 03:04 PM
The point was never that comp picks would save us. The point was that getting 4 picks without giving anything up is a really nice bonus. In the 3rd to 6th round range, no reason why we can't find starting offensive linemen, linebackers, nickel and slot guys. Maybe we somehow steal a very good starter.

It would be a really nice offseason if we cleaned up our cap, re-signed Berry and Smith, freed up space to re-sign Houston, AND still managed 4 picks in compensation.

Welllllll, we really did give up a solid starting line in the way of saving ourselves from cap hell, so it was rather a give or take situation.

Take it for what it's worth, this is from Wikipedia (quick and dirty).

That there tends to support what Exoter is saying.

The one about post season honors basically makes Albert't alone a 3rd round compensatory, that isn't even up for debate.

The question is, does McCluster's consistent production and pro bowl selection justify a 3rd round selection as well? Because he's definitely a 4th round compensatory for us, I don't feel there is much debate there, other than if he could be valued as a 3rd or not.

Schwartz we didn't have long enough to justify a deep compensatory selection IMO, which gives us the 7th or 6th round selection at worst, and both Asamoah and Lewis played enough as starters, and one got signed to a big enough deal (like McCluster) that might bump their nominal round value up one more round.

Albert was a 1st rounder, Jackson was a 1st rounder, Dexter was a 2nd rounder, Asamoah was a 3rd rounder, Lewis was a 5th rounder.

I feel like Albert gives us an automatic 3rd, Jackson and Dexter together give us a 3rd, Asamoah gives us a 4th, and Lewis a 5th or 6th. If they include Schwartz, and I don't think they will, I feel like that'll be the 3,3,4,5 cap, or the 3,4,4,5 cap on our picks, instead of having two early, and two late.

Thanks to the contracts these guys signed with their new teams though, I feel like the odds of us getting less than a 3,4,4,5/6 are very slim, and the odds of getting a 3,3,4,5/6 are pretty high.

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Nobody gives a shit about where players were drafted or what has happened. They pretty much only care about contract size and snap count.

Its in the formula, so apparently the committee does, because they compensate well for teams who lost someone they drafted and started many games but couldn't pay comparative to their market dictation.

jd1020
05-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Its in the formula, so apparently the committee does, because they compensate well for teams who lost someone they drafted and started many games but couldn't pay comparative to their market dictation.

As far as I know no one exactly knows how they come to their decisions.

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 03:09 PM
As far as I know no one exactly knows how they come to their decisions.

Because the whole formula isn't public knowledge, and there's good reason for that.

jd1020
05-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Because the whole formula isn't public knowledge, and there's good reason for that.

So how the fuck can you say that "it's in the formula?"

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 03:16 PM
So how the fuck can you say that "it's in the formula?"

Because of everything that has been spoken about to be in the formula, plus guys talking about how Comp pick works, it all eludes to there being a section in the formula for guys who signed elsewhere on after being drafted high and see X% of possible starts.

IE, If your mother goes drafted in the 2nd round as a Left Tackle, signs a 4 year 7 million dollar contract ( or whatever the rookie pay scale is these days. Becomes a starter mid season year 1, ends up playing in all 64 games, starting in 56 of them, then goes and signs a 5 year, 32 million contract, the committe is going to take a few things into account.

1. The contract he signed from Free Agency
2. The number of snaps or % of play time
3. How many years he was with the team and if they drafted him, and where he was drafted.
4. Whether that team landed a comparable value free agency for the player, or in the pool of gained and lost players as a whole.

There's a lot more to it, but losing a 3-4 year guy you've had on your team and has seen significant play time is a big time part of the formula, you can bet your ass on it.

rtmike
05-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Obviously there's no limit on how many picks can be awarded per round.

The Jets had 3 in the 6th round. :eek:

They had only one other in this draft.

jd1020
05-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Got a link to where someone mentions anything about the formula including some bullshit about where a player was drafted?

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Obviously there's no limit on how many picks can be awarded per round.

The Jets had 3 in the 6th round. :eek:

Actually they had more than a few in this draft.

Tell that to that Rausch guy who tried to tell me the other day that you can't have more than 1 per round and then I posted the Compensatory selections post and highlighted how frequently it happened this year lol.

Got a link to where someone mentions anything about the formula including some bullshit about it including where a player was drafted?

No, and you're not going to find one, ever. But you can find a link to about a million places saying that the full formula isn't public and yada yada yada.

Did I mention it is an owners meeting? Owners seek value and you better believe that a guy that you drafted earlier, started many games, and you couldn't afford his contract coming out of the rookie deal, is going to land you compensation not just based on his salary or his starts, but also where you drafted him and how long he was on the team.

jd1020
05-12-2014, 03:24 PM
This is all you get from nfl.com

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000151670/article/nfl-awards-32-compensatory-draft-picks-to-16-teams

Curiously missing the whole how long the player spent on his previous team and draft position.

jd1020
05-12-2014, 03:25 PM
No, and you're not going to find one, ever. But you can find a link to about a million places saying that the full formula isn't public and yada yada yada.

So you are basically talking out of your ass. Got it.

Moving on.

teedubya
05-12-2014, 03:26 PM
The NFL hates KC... so, we'll get four 7ths.

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 03:34 PM
This is all you get from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000151670/article/nfl-awards-32-compensatory-draft-picks-to-16-teams

Curiously missing the whole how long the player spent on his previous team and draft position.

You forgot, from the same link

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula.

And From Wiki

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

All compensatory picks are awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

And Bleacher

According to Jimmy Kempski of Philly.com, the official formula for determining which round and number the picks will take place is not public.

And so forth.
So you are basically talking out of your ass. Got it.

Moving on.

Correction, I seem to be one of few people who actually knows a little bit more than the average Joe about how they work, and the fact that the formula isn't public knowledge, despite an NFL.com post covering nothing more than the basics for the average fan to swallow.

There's a fuck ton more in that formula than what is public.

jd1020
05-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Nothing you bolded even remotely hints to how long a player spent on the team or where he was drafted.

Learn to read.

Discuss Thrower
05-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Someone just sack up and Tweet at the guy who's supposedly got the formula mostly worked out.

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Bottom line being, if you have a 1st round draft pick that plays 70/74 games, that doesn't see a pro bowl selection, but signs a 5 year 40 million dollar contract, you're going to get MORE in comp than a 5th round draft pick that plays 70/74 games that doesn't see a pro bowl selection, but signs a 5 year 40 million dollar contract. Though, the liklihood of a 5th rounder seeing that level of payday is unlikely unless he's at a skill position and likely gets a pro bowl nod.

And I don't see how any of this disagrees with my assumption of a 3,4,4,5/6 or a 3,3,4,5/6 comp setup next year considering the players we lost and the contracts they have signed on face value alone.

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Nothing you bolded even remotely hints to how long a player spent on the team or where he was drafted.

Learn to read.

Yet, it specifically states that the whole formula is not public, which means the formula you quoted, is missing pieces.

What pieces are missing? Logical conclusion and process of deductions suggests exactly what the fuck I've been saying. :cuss:

jd1020
05-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Yet, it specifically states that the whole formula is not public, which means the formula you quoted, is missing pieces.

What pieces are missing? Logical conclusion and process of deductions suggests exactly what the **** I've been saying. :cuss:

ROFL

Exoter175
05-12-2014, 03:40 PM
ROFL

No, you're right.

The missing pieces to the formula that aren't public probably have something to do with what their favorite color is, and what flavor of ice cream they like best.

Get out of here.

Edit: Which is funny, because just a few posts back you quoted me and stated that nobody knows exactly what goes in it, but now you're so absolute with what is or is not there.