PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Quiktrip seems to be a good company: contaminated gasoline

Silock
05-12-2014, 09:55 PM
http://www.kmbc.com/news/quiktrip-to-make-good-after-gas-mixed-with-diesel-sold-in-olathe/25778146

My wife's car got hit with this. First repair job was just to drain the fuel lines and tank, and replace the plugs*. Total cost including towing was $505.

Called QuikTrip and they are reimbursing us for the cost of everything and giving us a gift card for the gas.

Check engine light came on the next day. Back to the shop. Fouled O2 sensor and damaged catalytic converter. Repair cost: ~$800. Called them, and this time, they aren't even going to bother with the reimbursing -- they're just going to pay the shop directly. Car will be ready tomorrow.

I hope it didn't screw anything else up, but it seems to be running just as good as it was before the incident. I have little doubt that Quiktrip would pay the cost if anything else went wrong. They've been nothing but good about this whole thing, and eager to help and please us and make it right.

*Edit!

Deberg_1990
05-12-2014, 09:57 PM
If that happened to my car even once, I would never buy gas there again. Why do you keep buying gas there?

Bowser
05-12-2014, 09:59 PM
http://www.kmbc.com/news/quiktrip-to-make-good-after-gas-mixed-with-diesel-sold-in-olathe/25778146

My wife's car got hit with this. First repair job was just to drain the fuel lines and tank, and replace the lines. Total cost including towing was $505.

Called QuikTrip and they are reimbursing us for the cost of everything and giving us a gift card for the gas.

Check engine light came on the next day. Back to the shop. Fouled O2 sensor and damaged catalytic converter. Repair cost: ~$800. Called them, and this time, they aren't even going to bother with the reimbursing -- they're just going to pay the shop directly. Car will be ready tomorrow.

I hope it didn't screw anything else up, but it seems to be running just as good as it was before the incident. I have little doubt that Quiktrip would pay the cost if anything else went wrong. They've been nothing but good about this whole thing, and eager to help and please us and make it right.

Did you happen to buy your gas at one of the newly renovated QT stores?

TLO
05-12-2014, 09:59 PM
I'd say thanks for paying for all the shit you broke, and then get gas somewhere else.

TimeForWasp
05-12-2014, 10:05 PM
why would you have to replace the gas lines for bad gas? Something fishy here.

Silock
05-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Did you happen to buy your gas at one of the newly renovated QT stores?

I didn't buy the gas. My wife did.

Just Passin' By
05-12-2014, 10:06 PM
That could cost them a lot of money. They were smart to get out in front of it.

RealSNR
05-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Women. Amirite?

Silock
05-12-2014, 10:07 PM
why would you have to replace the gas lines for bad gas? Something fishy here.

Sorry, should have been "replaced the spark plugs."

Bowser
05-12-2014, 10:08 PM
I didn't buy the gas. My wife did.

Ok. Did SHE buy the gas at one of the newly renovated QT stores?

Silock
If that happened to my car even once, I would never buy gas there again. Why do you keep buying gas there?

It only happened once . . .

As for why I would keep buying gas there: It could happen to any gas station. At least with them, I know they won't fuck me over.

Silock
Ok. Did SHE buy the gas at one of the newly renovated QT stores?

I have no idea. I've never been to that one. I don't know if it's new or renovated.

Dante84
05-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I dont know shit about gas.

Was it their fault, or their suppliers fault? Are they their own producers?I guess maybe they should test each batch upon delivery, but that doesn't seem very practical.

TimeForWasp
05-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Sorry, should have been "replaced the spark plugs."

makes sense. I accidently put diesel in my truck myself one time when I was traveling cross country. This was an older truck so didn't have all the sensors and shit, but I had to drive about 300 miles , stopping at every gas station along the way putting high octane gas in on every stop to finally get it to run half way normal. It was blowing smoke and running like shit. I was holding my breath that it wouldn't just bog down and die. Got lucky.

Miles
05-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Had something similar happen about 10 years ago at a Sam's club which is a very high volume station. The premium tank had bad gas and there were several dead cars there that filled up at almost exactly the same time as I did. Turned out the gas was basically water and repairs were roughly $2500 which was easily reimbursed as you experienced.

Chief_For_Life58
05-12-2014, 10:29 PM
I have no idea. I've never been to that one. I don't know if it's new or renovated.

was your wife on the news article about this a week ago or so? cus if so, I know your wife I went to high school with her

Chief_For_Life58
05-12-2014, 10:33 PM
http://www.kctv5.com/story/25414860/two-olathe-quiktrips-receive-contaminated-fuel

Bob Dole
05-12-2014, 10:34 PM

Was it their fault, or their suppliers fault? Are they their own producers?I guess maybe they should test each batch upon delivery, but that doesn't seem very practical.

There is a paste you put on the stick every night when you stick the tank level that will test for water content. No excuse for having too much water in the gas if protocol is followed.

NWTF
05-12-2014, 10:56 PM
I havent put Quik Trip gasoline in my vehicle in 7 or 8 years after a similar incident to this happened to a friend using Quik Trip gas. The mechanic blamed it on the gas and Quick Trip covered his repair without any hassle. Quik Trip "the store" is the best gas station around, but their gas is subpar, too much ethanol or something.

For this area BP has the best gas.

Silock
05-12-2014, 10:57 PM
was your wife on the news article about this a week ago or so? cus if so, I know your wife I went to high school with her

I don't think she was. And unless you went to high school in Paducah, Kentucky, you didn't go to high school with her. But hey, stranger things have happened . . . maybe you did!

BryanBusby
05-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Didn't this shit happen at another QuikTrip in like Lees Summit not that long ago?

Silock
05-12-2014, 11:03 PM
I havent put Quik Trip gasoline in my vehicle in 7 or 8 years after a similar incident to this happened to a friend using Quik Trip gas. The mechanic blamed it on the gas and Quick Trip covered his repair without any hassle. Quik Trip "the store" is the best gas station around, but their gas is subpar, too much ethanol or something.

For this area BP has the best gas.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

I honestly can't tell any difference in any of the big name gas retailers. My mileage is always the same, regardless of the place of purchase, whether it's BP, QuikTrip, Philips 66 or Shell. All of my cars run just fine on any of them.

Miles
05-12-2014, 11:43 PM
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

I honestly can't tell any difference in any of the big name gas retailers. My mileage is always the same, regardless of the place of purchase, whether it's BP, QuikTrip, Philips 66 or Shell. All of my cars run just fine on any of them.

I notice no difference as well. In my area they all seem to have the same added ethanol that cuts into mileage and there are no alternatives to get pure gas.

Valiant
05-12-2014, 11:48 PM
You use QuikTrip because they will fix their mistakes if it happens.

And this happens everywhere.

carcosa
05-13-2014, 01:56 AM
Contaminated? I knew something tasted funny...

TOUCHDOWN!!! KC
05-13-2014, 03:31 AM
99% of all gas comes from the same gas outlets. There is two in/around the metro one is south, and the other is up north. The only difference is additves that each company use.

As far the I know QT is the only one that guarantes their gas. If you have a fuel related issue and bought gas there they pay for it to get fixed. Period! I'm sure not all the other gas stations will do that.

TribalElder
05-13-2014, 05:51 AM

My wife's car got hit with this. First repair job was just to drain the fuel lines and tank, and replace the plugs*. Total cost including towing was $505.

*Edit!
I'm glad hey are assisting. I wondered how at would go when I saw the news story. It is hard to not hold a grudge after being inconveininced that much:thumb:

SAUTO
05-13-2014, 06:38 AM
it happens everywhere, a large gas station here in town dumped a whole tanker of diesel in the unleaded tank in feb.

I fixed MANY cars for them, they always paid me right away, paid for rental cars, etc...

shit happens, its how they fix it that really matters

htismaqe
05-13-2014, 06:53 AM
Good story. Good to know that customer service isn't a completely lost art.

We just finished a 4-week battle with Frigidaire on a refrigerator that clearly has an engineering/design flaw. Thousands of Internet reports of a failed circuit that allowed the incandescent light bulbs in the refrigerator to stay on with the doors closed, melting a massive hole in the top of the fridge.

We even had an extended warranty company fighting for us and Frigidaire was still completely unwilling to help. They never recalled the fridge but rather just discontinued making it altogether, putting the warranty company in a bind.

Luckily, the warranty company stepped up finally and just gave us a check so that we can buy a replacement. I have a feeling they'll be settling this with Frigidaire in court since a quick search of the Internet suggest we're not alone.

Simply Red
05-13-2014, 07:09 AM
their gas has always been liquid turd - V-Power is what's up.

Dayze
05-13-2014, 07:13 AM
Contaminated? I knew something tasted funny...

tastes like chicken

Warpaint69
05-13-2014, 07:19 AM
Something else to be aware of these days is the blending of unleaded with ethanol. Its rather damaging to small engines on lawn mores, ATV's and can be to your vehicle. With Ethanol blending you seem to have more water issues in the fuel. I started using this product called Ethanol Shield in my 700 yamaha grizzly, lawn mowers, and my vehicles to protect from this bull crap.

penguinz
05-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Something else to be aware of these days is the blending of unleaded with ethanol. Its rather damaging to small engines on lawn mores, ATV's and can be to your vehicle. With Ethanol blending you seem to have more water issues in the fuel. I started using this product called Ethanol Shield in my 700 yamaha grizzly, lawn mowers, and my vehicles to protect from this bull crap.In small engines run premium and get it from hyVee if you can. hyVee premium is ethanol free.

J Diddy
05-13-2014, 07:43 AM
tastes like chicken

You know what else tastes like chicken?

Vagina.

Yup vagina tastes like chicken.

Gonzo
05-13-2014, 08:34 AM
Quick Trip is a solid company. When I worked for GM, they would recommend QT to all new car customers. I've been using them for 15+ years and have never had a problem.

Bugeater
05-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Good story. Good to know that customer service isn't a completely lost art.

We just finished a 4-week battle with Frigidaire on a refrigerator that clearly has an engineering/design flaw. Thousands of Internet reports of a failed circuit that allowed the incandescent light bulbs in the refrigerator to stay on with the doors closed, melting a massive hole in the top of the fridge.

We even had an extended warranty company fighting for us and Frigidaire was still completely unwilling to help. They never recalled the fridge but rather just discontinued making it altogether, putting the warranty company in a bind.

Luckily, the warranty company stepped up finally and just gave us a check so that we can buy a replacement. I have a feeling they'll be settling this with Frigidaire in court since a quick search of the Internet suggest we're not alone.Every single thing Frigidaire makes is garbage. Avoid that brand at all costs.

htismaqe
05-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Every single thing Frigidaire makes is garbage. Avoid that brand at all costs.

That's what we've discovered. Nebraska Furniture Mart didn't act real surprised when we told them what was going on. Fortunately, that company also values customer service still.

gblowfish
05-13-2014, 11:45 AM
The triple stack sandwich I got there for lunch tastes like it was dipped in Diesel fuel....

Exoter175
05-13-2014, 11:51 AM
QT, the company, and their gas are solid. Anybody who dislikes anything QT is a loon. I've tested QT gas for years and they've had far and beyond the most consistent ethanol mix for the last 4-5 years than anybody else. Which is super important for us higher horsepower guys still on 91 not looking to switch to E85. QT is also very quick to roll out the summer blends. Usually about 4 weeks ahead of Shell/BP.

In this situation though, they got way ahead of the issues, which started at the location literally down the street from my house on a day I was supposed to get gas. One of the drivers for the 135th and Blackfoot store and 159th and 169 store in Olathe mixed like 45% diesel into the tanks. Olathe Ford saw the first few customers as soon as their doors open, and by the time we called QT, which we found was the common footing for all issues, they already knew about it and were taking down customer information and giving us billing information.

Those are solid people at QT, and I hope they end up expanding to the areas of the country where they have very little presence, IE West Coast.

And now they are offering Ethanol Free 87 and 91 fuels at select stations!!!!!!;)

Deberg_1990
05-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Thoughts anyone?

http://www.kcconfidential.com/2014/05/14/wade-williams-dear-diary-ethanol-totally-sucks/#more-19607

The Tree Huggers in Washington, D.C. won’t quit until every gas powered engine is rusted out …

You know, and we’re all are on bicycles, or better yet walking everywhere like in Europe.

Hey, it’s on the way – it’s happening now!

They want to rid the planet of fossil fuel and have pimped the government into paying farmers to grow corn to make a substitute fuel called Ethanol.

The process has begun; it’s being added to gasoline at filling stations and our engines are starting to rot and rust from within. Ethanol attracts moisture and turns to a corrosive substance. It rots the fuel pump, rusts gas lines, and clogs up the engine’s fuel delivery system.

Nice.

So now the car won’t run.

Ethanol is worthless – it’s not even energy efficient, it uses more energy to make than it produces- and it’s causing billions of dollars in damages to cars, boats, lawn mowers, weed eaters, power washers and about just every gasoline powered engine it is put in.

They’re trying to keep this a secret but the EPA and Congress know they screwed up.

Ethanol should be banned.

Quik Trip is trying to protect itself from possible billion dollar lawsuits by offering “Ethanol Free” gasoline at its pumps. They know what the deal is.

Why am I writing this?

Because two of my practically brand new power mowers, a weed eater and power washer would not run after being stored this past winter. Funny thing; the small engine repair shop said my mowers had bad crank shafts and the weed eater wasn’t even worth fixing.

All because I left some gasoline in them all winter.

They alerted me to the Ethanol Epidemic.

My classic car collection is another story.

Each car requires that the gas tank be removed, cleaned and coated and gas sender, fuel pump and lines be replaced. And that doesn’t even include the carburetors or fuel injectors…let alone the tow bill.

Lexus and most car companies I know will not include these repairs in their warranties, I’m told. Added to all that, Ethanol reduces the efficiency and mileage up to 40% in some cars.

The bottom line: We all should stop buying gasoline with Ethanol in it and complain to our congressmen.

They do work for us still, don’t they?

SAUTO
05-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Mechanics have known ethanol sucks for years...

Change a fuel pump that has ran that shit...
Posted via Mobile Device

Abba-Dabba
05-14-2014, 09:47 PM
99% of all gas comes from the same gas outlets. There is two in/around the metro one is south, and the other is up north. The only difference is additves that each company use.

As far the I know QT is the only one that guarantes their gas. If you have a fuel related issue and bought gas there they pay for it to get fixed. Period! I'm sure not all the other gas stations will do that.

All of that is correct. Basically QT gas around here is Conoco fuel with every additive QT is allowed to put in. One of the few that do that. It doesn't matter who sells it, QT, Cenex, Phillips, Kum-n-Go. It's all Conoco gas around here. QT's profit margin on fuel is so low that it's almost not worth it for them to sell. QT may make 2 and half cents per gallon sold. Of course the amount of customers they get by having gas makes up for it.

Deberg_1990
05-14-2014, 10:04 PM
QT's profit margin on fuel is so low that it's almost not worth it for them to sell. QT may make 2 and half cents per gallon sold. Of course the amount of customers they get by having gas makes up for it.

Thats probably true of most convience stores. They bank on people coming in to buy the overpriced hot dogs, sandwiches, candies, etc....

Abba-Dabba
05-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Thats probably true of most convience stores. They bank on people coming in to buy the overpriced hot dogs, sandwiches, candies, etc....

Pretty much. Mom and pops excluded

Wyndex
05-15-2014, 12:25 AM
I only get QT gas for both vehicles, have only gotten QT gas for the last several years solely because of how they take care of you if you get bad gas from them

dtebbe
05-15-2014, 01:12 AM
Thoughts anyone?

http://www.kcconfidential.com/2014/05/14/wade-williams-dear-diary-ethanol-totally-sucks/#more-19607

Why am I writing this?

Because two of my practically brand new power mowers, a weed eater and power washer would not run after being stored this past winter. Funny thing; the small engine repair shop said my mowers had bad crank shafts and the weed eater wasn’t even worth fixing.

All because I left some gasoline in them all winter.

:LOL: If a mechanic told me the crankshaft(s) in my mower(s) had to be replaced because of the ethanol I left in over the winter... I think the least of my worries would be the Ethanol fuel. ROFL

Give the carbs off those and the "weedeater not worth fixing" 30 minutes in my ultrasonic cleaner and they would be running fine.

That being said, ethanol does suck, and I only put ethanol free fuel in ANYTHING that sits for any amount of time at all, well worth the .20-.30 extra per gallon. Any small engine that I have to put ethanol in gets Sta-bil marine fuel additive. Knock on wood haven't had any issues

DT

Exoter175
05-15-2014, 02:29 AM
All of that is correct. Basically QT gas around here is Conoco fuel with every additive QT is allowed to put in. One of the few that do that. It doesn't matter who sells it, QT, Cenex, Phillips, Kum-n-Go. It's all Conoco gas around here. QT's profit margin on fuel is so low that it's almost not worth it for them to sell. QT may make 2 and half cents per gallon sold. Of course the amount of customers they get by having gas makes up for it.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's pretty far off. And instead of laughing about it, I'm just like :spock: There's so much info missing here from how the company actually operates, and saying that all the gas comes from the same place is a pretty big fallacy, especially in respect to QT and how they operate.

As for their profit margin, I think you'd love to hear about the actual numbers rather than speculations lol, you'd be surprised. That being said, the excise taxes and EPA regulations are what is truly killing the cost of gas this day and age. You've got almost a dollar a gallon in excise taxes going out to the state, Fed, and EPA alone.

But some of those overpriced hot dogs and sandwiches are effing delicious.

Ever had QT's smoked jalapeno dogs smothered with their Spicy Chipotle sauce? Delicious.

I only get QT gas for both vehicles, have only gotten QT gas for the last several years solely because of how they take care of you if you get bad gas from them

True story, its like have insurance you really don't have to pay for, and they specifically buy from refineries whose yields aren't from the middle east.

QT is so pro "muricah" it almost brings a tear to my eye.

SAUTO
05-15-2014, 06:20 AM
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's pretty far off. And instead of laughing about it, I'm just like :spock: There's so much info missing here from how the company actually operates, and saying that all the gas comes from the same place is a pretty big fallacy, especially in respect to QT and how they operate.

As for their profit margin, I think you'd love to hear about the actual numbers rather than speculations lol, you'd be surprised. That being said, the excise taxes and EPA regulations are what is truly killing the cost of gas this day and age. You've got almost a dollar a gallon in excise taxes going out to the state, Fed, and EPA alone.

Ever had QT's smoked jalapeno dogs smothered with their Spicy Chipotle sauce? Delicious.

True story, its like have insurance you really don't have to pay for, and they specifically buy from refineries whose yields aren't from the middle east.

QT is so pro "muricah" it almost brings a tear to my eye.

actually they buy from refineries from the us. that's true, but they say themselves they have no idea where the refineries get their crude from...

SAUTO
05-15-2014, 06:22 AM
From their own website:

QuikTrip is an American-owned, privately held company with a 50-year history in the convenience store/gasoline retail industry. The gasoline and diesel fuel we offer to our customers is purchased from various refineries all located in the U.S.

There have recently been a number of questions raised about whether QuikTrip buys gasoline from Middle Eastern or South American countries. We do not purchase any crude oil or have any influence on the purchasing decisions made by the companies who own the refineries.

As an independent marketer, we do not operate any pipelines or terminals; we are strictly a retailer of quality motor fuels and convenience items to consumers in our markets.

All gasoline marketers in the United States get their gasoline from various terminals in their cities. This gasoline has been mixed in pipelines with gasoline from a number of refineries. Although we may purchase our gasoline from a specific refiner, the gasoline we actually pull out of the pipeline is really generic. Even retail outlets of major oil companies end up drawing their gasoline out of the same pipeline as everyone else
http://www.quiktrip.com/Guaranteed-Gasoline

SAUTO
05-15-2014, 06:25 AM
so actually rubber sponge wasn't too far off either...

Gonzo
05-15-2014, 08:19 AM
QT, the company, and their gas are solid. Anybody who dislikes anything QT is a loon. I've tested QT gas for years and they've had far and beyond the most consistent ethanol mix for the last 4-5 years than anybody else. Which is super important for us higher horsepower guys still on 91 not looking to switch to E85. QT is also very quick to roll out the summer blends. Usually about 4 weeks ahead of Shell/BP.

In this situation though, they got way ahead of the issues, which started at the location literally down the street from my house on a day I was supposed to get gas. One of the drivers for the 135th and Blackfoot store and 159th and 169 store in Olathe mixed like 45% diesel into the tanks. Olathe Ford saw the first few customers as soon as their doors open, and by the time we called QT, which we found was the common footing for all issues, they already knew about it and were taking down customer information and giving us billing information.

Those are solid people at QT, and I hope they end up expanding to the areas of the country where they have very little presence, IE West Coast.

And now they are offering Ethanol Free 87 and 91 fuels at select stations!!!!!!;)

Dude... We get it. You work for QT ok?

http://youtu.be/FJ3oHpup-pk

htismaqe
05-15-2014, 08:23 AM

You're going to die.

Gonzo
05-15-2014, 08:52 AM
You're going to die.

Soon.

Exoter175
05-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Dude... We get it. You work for QT ok?

http://youtu.be/FJ3oHpup-pk

I don't, but if I had few job skills, that would be the #1 place to work for in KC IMO, atmosphere is great, the people there are seriously awesome, and the company has almost always been in the top 100 companies to work for, if not higher. Solid people, solid company. :thumb:

You're going to die.

Newsflash, so are you, but seriously though, go try that jalapeno dogs out with spicy chipotle on them. Its sooooo goooood.

Soon.

:evil:

Tytanium
05-15-2014, 09:47 PM

From the article, a valve was accidentally left open when they were refilling the underground tanks, and unleaded mixed with diesel.

SAUTO
05-16-2014, 06:43 AM
From the article, a valve was accidentally left open when they were refilling the underground tanks, and unleaded mixed with diesel.

thats usually what happens.

htismaqe
05-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Newsflash, so are you, but seriously though, go try that jalapeno dogs out with spicy chipotle on them. Its sooooo goooood.

OK, I will try it. Can you PM me your address so I can send you the doctor's bill?

:D