PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Defense scouting report

planetdoc
05-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Mile High report did a masterful scouting report of the chiefs defense back in November of 2013 (http://www.milehighreport.com/mhr-film-study/2013/11/14/5103680/kansas-city-chiefs-defense-scouting-report). I've combined that with what we have learned since than along with the chiefs new draft picks.
------------------------------------------------------------
Base
The first thing that sticks out on take when the Chiefs are in their base 3-4 defense is just how wide the OLB (Hali and Houston) line up. They are almost always in a wide 9 technique or even further out from the interior.
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3569471/wide_9_medium.PNG
The wide alignment helps with a couple of things. In coverage, you will see these guys drop into a shallow zone to protect the flat. Lining up here puts them closer to their assignment. When rushing the passer, they have the speed to make up that ground which puts pressure on the tackles to kick outside wide enough to pick them up. It helps them set up double moves and get folks off balance when they want to cut back inside.

Some believe (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2061653-breaking-down-how-the-kansas-city-chiefs-can-use-dee-ford-in-rookie-season) that this may also be the best way to make use of Dee Ford's skillset = speed.

Many believe, including Jinx Allessio of KCChiefsdraft.com, that Ford could fit best in a Wide 9 technique next year, which would allow Hali and Houston to stay on the field as well.
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/001/537/775/59e52304f1b7822cd6452bfc4fb0211f_original.png?1399959246
Ford's bread and butter is his speed and quickness around the edge. By getting out wide he's effectively eliminating much of the engagement with defenders that isn't hand usage while he's already on the move.

Much of what you hear about Ford is his quick first step.

Here's a play diagrammed below that shows how devastating Ford's first step is for an offensive lineman.
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/001/537/782/45efc36c3dca4e2637b7ff6ed27e756e_crop_exact.png?w=650&h=432&q=85

Mile High report says this about the chiefs use of the wide-9
This is a pretty standard set up for their line. Sometimes Poe will line up nose on the Center, but more often than not I see him shaded to one side or the other as 1 tech. DeVito OR Jackson can play the 5T depending on the defensive shift. Whoever that 5T is will two-gap and try to protect the B and C gap to their side of the LOS. Take a look at Derrick Johnson for a minute (red). This man is so fast at play recognition and he shoots to his assignment so quickly. On an alignment such as this, He could simultaneously be responsible for the A gap to the right and the C gap on the right (depending on whether or not Houston is going to rush or drop). He is capable of covering both.

The beauty of it for the Chiefs defense is that Poe has become such a disruptive defensive tackle that he can easily play either gap even when shaded.

Nickel or Dime?
Here is something fascinating about the Chiefs use of personnel. In sub packages Eric Berry plays more like a linebacker. I've seen it play after play where he will line up next to Derrick Johnson at the same depth. Sometimes he covers man to man like that cover LB would do (Danny Trevathan), sometimes he drops into a zone and eyes the field in front of him. Whether or not you want to call this nickel or dime is irrelevant. This is the personnel they like to use in obvious passing situations.

The other DTs they like to use as a 3T opposite of Poe is either #97 Allen Bailey, #94 Jackson, #70 Mike DeVito. I saw Devito used in this defense when offenses are coming out of their endzone.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3569665/235_medium.PNG

Now you will notice (look at the images) a 3 technique in both their base defense as well as in their sub packages. That is consistent with what John Dorsey says. (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/5/2/5675614/kansas-city-chiefs-john-dorsey-nfl-draft-press-conference-highlights)

In my mind I always had a cookie cutter image of what a 3-4 defensive end is supposed to look like. But in coach Sutton's defense, he has a big 5-tech defensive end and a 3-tech defensive end. Two distinctly different players to play those positions to succeed.

This is where Walker comes in. The chiefs defensive ends weren't productive rushers last yr.
https://i.imgur.com/zkP6LGY.png
Walker was playing a 3 technique position in a 4-3 Defense and was a very productive rusher.
https://i.imgur.com/WeB0FTt.png

Coverage
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3569665/235_medium.PNG

In subs, the chiefs would have 6 dbs on the field!
Berry, Smith, Cooper, and Flowers role will likely remain the same. Who will replace Lewis and Demps? Likely Abdullah and Commings.

With that many dbs getting playing time its important to have depth. That is where Gaines and Owens come into the equation and play a vital role.

Together, Walker, Ford, Gaines and others will help re-tool the chiefs defense bringing with it needed speed and depth.

Simplicity
05-13-2014, 08:45 PM
People who made this were legally high.

milkman
05-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Of interest to me is the 10 yard cushion that Lewis and Cooper are giving the receivers.

OldSchool
05-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Of interest to me is the 10 yard cushion that Lewis and Cooper are giving the receivers.

And yet they still manage to give up deep bombs. :doh!:

Sfeihc
05-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks for sharing, doc.
I hope this helps people realize the depth that was added to the CHIEFS defense this offseason.
Thomas replaces McCluster and Murray if healthy would have been picked well before pick the 5th round(163).
OL depth and competition was added with the two sixth rounders.
Plus, it's important to add Alex Smith to this draft as well just like last year. Having a good quarterback and team leader for two second rounders is a steep price but considering any alternatives it was a price worth paying.

Many needs were addressed and a few roster questions remain; Avery is still the #2 WR, starting RG and backup SS.

milkman
05-13-2014, 09:26 PM
And yet they still manage to give up deep bombs. :doh!:

That's because they were being abused by the short passing game, so they started to try to jump those routes.

When they did, the receivers just blew by them.

kcxiv
05-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Hali is slowing down, so it might be best to just put him at DE and let the rookie play OLB. Ill be fucking mad if he's hardly playing in his first year. HIs ass needs to be on the field.

milkman
05-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Hopefully Commings or Abdullah can do a credible job in the role of single high safety, because if they don't, Ford and Walker are not going to make one damn bit of difference.

OldSchool
05-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Damn Donald for testing so freaken well at the combine and playing like a monster at the Senior Bowl. He would have killed in our scheme.

chiefzilla1501
05-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Wide 9. That was the nickname for my penis. Actually, it was nicknamed McCluster. Probably because of its spin move.

Rausch
05-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Wide 9. That was the nickname for my penis. Actually, it was nicknamed McCluster. Probably because of its spin move.

I thought it was Fisher: shifted to the right and constantly getting beat...

xztop123
05-13-2014, 10:43 PM

Its the formation... the offense is in bunch/snugs nobody presses bunch... i dont even know if Seattle would

xztop123
05-13-2014, 10:53 PM
I just wish we could run 4-3 under cover 3 zone press like Seattle does... its the way defense is heading and is probably the only way to beat Denver

Easy 6
05-14-2014, 05:30 AM

LMAO now THOSE are funny.

Interesting read, thanks for posting it Doc.

HIChief
05-14-2014, 06:08 AM
ROFL

htismaqe
05-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Hopefully Commings or Abdullah can do a credible job in the role of single high safety, because if they don't, Ford and Walker are not going to make one damn bit of difference.

This.

planetdoc
05-14-2014, 06:32 AM
I forgot to talk about Joe Mays. He would replace Akeem Jordan. Just like Jordan, I expect his playing time to be limited.

I just wish we could run 4-3 under cover 3 zone press like Seattle does... its the way defense is heading and is probably the only way to beat Denver

chiefs barely have the personel for this. The Dline and secondary would be ok, but the issue would be the linebackers. Dee Ford and DJ could play 2 of the 3 linebacker positions, but who would be the third? I guess in that scenario the chiefs could use Berry as a lb again.

Anyong Bluth
05-14-2014, 07:07 AM
Solid Gold

- your 2014 Kansas City Chief's Defense

Dayze
05-14-2014, 07:41 AM
Nice post OP.

Dunerdr
05-14-2014, 08:10 AM
A football thread? What is this? Props

milkman
05-14-2014, 08:17 AM
Its the formation... the offense is in bunch/snugs nobody presses bunch... i dont even know if Seattle would

But you can not give 10 yards of cushion pre-snap to these offense that are utilizing the short passing game so effectively.

In this formation, you want to have the corners lined up close enough to make a tackle as soon as the catch is made to minimize yac.

Lining 10 yards off on a 3rd and 5 is conceding a first down.

milkman
05-14-2014, 08:23 AM
This.

This is what people aren't really getting here.

We can have the best rush in the league, but if the QB is getting the ball out in 2 seconds or less, it won't have any effect.

I believe it was the first game we played against Denver that Manning had the ball in the air prior to that 2 second mark.

If you don't have the single high safety with the speed/instincts to defend the deep zones, and you have to line up your corners 10 yards off the line in attempt to cover for that area of weakness, the Mannings, the Rivers, the Bradys of the world are going to abuse you in the quick/short passing game.

Aspengc8
05-14-2014, 08:37 AM
But you can not give 10 yards of cushion pre-snap to these offense that are utilizing the short passing game so effectively.

In this formation, you want to have the corners lined up close enough to make a tackle as soon as the catch is made to minimize yac.

All of this is irrelevant without knowing the coverage call. 7-10 yards off to read the underneath and jump the route. Conceding a first down.. LMAO

milkman
05-14-2014, 08:48 AM
All of this is irrelevant without knowing the coverage call. 7-10 yards off to read the underneath and jump the route. Conceding a first down.. LMAO

Yeah, I guess you didn't see WRs blow right by Cooper and Smith every time they jumped a route from that alignment.

htismaqe
05-14-2014, 09:00 AM

Yep, I've been saying it for months. That's why I wanted them to get a corner in the draft.

Yes, we have a gaping hole at FS. But our CBs are sorely lacking as well.

Anyong Bluth
05-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I guess you didn't see WRs blow right by Cooper and Smith every time they jumped a route from that alignment.

Once Lewis was basically identified as Shark chum - that cushion was the sacrifice of no reliable deep help over the top.

No other position has seen as much change as our DBs for the exact reason of fitting personnel to the scheme. A bunch of square pegs for round holes- and why they signed the FA guys. Robinson sucked, plain and simple. With a safety valve to protect over the top, I think Smith can still give you serviceable snaps. The Chiefs were chomping at the bit to get Sanders in for Lewis as quickly as possible off injury- and dumbshit bad luck he gets injured again almost right after being cleared to play.

Aspengc8
05-14-2014, 12:21 PM

If their assignment is to step up and cover short, its not their fault. Without seeing the entire play on film it's impossible to point fingers or see who is over the top.

Baby Lee
05-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Damn Donald for testing so freaken well at the combine and playing like a monster at the Senior Bowl. He would have killed in our scheme.

St. Louis radio called him 'a bowling ball of samurai swords' today.

They were also split on 'buy/sell' on whether the Rams are this years' WA Nationals, all flash, no substance.

I think Fisher will mold them into the most boring frustrating team to watch, and most painful team to play, in the league.

Think 97-99 Ravens.

chiefzilla1501
05-14-2014, 03:38 PM

If I had a nickel for every time my Eric Fisher got one of these. Not by old men, of coursehttps://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7908056832/hEB71548E/

Anyong Bluth
05-14-2014, 04:08 PM
If I had a nickel for every time my Eric Fisher got one of these. Not by old men, of coursehttps://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7908056832/hEB71548E/

They playing crisscross applesauce. .. ?

ottawa_chiefs_fan
05-14-2014, 05:30 PM

The bigger the cushion, the better the pushin'