PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink A good single cup coffee maker

Mr. Laz
05-16-2014, 05:12 PM
need one for a gift

needs to handle those specialty little cups with all the different flavor coffee and also do regular coffee grounds. Prefer reusable filter and small counter footprint.

Anyone have any product recommendations?

I don't drink coffee so i have no idea what to look for with them.

TIA

BigMeatballDave
05-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Keurig

dmahurin
05-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Keurig

This

The Franchise
05-16-2014, 05:30 PM
http://danicasdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Orange-Mini-Plus-Keurig_thumb.jpg

and get one of these

http://www.afrugalchick.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/solofill.jpg

Eleazar
05-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Keurigs are fine and make good tasting coffee but you'll get heartburn if you calculate how much you are spending per cup

Mr. Laz
05-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Keurigs are fine and make good tasting coffee but you'll get heartburn if you calculate how much you are spending per cup
a comparable machine that's the same quality without the brand name extortion?

blaise
05-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Our Keurig is good. Just try and buy the cups on sale when you can. But it works great. Some have bigger water reservoirs I think, which is good because you don't want to have to fill it all the time.

Mr. Laz
05-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Our Keurig is good. Just try and buy the cups on sale when you can. But it works great. Some have bigger water reservoirs I think, which is good because you don't want to have to fill it all the time.particular Keurig model that is best?

keg in kc
05-16-2014, 05:38 PM
http://cdn1.moneysavingmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/folgers.jpg
http://www.totallyfreecrap.com/Images/2009/oct/spoon.jpg

The Franchise
05-16-2014, 05:38 PM
How much are you wanting to spend?

blaise
05-16-2014, 05:43 PM
particular Keurig model that is best?

I just looked all over mine and if there's a model # I can't see it. If you get those Bed Bath and Beyond coupons for like 20% off one item you might try to get one there. We seem to get the coupon once a month.
As long as Keurigs aren't excluded on the coupon.

If you have a Costco membership they sell the cups in boxes from Starbucks and the Kirkland brand - if you'll be the one buying coffee.

Mr. Laz
05-16-2014, 05:50 PM
How much are you wanting to spend?
Haven't really decided, i would think under $300-ish.

Best valuable for the buck?

if there is a certain feature that is really good then i'm open.

Donger
05-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Keurig K75. I love mine, but it does take up a lot of real estate.

srvy
05-16-2014, 06:18 PM
I have this one and can vouch for it being very good and can do them all. K cups, Pods, Tea bags, ground coffee and just plain hot water. The only downfall and its not a problem really is that you pour each time the amount water you need for your brew each time. It doesnt have a storage for water. Also the tallest travel cup you can use is about 10" high. Dont let any this fool you this is a quality machine. I got mine for 119.00 at Lowes.

http://www.bunnathome.com/products/single-serve/my-cafe-mcu

HemiEd
05-16-2014, 06:26 PM

We have had a Keurig K45 for a couple years now.

My wife uses the prepack tea, but I just use Maxwell house and put it in the little plastic refillable containers. They were about four dollars at Target for four of them. If you buy the Keurig brand, it is about twenty bucks for one.

Mr. Laz
05-16-2014, 06:48 PM
I have this one and can vouch for it being very good and can do them all. K cups, Pods, Tea bags, ground coffee and just plain hot water. The only downfall and its not a problem really is that you pour each time the amount water you need for your brew each time. It doesnt have a storage for water. Also the tallest travel cup you can use is about 10" high. Dont let any this fool you this is a quality machine. I got mine for 119.00 at Lowes.

http://www.bunnathome.com/products/single-serve/my-cafe-mcu
interesting, i will check it out

thanks

Pasta Little Brioni
05-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Simple. Don't drink the garbage.

WhawhaWhat
05-16-2014, 07:09 PM
http://www.costco.com/Keurig%C2%AE-Platinum-Single-Cup-Coffee-Brewing-System.product.11537017.html

http://images.costco.com/image/media/oos350-520673-847__1.jpg

Have this one at work so it get's a lot of traffic but it hasn't had a problem in over a year and a half. I only use it for hot water to make tea but it uses K-cups obviously and we also have a little cup that you can put coffee grounds in.

sd4chiefs
05-16-2014, 07:45 PM
This is the best but expensive.

http://www.nespresso.com/us/en/home

ILChief
05-16-2014, 07:49 PM
If you get a keurig, don't get the vue. It takes different cups and very few places carry them

htismaqe
05-16-2014, 09:41 PM
I have a Nespresso but it doesn't make "flavored coffee", it makes actual rich espresso.

I love my Nespresso and would recommend to anyone who likes good espresso fast.

However, it sounds like what you need Laz is a Kuerig. My wife has one and she loves it. It makes all different kinds of coffee as well as hot chocolate, lemonade, tea, and anything else that will fit in a K-cup.

htismaqe
05-16-2014, 09:42 PM
a comparable machine that's the same quality without the brand name extortion?

Everybody and their dog makes K-cups. You don't have to buy Kuering brand coffee.

Green Mountain Coffee is a good place to get K-cup coffee cheap.

Mr. Kotter
05-16-2014, 10:29 PM
I have a Nespresso but it doesn't make "flavored coffee", it makes actual rich espresso.

I love my Nespresso and would recommend to anyone who likes good espresso fast.

However, it sounds like what you need Laz is a Kuerig. My wife has one and she loves it. It makes all different kinds of coffee as well as hot chocolate, lemonade, tea, and anything else that will fit in a K-cup.

THIS...any of the brewer models work well; depends on volume, preferences, and whistles-and-bell appeal otherwise.

Everybody and their dog makes K-cups. You don't have to buy Kuering brand coffee.

Yep. If you pay much more than 50 cents a cup...you are not looking too hard...If you can't afford a $1.00 a day for good coffee...go back to Mr. Coffee and Folgers.

Mr. Laz
05-16-2014, 10:56 PM

I thought they made it so their coffeemakers would only accept official Kuerig K-cups?

htismaqe
05-16-2014, 10:58 PM
I thought they made it so their coffeemakers would only accept official Kuerig K-cups?

Hell no.

Everybody makes K-cups now.

And like several people posted earlier, you can also buy K-cup sized reusable strainers so you can use just about any tea or coffee known to man.

The Kuering machine really is cool as shit and like Kotter said, you can totally get the coffee for around 50 cents a cup.

Simply Red
05-16-2014, 11:00 PM
I don't do the singles - but the 10 cup Bunn is pretty darned solid.

htismaqe
05-16-2014, 11:02 PM
I don't do the singles - but the 10 cup Bunn is pretty darned solid.

If you like decent espresso for less than $3 a fluid ounce, I can't recommend the Nespresso enough.

I use to go to the local coffee shops (or Starbucks) a couple of times day. I haven't been to any of them more than 2 or 3 times since Christmas when I got this machine.

Simply Red
05-16-2014, 11:08 PM
If you like decent espresso for less than $3 a fluid ounce, I can't recommend the Nespresso enough.

I use to go to the local coffee shops (or Starbucks) a couple of times day. I haven't been to any of them more than 2 or 3 times since Christmas when I got this machine.

I've been grinding my own, I buy that bulk Whole Foods stuff and grind it - you know the beans they store under a lamp? well those. I have to say that the taste of the coffee is stellar - it's really about the best coffee I have - but IIRC it's approaching 13$ per pound. Which is pretty darned absurd.

But the coffee is amazing in flavor.

HoneyBadger
05-16-2014, 11:12 PM
If you get a keurig, don't get the vue. It takes different cups and very few places carry them

I have the Vue. I love it. Kohls and Macys carry the cups and I get lots of offers to buy them online.

HoneyBadger
05-16-2014, 11:13 PM
I've been grinding my own, I buy that bulk Whole Foods stuff and grind it - you know the beans they store under a lamp? well those. I have to say that the taste of the coffee is stellar - it's really about the best coffee I have - but IIRC it's approaching 13$ per pound. Which is pretty darned absurd.

But the coffee is amazing in flavor.

I've never done that. Can you select how fine you grind the beans? I need to figure out how to use this coffee press I have.

htismaqe
05-16-2014, 11:13 PM
I've never done that. Can you select how fine you grind the beans? I need to figure out how to use this coffee press I have.

Most places, even Hy Vee, have a multi-function grinder. You can specifically set them to like "espresso" for example.

HoneyBadger
05-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Most places, even Hy Vee, have a multi-function grinder. You can specifically set them to like "espresso" for example.

I'll have to try this out.

htismaqe
05-16-2014, 11:18 PM
I'll have to try this out.

I just love coffee. The darker and richer the better.

Simply Red
05-16-2014, 11:23 PM

yes.

Simply Red
05-16-2014, 11:24 PM
I just love coffee. The darker and richer the better.

Just like my black stripper lady friends.

htismaqe
05-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Just like my black stripper lady friends.

I'm sipping a decaffeinato lungo right now, big boy.

Simply Red
05-16-2014, 11:30 PM
I'm sipping a decaffeinato lungo right now, big boy.

from that machine you'd mentioned? Where do you get that thing?

htismaqe
05-16-2014, 11:33 PM
from that machine you'd mentioned? Where do you get that thing?

Nespresso.com.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608012363895082863&pid=15.1

Simply Red
05-17-2014, 05:24 AM
Nespresso.com.

Thanks. Are you still up drinking, smed? :p

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 05:53 AM
Thanks. Are you still up drinking, smed? :p

I wondered how long it was going to be before somebody called me that...

ROFL

Simply Red
05-17-2014, 06:10 AM
I wondered how long it was going to be before somebody called me that...

ROFL

:clap:LMAO:p

rad
05-17-2014, 06:18 AM
We have had a Keurig K45 for a couple years now.

My wife uses the prepack tea, but I just use Maxwell house and put it in the little plastic refillable containers. They were about four dollars at Target for four of them. If you buy the Keurig brand, it is about twenty bucks for one.

I have a K65 and bought those refillable containers to try and they suck.....coffee was weak and got grinds in it. What brand of refillable cup did you use?

ILChief
05-17-2014, 06:21 AM
I have the Vue. I love it. Kohls and Macys carry the cups and I get lots of offers to buy them online.

Our kohls doesn't have them and we don't have a Macy's. Bed bath and beyond has a few flavors. Ended up buying the k2v adapter and use k cups

ILChief
05-17-2014, 06:22 AM

Future models are going to

Simply Red
05-17-2014, 06:25 AM
Nespresso.com.

How much was yours? I can't get one now - I just got that Bunn, but I may procure, down the road.

TOUCHDOWN!!! KC
05-17-2014, 06:27 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009PLQ5H2?cache=d1f4fb2b090258002b37cbd96f8b3b17&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1400329416&sr=8-9#ref=mp_s_a_1_9

Simply Red
05-17-2014, 06:29 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009PLQ5H2?cache=d1f4fb2b090258002b37cbd96f8b3b17&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1400329416&sr=8-9#ref=mp_s_a_1_9

Thanks - Bunn is pretty solid.

Al Bundy
05-17-2014, 06:34 AM
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/

milkman
05-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Good lord......

Simply Red
05-17-2014, 07:08 AM
Good lord......

What is your 'go to' cup at Starbucks, Milky?

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 07:10 AM
How much was yours? I can't get one now - I just got that Bunn, but I may procure, down the road.

It was like $300.

But I can't emphasize this enough:

It makes espresso every bit as good as my high-end Saeco machine, which was $400 AND it uses disposable cups like the Kuering.

There is absolutely nothing like it out there.

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 07:11 AM

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-1319855dt.jpg

Simply Red
05-17-2014, 07:18 AM
Milkman drinks Maxwell House - he's indicated such in other coffee threads.

That's fine - Maxwell House will wake you up also.

milkman
05-17-2014, 07:24 AM

Starbucks coffee is crap.

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 07:29 AM

Great Value is not coffee, my friend.

Fairplay
05-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Sam's Club has Keurig brewing systems on sale now for 109.98

milkman
05-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Great Value is not coffee, my friend.

If I am actually getting a high end coffee, it ain't Starbucks.

That coffee is crap.

Simply Red
05-17-2014, 07:34 AM

how about a cup of the standard drive thru dunkin donuts coffee? that stuff has clear & concise body - everyone likes it.

Mohammed knows how to brew! The Patel's own the Dunkin D's here in town.

milkman
05-17-2014, 07:38 AM
how about a cup of the standard drive thru dunkin donuts coffee? that stuff has clear & concise body - everyone likes it.

No Dunkin Donuts here.

There's a local place here called Higher Groundz.

When I want high end, that's the place.

Fairplay
05-17-2014, 07:44 AM

It kind of has a silky taste to it SR I'm not sure want to think of it right now I'd rather have QT coffee to be honest then that.

Simply Red
05-17-2014, 07:44 AM
No Dunkin Donuts here.

They're headed your way, from what I'm reading - I'm shocked they're not in Cali still - I guess any stores in California are really new, now...??? :shrug:

That's shocking to me, TBH.

Simply Red
05-17-2014, 07:46 AM
It kind of has a silky taste to it SR I'm not sure want to think of it right now I'd rather have QT coffee to be honest then that.

Stay away from their gas - V-power at Shell is what's up.

Fairplay
05-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Stay away from their gas - V-power at Shell is what's up.

I always go to shell and sometimes Sam's club.

Is it because they have no Ethanol SR?

Stewie
05-17-2014, 08:00 AM
Mr. Coffee sells a single brew coffee maker with the brew mechanism made by Keurig. It's about 1/2 the price of a Keurig if you find it on sale (or use a BBB 20% coupon).

srvy
05-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Mr. Coffee sells a single brew coffee maker with the brew mechanism made by Keurig. It's about 1/2 the price of a Keurig if you find it on sale (or use a BBB 20% coupon).

Yep and doesn't have the failure rate the Keurig machines have. Do a search for Keurig coffee maker problems you will see what I mean. I went through 2 before I said enough is enough. Family and friends have the same trouble. My sister finally got a K 60 and its been working like a champ. Its Keurigs least trouble free machine if you read about them. I went with the Bunn My Cafe mainly because of warranty and Bunn backs there stuff up. I can attest to it from owning there 10 cup drip for years.

Small form factor taken into consideration the My Cafe wins in this great machine. you do have to pour the amount of water you desire every time as there is no reservoir. Makes a great cup of coffee. I usually go with the grounds attachment and grind my own. I just dont find that the K cups are all that other than convenience. These sigle serve machines do take more coffee grounds.

Stewie
05-17-2014, 09:04 AM
As for Nespresso...

I work for an aerospace company that manufactures beverage makers under the Nespresso name (for aircraft). I must say Nespresso has their shit together. Their detailed specifications and demand for perfection is impressive.

Ragged Robin
05-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Not a fan of the Keurig stuff due to how proprietary it is and the coffee itself isn't even that great. I have a small single-cup Black & Decker coffee machine that was like $15.

Stewie
05-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Not a fan of the Keurig stuff due to how proprietary it is and the coffee itself isn't even that great. I have a small single-cup Black & Decker coffee machine that was like $15.

I still use my old drip-style Mr. Coffee. It has to be 20 years old. Still makes a great cup of Joe. I can probably brew a whole pot for the price of a single cup using a Keurig. And I'm picky about my coffee. It has to be 100% Colombian... none of that "House Blend," "Breakfast Blend" BS for me. All that stuff has bitterness to it on some level. No sugar, no cream, no foo foo shit... just straight up black coffee.

srvy
05-17-2014, 09:38 AM
I still use my old drip-style Mr. Coffee. It has to be 20 years old. Still makes a great cup of Joe. I can probably brew a whole pot for the price of a single cup using a Keurig. And I'm picky about my coffee. It has to be 100% Colombian... none of that "House Blend," "Breakfast Blend" BS for me. All that stuff has bitterness to it on some level. No sugar, no cream, no foo foo shit... just straight up black coffee.

Thats how I like mine black and near boiling hot. I had Mr Coffee drip maker for ages hell bought when Joltin Joe was first pushing them. But must say Bunn is it there pricy but for a reason.

KC Jones
05-17-2014, 09:38 AM
You can buy good coffee for the keurigs, but sometimes you get a stale batch that's been sitting in a warehouse for years and tastes a bit of the plastic containers it's been sitting in. I went in on one with some co-workers because we were disgusted by the swill our company provides. It's not economical although it beats the shit out of going to starbucks and paying $2/cup or $4 for warm milk with syrup (and a tiny bit of espresso).

You want the best coffee maker? french press. It's also as cheap as the coffee you buy and you can get a small one that's perfect for making just 1 cup. However the cleanup and getting the right sized grounds are issues for many (including me).

Lzen
05-17-2014, 10:30 AM
We bought a single cup Hamilton beach coffee maker from Lowe's a year or two ago. It was about $50 and uses the k-cups. It's a solid unit. It doesn't have a reservoir though. You have to pour in the water every time.

srvy
05-17-2014, 10:40 AM
You can buy good coffee for the keurigs, but sometimes you get a stale batch that's been sitting in a warehouse for years and tastes a bit of the plastic containers it's been sitting in. I went in on one with some co-workers because we were disgusted by the swill our company provides. It's not economical although it beats the shit out of going to starbucks and paying $2/cup or $4 for warm milk with syrup (and a tiny bit of espresso).

You want the best coffee maker? french press. It's also as cheap as the coffee you buy and you can get a small one that's perfect for making just 1 cup. However the cleanup and getting the right sized grounds are issues for many (including me).

A friend of mine swears by the aeropress.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Maker-Tote/dp/B0018RY8H0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1400344788&sr=8-3&keywords=aero+press

GloucesterChief
05-17-2014, 11:12 AM

Patent for K-cups ended a year or two ago. A lot of smaller coffee companies are jumping into the market. Some good and some bad.

Mr. Laz
05-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Patent for K-cups ended a year or two ago. A lot of smaller coffee companies are jumping into the market. Some good and some bad.
The patent ended but they are going to start making Keurig coffee makers that use some kind of barcode scan or something so that their coffee makers only use licensed K-cups.

I don't know when that will start ... Keurig 2.0 coffee makers or something

MTG#10
05-17-2014, 01:16 PM
Coffee grinder/french press only way to go

GloucesterChief
05-17-2014, 02:34 PM
The patent ended but they are going to start making Keurig coffee makers that use some kind of barcode scan or something so that their coffee makers only use licensed K-cups.

I don't know when that will start ... Keurig 2.0 coffee makers or something

We will see. That might flop if the consumers decide to keep the original keurig coffee makers without the DRM or use brands like Mr. Coffee and Bunn that don't have it.

Keurig will have to really make the case for why you should go with licensed over non-licensed and provide value for the customer.

Usually DRM schemes end up alienating people more then attracting them. The only one I can think of that didn't was Steam.

Miles
05-17-2014, 03:41 PM

It's probably the best you are going to do at home provided the beans are good but takes a fair amount of effort compared to a Keurig. I used to have making a travel mug using this method down really well but quit because it took damn long and SR would appreciate this but don't take coffee into my car anymore.

Miles
05-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Think it has been said but Cosco and Sams are probably the best for k-cups. Particularly when they have them on special for the month. Verona Dark from Sams is probably my favorite.

GloucesterChief
05-17-2014, 03:46 PM
My Walmart has a pretty good variety with decent prices. Sometimes I can get a good deal at my local HEB if they have coupons.

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 04:09 PM
No Dunkin Donuts here.

Well yeah, anytime you can go local and find a place that has a $30K espresso machine, you do it.

Starbucks is "settle" coffee. I can't drink drip coffee. It's like drinking Natural Ice or some shit. Watered down swill.

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Yep and doesn't have the failure rate the Keurig machines have. Do a search for Keurig coffee maker problems you will see what I mean. I went through 2 before I said enough is enough. Family and friends have the same trouble. My sister finally got a K 60 and its been working like a champ. Its Keurigs least trouble free machine if you read about them. I went with the Bunn My Cafe mainly because of warranty and Bunn backs there stuff up. I can attest to it from owning there 10 cup drip for years.

Small form factor taken into consideration the My Cafe wins in this great machine. you do have to pour the amount of water you desire every time as there is no reservoir. Makes a great cup of coffee. I usually go with the grounds attachment and grind my own. I just dont find that the K cups are all that other than convenience. These sigle serve machines do take more coffee grounds.

Bought two K60's a couple of years ago, one for us and one for my mom. Both still working just fine. You have to remember to clean them in the midwest, our water is fucking hard as shit.

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 04:12 PM

True, but I can make AND drink 4 cups of Nespresso coffee in the time it takes to grind and press 1 cup manually.

Miles
05-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Starbucks is "settle" coffee. I can't drink drip coffee. It's like drinking Natural Ice or some shit. Watered down swill.

Good comparison. Crappy drip coffee is only for caffeine purposes only and it's not even that great for it.

Miles
05-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Nespresso is sounding really interesting. Machine cost seems reasonable but is the cost of the pods really around $1 or are there better sources?

milkman
05-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Well yeah, anytime you can go local and find a place that has a $30K espresso machine, you do it.

I've been drinking "watered down swill" since before you were a twinkle.

srvy
05-17-2014, 05:32 PM
I work with guys that are fanatics. The buy beans that are green then roast. The use a burr grinder then French press. That is overboard in my opinion.

loce1959
05-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Have one at work. They take a Long time to brew. Have a Keurig at home. Just get the filter you fill yourself and a 99 cent mustard bottle at wal mart. Cut the tip off a bit and fill with coffee. Allows you to mix different blends.

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Nespresso is sounding really interesting. Machine cost seems reasonable but is the cost of the pods really around $1 or are there better sources?

I buy them from Nespresso.

Keep in mind a single shot espresso at Starbucks is like $1.59. At the locals, it's $2.

And you can get Lungo brews which are actually larger than a single shot.

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 06:18 PM
I've been drinking "watered down swill" since before you were a twinkle.

That's probably what's wrong with you then. :D

MahiMike
05-17-2014, 08:57 PM
We have an nespresso. Pretty nice. Don't worry about the cost. We do a regular pot of coffee in the morning and use this one in the afternoon. Great for company because they can pick their favors.

GloucesterChief
05-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Starbucks is awful. Tullys and Seattles Best are much better.

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 09:35 PM
Seattles Best

ROFL ROFL ROFL

ILChief
05-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Starbucks is awful. Tullys and Seattles Best are much better.

Starbucks owns Seattle's best. It's their lower tier brand

htismaqe
05-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Starbucks owns Seattle's best. It's their lower tier brand

That's why I laughed.

Seattle's Best is essentially Starbucks' "Great Value" brand.

Kaepernick
05-18-2014, 11:47 AM

Half the cost of Starbucks or other shop.

I drink one cup a morning and was throwing out the leftovers from the 10 cup coffee maker. Probaby still more expensive than 10 cups in the coffee maker, but bothered me to be throwing out most of the pot each morning.

Keurig works great for me. But I love really weak coffee, so I get a 16 ounce cup out of each K-cup.

Kaepernick
05-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Think I pay around .80 cents per kcup typically, including shipping.

htismaqe
05-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Half the cost of Starbucks or other shop.

I drink one cup a morning and was throwing out the leftovers from the 10 cup coffee maker. Probaby still more expensive than 10 cups in the coffee maker, but bothered me to be throwing out most of the pot each morning.

Keurig works great for me. But I love really weak coffee, so I get a 16 ounce cup out of each K-cup.

Great post. Waste not, want not.

htismaqe
05-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Think I pay around .80 cents per kcup typically, including shipping.

You can get Green Mountain for around .50.

Kaepernick
05-18-2014, 11:57 AM

Yes it is. the worst out there. Weird smokey aftertaste. I would go anywhere else. Tully's. Seattle's Best. Java City. Pete's. Anywhere.

Only thing I like at Starbucks is the Americano, which is REALLY good but costs more than the standard house coffees.

I am still grateful for Starbucks single-handedly filling the coffee house market. Back in the day, the only choice we had was Winchell's Donuts, and they didn't exactly stay open until 8 pm.

Kaepernick
05-18-2014, 12:00 PM
You can get Green Mountain for around .50.

I've gotten great deals from time to time. I check regularly for sales and stock up. They say these have a shelf life but I don't notice a difference in taste between my older coffees and fresher ones, so that works for me. Stocking up on sale items.

I like Green Mountain, Gloria Jeans, Timothy's, Van Houte, 8 O-clock, Barrie House. Tullys makes a great Kona.

Good thing there is something for everyone cause I like the weak sauce. Most people I know like the strong bold stuff.

GloucesterChief
05-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Yes it is. the worst out there. Weird smokey aftertaste. I would go anywhere else. Tully's. Seattle's Best. Java City. Pete's. Anywhere.

Only thing I like at Starbucks is the Americano, which is REALLY good but costs more than the standard house coffees.

I am still grateful for Starbucks single-handedly filling the coffee house market. Back in the day, the only choice we had was Winchell's Donuts, and they didn't exactly stay open until 8 pm.

I like a smokey aftertaste to my coffee. I love some french roast. There is a difference between smokey and burnt though. Starbucks tastes burnt.

Kaepernick
05-18-2014, 01:39 PM
I like a smokey aftertaste to my coffee. I love some french roast. There is a difference between smokey and burnt though. Starbucks tastes burnt.

Great description. It is a BURNT aftertaste and it is horrid to me.

Still grateful to Starbucks for getting the ball rolling down the hill for coffee shops. Taking a date to Winchells for coffee just didn't cut it. I love modern coffee shops. They have a good vibe. You can sit and read or surf the web or people watch. Not like sitting in the plastic chairs of a donut shop, which is all we had in the 70s-80s.

I remember a few mom and pop shops in the early 80s in San Francisco that were wonderful coffee shops. I think the first year I stepped into a modern chain coffee shop was around 1990/91 in Sacramento. Maybe 1993. Around there. Java City, I think. I was really thrilled we finally had a great option to donut houses.