PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs To win trade, Chiefs must keep Alex Smith or flip him into a QB replacement

Kaepernick
05-17-2014, 04:04 PM
When Smith pretty much picked up in 2013 where he left off midway through 2012 -- before a concussion and KaepMania derailed the train -- the Chiefs won 11 games, and San Fran's conditional pick turned into another second-rounder.

When the smoke cleared on last weekend's draft, the Niners ultimately had flipped Smith into five players: defensive lineman Tank Carradine (Round 2, 2013), linebacker Corey Lemonier (Round 3, 2013), running back Carlos Hyde (Round 2, 2014), linebacker Chris Borland (Round 3, 2014) and wideout Stevie Johnson (trade from Buffalo for a 2015 fourth-rounder).

To recap: An insurance defensive end with upside, an insurance pass rusher, a potential starting tailback, a scrappy middle linebacker with upside and a starting wide receiver.

With the exception of Hyde, the Chiefs could have found a use -- and a good use, too -- for every single one of those players. Which is why you also saw these headlines:

Final results of Alex Smith trade a windfall for 49ers

The Alex Smith Trade Worked Out Perfectly For The 49ers

It doesn't get the juice of RGIII-Rams or the mother of all NFL fleeces, Walker to the Vikings in 1989, the swap that set up the last great Dallas Cowboys dynasty. But the Smith trade helped the second-best team in the loop get deeper and better, all for the price of a backup who, barring something crazy, was rarely going to see the field in the Bay.

Still, no matter how the national pundits snicker, it was a good trade for the Chiefs, short-term. Period. With 23 touchdown passes and a single-season record for rushing yards by a quarterback in his first season in Kansas City, Smith proved -- at least initially -- that he was worth it.

In his last 40 regular-season starts, Smith is 30-9-1. Over his last two full seasons ('11 and '13), he's averaged a 12.5 rating in approximate value, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com -- the same value as Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger and Baltimore's Joe Flacco and better than Chicago's Jay Cutler (10.0) and Carson Palmer (10.5 with the Raiders and Cardinals) over that same stretch.

Elite? No. But hardly middling, either.

Long-term, it could be the right trade for the Chiefs, too -- if, if, IF they can get another two or three solid seasons out of No. 11, whose contract is due to expire after this season. Or, if they would somehow flip Smith into something that brings them another good or franchise-level talent under center.

Value and volume are great, and hats off to Niners general manager Trent Baalke. But this is the NFL, and in today's NFL, if we learned anything from The Scott Pioli Era, it's that while volume -- the "Right 53" -- is great, quarterback and coach are Priorities 1 and 2.

Getting one wrong is bad.

Whiffing on both is 2-14.

We saw that up close. No one wants to see it again.

Given a choice, you'd rather have the Chiefs led by Smith and Andy Reid with a few question marks at other positions than a talented, deep roster dependent on Matt Cassel and Romeo Crennel to steer them out of trouble.

Saw that up close, too. No, thanks.

More often than not, you go as your quarterback and coach go. A strong, elite defense with an elite secondary comes right after that. The Seahawks have it right. The Niners have it right. The Broncos and Pats have it right, or close enough.

The spin in some media circles is that the Niners swapped a backup quarterback for five solid young players, and oh, you silly Chieftains. But that misses some of the context, too. They didn't have to live through The Great Dumpster Fire of 2012. New Chiefs general manager John Dorsey needed the nuclear option. He needed to blow up the quarterbacking spot and start over, for his sake, and ours.

Whatever history's ****les with Reid, and they're deserved, he remains among the top 10 or top 12 NFL whistle-blowers still kicking.

The man also knows signal-callers. Reid knows he's got a good one. Maybe not a great one, but a good one. One he would be wise to keep, at least through 2016, considering what he gave up in exchange.

Because the headlines aren't going away. Yahoo Eurosport UK won't stop telling people across the world that:

49ers got a fairly incredible haul in the Alex Smith trade

And Dorsey will get fairly incredible hell if he can't find a way to make the Chiefs' side of the swap stand up.

Article link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/kansas-city/story/if-chiefs-can-t-keep-alex-smith-or-flip-him-into-a-qb-replacement-49ers-won-the-trade-051414

Kaepernick
05-17-2014, 04:05 PM
I searched and didn't see this.

If it is already posted, please lock. But if so, then somebody needs to teach me how to use the Chiefs search, because I put in some unique phrases and I didn't see this thing posted yet. Kind of surprised me, but...

Bewbies
05-17-2014, 04:06 PM
tl;dr Aaron Murray.

Kaepernick
05-17-2014, 04:07 PM
I always said I would rather have Alex Smith than Jay Cutler or Tony Romo.

TribalElder
05-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Bed Shitting

Known habit

Hammock Parties
05-17-2014, 04:09 PM
so we could keep our QB or we could get rid of him

wow amazing insight

anyone heard a rumor we would keep his lower half and second his top half to siberia?

Kaepernick
05-17-2014, 04:11 PM
It bears repeating from the article...

"If we learned anything from The Scott Pioli Era, it's that while volume -- the "Right 53" -- is great, quarterback and coach are Priorities 1 and 2.

"Getting one wrong is bad.

"Whiffing on both is 2-14."

I completely agree. The first priority of a GM is to get a top head coach and together their top priority is to get a top-flight quarterback. That doesn't 'mean it is that first thing they have to do. There is nothing wrong with building up the trenches for that QB before they draft him. But that is going to be their top priority. Drafting and developing that top tier QB.

Most Chiefs fans seem to understand that.

milkman
05-17-2014, 04:12 PM
If Colin Kaepernick continues to remain static, and Alex Smith continues to progress as he did over the course of the last half of the season, then it was a bad trade for the 9ers.

The rest is all talking material that amounts to useless bull.

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 04:13 PM
If Colin Kaepernick continues to remain static, and Alex Smith continues to progress as he did over the course of the last half of the season, then it was a bad trade for the 9ers.

The rest is all talking material that amounts to useless bull.

Yep.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-17-2014, 04:28 PM
Windfall? They spinned every one of those jobber backups into super studs in waiting ROFL The unbiased report I have read on those guys isn't as peachy.

Mr. Laz
05-17-2014, 04:29 PM
I searched and didn't see this.

If it is already posted, please lock. But if so, then somebody needs to teach me how to use the Chiefs search, because I put in some unique phrases and I didn't see this thing posted yet. Kind of surprised me, but...

Or how about you post this in a 49ers board

Or how about you DIAF

notorious
05-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Windfall? They spinned every one of those jobber backups into super studs in waiting ROFL The unbiased report I have read on those guys isn't as peachy.

11-4 QB or the sub-par picks the 9ers chose......

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Kapersnack will be done in 2 more years while Alex Smiff and the Chiefs will live long.

notorious
05-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Besides, Harbaugh's style of coaching will burn the team out during this year or next.

RealSNR
05-17-2014, 04:34 PM
I remember my first beer

Pasta Little Brioni
05-17-2014, 04:38 PM
11-4 QB or the sub-par picks the 9ers chose......

A guy that helped take a team from 2 to 11 wins, double the amount of points scored over the year before, and put up 400 plus total yards and 4 TDS in a playoff game or a gimp, 4th string rush backer, run stop limited LB, 3rd string RB, and a piece of shit malcontent WR. Jeez tough choice.

In58men
05-17-2014, 04:46 PM
A guy that helped take a team from 2 to 11 wins, double the amount of points scored over the year before, and put up 400 plus total yards and 4 TDS in a playoff game or a gimp, 4th string rush backer, run stop limited LB, 3rd string RB, and a piece of shit malcontent WR. Jeez tough choice.

Thrown 4 TDs blah blah blah, wasn't good enough to win the game now was it. Smith didn't do shit the second half. I'd flip his sorry ass for a 4th round pick.

ChiefsHawk
05-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Thrown 4 TDs blah blah blah, wasn't good enough to win the game now was it. Smith didn't do shit the second half. I'd flip his sorry ass for a 4th round pick.

Why are you on this board? Seriously....why?

BigMeatballDave
05-17-2014, 04:51 PM

Fuck off, troll.

In58men
05-17-2014, 04:53 PM

Not everyone is a Alex Smith fan.

ChiefsHawk
05-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Not everyone is a Alex Smith fan.

Thats fine....but you're not even a Chiefs fan sooooo

In58men
05-17-2014, 04:54 PM
**** off, troll.

Stats don't tell the whole story, how many 3 and outs did we have in the second half? Luck made Alex Smith look like a chump that game.

In58men
05-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Thats fine....but you're not even a Chiefs fan sooooo

You don't know anything about me lol

nychief
05-17-2014, 04:59 PM
A known for a bunch of unknowns. How is this trade at all different than not has always been?

Also, we'll resign smith.

ChiefsHawk
05-17-2014, 05:00 PM

I know you bring nothing to these boards...I can tell from your posts you're either a troll a very whiny little bitch....either way a tool is a tool

nychief
05-17-2014, 05:00 PM

You're a fucking moron.

In58men
05-17-2014, 05:03 PM
I know you bring nothing to these boards...I can tell from your posts you're either a troll a very whiny little bitch....either way a tool is a tool

Just because somebody is a member doesn't mean you have to bring anything to the boards lol, there's no law stating you must be positive with every post. Block me it's that simple. I'm just saying that we should flip him for a 4th round pick. If 49ers don't want him and KC doesn't want him, what makes you think we'd get any than a 4th from a different team?

In58men
05-17-2014, 05:04 PM
You're a ****ing moron.

Chief fans love mediocrity.

Valiant
05-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Unless he signs a cap friendly 2-3 year extension, he can walk after the season. No way does he deserve top 10 pay. Sure if he could replicate the playoff game for a whole season he deserves it, but I do not believe our system would allow it. Nor do we have the WRs for it.

Mr. Laz
05-17-2014, 05:09 PM

we all know we want you to fuck off

Very few things bring CP together as unanimously as annoying fucks like yourself. Congrats.

Mr. Laz
05-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Unless he signs a cap friendly 2-3 year extension, he can walk after the season. No way does he deserve top 10 pay. Sure if he could replicate the playoff game for a whole season he deserves it, but I do not believe our system would allow it. Nor do we have the WRs for it.
:hmmm:

Pasta Little Brioni
05-17-2014, 05:11 PM

Damn dude I'd trade you for a Joey/hootie combo of psycho douche

BigMeatballDave
05-17-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm just saying that we should flip him for a 4th round pick. If 49ers don't want him and KC doesn't want him, what makes you think we'd get any than a 4th from a different team?

There is a whole lot of stupid there.

In58men
05-17-2014, 05:13 PM

What? Go fuck yourself, he deserves 5 years $19 mil. He threw 4 TDs and still lost. Pay the man.

Mr. Laz
Damn dude I'd trade you for a Joey/hootie combo of psycho douche

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Valiant
:hmmm:

for a whole season.

Anyong Bluth
Let me know when the 5 players some seem so impressed by them getting make a significant contribution to them winning. The impressive move was getting Kap in a later round which afforded them the luxury of moving Smith for 2 2nd round picks- but that doesn't mean they've cashed in on the extra picks with proven players at least at this point.

In58men
There is a whole lot of stupid there.

Thinking Alex Smith is capable of winning a Super Bowl is fucking stupid.

Mr. Laz
05-17-2014, 05:15 PM
for a whole season.

My point or question was more about how you said he can stay cheap or walk because he won't produce the whole season. Then you go on to blame the system and the wrs.

The problem isn't Smith but he should walk? :hmmm:

Pasta Little Brioni
05-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Inmen show us on the doll where the bad sorter touched you

RINGLEADER
05-17-2014, 05:44 PM
If we get last six games of Alex Smith (including the crap performance against Indy at Arrowhead) I'd be thrilled to have him as our QB:

26 of 38 for 297 yards and 3 TDs and 1 INT
26 of 42 for 293 yards and 2 TDs and 1 INT
14 of 20 for 137 yards and 2 TDs and 0 INT
17 of 20 for 287 yards and 5 TDs and 0 INT
16 of 28 for 153 yards and 0 TDs and 1 INT
30 of 46 for 378 yards and 4 TDs and 0 INT

129 of 194 (66.5%) for 1545 yards and 16 TDs and 3 INT (111.73 Passer Rating)

38 - 28 - 45 - 56 - 8 - 44 = 219 / 36.5ppg

Valiant
05-17-2014, 05:46 PM
My point or question was more about how you said he can stay cheap or walk because he won't produce the whole season. Then you go on to blame the system and the wrs.

The problem isn't Smith but he should walk? :hmmm:

If he does not give the Chiefs a friendly deal, I would not overpay for him.

I do not believe he has it in him to produce at that playoff level for a whole season. Would shatter his previous career highs. He has never shown that ability. He is a really good game manager that can have exceptional games every once in a while

Our WRs and system would not allow it, they have not shown the consistency for it. With the schedule coming up, I see another low 3k passing, low 20 tds but a lot more ints as he will try to make up for our defense. And that would be great for him. But that is league average now, if your QB can consistently make that in today's passing league you need to go another route.

That is the reason why the 49ers tried upgrading.

What is worse, for him, Bowe is too inconsistent to give him a legit threat. We do not have threat at TE. And the Chiefs did not try and get him one. Which is puzzling, they act like they are throwing in all their eggs in one basket to win now. Getting him a WR with separation skills would have greatly helped him this year. And probably would have justified spending more on him.

Which after all that, I would be for keeping him if he would sign a team friendly short term deal. But no player wants to do that.

It is the all the above with the problems with our passing offensive that will stop this team from ever competing consistently. If he were around in the early 90s he would have a legend though, that is how far this game has moved on.

just my opinion.

In58men
05-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Inmen show us on the doll where the bad sorter touched you

My user name represents the passing of DT please don't disrespect it and I won't disrespect your amazing QB.

J Diddy
05-17-2014, 06:04 PM
My user name represents the passing of DT please don't disrespect it and I won't disrespect your amazing QB.

Lol you could have put that in the sig.

Now you'll be known forever to me as InMen58times

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Thinking Alex Smith is capable of winning a Super Bowl is fucking stupid.

That wasn't really the point.

The 49ers essentially traded a starting QB for a bunch of bench warmers...

In58men
05-17-2014, 06:22 PM

Why are they being labeled as benchwarmers already?

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Why are they being labeled as benchwarmers already?

The centerpiece was Tank Carradine. Guys named Tank never amount to shit in the NFL. He was their 2nd round pick.

The best player they drafted, Carlos Hyde, won't even make the 2-deep because of the guys ahead of him.

Mr. Laz
05-17-2014, 06:27 PM
I won't disrespect your amazing QB.

not yours?

Ragged Robin
05-17-2014, 06:32 PM
If we get last six games of Alex Smith (including the crap performance against Indy at Arrowhead) I'd be thrilled to have him as our QB:

26 of 38 for 297 yards and 3 TDs and 1 INT
26 of 42 for 293 yards and 2 TDs and 1 INT
14 of 20 for 137 yards and 2 TDs and 0 INT
17 of 20 for 287 yards and 5 TDs and 0 INT
16 of 28 for 153 yards and 0 TDs and 1 INT
30 of 46 for 378 yards and 4 TDs and 0 INT

129 of 194 (66.5%) for 1545 yards and 16 TDs and 3 INT (111.73 Passer Rating)

38 - 28 - 45 - 56 - 8 - 44 = 219 / 36.5ppg

:Pimp:

In58men
05-17-2014, 06:42 PM
not yours?

Sorry, but I can't root for the guy. Never liked him in college, never liked him when he played for SF and I don't like him being a Chief. Just something about the guy I can't stand.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-17-2014, 06:50 PM

Too late InMen

ThaVirus
05-17-2014, 06:51 PM
The centerpiece was Tank Carradine. Guys named Tank never amount to shit in the NFL. He was their 2nd round pick.

The best player they drafted, Carlos Hyde, won't even make the 2-deep because of the guys ahead of him.

Lemonier was pretty good from what I saw.

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Lemonier was pretty good from what I saw.

He's a good prospect but unless something happens and Bowman can't play, Lemonier is sitting on the bench too.

In58men
05-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Too late InMen

😃

Pasta Little Brioni
05-17-2014, 06:58 PM
I can't see your response

In58men
05-17-2014, 07:04 PM

It's a smiley face :-)

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 07:05 PM

That's what he said.

jd1020
05-17-2014, 09:05 PM

If you are talking about starting for the Chiefs, then yes. However, Alex was not going to regain his spot as starter for the 49ers. So they traded 1 backup for 5, if you think none of the 5 will make it to a starter.

Kaepernick
05-17-2014, 09:58 PM

I will be sure to revisit your post at year's end if not sooner.

Labelling draft prospects bench warmers before they've even been to TC. Too funny.

htismaqe
05-17-2014, 10:01 PM

Labelling draft prospects bench warmers before they've even been to TC. Too funny.

What do I have to lose? It's a fucking message board.

BigMeatballDave
05-17-2014, 10:06 PM

Right now, these kids aren't even bench warmers.

Training camp fodder.

Coochie liquor
05-18-2014, 05:05 AM

He's obviously here because he has no game, a small penis, and couldn't get laid in prison with a pocketful of pardons. I can tell did hasn't got any in so long that he erupts negativity most of the time. Sure would hate to be that guy. I'll take getting laid and positivity all day. He prob would too but for him it's not an option.

Tribal Warfare
05-18-2014, 05:18 AM

Ala Wilson,Trent,Warner,Brunell, Brady,Matt Hasselbeck ect...

Eleazar
05-18-2014, 06:26 AM
I wonder how people will feel about this trade in another year or two, when the 49ers don't have one of the most talented rosters in the league surrounding Kaepernick anymore, or whenever they start debating on whether they should move on.

Hammock Parties
05-18-2014, 06:29 AM
I wonder how people will feel about this trade in another year or two, when the 49ers don't have one of the most talented rosters in the league surrounding Kaepernick anymore, or whenever they start debating on whether they should move on.

OH YEAH MAN HAHAA

GOOD STUFF IS GONNA HAPPEN TO THE CHIEFS STARTING NOW MAN
AND BAD STUFF IS GONNA HAPPEN TO THE OTHER TEAMS

OHHHHHHHH AHAHAHAHAHAAA

CHIEFS GONA GET THE LAST LAUGH
HERE WE GO

HIChief
05-18-2014, 07:01 AM
The Niners can score all the players in world with this trade, but if they can't contribute to the The team's return to the Playoffs and a Super Bowl appearance, then all your analysis is for not. For the Chiefs, Smith was simply a matter of acquiring the best QB available. No one ever expected him to pan out as well as he did last year. And, he may not do as well this year. But, in the meantime we got our QB of the future it looks like, and a damn good Vet QB to learn under. And, Chiefs Kingdom has it's swag back because we are comptitive--at least as competitive as SF is! So THERE!

milkman
05-18-2014, 07:10 AM
The Niners can score all the players in world with this trade, but if they can't contribute to the The team's return to the Playoffs and a Super Bowl appearance, then all your analysis is for not. For the Chiefs, Smith was simply a matter of acquiring the best QB available. No one ever expected him to pan out as well as he did last year. And, he may not do as well this year. But, in the meantime we got our QB of the future it looks like, and a damn good Vet QB to learn under. And, Chiefs Kingdom has it's swag back because we are comptitive--at least as competitive as SF is! So THERE!

A 5th round pick is naught a QBoTF.

TEX
05-18-2014, 08:06 AM
A 5th round pick is naught a QBoTF.

Exactly.

The odds are overwhelmingly stacked against it.

A Salt Weapon
05-18-2014, 09:33 AM
and couldn't get laid in prison with a pocketful of pardons.

ROFL,
That's hilarious.

Kaepernick
05-18-2014, 11:27 AM
He's a good prospect but unless something happens and Bowman can't play, Lemonier is sitting on the bench too.

Bowman tore his ACL on the goal-line fumble recovery in the Seattle NFC Championship game. He is estimated out until at least week 9, after the 49ers buy week.

Cory Lemonier and Michael Wilhoit both did nicely filling in for Aldon Smith during his 4 week alcohol rehab stint. Obviously, they aren't the sack machines Aldon is. Aldon had 42 sacks in 43 regular season starts.

We are hoping that Aaron Lynch can be the next Aldon Smith, if he turn his life around and finds the drive and motivation to put in the work, on and off the field. Crazy ceiling with Aaron Lynch, but he wasn't obtained from the Alex picks, so way off topic there.

Kaepernick
05-18-2014, 11:31 AM

The article said as much - that Alex was worth the trade so far. All they said is for the trade to be worth it for the Chiefs, Alex needs to give the Chiefs 3 more years playing like last year. or conversely, flipping Alex for your eventual franchise QB.

In58men
05-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Exactly.

The odds are overwhelmingly stacked against it.

I'll wait for Bryce Petty

Sandy Vagina
05-18-2014, 12:45 PM
So far, the trade has worked out well for KC. As for SF and how it has benefited them?

I say, who gives a f**K? Has no real interest or relevance here.

RealSNR
05-18-2014, 12:54 PM
The article said as much - that Alex was worth the trade so far. All they said is for the trade to be worth it for the Chiefs, Alex needs to give the Chiefs 3 more years playing like last year. or conversely, flipping Alex for your eventual franchise QB.

And again, we're sarcastically telling you that your analysis is just the most scintillating shit we've ever read.

J Diddy
05-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Too late InMen

You forgot 58 times

jd1020
05-18-2014, 01:01 PM

If the Chiefs need 3 more years of 3,300 yards, 6.5 ypa, 23 TDs, and a 1 round exit in the playoffs to make the trade worth it, I'm prepared to cut my losses and chuck this trade up into the lesson learned bin. Although, I'm afraid that bin may already be at max capacity.

Dave Lane
05-18-2014, 01:16 PM
I remember my first beer

Weird thing is I think I don't.