PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Lamar Hunt Statue at Toyota Stadium

Archie F. Swin
05-18-2014, 03:56 PM
I went to my first FC Dallas (MLS) match last night. I had forgotten that Lamar Hunt was the original owner of FC Dallas and a big proponent of pro soccer in the states. There's a pretty impressive statue of him at Toyota Stadium (Frisco, TX). Before every home match they pay tribute to Lamar by inviting a special guest to place an FCD scarf around the statue's neck, hoping that LH's swag will give the home team an edge. The team is now owned by Clark Hunt.

ptlyon
05-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Who's the ugly dude in front?

Rasputin
05-18-2014, 04:00 PM
I think the Hunts were more worried about a MLS championship than winning another Super Bowl in 40+ years.

Deberg_1990
05-18-2014, 04:03 PM
I think the Hunts were more worried about a MLS championship than winning another Super Bowl in 40+ years.

Their crown jewel was the 2000 KC Wizards MLS championship.

All 3 fans went wild for Soccer!
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
05-18-2014, 04:06 PM
I think the Hunts were more worried about a MLS championship than winning another Super Bowl in 40+ years.:rolleyes:

That's a load of crap.

Valiant
05-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Their crown jewel was the 2000 KC Wizards MLS championship.

KC went wild!
Posted via Mobile Device

I remember they celebrated. But it was no where near wild nor the level of sporting win or if the Chiefs/Royals ever would win.

Titty Meat
05-18-2014, 04:07 PM
I bet Dallas is a shitty franchise

ChiefsCountry
05-18-2014, 04:08 PM
I had forgotten that Lamar Hunt was the original owner of FC Dallas and a big proponent of pro soccer in the states.

Actually Lamar wasn't the original owner of FC Dallas. Hunt bought the team in 2002 I believe.

SAUTO
05-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Who's the ugly dude in front? Scott Pioli. Where you been?
Posted via Mobile Device

Archie F. Swin
05-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Actually Lamar wasn't the original owner of FC Dallas. Hunt bought the team in 2002 I believe.

Do you realize what you've done? You've exposed yourself as being "in the know" on the subject of MLS Soccer on an NFL message board. :eek:

Deberg_1990
05-18-2014, 04:46 PM
I remember they celebrated. But it was no where near wild nor the level of sporting win or if the Chiefs/Royals ever would win.

I remember all the kids around KC wearing Tony Meola jerseys

Dayze
05-19-2014, 07:11 AM
Matt Cassel has a statue of Scott Pioli on his front lawn.

ptlyon
05-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Scott Pioli. Where you been?
Posted via Mobile Device

There's some things I try to block out

BlackHelicopters
05-19-2014, 07:25 AM
There's some things I try to block out

Use an ice pick

loochy
05-19-2014, 08:35 AM
I bet Dallas is a shitty franchise

They're actually usually pretty good. Their problem is attendance due to where they put the stadium, which is way out in the northern reaches of suburbia. It would take most of the metroplex an hour or more to get there in moderate traffic.

J Diddy
05-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Matt Cassel has a statue of Scott Pioli on his front lawn.

If I had the talent of Matt Cassel and someone handed me such a chunk of change I would have a huge statue of him on the front lawn as well. Even if he wzs an asshole.

Dayze
05-19-2014, 09:05 AM
cassel burns a $100 bill every day to pay homage.

loochy
05-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Go drape a chiefs flag over his shoulders

blaise
05-19-2014, 09:39 AM
There's also a Lamar Hunt middle school in Frisco, TX.

Archie F. Swin
05-19-2014, 10:07 AM
They're actually usually pretty good. Their problem is attendance due to where they put the stadium, which is way out in the northern reaches of suburbia. It would take most of the metroplex an hour or more to get there in moderate traffic.

Why did they build a soccer stadium in the one part of the metroplex with no Mexicans?

blaise
05-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Why did they build a soccer stadium in the one part of the metroplex with no Mexicans?

It's where all the money is. I don't think the location is all of it. I won't go to games after June or so because it's too hot. Even starting at 7:30 or whatever, if you're on the east side of the stadium you could get quite a bit of hot sun.

I think the location is fine. Frisco is the fastest growing city in the US. The Cowboys are putting their headquarters there. There's tons of development and money and soccer is big there. The fanbase is getting bigger I think.

Rain Man
05-19-2014, 11:36 AM
There's also a Lamar Hunt middle school in Frisco, TX.

Has their football team won a league playoff game in the past 20 years?

Archie F. Swin
05-19-2014, 11:38 AM
After the match, my kids said they'd like to do it again. So, they think its worth the 2 1/2hr drive. I definitely will not sit close to the pitch again. The higher the better at that stadium.

loochy
05-19-2014, 12:34 PM
I think the location is fine. Frisco is the fastest growing city in the US. The Cowboys are putting their headquarters there. There's tons of development and money and soccer is big there. The fanbase is getting bigger I think.

Yeah, because you are in Plano.

They've eliminated the possibility of a lot of people attending games simply due to stadium location.

blaise
05-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Yeah, because you are in Plano.

They've eliminated the possibility of a lot of people attending games simply due to stadium location.

I'm actually in Frisco. I just never changed my location.

I don't know that there is a great spot in Dallas. Where would you put it? I wouldn't go downtown for soccer. It'd be a hassle. And the downtown Dallas area itself isn't what I would consider a soccer crowd.

loochy
05-19-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm actually in Frisco. I just never changed my location.

I don't know that there is a great spot in Dallas. Where would you put it? I wouldn't go downtown for soccer. It'd be a hassle. And the downtown Dallas area itself isn't what I would consider a soccer crowd.

I'd look for something irving or las colinas -ish

I know that the games are pretty much a no go for myself just because of the location

ptlyon
05-19-2014, 01:11 PM
You know what the best thing about Texas is?

Leaving.

loochy
05-19-2014, 01:12 PM
You know what the best thing about Texas is?

Leaving.

it's a pretty good place to live

i like it

|Zach|
05-19-2014, 03:00 PM
There is one in Columbus as well at Crew Stadium.

blaise
05-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I'd look for something irving or las colinas -ish

I know that the games are pretty much a no go for myself just because of the location

That's the thing. I wouldn't go if it was down there. They probably just couldn't get a stadium worked out almost anywhere else. Frisco put the money in. Long term it's probably good where it is. There's hundreds of houses going up in Frisco. Little Elm is getting bigger. The area is getting developed all the way up to 380.
People in Dallas are just generally more - if it's cool and they're winning I'll go people. I don't know that it matters that it's in Frisco. Just my opinion.