PDA

View Full Version : Life Walking for graduation?

Chief Roundup
05-20-2014, 07:16 AM
I have completed my Associate of Science in Business. I chose not to walk for graduation. I have been receiving a lot of flack from people about not walking.
I didn't see the need in walking for my Associates degree, because I am going on for my Bachelors.
My thought process is that walking for this graduation would be like walking for the 8th grade graduation.
Would you have walked?

BigRock
05-20-2014, 07:17 AM
I didn't even walk for my Bachelors. I said mail it to me, I'm outta here.

Chief Roundup
05-20-2014, 07:19 AM
I plan on walking for my Bachelors Degree.

Dayze
05-20-2014, 07:20 AM
i didn't want to walk for HS, but it was mandatory.
my last day of school, they excused Seniors to gather in the gym to sign year books etc. I bolted the moment the excused us for it. haven't stepped back in there since.

I thought it was BS they made us walk.

Wildcat2005
05-20-2014, 07:25 AM
I didn't walk for my Bachelor's either

I don't really care too much for that stuff.
Went out to eat with some family to celebrate, but yeah just had them mail it to me.

WhawhaWhat
05-20-2014, 07:28 AM
I finished my Bachelor's from home taking online classes, went back to school for graduation weekend and the parties, still didn't walk at graduation.

blaise
05-20-2014, 07:31 AM
I got an Associates degree from the first college I went to, before I transferred to another school. I didn't go to the graduation. I didn't really consider it a degree.

ChiTown
05-20-2014, 07:34 AM
I didn't walk for mine (Bachelors). My Parents were livid. Still feel really bad about it.

:(

J Diddy
05-20-2014, 07:35 AM
I got an Associates degree from the first college I went to, before I transferred to another school. I didn't go to the graduation. I didn't really consider it a degree.

Same boat. I didn't even apply for graduation and opted to just transfer the credits. Not even sure if I met the requirements to be honest but the end goal and a celebration of the half way point didn't seem to make sense to me.

patteeu
05-20-2014, 07:45 AM
Why do they call it "walking" anyway? It sounds pretentious, antiquated or English, I'm not sure which. And think about how it makes wheelchair-bound students feel.

On topic, I think it's OK to do whatever you want. It's your graduation. Unless your parents or significant other has been helping you with money or sacrifice and then it's theirs too and maybe you should do it for them if they're the ones giving you flack.

blaise
05-20-2014, 07:50 AM
I think some Associates degrees I would go on stage. There were some culinary degrees and ag or landscaping type degrees at my first college that were two year degrees.

loochy
05-20-2014, 08:00 AM
I have completed my Associate of Science in Business. I chose not to walk for graduation. I have been receiving a lot of flack from people about not walking.
I didn't see the need in walking for my Associates degree, because I am going on for my Bachelors.
My thought process is that walking for this graduation would be like walking for the 8th grade graduation.
Would you have walked?

I concur with your course of action

kcchiefsus
05-20-2014, 08:03 AM
I agree. Associates isn't really much more than a high school diploma IMO, it's not exactly a huge accomplishment. I'm not trying to be a dick at all, I know you're going on to get your bachelors. I was proud to walk for my bachelors degree but i couldn't have cared less about walking for my associates.

Chief Roundup
05-20-2014, 08:07 AM
I didn't walk for mine (Bachelors). My Parents were livid. Still feel really bad about it.

:(

Why do they call it "walking" anyway? It sounds pretentious, antiquated or English, I'm not sure which. And think about how it makes wheelchair-bound students feel.

On topic, I think it's OK to do whatever you want. It's your graduation. Unless your parents or significant other has been helping you with money or sacrifice and then it's theirs too and maybe you should do it for them if they're the ones giving you flack.

Yeah it is my parents or the rest of my family giving me the worst flack. My parents are old. They haven't helped me with my college education. They are afraid that they may not get to see me graduate with my Bachelors. They are in their 70's now. I am the first ever in my family to receive any college education. They never said how much it meant to them until it was too late for me to change my plans. They just assumed I would go through the ceremony.

Walking is part of the ceremony. Like walking the red carpet for actors. Yes it comes from old english where most of our literary meanings come from.

Hydrae
05-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Since you are going on to a bachelors, I would agree with you not walking. Otherwise I think you should. It is not just about you but a public affirmation of the work that you completed, the goal that you have accomplished, and also a chance for loved ones who have provided various levels of support along the way (not just financial but encouragement, understanding when you miss events due to school, etc.).

Chief Roundup
05-20-2014, 08:11 AM
Since you are going on to a bachelors, I would agree with you not walking. Otherwise I think you should. It is not just about you but a public affirmation of the work that you completed, the goal that you have accomplished, and also a chance for loved ones who have provided various levels of support along the way (not just financial but encouragement, understanding when you miss events due to school, etc.).

Good point, they all have had to tolerate a schedule that has been horrible at times. I have missed or been late to family gatherings to get my school stuff done.

LoneWolf
05-20-2014, 08:15 AM
I walked for my Bachelors because my parents forced me to. They said they paid for the education and they wanted to see me graduate.

I walked for my masters because I was damn proud of the work I put in to get my Masters degree.

I begin working on my Phd in Business Management in September and you can be sure that when I'm done with that I will walk.

htismaqe
05-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Great post.

Marco Polo
05-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Don't walk for your associates. Walk for your bachelors and masters.

Chief Roundup
05-20-2014, 08:22 AM
I walked for my Bachelors because my parents forced me to. They said they paid for the education and they wanted to see me graduate.

I walked for my masters because I was damn proud of the work I put in to get my Masters degree.

I begin working on my Phd in Business Management in September and you can be sure that when I'm done with that I will walk.

I am working towards a major in management and a minor in accounting or finance.

patteeu
05-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Yeah it is my parents or the rest of my family giving me the worst flack. My parents are old. They haven't helped me with my college education. They are afraid that they may not get to see me graduate with my Bachelors. They are in their 70's now. I am the first ever in my family to receive any college education. They never said how much it meant to them until it was too late for me to change my plans. They just assumed I would go through the ceremony.

Walking is part of the ceremony. Like walking the red carpet for actors. Yes it comes from old english where most of our literary meanings come from.

That's too bad that they didn't speak up sooner. I can understand why it's such a big moment for them. Hopefully, they'll be there to see you graduate with your Bachelor's degree. I'd tell them that you just didn't realize how much it meant to them or you would have done it.

mr. tegu
05-20-2014, 08:24 AM
I didn't walk for any of my three degrees. But I don't think there is anything wrong with walking for an associates degree.

LoneWolf
05-20-2014, 08:26 AM
I am working towards a major in management and a minor in accounting or finance.

If you plan on majoring in management, I would suggest a monor in accounting. I look at reports every day that if I didn't have a good knowledge of accounting they wouldn't make much sense. Of course I work in the manufacturing industry, the minor in finance might be more applicable in other industries.

Deberg_1990
05-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Would you have walked?

I think you should walk. Be proud of your accomplishments. You put in the hard work, you deserve to celebrate a little.

I do however think we are starting to go overboard on celebrations nowadays. We have pre-k graduations, kindergarten, 6th grade, 8th grade graduations , etc......is this really necessary?

patteeu
05-20-2014, 08:31 AM
I think you should walk. Be proud of your accomplishments. You put in the hard work, you deserve to celebrate a little.

I do however think we are starting to go overboard on celebrations nowadays. We have pre-k graduations, kindergarten, 6th grade, 8th grade graduations , etc......is this really necessary?

I'm about to have my 75,000 post graduation. My parents insisted on my participation.

TEX
05-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Would you have walked?

I felt the same way when I earned my Bachelor's degree and didn't walk. I later came to believe that something was missing because there were no pics etc to document the accomplishment for OTHER'S in my life. So, when I got my Masters, I walked, more for my family members than myself.

I think you should walk - Just my opinion...

Ragged Robin
05-20-2014, 08:36 AM

This.

Buehler445
05-20-2014, 08:45 AM
I plan on walking for my Bachelors Degree.

I wouldn't have done it for my bachelors or masters ifmy mom wouldn't have wanted me to or drove out to see it. To me it is a waste of time. It means nothing. There is no diploma in there. It's just a show off deal.

However, If someone is coming to see it, you should.

I agree with you that if you have loved ones that it is special to, it can mean something. The rest of it is crap. Fact is I know several people who have walked and ended up failing a class and are back the next semester. They don't even have finals graded at commencement.

Screw that. I celebrated with people I cared about when I finished my last final and had reasonable enough assurance that I completed my degree program. Commencement was a waste of time and money.

DaFace
05-20-2014, 08:46 AM
I walked for both my bachelor's and master's degrees. I wouldn't have done it for the latter, but family wanted to come to town.

You're not doing it for you - you're doing it for them.

Ebolapox
05-20-2014, 09:12 AM
didn't walk for my associates, walked for my bachelor's, and will walk for my phd. there's no shame in walking for the associates though

Iowanian
05-20-2014, 01:57 PM
I didn't walk and I've never regretted it in any capacity.

The university had already gotten enough money from me for the piece of paper and I felt it was a money suck and waste of cash.

HS graduation was for my parents as much as myself. College was for me and I didn't feel the need to do anything other than drink beer for a couple of days and get to work.

ChiefsCountry
05-20-2014, 02:01 PM

From personal experience I would say major in accounting and finance, and minor in management.

htismaqe
05-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Why would you want to sleep through your graduation?

cosmo20002
05-20-2014, 02:07 PM

I've never even really heard it called that. It does sound douchey. I've just called it "going to the graduation ceremony."
At KU they may have called it that, but there was actually quite a long walk involved. Maybe that's where the term was invented.

-King-
05-20-2014, 02:12 PM
I didn't walk for my Associates just because I don't really think getting an Associates is that big of a deal. I will for my Bachelors and Masters (if I go that far) though.

Side note, I was at my cousins Masters graduation ceremony last week. There were damn near 400 students getting their Masters! It's kind of ridiculous.

AndChiefs
05-20-2014, 02:17 PM
From personal experience I would say major in accounting and finance, and minor in management.

I would say major in engineering with a minor in business. Get an MBA a few years after that and you're in great shape.

El Jefe
05-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Would you have walked?

I didn't even walk for my Bachelors that I just finished two weeks ago. Graduation was this past Saturday and I didn't walk. I was pretty much done at that point. I double majored in Psych and Business Admin.

Chief Roundup
05-20-2014, 02:27 PM

I figure I will know better by the end of my 2cd semester. There are a lot of core classes that are required for any of the choices that cross over. I figure by then I will have identified one as more of a strength and one as more of a weakness and go from there.

ChiefsCountry
05-20-2014, 02:28 PM
I would say major in engineering with a minor in business. Get an MBA a few years after that and you're in great shape.

That's probably true overall. Just saying he is looking into finance/accounting I would get that as my major and minor in management. Then get your MBA = gold.

AndChiefs
05-20-2014, 02:30 PM
That's probably true overall. Just saying he is looking into finance/accounting I would get that as my major and minor in management. Then get your MBA = gold.

Also a good way to go.

ChiefsCountry
05-20-2014, 02:34 PM
I figure I will know better by the end of my 2cd semester. There are a lot of core classes that are required for any of the choices that cross over. I figure by then I will have identified one as more of a strength and one as more of a weakness and go from there.

I went with the management major and marketing minor route. If doing over I would have went marketing major with management minor. With finance and accounting it would look stronger on a resume with that as your major. Management degree for all purposes is a glorified psychology degree. I wish I was stronger in math because I would have double majored in finance/marketing with a minor in management. Wish I would have took the advice of the local car dealer in town, he told me when going to college take as many finance and accounting classes as possible. His reasoning was every business needs a bookkeeper, every town has a bank, and cpa's are always needed.

Chief Roundup
05-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Accounting and finance are a couple of the top degrees as far as need in the future. I love numbers, but not necessarily all the in depth engineering level math and the engineering department is crap IMO. However I was amazed at the awards the business side has earned.

jonzie04
05-20-2014, 02:39 PM
If it makes your folks happy/proud why not take the time to do it for them and spend a little time with them.

Chief Roundup
05-20-2014, 02:40 PM
I went with the management major and marketing minor route. If doing over I would have went marketing major with management minor. With finance and accounting it would look stronger on a resume with that as your major. Management degree for all purposes is a glorified psychology degree. I wish I was stronger in math because I would have double majored in finance/marketing with a minor in management. Wish I would have took the advice of the local car dealer in town, he told me when going to college take as many finance and accounting classes as possible. His reasoning was every business needs a bookkeeper, every town has a bank, and cpa's are always needed.

Yep, job security while being able to pick where you would like to live after you have gained some experience.

Valiant
05-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Would you have walked?

You did the smart thing.

I do not know anyone who went to community and planned on going further that walked. I did not walk for mine. I only walked for my bachelors for my mother and grandmother.

DanT
05-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Congratulations, Chief Roundup on completing the Associates of Science degree! That's a meaningful accomplishment and indicates you're a good bet for achieving the goals you set for yourself.

As I get older, I tend to favor "walking" more. I walked for my BA (in psychology) and my PhD (in mathematical statistics) but not for my MS (also in statistics). I don't really know why I didn't walk for my MS. I was definitely proud of getting that degree and felt that it gave me much more job security than my BA. I suppose I just didn't feel like sitting around at a ceremony for a few hours. By the time I knocked off the PhD, I was very happy to sit around in a ceremony for a couple of hours. I was awarded the degree in July and the ceremony wasn't until the following May, but I still attended it and got to see my major professor and a lot of friends and family.

Don't underestimate the associate's degree. Lots of folks start college and for whatever reason aren't able to complete their degree programs. You should be proud that you were able to meet the requirements set out by the program. I can understand why your family would want to see you attend. It may not be too late, either. One thing about academics, deadlines are not always fatal. ;) If you felt like attending, there may be a way for you to do so.

Finishing the associates degree puts you in the top half of the country (age 25 years or older) as far as educational attainment, according to Census data:
http://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/education/data/cps/2013/tables.html

Chief Roundup
05-20-2014, 02:49 PM
If it makes your folks happy/proud why not take the time to do it for them and spend a little time with them.

You have to file paperwork that you intend to walk as part of the ceremony a couple of months ago. My parents didn't say anything until last week when they seen the announcement in the local paper. I would have been happy to have done it for them. I see my parents at least twice a week if only for an hour, yes I have read a book or done other school work while at their house, to visit. Wednesday is generally several hours.

confused
05-20-2014, 02:49 PM
I got my MBA from Harvard Business School and walked. Didn't walk for my Bachelor's from BYU.

Aries Walker
05-20-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm with the OP. I didn't walk for my AA, but I did for my Bachelor's; at the time, I thought that would be the farthest I'd get, so I wanted the pomp and circumstance.

I plan to f**king strut for my Master's Degree. It will be epic.

Chief Roundup
05-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Congratulations, Chief Roundup on completing the Associates of Science degree! That's a meaningful accomplishment and indicates you're a good bet for achieving the goals you set for yourself.

As I get older, I tend to favor "walking" more. I walked for my BA (in psychology) and my PhD (in mathematical statistics) but not for my MS (also in statistics). I don't really know why I didn't walk for my MS. I was definitely proud of getting that degree and felt that it gave me much more job security than my BA. I suppose I just didn't feel like sitting around at a ceremony for a few hours. By the time I knocked off the PhD, I was very happy to sit around in a ceremony for a couple of hours. I was awarded the degree in July and the ceremony wasn't until the following May, but I still attended it and got to see my major professor and a lot of friends and family.

Don't underestimate the associate's degree. Lots of folks start college and for whatever reason aren't able to complete their degree programs. You should be proud that you were able to meet the requirements set out by the program. I can understand why your family would want to see you attend. It may not be too late, either. One thing about academics, deadlines are not always fatal. ;) If you felt like attending, there may be a way for you to do so.

Finishing the associates degree puts you in the top half of the country (age 25 years or older) as far as educational attainment, according to Census data:
http://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/education/data/cps/2013/tables.html

I tried to see if I could somehow manage to be able to get in the ceremony and was declined. I even wrote a letter to the Chancellor explaining my parents age and the fact that I will be the first ever on either side of my family to attain an academic level above a HS Diploma. My request was denied.

mrroandrro
05-20-2014, 03:37 PM
I agree. Associates isn't really much more than a high school diploma IMO, it's not exactly a huge accomplishment. I'm not trying to be a dick at all, I know you're going on to get your bachelors. I was proud to walk for my bachelors degree but i couldn't have cared less about walking for my associates.

I got my Bachelors and worked in the field of Marketing at Horseshoe Casino. I was laid off due to the failing economy and all marketing being done on the corporate level. I decided I wouldn't let that happen again and went back to school. Got an Associate's of Science in Nursing. I assure you it was 10x harder than getting my Bachelors and I make about 3x what I did before. Not all Associates Degrees are equal.

lewdog
05-20-2014, 03:49 PM
I didn't walk for my Bachelor's but I did for my Masters even though I wanted to skip that too.

kcxiv
05-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Would you have walked?

my sister got her Bachelors last year and didnt walk. she says she was to old for that shit.lol She was 33.

Saulbadguy
05-20-2014, 04:14 PM
I dropped out of high school, so I pretty much had to walk for my college graduation.

DaveNull
05-20-2014, 04:34 PM
I walked for both undergrad and graduate school. Not for me...for the family who wants to see you do it.

If the family looks at the associates as a stepping stone, then it's no big deal.

NewChief
05-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Would you have walked?

I didn't walk for undergraduate or graduate school. I hated attending other people's graduations, so I figured people would hate to attend mine. If I were to go back and get my phD or something now, I'd probably walk. I was in a different place in my life back then.

I don't really remember my parents putting any pressure on me to see me walk, which is kind of weird.. because I was the only one of their children who graduated college.

Shit. Maybe my parents hated me.

HonestChieffan
05-20-2014, 05:21 PM
My folks got to see both of my brothers and I graduate. Mom passed away last year, dad 5 years ago. They always said they were very proud they got to see us all graduate from Illinois. We all went to Iowa State when my middle brother got his doctorate. My son grouted from UMKC Law and we attended that as well as his graduation at MU. Going to Jeff City when they did the Bar was a great time.

Sometimes we pass over things like this but it may mean a lot to parents and grandparents.

BWillie
05-20-2014, 05:28 PM

I was the same way. It was like 8 am on a Saturday. Class of 15,000 ppl so would be difficult to locate ppl you know even. 8 am is my sleepy time. F that. Boy were my parents pissed

Rain Man
05-20-2014, 05:53 PM
For my master's degree there were two ceremonies. I walked in my 100-person departmental ceremony, and skipped the 10,000-person campuswide ceremony. I'm not sure everyone walked in that one, though. It may have just been a "stand up if you're getting this degree" type of deal, but I didn't want to take any chances.

I think it's nice to walk in a graduation ceremony in general. It's an accomplishment and a gateway to a new phase of life.

Chieftain58
05-20-2014, 06:33 PM
I didn't walk either..Mine was last Saturday, Got my Associate of General Science degree and I am done... I'm old and already have a great career
\

JoeyChuckles
05-20-2014, 06:59 PM
I didn't walk for my AA in Music but did for a BA in Geography. I remember the ceremony very well and it is something that I found both beneficial and motivating.

Aries Walker
05-20-2014, 07:00 PM
I recorded mine - not from the stands, but I held my little video camera up by my head as I walked. People chuckled.

Chief Pote
05-20-2014, 07:41 PM

Try not to be a DICK, dumbass.

ghak99
05-20-2014, 11:20 PM
I walked for both of them and hated every minute of it. It was a pretty big deal to my family so the few hours of suffering and being able to show the pics to those who were too old to make it was probably worth it.

ThaVirus
05-20-2014, 11:39 PM
I didn't walk for my Associate's or Bachelor's. There was never a doubt in my mind that I'd graduate so the whole "You finished college!" bullshit never felt like a huge accomplishment.

Plus, I figured the harder part was finding a job. I told people to congratulate me when I found one.... I was right.

DanT
05-20-2014, 11:41 PM
I tried to see if I could somehow manage to be able to get in the ceremony and was declined. I even wrote a letter to the Chancellor explaining my parents age and the fact that I will be the first ever on either side of my family to attain an academic level above a HS Diploma. My request was denied.

I imagine the Chancellor has some sort of rationale for denying the request. Still, your family should be proud of you. You obviously have a lot on the ball. Best of luck with your future endeavors and make sure to celebrate each of the important milestones along the way!

teedubya
05-20-2014, 11:58 PM
My sister walked for her PhD from the University of Texas, last weekend.

Rausch
05-21-2014, 01:18 AM
Would you have walked?

Nope.

I'm $4k and 6 hours from my Bachelors.

I'm 37 fucking years old.

Walking at this point would be like playing football with a bunch of 4th graders and doing and end zone dance when I score a TD...

Aries Walker
05-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Just as a side note, I just got my final paper grade: 300/300. That gives me a total of 95.6% for the semester, including perfect scores on all three papers.

Sorry, just had to crow about it a little bit. I'm ecstatic.

BWillie
05-21-2014, 04:01 PM
My sister walked for her PhD from the University of Texas, last weekend.

Pics please. K thanks