PDA

View Full Version : Life Job Interview Grind

Sully
05-20-2014, 08:46 PM
I found out in December that my new job would only be until the end of this school year. I knew it was just a stepping stone and that I'd be back in the market pretty quickly, but it sucks not having a safety net (although, who knows if I'd have worked all the angles as hard if I knew I was safe either way).
That said, I've been working hard to get interviews, with intermittent luck. I think little experience and only being at this place one year is a strike against me. But over the past few weeks I've had several interviews. What I wonder, and would like to know if others experience this, is how I can have one interview where I feel like I shit the bed, and another where I feel like I owned the room.
I interviewed yesterday for a job I'd really like. I answered all the questions well, while also trying to show my personality and that I'd be a great person to work with. The room was completely dead. I interviewed today for another job I'd really like, and it was as if I could do no wrong. I could feel that I was knocking it out of the park.
I know that personalities make for an unpredictable dynamic, and that's part of it. But I have also heard that some HR departments train interviewers to show absolutely no emotion, or give feedback. I don't know the logic behind this. Is it to see how a candidate does under pressure? Has anyone else dealt with this?

Prison Bitch
05-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Try doing it with a wife, children and a mortgage. But yes it sucks. Stick with it and it will work out fine

Sully
05-20-2014, 08:50 PM
I have a wife and a child. No mortgage, but tons of student debt.

NewChief
05-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Assuming you're still in education, I can tell you that it's just a crapshoot who you get on your interview committee. We usually have an administrator who is put in charge of the committee, then a department head, then a classroom teacher. Sometimes an instructional facilitator is added to the mix if we're hiring a discipline that has one in the building (English or Math).
There are so many factors at play here. Some of my experiences sitting on educational hiring committees:

1) Bunch of people on a committee who don't like each other and have their own agendas they're trying to push with the hire. They bicker and fight between interviews.
2) An administrator with zero interest in the process only doing it because they have to. I've had one administrator sit and answer emails while we were interviewing a candidate and another fall asleep during the process.
3) They already know who they're going to hire and are only interviewing people because their HR policies require them to open up the position to outsiders and they are required to interview X amount of people.

Regardless, I would see it as them, not you.

Sully
05-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Assuming you're still in education, I can tell you that it's just a crapshoot who you get on your interview committee. We usually have an administrator who is put in charge of the committee, then a department head, then a classroom teacher. Sometimes an instructional facilitator is added to the mix if we're hiring a discipline that has one in the building (English or Math).

There are so many factors at play here. Some of my experiences sitting on educational hiring committees:

1) Bunch of people on a committee who don't like each other and have their own agendas they're trying to push with the hire. They bicker and fight between interviews.

2) An administrator with zero interest in the process only doing it because they have to. I've had one administrator sit and answer emails while we were interviewing a candidate and another fall asleep during the process.

3) They already know who they're going to hire and are only interviewing people because their HR policies require them to open up the position to outsiders and they are required to interview X amount of people.

I am.
It's pretty frustrating. I mean, with a little variance, it's basically the same questions every time. So I'm amazed how different each interview can feel.
I also wonder if I'm in a catch-22 with coaching. I'm slowly building up a name as a coach, to the point that I have had some coaches pursue me. And I think that has helped me get some interviews. But I also wonder if that pisses off the interviewers, thinking I'm just a meathead looking for a paycheck while I coach (I'm not. I'm passionate about being great at my job. Coaching is just a hobby I love and get paid for).

NewChief
05-20-2014, 09:04 PM
I am.
It's pretty frustrating. I mean, with a little variance, it's basically the same questions every time. So I'm amazed how different each interview can feel.
I also wonder if I'm in a catch-22 with coaching. I'm slowly building up a name as a coach, to the point that I have had some coaches pursue me. And I think that has helped me get some interviews. But I also wonder if that pisses off the interviewers, thinking I'm just a meathead looking for a paycheck while I coach (I'm not. I'm passionate about being great at my job. Coaching is just a hobby I love and get paid for).

Definitely possible you're getting the "he's just a coach" treatment due to resentment from the teachers.

That's a double edged sword, though, because schools that want you there as a coach will get you there as a coach, regardless of what they have to do for a teaching assignment and regardless of the recommendations of the department. We have coaches who are paid a better than full salary to patrol our parking lot in golf carts half the day when we can't hire enough English teachers to drive our numbers down below 27+ per class (hence the resentment from teachers).

If coaching is just something you do for fun and not likely to land you a job in and of itself, it might be worth moving it off as a focus of your resume, so you'll be treated as a serious educator. It's always possible to then expand into coaching once you're at the school.

Buehler445
05-20-2014, 09:10 PM
I hate interviews. Say you stay at a plsce 5 years, each party is basing the next 10,000+ hours of your professional life on an hour conversation.

Wife interviewed at the school like 6 times over the years before they hired her. It is like NewChief said, they know who theyre hiring most of the time.

Sully
05-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Definitely possible you're getting the "he's just a coach" treatment due to resentment from the teachers.

That's a double edged sword, though, because schools that want you there as a coach will get you there as a coach, regardless of what they have to do for a teaching assignment and regardless of the recommendations of the department. We have coaches who are paid a better than full salary to patrol our parking lot in golf carts half the day when we can't hire enough English teachers to drive our numbers down below 27+ per class (hence the resentment from teachers).

If coaching is just something you do for fun and not likely to land you a job in and of itself, it might be worth moving it off as a focus of your resume, so you'll be treated as a serious educator. It's always possible to then expand into coaching once you're at the school.

It's definitely not a focus on my resume, just a couple of lines at the end. But I definitely feel that resentment, even at my present job.

Problem is, oftentimes the coaching is what gets me the interviews in tougher districts. Like I said, catch-22.

Demonpenz
05-20-2014, 09:11 PM
I would make sure your team could stop a simple dive play before you add it onto the resume

Sully
05-20-2014, 09:14 PM
I hate interviews. Say you stay at a plsce 5 years, each party is basing the next 10,000+ hours of your professional life on an hour conversation.

Wife interviewed at the school like 6 times over the years before they hired her. It is like NewChief said, they know who theyre hiring most of the time.

Ha
I think back to my interviews last year at my present district. I walked out feeling like it was the most positive and exciting place I've ever been. A year later and I can honestly say it's been a soul-draining negative suckhole. So you're absolutely right.

NewChief
05-20-2014, 09:15 PM

Yeah. But it's really the wisest course of action from a school's perspective. Given the solid candidate who I've already seen teach repeatedly (as a sub, intern, or whatever) and the person who looks like a badass on paper and even more of a badass in the interview but I've never seen teach at all, I'll take the solid candidate I'm familiar with.

We talk about this all the time: sociopaths and others can make themselves seem awesome in an interview, but that doesn't mean they're going to grind it in the classroom day in and day out. Only being familiar with the person does that, thus we often go with the bird in the hand vs. the badass in the bush.

Sully
05-20-2014, 09:16 PM
I would make sure your team could stop a simple dive play before you add it onto the resume

Couldn't stop shit this year. I was an awful coach. I gave up 4+ yards avg on B-gap ISO on the year. Embarrassing.
But for the time being, I've impressed some pretty big names in coaching circles, and I'm using it.

BigRedChief
05-20-2014, 09:28 PM
I am.
I also wonder if I'm in a catch-22 with coaching. I'm slowly building up a name as a coach, to the point that I have had some coaches pursue me. And I think that has helped me get some interviews. But I also wonder if that pisses off the interviewers, thinking I'm just a meathead looking for a paycheck while I coach (I'm not. I'm passionate about being great at my job. Coaching is just a hobby I love and get paid for).My wife has told me the same thing in interviews.

She was later told that they were told not to show emotion or give postive or negative feedback. Just the facts.

BTW, a 5th grade student threaten to put a bullet in her head today. Yeah, education!

bevischief
05-20-2014, 09:30 PM
Been looking since the end of March. Have a few good interviews lined up over this week and a half.

Demonpenz
05-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Couldn't stop shit this year. I was an awful coach. I gave up 4+ yards avg on B-gap ISO on the year. Embarrassing.
But for the time being, I've impressed some pretty big names in coaching circles, and I'm using it.

LMAO you will fine.

bevischief
05-20-2014, 09:34 PM
My wife has told me the same thing in interviews.

She was later told that they were told not to show emotion or give postive or negative feedback. Just the facts.

BTW, a 5th grade student threaten to put a bullet in her head today. Yeah, education!

My 5th grade teacher went back to the pre-school after what we put her thru.

The Franchise
05-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Had 2 interviews for a job.

1st interview was all women.....came in dead last. They said I was "rough around the edges".
2nd interview was with 3 men. I came in 1st and they said I was impressive.

Didn't get the job.

J Diddy
05-20-2014, 10:21 PM
I had 2 interviews today. The second and first with the same company.

The first guy was a steely prick that I joyfully let have it. Seriously, I don't even think he looked at the resume and droned on about how hard this job is and would be lucky if I could cope with it. I fired back with let me tell you what I've been through in the past year and then tell me if you still think I can't hack. Apparently that was enough that I got a second interview with a much more pleasant person and knocked that out of the park.

Got the job ahead of my move and quickly called my current job and told them I wouldn't be in no more.

BigRedChief
05-20-2014, 10:26 PM

The first guy was a steely prick that I joyfully let have it. Seriously, I don't even think he looked at the resume and droned on about how hard this job is and would be lucky if I could cope with it. I fired back with let me tell you what I've been through in the past year and then tell me if you still think I can't hack. Apparently that was enough that I got a second interview with a much more pleasant person and knocked that out of the park.

Got the job ahead of my move and quickly called my current job and told them I wouldn't be in no more.Fantastic!:thumb:

I also quit my job without notice for the first time in my life a couple of weeks ago.

J Diddy
05-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Fantastic!:thumb:

I also quit my job without notice for the first time in my life a couple of weeks ago.

TBH, I faithfully gave them notice. They used that as a free pass to dump a world of shit on me. Since I gave notice there has been nothing but problems to the point I almost walked out midshift on Sunday and Monday (something I've never even thought of)

BigRedChief
05-20-2014, 10:37 PM
TBH, I faithfully gave them notice. They used that as a free pass to dump a world of shit on me. Since I gave notice there has been nothing but problems to the point I almost walked out midshift on Sunday and Monday (something I've never even thought of)
I had moral issues with the work and could not continue.

J Diddy
05-20-2014, 10:39 PM
I had moral issues with the work and could not continue.Understandable. A job is a job.

Valiant
05-20-2014, 11:12 PM
The most important thing is super bubbly answers and positivity.

Also, who you know.

those two by themselves will get approval from the interviewer's to hire. Then hope background check goes well in hr.

eDave
05-21-2014, 01:26 AM
I'm in a totally different field than you so take that in mind. I was a contract worker for 15 years which basically meant I was out of work once a year. So, I have done the interview slog a lot and have experienced the same thing.

I realized that I was me. They were different. If I bombed it was because the fit was not right. Each organization has a culture and like it or not, that is taken into account. That one is a crap shoot unless you have the inside skinny on that.

I've been a hiring manager before and I knew early on if the person could do the job. I spent the rest of the interview gauging the fit within the team and our stakeholders. At some point, the assholes can go work for Intel with the rest of the assholes. We will be fine. And visa versa.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Where you are right now sucks ass. Keep on keeping on and everything will be cool. As they are supposed to be.

eDave
05-21-2014, 01:29 AM

Got the job ahead of my move and quickly called my current job and told them I wouldn't be in no more.

Right on man. TAKE that job! If they are talking to you, it's yours to lose.

J Diddy
05-21-2014, 01:37 AM
I'm in a totally different field than you so take that in mind. I was a contract worker for 15 years which basically meant I was out of work once a year. So, I have done the interview slog a lot and have experienced the same thing.

I realized that I was me. They were different. If I bombed it was because the fit was not right. Each organization has a culture and like it or not, that is taken into account. That one is a crap shoot unless you have the inside skinny on that.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Where you are right now sucks ass. Keep on keeping on and everything will be cool. As they are supposed to be.

Probably the wisest outlook ever. People tend to have this outlook on companies that an interview/job offer is some sort of notion of acceptance. I've found that is the furthest from the truth. In fact I would open every interview with Domino's saying "Look, I'm going to ask questions, you're not going to want to talk, but here's the deal: This is to see if we can work together"

I had more success with this approach than the old stern looking, emotionless, drone approach.

bevischief
05-21-2014, 04:43 AM
I had moral issues with the work and could not continue.

Understand that one that is one reason I am looking as well.

Simply Red
05-21-2014, 05:56 AM
Understandable. A job is a job.

try to state this in your next interview.

Dave Lane
05-21-2014, 06:39 AM
I found out in December that my new job would only be until the end of this school year. I knew it was just a stepping stone and that I'd be back in the market pretty quickly, but it sucks not having a safety net (although, who knows if I'd have worked all the angles as hard if I knew I was safe either way).
That said, I've been working hard to get interviews, with intermittent luck. I think little experience and only being at this place one year is a strike against me. But over the past few weeks I've had several interviews. What I wonder, and would like to know if others experience this, is how I can have one interview where I feel like I shit the bed, and another where I feel like I owned the room.
I interviewed yesterday for a job I'd really like. I answered all the questions well, while also trying to show my personality and that I'd be a great person to work with. The room was completely dead. I interviewed today for another job I'd really like, and it was as if I could do no wrong. I could feel that I was knocking it out of the park.
I know that personalities make for an unpredictable dynamic, and that's part of it. But I have also heard that some HR departments train interviewers to show absolutely no emotion, or give feedback. I don't know the logic behind this. Is it to see how a candidate does under pressure? Has anyone else dealt with this?

I've interviewed 1000s of people. Leave emotion out of it especially at first. If you feel the interviewer is warming to you you can let more personality show. The biggest problem I had with this kind of interviewee is if he does this here in a interview is he going to be a complete wild man once unleashed / hired.

Depends a lot on what you are interviewing for however.

Sully
05-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Well

I was just offered a job at one of my dream spots. So all the stress has been for something, at least.

ChiTown
05-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Well

I was just offered a job at one of my dream spots. So all the stress has been for something, at least.

Nice! Congrats!:clap:

Buehler445
05-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Well

Congrats man.

Sully
05-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks, guys

Rain Man
05-21-2014, 11:10 AM
We hired a consultant to train us on interviewing once, and her advice was to never show emotion and never approve or disapprove of what people say. Just ask the questions and get the answers.

I have a hard time with that, though, because as others have said, cultural fit is important. A good interview in my opinion is where I can be myself and the interviewee can be him/herself and we figure out if we're compatible with each other's culture. By the time they get to an interview, I'm comfortable that they have technical skills because we test for those, so in an interview I'm trying to figure out philosophy, attitude, and fit.

Sully
05-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Funny thing is, coaching didn't get me this position. So that feels awesome.

Rain Man
05-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Thanks, guys

Congrats. I hope you weren't using performance enhancing drugs during the interview.

Sully
05-21-2014, 11:21 AM
We hired a consultant to train us on interviewing once, and her advice was to never show emotion and never approve or disapprove of what people say. Just ask the questions and get the answers.

I have a hard time with that, though, because as others have said, cultural fit is important. A good interview in my opinion is where I can be myself and the interviewee can be him/herself and we figure out if we're compatible with each other's culture. By the time they get to an interview, I'm comfortable that they have technical skills because we test for those, so in an interview I'm trying to figure out philosophy, attitude, and fit.

And that's what I've heard. What's the reasoning behind interviewing that way?

Demonpenz
05-21-2014, 11:23 AM
to produce results no matter what your emotions are.

Rain Man
05-21-2014, 11:28 AM
And that's what I've heard. What's the reasoning behind interviewing that way?

I think the philosophy is that interviewees are looking to please the interviewer, so if they start getting positive feedback about some line of discussion they'll jump on it even if it's not their true opinion.

Sully
05-21-2014, 11:42 AM
I think the philosophy is that interviewees are looking to please the interviewer, so if they start getting positive feedback about some line of discussion they'll jump on it even if it's not their true opinion.

That makes sense.

eDave
05-21-2014, 12:17 PM

And, there have been lawsuits because interviewees took the interviewers positive emotion to mean they were getting the job. Then they didn't.

J Diddy
05-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Well

That's awesome. Congrats!

Hookers and blow for the whole board on your dime now, eh?

ptlyon
05-21-2014, 12:56 PM
That's awesome. Congrats!

Hookers and blow for the whole board on your dime now, eh?

No that's when he gets promoted to head burger flipper

scorpio
05-21-2014, 02:03 PM

I work in higher ed and this happens extremely often.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-21-2014, 02:06 PM

This just makes me want to fucking kill myself.

Rain Man
05-21-2014, 02:15 PM
And, there have been lawsuits because interviewees took the interviewers positive emotion to mean they were getting the job. Then they didn't.

Really? That seems rather subjective. What are the alleged damages?

Rain Man
05-21-2014, 02:22 PM
I work in higher ed and this happens extremely often.

It happens with some frequency in consulting, too. I'll get asked to put together a proposal that takes 12 hours of my time and then the job goes to some friend of the manager. It's annoying.

My worst example was when another consultant called me up and said, "Can you do me a favor?" This was a consultant that we'd been wanting to partner with, but they don't understand research and always work with a cheap and not very competent competitor of ours. I was open and asked what she needed. She then said, "We're going to hire our normal [cheap and not very competent] research partner for this project, but the client wants us to get three research proposals. Can you give us one?"

I said, "I don't understand. Are you going to hire your cheap and incompetent research partner or is it open competition?"

She said, "We're going to hire them, but we have to get three proposals. Can you give us a proposal just so we can show it to the client?"

"So you can then say that your cheap and incompetent partner is giving you a better proposal than we are?"

"Well, yeah. It's a favor."

"No. I'm not going to waste my time writing a proposal so you can say that your cheap and incompetent firm is better for the client. If the client wants to make an evaluation based on quality, I'd love to give them a proposal."

"We don't need that."

"Then no."

Unbelievable.

ptlyon
05-21-2014, 02:27 PM
I would have inquired her about a Blowjob

Rain Man
05-21-2014, 02:30 PM
I would have inquired her about a Blowjob

That's normally a good policy, but not in this case.

Halfcan
05-21-2014, 02:32 PM
I have never had a problem with interviews.

I answer the first few questions-then try and get the interviewer off track. Slip in a personal question or try and bring up a common hobby. Sometimes it takes a few times to sidetrack them-but they usually end up talking about themselves-their favorite subject. Usually good subjects to trip them up are in their office-pics, plaques, awards, sports stuff ect.

While they are talking about themselves/ hobbies/ kids whatever-slip in a few more questions to keep them talking. And you have taken control of the interview without them realizing it. Act very interested in whatever they say- because people like to feel they are winning you over with their stories.

Usually they will lose track of time then try to rush a few more questions to feel they didn't totally blow off their end of the interview.

When they ask if you have any questions- ask something that is a weakness in the company- and make sure you mention their history/ stock price-if applicable- and make the interviewer have to sell the company to you. Example-" Yes our 4th quarter sales were off, but we should bounce back." You say- "Do you see any layoffs in the future due to the lackluster sales?" ect ect. Once again it turns the tables-they are selling the job to you-not the other way around. Ask them if they personally enjoy working there-sometimes they don't and it shows-so you might not want to take the job.

Dress for success. Have a quality resume with references and job skills that pertain to the job. Think before you speak and don't bring up any of your own shortcomings unless they ask you. Be confident-pretend they are an old friend-not the key to your dream job-they can smell desperation. Thank them for their time, and before you leave- recap what the job was-why you deserve it-and then end on a personal note based on some of their personal stories to show you really cared about them and their life. They want to work with someone that will like them and not be a jerk. In two days send a nice thank you note to the interviewer- thank them for their time with a personal note- "hope your kid starts feeling better-ect" This is a classy move-and if you don't get the exact job you interviewed for-chances are they will remember you for the next one and call you.

When they offer you the job-ask for more money. Better now than have to wait a year for a raise. Even if you only get 5% more than the original offer-that will be compounded over the time you work there with raises, bonuses based on pay ect.

Hope some of these tips help-good luck!!

MahiMike
05-21-2014, 02:40 PM
I have more respect for teachers than military personnel. Soldiers get to use weapons. Teachers are powerless.

Rain Man
05-21-2014, 02:50 PM
I have more respect for teachers than military personnel. Soldiers get to use weapons. Teachers are powerless.

But teachers have the permanent record as a weapon. It's permanent.

eDave
05-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Really? That seems rather subjective. What are the alleged damages?

Don't know. The job I presume. But companies don't need that headache regardless, so emotions be damned.

Kaepernick
05-21-2014, 03:32 PM
It is the worst feeling interviewing when younhave no job. While you have a job, you can be pickier and so you are less stressed in interviews. You can always say, "thanks but sorry, dont need it".

When you are out of work, they can sense you are more desperate. It really sucks. So grateful I havent lost a job in 29 years.

Job security is a delicious luxury during the current economic depression.

Sully
05-21-2014, 03:50 PM
But teachers have the permanent record as a weapon. It's permanent.

You'd think...

It has been made nearly impossible to give Fs anymore. It happens, but the student REALLY has to try to get it.
In the awful district I'm in now, there were two students who were getting an F, and had really earned their F. The principal threw a fit, and the teacher (retiring, so out of fucks to give) cussed her out and told her he wouldn't change the grades.
So the principal had these two kids in her office for the last week of school all day, had gotten tests from another teacher, and left them alone to take them and "pass," so she could change their grades.

BigRedChief
05-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Funny thing is, coaching didn't get me this position. So that feels awesome.Congrats! You are worthy!
http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2008/parties/060108_meyers_400X400.jpg

NewChief
05-21-2014, 07:03 PM
You'd think...

It has been made nearly impossible to give Fs anymore. It happens, but the student REALLY has to try to get it.
In the awful district I'm in now, there were two students who were getting an F, and had really earned their F. The principal threw a fit, and the teacher (retiring, so out of ****s to give) cussed her out and told her he wouldn't change the grades.
So the principal had these two kids in her office for the last week of school all day, had gotten tests from another teacher, and left them alone to take them and "pass," so she could change their grades.

So true. Even when ours finally manage to fail, they can make up the credit on odysseyware, which is a freaking joke.

We are having some horrible horrible issues at our school as a result of the "graduation rates must go up" movement. So much enabling. The safety nets in place for these kids are immense, and the kids have figured out how to work the system.

eDave
05-21-2014, 07:05 PM
It is the worst feeling interviewing when younhave no job. While you have a job, you can be pickier and so you are less stressed in interviews. You can always say, "thanks but sorry, dont need it".

When you are out of work, they can sense you are more desperate. It really sucks. So grateful I havent lost a job in 29 years.

Job security is a delicious luxury during the current economic depression.

Word.

displacedinMN
05-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Can you teach Middle School Earth Science?
Are you willing to move to Minnesota?
I have a job open in my dept.

Upside is the pay.
Downside is you have to work with me.

Sully
05-21-2014, 08:00 PM

Upside is the pay.

I can. And I love Minnesota.
But I'm good now

Buehler445
05-21-2014, 08:22 PM

Upside is the pay.

The downside is fucking MINNESOTA. Christ. Not only is it cold as balls but CASSEL is there.

scorpio
05-21-2014, 10:01 PM
So many good looking women in Minnesota.

Dave Lane
05-21-2014, 10:15 PM
So many good looking women in Minnesota.

If you like women who's girth requires that you capture and prepare 17 seals per day to maintain their mass.

Discuss Thrower
05-22-2014, 01:27 AM
If you like women who's girth requires that you capture and prepare 17 seals per day to maintain their mass.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/q-KS99BU_2A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

displacedinMN
05-22-2014, 08:06 PM
The downside is fucking MINNESOTA. Christ. Not only is it cold as balls but CASSEL is there.

Only -30 below here.

Cassel might start the season, but won't make it past game 2.