PDA

View Full Version : Football Best team defense in 2014

Iconic
05-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Who's your top 5 heading into the 2014 NFL season?

I would guess Hawks, Niners, Pats, Bengals and.... Chiefs! :D

In58men
05-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Hawks
Bengals
49ers
Houston
Chiefs

In that order, don't count out Denver. They beefed up a little.

Iconic
05-20-2014, 08:52 PM
In that order, don't count out Denver. They beefed up a little.

Good point. They're getting Von back, and they signed one of the best box safeties in the NFL right now.

mcaj22
05-20-2014, 08:56 PM
how are the Chiefs going to be top 5 this year when they aren't playing 8 third string quarterbacks again?

In58men
05-20-2014, 08:57 PM
how are the Chiefs going to be top 5 this year when they aren't playing 8 third string quarterbacks again?

Good point lol.

Direckshun
05-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Browns.

milkman
05-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Pats won't even break top 15.

Coochie liquor
05-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Hawks, 9ers, Cards, Bengals, Bucs

Mr_Tomahawk
05-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Chiefs
Chiefs
Chiefs

Iconic
05-20-2014, 09:10 PM

Revis and McCourty? You don't think that get's them at least into the top 15? Come on....

Iconic
05-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Also being realistic here, we probably won't be top 5 given our schedule but picking up Ford will definitely have us in the 10... and let's not forget the abomination that is Kendrick Lewis and his friend Daunte Robinson are gone.

DTLB58
05-20-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm gonna say Rams.
That Front 4 has 4 1st rd picks since '08 on it. :thumb:

Plus Ogletree and some young talent in the secondary they are building. Fun to watch.

milkman
05-20-2014, 09:31 PM
I'm gonna say Rams.
That Front 4 has 4 1st rd picks since '08 on it. :thumb:

Plus Ogletree and some young talent in the secondary they are building. Fun to watch.

I think every team in the NFC west is going to be top 10.

Then you have the Panthers, the Bucs, the Browns, the Texans.

Think those will be 8 of the top 10.

TambaBerry
05-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Chiefs won't be purely for the fact they play Broncos and chargers four times.

milkman
05-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Revis and McCourty? You don't think that get's them at least into the top 15? Come on....

Need more than just a couple of corners.

The rest of that unit, other than Wilfork, who maynot be fully recovered, are prettty much JAGs.

Also being realistic here, we probably won't be top 5 given our schedule but picking up Ford will definitely have us in the 10... and let's not forget the abomination that is Kendrick Lewis and his friend Daunte Robinson are gone.

Until we see how Abdullah or Commings perform, putting the Chiefs in this conversation is a joke.

The Franchise
05-20-2014, 09:38 PM
49ers
Rams
Seahawks
Browns
Ravens

LiL stumppy
05-20-2014, 09:38 PM
If Kc can get dee ford on the field at the same time as hali and houston, and commings is solid, we will have top 5 potential.

-King-
05-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Hawks
9ers
Texans
Bengals
Panthers

ThaVirus
05-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Hawks, 9ers, Cards, Bengals, Bucs

I'd agree with this here.

In58men
05-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Yeah I'm taking Chiefs out

Hawks
Bengals
49ers
Panthers
Houston (Clowney, Watt, Cushing) my god

CoMoChief
Not in any particular order but..

Seahawks
Bengals
49ers
Rams
Chiefs
Cardinals
Broncos

Shit this may be the first time in like a decade we "dont" sweep the NFC West. In fact we may only win 1-2 games against that division. Every team in that division has a good to great defense. Rams are nothing to laugh at. But they're going to go as far as Bradford will take them...which ain't far. That's going to be a tough game, ain't going to be the usual regular season fisting we usually give them when we meet every 4 yrs.

New World Order

The rest of that unit, other than Wilfork, who maynot be fully recovered, are prettty much JAGs.

Until we see how Abdullah or Commings perform, putting the Chiefs in this conversation is a joke.

It's going to be like last year; If we don't get to the quarterback our secondary will be lit up.

Great Expectations
05-20-2014, 09:51 PM
It's going to be like last year; If we don't get to the quarterback our secondary will be lit up.

That's almost every NFL team.

OldSchool
05-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Hawks
Niners
Cardinals
Rams
Bengals
Broncos
Saints
Browns
Bills
Texans
Jets
Chiefs

We come in at 12th overall.

mcaj22
05-20-2014, 09:59 PM

*if our DC doesn't make adjustments when teams figure out hes a one trick pony all game, we will be lit up.

kcchiefsus
05-21-2014, 03:45 AM
Hawks
Niners
Cardinals
Rams
Bengals
Broncos
Saints
Browns
Bills
Texans
Jets
Chiefs

We come in at 12th overall.

I guarantee the Broncos won't have a top 5 defense.

WhiteWhale
05-21-2014, 06:28 AM

Yards or points?

Cos the pats haven't finished outside of the top 15 in points allowed since 2005.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-21-2014, 09:48 AM
*if our DC doesn't make adjustments when teams figure out hes a one trick pony all game, we will be lit up.

I was all excited that we were going to "attack". I became less excited when the battle plan was revealed one dimensional with no adjustment strategy...:(

Just Passin' By
05-21-2014, 10:12 AM

They'll be a top defense as long as Wilfork, Kelly and Mayo are all recovered and can stay healthy.

Steron
05-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Seahawks
49ers
Rams
Cardinals
Bengals

ThaVirus
05-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Seahawks
49ers
Rams
Cardinals
Bengals

No way four teams from the same division end up in the top 5.

I guess it depends on how you measure them though. Are we going by the traditional yardage marker? Points allowed? A mixture of the two?

ThPantherFan
05-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Panthers will be there too.

duncan_idaho
05-21-2014, 10:47 AM

And replaced by whom?

A guy who couldn't beat them out last year and a converted CB who has yet to play a down in the NFL.

Iconic
05-21-2014, 01:07 PM

That entire secondary has elite written all over it. Their DE's are young and full of potential and that line backing corp is solid IMO. The only area I'd argue is filled with JAGs is that interior line.
Assuming everyone comes back at 90% I don't see how they don't crack the top 15.

Can't argue with this considering it is true... but if Abdullah does manage to preform similar to the playoff game I'd say the joke is over.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Broncos ROFL

ThaVirus
05-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Damn.

Devin McCourty, Darrelle Revis, Jerod Mayo, Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones, Vince Wilfork. Didn't they also sign another CB?

Just Passin' By
05-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Damn.

Devin McCourty, Darrelle Revis, Jerod Mayo, Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones, Vince Wilfork. Didn't they also sign another CB?

Browner

OldSchool
05-21-2014, 02:14 PM
No way four teams from the same division end up in the top 5.

I guess it depends on how you measure them though. Are we going by the traditional yardage marker? Points allowed? A mixture of the two?

Have you looked at their defensive rosters? It's a very real possibility especially when you consider that there are no offensive juggernaughts within that division either.

Rausch
05-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Yards or points?

Cos the pats haven't finished outside of the top 15 in points allowed since 2005.

Pts are what matter...

Setsuna
05-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Browner

Lawd have mercy. Didn't they get Easley too?

Just Passin' By
05-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Lawd have mercy. Didn't they get Easley too?

Yes. As of right now, assuming health, the defense should look something like this, once Browner comes off his suspension:

Ninkovich
Kelly
Wilfork
Chandler Jones
(Easley/Chris Jones/Silaga/Smith - sub packages)

Collins
Mayo
Hightower

Revis
Browner
(Dennard/Arrington - nickel)
McCourty
Ryan/Harmon

Rams Fan
05-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Any of you who exempt the Rams are doing this wrong.

RippedmyFlesh
05-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Pts are what matter...

Exactly screw yards points are what matter everything else is just fantasy material.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Any of you who exempt the Rams are doing this wrong.

We are talking top 5 not 10 to 15

milkman
05-21-2014, 05:27 PM
That entire secondary has elite written all over it. Their DE's are young and full of potential and that line backing corp is solid IMO. The only area I'd argue is filled with JAGs is that interior line.
Assuming everyone comes back at 90% I don't see how they don't crack the top 15.

Can't argue with this considering it is true... but if Abdullah does manage to preform similar to the playoff game I'd say the joke is over.

I tend to think that guys like Ninkovich and Mayo are overrated, and they lack speed.

They might step it up and be rated higher than they have been, but I am not banking on it.

Jones and Collins give them more speed than they have had prior to their arrival, so it is possible, but, again, I won't be banking on it.

And to the question of points vs. yards, I am assuming the OP was talking yards.

I agree with those that have stated that points are what matter, however.

listopencil
05-21-2014, 05:32 PM
I guarantee the Broncos won't have a top 5 defense.

If the Bronco offense is anywhere near as good at scoring points as it was last year, I don't see how their Defense can put up top five stats. It's possible that they end up having a more complete Offense, that scores less points, with a stronger running game. That would mean giving their opponents less drives to work with and that could keep our D stats up. But I don't think they are going to be capable of just shutting down the rest of the NFL drive after drive.

ThaVirus
05-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Have you looked at their defensive rosters? It's a very real possibility especially when you consider that there are no offensive juggernaughts within that division either.

I've seen them. I've also seen ours and you'd think we'd be top 5. Doesn't always work that way..

I said earlier that I agreed with someone's list that had the Hawks, 9ers and Cards in the top 5 but the Rams are just middle of the pack, in my opinion. They may find themselves in the top 10 or even top 8 this coming season but I don't think they'll be in the top 5.

If I were going to start a franchise right now and had my choice of defensive players, I'd either take Robert Quinn or JJ Watt. I know they're stacked on the D line with Laurinaitis and Ogletree backing but who do they have in the secondary? Janoris Jenkins is decent but I'm not sure they have the guys on the back end to match. Plus their offense is atrocious. That doesn't help.

Rams Fan
05-21-2014, 05:33 PM
We are talking top 5 not 10 to 15

I'd like you to name one front four better than the Rams'.

ThaVirus
05-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Just checking on the stats, the Saints were top 5 in yards and points last season. Shit LMAO

They, along with the Panthers, did have a pretty cake schedule facing their own division and the AFC East though..

I'm still impressed.

Rams Fan
05-21-2014, 05:35 PM
I've seen them. I've also seen ours and you'd think we'd be top 5. Doesn't always work that way..

I said earlier that I agreed with someone's list that had the Hawks, 9ers and Cards in the top 5 but the Rams are just middle of the pack, in my opinion. They may find themselves in the top 10 or even top 8 this coming season but I don't think they'll be in the top 5.

If I were going to start a franchise right now and had my choice of defensive players, I'd either take Robert Quinn or JJ Watt. I know they're stacked on the D line with Laurinaitis and Ogletree backing but who do they have in the secondary? Janoris Jenkins is decent but I'm not sure they have the guys on the back end to match. Plus their offense is atrocious. That doesn't help.

McDonald seemed to be coming along after he came back from his broken leg. Biggest question is how well will Jenkins and Johnson perform at CB.

And the O isn't atrocious. But that's a different story.

ThaVirus
05-21-2014, 05:36 PM
McDonald seemed to be coming along after he came back from his broken leg. Biggest question is how well will Jenkins and Johnson perform at CB.

And the O isn't atrocious. But that's a different story.

It's bad, dude. Pretty bad.

Iconic
05-21-2014, 06:26 PM
And replaced by whom?

A guy who couldn't beat them out last year and a converted CB who has yet to play a down in the NFL.

Abdullah was a legitimate starter in MIN. If it wasn't for taking off that following year he would still be a starter. I'm not saying he's exceptional but he's definitely better than Lewis. Commings will supply depth.... this is an upgrade.

Robinson was a turd. A useless nickelback that was taking snaps from Cooper. We replaced him with either Owens, Gaines, or Cooper... Upgraded.

milkman
05-21-2014, 06:31 PM
Abdullah was a legitimate starter in MIN. If it wasn't for taking off that following year he would still be a starter. I'm not saying he's exceptional but he's definitely better than Lewis. Commings will supply depth.... this is an upgrade.

Robinson was a turd. A useless nickelback that was taking snaps from Cooper and now Owens + Gaines as well.

Playing FS in a cover 2 is entirely different from playing single high safety.

Abdullah won't be that absolute pile of shit back there that Lewis was, but it's possible he'll leave us lamenting the fact that the position wasn't addressed in free agency or the draft.

If we want this defense to really step up, then we had better hope like hell that Commings really develops.

SAUTO
05-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Good point milky and agreed on commings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By
05-21-2014, 07:10 PM
I tend to think that guys like Ninkovich and Mayo are overrated, and they lack speed.

Mayo ran a 4.54, has been rookie of the year and first team all pro, and is an excellent tackler who doesn't have to get pulled out on passing downs. I'm not sure how you're getting overrated and lacking speed out of that.

duncan_idaho
05-21-2014, 07:11 PM

Robinson was a turd. A useless nickelback that was taking snaps from Cooper. We replaced him with either Owens, Gaines, or Cooper... Upgraded.

If he's 'definitely better' than Lewis, why did he not play over him in 2013?

milkman
05-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Mayo ran a 4.54, has been rookie of the year and first team all pro, and is a tackling machine. I'm not sure how you're getting overrated and lacking speed out of that.

When I watch the Pats, I don't see that speed on the field.

SAUTO
05-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Mayo ran a 4.54, has been rookie of the year and first team all pro, and is an excellent tackler who doesn't have to get pulled out on passing downs. I'm not sure how you're getting overrated and lacking speed out of that.

Nice edit
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By
05-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Nice edit
Posted via Mobile Device

I was trying to be more polite. Given the person I was responding to, I shouldn't have wasted my time.

BossChief
05-21-2014, 09:54 PM

I totally disagree.

Even with total crap at both safety positions last year (I don't really count Berry as a safety) the defense was on pace for some historical numbers until the SD game where Hali and Houston got hurt.

Add another pass rusher into the mix and replace Lewis and Demps with Abdullah and Commings and I think this defense has a real chance to be top 5...even while playing SD and Denver twice each.

BossChief
05-21-2014, 09:56 PM
If he's 'definitely better' than Lewis, why did he not play over him in 2013?

Because he was coming back from a year away from football. He started camp on the pup.

Old coaches (like Sutton) rarely replace a returning starter in those situations and iirc Abdullah started the last 2 regular season games and played a bunch in the playoff game.

milkman
05-21-2014, 10:01 PM
I totally disagree.

Even with total crap at both safety positions last year (I don't really count Berry as a safety) the defense was on pace for some historical numbers until the SD game where Hali and Houston got hurt.

Add another pass rusher into the mix and replace Lewis and Demps with Abdullah and Commings and I think this defense has a real chance to be top 5...even while playing SD and Denver twice each.

Coincidentally, when Hali and Houston got hurt, teams found out how easily Lewis could be exploited.

Now teams can take advantage of the poor tackiling in the short passing game, and when the corners jump the routes, take advantage of the hole in the back end.

Reerun_KC
05-21-2014, 10:02 PM

Sutton is a joke. As long as he is here, We don't stand a chance to win much of anything.

mcaj22
05-21-2014, 10:02 PM
or just take advantage of the middle of the field because we still only have 1 linebacker than can cover the pass.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-22-2014, 07:25 AM
You don't need 11 all pros to have a great defense. It's pathetic how much this D has underachieved.

OldSchool
05-22-2014, 08:51 AM
What you need to have a good-great defense:

1. Dominant front 4/7. While having a great LB core would be icing on the cake, you can get by with an average LB core (in a 4-3 or any sub packages) if you have a killer front 4 that can consistently pressure the QB and is also stout against the run.

In a 3-4 you need at least 1 dominant player along the DL who can demand a lot of attention (Watt, Justin Smith, Haloti Ngata, that's Poe for us), 1 player who is above average, and you can get by with just an average guy as your 3rd player (The Texans with Watt and Smith would have been the perfect example of this, Justin Smith and Ray McDonald would be another, Calais Campbell and Darnell Dockett, etc). Then you need one great pass rusher to man one OLB position while having the opposite OLB be at least above average so that you have a good chance at winning the 1 on 1 battles. At ILB you need at least 1 outstanding player who can play the tradition chase and tackle guy while also having the ability to cover a TE or RB in a 1 on 1 situation. The second dominant ILB isn't a requirement but it's nice to have as the 49ers and Cardinals have proven, you should be able to get by with a guy who is average to above average at that position.

2. #1 Shut down corner: Many teams have multiple weapons that they can hurt you with now a days but if you have a #1 CB who you can trust to take away 1 of those guys (Revis, Haden) or shut down his side of the field (Sherman) then that goes a long way towards helping your DC gameplan against the opponent. We currently don't have that CB anywhere on our roster. The only way that you can get away without one now is if you have a truly dominant front 7 like the 49ers have with pretty much all-pro level players at most of their positions (Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Ahmad Brooks).

3. Good safeties: The position has become more and more important over the years. You need at least 1 great player at either S position, preferably the center-fielder in our system, with an above average player at the other who is sound in his assignment and technique. We had dog crap there at center fielder while Sutton was busy trying to turn Eric Berry into the next Brian Dawkins.

So we lacked 2 of my 3 key components to be a great defense in today's NFL and didn't really do much to improve on it immediately for the 2014-15 season. Maybe in a couple of years when Cooper/Gaines are further along in their development, but I'm certainly not betting on it now. I see us as middle of the pack again defensively.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Dumb. You don't need a shut down corner or 2 all pro safeties to have a great D.

OldSchool
05-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Dumb. You don't need a shut down corner or 2 all pro safeties to have a great D.

Never said you need 2 All-pro safeties. Also, under the shut down corner, I said that the only way you can get away without one is an absolutely dominant front 7. Currently we have 4 pieces in place for that (Houston, Poe, Hali, Johnson) we need at least 1 more to emerge along the DL in order for us to become consistently dominant enough in the front 7 to get away without having a true #1 corner.

That #1 corner is increasingly important in a man coverage scheme. You can get away with just fundamentally sound players in the secondary if you play a primarily zone system, however, we play a man coverage scheme where our players are asked to win 1 on 1 on virtually every snap. In a man coverage scheme, it's pretty much a requirement to have a true #1 corner who can play on an equal level with the opposing #1 WR. Do you honestly think that we have a player who is capable of doing that from game 1 this season? I don't.

duncan_idaho
05-22-2014, 10:39 AM
I totally disagree.

I'm just going to need to see it to believe. (Considering what I have been skeptical about regarding the Chiefs in the past year, this is a good thing. My skepticism has usually been dealt with)

I think a large part of the historical numbers we saw from the defense came from playing a lot of really bad QBs.

Probably not going to be ONE Jeff Tuel on this season's schedule, let alone 3.