PDA

View Full Version : Football Former players sue NFL, claim league illegally gave painkillers to mask injuries

Deberg_1990
05-21-2014, 10:37 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ex-players-sue-nfl-painkiller-abuse-article-1.1799275

Former NFL wide receiver J.D. Hill’s life went straight to hell after he left the league in 1979, addicted to the painkillers that kept him in the game for seven seasons with the Buffalo Bills and the Detroit Lions.

Hill no longer had access to the NFL doctors and trainers who gave him piles of pills during his career. He turned to street drugs to deal with his football-related pain, eventually became homeless, and spent the next 20-plus years bouncing in and out of treatment centers.

Hill, former Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon and six other former NFL players claim the league illegally gave them narcotics and other painkillers that led to addiction and long-term medical complications in an explosive class-action lawsuit filed on Tuesday in San Francisco federal court.

The suit says the league obtained and administered painkillers, anti-inflammatories and sleep medication without prescriptions in order to get injured players back on the field as quickly as possible without regard to the athletes’ long-term health. Players were not informed of the drugs’ side effects, the dangers of taking medication beyond the recommended dosages or mixing it with alcohol, or the potential for addiction, the lawsuit says.

“Rather than allowing players the opportunity to rest and heal, the NFL has illegally and unethically substituted pain medications for proper health care to keep the NFL’s tsunami of dollars flowing,” the lawsuit says of the $9 billion-a-year league.

More than 500 other NFL retirees have also joined the lawsuit, which shines a light on what players’ attorney Phil Closius describes as a pervasive culture of painkiller abuse and addiction that went well beyond the league’s teams, doctors and trainers.
“We’re confident this was a league-wide, league-supplied drug culture,” Closius told the Daily News.

An NFL spokesman said the league had not seen the lawsuit and its attorneys have not had an opportunity to review it.

“As a player, you get all of these drugs for free over the years of your career. Then suddenly you are released and the free supply stops overnight,” says Hill, who has overcome his addiction and now works as a pastor and substance-abuse counselor. “Many players are addicted and turn to street dealers for the drugs formerly provided by the NFL. This then leads to other problems such as cocaine or heroin use, bankruptcy and prison.”

The suit claims that NFL teams were well aware that they were violating drug laws. The suit says trainer Fred Caito came down hard on offensive lineman Keith Van Horne, McMahon’s teammate on the 1985 Super Bowl champion Bears, after a doctor without any affiliation to the NFL prescribed Percodan.

“The problem was that the Bears ordered painkillers in advance of every season under a player’s name and Van Horne had thus put Caito in a bad spot by obtaining the Percodan when there were already DEA records that hundreds of painkillers had been ordered in Van Horne’s name, even though Van Horne had no need for the medications the Bears had ordered at the time the order was placed,” the suit says.

McMahon, meanwhile, became addicted to painkillers, downing more than 100 Percocet pills per month, the lawsuit says. Team doctors and trainers didn't get prescriptions for the medication, keep records or explain side effects.

Ex-San Francisco 49ers center Jeremy Newberry, meanwhile, says he suffers from severe kidney failure as a result of the painkillers and anti-inflammatories he received from team doctors and trainers. He can no longer take medication for his “violent” headaches, the suit says, because it might cause further kidney problems.

Drug addiction has not received as much attention as the long-term consequences of traumatic brain injuries for football players, but Dr. William Focazio, the founder of Pain Alternatives, Solutions and Treatment, says the vast majority of the hundreds of ex-players he has worked with have struggled with painkillers.

“Every player I get has told me they were given white envelopes with pills and told, ‘This one is for pain; this one is for sleep,’ says Focazio, whose organization provides care to destitute NFL players. “Many of them have severe addiction problems.

“Pain tells us when it is time to rest and recover, and when you mask it, you exacerbate injuries,” Focazio adds. “The injuries we treat are much worse than they should have been because the league let these guys play when they should have been resting.”

The league agreed to pay $765 million last year to players who claimed in a lawsuit that the NFL concealed the dangers of concussions, but a federal judge rejected the deal in January and the case is still pending.

Anyong Bluth
05-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Not defending the NfL, but painkillers = masking an indication by your body that something isn't quite right with your body.

BullJunkandIron
05-21-2014, 10:54 AM
If the trainers would of gave them a steaming pile of dog feces would they of ate that?

Katipan
05-21-2014, 10:56 AM
If the trainers would of gave them a steaming pile of dog feces would they of ate that?

If you told my psycho that it would make him bigger, stronger, faster, or immune to pain, he would have asked for salt.

And that's without the glory of money and fame.

Dunerdr
05-21-2014, 10:59 AM
I bet they never asked for them even once. You say it hurts they say here you go. What's the problem.

BWillie
05-21-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm tired of this crap. HUGE muscle bound guys that are in the elite class of athletes in the world are flying around the field, certainly people are going to get hurt, probably long term injuries. Did you not accept these painkillers? Good lord. Be a man, accept the consequences. You were paid a buttload of money

BigBeauford
05-21-2014, 11:12 AM
I bet not one of these guys used these for recreational purposes on the side.

Mr. Laz
05-21-2014, 11:14 AM
isn't the entire concept of painkiller to mask?

Players yell at the league 'it's a tough sport, a man's sport, we know the risks so stop with all the new rules about hitting' then they sue because they get hurt

Rain Man
05-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Now that the litigation train has started, it's just a matter of time before it kills the NFL. Next it'll be knee injuries and after that it'll be mouthguard issues and after that it'll be hamstrings. The players have the money to litigate and the league has money to settle with. By the time it's over, the NFL will be flag football with no contact and the stadiums will be empty.

BlackHelicopters
05-21-2014, 11:19 AM
Of course NFL players took and continue to take painkillers. It's how they function week to week.

jd1020
05-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Of course NFL players took and continue to take painkillers. It's how they function week to week.

That doesnt stop them from suing the league after they've retired and are on the verge on filing bankruptcy.

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Former NFL wide receiver J.D. Hill and his wife have been sentenced to five years probation for bilking the Social Security Administration out of more than $65,000.

Hill, 55, and his wife Caryl, had pleaded guilty in November to bank fraud and conspiracy. Prosecutors said Hill collected Social Security disability payments while continuing to earn a "significant income'' from a job.

Caryl Hill cashed the checks knowing that she had her husband were not entitled to the money, prosecutors said.

U.S. District Court Judge Robert Pratt ordered the couple Wednesday to repay the $65,326 they collected. Pratt said he was giving Hill a chance to restore his reputation.

The government said the fraud occurred while the Hills were living in Iowa City from 1995 to 2000. They now live in Chandler, Ariz.

"All my life I wanted to be a role model to help kids,'' J.D. Hill told the judge. "I could not have predicted what I've been through. I apologize.''

After playing at Arizona State, Hill spent five seasons with the Buffalo Bills and two with the Detroit Lions, catching 185 passes for 2,880 yards and 21 touchdowns. He was chosen for the Pro Bowl in 1972, when he finished with a career-best 52 receptions.

The Hills' sons, Kahlil and Hakim, starred in football at Iowa City High. Kahlil Hill played wide receiver at Iowa, while Hakim was a running back at Arizona State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2108280

InChiefsHeaven
05-21-2014, 12:04 PM
I think the problem is that most of these guys played during an era where they didn't make as much as today's players do. Also, there was not as much awareness or knowledge about the future repercussions of playing the sport. I dunno...I kinda feel for these guys, but I can't say I know what the solution is.

Now, they hold guys out for concussions, even if the player doesn't want it (Jamaal Charles). At some point, the player, a grown man, must take responsibility for his own health. Now if it'sa "take this or be fired, get out there and play" kind of thing, that's a problem too.

I don't know. I know I love to watch football, and I have a great deal of respect for the guys who play it. I just hate to see it go away for some shit like this...

In58men
05-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Ex NFL players suing the NFL? Why is this news?

NewChief
05-21-2014, 12:10 PM
I think the problem is that most of these guys played during an era where they didn't make as much as today's players do. Also, there was not as much awareness or knowledge about the future repercussions of playing the sport. I dunno...I kinda feel for these guys, but I can't say I know what the solution is.

Now, they hold guys out for concussions, even if the player doesn't want it (Jamaal Charles). At some point, the player, a grown man, must take responsibility for his own health. Now if it'sa "take this or be fired, get out there and play" kind of thing, that's a problem too.

I don't know. I know I love to watch football, and I have a great deal of respect for the guys who play it. I just hate to see it go away for some shit like this...

Yeah. I'm sure they were way more liberal with dispensing of painkillers back then than they are now. I'm also sure that the culture was a lot more casual about their use. People also weren't as aware of prescription narcotic potential for abuse back then as they are now (specifically with regards to opiate abuse). That being said, some of these guys (Jim McMahon) were probably partying their asses off on these drugs and knew good and well that they shouldn't be eating them like M&Ms. That doesn't absolve the league of culpability, but these ADULTS knew what the **** they were doing. The one guy says that trying to find analogous drugs led them to heroin and cocaine abuse. Ummm... what drug was the NFL giving you that parallels cocaine?

Katipan
05-21-2014, 12:16 PM
The one guy says that trying to find analogous drugs led them to heroin and cocaine abuse. Ummm... what drug was the NFL giving you that parallels cocaine?

Cocaine makes you feel alive and pain free. That's the high they were chasing. Otherwise they could have all popped mini thins for energy.

NewChief
05-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Cocaine makes you feel alive and pain free. That's the high they were chasing. Otherwise they could have all popped mini thins for energy.

A cocaine high isn't analogous to an opiate high in the least. On top of that, let's be honest here: we're talking about crack most likely, which is nothing like painkillers. So to claim, "They got me hooked on painkillers, so I became a crackhead" is a pretty gross oversimplification of the road that a given person went down to become a crackhead.

Katipan
05-21-2014, 12:18 PM
A cocaine high isn't analogous to an opiate high in the least.

Very interesting.
In no way invalidates what I posted.

Have you ever used cocaine?

Marcellus
05-21-2014, 12:19 PM
McMahon is also claiming he played with a broken neck and broken ankle that the team knew about and didn't tell him.

Yea right.

Van Horne says he played an entire season with a broken leg the team knew about and hid from him. Less of a stretch yet still unlikely.

NewChief
05-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Very interesting.
In no way invalidates what I posted.

Have you ever used cocaine?

Yes.

I also added on to my post.

Katipan
05-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Yes.

I also added on to my post.

Whether it's crack or nubain or oxys it's the attempt to go through your day without being miserable.

Whether something is an upper or a downer has little relevance here.

Mr. Laz
05-21-2014, 12:22 PM
I have no problem with a player suing the league for malpractice but much of this stuff is just a money grab. Former NFL players pissed off because they didn't make all the money that current players are making.

NewChief
05-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Whether it's crack or nubain or oxys it's the attempt to go through your day without being miserable.

Whether something is an upper or a downer has little relevance.

My point is that opiates have a very specific chemical makeup that causes a very specific withdrawal symptoms. Cocaine doesn't alleviate those withdrawal systems. Only more opiates do.

So if you're claiming the league got you hooked on opiates, which led to you having to alleviate your physical withdrawal symptoms through eventually seeking opiates on the black market, eventually leading you to try heroin, then you have a case.

The logical progression to cocaine isn't so neat. I get what you're saying as far as mental addiction (I just want to feel good), but I think that's harder to prove than the causation I outlined above. They can just as easily claim that it led to them becoming alcoholics.

Katipan
05-21-2014, 12:27 PM
My point is that opiates have a very specific chemical makeup that causes a very specific withdrawal symptoms. Cocaine doesn't alleviate those withdrawal systems. Only more opiates do.

So if you're claiming the league got you hooked on opiates, which led to you having to alleviate your physical withdrawal symptoms through eventually seeking opiates on the black market, eventually leading you to try heroin, then you have a case.

The logical progression to cocaine isn't so neat. I get what you're saying as far as mental addiction (I just want to feel good), but I think that's harder to prove than the causation I outlined above. They can just as easily claim that it led to them becoming alcoholics.

Cocaine is cheaper and easier to attain. And while it doesn't make you sleep it fixes the rest of the problems for the short window of time you're doing it.

I think it's ridiculous that they would sue. I hope you don't think I'm advocating they have a case. But I sure know the mind of a man hooked on pain killers.

NewChief
05-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Cocaine is cheaper and easier to attain. And while it doesn't make you sleep it fixes the rest of the problems for the short window of time you're doing it.

I think it's ridiculous that they would sue. I hope you don't think I'm advocating they have a case. But I sure know the mind of a man hooked on pain killers.

Cocaine fixes opiate withdrawal? Perhaps relieves some of the symptoms, but I think that the cramping, vomiting, aching, flu-like shit persists even if you're honking eight balls if you're truly an opiate addict without your opiates (will have to ask some of our resident ex-addicts... beach tribe, Icarus?).

Anyway, I think we're just looking at it in two different ways. I agree that psychological addiction can lead to abusing various drugs just to feel better. My brother is that kind of addict. He will do anything and abuse anything, but he never gets physically addicted to any of the shit he does. He just likes to get fucked up.

As for this story, I just think it's easy and convenient to throw cocaine into the mix in this lawsuit because probably many of the plaintiffs were cocaine addicts of record (police records and rehab records), not heroin/opiate addicts. So they're throwing the cocaine thing in there because that was their drug of choice. The fact is that their cocaine/crack addiction has a lot more to do with the 1980s crack culture from which they sprung and returned than the league getting them hooked on painkillers.

Katipan
05-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Cocaine fixes opiate withdrawal? Perhaps relieves some of the symptoms, but I think that the cramping, vomiting, aching, flu-like shit persists even if you're honking eight balls if you're truly an opiate addict without your opiates (will have to ask some of our resident ex-addicts... beach tribe, Icarus?).

Anyway, I think we're just looking at it in two different ways. I agree that psychological addiction can lead to abusing various drugs just to feel better. My brother is that kind of addict. He will do anything and abuse anything, but he never gets physically addicted to any of the shit he does. He just likes to get ****ed up.

As for this story, I just think it's easy and convenient to throw cocaine into the mix in this lawsuit because probably many of the plaintiffs were cocaine addicts of record (police records and rehab records), not heroin/opiate addicts. So they're throwing the cocaine thing in there because that was their drug of choice. The fact is that their cocaine/crack addiction has a lot more to do with the 1980s crack culture from which they sprung and returned than the league getting them hooked on painkillers.

There is a whole sliding scale of addiction before you get to the puking stage. But I don't even understand how we got to this part of the conversation.

Man goes to work. Feels bad. Work gives him something to feel good. Man goes home. Wash rinse repeat a couple hundred times.

Man stops going to work. Still feels bad. (INSERT ANYTHING TO FEEL GOOD) Man goes home.

Alcohol - drugs - a stripper under an overpass. Without the initial indoctrination would he need that hooker? I don't know. But I won't judge the blow job.

Anyong Bluth
05-21-2014, 12:57 PM

LT would love a bump if you're holding.

WhiteWhale
05-21-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm tired of this crap. HUGE muscle bound guys that are in the elite class of athletes in the world are flying around the field, certainly people are going to get hurt, probably long term injuries.

So what? Guys know they're going to get hurt. IT's football, not ballet.

Did you not accept these painkillers? Good lord. Be a man, accept the consequences.

What a shitty take this is. What happens if he did NOT accept them and instead took the time to allow his body to heal? He'd be fired. These people are HUMAN BEINGS and for some reason folks like you assume that because they're athletes they're somehow nothing more than worthless circus monkeys that should be put down once their days of entertaining you are over.

You were paid a buttload of money

How much were NFL players paid in 1979? Do you really think it was comparable to the post free agency NFL?

If any job did what the NFL did to their players over the past 40 years, they'd be condemned all across the country. Because they're athletes and thus somehow perceived more like race horses than human beings , the general opinion seems to be '**** these guys'.

This 'paid you a buttload of money' stuff shows a complete detachment from the reality, which is that NFL players were not paid anything like modern players are.

The fact is that teams paid doctors a LOT OF MONEY to lie to players about their health, and they SHOULD have to pay for that.

Chief Roundup
05-21-2014, 01:23 PM
You were paid a buttload of money

In 1979 or earlier, I doubt they made much. In a lot of cases players had to work second jobs in the late 60's.

nychief
05-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Deadspin ‏@Deadspin 1m
Kyle Turley says he had teammates who took 30 Vicodin a day: http://deadsp.in/qJRP0MI

Amnorix
05-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Seems to me these guys likely have a pretty good case. The thing everyone here is arguing about is "assumption of the risk". It's basically the defense against tort claims that if someone got hurt where they KNEW about a specific risk, then it's on them. The classic example (though the defense doesn't always work) is skiing, where if you ski into a tree and break a leg, that's on you.

I think here the assumption of the risk defense doesn't really work too well. If a guy is playing football and breaks an arm when he collides iwth another player, that's assumption of the risk. Assumption of the risk doesnt' work when you're talking about the kind of stuff these allegations relate to. Teams not making full disclosure regarding mediations given, not getting informed consent, lying to players, etc. There's no assumption of the risk defense for that.

Nor is there any "but hey, we paid you alot of money" defense.

The modern NFL can paper their way around this. It will be a pain in the ass, but between consent forms, releases/waivers, etc., use of independent doctors, etc., I think they can get to a reasonably safe point, from a litigation view, from getting more of these claims asserted against them going forward.

nychief
05-21-2014, 02:28 PM
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/21/new-brain-changes-found-in-football-players/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Pepe Silvia
05-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Whether its true or not could you imagine playing NFL football with a broken neck?

lcarus
05-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Deadspin ‏@Deadspin 1m
Kyle Turley says he had teammates who took 30 Vicodin a day: http://deadsp.in/qJRP0MI

Oh i can see that. At a point i could take 10 a day easy, and more if i really wanted. I was only 185 lbs and never exercised

Mr. Laz
05-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Whether its true or not could you imagine playing NFL football with a broken neck?
depend on your definition of broken

Is a hairline fracture of a cervical vertebrae considered 'broken'?

technical that is a broken neck but it's not nearly as dramatic as it sounds

probably risky as hell, but not dramatic

Bugeater
05-21-2014, 04:46 PM
I have no problem with a player suing the league for malpractice but much of this stuff is just a money grab. Former NFL players pissed off because they didn't make all the money that current players are making.
This, and the amount the league itself is making. And I'm not sure that I blame them because these former players paved the way for what the NFL has become.

Oh, and Jim McMahon is a douche. Not really relevant to the story but I just wanted to get that in there.