PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto -- Anyone ever own an M3 BMW?

Simply Red
05-23-2014, 08:19 AM
I'm looking to swap out the Audi for my daily beater - I'm interested in the older 2004ish model to replace the 3.2 A4.

Anyone ever had this guy? Which version and what feedback do you all have?

Just wondering - I'm looking to do this within the next 8 weeks or so. No hurry.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, and by the way I've researched it's Reputation, online. Overall it's/they're pretty darned solid.

Thanks again guys, TGIF!

Deberg_1990
05-23-2014, 08:31 AM
No, I'm not "metro" enough to own the of those.

kepp
05-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Can you get it in peach?

Simply Red
05-23-2014, 08:34 AM

yeah I know most on here prefer the American Sports car - and that's 'Okay'

I just know a few others - such as Stanley Chief, Miadragon and Anyong Bluth all are German car fans, so....

TambaBerry
05-23-2014, 08:46 AM
I didn't own it but a family member did, it was a fun little car and I don't remember him ever having any problems with it.

Buehler445
05-23-2014, 08:51 AM
I believe my uncle had one and got to buy a transmission for it.

Don't take that as gospel, I really don't remember any details, years, etc. Anyway, all I remember is he was pissed and sold it.

hometeam
05-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Never had one, but they are known POS :/

SAUTO
05-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Never had one, but they are known POS :/
that's what I thought too.

Simply Red
05-23-2014, 09:31 AM
that's what I thought too.

I think it depends on Transmission type TBH.

I don't know the BMW families very well, yet.

Some are notably more problematic. I was hoping for help here w/ CP - but I may just have to further investigate on bimmer forums.

Thanks.

KC native
05-23-2014, 09:55 AM
I think it depends on Transmission type TBH.

I don't know the BMW families very well, yet.

Some are notably more problematic. I was hoping for help here w/ CP - but I may just have to further investigate on bimmer forums.

Thanks.

You should know better than to ask about Bimmers on Camaroplanet.com. Those midwesturn' fellas don't need no Mtree to go fas. Just a camaro or silverado with an ls/lt block bored thurdy ova wif perfermance cams.

ModSocks
05-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Never driven one, but it's a damn cool car.

You'll have to buy a microfiber cloth and some quick detailer to wipe off all the snail trails from the pussy that'll be throwing itself at you.

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Yes I have a convertible M3. It's a great friggen car. What do you want to know?

Big Poppa Payne
05-23-2014, 10:14 AM
10 years ago I had a 2002 M3 convertible black with red leather interior. It was a fun car to drive. Never had any issues with it but I only had it for about a year.

bdj23
05-23-2014, 10:17 AM
I had a guy from the Netherlands try to convince me to buy one once.

/adds nothing

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Upside:

Handling is off the charts. You will never be good enough to maximize what this car is capable of.
Adequate power for almost anything you will most likely need.
Great looking car.

Downside:
Could be a little roomier if you are over 6"
Maintenance, it is still a BMW, everything will cost more and the M3 has parts that are not standard and harder to get.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a luxury/status car there is better ways to go about it. On the other hand if performance is important and you really like carving up the canyon or backroads this car is a friggen blast. Bring your wallet though. I never suggest a car like this for somebody who doesn't have a great relationship with a really good mechanic. You don't want to be servicing this at the dealership.

Simply Red
05-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Upside:

Handling is off the charts. You will never be good enough to maximize what this car is capable of.
Adequate power for almost anything you will most likely need.
Great looking car.

Downside:
Maintenance, it is still a BMW, everything will cost more and the M3 has parts that are not standard and harder to get.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a luxury/status car there is better ways to go about it. On the other hand if performance is important and you really like carving up the canyon or backroads this car is a friggen blast. Bring your wallet though. I never suggest a car like this for somebody who doesn't have a great relationship with a really good mechanic. You don't want to be servicing this at the dealership.

I was wanting to know which family - I've already owned two tuned 335i's - the one I have now is my non daily drive - but I do take it out about twice per week. My Audi is the daily drive for puttin miles on ....

I'm thinking 2002->2005 on the M - Do you know what might be best - also - should I do the 333hp v6 or get the v8?

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2014, 10:36 AM
I was wanting to know which family - I've already owned two tuned 335i's - the one I have now is my non daily drive - but I do take it out about twice per week. My Audi is the daily drive for puttin miles on ....

I'm thinking 2002->2005 on the M - Do you know what might be best - also - should I do the 333hp v6 or get the v8?

Well hell you are probably set to go. I am a horsepower junkie but got the right price on the v6 so that might be a question you want to run by your mechanic. The v6 has adequate speed for the vast majority of people out there.

Simply Red
05-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Well hell you are probably set to go. I am a horsepower junkie but got the right price on the v6 so that might be a question you want to run by your mechanic. The v6 has adequate speed for the vast majority of people out there.

oh yeah - for sure.

Bob Dole
05-23-2014, 10:45 AM
You should know better than to ask about Bimmers on Camaroplanet.com. Those midwesturn' fellas don't need no Mtree to go fas. Just a camaro or silverado with an ls/lt block bored thurdy ova wif perfermance cams.

Bigot much?

rolltide2014
05-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Downside:

Well you know everyone on CP is working with at least 10" so this will obviously be a problem.

KC native
05-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Bigot much?

No sense of humor much?

patteeu
05-23-2014, 12:38 PM
No, but I have one parked in my driveway at the moment. One of my daughter's sorority friends left it here while she's on a trip.

frankotank
05-23-2014, 12:57 PM

you shut your whore mouth!
I twarn't take too kindly to no camaro bashing nazi trash talk! this MERKA!
you don't dis muh baby!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=1451

should I do the 333hp v6 or get the v8? [/FONT]

dude. 333hp is PLENTY! my SS doesn't have that much. I get there.....

Deberg_1990
05-23-2014, 01:00 PM
What model of Ford or GM is this?

'Merican Damnit!

Tytanium
05-23-2014, 01:05 PM
I'm looking to swap out the Audi for my daily beater - I'm interested in the older 2004ish model to replace the 3.2 A4.

Anyone ever had this guy? Which version and what feedback do you all have?

Just wondering - I'm looking to do this within the next 8 weeks or so. No hurry.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, and by the way I've researched it's Reputation, online. Overall it's/they're pretty darned solid.

Thanks again guys, TGIF!

Expensive to maintain out of warranty. I'd budget at least a third of the car's value for the first 24 months' worth of maintenance and repairs.

Not a bad car at all though. 2004 was the last model year of BMW that I really liked the look of (i.e. before Chris Bangle became involved and began ruining the design) of the 3 series. Modern ones are OK I guess, but they don't look near as sharp as the mid 2000s ones.

BWillie
05-23-2014, 01:07 PM
No but I have a BMW 528i I'm trying to sell if anybody is interesting. Good cars.

MIAdragon
05-23-2014, 01:27 PM

Metro for an M3?

MIAdragon
05-23-2014, 01:31 PM
I've had an 04 E46 M3 with the SMG trans. LOVED it! There are a few things to look out for. First they have issues with the rear subframe, make sure its been fixed or take that in to account in the price. Second, if you go with the SMG the pumps start to go as the miles go up, replacement was around 2-3K with a clutch. Its hard to beat a turbo M3 with the SMG.