PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Our 2014 Draft

Direckshun
05-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Something else I like to do every year.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/pg-photo/2013/07/26/0ap2000000221463/5-dee-ford-auburn_pg_600.jpg

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/31484059/20120929_lbm_at5_301.0_standard_730.0.jpg

http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2012/09/-9b2e9732ca159053.JPG

http://athlonsports.com/sites/default/files/MurrayNew.jpg

http://www.patriotsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/6_460679.jpg

http://storage.calgarysun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297514759748_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=420x

Direckshun
05-23-2014, 01:07 PM
My reviews on three of these players, done long before the Draft began:

CB Phillip Gaines, Rice -- Gaines would be the absolutely perfect player for the Chiefs to take in the midrounds of this draft. As he showed at the Combine, Gaines is very fast -- one of the few players this year who ran a 4.3. He's also pretty tall -- 6'0" and 190 lbs, but it's a pretty short 6'0". He doesn't look or play as long as he is. Maybe that can be coached up... but he's got 31" arms, so. What's far more impressive about Gaines is his man coverage. The guy is a hip-pocket corner, gluing to his guy with elite recovery speed. His game is weak, however, everywhere else. So the team that takes him will need to bring him along exactly how we brought along Marcus Cooper last year. I continue my assertion that both Flowers and Smith will be cut in 2015. And while Gaines may not be a starting outside CB in the future (though I do think he projects to that eventually), he can redshirt behind three veterans (plus Parker) for a year before taking on more significant role like NCB in 2015.

RB De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon -- There's not much that can be said about Thomas that isn't extremely well known at this point. Thomas is a speed demon, perhaps threatening to run in the 4.2s at the Combine and his Pro Day. You absolutely need to get him in space for a couple reasons: 1st, he can eat up yardage at a Jamaal Charles clip. His kick returns are occasionally brilliant, but he can turn a simple bubble screen into a 9 yard gain the blink of an eye -- one seam, and he's gone. 2nd, because he's absolutely horrid between the tackles. For a guy as fast as he is, he doesn't have the jukey skillset of McCluster, and doesn't make a ton of people miss. He's also prone to injury due to his size (5'9", 175 lbs), and has never carried the ball more than 100 times in a season. He's going to be nothing more than a complementary element for a team in the NFL, but it'd be a hell of an element to have.

QB Aaron Murray, Georgia -- I think there's a place in my heart where I believe that Murray is the 4th best QB in this draft, past even David Carr. Murray is a battle-tested, smart QB with great zip on his passes and near ideal decision-making coming out of a pro-style offense. Murray's biggest knock, of course, is his height, as is the fact he hasn't been blowing the world up like some of the other QBs have. But there is no mistaking Murray's capability of carrying the mantle of NFL starter. He's faced the worst college football could throw at him for several years and has come out playing almost always really well. At the very least, Murray is going to be a fantastic backup in the NFL. At best, on a team with a great run game and great receiving talent, he could eventually flirt with Pro Bowls.

Saccopoo
05-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Look! Dee Ford running into a guy for one of his 10.5 sacks.

Direckshun
05-23-2014, 01:15 PM

Have you seen Ford in shorts?

He looks like a smaller, blacker incredible hulk. Dude is ripped.

Mr. Laz
05-23-2014, 01:19 PM
McCluster is jukey?

Direckshun
05-23-2014, 01:21 PM
McCluster is jukey?

Definitely.

The contrast I've always drawn between those players: McCluster is less elite in straight-line speed, but great in small spaces, and Thomas lacks McCluster's moves in no space, but has elite straight-line speed.

I don't care what Thomas timed; the guy plays with 4.3 speed.

RealSNR
05-23-2014, 01:23 PM
I didn't see one CPer talk about Zach Fulton before the draft, but most everybody seems to be cool with him.

What's your take, Direckshun?

Direckshun
05-23-2014, 01:29 PM
I don't think he's a good fit, honestly. But I'm not terribly passionate about that point of view, the tape I saw on Fulton was 100% tape I spent watching JuWuan James and Antonio Richardson.

Fulton signals the Chiefs trying to going back and trying a power run game again, despite the fact that they looked their best playing a faster ZBS. I like the Duvarney-Tardif better, as Tardif is fantastically athletic and, once he has his fundamentals down (right now his fundamentals are horrific), he should shred people at the second level.

His feet look slow to me, and he may have timed in the 5.1s but he looks like he plays in the 5.4s.

Again, I'm not super passionate about the guy like I am every other pick we made (positive or negative). But I honestly would have rather had Antonio Richardson, who in addition to having all of Fulton's tools, had multiple years experience holding down LT in the SEC, giving him tackle flexibility (which I personally love in guard prospects).

RealSNR
05-23-2014, 01:38 PM
I don't think he's a good fit, honestly. But I'm not terribly passionate about that point of view, the tape I saw on Fulton was 100% tape I spent watching JuWuan James and Antonio Richardson.

Fulton signals the Chiefs trying to going back and trying a power run game again, despite the fact that they looked their best playing a faster ZBS. I like the Duvarney-Tardif better, as Tardif is fantastically athletic and, once he has his fundamentals down (right now his fundamentals are horrific), he should shred people at the second level.

His feet look slow to me, and he may have timed in the 5.1s but he looks like he plays in the 5.4s.

Again, I'm not super passionate about the guy like I am every other pick we made (positive or negative). But I honestly would have rather had Antonio Richardson, who in addition to having all of Fulton's tools, had multiple years experience holding down LT in the SEC, giving him tackle flexibility (which I personally love in guard prospects).
That's kind of what I got, too.

I don't ever really see him get worked around in the highlights I've watched since after we drafted him, but he also just doesn't really do anything with his guy. There's no real push generated by Fulton-- he kind of tends to "sit" on his block and shove the guy gently away from the developing play. It seems to work okay against college competition, but in the NFL I could see the potential for him being a disaster.

Still, it's not like he's hopelessly undersized or woefully incompetent in his technique. Fat and slow offensive linemen have turned into all-pros in the past, so while it's a knock against Fulton, it's certainly not a deal breaker.

The scouts who reviewed the 3rd day players with the media on kcchiefs.com said Fulton was "pro ready." I don't see that being the case at all. At this point I'd certainly have to give the nod to Rishaw Johnson taking the starting RG spot.

Direckshun
05-23-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm about there, too. I think Fulton is backup guard ready. I'd be 100% happy with him being the swing guard. He's exactly what you want in a backup guard right now. Physically limited but with decent tools to hold things down for a while.

My biggest issue with Fulton, other than his slow feet, is that he plays high. I think if he fixes that, he's going to be a lot more successful. Fortunately, that can be coached. But his slow feet are going to burn him against quick-twitch DTs, he's not nearly the athlete either Jeff Allen or Rishaw Johnson are. But I think he has the ability to play nose tackles well if he plays lower.

As of now, I just really beg the Chiefs to stick with the ZBS.

Hammock Parties
05-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Definitely.

You ass. He's not a Chief anymore, because he sucked.

Direckshun
05-23-2014, 01:55 PM
You ass. He's not a Chief anymore, because he sucked.

He's not a Chief anymore, because we didn't have the cap room.

Hammock Parties
05-23-2014, 01:56 PM
He's not a Chief anymore, because we didn't have the cap room.

For shitty little players.

Direckshun
05-23-2014, 01:57 PM
For shitty little players.

For versatile slot receiver/special teams studs, but potato potahto.

Mr. Laz
05-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Definitely.

The contrast I've always drawn between those players: McCluster is less elite in straight-line speed, but great in small spaces, and Thomas lacks McCluster's moves in no space, but has elite straight-line speed.

I don't care what Thomas timed; the guy plays with 4.3 speed.
Then why can you count the number of guys McCluster made miss, during his entire Chiefs career, with 2 hands?

Direckshun
05-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Then why can you count the number of guys McCluster made miss, during his entire Chiefs career, with 2 hands?

Because that's not how pro football works. Not a ton of guys spend their career making scores of guys whiff on you when they're locked in. These dudes are millionaires because they can tackle really well.

Jukes are overrated. What you want is a guy who can maximize whatever space he's given, and if you can juke a guy out once in a while, even better for it.

I don't think there's any doubt that McCluster was a quick twitch talent with the ability to change direction very well. He was pretty effective as a RB under Haley. Ideally, that's what we'll do with Thomas.

RealSNR
05-23-2014, 02:06 PM
For versatile slot receiver/special teams studs, but potato potahto.

Dave Toub.

I'm convinced that we could put Mike DeVito out there as our kick returner and he'd take one all the way at least one time during the season.

Dave Toub is a fucking genius. We're not going to miss McCluster as kick returner one goddamn bit.

Mr. Laz
05-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Because that's not how pro football works. Not a ton of guys spend their career making scores of guys whiff on you when they're locked in. These dudes are millionaires because they can tackle really well.

Jukes are overrated. What you want is a guy who can maximize whatever space he's given, and if you can juke a guy out once in a while, even better for it.

I don't think there's any doubt that McCluster was a quick twitch talent with the ability to change direction very well. He was pretty effective as a RB under Haley. Ideally, that's what we'll do with Thomas.
I couldn't disagree more.

McCluster's time under Haley was largely wasted, he left yards on the field just about every time he touched the ball. He should have been used as a WR the entire time because that got him behind the guys he couldn't make miss.

Did you see what McCluster was like in the snow game? McCluster's small size and light weight gave him a change of direction advantage in the snow.
That's what the Chiefs had hoped he would be like the entire time but he wasn't quick or instinctive enough a runner to do so.

Direckshun
05-23-2014, 02:16 PM
I couldn't disagree more.

McCluster's time under Haley was largely wasted, he left yards on the field just about every time he touched the ball. He should have been used as a WR the entire time because that got him behind the guys he couldn't make miss.

Did you see what McCluster was like in the snow game? McCluster's small size and light weight gave him a change of direction advantage in the snow.
That's what the Chiefs had hoped he would be like the entire time but he wasn't quick or instinctive enough a runner to do so.

After this past year, it's hard to disagree with the fact that McCluster should have been a slot WR from day one.

Mr. Laz
05-23-2014, 02:33 PM
After this past year, it's hard to disagree with the fact that McCluster should have been a slot WR from day one.
wait ... but you just said
He was pretty effective as a RB under Haley. Ideally, that's what we'll do with Thomas.
So you want Reid to make the same mistake with DaT as Haley did with McCluster?

Charles is an outstanding 3rd down type back, we don't need him losing touches to DaT the way he did to McCluster under Haley.

DaT should be 100% slot WR and KR his entire time. Get him the ball behind the Dline and in space, let him run. The problem is that we still don't have a big enough deep threat at receiver to open it up for him.

Saccopoo
05-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Have you seen Ford in shorts?

He looks like a smaller, blacker incredible hulk. Dude is ripped.

Just like Vernon Gholston...

who had better, but similar, college production than Ford.

The Franchise
05-23-2014, 02:45 PM
wait ... but you just said

So you want Reid to make the same mistake with DaT as Haley did with McCluster?

Charles is an outstanding 3rd down type back, we don't need him losing touches to DaT the way he did to McCluster under Haley.

DaT should be 100% slot WR and KR his entire time. Get him the ball behind the Dline and in space, let him run. The problem is that we still don't have a big enough deep threat at receiver to open it up for him.

Thomas will probably be listed as our 3rd RB....but he'll play WR 99% of the time. It allows us to keep another WR and get rid of Gray.

Saccopoo
05-23-2014, 02:59 PM

Fulton had the slowest 20 Shuttle time of anyone timed at the 2014 Combine and has a history of ankle injuries.

A dead rhinoceros has quicker feet than Fulton.

However, he has suffered a stress fracture in his leg, a high ankle sprain, an MCL sprain and a bone bruise. While not filling all the injury requirements of a typical Dorsey draft pick, he was injured enough to merit consideration by the Chiefs GM.

The Bad Guy
05-23-2014, 03:20 PM

I don't know how you post this nonsense when you have advocated for a fucking guard going to our pick at 23 that didn't get taken until round 3.

Messier
05-23-2014, 03:36 PM

Here we go again. What's your evidence Ford is nothing but a workout warrior?

It's easy to just compare him to a bust to make your point. Here, I'll compare him to Clay Matthews Jr.

Saccopoo
05-23-2014, 04:19 PM
I don't know how you post this nonsense when you have advocated for a ****ing guard going to our pick at 23 that didn't get taken until round 3.

The guard was actually productive in college.

Saccopoo
05-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Here we go again. What's your evidence Ford is nothing but a workout warrior?

It's easy to just compare him to a bust to make your point. Here, I'll compare him to Clay Matthews Jr.

The Decision Lens football's Holy Grail.

Well done.

gonefishin53
05-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Dex averaged 0.6 yards/carry on jet sweeps or option pitches in 2013. I've watched DAT play about 15 games in the last three seasons and have no doubt he could average at least 6 yard/carry on those opportunities. His vision, elusiveness, and acceleration allow him to evade tackles Dex couldn't. If he gets 40 catches and 20 carries from his natural slot WR/ wing back position, I think he'll produce about 600 yards from scrimmage and 6 offensive TDs this season.

Titty Meat
05-23-2014, 04:58 PM

If Ford was part of your cult you would say diffrrent things

The Bad Guy
05-23-2014, 05:04 PM
The guard was actually productive in college.

So productive that he was taken in the 3rd round.

Easy 6
05-23-2014, 05:16 PM

:shake: you poor guy, I got the cure for your blues this weekend... get piss drunk on Jager and hog out on fried pork chops.

You'll be feeling better in no time...

thabear04
05-23-2014, 05:28 PM
http://gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/aaron-murray-old-lady-locker-room-tour-3-570x629.jpg

I found this online.

thabear04
05-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Aaron Murray disapprove of the Dee Ford pick here why

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/840x606q90/28/s2jc.jpg

Saccopoo
05-23-2014, 05:38 PM
:shake: you poor guy, I got the cure for your blues this weekend... get piss drunk on Jager and hog out on fried pork chops.

You'll be feeling better in no time...

I've never been piss drunk on Jager. I really can't imagine anything worse. Perhaps burning to death...maybe.

I remember when I was in Germany and was talking to this old timer farmer and he was in awe that we actually drank that shit as he used it as a liniment for his horses.

As for the fried pork chops, I did just eat about a pound of hummus. Satisfaction at it's finest.

By the way, ahhh...I forget.

Easy 6
05-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Horse linament LMAO

Sounds about right...

milkman
05-23-2014, 08:51 PM

McCluster wasn't jukey.

He couldn't make your grandmother miss.

Much of the yardage he gained running the ball in Haley's offense was on 3rd and long draw plays.

Whatever the hell you do for a living,, don't give it up to go into scouting, cause you suck at it.

milkman
05-23-2014, 08:52 PM

Those 2 hands missing about 6 fingers?

RealSNR
05-23-2014, 11:51 PM
I haven't seen a shitty lineman pimped as hard as sac pimped Jackson since Trevor Laws

Bewbies
05-24-2014, 08:00 AM
I haven't seen a shitty lineman pimped as hard as sac pimped Jackson since Trevor Laws

Is sac findthedr? LMAO

Oregon chief
05-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Thomas doesn't make people miss? That's funny.

Saccopoo
05-24-2014, 11:44 AM

You must have missed the whole Glenn Dorsey thing then.

SAUTO
05-24-2014, 02:27 PM
You must have missed the whole Glenn Dorsey thing then. and Dorsey went high. Not in the third round.
Posted via Mobile Device