PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Paylor:Chiefs draft pick Laurent Duvernay-Tardif getting up to speed

Tribal Warfare
05-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Chiefs draft pick Laurent Duvernay-Tardif getting up to speed (http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/25/v-print/5046477/chiefs-draft-pick-laurent-duvernay.html)
By TEREZ A. PAYLOR
The Kansas City Star

Sixth-round pick Laurent Duvernay-Tardif knew his adjustment from Canadian football — he’s spent the last four years playing at McGill University in Montreal — to the NFL would be a steep one.

But through the first two days of the Chiefs’ three-day rookie minicamp this weekend, there were a handful of occasions where he saw just how wide the talent gap is. For instance, on the first day of camp, speedy outside linebacker Dee Ford, who happens to be the Chiefs’ first-round pick, lined up in a three-point stance, several yards outside of Duvernay-Tardif, who was playing right tackle, and proceeded to blow by him with a noticeable speed rush and accompanying swim move.

To his credit, Duvernay-Tardif is actively working to get use to combatting the speed of NFL-quality pass rushers like Ford.

“It’s different, but especially the alignment where I’m not used to having a rusher that far on the edge,” Duvernay-Tardif said. “So I think I just need to get used to guys that are more vertical, and I think I’m going to be able to catch that.”

In particular, Duvernay-Tardif said he’s working on improving his kick step, which is the first step a tackle takes in pass protection.

“Yeah, I think I need to work on that,” Duvernay-Tardif said. “Coach gave me a few coaching points yesterday and I’m going to work on it.”

Local players

On the 35 players invited for tryouts, only two — Pittsburg State linebacker Nate Dreiling and Kansas State long snapper Marcus Woodside-Heit — are from area schools.

Etc.

Defensive tackle Risean Broussard did not participate in Sunday’s practice. The Chiefs are expected to release an update on his status Monday.

Practice observations

• Fifth-round quarterback Aaron Murray threw only one interception Sunday (after throwing four Saturday), but his accuracy was still a little off. Still, that’s to be expected only six months after an ACL injury.

• Tennessee-Martin inside linebacker Ben Johnson made a nice play when he picked off Murray once on a rollout.

• Running-back coach Eric Bieniemy is going to ride fourth-rounder De’Anthony Thomas this camp. Biemiemy was constantly screaming at Thomas and others to finish each play.

• CFL transport Weston Dressler made a sliding catch. He’s shown good hands and some shiftiness, so it will be interesting to see how he fares when the whole team gets here.

• Former Florida wide receiver Frankie Hammond had a nice practice. Hammond, who spent the 2013 season on the practice squad, flashed some quickness and was on the receiving end of a number of passes.

• Basketball-player-turned tight end Demetrius Harris has dropped some passes the last few days. Some of that has to do with spotty quarterback play, but you’d still like to see more consistency.

In58men
05-25-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm ready for preseason already. I'm intrigued to see what Thomas can bring to the table.

OldSchool
05-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Man, Harris is letting me down. Was hoping we would see him step up. Guess it's all on Kelce now.

Reerun_KC
05-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Who?

KcMizzou
05-25-2014, 11:16 PM
Who?Larry.

MMXcalibur
05-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Fifth-round quarterback Aaron Murray threw only one interception Sunday (after throwing four Saturday), but his accuracy was still a little off. Still, that’s to be expected only six months after an ACL injury.

Bust.
Move on.

In58men
05-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Bust.
Move on.

Yeah, 5th round QBs rarely never pan out. Not sure why our orangization thinks otherwise.

New World Order
05-26-2014, 04:03 AM
I'm ready for preseason already. I'm intrigued to see what Thomas can bring to the table.

Same. A backfield with Charles and Thomas could be DYNAMIC.

kcchiefsus
05-26-2014, 05:11 AM
Yeah, 5th round QBs rarely never pan out. Not sure why our orangization thinks otherwise.

So if he was drafted in the 3rd round he would magically be more likely to pan out?

Fucking dumbass

(And if you're too fucking stupid to understand the situation, i'll spell it out. He very likely could have gone in the 3rd or higher if he hadn't of torn his ACL, or perhaps if he wasn't 6'0").

OldSchool
05-26-2014, 05:22 AM
So if he was drafted in the 3rd round he would magically be more likely to pan out?

****ing dumbass

(And if you're too ****ing stupid to understand the situation, i'll spell it out. He very likely could have gone in the 3rd or higher if he hadn't of torn his ACL, or perhaps if he wasn't 6'0").

No, if he were drafted in the 3rd round that would mean that it's more likely that the team actually believes that he can become a starting QB. The fact that he was taken in the 5th points to his upside likely being a back-up at best.

TEX
05-26-2014, 05:56 AM
Bust.
Move on.

I don't know why people use the term "bust" when referring to a 5th round draft pick because if it doesn't pan out, its not "that" big of a deal. You do just move on...IMO, the term "BUST" is more appropriate when describing an early round pick that doesn't work out, because that's a much bigger deal.

htismaqe
05-26-2014, 06:05 AM

Fucking dumbass

(And if you're too fucking stupid to understand the situation, i'll spell it out. He very likely could have gone in the 3rd or higher if he hadn't of torn his ACL, or perhaps if he wasn't 6'0").

ROFL

htismaqe
05-26-2014, 06:06 AM
Another article on a guy that probably won't make the team?

Who gives a fuck about this guy? Is it because he went to medical school?

kcchiefsus
05-26-2014, 06:44 AM

Who gives a **** about this guy? Is it because he went to medical school?

Since we have so much depth at tackle...

Hoover
05-26-2014, 06:53 AM
I like this guy, and if the outside continues to bother him move him to guard.

I like these camp reports, can't wait for the pre-season to begin.

OldSchool
05-26-2014, 07:00 AM

He's probably going to be developed as a swing guy for his rookie contract if he hangs on the roster. He has the athleticism, strength, and smarts to play any position on the line. His best fit might be inside though, his arms are less than 34" long.

ChiTown
05-26-2014, 07:22 AM
Duvernay-Tardif: "I'm not used to the opposing players not resembling a corpse. I really need to make an adjustment to players who can actually move their own body parts....."

Dunerdr
05-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Dee ford in a 3 point? Should I read into this more?

SAUTO
05-26-2014, 08:44 AM

Rarely never? So they usually do pan out?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz
05-26-2014, 10:39 AM
• Running-back coach Eric Bieniemy is going to ride fourth-rounder De’Anthony Thomas this camp. Biemiemy was constantly screaming at Thomas and others to finish each play.
:banghead:

why isn't it Wide receiver coach ......?

He should be a slot gadget guy most of the time so he needs to be working with the WRs.

another wasted couple of years ala McCluster

kcchiefsus
05-26-2014, 10:43 AM

He should be a slot gadget guy most of the time so he needs to be working with the WRs.

this

Who the hell really thinks a 175 pound guy can break tackles from linebackers and linemen? If we had the early 2000's Chiefs o-line then perhaps he would be fine as he would be 5 yards downfield before he even gets touched. But with this line he needs to have the ability to muscle through arm tackles.

Why is it hard for football guys to make simple decisions? The average joe will tell you this won't work. Even if he gets some decent yardage here or there, he's no better than 3rd on the depth chart at runningback. Put him at WR and he could start in 3 wr sets.

:hmmm:

xztop123
05-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Gruden made Murray seem like he was great. these articles make him seem poor

Mr. Laz
05-26-2014, 10:48 AM
this

Who the hell really thinks a 175 pound guy can break tackles from linebackers and linemen? If we had the early 2000's Chiefs o-line then perhaps he would be fine as he would be 5 yards downfield before he even gets touched. But with this line he needs to have the ability to muscle through arm tackles.

Why is it hard for football guys to make simple decisions? The average joe will tell you this won't work. Even if he gets some decent yardage here or there, he's no better than 3rd on the depth chart at runningback. Put him at WR and he could start in 3 wr sets.

Yep, we already have the best 3rd down back in the league with Jamaal Charles and Davis looks to be a quality backup.

If they want a 3rd string option at RB then go out and get a power back who can play special teams and occasionally come in and slam it up inside on short yardage.

DaT needs to be polishing his receiving skills not dicking around trying to take touches away from Charles/Davis.

makes no fucking sense

htismaqe
05-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Yep, we already have the best 3rd down back in the league with Jamaal Charles and Davis looks to be a quality backup.

If they want a 3rd string option at RB then go out and get a power back who can play special teams and occasionally come in and slam it up inside on short yardage.

DaT needs to be polishing his receiving skills not dicking around trying to take touches away from Charles/Davis.

makes no fucking sense

To be honest, we would have won the playoff game had Cyrus Gray been a smidge faster down the sideline.

Maybe this is a total panic move?

AustinChief
05-26-2014, 10:50 AM

this

You guys are forgetting that we have changed coaches. Any Reid's running backs are basically wide receivers 50% of the time.

We do not need a power back unless it's one who can catch. In Reid's offense, a RB who is 75% pass catcher is a fine fit.

Mr. Laz
05-26-2014, 10:58 AM
You guys are forgetting that we have changed coaches. Any Reid's running backs are basically wide receivers 50% of the time.

We do not need a power back unless it's one who can catch. In Reid's offense, a RB who is 75% pass catcher is a fine fit.
The why do we have a RB coach at all?

Just have them all work with the WRs coach.

exaggeration i know, but the point remains that DaT shouldn't waste time at RB

TEX
05-26-2014, 11:01 AM

He is what he is - A 5th round draft pick coming off a major knee injury...

Mr. Laz
05-26-2014, 11:03 AM
To be honest, we would have won the playoff game had Cyrus Gray been a smidge faster down the sideline.

Maybe this is a total panic move?
That's true, there were a number of things that could have happened and we would have won.

But even that play was a failure running a receiving route, not running like a RB.

I want DaT full speed ahead polishing his route running and returning skills.

handing the ball off to a 175lb guy, even a single time in preseason, is a waste imo

RunKC
05-26-2014, 11:08 AM

Think about this for a second htismaqe.

He's as big, strong and fast as any OT and G in this entire class. That includes Greg Robinson, the first one picked. He's just as smart as anyone. He barely practiced and was still a beast Canada. He's mean and plays nasty on the field.

I think he could eventually be a starter. I think they want him at LG in the future.
From what Mayock and LaCanfora have said, he can be a starter in 2015 after a little more practice.

What's not to like?

Tribal Warfare
05-26-2014, 11:19 AM

Who gives a fuck about this guy? Is it because he went to medical school?

Dude, what did I say about people bitching about football related threads?

htismaqe
05-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Think about this for a second htismaqe.

He's as big, strong and fast as any OT and G in this entire class. That includes Greg Robinson, the first one picked. He's just as smart as anyone. He barely practiced and was still a beast Canada. He's mean and plays nasty on the field.

I think he could eventually be a starter. I think they want him at LG in the future.
From what Mayock and LaCanfora have said, he can be a starter in 2015 after a little more practice.

What's not to like?

There's not not to like.

There's also nothing really TO like.

He's a backup of a backup.

People get excited about some strange shit...

htismaqe
05-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Dude, what did I say about people bitching about football related threads?

I don't know. I've pretty much tuned you out.

:D

OldSchool
05-26-2014, 03:25 PM

What did you expect? He's a 5th round talent in a draft that was full of teams who needed a good starting QB. He's going to be a career back-up.

RealSNR
05-26-2014, 04:16 PM
There's not not to like.

There's also nothing really TO like.

He's a backup of a backup.

People get excited about some strange shit...

-The offseason doldrums are beginning to set in.
-There's nothing else to write about in this rookie minicamp.
-Larry has an odd/interesting background.
-He's part of a 6th round that featured two fatties.
-We're thin at offensive line depth.

It's pretty easy to see why people are talking about him at this point.