PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Ketchup/catsup. What's your take?

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Where do you stand on the issue? Love it or hate it?

Heinz or Hunt's, or some other brand?

Ever make your own?

On fries?

On hotdogs?

On burgers?

Ever try it with potato chips?

My in-laws had a foreign exchange student that would use it like gravy on his mashed potatoes. He also put chopped up pepperoni in there.

Do you prefer catsup?

Glass bottles or squeezable?

Ever tried the low/no sodium kind?

Organic or no preservatives?

What's your stand on it with no HFCS?

What do you think of the restaurants that are now using the little containers that equal 3 packets?

Tell me everything you love and hate about ketchup/catsup.

millz
05-30-2014, 12:55 PM
only heinz. never fucked with any other brand.

only with fries and a little bit on burgers. prefer glass bottles to squeezable.

heard it's nice with potato chips but I would never try it.

TimBone
05-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Blends perfectly with Mac 'n' Cheese. /Inmem

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2014, 12:57 PM

ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2014, 12:58 PM
only heinz. never ****ed with any other brand.

only with fries and a little bit on burgers. prefer glass bottles to squeezable.

heard it's nice with potato chips but I would never try it.

I used to be strictly Heinz, but I find Heinz cloying now and prefer Hunt's. I think Hunt's has the superior spice palate.

I like it with fries, hotdogs, burgers, and chips (particularly standard potato chips).

I once bought a pint jar of homemade ketchup from an Amish road stand out near Windsor, MO, and holy cow was that good stuff. I never found them again, and I've never had any ketchup that ever came close again. I've tried making my own a few times in an attempt to recreate that little pint jar of condiment gold, but they have all been dismal failures.

In58men
05-30-2014, 01:00 PM

It's amazing

Donger
05-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Simple Truth Organic only. I can't consume any other ketchup now.

Discuss Thrower
05-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Catsup/ketchup SUCKS.

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Simple Truth Organic only. I can't consume any other ketchup now.

Good, huh? Haven't tried it, but may.

I will say even though I switched from Heinz to Hunt's, I didn't do that until Hunt's started selling the no preservatives, no HFCS version. It's vastly superior to their regular bottle.

alpha_omega
05-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Ketch...not Cats.

Glass over plastic.

For french fries...that's it.

Dayze
05-30-2014, 01:17 PM

LMAO

Dinny Bossa Nova
05-30-2014, 01:17 PM
"Anything that tastes good with ketchup tastes better with barbeque sauce" - Jason Whitlock

Dinny

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Cetchsup

Dartgod
05-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Heinz or Hunt's, or some other brand? Heinz

Ever make your own? No, but my grandmother used to make and my mom and dad used to love it. I couldn't stand it.

On fries? Hell yes!

On hotdogs? Hell no! :Lin:

On burgers? Of course, with mustard and pickles

Ever try it with potato chips? No thank you

Do you prefer catsup? It's the same thing

Glass bottles or squeezable? Ex-squeeze me?

Ever tried the low/no sodium kind? No

Organic or no preservatives? Never tried it

What's your stand on it with no HFCS? Not sure. What does Heinz have?

What do you think of the restaurants that are now using the little containers that equal 3 packets? Those are pretty damn cool.

Sidenote: My little sister used to eat ketchup sandwiches when we were kids. Blech!

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Cetchsup

I suggest the following amendment: Cetschup. It's easier to say and makes you sound kind of like Sean Connery.

Deberg_1990
05-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Whataburger Spicy ketchup
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Whataburger ketchup tastes like a strange mix of BBQ sauce and ketchup. I can't say I'm a fan, except on a Whataburger burger.

Donger
05-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Good, huh? Haven't tried it, but may.

I will say even though I switched from Heinz to Hunt's, I didn't do that until Hunt's started selling the no preservatives, no HFCS version. It's vastly superior to their regular bottle.

It's a little odd/different at first because it doesn't taste like red sugar, but I'm not kidding. I hate the taste of normal ketchup now.

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2014, 01:37 PM
It's a little odd/different at first because it doesn't taste like red sugar, but I'm not kidding. I hate the taste of normal ketchup now.

I may try it. It didn't take me long to go complete Red Coat on Heinz when I switched to Hunt's. I'll give it a shot next time I buy.

WhawhaWhat
05-30-2014, 01:39 PM
I get Trader Joe's ketchup mostly and it's in plastic bottles. I put it on burgers, hot dogs, brats, fries, hash browns.

Kansas City Kid
05-30-2014, 01:42 PM
Henz Real Jalapeno Ketchup......followed by sitting on the pot and using a couple of Shittens at getshittensdotcom

Chief Roundup
05-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Don't care much for ketchup unless it is on a good meatloaf like my wife makes. It is loaded in salt and acids.

hometeam
05-30-2014, 02:43 PM
I eat basically 99% of all things available to be eaten.

ketchup is not one of them. Yall motherfuckers need mustard.

Rain Man
05-30-2014, 02:44 PM
The spelling of the word ketchup/catsup is one of my greatest stresses in life. I really have no idea which spelling to use.

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2014, 02:49 PM
The spelling of the word ketchup/catsup is one of my greatest stresses in life. I really have no idea which spelling to use.

Think the bolded part at the end may help you.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/29649/whats-difference-between-ketchup-and-catsup

Ketchup and catsup are simply two different spellings for the same thing, a modern, Westernized version of a condiment that European traders were introduced to while visiting the Far East in the late 17th century. What exactly that condiment was and where they found it is a matter of debate.

It could have been ke-chiap from China's southern coastal Fujian region or it could have been kicap (a Malay word borrowed from the Cantonese dialect of Chinese, also spelled kecapand ketjap) from Indonesia, both of which are sauces based on brined or pickled fish or shellfish, herbs and spices. Whatever it was, the Europeans liked it, and as early 1690, they brought it back home with them, calling it catchup.

The early Western versions of the sauce - which, starting in 1711, was sometimes called ketchup, another Anglicization of the Malay name popularized in the book An Account of Trade in India - were pretty faithful to the original Eastern ones, with one of the earliest recipes published in England (1727) calling for anchovies, shallots, vinegar, white wine, cloves, ginger, mace, nutmeg, pepper and lemon peel. It wasn't until almost a century later that tomatoes found their way into the sauce, in a recipe in an American cook book published in 1801. In the meantime, another alternative spelling popped up, mentioned in a 1730 Jonathan Swift poem: "And, for our home-bred British cheer, Botargo [a fish roe-based relish], catsup, and caveer [caviar]."

The tomato-based version of ketchup quickly caught on in the U.S. during the first few decades of the 19th century. At first, it was made and locally sold by farmers, but by 1837 at least one company was producing and distributing it on a national scale. The H. J. Heinz Company, a name that's synonymous with ketchup for most people today, was a relative latecomer to the game and didn't produce a tomato-based ketchup until 1876. They originally referred to their product as catsup, but switched to ketchup in the 1880s to stand out. Eventually, ketchup became the standard spelling in the industry and among consumers, though you can still find catsup strongholds sprinkled across the U.S.

Stewie
05-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Ketchup is pretty low on my list, but I'm not a sweet tooth... as in, I also just tried those King Hawaiian rolls. It's like they dumped a bunch of sugar in a Wonder Bread recipe.

TimBone
05-30-2014, 02:55 PM
I'm interested in this Simple Truth Organic. Is it widely available, or am I going to have to hit up a Whole Foods or something similar?

Predarat
05-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Heinz Glass is the best. love it for Dogs and Burgers.

Donger
05-30-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm interested in this Simple Truth Organic. Is it widely available, or am I going to have to hit up a Whole Foods or something similar?

It's a Kroger brand, so I would imagine it's available at any of their grocery store chains.

gblowfish
05-30-2014, 03:03 PM
Technically, I think "Ketchup" and "Catsup" are not exactly the identical thing. Catsup is usually spicier.
But I've seen Brooks label their stuff both "Ketchup" and "Catsup."

Heinz and Hunt's make Ketchup
Brooks makes Catsup.
http://www.catsupbottle.com/

TimBone
05-30-2014, 03:05 PM
It's a Kroger brand, so I would imagine it's available at any of their grocery store chains.

Thanks.

Bob Dole
05-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Tiny buckets of delicious.

blaise
05-30-2014, 03:09 PM
I really only put it on french fries, and even then not often. Once every few years I'll put it on a burger.
The brand I buy for my kids is either Hunts or the organic brand. Heinz just seems gross to me.

My wife gets mad at me because whenever I get it out of the fridge I do the Mr. Burns, "ketchup..catsup...ketchup...catsup," thing. And now my kids do it.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Technically, I think "Ketchup" and "Catsup" are not exactly the identical thing. Catsup is usually spicier.
But I've seen Brooks label their stuff both "Ketchup" and "Catsup."

Heinz and Hunt's make Ketchup
Brooks makes Catsup.
http://www.catsupbottle.com/Google is telling me they are 2 words for the same thing.

gblowfish
05-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Google is telling me they are 2 words for the same thing.

What the hell does Google know about ketchup!??

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2014, 03:36 PM
What the hell does Google know about ketchup!??

Well, not actually Google, but the sites it showed me.

BigMeatballDave
05-30-2014, 03:38 PM
http://www.foodiggity.com/ketchup-vs-catsup/

sedated
05-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Hunt’s guy all the way. Just tastes better IMHO.

sedated
05-30-2014, 03:45 PM
A place nearby me has jars of chipotle ketchup on the tables. I could eat that sh!t with a spoon.

Eureka
05-30-2014, 03:48 PM
It's not very good for your body!

It's like crack for kids. Hidden sugar.

gblowfish
05-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Well, not actually Google, but the sites it showed me.

You say tomato,
I say tomatoh....

:)

Frosty
05-30-2014, 04:05 PM
"Simply Heinz" Ketchup (no HFCS or preservatives). I don't care for the Hunt's version because it's sweeter.

I eat it mainly on fries/jojos. It's gross on any other kind of potato, especially hash browns.

I'll put it on burgers at a restaurant but use BBQ sauce at home.

Nobody, I mean NOBODY, puts ketchup on a hotdog.

TimBone
05-30-2014, 04:23 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/31/gaveny3a.jpg

GloucesterChief
05-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Heinz or Hunt's, or some other brand? heinz low sugar.

Ever make your own? No.

On fries? Nope.

On hotdogs? Yes.

On burgers? Yes.

Ever try it with potato chips? Nope.

Do you prefer catsup? Ketchup

Glass bottles or squeezable? Squeezable

Ever tried the low/no sodium kind? No.

Organic or no preservatives? Nope.

What's your stand on it with no HFCS? Just as bad for me as any other carb.

What do you think of the restaurants that are now using the little containers that equal 3 packets? Don't care.

Tell me everything you love and hate about ketchup/catsup.

I like the tangyness and bit of sour that goes good with beef. Its better warm then out of the fridge cold.

Bugeater
05-30-2014, 04:31 PM
I've expressed my views on ketchup here before. It's the most useless condiment ever, whatever you put it on, it's all you taste. If what you're eating needs ketchup to make it taste better...eat something else. Ketchup sucks.

Frosty
05-30-2014, 04:45 PM

Dirty Harry thinks you're a pussy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Xz84GKxy7b0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyong Bluth
05-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Catsup sounds like a feline slang term for an informal introductory greeting

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/18/sup_fagz_cat.jpg

listopencil
05-30-2014, 06:24 PM
It's good with malt vinegar on anything deep fried.

Steron
05-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Where do you stand on the issue? Love it or hate it? Love it

Heinz or Hunt's, or some other brand? No preference

Ever make your own? No. Would not know where to begin, other than tomatoes

On fries? Hell yes

On hotdogs? Hell no

On burgers? Hell yes

Ever try it with potato chips? No, but I think it might like it.

Do you prefer catsup? I don't know

Glass bottles or squeezable? Glass, it rhymes with ass

Ever tried the low/no sodium kind? Yes, it's wonderfully awful

Organic or no preservatives? Never tried

What's your stand on it with no HFCS? What's HFCS?

What do you think of the restaurants that are now using the little containers that equal 3 packets? I think it rules

lewdog
05-30-2014, 07:18 PM
I only put it on hot dogs because let's be honest, hot dogs aren't that great. I no longer put it on burgers anymore because you should taste the burger, not God awful ketchup. Ketchup is pretty nasty and useless.

Steron
05-30-2014, 07:21 PM
I only put it on hot dogs because let's be honest, hot dogs aren't that great. I no longer put it on burgers anymore because you should taste the burger, not God awful ketchup. Ketchup is pretty nasty and useless.

I agree. Hotdogs are awful unless you're at the ball park. Brats is where's it at. F hotdogs.

listopencil
05-30-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm going to go buy a hot dog and pit cetchsuiop on it just to fuck with you guys.

lewdog
05-30-2014, 09:33 PM
I agree. Hotdogs are awful unless you're at the ball park. Brats is where's it at. F hotdogs.

And you'd never put ketchup on a Brat would you?!

Why Not?
05-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Ketch...not Cats.

Glass over plastic.

For french fries...that's it.

Yep. Only on fries. Ketchup is disgusting on anything else

MMXcalibur
05-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Tastes great on a nice slab of filet mignon.

In58men
05-30-2014, 09:59 PM

This is a bannable offense

Why Not?
05-30-2014, 10:05 PM

Has to be a thread troll post. No way anyone really does that.

Fire Me Boy!
05-31-2014, 05:31 AM

I'd rather see ketchup on a filet than on say a ribeye or KC strip. Filets need some kind of sauce. Outside of tenderness, filets really don't bring much to the table.

Stewie
05-31-2014, 08:39 AM

I used to travel for work and you'd be amazed what people order and do to their food.

I've seen people:

Order prime rib well done.
Put A1 on a beautiful ribeye.
Order fried chicken and proceed to take the skin off and only eat the white meat. What's the point? Order something else.
And yes, ketchup on a steak. A coworker still does this. Usually the wait staff begrudgingly brings her ketchup.

lewdog
05-31-2014, 09:04 AM
My wife puts ketchup on everything, steak included. It's fucking nasty. But I like 'em nasty, so I married her. I seriously only put it on hot dogs and nothing else. She thinks it's weird I eat french fries without it.

Why Not?
05-31-2014, 09:20 AM
I used to travel for work and you'd be amazed what people order and do to their food.

I've seen people:

Order prime rib well done.
Put A1 on a beautiful ribeye.
Order fried chicken and proceed to take the skin off and only eat the white meat. What's the point? Order something else.
And yes, ketchup on a steak. A coworker still does this. Usually the wait staff begrudgingly brings her ketchup.

Ordering prime rib well done should be outlawed

Why Not?
05-31-2014, 09:38 AM
I'd rather see ketchup on a filet than on say a ribeye or KC strip. Filets need some kind of sauce. Outside of tenderness, filets really don't bring much to the table.

Ketchup on any steak is morally wrong

Fire Me Boy!
05-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Ketchup on any steak is morally wrong

Any good steak, I'd agree. Cheap steaks though, I don't care. I'm just saying filet needs something, that's why it's almost ALWAYS served with some kind of a sauce in restaurants.

SAUTO
05-31-2014, 09:46 AM
I used to be strictly Heinz, but I find Heinz cloying now and prefer Hunt's. I think Hunt's has the superior spice palate.

I like it with fries, hotdogs, burgers, and chips (particularly standard potato chips).

I once bought a pint jar of homemade ketchup from an Amish road stand out near Windsor, MO, and holy cow was that good stuff. I never found them again, and I've never had any ketchup that ever came close again. I've tried making my own a few times in an attempt to recreate that little pint jar of condiment gold, but they have all been dismal failures.

I bought all the supplies for our add on from the Amish guys in Windsor. Most Saturday mornings they have a sale at the end of the road I see ketchup there later in the season sometimes, next time I see it I will grab some if I think of it.

Just for you
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
05-31-2014, 09:48 AM
I bought all the supplies for our add on from the Amish guys in Windsor. Most Saturday mornings they have a sale at the end of the road I see ketchup there later in the season sometimes, next time I see it I will grab some if I think of it.

Just for you
Posted via Mobile Device

I would gladly pay you for the jar, shipping, and your trouble.

SAUTO
05-31-2014, 09:51 AM
I would gladly pay you for the jar, shipping, and your trouble.

I seriously get up there quite often, hell I know a bunch of those guys by name. I need a piece of corner metal for my roof so I'll probably be that way I the next few weeks, I'll just ask them to hook me up if they have any ready...

I can't promise anything but I'll definitely try.

They will think its funny. I always give them shit
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
05-31-2014, 09:53 AM
I seriously get up there quite often, hell I know a bunch of those guys by name. I need a piece of corner metal for my roof so I'll probably be that way I the next few weeks, I'll just ask them to hook me up if they have any ready...

I can't promise anything but I'll definitely try.

They will think its funny. I always give them shit
Posted via Mobile Device

Seriously, I had exactly one pint like 12 years ago, and I've never forgotten it.

Baby Lee
05-31-2014, 09:56 AM
Ketchup is a little bland for my taste.

Red Robin's Campfire sauce
Creamy Horseradish
Buffalo Sauce
Honey Mustard
Barbeque Sauce

Given the option, I'd pick any of those.

Red Robin Campfire sauce and those huge steak fries is heaven.

Never put Ketchup on a fucking hotdog.

SAUTO
05-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Seriously, I had exactly one pint like 12 years ago, and I've never forgotten it.

Like I said I can't promise anything but I will definitely try. They all like me
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
05-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Like I said I can't promise anything but I will definitely try. They all like me
Posted via Mobile Device

If you succeed, I'll fight rico for your hand.

SAUTO
05-31-2014, 10:05 AM
If you succeed, I'll fight rico for your hand.

Rico can hold his own. It's like a mission now. Can't make it this weekend but now I wish I could try. LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
05-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Rico can hold his own. It's like a mission now. Can't make it this weekend but now I wish I could try. LMAO

Posted via Mobile Device

I appreciate even the effort, truly.

SAUTO
05-31-2014, 10:09 AM
I appreciate even the effort, truly.

You haven't updated your blog in a while, get tired of it or life just get in the way?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
05-31-2014, 10:12 AM
You haven't updated your blog in a while, get tired of it or life just get in the way?
Posted via Mobile Device

Some health issues drastically changed how I cook. I'm going to try to get back to it, but need to get my life a little more in order first.

SAUTO
05-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Some health issues drastically changed how I cook. I'm going to try to get back to it, but need to get my life a little more in order first.

Got ya. We enjoyed it
Posted via Mobile Device

FlaChief58
05-31-2014, 11:25 AM
I'm obviously in the minority but, I love the stuff. It's by far my most used condiment.

FlaChief58
05-31-2014, 11:31 AM

I don't eat a lot of them, but when I do, there's usually ketchup and onions on it. Not much else

FlaChief58
05-31-2014, 11:33 AM

:drool:

kc rush
05-31-2014, 12:16 PM
None. Use BBQ sauce instead.

Halfcan
05-31-2014, 01:39 PM
Catsup sounds too close to catthrowup- at least in my mind it does. I have never said pass the Catsup in my life-felt like someone would pass me a plate of cat barf.

Gadzooks
05-31-2014, 04:35 PM
For fries , I prefer mayo, (not that miracle whip bullshit). Catsup is for kids. It's so sweet it's practically a tomato based candy.

Baby Lee
05-31-2014, 04:45 PM
For fries , I prefer mayo, (not that miracle whip bullshit). Catsup is for kids. It's so sweet it's practically a tomato based candy.

Campfire Sauce is Mayo, Hickory BBQ and chipotle powder.

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup Hickory Honey Sweet Baby Ray's [some say Bulls-Eye] barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder

- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Refrigerate to blend flavors; serve as a dipping sauce for french fries or other foods.

listopencil
05-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Campfire Sauce is Mayo, Hickory BBQ and chipotle powder.

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup Hickory Honey Sweet Baby Ray's [some say Bulls-Eye] barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder

- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Refrigerate to blend flavors; serve as a dipping sauce for french fries or other foods.

Can't stand mayo, but sub out some plain greek yogurt and I'm in.

mdchiefsfan
06-01-2014, 08:46 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/co5GTmDU4oY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy!
02-10-2016, 09:49 AM
I tried some Annie's. It was pretty darn good. And French's (the mustard people) have starting making ketchup, which is also quite good.

Fire Me Boy!
02-10-2016, 09:50 AM

Just for you
Posted via Mobile Device

And since I saw this while perusing the thread, any Amish ketchup, SAUTO?

Baby Lee
02-10-2016, 10:08 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gclIIayWDf0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy!
05-21-2018, 07:47 PM
So Hellman’s is making ketchup now. And Heinz is making mayo.

WTF is happening?

Rain Man
05-21-2018, 08:17 PM
I've seen this statement in a couple of places recently, and I'm skeptical. Do any of our food experts want to weigh in on this?

https://www.thekitchn.com/heinz-ketchup-tastes-better-because-of-science-food-news-207290

Even with the move to artisanal and homemade, why do so many notable restaurants still serve their French fries with a side of Heinz?

As it turns out, the recipe for Heinz is almost perfect since it hits on all five tastes—sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and umami.

Even though the science of taste wasn't fully understood when Heinz developed their ketchup recipe, extensive testing or dumb luck led them to a formula that satisfies all of our cravings.

srvy
05-21-2018, 08:39 PM
No better than Heinz Ketchup in the bottle Heinz in a squeeze bottle is watery and no better than a bargain brand.

Nickhead
05-21-2018, 09:05 PM
https://shop.coles.com.au/wcsstore/Coles-CAS/images/8/8/4/8849054.jpg

:D