PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Husain Abdullah proves he belongs again as starting free safety

Tribal Warfare
06-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Chiefs’ Husain Abdullah proves he belongs again as starting free safety (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article470609/Chiefs%E2%80%99-Husain-Abdullah-proves-he-belongs-again-as-starting-free-safety.html)

A year ago, Chiefs safety Husain Abdullah was feeling his way around the secondary, fighting off a season’s worth of rust.

He was playing with a new team and learning a new scheme after spending a year out of football.

Abdullah, a practicing Muslim, had taken his family on a spiritual journey to Saudi Arabia instead of playing for the Minnesota Vikings in 2012, and after a year away, it wasn’t easy running stride for stride with fast receivers or latching onto hot spirals thrown by quarterbacks.

Abdullah won a spot on the roster as an extra defensive back on passing downs and finished second on the team with 10 special teams tackles.

And now, with the departure of Kendrick Lewis in free agency, Abdullah has taken over the starting free safety spot.

“Last year, it was kind of crazy coming in, coming off a year off, just trying to prove I belong, just trying to get back in,” said Abdullah, who had started all 24 games he had played in with the Vikings in 2010-11.

“A year later, being in the plan, being in the mix, getting more reps from day one … what a difference a year makes. There’s still a lot of work to do. I’ve been there before in my career. I’m excited. I want to win the battle to be that guy again. But nothing is settled yet.”

Abdullah, too, was a free agent at the end of last season, but even if Lewis had not left for the Houston Texans, he wanted to stay with the Chiefs.

“I’m not a fortune teller,” said Abdullah, who signed a two-year contract. “(General manager John) Dorsey and Coach (Andy) Reid were the first ones to give me a call … they’re being aware of who I am and of me as a person and not just another guy. … It was a place where they wanted to give me a shot and I wanted a shot.”

Though Abdullah, 28, is listed as a free safety, he can be found almost anywhere in the secondary, lining up in the box as a linebacker in the nickel defense, or in the slot as an extra cornerback, or playing deep in the base defense.

“Everybody is physically talented at this level, especially those guys in the back end at safety, because they’re in so many different roles,” said Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith. “They get put in so many situations, and (Abdullah) sniffs out what they’re trying to do him and is able to get a bead on it.

“He does such a good job of diagnosing and recognizing what (offenses) are doing.”

Pro Bowl strong safety Eric Berry, who lamented the loss of Lewis when the offseason program began, has come to value Abdullah’s abilities during the first two weeks of Organized Team Activities.

“We’re working every day, and not just on the field, but we meet outside of football …” Berry said. “It’s a part of building that chemistry, talking about things, knowing where he’s going to be at, knowing where we’re going to be at.

“He’s extremely smart. One thing I take from him is his work ethic and his attention to detail. He’s very particular about things, especially in his technique, so I pay close attention to him and try to take notice as much as I can.”

Abdullah’s work ethic won the respect of his teammates, who voted him as one of six team captains for the 2013 postseason.

He responded in the wild-card game at Indianapolis by intercepting two Andrew Luck passes in the second half of what turned out to be a bitter 45-44 loss.

Abdullah intercepted Luck on the first play of the second half, setting up a touchdown that gave the Chiefs a 38-10 lead, and he intercepted Luck again with less than 6 minutes to go, setting up a field goal for what looked like an insurmountable 41-24 advantage.

“Everybody made a bunch of individual plays, but collectively, we didn’t get the job done,” Abdullah said. “We’re out here working and doing all the extra work and thinking about that game.

“It’s something to build off of. It’s not something to run away from or hide from. We’re going to look at that and say, ‘We had it, we just didn’t finish it.’ This year is all about finishing.”

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-03-2014, 06:04 PM
41-24 with 6 minutes left. :shake:

TLO
06-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Extra fluff please.

Hammock Parties
06-03-2014, 06:06 PM
A Jihad on Manning!

Deberg_1990
06-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Why couldnt he beat out Lewis?

anustart
06-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Who were the other five team captains for the playoff game?

Baby Lee
06-03-2014, 06:17 PM
A Jihad on Manning!

I think you mean fatwa, but anyway.

Hydrae
06-03-2014, 06:19 PM
It will be interesting to see how this defense reacts to that loss. There is plenty of talent on that side of the ball as we saw early last year. If they can recreate that and extend it through the season, this could be a fun year.

But I thought that last year too.

DaWolf
06-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Not that it's an less epic, but that was less than 6 mins left in the third quarter. I'm not sure it's possible to blow that lead with 6 minutes left in a game...

Frosty
06-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Not that it's an less epic, but that was less than 6 mins left in the third quarter. I'm not sure it's possible to blow that lead with 6 minutes left in a game...

KEEP FUCKING DOUBTING THE CHIEFS!!!!!!!! :cuss:

Reerun_KC
06-03-2014, 06:35 PM

Only the chiefs. True fans celebrate that noise and hope.

Halfcan
06-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Pro Bowl strong safety Eric Berry, who lamented the loss of Lewis when the offseason program began, has come to value Abdullah’s abilities during the first two weeks of Organized Team Activities.

Didn't we all.... I am not sure the Franchise will ever recover after the loss of Kendrick.

saphojunkie
06-03-2014, 06:47 PM
A Jihad on Manning!

http://i.imgur.com/36DVbRG.gif

WhiteWhale
06-03-2014, 07:15 PM

Why didn't Charles beat out Larry Johnson? He was the best RB on the roster the day he signed his rookie contract.

He wasn't great, but he looked better than Lewis to ME when he was out there.

Rausch
06-03-2014, 07:16 PM
He wasn't great, but he looked better than Lewis to ME when he was out there.

Of the options we currently have I like him the best...

WhiteWhale
06-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Of the options we currently have I like him the best...

Yeah.

I'm not throwing out a glowing endorsement here, but I do think that this is ultimately an upgrade. I really think, at worst, he ends up being a push with Lewis.

Like it or not Andy Reid has always shown a tendency to ignore the safety position (he inherited Dawkins) and stock up at corner. I wouldn't expect him to do anything drastic to fill the role. I just don't think he puts much value in the position. He's always prefered beefing up the DL and pass rush.

Coochie liquor
06-03-2014, 07:21 PM
He was playing well in the playoff game until Flowers got hurt and we had to move people around. 2 ints and 6 tackles.

Coochie liquor
06-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Yeah.

I'm not throwing out a glowing endorsement here, but I do think that this is ultimately an upgrade. I really think, at worst, he ends up being a push with Lewis.

Like it or not Andy Reid has always shown a tendency to ignore the safety position (he inherited Dawkins) and stock up at corner. I wouldn't expect him to do anything drastic to fill the role. I just don't think he puts much value in the position. He's always prefered beefing up the DL and pass rush.

But maybe Sutton will be in his ear about it. And surely Dorsey understands the importance of the safety position.

tecumseh
06-03-2014, 07:38 PM
His playoff performance got him the job. Happy upgrades.

WhiteWhale
06-03-2014, 07:41 PM
But maybe Sutton will be in his ear about it. And surely Dorsey understands the importance of the safety position.

Honestly I found it astounding that he could undervalue the position after seeing what Dawkins brought to his defense for so long.

milkman
06-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Honestly I found it astounding that he could undervalue the position after seeing what Dawkins brought to his defense for so long.

Andy Reid is something of a relic when it comes to defense.

Without Jim Johnson, those Eagles teams would probably have accomplished as much as the Cowboys have in the last 10 years.

Marcellus
06-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Only the chiefs. True fans celebrate that noise and hope.

If only that stat were true to support the black cloud hanging over your head.

Mr. Laz
06-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Muslim terrorist

Reerun_KC
06-03-2014, 08:02 PM
If only that stat were true to support the black cloud hanging over your head.

Hell have had one since 1988 when i first started following this franchise.

I would give your nuts to a hungry midget just to see the chiefs lose a superbowl.

Ragged Robin
06-03-2014, 08:05 PM

ROFL it's comical isn't it?

Marcellus
06-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Hell have had one since 1988 when i first started following this franchise.

I would give your nuts to a hungry midget just to see the chiefs lose a superbowl.

Thats fine but the constant hyperbole is tired.

Some of you are like hipster black beret wearing wannabe beat poets constantly lamenting the pain your lives.

Give it a fucking rest already.

TLO
06-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I wonder what would happen if he pulled an Aldon Smith?

Reerun_KC
06-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Thats fine but the constant hyperbole is tired.

Some of you are like hipster black beret wearing wannabe beat poets constantly lamenting the pain your lives.

Give it a fucking rest already.

The constant failure is just as tired. Just because you are a grown man wearing a chiefs cheer leading outfit doest mean i have to agree with you.

Carry on with your pom poms.

BossChief
06-03-2014, 08:26 PM
The guy can play. Getting him on a 2 year deal for NOTHING is the value signing of the offseason.

Too bad we couldn't add a couple more value signings like Chris Clemons or Evan Deitrich Smith...I'd sign Richie Incognito right now, too.

Fisher
Hudson
Deitrich Smith
Incognito
Stephenson

Me likey

Marcellus
06-03-2014, 08:28 PM
The constant failure is just as tired. Just because you are a grown man wearing a chiefs cheer leading outfit doest mean i have to agree with you.

Constant failure would by this standard describe 20 out of 32 teams. Yes we havent won a playoff game in X years. But the end result a SB hasn't been won by many either.

Discuss Thrower
06-03-2014, 08:28 PM
I'd sign Richie Incognito right now, too.

If only he didn't bash his own luxury car or molest a woman.

Reerun_KC
06-03-2014, 08:29 PM
The guy can play. Getting him on a 2 year deal for NOTHING is the value signing of the offseason.

Too bad we couldn't add a couple more value signings like Chris Clemons or Evan Deitrich Smith...I'd sign Richie Incognito right now, too.

Out OL needs serious hell especially st LT. A pile dog shit would be an upgrade over glass fisher.

Mr. Laz
06-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Out OL needs serious hell especially st LT. A pile dog shit would be an upgrade over glass fisher.

you're an idiot

scratch that

you're a fucking idiot

Messier
06-03-2014, 08:34 PM

I think your fingers had a stroke.

InChiefsHeaven
06-03-2014, 08:40 PM

I wasn't overly crazy about the Fisher pick...but that's a really stupid thing to say.

Baby Lee
06-03-2014, 09:07 PM

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqdgugdWzj1qludboo1_500.gif

Coochie liquor
you're an idiot

scratch that

you're a fucking idiot

This, and then some!! They must be eating big bags of dicks over on the Dung-keys board and Reerun is feeling very inadequate, so he's here being shallow.

Mr. Laz
I wasn't overly crazy about the Fisher pick...but that's a really stupid thing to say.

He had a shoulder injury early in the year and he toughed it out. That is really tough injury for OL, especially a rookie who just flipped to the other side of the center. Team should have probably sat him but they didn't and he ended up needing shoulder surgery.

sounds like a pretty tough kid to me

Just think how much better he will be without the injury

He didn't play nearly as bad as some douche nozzles around here are action like either

xztop123
06-03-2014, 09:58 PM
I dont get it. in our D ( like seattles) the FS is the most important position in the back 7...

Hopefully he can at least run

xztop123
06-03-2014, 10:00 PM
I wish Berry played FS and Comings played SS with Abdulah getting playing time in sub packages (until the rookie DB catches stride)

Mr_Tomahawk
06-03-2014, 10:02 PM
I wish Berry played FS and Comings played SS with Abdulah getting playing time in sub packages (until the rookie DB catches stride)

It could still happen...

xztop123
06-03-2014, 10:15 PM
It could still happen...

Hopefully so. But I'd expect him to struggle somewhat. Not a lot... and he'd be back to getting 5 + ints a year

Mr. Laz
06-03-2014, 10:16 PM
It could still happen...ROFL

my shit could smell like rainbows and roses too but we all know that ain't happening

Romeo screwed us

BossChief
06-03-2014, 10:24 PM
ROFL

my shit could smell like rainbows and roses too but we all know that ain't happening

Romeo screwed us

It started with Kiffen.

Ancient ball coaches like Kiffen, Romeo and Sutton all think alike.

"Stop the run first"

Meanwhile you draft a safety top five and don't let his speed, ball skills or playmaking ability shine. It's a shame

xztop123
06-03-2014, 10:36 PM
It started with Kiffen.

Ancient ball coaches like Kiffen, Romeo and Sutton all think alike.

"Stop the run first"

Meanwhile you draft a safety top five and don't let his speed, ball skills or playmaking ability shine. It's a shame

Probably so. I think its obvious you want your best athletes in the areas of the most space. Also what hes doing a lot of is covering tight ends, which was what Comings was billed as when we drafted him.

COmings can never play FS so hes either a career backup or berry moves to FS

Psyko Tek
06-03-2014, 11:12 PM

this is why I have doubts about Sutton
no half time adjustments and NO changes in bad play

BRING BACK GUNTHER

{sarcasm mode}

OldSchool
06-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Yeah.

This is completely false. He did not ignore the safety position at all.

He took Quintin Demps in 2008.

He took Victor Harris in 2009.

He then drafted Nate Allen in the 2nd round and Kurt Coleman in the 7th in 2010.

He drafted Jaiquawn Jarrett in the 2nd round in 2011.

That's 4 drafts in a row where he drafted safeties in an effort to replace Dawkins. Now, they didn't pan out like he had hoped, but that's a far cry from ignoring the position like you assumed.

Sorter
06-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Probably so. I think its obvious you want your best athletes in the areas of the most space. Also what hes doing a lot of is covering tight ends, which was what Comings was billed as when we drafted him.

COmings can never play FS so hes either a career backup or berry moves to FS

Why?

xztop123
06-03-2014, 11:59 PM
Why?

Frame size

Easy 6
06-04-2014, 05:19 AM
Frame size

6'0 223 isn't big enough for safety?

Okie dokie...

beach tribe
06-04-2014, 05:37 AM
He was playing well in the playoff game until Flowers got hurt and we had to move people around. 2 ints and 6 tackles.

Shit, he's the only one who played well after that happened. At Corner no less.

Baby Lee
06-04-2014, 08:47 AM

Okie dokie...

He means frame rate, . . . err Aspect Ratio!!

RunKC
06-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Love it that we are having Berry play FS in minicamp. I can see Commings playing some strong safety at times.

Still would have been awesome to have Jimmie Ward, but Dorsey believes in Commings. Guess we'll see how that plays out.

xztop123
06-04-2014, 10:50 AM

Okie dokie...

Too large for FS

xztop123
06-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Love it that we are having Berry play FS in minicamp. I can see Commings playing some strong safety at times.

Still would have been awesome to have Jimmie Ward, but Dorsey believes in Commings. Guess we'll see how that plays out.

Where did u read EB was playing FS?

Chief Roundup
06-04-2014, 10:52 AM

They are do you have a link to that info. I would love to read it for myself.

Dunerdr
06-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Where did u read EB was playing FS?

I saw on fb somewhere and maybe in the Ora thread EB had some time as the single high.

Dunerdr
06-04-2014, 10:56 AM
At first it was disorienting for Eric Berry. He was back on the field with the Chiefs defense for OTA practices and his running mate was nowhere to be found.

Berry and Kendrick Lewis came into the league together in 2010 – Berry was the Chiefs first-round selection, Lewis was taken in the fifth round. But they quickly became starters at strong (Berry) and free (Lewis) safety in the defense under the direction of coordinator Romeo Crennel. With the exception of injuries, they were on the field together for four seasons.

But the Chiefs made no real attempt to re-sign Lewis in this offseason and he landed in Houston. Berry remains in Kansas City, getting used to a new partner at safety in Husain Abdullah and also adjusting to his expanded role in making sure the rest of the defensive players are lined up in the right place.

That used to be Lewis’ job and he did that quite well. Now Berry inherits most of those duties. It also means that defensive coordinator Bob Sutton plans to play him more often at free safety than in his usual role of playing in the box and essentially being a linebacker in the Chiefs nickel and dime defensive packages.

“It’s exciting because that’s what I was accustomed to doing (at Tennessee),” Berry said of lining up at the back of the defense. “We are all prepared to be wherever they need us to be. We try to work and know all the moving parts.

“Just in talking to coach (Reid), he wants me to be the guy that knows what’s going on, make sure I’m stepping up and holding myself and my teammates accountable.”

Abdullah was also a free agent after the 2013 season, but the Chiefs moved quickly to sign him after he played so well last year in sub-defenses and on special teams. He returned an interception for a touchdown against Oakland and started in the playoffs against Indianapolis and had six tackles and two interceptions of Colts quarterback Andrew Luck.

His intelligence has impressed Berry as they go through the offseason OTA sessions, like the fourth practice they worked in on Tuesday.

“His work ethic and his attention to detail; I can learn something from him,” said Berry. “He’s very particular in his techniques and I pay close attention to him and take note of as many things as I can.

“We are working every day, not just on the field, but outside of football as well,” Berry added. “It’s not just him it’s everybody in the secondary. We are trying to build the chemistry. I have to know where he’s going to be and he has to know where I’m going to be.”

If where he’s going to be more often is at free safety, Berry is fine with the additional duties.

“Back there, it’s almost like backyard football,” Berry said. “You are just reading the quarterback or reading where the ball breaks out and getting to it. You have to have high energy and run to the ball at all times.”

ThaVirus
06-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Too large for FS

He's a converted cornerback. Given his size and skill set, he could probably play any position in the secondary.

I'm not too knowledgable on his play, but he had a hit with a real good pop on Knowshon Moreno in the handful of plays he got this past season. SS wouldn't be my first guess but he could at least fill in from time to time I'd imagine..

xztop123
06-04-2014, 11:01 AM
I wonder if Berry might have to lose some weight, he has bulked up a lot to play his SS/linebacker role

xztop123
06-04-2014, 11:02 AM
He's a converted cornerback. Given his size and skill set, he could probably play any position in the secondary.

I'm not too knowledgable on his play, but he had a hit with a real good pop on Knowshon Moreno in the handful of plays he got this past season. SS wouldn't be my first guess but he could at least fill in from time to time I'd imagine..

Your skillset doesn't determine your position as much as weight does. It works for the back 7 too, not just the front 7... 230 is far too heavy to play FS

ThaVirus
06-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Your skillset doesn't determine your position as much as weight does. It works for the back 7 too, not just the front 7... 230 is far too heavy to play FS

That's bullshit.

Your weight only determines your position if it's a detriment to your ability to play it, i.e a LB needing to weigh over 230 and the difference in 3-4 and 4-3 DTs, DEs, and OLBs. It's much more important for players in the front 7 because no matter how strong or fast you are, if you don't have the size you're going to get washed out far too often.

If Sanders weighs 220 and moves like a guy that's 200, he can play FS or SS.

Sandy Vagina
06-04-2014, 11:13 AM

http://www.thehogs.net/sean-taylor/sean-wallpaper-470.jpg

xztop123
06-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Sean Taylor wasnt playing single high. in a cover 2 system the FS and SS are more interchangeable positions.

Also he was taller so his frame was a lot diff... SC is 6'0 230 thats a very high BMI for a FS

Chief Roundup
06-04-2014, 11:20 AM
At first it was disorienting for Eric Berry. He was back on the field with the Chiefs defense for OTA practices and his running mate was nowhere to be found.

Berry and Kendrick Lewis came into the league together in 2010 – Berry was the Chiefs first-round selection, Lewis was taken in the fifth round. But they quickly became starters at strong (Berry) and free (Lewis) safety in the defense under the direction of coordinator Romeo Crennel. With the exception of injuries, they were on the field together for four seasons.

But the Chiefs made no real attempt to re-sign Lewis in this offseason and he landed in Houston. Berry remains in Kansas City, getting used to a new partner at safety in Husain Abdullah and also adjusting to his expanded role in making sure the rest of the defensive players are lined up in the right place.

That used to be Lewis’ job and he did that quite well. Now Berry inherits most of those duties. It also means that defensive coordinator Bob Sutton plans to play him more often at free safety than in his usual role of playing in the box and essentially being a linebacker in the Chiefs nickel and dime defensive packages.

“It’s exciting because that’s what I was accustomed to doing (at Tennessee),” Berry said of lining up at the back of the defense. “We are all prepared to be wherever they need us to be. We try to work and know all the moving parts.

“Just in talking to coach (Reid), he wants me to be the guy that knows what’s going on, make sure I’m stepping up and holding myself and my teammates accountable.”

Abdullah was also a free agent after the 2013 season, but the Chiefs moved quickly to sign him after he played so well last year in sub-defenses and on special teams. He returned an interception for a touchdown against Oakland and started in the playoffs against Indianapolis and had six tackles and two interceptions of Colts quarterback Andrew Luck.

His intelligence has impressed Berry as they go through the offseason OTA sessions, like the fourth practice they worked in on Tuesday.

“His work ethic and his attention to detail; I can learn something from him,” said Berry. “He’s very particular in his techniques and I pay close attention to him and take note of as many things as I can.

“We are working every day, not just on the field, but outside of football as well,” Berry added. “It’s not just him it’s everybody in the secondary. We are trying to build the chemistry. I have to know where he’s going to be and he has to know where I’m going to be.”

If where he’s going to be more often is at free safety, Berry is fine with the additional duties.

“Back there, it’s almost like backyard football,” Berry said. “You are just reading the quarterback or reading where the ball breaks out and getting to it. You have to have high energy and run to the ball at all times.”

If it were to work out this way the move of Eric Berry to FS would be the biggest impact move to the defense all off season.

Don't mean to be a dick or anything but I would like a link to this article.

Chief Roundup
06-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Sean Taylor wasnt playing single high. in a cover 2 system the FS and SS are more interchangeable positions.

Also he was taller so his frame was a lot diff... SC is 6'0 230 thats a very high BMI for a FS

Taylor played at 215 most of the time.

xztop123
06-04-2014, 11:25 AM
That's bullshit.

Your weight only determines your position if it's a detriment to your ability to play it, i.e a LB needing to weigh over 230 and the difference in 3-4 and 4-3 DTs, DEs, and OLBs. It's much more important for players in the front 7 because no matter how strong or fast you are, if you don't have the size you're going to get washed out far too often.

If Sanders weighs 220 and moves like a guy that's 200, he can play FS or SS.

The thing is the only way you can transition from 200 to 220 and keep movement skills is with muscle. Muscle naturally limits range of motion (why JACKED pitchers/QB's never work) A good example is Taylor Mays, a guy with great pure speed but lacked ROM and flexibility in the hips.

Naturally large framed guys (guys that can be heavy without a lot of muscle, bone mass) are almost never as fast or quick. But in general thats what the NFL is, and makes them unique, naturally large framed fast guys....

At this point the positional weights are pretty much down to a science

thabear04
06-04-2014, 11:34 AM
If it were to work out this way the move of Eric Berry to FS would be the biggest impact move to the defense all off season.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/berry-prepping-for-work-at-strong-free-safety.html

ThaVirus
06-04-2014, 11:42 AM
The thing is the only way you can transition from 200 to 220 and keep movement skills is with muscle. Muscle naturally limits range of motion (why JACKED pitchers/QB's never work) A good example is Taylor Mays, a guy with great pure speed but lacked ROM and flexibility in the hips.

Naturally large framed guys (guys that can be heavy without a lot of muscle, bone mass) are almost never as fast or quick. But in general thats what the NFL is, and makes them unique, naturally large framed fast guys....

At this point the positional weights are pretty much down to a science

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Bigger players are usually less fluid than smaller ones; everyone knows that. It still doesn't stop certain guys from playing certain positions. Robert Mathis used to play 4-3 DE at 240. Brandon Browner is playing CB at 6'4 220. Eric Berry plays LB in our nickel at 205..

Also, Sanders isn't transitioning from 200 to 220. As far as I can tell, he's always been pretty heavy. In fact, the lowest weight I can find for him is 217.

RunKC
06-04-2014, 11:45 AM
They are do you have a link to that info. I would love to read it for myself.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/berry-prepping-for-work-at-strong-free-safety.html

Chief Roundup
06-04-2014, 11:56 AM

Thank you both very much.

Rausch
06-04-2014, 11:57 AM

It doesn't sound like he's moving from one to another. It sounds more like they're going to move him around more in packages and mix things up.

I think Berry would be fine full time at FS. I was hoping they'd play him there when he was drafted but...

salame
06-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Chiefs’ Husain Abdullah proves he belongs again as starting free safety...in college

Chief Roundup
06-04-2014, 12:32 PM
It doesn't sound like he's moving from one to another. It sounds more like they're going to move him around more in packages and mix things up.

I think Berry would be fine full time at FS. I was hoping they'd play him there when he was drafted but...

Yeah move might have been a little strong. If he is playing both roles it will/could help hide what we are planning to do on defense on that particular down especially if Abdullah can play S or CB. Disguising coverages would help.

BossChief
06-04-2014, 01:33 PM
If they really do plan to use Berry as a free safety more often and we can get the freshman/sophomore version of Berry out there as a single high guy a lot more, this defense has a chance to perform at an elite level.

Dunerdr
06-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Abdullah plays more like how berths been used correct? Maybe they'll both just switch around based on matchup Ect.

Chief Roundup
06-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Abdullah plays more like how berths been used correct? Maybe they'll both just switch around based on matchup Ect.

What?

Easy 6
06-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Too large for FS

No, he's not... the guy runs in the low 4.4's and used to play corner.

He's perfect for FS.

Dunerdr
06-04-2014, 04:59 PM
What?

Fucking spell check. Abdullah plays well in the box like how Urc burry has been used correct? So maybe they'll both cover a little of both positions based on match up. I think it was the bengals or maybe lions who don't play with truly defined strong and free safeties.

jonzie04
06-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Sounds like they've been playing Abdullah a lot at ilb on passing downs. I had no idea he was that good of a tackler. This defense has a shot to be one of the best in the nfl this year. Hopefully cooper can get rid of his rookie mistakes and show those flashes of greatness more often. The corners will all have a much better season with berry at fs, and if Abdullah can cover pretty well from the ilb/ss spot. Vance should help tremendously with the inside pressure we were lacking last year. And hopefully Dee can step up to help keep hali and Houston fresh. If he can that would also help out the secondary. Hopefully one of the d lineman can play nose so poe can get off the field every now and then. And guys like commings and parker should add nice depth. Mays should be decent on runs and hopefully his big hits can help rally the team.

Easy 6
06-04-2014, 05:17 PM
While I still think Abdullah is a bit slow for FS, theres absolutely no way he's not an improvement on Lewis, the defense WILL be better with him than Lewis.

Throw in Commings coming in for spot/package duty and we're certainly better in the back end.

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that all of this talk from coaches and players about "oh gosh, we're just going to miss his genius calls and leadership back there sooo much, guys are really going to have to step up to fill his shoes"... is a bunch of shit, done out of respect for a former player/teammate.

That guy was the prime culprit in more blown plays than Bernard Pollard, all of the praise is just camaraderie talking, IMO.

xztop123
06-04-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Bigger players are usually less fluid than smaller ones; everyone knows that. It still doesn't stop certain guys from playing certain positions. Robert Mathis used to play 4-3 DE at 240. Brandon Browner is playing CB at 6'4 220. Eric Berry plays LB in our nickel at 205..

Also, Sanders isn't transitioning from 200 to 220. As far as I can tell, he's always been pretty heavy. In fact, the lowest weight I can find for him is 217.

Berry might be the craziest one because he plays Mike backer at 205 or something. I would guess Mathis has a high BMI (hes not very tall) and has abnormally long arms for his height.

Browner was on a shit ton of roids and the job's Seattle has their CB's do is very unique.